Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

And then he followed that gem up with  an interview where he also said he believes gay actors should stay in the closet.  Claiming that the less you know about the actor, the better the "mystique".

Wow. 

Just...wow. 

• Love 5
On 7/31/2021 at 12:53 AM, DearEvette said:

So either they did it blatantly and decided it was an affordable risk and didn't think she would dare raise a stink or the language in the contract gives wiggle room. 

I'm thinking that the language in the contract gives them wiggle room.  Disney has a shit-ton of attorneys who had to have been on top of this.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Sometimes, I feel like I’m living in an alternate universe. How in the hell can you live in 2021 and not realize using slurs against people is unacceptable?  Matt Damon? Are you kidding me?  His own daughter has to call him out on it a few months ago!  It really makes me think his IQ is pretty low. What a disappointment.  Glad I discovered what he’s really like.  Ughh
😔https://www.tmz.com/2021/08/01/matt-damon-stopped-using-homophobic-slur-f-word-recently/

If you've ever seen Team America: World Police, you know there's a reason they made fun of him in that movie. In an interview he once said that he was confused by the portrayal.

It's because you say a lot of stupid shit, Matt.

Edited by WritinMan
  • LOL 10
  • Love 6

Every time Matt Damon is out "promoting" a new movie, he always publicly reveals how stupid he is yet again.  I gotta wonder about his poor publicist. 

Amanda Knox is also speaking out publicly against "Stillwater", his movie.  I remember she was making jokes about it during Father's Day, but I guess she's changed her tune:

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 3

Witherspoon and CEO Sarah Harden will continue to run the company and remain equity holders. They will also join the board of the new media company.

I was confused at first but Reese is staying with the company. It's just being folded into a bigger company because God forbid everything isn't a corporate behemoth. 

Every time Matt Damon is out "promoting" a new movie, he always publicly reveals how stupid he is yet again.  I gotta wonder about his poor publicist. 

That is The Devil Wears Prada I want (from the POV of the publicist/personal assistant) but I'm sure there are contracts and legalities to prevent them from gossiping. 

41 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Amanda Knox is also speaking out publicly against "Stillwater", his movie.  I remember she was making jokes about it during Father's Day, but I guess she's changed her tune:

I've never been sure about her.  In some ways I feel like she got away with murder.  I'd wonder why she felt the need to speak up - this is hardly the first time a movie has been made on a similar theme.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I've never been sure about her.  In some ways I feel like she got away with murder.  I'd wonder why she felt the need to speak up - this is hardly the first time a movie has been made on a similar theme.

How about you read the article?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 7/31/2021 at 12:48 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

am curious if an actor's contract would have requirements for a movie to play in theatres for a certain number of days? Because how would that work if a movie tanks on opening weekend? And wouldn't that also go hand in hand with how many screens a movie was showing on, which is also something I would be surprised that actors had any control over.

Disney has deeper pockets than any Hollywood actor. If Disney decides not to honor a contract, it just means that the actor can spend a ton of money trying to fight it. If worse comes to worst, Disney will settle, and even that will cost them a lot less than the initial contract. That’s how the real world works. Contracts are meaningless.

• Love 1

So THR looked into the actual legalities of SJ's suit and says it's weak. I've condensed the highlights:

The first thing that anyone should understand about her suit alleging she was short-changed by the Black Widow release is that the actress (or at least her reps) wanted this dispute to go public in a big way. A headline in The Wall Street Journal timed to the court filing was no accident....

The explanation why Disney should be the betting favorite against Johansson begins with the very fact that it’s not every day that an A-list star sues a huge studio. That’s not quite the same as saying that these headline-makers aren’t bringing legal claims. In fact, they are. All the time. We just don’t know about it. Simply put, these disputes most often occur behind the closed doors of arbitration.

Undoubtedly, Johansson has an arbitration clause in her deal with Marvel. For all of Thursday’s headlines (true as they technically may be) that Johansson is alleging that her contract to star in Black Widow was breached when Disney decided to put the superhero movie on Disney+ the same day that it premiered in theaters, she’s not formally asserting breach of contract as a cause of action in her lawsuit. To do so would almost certainly mean a straight ticket to arbitration. Instead, Johansson is making the sideways legal claim that Disney, as parent company, caused Marvel, its subsidiary, to breach contractual obligations....

Unfortunately for Johansson, it also highlights how there’s not much guarantee it will stick there. Disney’s first move in this case is very likely to be a motion to compel arbitration on the argument that gamesmanship can’t evade an agreement to privately litigate this type of dispute....

According to the suit filed by the actress, “At the time the Agreement was entered, it was well understood by the parties and Disney that a ‘theatrical release’ referred to an exclusive release in theatres for an extended period of time that was roughly 90-120 days. With the exception of certain less-valuable, direct-to-video releases, it has long been custom and practice in the film industry for feature films to have at least a 90-day exclusive theatrical release before they are released on home video.”

The problem is that the contract doesn’t explicitly say “exclusive,” and as far as industry custom and what was understood by the parties, that was before a pandemic disrupted pretty much everything.

When asserting tortious interference, plaintiffs must show an intentional and unjustified inducement of a breach of the contract, and given a virus that was causing movie theaters to close and moviegoers to stay away from the ones that were open, Disney can certainly defend itself by saying the decision to stream was warranted. In contract law, there’s also a concept called “frustration of purpose” where contractual duty is excused upon an unforeseen event (hello, COVID-19) that impedes performance....

Disney already had delayed the release an entire year. And with the delta variant of COVID-19 causing concern throughout the world, there’s not much guarantee of an improved theatrical market in a few months....In other words, Johansson can point to industry custom, but this moment in Hollywood’s history is truly unprecedented. Does that excuse the $50 million in box office bonuses she expected? We’ll see, but surely Johansson is not the only one facing disappointing financial returns during this pandemic, and Disney should and does get some discretion on the best way to leverage its content.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

DaBaby Apologizes to LGBTQ+ Community for 'Hurtful,' 'Triggering' Comments

"I want to apologize to the LGBTQ+ community for the hurtful and triggering comments I made. Again, I apologize for my misinformed comments about HIV/AIDS and I know education on this is important. Love to all. God bless."

Now, everybody who thinks he actually wrote & believes this statement raise your hand. Anybody? Somebody? One or two people? Yeah, me neither. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 13
16 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Funny how they always seem to apologize when they realize oh shit I'm going to lose money.

Right and why would Matt have said such a thing when he’s out promoting his new movie!  It’s outrageous.  I’m not sure he thought it through.  Why sabotage your own product?  Odd.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Funny how they always seem to apologize when they realize oh shit I'm going to lose money.

He didn't even really apologize when he thought he was going to lose money. He only apologized after he literally lost money over it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, GaT said:

DaBaby Apologizes to LGBTQ+ Community for 'Hurtful,' 'Triggering' Comments

Now, everybody who thinks he actually wrote & believes this statement raise your hand. Anybody? Somebody? One or two people? Yeah, me neither. 

Exactly how I feel about pretty much every single one of these post-offense mea culpas.  There's a reason people have publicists/public relations gurus at the ready.  These sort of pronouncements have become the norm in our society.  Whether or not they should be is a debate I'm not up for.

• Love 6

He got dropped by Lollapalozza, and then a bunch of other festivals followed suit. These are major festivals too, not something like the country fair. His career is on the line so he apologized. People are not buying it though because the cancellations have continued even after the 'apology'.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, letter8358 said:

After dating for nearly two decades, John Corbett and Bo Derek decided to tied the knot last year

I remember her other husband, too. I think he was a 50s  bit character actor...what was his name? Didn't have big roles, but he was really recognizable. Was it John Derek? I think that's his name. 

Yes! I mainly know him as Joshua in The Ten Commandments, but he was in a lot of stuff back in the day. 

Edit: and apparently they got together when he was in his late 40s, and she was 16. . . . :( 

Edited by Zella
4 minutes ago, bobalina said:

That's okay Linda Evans broke up Derek's marriage to Ursula  Andress.  Who broke up his first marriage.

You lose him how you got him. . . . 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I've read up on John Derek, and I refuse to blame any of the women in his life for his failed marriages, however imperfect they may be. Derek was a scummy, womanizing, lecherous, cheating pedophile.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 18

I hope at least some of us can agree that the former Mrs. Derek made a better  choice for her 2nd husband re marrying John Corbett than she did re her first husband. Of course, the question I have about her first union is WHERE WERE HER PARENTS?! 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I hope at least some of us can agree that the former Mrs. Derek made a better  choice for her 2nd husband re marrying John Corbett than she did re her first husband. Of course, the question I have about her first union is WHERE WERE HER PARENTS?! 

I've always wondered if the parents tried to stop her.    I guess the parents just gave up trying to stop her. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Derek

Congratulations to Bo Derek.

As for John Derek, I never knew he was married to Ursula Andress.   But I am not surprised, he had a "type."   Notice all of his wives looked alike?   Even if he made them get plastic surgery to do so.   He was a controlling ass.   I remember when Bo was married to him and she thought this was just so normal to have your husband control everything about you and your life.   No wonder she waited 20 years to marry again.   Even in a committed relationship she probably still felt she had freedom due to not being legally wed.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

The first time I ever heard the word Svengali or it being used was a description of Bo’s marriage to John. 
   Ursula Andress did go on to have a son named Dmitri. With Harry Hamlin who was many years her junior at the time. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BexKeps said:

My coworker says "If you got a cheater, you have a cheater." 

I suppose Mr. Derek stayed with his last wife until he died possibly due to being too old and tired to look any more and/or no one else wanting him due to his rep. 

I wonder if Miss Andress and Miss Evans have ever gotten together and just said 'good riddance' like Debbie Reynolds and Elizabeth Taylor did re their mutual ex Eddie Fisher? 

In any case, the former Mrs. Derek made the decision to wed Mr. Corbett in a much healthier position and after a lot  more time for the couple to consider possible shadowsides.  I wonder if Mr. Corbett (or anyone outside her original family ) addresses her in private by her original given name of 'Mary Cathleen' instead of the late Mr. Derek's tag of Bo? FWIW, I like those two names better. 

• Love 7

I think I recall reading that they all basically ended up as friends.  

Also, apparently according to his daughter John left Ursula over rumors she was having an affair and met Linda the following year.

editing to add:  I think we can all agree that he did the first three wives a favor when he left, and Linda kinda agrees (and is way nicer than I would be - old interview, but still relevant): https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/entertainment/fox411-qa-linda-evans-wanted-to-die-when-husband-left-her-for-15-year-old-bo-derek.amp

image.thumb.png.358f87492e66c219b40ca5a947fe3e5d.png

Edited by Crs97
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2

It reminds me of the late Jill Haworth's relationship with the late Sal Mineo, who was 20 when he dated her and she was 15 then. That's how they hooked up on the set of Exodus. At least, according to the book of Sal that Jill talked about him very positively and his only crime was getting caught with a man. That's when the tables turned. I knew about her other relationship with Aaron Spelling, who was 42 then and she being only 19. Something about that Golden Age  era(1910s-1970s) fascinates me and I know people use to look older in those time periods where people are suppose to look like adults, not teenagers. Especially if they are teenagers. Charlie Chaplin married a minor at the height of his career then. Gloria Swanson was raped by Wallace Beery when she was only 17 and she never loved him. While I am not supporting this attitude to men being dominant over helpless young women, it is fascinating how this went for so many years. I know nothing changed, but the continuing factor shows is how many times young underage women are freaking sex symbols and nothing worth of value. It's like when Joan Crawford was raped by her stepfather at such a young age and her mother blamed her. I am shocked this is brought back and continues. I know Angelica Huston might paint that picture of underage girls falling for older men in a romantic light, but there was not one thing good about that. 

• Useful 4