Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, GaT said:

I never saw the movie, so I can't judge her acting, but I hate Shallow.

I thought Shallow was ok, but not great. It pales in comparison to Always Remember Us This Way (my favorite) and I'll Never Love Again.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I  guess my UO is that I like Madonna.  Sometimes I'm not exactly crazy about some of her comments or some of her life choices but talent wise I like her.  Actually quite a lot 🙂.

I like Madonna’s music. 
Her acting and other things… not so much.

But her music is great.

• Love 5

And I I think Shallow is fine but I definitely didn't think it was the best song in the movie. I didn't think Lady Gaga was that great of an actress either.

I can't picture Debra Winger was Dottie and Been a Davis was great in the role. Also. I like  Madonna in the movie.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I thought Shallow was ok, but not great. It pales in comparison to Always Remember Us This Way (my favorite) and I'll Never Love Again.

I agree. I’m okay with the movie and song, but this is my issue….if you’re far from the shallows, why keep singing about the shallows…the shallows….the shallows…the shallows…….   I would think that if you’re far from the shallows, the song would be about the DEPTHS.  The depths…..idk.  Odd choice of lyrics, imo.🥴

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, GaT said:

And speaking of Ben Affleck, is it just me, the photos, or does he really look like a completely different person now?

8ebfed7130bf49179086e7a7b5dfd1df_md.jpg

Current Ben is starting to look like Robin Williams.

• Love 15

Time has not been terribly kind to Affleck (I am sure his alcoholism has been part of that), but I think he actually looks a bit healthier recently than he has in the past.

He looks less Robin Williamsy in the photo of them going out to eat with J. Lo.'s daughter (who basically looks like a clone of her own dad), but he does look super pissed. I assume about the photographers. But maybe the meal didn't go well, and they just didn't help matters. 🤷‍♀️

https://jezebel.com/j-los-daughter-emme-takes-her-future-stepdad-out-to-din-1847475947

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I love all three! I was obsessed A Star is Born. I don't know if I've seen a movie I loved as much since. It just had a bit of everything-a love story, a young woman pursuing her dream, great acting (imho), bomb soundtrack, and eye candy. Bradley Cooper is so damn cute. 

• Love 3

but he does look super pissed. I assume about the photographers.

I don't watch TMZ. With all the recent Britney discussion, it's been a reminder that if there's a close-range photo, there's a good chance the paparazzi are yelling something vile while it's being taken. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Zella said:

Time has not been terribly kind to Affleck (I am sure his alcoholism has been part of that), but I think he actually looks a bit healthier recently than he has in the past.

He looks less Robin Williamsy in the photo of them going out to eat with J. Lo.'s daughter (who basically looks like a clone of her own dad), but he does look super pissed. I assume about the photographers. But maybe the meal didn't go well, and they just didn't help matters. 🤷‍♀️

https://jezebel.com/j-los-daughter-emme-takes-her-future-stepdad-out-to-din-1847475947

I just wonder that with covid, media hounds, security measures, etc, why not just dine at home?  Surely, Jennifer has a good chef there. Plus, there’s delivery.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

I agree. She was fine in "Desperately Seeking Susan" because she was pretty much playing herself. "A League of Their Own" was an ensemble cast, and "Evita" was just one long music video.

To be fair, "Evita" is one long music video on stage too since it's a rock "opera." I don't like Andrew Lloyd Webber on the whole, but "Evita" I love. I wish they'd remake the movie with a good singer (at least Madonna had the right look for the part) 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

To be fair, "Evita" is one long music video on stage too since it's a rock "opera." I don't like Andrew Lloyd Webber on the whole, but "Evita" I love. I wish they'd remake the movie with a good singer (at least Madonna had the right look for the part) 

Two great voices. Che has some complicated material .

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just wonder that with covid, media hounds, security measures, etc, why not just dine at home?  Surely, Jennifer has a good chef there. Plus, there’s delivery.  

Yes but then there would be no paparazzi taking pics of them.

15 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I like Madonna’s music. 
Her acting and other things… not so much.

But her music is great.

Yep I feel the same way.  I do like a couple of her movies.  Desperately Seeking Susan and League of Their own. Speaking of which....

15 hours ago, shoregirl said:

I can't picture Debra Winger was Dottie and Been a Davis was great in the role.

I can picture her as Dottie. But I think she would have been a little rougher around the edges.  I think her characters in Terms of Endearment and Officer and a Gentleman were similar to Dottie.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I  guess my UO is that I like Madonna.  Sometimes I'm not exactly crazy about some of her comments or some of her life choices but talent wise I like her.  Actually quite a lot 🙂.

So do I.  No matter what people say, there is no one else like Madonna.  I like that.

Oh, and count me as another "Shallow" hater.  I like Lady Gaga and I like her music, but that song is boring.

Edited by Everina
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, GaT said:

And speaking of Ben Affleck, is it just me, the photos, or does he really look like a completely different person now?

In general?  No. I think he looks like an older, bearded version of his younger self.  In that photo where it looks like he's squinting?  Kind of. But that photograph is of an expression  that I rarely see Ben make.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

but this is my issue….if you’re far from the shallows, why keep singing about the shallows…the shallows….the shallows…the shallows…….   I would think that if you’re far from the shallows, the song would be about the DEPTHS.  The depths…..idk.  Odd choice of lyrics, imo.🥴

Agreed 100%.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Zella said:

IMUO, I know they likely entitled it for clickbait but IMUO, I think they REALLY jumped the gun re saying that young Emme Muñiz  was taking 'her future stepdad' Mr. Affeck out to dinner. As far as the public knows, there have been no proposals.etc.  so whether he and  her mother Miss Lopez decide to get married in the future, stay non-marital companions. .. or break up tomorrow is anyone's guess (including that website's)  .Hence, I think it would have been more accurate to have just said 'Miss Emme  Muñiz/ J Lo's Daughter Emme Takes Mr. Affleck( a Current Friend of the Family)  Out to Dinner'.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Blergh said:

IMUO, I know they likely entitled it for clickbait but IMUO, I think they REALLY jumped the gun re saying that young Emme Muñiz  was taking 'her future stepdad' Mr. Affeck out to dinner. As far as the public knows, there have been no proposals.etc.  so whether he and  her mother Miss Lopez decide to get married in the future, stay non-marital companions. .. or break up tomorrow is anyone's guess (including that website's)  .Hence, I think it would have been more accurate to have just said 'Miss Emme  Muñiz/ J Lo's Daughter Emme Takes Mr. Afflect( a Current Friend of the Family)  Out to Dinner'.

I think it was partially clickbait but also pretty heavy sarcasm. Jezebel likes to think its funny but, like the current incarnation of the AV Club, has mixed results on actually achieving that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Yes but then there would be no paparazzi taking pics of them.

Yep I feel the same way.  I do like a couple of her movies.  Desperately Seeking Susan and League of Their own. Speaking of which....

I can picture her as Dottie. But I think she would have been a little rougher around the edges.  I think her characters in Terms of Endearment and Officer and a Gentleman were similar to Dottie.

I definitely believe that Miss Winger's Dottie would have just let her kid sister Kit stew in her own  and whine until the cows came home instead of dropping the ball (literally and figuratively). 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I definitely believe that Miss Winger's Dottie would have just let her kid sister Kit stew in her own  and whine until the cows came home instead of dropping the ball (literally and figuratively). 

Wouldn't the script be the same.  And: Trigger alert:

Spoiler

She didn't drop the ball on purpose.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I know she's not the strongest vocalist, but she really has made SO much good music. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I know she's not the strongest vocalist, but she really has made SO much good music. 

And pushed a lot of buttons in her day. Like a Virgin Wedding dress at the MTV VMAs from 1984, the Pepsi commercial promoting Like A Prayer video, and so much more. And to think that those incidents caused controversy in the 80s and 90s. Now they would be tamed by today's standards.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Her son says she has dementia and got the court to appoint him as conservator, her friend and her manager say he's taking advantage of her and she can still make her own decisions.

From the article it sounds like the manager is the one taking advantage.

It didn't seem like anyone was saying that she didn't have dementia. It was just how bad it was and what level of care and supervision she needed. It was also three years ago.

• Love 1

No, it's still ongoing. That's why a flurry of articles were published yesterday and today.

Nichols’ legal battle became headline news again over the summer when her sister, Marian Smothers, started a GoFundMe to raise money for Nichols’ legal fees. The various suits and countersuits filed by Bell and Johnson have been tied up in the legal system for over two years. There are multiple lawsuits involved in the legal battle in California.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Nichelle Nichols is not fighting anything or contesting anything. The only ongoing thing is her former manager fighting her son for the control of her money. 

All the articles is old articles. Most of them don't even have the updated information from last year in it. 

I wish that just because Britney is now saying it's bad that they would stop dragging out every single case and reporting it like the person under conservatorship is fighting or needs to get out. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, letter8358 said:

This sounds so freaking sad. Poor Nichelle!

Indeed. It’s really sad how the vultures start to swirl once someone is in dire health. And this doesn’t just happen with celebrities but everyday folks too. Everyone wants to get their foot in the door to get a piece of whatever monies might be available big or small when said person is incapacitated or nearing death. 

Anyway, from the article posted it sounds like the son may be doing the right thing and has the support of the family. It’s the outsiders who seem to be causing trouble. I don’t understand why her manager thinks he should have conservatorship over her when she has capable family to do that and why her friend is demanding the courts allow her to visit with Nichele. There could be a number of reasons why the son doesn’t want the friend to visit. Going to court demanding she’s allowed to visit seems extreme. 

Edited by Enero
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I guess it's a little shady to say that the Cooper/Gaga ASIB was similar to the 1976 version but I think the full quote makes a fair point that having non-white actors and a different style of music would have been more interesting. I'll get around to watching it someday but for a movie that has too many remakes, I think it's fair to question how much it altered the story for a modern audience. 

Also, this video is great and you should watch it. The last few moments made me wonder if Alexa Ray Joel is still trying to make a singing career happen.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

Also, this video is great and you should watch it. The last few moments made me wonder if Alexa Ray Joel is still trying to make a singing career happen.

I haven't lived in NYS since 1976, but I'm *always* in a New York State of mind 🥰

• Love 9
4 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I guess it's a little shady to say that the Cooper/Gaga ASIB was similar to the 1976 version but I think the full quote makes a fair point that having non-white actors and a different style of music would have been more interesting. I'll get around to watching it someday but for a movie that has too many remakes, I think it's fair to question how much it altered the story for a modern audience. 

All 4 versions of ASIB are basically the same story. Streisand 's was the 3rd and just like the 1st and 2nd.

• Love 6

Nichelle Nichols is not fighting anything or contesting anything.

Are you sure? Because it's entirely possible her son is keeping her from speaking to the media or getting her own lawyer. I knew I remembered something about her objecting to it,  and yeah, there is.

I once heard in relation to Alexa Ray Joel the comment that she has her father's looks and her mothers talent. Harsh but true.

6 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Are you sure? Because it's entirely possible her son is keeping her from speaking to the media or getting her own lawyer. I knew I remembered something about her objecting to it,  and yeah, there is.

Admittedly, I can't know her degree of dementia and can only go from personal experience.  My Mom has dementia and she was the best at making it look like she was fine to outsiders, but our family knew better. She was far gone before anyone, other than her doctor, believed us.

FWIW, in those mid to late days, my mother was beyond paranoid and thought everyone was trying to hurt her.  Sadly, someone with dementia screaming for help isn't an abnormal thing.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Wonder when this guy's romantic exploits will stop being a thing.  

Have I been living under a rock?  I don't know who either of these people are.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I guess I'm in the minority but I like Pete on SNL.

Also he's a single guy in his 20s. If he wants to date around, enjoy! I know the rumors, but aside from that maybe he treats women decently. There's a lot of reasons someone might date him that we wouldn't know about. As long as everyone is consenting, mazel tov!

I get the irritation with the tabloid type stories reporting on it, but that's how they roll. Not really Pete's doing.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Wonder when this guy's romantic exploits will stop being a thing.  

When he stops dating other up and coming starlets.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Have I been living under a rock?  I don't know who either of these people are.

I wouldn't go that far but Pete Davidson is on SNL and has been in a few movies. Phoebe starred in Bridgerton. So it's not like they're influencers or reality stars.  They do things on shows people like.

• Love 3