Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E08: Sheer Genius

• Start Topic

I definitely think Chelsey has a better future, her designs are more interesting and innovative and that she would flourish under a CFDA mentorship whereas Victoria would not. But Chelsey’s garment was just terrible. I get the argument for offing Victoria for not adhering to the challenge and I would have been fine with it. Doesn’t change the fact that Chelsey’s garment was truly, truly awful. I would have been fine if Christian had saved her too. 

• Love 16

My favorite outfit today was the one Marquise was wearing when he entered and my favorite moment was his entrance. 

Victoria, Victoria. I think I could figure out what (Moldavian) sheer meant if I were in Moldavia, without knowing a word of Moldavian. Context. Eyes. Pointing. Thinking. 

She’s a fibber or severely challenged. I’m going with fibber. 

Edited by gooberfish
Moldova and Moldavia are both correct.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
On 1/31/2020 at 6:45 PM, heavysnaxx said:

I thought Victoria's model looked wretched in that yellow and that it pulled and puckered in multiple places, making her model's curves look unattractive.

While I didn't have any real objections to the color, I believed it was just plain too tight.  Her breasteses appeared to be looking for an escape portal, and that was its best feature.  I mean, come on:

Screenshot (93).png

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
its not it's
  • LOL 7
  • Love 13

Delvin and Brittany are snarky, but I don't mind it. If you want to watch a competition show where everyone is sweet to each other, watch Great British Baking Show. The snark is partially what makes this show entertaining. I completely agreed with them--they should have been in the top with Sergio and Marquise and Nancy should have been in the bottom. I had the exact same reaction while sitting in my living room. "Wait, what? Marquise and his weird sheer collar thing that looked like a drapery sash is in the top? Jeffery is in the bottom then? Huh?"

• Love 5

For anyone with Netflix, there is a new show mirroring Project Runway, it’s called ‘Next in Fashion’.  The contestants seem to be more advanced than what we’ve seen on Project Runway.  It’s worth a look.  

Edited by Emmeline
  • Useful 7
  • Love 17

Definition of a self perceived 'Special Snowflake':   Victoria

This bugs the heck out of me:  They're not titties.  They are not boobs (I don't think anyone referred to them as such on the episode).  They are breasts.  The worst is that so many celebrity women call them boobs.  Are you in a frat house...or middle school?

Chelsey deserved to stay over Victoria.  Victoria is one note.  Bullshit on the 'sheer' excuse.  Ask your mentor if you don't understand.  I guess special snowflakes are above that so they should get a pass in their minds.

I'm really enjoying Christian.  It took some time but he's getting his groove on now.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Emmeline said:

For anyone with Netflix, there is a new show mirroring Project Runway, it’s called ‘Next in Fashion’.  The contestants seem to be more advanced than what we’ve seen on Project Runway.  It’s worth a look.  

Thank you! Watching now. It’s really good!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Emmeline said:

I tried it but hated the judging. I felt like I really didn’t get a chance to appreciate the garments. I just wanted the judges to sit down and stop acting like they were standing around a water cooler. The talent of the designers though? Stellar.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, hookedontv said:

And no way Victoria didn’t understand “sheer”. What a crock of Moldavian bullshit. Can’t believe she’s still in the competition. 

Victoria is immature, entitled and has a severely exaggerated opinion of her own work. She is precisely the type of contestant that I was hoping the reboot of this show would avoid. She isn’t amazing, despite what Christian thinks. Victoria sucks all of the fun out of this show. The repetition of not understanding “sheer” was pure nonsense and someone should have called her out on it.

23 hours ago, PDXlulu said:

Does anyone else hate Brittany?  She is many of the things we complain about when we discuss Sergio.  She has an inflated ego, she is dismissive of others' talent, and she has the personality of a pancake.

I am ready for both Brittany and Victoria to clean up their work spaces and leave.

I dislike Brittany, too. She needs to be the loudest voice and the most dominant personality in the room. That’s not a good thing. However, I suspect that Brittany and Victoria will be two of the finalists...and, if that’s the case, I may not watch.

Agree with the top three looks. Sad to see that Chelsey goes while self involved Victoria remains. I was done with Nina about four years ago so I have no patience for her defense of Victoria. Thank goodness the guest judge noted Victoria’s complete lack of humility.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

While I didn't have any real objections to the color, I believed it was just plain too tight.  Her breasteses appeared to be looking for an escape portal, and that was it's best feature.  I mean, come on:

Screenshot (93).png

The model looks like she escaped from a wild animal, leaving behind tatters from her dress in the animal's claws.

• LOL 11
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

“Is that a pool cover?” was unnecessarily b- - - -y and didn’t even make sense. 

Yeah, I didn’t get that either.

I don’t really like hearing the comments from the judges while the runway is going on.

• Love 8

Nothing against Nancy, because she’s one of my favorites, but why don’t they all include pockets more often, if the judges find them so irresistible? They are really easy to make, too. The judges have been gushing about them since at least season 2.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

While I didn't have any real objections to the color, I believed it was just plain too tight.  Her breasteses appeared to be looking for an escape portal, and that was it's best feature.  I mean, come on:

Screenshot (93).png

Victoria’s lucky her lovely model looked so good in that color. She literally made lemonade out of lemons

• Love 2
12 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Can you imagine what Victoria’s interview with Christian would have been like?

I am guessing would have been completely silent. Victoria could not have even pretended to be somewhat cordial when he checked in on her in the workroom. 

I am picturing Victoria's store with everything basically the same. It would have a bunch of asymmetrical coats with big shoulders, asymmetrical dresses with cutouts, or bondage-y crop tops with cutouts with maybe a pair of pants. Than is pretty much all she designs.

Christian said in the after show video with Chelsey that the judges probably liked that Victoria has a strong point of view. I did like in the video that Chelsey did not seem to be the biggest Victoria fan.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

They were asking whether it were intended to be the type of garment you wear over a swimsuit hanging out by/ going to/fro the swimming pool.

Wow, that never occurred to me. I thought that she was comparing it to something you’d buy at Home Depot.

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
28 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I thought it was hilarious when I believed she meant a tarp to cover a swimming pool...

22 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

They were asking whether it were intended to be the type of garment you wear over a swimsuit hanging out by/ going to/fro the swimming pool.

...but now I realize she meant a swimsuit coverup, lol

22 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I don’t really like hearing the comments from the judges while the runway is going on.

I love hearing the judges' comments!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

she freaks out again insisting she doesn't understand sheer despite it almost certainly having been explained to her at least twice, if not more - because remember they all get an off-camera rundown of the rules AND time to ask questions as far as I know.

Exactly! This is a game show with a cash prize - they make sure the challenge is understood! There are game show laws after all. Heck - that silly little Netflix show "Nailed It!" goes through the off camera run down, time to ask questions, sign off on understanding the challenge... And the prize on that show is only $10,000! So yeah, Victoria had complete understanding of the challenge. Even the word "sheer."

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Because they're stupid (in my opinion).

If it was Christian making the comments I'd probably love to hear it.

2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Nothing against Nancy, because she’s one of my favorites, but why don’t they all include pockets more often, if the judges find them so irresistible? They are really easy to make, too. The judges have been gushing about them since at least season 2.

I kind of HATE when judges go nuts over a pocket in a gown.  It's become such a cliche to rave about it at this point.  You're right.  It could be an easy cheat.  Gown with a pocket.  Then boom.  Karlie will vote it first.

• Love 4

Well, drat. It should have been Victoria, but of course they telegraphed that it would be Chelsey with the in depth sob story earlier in the episode. They need to cut that out. Why oh why did she scrap her ruffled dress - it looked so much better than what she ended up with!

My actual favorite was Delvin’s, but I can see why Sergio won. It looked like he had a week to make that dress instead of one day. His model looked amazing.

I agreed with Brittany and Delvin - shock that Marquise was in the top. I thought that weird draping with the model’s boobs hanging below it was really unflattering. I would have swapped him and Geoffrey; although Thijin was floppy it still looked good. Something about Nancy’s looked very dated to me, but I can’t figure out what. Maybe the shoulder loofah? 

On a personal note, I bought my sister a top for Christmas from Banana Republic Outlet that looked almost exactly like the one Elaine was wearing (except it is black). She wore it to out to dinner a few weeks ago and when she texted me a picture of herself wearing it her comment was that it was cute, but basically, it feels like you are half dressed and going to dinner in a camisole because of the top being see through! 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Gothish520 said:
5 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I thought it was hilarious when I believed she meant a tarp to cover a swimming pool...

I thought they were referring to those stupid arm loops as if they were the bungees that attach a pool cover in the wintertime. Made sense to me 🙂

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, heavysnaxx said:

Victoria's behavior reminds me more and more of my nephew who got furious with me when he lost a game we were playing.

We were playing Sorry! and he was four.

And she was pouting!   Literally pouting.   My loathing quotient with her has been upped to the point that I may actually be starting to like Sergio.   Only in comparison, though; only in comparison!

• LOL 8
  • Love 16

Victoria's hideous yellow thing looked like something she intentionally threw together as shittily as possible to spite Christian (how dare he criticize her?!?!) and to spite the rules, which she apparently thinks do not apply to her.

Can you imagine what she'd make for a client whose preferences did not align with hers?  I can:  That hideous yellow thing that she put out on the runway out of spite.   She is not open to anything other than affirmation of her own genius.

• Love 17
24 minutes ago, Beden said:

Right up there with 'the girls'. Puhlease.

This brings to mind a commercial during Demand On DirectTV where a woman is sitting there talking about her girls being with her forever, through good times and bad times yada yada. I'm always fooled into thinking she's talking about her friends, but nope, it's her breasts.  HAHA

It really was a toss-up as to who made the worst garment this week, but I would have kept Chelsea just for her positive energy and upbeat personality. I love her story; she deserves the chance. Victoria sucks all the energy out the room. Her garment was pretty bad and you just know that next week, she'll be back to making the same dress. She is pretty though, and pretty people seem to have a pass that many of us don't have.  One positive thing about Victoria is that I know know where Moldova is because I had to look it up. It's east of Romania if anyone cares, and Romanian is their main language. 🙂

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

I already belong to TVForums but wasn't following this show. I came here to share in my frustration over Victoria and you guys did not disappoint! 🙂 I was already annoyed that she only designs one outfit over and over but then the pity party just put me over the top with her. She should have been eliminated AND I'm honestly MOST shocked that Christian didn't use his save!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I am guessing that Victoria’s husband enables her, based on her telling us that he was willing to invest in a retail store, which seems so risky. Maybe her parents did, too. 

That yellow dress was ugly on every level and made her beautiful model look sausage-y. Elaine (or the guest judge?) thought she was bangin’? 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 10

Victoria may have been a brat during this challenge, but Chelsea's outfit was really unfortunate.  The under-part was awful and those sleeves were ill-fitting and ugly.   So baded on output and not behavior, I think the right person was eliminated.  I also thought Brittany's outfit was bad, like shorty-pajama bad, although the top might have worked with a nice full skirt.  I didn't really mind the color.  Oh, and DaYoung looked beautiful in her talking heads.  She must have made those when she was feeling better.

• Love 5
On 1/31/2020 at 6:34 AM, hookedontv said:

Hahaha. Karlie has such a weird way of speaking. Everything Karlie says, to me, sounds like she's announcing something versus just talking/saying her lines. And she has these weird hand gestures, again, like she's announcing. 

Karlie reminds me of Alexis in Schitts Creek.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Gloriosa said:

I also thought Brittany's outfit was bad, like shorty-pajama bad, although the top might have worked with a nice full skirt.  I didn't really mind the color.  

Yeah, this. I didn't like it and wasn't exactly sure why. This description brought to mind something I haven't thought about in donkey's years. Pink sponge curlers and the pale pink nylon ruffled cap I wore over them. Dated and frumpy.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Screenshot (93).png

That looks like 3 different dresses cut apart and sewed together!  The skirt hanging down reminds me of my gold bathroom curtains.

17 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Can you imagine what Victoria’s interview with Christian would have been like?

He would not be able to contain his loathing for her.

1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

I suspect she and her husband cooked up a PR strategy, which is "pretend not to understand English as an excuse to do whatever I want."

She reminds me of the criminals on Live PD who suddenly can't speak English when the cops are questioning them.

Were the judges made aware of how much of everyone else's time she wasted having her I'm quitting pity party. Hopefully next time they all will ignore her.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

That was the first thing I've heard Karli say that sounded so mean and unnecessary, even more because Chelsea could hear it.  

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, carrps said:

Yeah, this. I didn't like it and wasn't exactly sure why. This description brought to mind something I haven't thought about in donkey's years. Pink sponge curlers and the pale pink nylon ruffled cap I wore over them. Dated and frumpy.

Dated is right!  Her model looked like something out of the pajama party scene in the movie "Grease." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Chelsea: Maybe she would have had more of a chance if she hadn’t admitted that the sleeves were the plan from the start. Those were awful. 

Brittany: I think safe was the right spot for it. The bodice looked messy to me with the wiggly pleats. I agree that it looks kind of like pajamas from a 60’s beach movie. 

Geoffrey: Seems like a lovely human, but I just do not share his aesthetic. 

• Love 6
On 1/31/2020 at 6:58 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I preferred Chelsea's over the looks from both Marquise and Victoria.  Victoria's garment had absolutely zero relationship to the challenge, so it's difficult to justify her continued presence in the competition as anything other than "made for TV".  Marquise's look was horribly cheapened by the fabric choice imo.  Was I the only one who heavily eye-rolled Nina for gushing over Marquise's T-shirt?  Don't several designers construct garments for themselves to tie in with their look, every week and have for several seasons?  wtf Nina  

Sergio's dress was stunning, fringe and all.

Delvin's look was a little better in theory than it was on the model, but was appropriate as "safe".  I actually thought Brittany's look was a 2nd place finisher.  I didn't hate Nancy's, but don't think it was deserving of all of the judge love.

I believe Geoffrey should drop to his knees and pray to the Moldovian ear gauge Gods for not being auf'd.  

On my island:

1. Sergio
  2. Brittany
  3. Tie:  Delvin/Nancy/Chelsea
  4. Marquise
  5. Geoffrey
  6. Dayoung
  7. Victoria

I don’t know why they hated Chelsey’s. I thought it was really cute. I didn’t even mind that she had a different undergarment under the skirt. Of course, Jessica made it look even more amazing. And as everyone pointed out, Chelsey took Christian’s advice and tried to improve her original design. Victoria just kept moping about Christian’s suggestions while continuing to construct the same dress.

• Love 8
On 1/30/2020 at 11:58 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Delvin’s model has absolutely no breasts. An easy fit model.

Victoria is a spoiled bitch, plain and simple, and she uses her lack of English to try and gain sympathy.  Her sobbing is bullshit and I don’t believe for a minute that her English is that bad.  Nina is visually impaired.  All Vic needed to do is ask anyone to show her an example of sheer.

I really loved Nancy’s dress.

That was my take, too. Even if she has a language barrier, which I think she is faking, there's no excuse for a "designer" not to be aware of fashion trends and to understand what the material is when shown examples. She may not have known the English word "shear" but a quick translation should have been all she needed. She is just acting out for attention and making excuses for poor design. Even if she had done a great job this week I still think the judges should tell her they're tired of seeing the same thing over and over from her. Frankly I think all those obvious two length skirts and strips of fabric look cheap, homemade and like the person who constructed them has no training whatsoever. 

I really disliked Chelsea's design too but I love her personality. Wish they would have kept her instead. She's done some great work in other challenges and at least she embraces the challenges rather than turning out the same piece of crap week after week. 

I'm also sorry to see Dayoung go but if she's that fragile, there's no way she can hope to survive something like this competition.

• Love 15
On 1/31/2020 at 9:34 AM, hookedontv said:

Hahaha. Karlie has such a weird way of speaking. Everything Karlie says, to me, sounds like she's announcing something versus just talking/saying her lines. And she has these weird hand gestures, again, like she's announcing. 

Karlie may be confusing herself with Vanna White. 

Me too, I'd totally join. I would love to go out for drinks with Christian and just let the banter flow. 

Right? It also seems like she choreographs and rehearses the weird hand gestures and head tilts in advance.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2