Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, xfuse said:

He had two failed CBS shows behind him where people said the only good thing about each show was him so they gave him H50

If Alex Whoever had two failed CBS shows before Hawaii 5-0 then it's pretty clear he's not the reason for a television show's success.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

If Alex Whoever had two failed CBS shows before Hawaii 5-0 then it's pretty clear he's not the reason for a television show's success.

Yep.  If you look at the resumes of DDK and Grace Park before they were cast in Hawaii 50 and then compare them to Alex and Scott, I think it gets even more insulting.

They were the known commodities in terms of acting and having successful series behind them. Scott was known because of his father and Alex was someone who CBS was bound and determined to make happen. What Alex and Scott got were the roles with instant name recognition because of the original show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
37 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I'm just baffled that anyone would pay a ton of money for the guy from Moonlight (no, not the good one... this dumb vampire show) and James Caan's son.

Hey ! I kind of liked Moonlight ( yes, the dumb vampire show ). Of course, I also ( 50 years after it ran on tv, no less !) will occasionally watch an episode or 2 of Dark Shadows, another, some would say, dumb vampire show ! So what do I know ??

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

This reminds me of Gillian Anderson's salary negotiations for XF. Even though she was the one with the Emmy, she had to sign a contract for three more years than Duchovney did to get parity. Which is why we got those last few subpar seasons instead of the the show going out on a high note.

Remember the ethereal little girl who played the Childlike Empress in The Neverending Story? She had men showing up at her house to propose marriage and offer nude roles at age 10.  And this was pre-internet. Neither her parents or she wanted to be 'a star', and she became a professional dancer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

UK celebrity news at the moment is all about the story of former professional footballer turned 'TV personality' Ashley Cain, whose baby daughter Azaylia has been battling leukaemia since she was just two months old, and has now been given just days to live, at only eight months of age. 😞 

And they have shared photos of the baby in the ambulance, in the hospital.  God, give the child some privacy.  And focus on her, rather than documenting it all for your "fans".  

• Love 3
On 4/9/2021 at 3:51 PM, isalicat said:

Who keeps letting this man breed? A bettah question!

Maybe now that they have the long-awaited baby sister for their eldest child/daughter together, they won’t find the need to continue procreating since it seemed Hilaria once made a promise to her eldest child that they would try to give/give her a baby sister after a baby brother or more (she apparently wanted a sister to play with closer in age than her adult—but willing to play with a kid—half-sister from her dad’s first marriage); which came off as why they had so many children in the first place. They kept getting pregnant, hoping for another girl & getting boys. Sadly, I remember reading that at least 1 of their miscarriages would’ve resulted in that baby sister if the pregnancy hadn’t ended.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To reword some comments.
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Quof said:

And they have shared photos of the baby in the ambulance, in the hospital.  God, give the child some privacy.  And focus on her, rather than documenting it all for your "fans".  

I don't disagree, but perhaps they actually may believe that their fans are their friends who they want  to share their lives with - as Michael J. Fox once did until he and his fiance Tracy Pollan got stalked by a dangerous one. 

On 4/13/2021 at 12:30 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't know why he took the position if he wasn't getting paid that well initially, that's his personal choice, but I definitely see why he didn't stay after this second negotiation.  Maybe his pay was lower at the beginning of the LOST and then it ended up being more respectful, and that he was waiting for that pattern to hold on H50 and it didn't.

After Lost, you signed on for Hawaii Five-0. Why did you decide to do that? I’m trying to square the person who is playing Prospero in theater productions doing a hard-core CBS procedural.

This is why he took the H50 role, from the article: It’s pretty simple, and it’s that my family is my priority. At the time, one of my sons was in elementary school, one was about to enter high school, and I really wanted them to grow up with a continuity of experience. I also really appreciated what Hawaii had to offer an Asian American family.

In other words, he mostly didn’t want to uproot his kids to new schools somewhere on the Mainland in the middle of their education, because of his work situation, if he didn’t have to. Like the Obamas said they stayed in DC after his term ended so Sasha could do her Senior year at the same school she’d been in since they left Chicago.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove an unnecessary nonsense word.
  • Useful 5
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yep.  If you look at the resumes of DDK and Grace Park before they were cast in Hawaii 50 and then compare them to Alex and Scott, I think it gets even more insulting.

Resumes don't really matter unless Oscar nominated or winner is in the description.

Q rating is a big factor and AO had a high q-rating. SC was also recognizable without knowing what tv shows or movies he was in. 

People will watch a new show for premise or for a certain actor. The more well known and likeable the actor is will draw more eyes to a show. When the show started I knew who AO and SC were. I watched maybe a few eps of Moonlight but that was it. I don't think I ever saw SC in anything besides H50 but I knew who he was.

Funny, I watched H50 for Grace Park (knew her from Battlestar Galactica) and Daniel Dae Kim from Lost. I knew Alex O'something from that awful vampire show but he certainly wasn't the draw for me. I knew Caan's father but that doesn't draw me to a show.

Then it turned out to be mostly a buddy cop show like thousand others with some added "local color" and I stopped watching. Maybe half a season? I don't remember.

Wow, I just checked and I can't believe this show ran 10 seasons. It was so boring.

• Love 12

This story is so heartbreaking. The parents report their daughter is suffering in so much pain and has only days to live. Doctors say there is nothing more they can do. So, the family has taken her home.   I’m confused as to why they aren’t aware of pediatric hospice.  They could be helping the entire family and keep the child comfortable.   Maybe, I’m missing something. 
https://people.com/parents/ashley-cain-daughter-back-home-from-emergency-room/

1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Funny, I watched H50 for Grace Park (knew her from Battlestar Galactica) and Daniel Dae Kim from Lost.

Same. I watched despite thinking Alex O' has the acting range of a block of wood because I loved DDK and GP and the beautiful Hawaiian scenery. Caan Jr was neither a detractor like Alex or a reason to watch like DDK, GP and Hawaii. He was fine but not a big draw for me. 

The more it became the Alex show the less engaged I became until I just gave up completely. I can look at beautiful Hawaii somewhere else and I wasn't getting nearly enough DDK and GP to make it worth suffering through AO.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This story is so heartbreaking. The parents report their daughter is suffering in so much pain and has only days to live. Doctors say there is nothing more they can do. So, the family has taken her home.   I’m confused as to why they aren’t aware of pediatric hospice.  They could be helping the entire family and keep the child comfortable.   Maybe, I’m missing something. 

She probably is in hospice care. There are limits on what can be do to make someone comfortable. 

4 minutes ago, Dani said:

She probably is in hospice care. There are limits on what can be do to make someone comfortable. 

I hope so, but they don’t mention anything that hospice could be doing to help the parents and the baby.  It’s horrible to stress how much pain and suffering she has, but no mention of getting her relief.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  

I thought the show was pretty mediocre for many reasons, but I never could get past Scott Caan's hair in H50. He just irritates me in general for reasons that I can't articulate, but something about his hairstyle--which I'm not a fan of on anyone--on him just really irritated the hell out of me. Yes, I know this is petty. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 13
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

This is why he took the H50 role, from the article: It’s pretty simple, and it’s that my family is my priority. At the time, one of my sons was in elementary school, one was about to enter high school, and I really wanted them to grow up with a continuity of experience. I also really appreciated what Hawaii had to offer an Asian American family.

In other words, he mostly didn’t want to uproot his kids to new schools somewhere on the Mainland in the middle of their education, because of his work situation, if he didn’t have to. Like the Obamas said they stayed in DC after his term ended so Sasha could do her Senior year at the same school she’d been in since they left Chicago.

Which makes sense because priorities are important. But if you are trying to find a job in a location where there is only one employment option for you, don't be surprised if your future employer has the upper hand in negotiations and offers you less than what you could get if you were willing to move.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope so, but they don’t mention anything that hospice could be doing to help the parents and the baby.  It’s horrible to stress how much pain and suffering she has, but no mention of getting her relief.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  

In my experience, in the final days there is no real relief from the pain and suffering. I am grateful to hospice but in the end it wasn’t very helpful despite their best efforts. 

8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Not all areas have paediatric hospice care available. And some families prefer to have their loved ones at home with them. Palliative hospice care can be provided in the home environment, with nurses attending multiple times a day to administer whatever medication is required. In the case of this family, their child has lived in hospital for six months of her short life. They want her to spend her final days at home with her family.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

On Thursday morning, the two issued a joint statement shared exclusively with Today.

"We have realized we are better as friends and look forward to remaining so. We will continue to work together and support each other on our shared businesses and projects. We wish the best for each other and one another's children. Out of respect for them, the only other comment we have is to say is thank you to everyone who has sent kind words and support," the statement read.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dejana said:

Would it be too much to hope that Miss Lopez would use this time    to decide to take a long break from dating for a while to concentrate on being a parent AND to work out for herself what would be the best standards for any future flames, companions and/or spouses? And  along those lines, would it be too much to hope that Miss Lopez considers that perhaps going with those who've had lengthy and public track records of being playas isn't the best guarantor of either a stable or monogamous bond?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:
30 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Would it be too much to hope that Miss Lopez would use this time    to decide to take a long break from dating for a while to concentrate on being a parent AND to work out for herself what would be the best standards for any future flames, companions and/or spouses? And  along those lines, would it be too much to hope that Miss Lopez considers that perhaps going with those who've had lengthy and public track records of being playas isn't the best guarantor of either a stable or monogamous bond?

It seems pretty misogynic to blame Jennifer for the failure of this relationship and expect her to do some soul searching before embarking upon a new relationship.  Why do we hold women to higher standards  than men?  A-Rod is a parent.  Shouldn't he be the one who needs to work on not cheating on his partner???  What a wonderful example he is setting for his children.  

It’s one hundred percent a double standard rooted in misogyny. Also, I have no questions about her parenting skills. She spends a lot of time with them, and they seem to really love her. Jennifer Lopez is definitely family oriented, and I think that comes from her upbringing.

• Love 22

Oh, for crying outloud! I was NOT 'blaming Jennifer for the failure of this relationship' in ANY way. ALL I was saying was that it wouldn't hurt for her to consider how she could do better in the future (or even whether she really needs to be dating again for a certain time)! Are you saying you don't think she's capable of attempting to improve herself and her standards? If so,  IMO, that's rather infantilizing. 

Oh,and I ALSO think Mr. Rodriguez could do better to set a good example for his offspring and, if he refuses to consider staying faithful to his flames, at least only be in bonds with other openly unfaithful flames from now on.

I think ALL folks of both genders need to be held to high standards- and the idea that somehow since men haven't been called to be held to as high a standard as women means we SHOULD call them to as high standards NOT use that to pretend that women shouldn't attempt to strive the best they can be (which ALL sentient adult humans should aspire to). 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

Would it be too much to hope that Miss Lopez would use this time    to decide to take a long break from dating for a while to concentrate on being a parent AND to work out for herself what would be the best standards for any future flames, companions and/or spouses?

I don't think she needs to take a break.  She has had relationships that ended as most people do who aren't married forever.  But she's successful.  She has a good relationship with her exes.  She doesn't seem devastated. 

Should she reconsider getting married/engaged?  Probably.  Mainly because it gets messy with her amount of wealth.  But does she have to be celibate?  I see no reason for that.  Just because her relationships don't last forever doesn't mean they were worthless or a waste of time.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 23

The (what would this have been, her) fourth marriage is the triumph of optimism over experience.  Seriously, stop pretending that you believe a relationship is going to last "'til death do us part."  There is no reason to co-mingle your money, your property and even your families.  Just date as long as you are both happy, then go your separate ways.  You can buy yourself jewellery.  Is it the wedding you like?  As Oprah says "I can buy a new dress and have a big party with all of my friends any time I want. It doesn't have to be a wedding."

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

(And I don’t even care about Jennifer Lopez. Ugh.)

LOL.  Me neither and I agree with you.

As long as both partners are consenting adults, then I feel a person should live their romantic life how they want to. 

I do think celebrities make the mistake of giving the press too much access into that romantic life.  It is one thing to go about your business with your partner or partners living your best life, but it is another to court press about each romantic liaison and put all your intimate business on the street willingly.  If I were a celebrity I'd be more like Janet Jackson wrt t my romantic life and have all these stealth romances and marriages.  The ones where you don't even find out she was married until after it is already over.  To this day people will still swear it was El Debarge she as married to not James.  LOL.

• Love 17

You can buy yourself jewellery.  Is it the wedding you like?  As Oprah says "I can buy a new dress and have a big party with all of my friends any time I want. It doesn't have to be a wedding."

I love this so much. Not for relationships (I do aspire to marriage) but singledom. It makes celebrating your personal happiness sound so fun.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Dejana said:

I'm not at all surprised. They were just another "look at us!" Instagram couple. Even if they had gone ahead & gotten married, I'm pretty sure it would just have ended up in divorce. Any couple that posts tons of photos of themselves showing how in love they are is never going to last. I'm just waiting on Lori Harvey/Michael Jordan & Shailene Woodley/Aaron Rogers to break up. 

• Love 5

Chrissy Teigen returns to Twitter:

On Friday morning, just over three weeks after bidding farewell, Teigen returned, explaining her newfound outlook on Twitter.

"turns out it feels TERRIBLE to silence yourself and also no longer enjoy belly chuckles randomly throughout the day and also lose like 2000 friends at once lol," she wrote, adding, "I choose to take the bad with the good!!"

A fan excitedly replied to Teigen, writing, "how have you been what's going on do you have any fun anecdotes i have missed you dearly," to which the star joked, "I've spent weeks just saying tweets to shampoo bottles."

She never left Instagram, but it's a totally different sort of energy there.

Sometimes people forget that you can disengage with portions of the internet for a time (or for good) without dramatically flouncing/deleting your account. 

The Pete Davidson/Phoebe Dynevor thing appears to be going strong:

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Someone made an interesting point saying why couldn't Chrissy Teigen just simply take a break from Twitter for a bit instead of this huge announcement saying she's quitting.  I guess it's because she's a true addict.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Someone made an interesting point saying why couldn't Chrissy Teigen just simply take a break from Twitter for a bit instead of this huge announcement saying she's quitting.  I guess it's because she's a true addict.

I wonder if  any of those folks who wondered why Miss Teigen might have instead simply taken a break from Twitter  with no announcement for a bit might have been told that they were 'applying a double standard 100 percent rooted in misogyny'- instead of being given the doubt that they didn't want this grieving mother who'd lost their child before the child was ready to be born to be needless hurt by  'Net trolls and haters?

BTW, I never said  that Miss Lopez needed to quit dating altogether after her broken engagement to Mr. Rodriguez or needed to conform to 1950's dating and marriage standards! ALL I said was that it wouldn't hurt for her to take a break from dating for an unspecified time (NOT that she HAD to take a break) and, if she opted to do so,  that she might make use of that time to decide for herself whether it suited her to keep choosing dates, companions and/or spouses who had been known to have been playas . Maybe she thinks the way she's done things from her teens to this time of her life is ginger peachy OR maybe she might think that this is not what she wants out of life for her golden years for her children and herself- either way, I recognize that this is entirely her call.  

Gee, I wonder why wanting someone  to hope they may want to be the best person they can be (as would best suit them individually) would possibly be considered being misogynist or  having a double standard? Would this mean if I expressed the  hope that Mr. Rodriguez also decided on his own to take a break from dating for an unspecified time to consider using that time to decide for himself whether being a playa was worth sacrificing what he may have  had had he opted to be a monogamous  companion and that I would also hope that he'd want to be the best person he could possibly  (as best would suit him individually)  for his children and himself, would that also be considered applying a double standard 100 percent rooted in misandry? 

Edited by Blergh
clarity
  • Love 4

"It's painful to silence yourself."   Except she wasn't silenced.   She was just not on ONE particular platform.   There were plenty of other ways to engage with fans without being on Twitter.   Also not sharing every single bit of your life is not "silencing yourself" its setting appropriate boundaries and understanding that strangers don't need the details of your life.  

but yeah, everyone knew she would be back because she can't go without the attention.   Which is why she did an afflouncement when she "left."   She could have quietly taken a break but no one would have noticed and talked about it if she did that.

• Love 22

Agree with this (quietly taking a break vs announcing your “departure”).  I like Chrissy but she just goes overboard sometimes.  Not everything going in your life or mind needs to be shared.

Edited by DkNNy79
  • Love 13

The only thing I will criticize Chrissy for is that, as a regular Twitter user, she should have known better to "officially quit" Twitter because very few permanently leave the platform even if that's 100% their intent.

Caveat:  If she didn't do an official "goodbye" post and only said she was taking a break or hid her account, then maybe she knew she'd be back when she was ready.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The only thing I will criticize Chrissy for is that, as a regular Twitter user, she should have known better to "officially quit" Twitter because very few permanently leave the platform even if that's 100% their intent.

Caveat:  If she didn't do an official "goodbye" post and only said she was taking a break or hid her account, then maybe she knew she'd be back when she was ready.

I've seen some folks  quit posting with zero announcements or fanfare but simply let things fade on their own rather than do a big 'goodbye'. If she'd done the former, then Miss Teigen would have been more able to decide for herself (with far less pressure) whether that break was to be temporary or permanent. To each one's own but there's no reason she couldn't opt to do that if she were to decide that it would be best to just be done with the whole thing.

• Love 2

I watched that Lindsey Ellis video and I almost 100 percent agree with her about how stupid this all is, and I appreciate the fact that she did appologize for the things that she has said and done that were awful on the face of them.

then she said "CinemaSins brain poisoning" about similarity being bad and I got quite offended.  Cancel LE!!!  How dare she  

(that is a joke, to be clear.  It did make me to a bit of a record scratch and rewind for a sec.)

This entire situation is while I hate Social Media.

AND... the tweet that started this was not only true (and obviously so) but not problematic at all.  I didn't even know who she was and I was angry at these people on her behalf.  So, gratz Twitter assholes, you probably got the woman followers and subscribers.

Edited by ouinason
  • Love 7
On 4/17/2021 at 2:43 PM, Irlandesa said:

Right.  I mean, we all knew it wasn't gonna be permanent.  And I actually like Chrissy and understand why she would have needed a break.  But "Public Afflouncement" (I love this term BTW) is never a good look.  It would have been better and more understandable if she said she was taking a small mental health break from twitter for awhile so if we didn't see her posting, then that is why... blah blah blah. 

• Love 13