Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E08: Sheer Genius

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I was wondering that if Victoria actually did walk out and quit, would they have brought back Shavi, who was eliminated in the challenge before Marquise to replace someone who quit? 

The season already has a set number of challenges so if Victoria had quit so late into the challenge, the producers' options were (1) make this a non-elimination week or (2) eliminate someone this week and then bring Shavi back next week.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The season already has a set number of challenges so if Victoria had quit so late into the challenge, the producers' options were (1) make this a non-elimination week or (2) eliminate someone this week and then bring Shavi back next week.

Or eliminate Christian's "save".

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Chelsea showed more grace in losing than Victoria has shown in the whole fucking competition.

AMEN! I'm gonna miss her and her statement eyewear. I cannot believe they kicked her off for Victoria who's been making the same dress for the past umpteenth challenges but I knew it was gonna happen. The producers gotta amp up the drama factor.

Does anybody know what exactly is wrong with Daeyoung? Poor Jeffrey, taking the blame. So not your fault sweetie. He's a doll.

What does an "editorial" look even mean? I've never really understood it.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, hookedontv said:

OK, this made me cackle out loud. And I stand by my original statement, there's no way Victoria didn't know what sheer was. Even if by some stretch of imagination she didn't know it when the challenge was announced, it was explained, the type of fabric was pointed out.

And, if I was in a competition where $250K (and all the other prizes they repeat over and over again and I tune them out) was at stake, I'd damn sure be asking for clarification. 

I can't believe the judges coddled her like they did. 

When Karlie was explaining the challenge, I’m sure I heard Victoria say she didn’t know what sheer meant and someone - maybe Geoffrey - leaned over and said “See-through.” I may go back and double-check but right now I’m so annoyed with Victoria that I don’t feel like seeing her right now. 

I will miss Chelsy. 

ETA: Whoops, sorry, I just realized @ElectricBoogaloo and @AZChristianalready posted this. I’m glad I don’t have to rewatch! 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 8

I guess I am the only one who like Marquis look? I would have put him as safe and Delvin in the top but once the top/bottom 3 were chosen I never thought for a second he'd be in the bottom. 

Since I'm in Canada that clip someone posted won't play. Anyone care to summarize? Were they dissing this week's look? Poor Nancy. She's not my favorite designer but she seems like a really nice person. Someone who would not gossip about how awful someone else's design is. I think she's really dealing with some ageism here. 

• Love 11
13 hours ago, PDXlulu said:

Does anyone else hate Brittany?  She is many of the things we complain about when we discuss Sergio.  She has an inflated ego, she is dismissive of others' talent, and she has the personality of a pancake.

I am ready for both Brittany and Victoria to clean up their work spaces and leave.

I don't hate her but I did notice how she was surprised that Marquise was in the top.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Jsage said:

I agree she can't deal with criticism but if this competition is part of pursuing her dream, she's certainly not putting everything on the line. If so, she would embrace each challenge instead of stubbornly refusing and doing the same tired look every time. 

She may not be spoiled as far as her life experiences, but she is spoiled in the sense that she expects all attention to be on her and she expects everyone to bend to her opinion, ignoring all others.

And her attitude toward Christian and, at times, the other designers seems quite bitchy to me.

We're all entitled to our opinions but I find Victoria to be manipulative and unreasonable and her negativity affects everyone around her.

This a thousand times. Spot on. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I believe Chelsy should have stuck with her original garment - maybe taken some of the ruffles off to give more of a sheer illusion but I think if she had sent that down the runway she would have at least been kept over Victoria, although I agree that the judges seem to love Victoria (or maybe the producers do) so it is going to be hard to get rid of her.  I didn't like Geoffrey's garment at all but that man has the most gorgeous eyelashes!

Chelsey's original garment reminded me of this dress worn by Rihanna.  I'm a big Rih fan so I knnnnneewwwwww it reminded me of something!

Molly Goddard‘s bright blue Rio dress from the Fall/Winter 2017 collection.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/red-carpet-dresses/a12826302/rihanna-blue-ball-gown-sneakers/

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 1.08.39 PM.png

• Useful 5
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

What does an "editorial" look even mean? I've never really understood it.

Nina Garcia started using this descriptor almost every episode when judging as she is the head of Marie Claire.

Basically, an outfit that she would put in her magazine.  An editorial is what they call those photographer stories with models that you see in fashion magazines.  

I think what she's trying to say about it is it would leap off the page.  Bold colours, lots of volume, something a little larger than life.  Black/white/grey outfits don't pop off the page that much unless they're VERY extreme.  When you comb through a fashion magazine, you want fantasy.  You want to say "Oh my god, I want to look like that" or "I want to buy that".  Anything boring is not editorial.

That's my two cents on what they mean by editorial.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 8
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

I’m no prude but I’m sick of male designers calling breasts titties. 

Thank you!  I don't like it when women say it either, but that was really inappropriate imo.

3 hours ago, Wouldofshouldof said:

This! Before I read that last line I was thinking, Just like Vanna White when she took over for Pat recently. She never sounded natural while she was talking to the contestants, always like she was "announcing."

Oh man, that was painful.  I couldn't watch after about the 3rd night.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Thank you!  I don't like it when women say it either, but that was really inappropriate imo.

Oh man, that was painful.  I couldn't watch after about the 3rd night.

To be honest, I don’t think I’ve heard women designers use that word, unless my ears are automatically censoring it!  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Rhetorica said:

I like Sergio. I think he is sincere when he offers help to others. Yes, he does have a great deal of self confidence, which doesn't mean he's wrong about his creations. 

Self confidence? That's just raw arrogance, inflated ego and self absorption.

• Love 8

I was trying to find more references to what Chelsey's original design could have reminded me of.  I found some other examples

Bjork

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 1.57.59 PM.png

Unsure who made this:

5d24c9421280dbbfe84749a41d47cd03.jpg

This is kind of like what her second outfit was attempting

c991ea5b686a3ae1e6a569e6d6d58961.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Ashforth said:
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Honestly I was kind of shocked and disappointed that EVERYONE left the workroom to follow Victoria and beg her to stay (especially considering that barely anyone stopped working last week when Dayoung was sick). Like do you all care that much whether or not she quits? Enough to stop working on your garments during a one day challenge?!

I thought that was bizarre and it just screams fake, Fake, FAKE! Why in the world would these competitors burn what appeared to be at least 15 minutes of a one day challenge desperately pleading with the whiny diva judges'-darling-despite-making-the-same-garment-for-every-challenge, who is likely to ultimately beat all of them with her one-dress collection, not to leave the competition?

Surely the producers stopped the clock to put on that shitshow.

Especially when there are obviously medics either onset or a quick 911 call away. Compassion is a wonderful thing, indeed, however it didn't look like any of the other designers could actually help the poor woman, beyond holding her hand and offering words of comfort. While that really is a nice thing to do....aside from some warm and fuzzy moments what did it accomplish?

• Love 3

Did Victoria have her own shop in Moldova?  There was a photo of a shop.  Can’t remember if she was in the photo.  She said her husband was an investor, so I wonder if he/others set her up in a shop.  If she’s always had her own shop, might be why she can’t take criticism and thinks she’s so great.  Just wondering.

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 10

I don't get the Delvin love. Sure, he's hot, but...he's kind of a jerk. In fact, he bugs me more than Sergio.

Marquise had some attitude coming back as well, and his garment was not good.

I really liked Geoffrey's look. 80s in the best way. I liked Brittany's also.

Sergio deserved the win. Lovely dress and it did look very well-made.

No way they were going to eliminate Victoria. Her dress was not good but it wasn't a travesty.

Chelsey deserved to go, her look was awful.

• Love 9

Victoria really showed her immaturity in this episode. From losing her shit and essentially saying "I'll quit before I let them eliminate me" to giving Christian the cold shoulder because he dared call her out. She cannot go home soon enough.

I'm so sad they eliminated Chelsey. I was rooting for her. She seemed to have a lot of good ideas and she always committed to the challenge. At this point I'm rooting for Marquis. I think he would probably benefit the most from the CFDA internship. He has a lot of talent but I think, because he's self-taught, he's missing some things that could take him to the next level.

• Love 17
15 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

if she is eliminated before the final Christian will save her.  Actually, that's what I thought would happen tonight.  Ugh, can't stand the phony drama queen.  I would have sent her home regardless just because she threatened to quit

If Christian actually has a say in his save, there's no way he's going to use it on Victoria.  He doesn't seem to like her very much, justifiably so!

12 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Right one won. To me, that was clearly the best garment on the runway, though I didn't like the fringe. Of course, I never like fringe, so... Victoria should've gone, but I'm not hating on Chelsey going. That design was janky on every level.

If Victoria didn't know what "sheer" meant, it would've been so easy for her to just ask Christian. The judges should've called her out on that.  Part of me wonders if she wanted to not know what sheer is so could just go ahead and design what she always does and/or cry "Woe is me!" if she was in the bottom.  "Life is cruel," y'all!

Yes, she was trying to have an argument ready in her back pocket so she could actually do whatever she wanted.

8 hours ago, DEL901 said:

One of the things I hate the most about Victoria’s whining  about being in the bottom is that she is whining to people who have been in the bottom, sometimes more than once.   Oh, boo hoo, Victoria.  Why is it such a tragedy for you to be in the bottom, but not for the other designers.  

This!  Just shows how entitled she is that, in her mind, no one else could possibly know what it feels like to be her.  

• Love 18
14 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

She will be in the finale, I’d bet on it.

Unfortunately, odds are in this favor. Is it the Moldavian Mystique? Ha, more like the Producers' Puttering. I'm old enough to remember contestants being booted for the same-old, same-old every week. UNLESS the judges really liked that look--or that character fed the faux drama. 

As for Nina, it's entirely possible she doesn't watch the show, so wouldn't know what was going on anywhere but in front of her. Although, her people should be protecting her from bad Nina Brand shenanigans.

• Love 3

I am praying Victoria ignores the challenge again - third time - next week so the judges will finally auf her.  You could see they're tired of her excuses and aren't buying her lies.  This week it was her language barrier kept her from understanding sheer.  Last week it was claiming she is sooooo inspired by Ashley Longshore's art and she stopped working on her garment hours in advance because it was already perfect.  The week before it was the stupid song & dance about Moldovian women always being dressed up.  She ignores Christian's advice and she's a blatant kiss ass to the judges & guest judges.  And worst of all, her attitude sucks.  

• Love 23
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This is a reality show/producer thing. There have been contestants on other shows that said if they didn't make enough noise/fawn over the host (and sometimes the guest judges) on various competitive reality shows, they would stop filming, tell the contestants to be more enthusiastic, and refilm the entrance.

This is one of the cringiest fake things about reality shows that always makes me laugh. No matter how obscure the guest, there is always at least one contestant who, in a talking head, squeals over said guest to an embarrassing degree. Sure, sometimes they may genuinely be a fan, but other times... come on. 

5 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

During the Victoria intervention, it seemed to me that Delvin had gone away inside, mentally. He was being forced to stand there by the producers, but he wasn't going to say anything, do anything or look enthused. He has zero fake acting chops and no time for that crap.

Ha. I didn’t notice this, but that sounds perfectly right.  I would also decline an invitation to Victoria’s pity party.

He is a little needy, but I think I love Geoffrey.  But as his new BFF, I would feel compelled to advise him to reconsider the plug earrings.  Hate those things.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

I'm so sad they eliminated Chelsey. I was rooting for her. She seemed to have a lot of good ideas and she always committed to the challenge.

This was especially sad hearing her backstory and also her comments during the "Let's convince Victoria to stay" pow wow.  Like she said, all the designers are exhausted and creatively depleted due to the stress of the competition.  I'm sure all of them get their feelings hurt when their looks aren't well received, but they keep going anyway.  As someone previously mentioned, it's really sad that they chose to keep the (almost) quitter who can't seem to meet the challenges in lieu of a designer who felt blessed to be there and always handled the tough times with grace.

• Love 22
18 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

I’m telling y’all again...Victoria is this year’s Hester Sunshine.  The viewers don’t like her, but the judges find something so wonderful about her that it doesn’t matter what she sends down the  runway.  She will be in the finale, I’d bet on it.

That's what I said a few weeks ago.

15 hours ago, MadLove said:

No need to be sorry. My laptop is sometimes very testy on the Bravo website. I think it may be trying to tell me something 😂

Already dealt with.

7 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I thought that was bizarre and it just screams fake, Fake, FAKE! Why in the world would these competitors burn what appeared to be at least 15 minutes of a one day challenge desperately pleading with the whiny diva judges'-darling-despite-making-the-same-garment-for-every-challenge, who is likely to ultimately beat all of them with her one-dress collection, not to leave the competition?

Surely the producers stopped the clock to put on that shitshow.

I certainly hope that none of the designers lost time if they were forced to huddle around Victoria and give her hair pats. Ugh. She may have come from a poor country, but she's had the boost of being a "pretty girl," and I'm sure she's played that to her advantage. Anyone remember Orly Tait??? She was from Moldova, too. Jus' saying.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, carrps said:

Anyone remember Orly Tait??? She was from Moldova, too. Jus' saying.

Orly (Taitz) was a parent of an incoming freshman at the same time our daughter was at the same school. We saw her there at the various receptions-- she looked just as wacky as you might imagine. Not such a "beautiful woman" LOL 🙂

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Samwise979 said:

I had to laugh when Victoria's voice over said something like, I can't even look at it. It's completely not my esthetic (re: her runway look) because.... Isn't it exactly her esthetic? Poorly made yes. But same cut out top and asymmetrical skirt. (She knows the word esthetic but not the word sheer).

How bout that?  Turkey breast isn't exactly my aesthetic but the husband likes it so much that I cook it anyway.  Sometimes you just do what you gotta do!

Damn it, after watching that video I'm kinda liking Sergio. 

I heard Brittany's reasoning, and I don't really believe it.

Yup - the things we tell ourselves to get thru the day.  

I am praying that the next show opens up with Christian saying 'oh I thought about it and here's my save' and in walks Chelsy.  That would make my season.   

• Love 13
1 hour ago, watch2much said:

Am I the only one that thought it was odd that Dayoung got sick right after she got the last available model. The one everyone else passed by? 

I thought it was interesting that this meant that returning Maquis (sp?) got the least favored model. Guess that's "appropriate" but it's kind of amusing that it worked out that way.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Honestly I was kind of shocked and disappointed that EVERYONE left the workroom to follow Victoria and beg her to stay (especially considering that barely anyone stopped working last week when Dayoung was sick). Like do you all care that much whether or not she quits? Enough to stop working on your garments during a one day challenge?!

Yeah, it's a competition, why waste time coddling another contestant? Save it for the apartment or whatever. This had to be producer intervention, several designers certainly didn't sound like they were doing it out of kindness/ care for Victoria.

I wish production handled it differently but they prefer drama, shouting & tears.

• Love 7

I find Sergio incredibly sweet, in between episodes of being a pompous ass. He lit up so sweetly at finally getting some more recognition on the runway - but that was a hideous frock.

Lat night was upside-down in its judging. I agreed with bitchy Brittany - absolutely flabbergasted that Marquise's hideous flung-together-looking frumpy concoction was not in the bottom three. I took one look at it coming down the runway and thought, oh well, back out you go.

Never warmed to Cheslea, but thought it was a shame Christian over-directed her blue garment. What she had before his critique was a lot better than what she sent down the runway - but what she sent down the runway had more charm and technique surely than Marquise's thing.

Nancy's prom dress was tacky, and very familiar. It was just bizarroworld all round.

I don't like Delvin much, but I'd have put his, Brittany's, and Geoffrey's in the top three.

I am glad Victoria stayed. I love a pouting little drama queen! I find her utterly enchanting, and even though her designs are not my style I appreciate the craftmanship - and she has a clear aesthetic, even if it makes her rather rigid in these challenges.

Sad Dayoung left. There are very few left to root for this season. Some serious taste issues, and no clear frontrunner for me, like Sebastien Grey last season. I was expecting Victoria to be in the final three, but secretly hoping Dayoung would be the dark horse... 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

The most impressive thing about Chelsea last night was that she didn't blame Christian for her failure.  She could have said that Christian talked her into changing her design which lost her a lot of time.  But Chelsea is a grown ass woman.  She took Christian's direction, even though she didn't agree with it, and changed her design.  And when it didn't turn out as well as I think her original idea would have, she took responsibility for what she created.

In comparison, Victoria basically ignored Christian and pretended that she didn't know what 'sheer' meant'.  What total and utter bullshit!  She claims to be a designer and she doesn't know what SHEER means?  I liked the fact that Christian FINALLY took her aside for a 'come to Jesus' moment.  But the fawning and coddling she received from the judges was vomit inducing.  It makes me question their 'taste level'.  We know that Victoria can do ONE thing well.  But it's clear that's the ONLY thing she can do well because whenever she's forced to try something different it's a mess.

Do the producers think that Victoria is interesting and makes for good TV?  They need to actually watch this show because there are people much more interesting (and more TALENTED) than her in the cast. The show won't suffer if she leaves.

I know she didn't HAVE to take Christian's advice but he really convinced her she should start over.  I think he should have used his save - his reasoning being that they didn't really see Chelsea's dress - they saw what she thought Christian wanted.  I really think that should be the only reason for a mentor to use a save - they fear they've "over-mentored."  Otherwise, is he REALLY supposed to say he has better fashion insights than ALL the judges.  We may all quibble about ranking (and which one really should have won or been eliminated) but I can't remember a single time when a designer was eliminated and there was a huge outcry that THIS look was an overwhelming favorite with PERFECT construction.  People generally just say that another designer's look was worse - not that the eliminated designer's look was wonderful.

Edited by DaphneCat
Wasn't very clear what "it" was.
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

I especially loved Christian this week. He tried and tried with Victoria, but Special Snowflake was not having it.  Has she never received criticism in such a cutthroat biz??

Victoria's behavior reminds me more and more of my nephew who got furious with me when he lost a game we were playing.

We were playing Sorry! and he was four.

17 hours ago, Callaphera said:

I was not feeling the fringe at pube level from Sergio's dress.

Sergio was serenading his model before the runway:

🎶 "Justified will be my ego and hubris

When I send you bare in the pubis,

When I send you bare in the pubis

with the fringe on top!

Watch my fringe and see how it flutters

When you’re workin’ your high steppin' strutters.

Judgey judges'll score on their scorecards and I’ll come out on top!" 🎶

10 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Was I the only one who heavily eye-rolled Nina for gushing over Marquise's T-shirt? 

Nope! Nina is now an official member of The Hester Sunshine Gang that forces designers to start designing and styling themselves as accessories for their own models. In the event of a truly heinous design, they can be charged as an accessory after the fact of their crime against fashion.

6 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Victoria's was poorly constructed and had her typical design elements, but the model did look incredible in the color...Christian suggested that Chelsey remove some of the ruffles to make it more sheer. Instead Chelsey made a sheer pool cover. Ugh. It was terrible and clearly the worst thing that walked down the runway.

See, I think that's where there's inescapable subjectivity. I thought Victoria's model looked wretched in that yellow and that it pulled and puckered in multiple places, making her model's curves look unattractive. Looking at her having to be in that mess made me physically uncomfortable. Overall, a design that disregarded the challenge concept, executed poorly.

Whereas Chelsey's powder blue fabric looked quite nice on her model and she had a plausible explanation for why the design on the runway was so lacking: the sheer pencil skirt had a poor fit so she made a judgement call to not send it down. A bad call, as it turned out, but it tracked as a reasonable choice. Overall, a design idea that adhered to the challenge concept, executed poorly.

All of which seemed to highlight a central flaw in PR itself: They're marketing it as a competition for up-and-coming designers, not established brands looking for a backer, yet they largely disregard strengths like maturity in presentation, ability to listen, etc. that are part of industry success. Especially before you "make it" and can act out all you want.

Meaning: Their initial lines at Fashion Week are investments, yes, but the real investment is the designer, the person. Now, who - as a designer - would you invest in? An immature (not talking about years), can't-handle-feedback, blames-others designer who falls apart when assigned to design something new to them? Or a mature, acts-on-feedback-gracefully, receptive-to-learning designer who calmly pivots to trying an unfamiliar design?

Chelsey's design sucked. But clearly she's the designer to invest in.

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Did Victoria have her own shop in Moldova?  There was a photo of a shop.  Can’t remember if she was in the photo.  She said her husband was an investor, so I wonder if he/others set her up in a shop.  If she’s always had her own shop, might be why she can’t take criticism and thinks she’s so great.

The minute I heard Victoria's husband was her investor, I yelled, "THAT'S IT!" It explained the combination of her hyper-narrow design range, arrogance, and reports of constant and uninterrupted commercial success. SHE'S NEVER COMPETED AS A DESIGNER BEFORE.

• Love 17