Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: The Adirondacks

• Start Topic

57 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Given that he was trying for a Princess Bride Priest impression I was thinking he's officiating.

I agreed with this before, but now I think he was preparing to toast Kate and Philip, since he asked for and received permission to make fun of him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm still so shocked by the twist at the end, that I forgot to mention other lovely moments in the show:  Miguel being the 'funny" Grandpa giving fun hugs to the girls, Miguel loves being a Grandpa.  Then Uncle Nicky is wandering around with his I-Pad, videoing everything.  I loved Rebecca at the end with her 3 children, telling them everything will be OK.  And was it mentioned anytime in the show, where the Twins were?  Was somebody watching them?

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I'm still so shocked by the twist at the end, that I forgot to mention other lovely moments in the show:  Miguel being the 'funny" Grandpa giving fun hugs to the girls, Miguel loves being a Grandpa.  Then Uncle Nicky is wandering around with his I-Pad, videoing everything.  I loved Rebecca at the end with her 3 children, telling them everything will be OK.  And was it mentioned anytime in the show, where the Twins were?  Was somebody watching them?

They have a nanny, so probably her.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

He was about 15 when she was born? The baby's mother's family wanted to give her up for adoption, so his parents chose to be named guardians.  If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

This show handles adoption/guardianship very unrealistically, so it’s certainly possible that’s the way the show did it. In real life though, teen parents are legally their children’s parents and age alone isn’t a good enough reason to lose guardianship. Malik would still be Jennelle’s guardian unless he willingly gave her up or a court terminated his parental rights. I assumed they went to court to terminate Jennifer’s rights, but retained Malik’s since he is still very much Jennelle’s father.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I have a few bridesmaid dresses I only wore 1 time, who remakes your bridesmaid dress the morning of because it's not you? A bridesmaid dress isn't about you. Tess is just a brat and that shouldn't have been allowed, it should have been suck it up and wear it for a few hours then you can take it off. 

I'm guessing Kevin paid for the dresses, too. (Obviously Tess didn't pay for it herself.) I did like her apology to Beth, but I guess that wouldn't have happened if Beth had told her to suck it up and wear what the bride chose for one day. Beth spends too much time tiptoeing around her, regardless of what kind of slippers she's wearing.

• Love 24
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

This show handles adoption/guardianship very unrealistically, so it’s certainly possible that’s the way the show did it. In real life though, teen parents are legally their children’s parents and age alone isn’t a good enough reason to lose guardianship. Malik would still be Jennelle’s guardian unless he willingly gave her up or a court terminated his parental rights. I assumed they went to court to terminate Jennifer’s rights, but retained Malik’s since he is still very much Jennelle’s father.

Would Malik's parents being named Jennelle's legal guardian terminate Malik's parental rights if he's underaged?  That is, would their guardianship of her terminate in favor of Malik when he reached 18?

I'm fairly sure, though, that if Malik's parents are claiming him and Janelle as dependents (and presumably would have received the last round of government aid on their behalf), their income will be counted for college.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse

A wedding is about the bride.

And she chooses her bridesmaids and matron of honor if one. The groom as well.

I doubt either one wants their chosen friends to make their statement at their wedding.

• Love 10

Tess has just become the absolute worst character this season.  When she started whining about the bridesmaid dress (and why is she a bridesmaid, by the way?  I know Madison has no friends but neither does Kevin so it seems like they'd only need Kate and Randall up there with them), I was hoping Beth would tell her to shut the hell up, but no such luck.  Fingers crossed that her apology means that they're done with this terrible version of the character and she goes back to being a tolerable human being next season.

And is Annie off shooting Shazam 2?  Is that why we've barely seen her lately?

The only other explanation I can come up with for the Kate/British guy marriage (besides the obvious Kate and Toby just grew apart and divorced) is that it's a greencard marriage and Kate/Toby just temporarily divorced so that the British guy won't get deported.  Doubt that's it though as that'd be completely insane and greencard weddings tend to be courthouse affairs, not whatever full on ballroom experience that wedding appeared to be.  

I feel like the writers are giving themselves some wiggle room with the Kevin/Madison thing.  The way the did the flashforward, they could be together or just friends.  Maybe the writers are waiting to see how people react to tonight's show?  If people are upset with the breakup, they end up back together and if the opposite is true, they can just stay broken up.  The availability of the actress who plays Sophie might also factor in.  If she's too busy to shoot multiple episodes, Madison it is!  

Also, Randall is a "rising star"?  Does that mean he's running for some bigger political office?  Oh lord, so many opportunities for speeches...

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
(edited)

Reading through the Reddit This Is Us at the moment; there's speculation that Madison and Kate's boss might be half-siblings since Madison's mom is British, and if Kevin/Madison are together in the future in some way that could explain the "future brother-in-law" comment in a way that doesn't mean a Kate/Kate's boss marriage.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

The difference in the ODAT plot with Elena changing her outfit to something that more reflected her was that it was an event where she was the center.  It was her event.  She got to dress how she wanted.  Tess is in somebody else's wedding.  If Tess came out as NB or trans and needed not a dress I would have been more fine with it but girl just wanted to not look stuffy in a bridesmaid dress?  Suck it up, sister.

I thin the show wants me to care about Deja's angst over Malik's school situation but since we've seen Malik with Randall more this season than we have with Deja and because Deja's in 10th grade I'm having a hard time caring even a little bit about her angst over Malik's baby mama or his going away to school.

I really did expect that Kate would be married by 2030, at least, but I really thought it was going to be Timothy Omundson not the music teacher.   

1 minute ago, Snapdragon said:

The only other explanation I can come up with for the Kate/British guy marriage (besides the obvious Kate and Toby just grew apart and divorced) is that it's a greencard marriage and Kate/Toby just temporarily divorced so that the British guy won't get deported.  Doubt that's it though as that'd be completely insane and greencard weddings tend to be courthouse affairs, not whatever full on ballroom experience that wedding appeared to be.  

But she said this is the last time she is ever getting married if she and Toby were temporary divorced she'd be planning to remarry Toby at some point... I mean saying that now doesn't mean she and Toby won't remarry in or after 2030.  Life is long and complicated.  But if she and Toby's split was meant to be temporary she wouldn't be so certain this was her last ever wedding.

• Love 8

Quote of the night: ".....my brain won't actually allow me to add him to scenes sometimes.....". If only that applied to the writers!  Those scenes were pointless.  I FF'd through their "wedding." And we have another season of useless Jack scenes to come.

3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

But Kate dumps Toby for the teacher?! What the hell?!?

That is who that was?!!!  I thought this show was based in reality.  Silly me.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Let's go back to this show's constant dismissal of geography for a minute.
Last week, for Madison's bachelorette party, Beth flew out to California with the girls who stayed at a hotel supposedly just before the wedding. After the party, Rebecca Ubered back to her L.A. area home and was on the phone with Miguel, who had flown to the PA cabin with Kevin, Nicky and Toby on the private jet Kevin rented for all of them.
So will someone please explain why this episode opens with Rebecca and Miguel at Randall's house in Philadelphia while Randall, Beth and the girls are heading for the airport?
I'm definitely confused.

At first I thought they were in Philly but I think that was Miguel and Rebecca's house in California? 

• Love 1
(edited)

Beth, you know I love you, but the answer to Tess is, suck it up for a few hours. But she couldn’t resist being Super Mom.

I was a little nervous when Randy P told Rebecca that Laurel was his birth mom that the next line was going to be, but you’re my mom.

Will Miguel, who ran a multi-million dollar construction company, help Kevin build her the house Jack would have?

Love you, Nicky.

Edited by buttersister
Beth’s Achilles heel.
  • Love 6

Not sure why Malik would want to go to Harvard instead of staying in Philadelphia where he has his parents and Deja as support for him with his daughter.  Could the reason be that the child's birth mother, who has said she wants to be more involved in her child's life, lives  in Boston?

If he decides to go to Harvard instead of Penn, it would certainly fit in with all the other major decisions characters are making in this episode without discussing it with their partners.

• Love 10

Of course Kate Pearson is so magical that the grumpy English music teacher goes from not wanting to work with her, to not accepting her resignation, to later apparently falling in love with her. 🙄

4 hours ago, mtlchick said:

And it seems in 5 years Kevin revives his dad’s business and leaves acting behind. And Randall becomes a rising star in something. Nicky puts on weight and Rebecca…is nowhere to be seen. Eep.

There's no reason he can't do both. George Clooney has continued to act while building a billion-dollar tequila brand (and he also happens to have young boy/girl twins).

3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I can't feel too bad for Toby.  He never told Kate about the job in San Francisco until he got the offer.  He had time to tell Kate about it, but chose not to.  He then accepted the job before talking to her and drops the bomb on Kevin's wedding day. 

He said he had just gotten the offer letter, not that he'd accepted. Companies usually give candidates 3-5 business days to sign and return the offer letter.

2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

See everyone in September......or later. 

Someone in the media thread posted that S6 will start airing in January 2022 and air without breaks.

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Reading through the Reddit This Is Us at the moment; there's speculation that Madison and Kate's boss might be half-siblings since Madison's mom is British, and if Kevin/Madison are together in the future in some way that could explain the "future brother-in-law" comment in a way that doesn't mean a Kate/Kate's boss marriage.

Before Laurel came back to life, I'd have said that this theory is way too soapy, but now I wouldn't put it past them.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Oh you mean if I don’t like a bridesmaid dress I can just alter it myself on the actual wedding day? If only I knew that a couple times lol. How selfish and stupid. Tess is a dumb bitchy brat. Not everything is about her and if she feels comfortable ugh.

Oh of course Kate can’t leave her part time job teaching music that she started recently. She’s too special and it’s too important. Lol give me a break. I’m sure there’s similar schools in SF. If her and Toby break up because of long distance then they are both a joke. And if she’s actually getting married to her boss from the school how idiotic.

I FF Randall and Rebecca. Randall is always having some crisis. Your birth mom was a joke Randall. She could’ve called you or tried looking for you a million times. Stop idolizing her.

This show continues to disappoint me.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 21

When Kate called her boss to resign, my husband said, "Oh, she's going to get with that guy now?" I didn't think much of it until the end...hubby totally called it! 

The bridesmaid dress thing was ridiculous. I could see maybe altering her hair or makeup if she wasn't feeling it, but the dress was a bit of a stretch. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Are we buying that Brit Music Teacher becomes all hot and bothered by Super Special Kate within five years time and they get married?  I don't see the chemistry there.  Grumpy British Guy is going to fall in love with Jack Jr. because of his blindness?  With another tot in the mix?  I don't see this.

• Love 15

I liked the scenes with Kevin and Madison. Dumb to call off a wedding at the last minute, but it obviously wasn't right and Madison had a right to know Kevin's true feelings. I didn't understand the rush for them to get married anyway. It's 2021. You can have a baby/babies without getting married. It's also nice to see a non-perfect, non-forever tru luv story (think Rebecca/Jack and Beth/Randall). I just hope it isn't leading to a Sophie/Kevin forever tru luv story. I learned a long time ago to never get too attached to a Kevin love interest...but he is getting better. The Madison flashback at the weight loss support group reminded me how much I used to dislike that character, so kudos to the writers and the actress for making her more relatable. 

As long as Rebecca is handing out apologies, how about apologizing to Kevin and Kate for openly favoring Randall? That has to be as big of a mistake as not talking about Randall's birth parents enough. Enough with all this everybody crying and bowing down to St. Randall. 

I agree with everyone about the bridesmaid dress. In previous episodes, Tess brought up some legitimate issues and there were some powerful scenes between her and Beth (it got me when she said "I know you're trying Mom, but you don't have to try with Deja and Annie and that's what hurts"). But this dress thing seemed so fake and forced. 

Every time Kate or Toby would get close with another non-related character on the show, I kept expecting them to cheat. Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Though for all we know, Toby might have ended it first. I think this episode also spelled the end of Deja and Malik. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Wow, I was not expecting that Kate would be marrying British guy five-years in the future.

Madison's mother really sucked. If you can't stand being married to your awful husband, why not take your kid with you? But good for Madison for not marrying a guy who can't even say he loves her. I want Kevin to be happy, but Madison deserves that.

I get Tess wanting to be seen as herself, but it is a bridesmaid dress. They are notoriously hated and people wear them to please the bride. It's a few hours. And it wasn't like her problem was wearing a dress or looking feminine, so it just seemed bratty. Also, Beth should have gotten the okay from Madison, not Kevin.

4 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

Found a fan theory online: "Maybe it's a wedding where Kevin marries the British guy's sister (thus, brother in law) and Kate and Toby renew their vows"

I have no theories, but DAMN, Chrissy Metz looked amazing in the flash forward!

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Exactly. Most formal gowns aren’t all that comfortable.  Why do they keep indulging Tess like that.  Compassion for your daughter is great, but what about teaching her to be patient and mindful of other peoples’s feelings.  She sure is a ME ME person.   

4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Its not that surprising that Toby and Kate aren't together in the future, considering how they keep springing huge life changing news on each other at really innoprirpiate times. I don't think packing for a long trip to a close relatives wedding is a great time to throw out "so I got a job in another city and you'll have to be alone with our young children three days a week also you need to quit the job you love but I really want this job so that's how it be" while your packing. That's a "lets sit down and talk about this over coffee" talk. I am pretty shocked though that she apparently went with the British teacher who refuses to accept resignations. This isnt indentured servitude guy, people are allowed to quit jobs. Kudos to the show, keeping me guessing and surprising me after five whole years. 

Oh yeah, Laurel was a real force of nature, spending decades never looking for her son or baby daddy and just selling vegetables at her aunts stand for her entire life never leaving her corner while awkwardly avoiding eye contact with her ex boyfriend until his wife and died and she could make a move. I guess it is kind of hard for Randall to explain the amazing regenerative powers of skinny dipping through alligator infested waters with your ghost bio mom. Also, we all know that Randal is Beth's favorite, but ouch maybe not at your other kids wedding? 

I am not surprised that Madison called it off, she was probably right that Kevin loved the idea of Madison and their family with the twins then Madison herself. It sucks, and I think that they could have grown closer and made it work, but this might be better in the long run. I really do hope that they both find people later on, Kevin has so badly wanted to find that special person for so long. 

I am glad that Tess apologized for being so crappy to Beth all season and that they made up, but she really couldn't just suck it up without all the sighing and pouting during her uncles wedding? The dress they made wasnt even all that nonbinary, if that was what was upsetting her, it was still feminine but now looks more grungy. I thought that her partner broke up with her, but no she's just angsting because she doesent like her dress, because no human in the history of weddings has ever had to wear something that they didnt want to for a wedding that they are in. Just tell her to smile and suck it up for a few hours, this isnt about her. 

For some reason this show thinks there is only one type of good mother/daughter relationship. That is when a daughter acts like a spoiled brat and the mother just smiles and indulges her every whim. Of course, Beth’s other 2 daughters are fairly nice, so I guess it is just Tess.

Jack would call Randall and Kevin out on their bad behavior but neither he or Rebecca ever seemed to hold Kate accountable for anything.

Chrissy did look good in her wedding gown and on the Tonight show with Jimmy Fallon.

Totally did not see the ending coming.

• Love 7
(edited)

Was definitely expecting another 2030 flash forward, not one five years into the future and on Kate's second wedding day. Count me in as surprised.

I think people scrambling to find some twisty explanation for it are wasting their times. This show doesn't really do that and we already pretty much knew Toby and Kate weren't married in 2030, given that he was alone and not wearing his wedding ring when Randall called him. At some point, their marriage falls apart (not surprising) and she gets with the Brit (which, can't believe more people have referenced his guest starring work on Modern Family and A Million Little Things, and I only saw one other person that knows him from his starring role on the excellent, You're the Worst). I will say, though, given that the most futuristic flash forwards we’ve seen so far have been about Toby and Kate’s grown up kids, I do think the show has set up a way for them to end up together still. I can totally see them revealing in the premiere that while Kate and Toby aren’t together in 2030, Kate’s marriage to Phillip is already done, and then by the finale, we find out they’re together again in the distant future, with the details left up to our imagination.

Anyways, Kevin and Madison were already pretty much just friends, she's still the mother of his children and Madison is Kate's best friend, so of course she was at Kate's wedding and friendly with him and the family in the future. I really don't see any reality where Kevin suddenly falls in love with her if he hasn't already or where she decides she doesn't deserve better after all. To me, all signs point to Kevin being married to someone else in 2030 (probably Sophie, popular choice or not), but Madison is still coming to the house to say goodbye to Rebecca with the family, and the wife is coming/somewhere there already, too.

Edited by colorbars
  • Love 8
(edited)

Kate's wedding dress was pretty but I thought she'd have less of a wedding being her second. I hope it's toward the end and maybe she can have the kids in it too. Fogleman is trying to add mystery to if Kevin gets married but we all see the ring in the future cabin episode. To have him marry or try to marry Madison again is lame though. It's only one year to go.

Writer Issac on the show said re Sophie and Kevin ""If he didn't feel anything for Sophie and if there was no — threat is the wrong word, but if there was no pull there from talking to her, then he wouldn't really feel the need to delete her number ..." Isaac explained to the outlet. "If you fully trust yourself and you don't have an addictive personality and you're not a little worried about what having access to that person means, then there was no need to delete the number. So I think that's another instance of Kevin trying really hard to do the right thing, but not fully trusting himself."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Ftv%2Fthis-is-us-season-5-finale-dan-fogelman-explains-wedding-twist-kate-future-season-6%2F&psig=AOvVaw2-ZaFVi2yK474LIl11KonL&ust=1622107190616000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLDRwauC5_ACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Perhaps the reality of Toby being away from home three days a week for an indefinite period took a much bigger toll on the couple than they initially expected.     

Maybe it becomes a 5 day week in SF. That would really cause a strain. 

Maybe Toby finds another Crossfit buddy while out there.

In the stress of it Kate relies and leans on the British music teacher. 

• Love 5

When I got married, my father officiated (retired minister).  He kicked off the sermon with "Mawage".  It was perfect. :)

I am disappointed about Kevin & Madison, but totally get it.  As soon as they showed the flashback of her dad telling her to just be happy with any guy who will take her to the dance, I knew she wasn't going through with it.

Rebecca was rightfully pissed that Jack taped over her show.  But Jack not remembering his wedding vows?  My husband and I have been married almost 6 years.  He wrote his down, and doesn't remember exactly what he said.  A wedding can be an absolute blur, and the details kind of get lost.  

I was stunned by the ending.  Well played.

Can't wait to see how this all plays out in the final season!

• Love 10
(edited)

Well, that came out of nowhere.

I so agree that Tess should have been told to suck it up and wear the damn dress for a couple hours.  Not everything is about her.

I cringed at Kevin's Princess Bride impression.  As funny as that speech is, it didn't work out too well for the couple in that movie.  Better to leave it alone.

Hoping Kevin and Madison take time to fall in love for real and end up together.  It was nice to see they seemed to be friendly in the future.  (Oh, lord, I hope Nicky doesn't marry Madison. 🤣)

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Huh. Well I didn’t see that coming.

I absolutely loathed the British guy on Modern Family. Having him be on the next season is going to grate.

“They’re just standing there. Like Children of the Corn or something.”

Tess’s brattiness really shouldn’t have been indulged to that degree. Altering a bridesmaid’s dress ten minutes before the ceremony, seriously?

Kevin and Madison...meh. I liked that they're clearly friendly in the flashforward, regardless of whether they are a couple.

Totally agree about Tess.  It wasn't her show; she could have worn the original dress for this one time event.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, debraran said:

Kate's wedding dress was pretty but I thought she'd have less of a wedding being her second. I hope it's toward the end and maybe she can have the kids in it too. Fogleman is trying to add mystery to if Kevin gets married but we all see the ring in the future cabin episode. To have him marry or try to marry Madison again is lame though. It's only one year to go.

Writer Issac on the show said re Sophie and Kevin ""If he didn't feel anything for Sophie and if there was no — threat is the wrong word, but if there was no pull there from talking to her, then he wouldn't really feel the need to delete her number ..." Isaac explained to the outlet. "If you fully trust yourself and you don't have an addictive personality and you're not a little worried about what having access to that person means, then there was no need to delete the number. So I think that's another instance of Kevin trying really hard to do the right thing, but not fully trusting himself."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeople.com%2Ftv%2Fthis-is-us-season-5-finale-dan-fogelman-explains-wedding-twist-kate-future-season-6%2F&psig=AOvVaw2-ZaFVi2yK474LIl11KonL&ust=1622107190616000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCLDRwauC5_ACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

You thought Kate wouldn't take the opportunity to indulge in something that's ALLLLLLL about her? She can make someone else's bad day all about her. We should assume that she'll take another wedding as an opportunity to do the same. Can't stand Kate. However, Toby largely annoys me too, so I'm glad they're together. Hate that they're gonna split up as I think their ability to not think, act irrationally and whine incessantly makes them a great pair.

8 hours ago, Jeddah said:

It’s Kevin’s wedding day, so the perfect time for Rebecca to tell Randall how he is her favorite person in the world! Kevin’s wedding is the perfect time to remind Randall that you love him more than your other kids.

I’ve always hated Toby, but I also really hate Kate. I felt like they deserved each other because they are both so entitled and awful.

Finally we know something about Annie! She can bowl!

Thank. You! What an absolute twat waffle move by Rebecca. I know she can pipe up in two weeks and say she "forgot" all about saying that, but she legit stood there and told Randall he was her favorite. I mean, it had always been pretty obvious, but as someone with multiple children, I can't fathom telling one of them I love them more than the other. Hell, there might be days where I think it, but you don't say that shit out loud. 

Finally, Tess. Jesus H. Christ, I can't stand this kid. Listen, nobody cares if you wanna date a he/she/they/or whatever we're calling people now. But it's a wedding that you're invited to be a part of. Shut your pie hole, wear the damn dress that the bride picked out for you and shut the hell up about it. You're not going to lose your gender identity over the course of the next couple hours due to being polite. My wife was in a wedding a couple years ago where the bride (inexplicably) wanted all of the bridesmaids to have a different colored fake bird in their hair. Do you realize how stupid a bunch of grown women look walking around with blue, purple, yellow, pink and other colored birds jammed into their up-dos? But they all embraced the absolute stupidity of the day, wore the damn birds and smiled. Why? Because it's about the bride on that day. 

Shame on Beth for indulging this nonsense. She's so worried that her teenage smartass kid has been a teenage smartass kid that she rolled over like a well-trained dog for her. Teenagers are mouthy, disrespectful know-it-alls and need to be treated as such. Shoulda told her that her they-bey won't dump her for wearing a normal bridesmaids dress for a couple hours so shut up and act honored to be a part of it. Christ, I can't stand that kid.

Thrilled that Kevin didn't marry Madison. Said it before and I'll say it again. My wife and I are still hoping he lands with Sophie. We got divorced and remarried and are hoping to see it happen for them as well. I like Madison, but I'm glad she bailed on the wedding.

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
5 hours ago, buckboard said:

Not sure why Malik would want to go to Harvard instead of staying in Philadelphia where he has his parents and Deja as support for him with his daughter.  Could the reason be that the child's birth mother, who has said she wants to be more involved in her child's life, lives  in Boston?

Shout out for referring to the child's birth mother instead of baby mama, a phrase I cannot stand, likewise baby daddy.  I suppose Harvard is the place with the most cachet in the American cultural milieu.  It's a little over the top that he's accepted everywhere, but I kind of love it.  Go Malik!  I don't care at all if he and Deja are together in the future, she's in medical school/residency, and he has hopefully graduated and has his little girl by his side.  Stories I can get behind.  I am so over Kevin's bouncing from one woman to the next, saccharine flashbacks of Jack and the little kids, rinse, repeat. We know a little too much about the future now for me to care very much about Kate and Toby's trials and tribulations.  An injection of what the younger generation gets up to would be refreshing for me. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I liked the Madison stuff. She deserves someone who loves her, so I'm glad she called off the wedding. I would love it if they slowly get to know each other while co-parenting and fall in love, but I just know they will go down the Sophie road for a third time so Kevin can "earn" that ring.

I loved Chris Geere in You're the Worst. Not sure about his character here and really not sure about him marrying Kate. I mean ... what? I could see her with the neighbor before this guy. Now that I said that the neighbor would actually make sense. Long distance marriage, Kate leans more and more on her neighbor buddy who already has a relationship with little Jack. I can totally see her marriage to Toby falling apart, but I just can't see a relationship developing with her boss.

Tess is a brat. 

I hope Nicky being married means he found Sally. Or maybe not. These people are too hung up on the past.

Edited by Evie
  • Love 9

I know my family can be a bit much, but JFC the Pearsons are insufferable. It's Kevin's wedding day but everyone feels that this is the time to have heart to heart talks? Do that on your own time, people! When Kevin said he needed some air, all I could think was that he was a lot nicer than I would have been in that situation. There would have been a venue clearing STFU from me.

I don't care how thoughtful Nicky thought his present was. You don't bring a gift that big to the venue. You have it delivered to their house so that they don't have to deal with transporting it after the wedding. That's just common courtesy.

I know I'm supposed to feel bad for Kevin because he got left at the altar, but all I could think was thank god someone in this relationship had the good sense not to let this wedding happen. Madison was right - she shouldn't marry someone who isn't in love with her. She shouldn't marry someone who says that his feelings for her will grow. As I've been saying since they got engaged, you can coparent and have a good relationship AND NOT GET MARRIED.

I was rolling my eyes at Kate, Kevin, and Randall freaking out that Rebecca and Jack had an argument about a VCR tape. First of all, kids need to learn that it is normal and natural and not the end of the world when your parents disagree. You should not set them up to believe that people who love each other never argue. What kind of unattainable standard are you setting for your children's future relationships when they think you don't love each other anymore because you're having an argument? Secondly, kids need to learn that they don't get to dictate their parents' relationship. No, you don't get to tell your parents that they need to get married again just because they had a very minor disagreement in front of you. This reminded me of Theo on A Million Little Things ordering his parents to hug. It's not your place to tell you parents how their relationship should be.

8 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

I absolutely loathed the British guy on Modern Family. Having him be on the next season is going to grate.

I loved him on You're the Worst!

8 hours ago, greekmom said:

It's nice how Malek got into all these Ivy League schools but how the hell is he going to pay for Harvard. I know there are scholarships but still... it's not like it will be a full ride.

Harvard is a private school with a huge endowment. They can waive tuition and any other fees for any student for any reason at any time if they want to.

8 hours ago, katycat74 said:

I got a kick out of Kate and her excitement about Dynasty's Moldavian Massacre.  I'm old enough to remember watching that in real time.  It WAS a huge event!! 

Something similar happened to my sister. She had a VHS tape of her last dance concert. Years later, her roommate wanted to tape something and stuck a random tape in the VCR and recorded over it. They had a very similar conversation: "Did you see DO NOT RECORD written in big red letters?" But in her case, it was irreplaceable so she was furious.

8 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I get Tess wanting to be seen as herself, but it is a bridesmaid dress. They are notoriously hated and people wear them to please the bride. It's a few hours. And it wasn't like her problem was wearing a dress or looking feminine, so it just seemed bratty. Also, Beth should have gotten the okay from Madison, not Kevin.

ITA - when I was in my aunt's wedding, I had to wear this godawful cotton candy pink dress that I hated, but I didn't say anything because it wasn't my choice and it wasn't my wedding. There are going to be times in life when you have to do things that you aren't enthusiastic about. You have to learn how to suck it up and tolerate it for the short amount of time that you're required to do it. 

Tess is extra lucky that not only did her mom support this but that she had the skills to alter her dress in like ten minutes. And really, the quick glance I got at it looked like all Beth did was put the applique flowers from the bodice on a black t-shirt and then cut the front of the skirt to make it a mullet/high-low skirt.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I couldn’t get it out of my head that Madison’s mom had a British accent.  There HAD to be a reason for that.  

Other than that, I was so upset at the ending I had a hard time falling to sleep last night.  I loved the Kate and Toby scene about their love, I was like THIS!  This is how you guys need to be all the time and I thought they had finally got on the same page and it was lovely.  I’m not a stan of either one, although I do enjoy Toby and am always rooting for KaToby. 

The Rebecca scene at the end with the Big 3, Miguel’s zombie hugs, and Uncle Nicky’s married in the future!   ❤️

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Finally, Tess. Jesus H. Christ, I can't stand this kid. Listen, nobody cares if you wanna date a he/she/they/or whatever we're calling people now. But it's a wedding that you're invited to be a part of. Shut your pie hole, wear the damn dress that the bride picked out for you and shut the hell up about it. You're not going to lose your gender identity over the course of the next couple hours due to being polite. My wife was in a wedding a couple years ago where the bride (inexplicably) wanted all of the bridesmaids to have a different colored fake bird in their hair. Do you realize how stupid a bunch of grown women look walking around with blue, purple, yellow, pink and other colored birds jammed into their up-dos? But they all embraced the absolute stupidity of the day, wore the damn birds and smiled. Why? Because it's about the bride on that day. 

Oh man now I need to see pictures of the bridesmaids with the birds in their hair!

• LOL 14
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, debraran said:

I think that says more about the writer than it does about the show. Some people delete exes from their phones because they know there's no point since they aren't together anymore. If you haven't talked to this person in 6 months or a year, why keep their number?

59 minutes ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

Rebecca was rightfully pissed that Jack taped over her show.  But Jack not remembering his wedding vows?  My husband and I have been married almost 6 years.  He wrote his down, and doesn't remember exactly what he said.  A wedding can be an absolute blur, and the details kind of get lost.  

Before Mr. EB and I got married, he asked his mom what song she and his (by then deceased) dad used for their first dance at their wedding. She couldn't remember. He then started asking other family members (aunts and uncles who had attended the wedding) and none of them remembered either. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't recall any of the food we picked out for our own wedding. I remember specific things about other people's food (my godfather is deathly allergic to shellfish so I asked the caterers to make his meal first to make sure that it didn't accidentally touch any of the shrimp that we had on the menu, one of my best friends is deathly allergic to strawberries so I had one layer of the wedding cake with raspberries instead of strawberries - clearly my only real goal on my wedding day was to make sure that no one died or had to resort to using their epipen). Just because you don't remember every detail of your wedding doesn't mean you don't love your spouse. I don't think it's a huge deal (but this is coming from someone who can't remember where I left my car keys so I am pretty forgiving of other people's forgetfulness).

• Love 17

Oh, about Tess and the dress.  If this was SO important to her identity, she should have old her Uncle beforehand.  Does the rest of the Pearson clan even know about her most recent ID?  I know she came out to Kevin (right?), but has she since then updated them?  Because people are not mind readers and it is her story to tell.  And if she didn’t feel comfortable bringing it up, she could have asked for her mom to help her approach the subject with them BEFORE the wedding.  Not the day of.  I have a hard time thinking if she had been open about it, Kevin and Madison would have worked out something that went with the other dresses and made her happy.  It was a lot of unnecessary drama and made her look like a brat.

• Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, Artsda said:

Nicky's married. Kevin's also married? He's sharing a room with a woman for sure. I do actually hope it's Madison. She did say she told Kevin something a bunch of times in the morning.

I don't want to see back the whole Sophie plot take 4.

I SO hope Kevin ends up with Madison and not Sophie.  With only one season left, it wouldn't seem like enough time to bring in someone new so it has to be one of these two right? But Sophie, ugg.  Give it up, they are not good together. 

Edited by AzraeltheCat
  • Love 17

Rebecca needs to realize that Jack has been gone for a long time and that Miquel is her husband now and has been for quite a while.  He should be the one here for situations like this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
7 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Oh, about Tess and the dress.  If this was SO important to her identity, she should have old her Uncle beforehand.  Does the rest of the Pearson clan even know about her most recent ID?  I know she came out to Kevin (right?), but has she since then updated them?  Because people are not mind readers and it is her story to tell.  And if she didn’t feel comfortable bringing it up, she could have asked for her mom to help her approach the subject with them BEFORE the wedding.  Not the day of.  I have a hard time thinking if she had been open about it, Kevin and Madison would have worked out something that went with the other dresses and made her happy.  It was a lot of unnecessary drama and made her look like a brat.

Of all the weddings I've been in and attended, I have never seen the wedding planner just hand over dresses to the bridesmaids the day of the wedding without any prior fittings (meaning the bridesmaids had never seen them until then). At one wedding, the bride bought all of the bridesmaid dresses for the girls who lived out of town (including me) and then sent them to us MONTHS in advance so that we could have them hemmed/fitted/otherwise altered if necessary.

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

I couldn’t get it out of my head that Madison’s mom had a British accent.  There HAD to be a reason for that.  

Other than that, I was so upset at the ending I had a hard time falling to sleep last night.  I loved the Kate and Toby scene about their love, I was like THIS!  This is how you guys need to be all the time and I thought they had finally got on the same page and it was lovely.  I’m not a stan of either one, although I do enjoy Toby and am always rooting for KaToby. 

The Rebecca scene at the end with the Big 3, Miguel’s zombie hugs, and Uncle Nicky’s married in the future!   ❤️

I think what bothers me about the ending other than the WTF of her marrying the boss is that we know Toby is not in a good place in 2030. Within five years Kate is happily marrying someone else but Toby is miserable years later. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, cameron said:

Rebecca needs to realize that Jack has been gone for a long time and that Miquel is her husband now and has been for quite a while.  He should be the one here for situations like this.

As someone with a dead dad, I completely understood what Rebecca was saying there.  Jack is the Big Three's father and it is perfectly natural to wonder what he would have done on those big occasions.  It happens in my family.  Miguel is a great man, but he is not dad.

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
9 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, that ending was shocking. I thought that Kate and Toby might get divorced. I just never considered her remarrying, especially not to her boss who rejected her resignation because he didn't like it. Seriously, I hate douchebags like that. Saying that you reject her resignation won't stop her from leaving if she wanted to!

Madison backing out is no surprise. It makes sense, since Kevin was trying to make it work for reasons that wouldn't have caused their marriage to last.

We had some nice family moments, so there's that. We had Tess apologize for her bratty behaviour, which is good. And we have Malik going off to Harvard. 

Douchebags like that perfectly describe Randall and Toby, so I'm not surprised she married one of those. 

Tess only apologized because she got her way. I have been in a couple of dozen weddings, and the dress always sucks! I don't know why brides hate their loved ones so much. Even worse when they expected me to pay for the things. Point is, it's not about us, and Tess should have sucked it up and dealt with it like the rest of us do. Beth was WAY out of line, using that moment to earn kiss up points with her nasty teenager.

Rebecca saying to Kevin in the end that she would marry him was gross. This family is so beyond creepy in its co-dependency.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Evie said:

I think what bothers me about the ending other than the WTF of her marrying the boss is that we know Toby is not in a good place in 2030. Within five years Kate is happily marrying someone else but Toby is miserable years later. 

Toby is sitting in a hotel room on the other side of the country preparing to visit his ex-mother-in-law one last time.  It's hard to say if he is always miserable in 2030 or if it just the current awkward situation. 

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

It's a little over the top that he's accepted everywhere, but I kind of love it.  Go Malik! 

I got into all 9 schools to which I applied, and my background is far less arduous than Malik's (both my parents have graduate degrees and were white-collar professionals and I went to a school with a 99% matriculation rate in which there was a statistically insignificant number of teen parents. I can think of one, a few years ahead of me, and she didn't stay). I can absolutely buy Malik getting in everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

I have been in a couple of dozen weddings, and the dress always sucks! I don't know why brides hate their loved ones so much. Even worse when they expected me to pay for the things.

I used to work for a multi-national company. My team was mostly women in our 20s and 30s, split across the pond (US/UK). There were a lot of weddings and babies. One American woman was getting married and she was talking about her bridesmaids, and one of our UK colleagues was like "Wait, you make your bridesmaids pay for dresses? Why would anyone do it then?" (It's customary in the UK for the bride to pay for her attendants' attire.) The American colleague got a little defensive, saying "it's just tradition!" I was smirking to myself because I've always thought brides should pay for their bridesmaids' attire, unless they're letting them wear what they like (like my friend was in a wedding where she was asked to wear a black cocktail-length dress, so she just wore one she already owned). I know that's not how we do it here, but shelling out hundreds for a dress you didn't pick out and will only wear once does suck.

I've cut Tess slack in the past but I'm Team She Should Have Sucked It Up. (And also Team Watch One Day at a Time.) Bridesmaid dresses are often not chosen with the wearer in mind, and that is sometimes sucky but it is what it is.

4 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I’m also calling Kate out for getting mad at “I love my children, but.”  Every parent has felt that.  

Yeah, my best friend has told me that she's locked herself in the bathroom to get away from her children AND her husband for a few minutes because everybody has been home all the time for the last 15 months and they were all driving her nuts. Doesn't mean she doesn't love them, just that they were getting on her nerves. Anyone will get on your nerves eventually if you're around them long enough. And Toby likes his work! That's a good thing! It doesn't mean he doesn't also love his kids.

I was surprised when Kate said they both couldn't have full-time jobs, but I guess you live what you know. My parents both had full-time jobs, but Kate's didn't.

Miguel is such a cute goofy grandpa. "Must ... hug ... grandchildren!" And Annie's "OK, dude" face was adorable (she's a really cute kid).

I'm glad Madison called it off - she deserves better. (Her dad telling her to settle was really shitty.) I honestly don't care who Kevin ends up with, if anyone. The show has kind of set it up as a mystery and I'm just not that interested. Maybe he'll stay single and, as he said, the loves of his life will be his kids.

That daggers look Rebecca shot Jack as she led the kids out of the room after  she realized he'd taped over Dynasty was GOLD. 

• Love 13
5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I'm almost always Team Beth, but Bratty Tess is really taking the cake lately.  Beth should have told her this is a teachable moment where you learn the wedding day is the bride's day and to suck it up buttercup with the dress.  Tess is now manipulating Beth to get what she wants because she can accuse her mother of not getting her gayness which leave Beth feeling like a failure.

Yep, Beth is scared of Tess. She indulges her because she's afraid to offend her. Whether a child (and Tess is supposed to be 12!) is straight, gay, a they, etc they need boundaries and discipline. Beth's more concerned with Tess seeing her as woke, not with parenting her, and Tess knows it too.

• Love 18