Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I wouldn't go that far but Pete Davidson is on SNL and has been in a few movies. Phoebe starred in Bridgerton. So it's not like they're influencers or reality stars.  They do things on shows people like.

I don't watch SNL or Bridgerton so I have no clue who they are. I do keep thinking of Peter Davidson of Doctor Who fame though, which leaves me quite tickled as I just don't see old Peter as a "serial dating starlets" type. Though I could be totally wrong about him. lol

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't watch SNL or Bridgerton so I have no clue who they are. I do keep thinking of Peter Davidson of Doctor Who fame though, which leaves me quite tickled as I just don't see old Peter as a "serial dating starlets" type. Though I could be totally wrong about him. lol

Everyone is more attractive with a piece of celery.

Peter+Davison+5th+doctor.jpg

• LOL 15
  • Love 5

I am really old, well my soul is at least, because I hear Cosmo and my first thought is Cosmo Topper! (from the 1937 movie/1950s sitcom (I knew the sitcom before the movie actually). Also, since I've seen about half an episode of Seinfeld I had only a passing knowledge that it's Kramer's first name. 

I'm going to go be old now. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I am really old, well my soul is at least, because I hear Cosmo and my first thought is Cosmo Topper! (from the 1937 movie/1950s sitcom (I knew the sitcom before the movie actually). Also, since I've seen about half an episode of Seinfeld I had only a passing knowledge that it's Kramer's first name. 

I'm going to go be old now. 

Rather than either Seinfeld's whacked neighbor or the 1950's ghosts' living straight man, my mind went to George Jetson's pint-sized terror tyrant Cosmo Spacely  a man who was completely fearless- except of his huge wife Petunia!  So, one can't deny that few folks won't forget the baby's rather unusual name! 

• Love 8
On 8/18/2021 at 1:06 AM, Mabinogia said:

For the record, the Doctor Who actor is Peter Davison, not Davidson 😉

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I read the piece, but don’t understand why the backlash.  Does it explain what he’s talking about?

I think from reading this, that it was that he didn't just let her propose, he had to propose also because he's the man, and he asked for her hand in marriage.  I personally think people need to get lives and not worry about whether other people's proposals offend them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
47 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think from reading this, that it was that he didn't just let her propose, he had to propose also because he's the man, and he asked for her hand in marriage.  I personally think people need to get lives and not worry about whether other people's proposals offend them.

I was sort of surprised that he said he wanted to ask her bio dad and step dad for her hand in marriage, so he could also propose to her.  He called it traditional, but as an independent woman….that tradition just seems laughable to me and has since the 80’s.  😆 I think Joshua and his wife are at least in their 40’s right?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I read the piece, but don’t understand why the backlash.  Does it explain what he’s talking about?

A month ago he revealed she proposed to him resulting racist, misogynist assholes doing what they do and leaving awful comments on her Instagram. No good reason was needed. 

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think from reading this, that it was that he didn't just let her propose, he had to propose also because he's the man, and he asked for her hand in marriage. 

No. Him giving those details happened after the backlash*. The hateful messages were just in response to her proposing.

*Backlash is really the wrong way to describe it because that implies the negative reaction was warranted to some degree. 

Edited by Guest
29 minutes ago, Dani said:

A month ago he revealed she proposed to him resulting racist, misogynist assholes doing what they do and leaving awful comments on her Instagram. No good reason was needed. 

No. Him giving those details happened after she was the backlash*. The hateful message were just in response to her proposing.

*Backlash is really the wrong way to describe it because that implies the negative reaction was warranted to some degree. 

I thought the vitriol she got was along the lines of "How dare you, black woman, propose to that fine white man and take him off the market? Don't you know your place?"

Which, Joshua's right. They can fuck right off. 

• Love 16
4 hours ago, letter8358 said:

Debra Winger turned down weight loss pills for An Officer and A Gentleman after being told that she was puffy looking

What?!? She always looked fit! Who the Hell thought she was puffy looking? I can't imagine the shit she went through.

This shit has been going on for way too long. Actresses from Judy Garland to Olivia Hussey to... dammit all, there's too fucking many. What is with this worldwide obsession with starving women and girls and keeping them looking like fireplace pokers?! Leave us the hell alone, you freaks!

Re: Joshua Jackson and Jodie Turner-Smith

God above, people are pissed because a woman proposed to a guy?! Leave them the hell alone, you freaks!

Hmmm, weird, there seems to be a theme here...

• Love 19
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was sort of surprised that he said he wanted to ask her bio dad and step dad for her hand in marriage, so he could also propose to her.  He called it traditional, but as an independent woman….that tradition just seems laughable to me and has since the 80’s.  😆 I think Joshua and his wife are at least in their 40’s right?  

I think it's sweet.  I like the old traditions.  But, basically it's their business and nobody else's. No reason for people completely not involved to call him a racist and mysoginist.

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I thought the vitriol she got was along the lines of "How dare you, black woman, propose to that fine white man and take him off the market? Don't you know your place?"

Which, Joshua's right. They can fuck right off. 

OK. I guess I misunderstood.  But, then where does the misogyny accusation come from?

• Love 2

I think it is a general statement based on how he compares their respective social media.  She gets a lot more vitriol than him.  And it has been well documented that women do get more online abuse than men and a lot of it is about looks and body shaming.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I read this story and people are so fucking jonesing to shit on someone.

I feel like this has become the sole purpose for *most people to have social media accounts anymore.  Wake up, pick up the phone and go look for ways to stir up shit.  It's become way too easy to be an asshole. 

*I originally typed some but nope, it's probably most. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, letter8358 said:

Covid delaying concerts and movies again

I don't know when we are going to see a concert or movie again. The future is just so uncertain at this point. What do you think?

My friend recently decided to bow out of attending Dead & Company in Raleigh this past Monday.  First show on the tour. Even with many vaccine and mask precautions, she felt it was too risky. They had seats and though fully vaxxed, one in their group was a heart patient.  They  had paid over $250.00 each for seats.  And the BAND refunded their money!  Class act by Dead & Company, imo.  I have another friend who did attend and kept her mask on.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-live-reviews/dead-and-company-tour-launch-review-1213033/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

While I personally hate the "Ask your fathers hand in marriage" tradition because I don't belong to my father and am my own person and honestly, if  a guy said that to me I'd dump his ass. (mainly because it would show he doesn't know me at all). That being said, if that is what Jodie and Joshua wanted, then good on them. I think it's way sweeter if he'd just accepted her proposal without having to counter out of some sense of outdated male tradition but eh, it doesn't bother me any. 

What does bother me is people attacking what seems to be a perfectly lovely woman because she has the nerve to 1) be a woman who knows who she wants to marry and is willing to make the first move and 2) (sin of all sins) being black. Not just black, but a black woman stealing away a white guy! The nerve!!! 

This. Well said, and louder for the people in the back, please.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

OK. I guess I misunderstood.  But, then where does the misogyny accusation come from?

As someone else mentioned there is a clear difference in how she was treated vs how he was treated. Beyond that, with most of these instances what is posted for everyone to see usually pales in comparison to what is said through private messages. A few celebs have posted some of the hate they get and it is filled with racist and misogynistic slurs. I imagine that she got a lot of that type of thing. 

4 hours ago, Katy M said:
said:

I was sort of surprised that he said he wanted to ask her bio dad and step dad for her hand in marriage, so he could also propose to her.  He called it traditional, but as an independent woman….that tradition just seems laughable to me and has since the 80’s.

Expand  

My now husband talked to my mom before he proposed (my dad had passed away two years earlier).   He didn’t ask permission, but just wanted to let her and his parents know he was planning to propose.  That didn’t bother me.

Jodie and Joshua deserve better from the public than they are getting.

• Love 15
13 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I hope the cell phone story is the correct one. I hate to think an animal's care could be at stake.

I’ve also read the altercation was about the employee taking the the dog to the vet and her concern for its welfare, and it erupted when Britney voiced her disapproval. Employee tried to call the police when the phone was knocked away.  think this it it.  Hopefully, they’ll check it out throughly.  

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/19/britney-spears-housekeeper-assault-argument-dogs-criminal-complaint/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 6
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve also read the altercation was about the employee taking the the dog to the vet and her concern for its welfare, and it erupted when Britney voiced her disapproval. Employee tried to call the police when the phone was knocked away.  think this it it.  Hopefully, they’ll check it out throughly.  

https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/19/britney-spears-housekeeper-assault-argument-dogs-criminal-complaint/

Okay, that makes more sense. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

Others have explained but I don't think  it's Josh or Jodie being called misogynistic.  Joshua didn't add the details about how he also wanted to talk to her parents and wanted to propose as well until recently.

The misogyny and racism accusations are towards fans who decided that Jodie had to hear their displeasure about how she proposed even though it was Joshua who told the story. 

People getting upset that a woman proposed to her now husband is misogyny.  I have zero doubt that the nature of the comments left, and in the DMs, were pretty ugly. 

• Love 12
On 8/16/2021 at 2:35 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Barbra Streisand changes her tune and shades Gaga over ASIB remake. Ah Barbra, never change.

Also in light of all the discussions about conservatorships, there's a battle going on over Nichelle Nichols, Star Trek's Uhura. Her son says she has dementia and got the court to appoint him as conservator, her friend and her manager say he's taking advantage of her and she can still make her own decisions.

What's ASIB?

Old news but I don't think I knew this...

Actress Megan Mullally has seemingly opened up about her ongoing feud with co-star Debra Messing in a podcast.

Mullally first said: “I’ve been bullied – I’m 60 and I’m being bullied right now, so you know it’s a very insidious and dangerous thing, and I never want to lose that happy and innocent part of myself, but it’s almost like you have to kill that.

“But I never will, it’s part of who I am, it’s intrinsic to my nature.”

The 61-year-old actress continued to talk about the impact of bullies.

“You think it’s your fault. They’re good at making you feel like it’s you and that you brought this on yourself,” she said.

She then seemingly graced over her current feud with the Will & Grace actress.

“The thing that I’ve had happen – this is tough – because I’m not good at standing up to people and having boundaries. So as I’ve gotten older, I’ve thought that if anyone tried to do that now, I would try to defend myself,” Mullally said.

“But the thing is that I’ve had a recent situation and I can’t be specific about, but I had it happen and I did try to stand up for myself in certain ways and that made it a thousand times worse.

“Because the person, the bully, it just lit a fire under that person where they just tripled their efforts, and it can get very dangerous.

“That’s why I don’t know what to say about it unless you have great advocates who can come in and help you and really take charge of the situation. This was a work situation for me – it’s tough because the very nature of the bully is that once they’re challenged, they really go to town.

“Like you thought it was bad before, wait.”

Mullally also seemed to explain why she doesn’t follow her other co-stars on social media or why she doesn’t interact with the cast.

She explained: “I’m pretty much on my own in this situation because the bully has recruited many of my allies to their side, and now they’re not my allies anymore.”

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/will-grace-star-megan-mullally-claims-shes-being-bullied-at-work/news-story/c5b79244e9d15c8f55baa39870cdf7fa

1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

Because I'm now paranoid... was that housekeeper hired by Jamie Spears? And did the vet find anything wrong with the dog?

The Housekeeper was absolutely hired by Jamie. In the Ronan Farrow article he spoke to the old housekeeper who was replaced once the conservatorship was in place. Britney's money pays for her employees but Jamie picks and manages them.

I'm of the opinion that we don't know enough to form an opinion at this point. It's possible Britney lashed out in a fight and it's possible someone in Jamie's employ is making up a story to make her look bad before they go back to court. Or a little from both options. We don't have anywhere near enough information to know. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

The response from Britney’s attorney really rubs me the wrong way. He denies it happened but also says:

“Anyone can make an accusation but this should have been closed immediately,” Rosengart said. “To its credit, the Sheriff’s office itself has acknowledged that the incident was classified as a ‘very minor misdemeanor…’ and confirmed ‘there were no injuries.’ If this did not involve Britney Spears it never would have been reported at all.”

Yes, realistically nothing will come of it but to publicly suggest that the police should immediately close a report by an employee who says they were assaulted in any way is completely backwards. 

2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Because I'm now paranoid... was that housekeeper hired by Jamie Spears? And did the vet find anything wrong with the dog?

According to TMZ the dogs were removed. If it's true they did find something.

And, of course Britney is blaming Jamie.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Dani said:

The response from Britney’s attorney really rubs me the wrong way. He denies it happened but also says:

Yes, realistically nothing will come of it but to publicly suggest that the police should immediately close a report by an employee who says they were assaulted in any way is completely backwards. 

If nothing happened, how could it be "classified as a minor misdemeanor" with "no injuries."   Assault doesn't require injuries.

ON THE OTHER HAND, how conveeeenient that we are suddenly hearing claims of her assualting employees right when she asks her dad to step down.

ON THE OTHER OTHER HAND, her conservator of the person did say the whole clash with her dad was causing her stress and her mental state is fragile.   So she could have had an outburst.

• Love 9
On 8/18/2021 at 4:23 PM, Mabinogia said:

I have no idea what might have 'really' happened with Miss Spears, her employee or her dog. However, whichever way the dust settles on what may have happened, it seems obvious to me that keeping Mr. Spears as her 'executor' has been completely counterproductive for every aspect of her life including her mental state so he needs to be dumped ASAP even if it turns out that she does need someone else to keep watch over her. 

• Love 9
On 8/17/2021 at 4:08 PM, Enigma X said:

Maybe, I should take my opinion to the UO thread, but I thought the newest version of ASIB was a great movie, even if Gaga's acting was mediocre. The worst version was Streisand's. 

I fully agree (and concur with Cher's assessment of that version as 'terrible'). IMO: Glass houses, Miss Streisand. 

• Love 5