Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E08: Sheer Genius

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Marmiarmo said:

I’m telling y’all again...Victoria is this year’s Hester Sunshine.  The viewers don’t like her, but the judges find something so wonderful about her that it doesn’t matter what she sends down the  runway.  She will be in the finale, I’d bet on it.

I liked Hester. Not all of her stuff, but there was something  refreshingly quirky/ offbeat about her overall style that appealed to me. And while she had a specific aesthetic, her looks were individual and different.  Unlike Victoria, who does the same damn thing week... after week... after week.  Not a valid comparison, IMO.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

Delvin made my favorite look. Of course it was judged to be only middling.

Nancy’s was nice, except I have an automatic aversion to that kind of poofy shoulder wrap thing, so I discounted it based on that alone.

Sergio annoys the crap out of me, so I kind of hate it when he actually makes a nice looking dress, as he did tonight... except, I thought the fringes looked like an afterthought and pasted on rather than organic. Still better than most of the other looks, though.  But of course he had to ruin it with an elaborate, unnecessary backstory. And where was the political commentary? It can’t be good if it isn’t also saving the world, somehow.  He has made that very clear.

And Victoria... What is left to say about the petulant diva? Her dress was awful, it was the same as always but more poorly constructed, but it was yellow! YELLOW, y’all. Apparently that’s enough.  When in doubt, cry and pout, then send any piece of meringue-colored rubbish down the runway and Nina will save your melodramatic ass.

This show.

• LOL 6
  • Love 18
20 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I like Marquise as a person but I thought his outfit was a disaster.  It was like a horrific version of Nancy's.

I like Geoffrey very much and I liked his outfit too.

Agreed. I would have put Geoffrey on top & Marquise on the bottom.

I know everyone wanted Victoria to go but I honestly thought Chelsey's garment was worse. The 'bralette' she put on her model was really unflattering. So was the spandex slip. Maybe keeping the too tight organza skirt and splitting the side seams to keep it from riding up would have looked better. During the judging her model looked really uncomfortable. Somehow, Victoria's garment was more flattering to her model's body even though it was too tight and poorly sewn.

Victoria's biggest problem is she can't deal with criticism. I don't think she's a 'spoiled bitch.' She's someone who put everything on the line to pursue her dream in a foreign country and probably feels immense pressure to succeed for herself & her family. She seems to view criticism as failure on her part. Of course, that attitude isn't going to get her far in this business. 

I actually found myself rolling my eyes more at Britney. She made Victoria wanting to quit about herself, she's often snarky about the other designers, and is overconfident about her own work. 

Overall, I'm finding this season kind of meh. I've liked a handful of designs but find the designers to be inconsistent. I have no favourite, unlike last year where I was rooting for Sebastian early on. I don't dislike any of the designers to Hester Sunshine-like levels either. I hope the upcoming challenges really inspire these designers to step up.

• Love 20

Ugh. Sergio is no longer the worst. I have placed Victoria in that spot. I KNEW they wouldn't send her home. I literally said to myself, if they send Victoria home you can go out tomorrow and buy yourself a new top.

I had to laugh when Victoria's voice over said something like, I can't even look at it. It's completely not my esthetic (re: her runway look) because.... Isn't it exactly her esthetic? Poorly made yes. But same cut out top and asymmetrical skirt. (She knows the word esthetic but not the word sheer).

LOVED Christian's "let's have some real talk" to Victoria. Ha! 

3 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

^^^ I somehow quoted myself and don't know how to get rid of the box 🤦🤷

Edited by Samwise979
  • LOL 3
  • Love 20
5 minutes ago, MadLove said:

Would be nice if there was some sound with that video 🙄

You have to hit the volume button on the video. All of the videos start on Bravotv.com on mute.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, nb360 said:

You have to hit the volume button on the video. All of the videos start on Bravotv.com on mute.

There was no volume button. I'm actually not that dumb, but thanks for the advice 🤣

• LOL 1

Right one won. To me, that was clearly the best garment on the runway, though I didn't like the fringe. Of course, I never like fringe, so... Victoria should've gone, but I'm not hating on Chelsey going. That design was janky on every level.

If Victoria didn't know what "sheer" meant, it would've been so easy for her to just ask Christian. The judges should've called her out on that.  Part of me wonders if she wanted to not know what sheer is so could just go ahead and design what she always does and/or cry "Woe is me!" if she was in the bottom.  "Life is cruel," y'all!

Sergio/Brittany/Delvin - I get the criticisms for all of them. They're all overly confident in their abilities. Sergio is pretentious. Brittany is a phony and two-faced. Delvin is... Delvin. But, of the lot of them, I can tolerate Sergio the best. I think he is genuinely kind when he offers help to other designers, like Nancy this week (and in that clip posted) and Dayoung in a previous week. Brittany and Delvin, particularly Delvin, are not kind. Plus, I think Sergio has the goods as a designer. I'm not sold on the other two, yet, in that regard.

I'm sorry to see Dayoung leave, but, while I understand it from the production viewpoint, there was no need to bring back Marquise, IMO. His design in the top? Whoa to the nth degree, no. All of his designs have been somewhere on the scale from forgettable to bad. Honestly, the only designer this season I think will be worthy of the Christian save, should it come to that, is Sergio. Everyone else is weak sauce.  I'd throw out the lot of them to have any number of the losers from last season back for another chance.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, MadLove said:

Would be nice if there was some sound with that video 🙄

I had to keep tapping the video because initially there was no volume button. Eventually one appeared below the image, center screen. I had to tap and hold that a sec to make it work! Weird. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

As we've noted, for whatever reasons in her little brain, Victoria didn't at all work within the terms ofThe Challenge, and the same judges who have so often reduced the grade of a garment because it did not, just did not mention it at all.  And as you all said, how difficult to ask another designer "What means this 'sheer'??" or ask Christian at Mood, &c &c.  Less than no excuse.  

Further what she did create used that Thing many of them are doing this year, the hem that is 1/3 mini-skirt and 2/3 knee-length or longer.  REEEally ??  Such a cliche' by now.    Given how dumb it looked, I think we all groaned when Nina's first comment was how nice that it was yellow.  

Edited by Chippings
grammar
  • Love 17
6 hours ago, nb360 said:

6 hours ago, nb360 said:

I wish she and Delvin did not say some of things they said while the top/low designers were on the runway.

Yes! Really Mean Girls of Brittany the Fake Eye Lash Queen and Delvin. Kind of have a love-hate with Sergio. Think he is talented and confident, but arrogant. Notice how we never see him saying bye to offed designer or Da'Young in this episode? Either he doesn't or the editing monkeys are pushing the villain story. Kind think it's the latter. Totes shenanigans on Victoria not knowing what sheer is.

• Love 6

I preferred Chelsea's over the looks from both Marquise and Victoria.  Victoria's garment had absolutely zero relationship to the challenge, so it's difficult to justify her continued presence in the competition as anything other than "made for TV".  Marquise's look was horribly cheapened by the fabric choice imo.  Was I the only one who heavily eye-rolled Nina for gushing over Marquise's T-shirt?  Don't several designers construct garments for themselves to tie in with their look, every week and have for several seasons?  wtf Nina  

Sergio's dress was stunning, fringe and all.

Delvin's look was a little better in theory than it was on the model, but was appropriate as "safe".  I actually thought Brittany's look was a 2nd place finisher.  I didn't hate Nancy's, but don't think it was deserving of all of the judge love.

I believe Geoffrey should drop to his knees and pray to the Moldovian ear gauge Gods for not being auf'd.  

On my island:

1. Sergio
  2. Brittany
  3. Tie:  Delvin/Nancy/Chelsea
  4. Marquise
  5. Geoffrey
  6. Dayoung
  7. Victoria

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

So  for the second week in a row, Victoria's "design" does not meet the challenge criteria, and yet, someone else goes home.  Enough of her already!   Karlie explained very adequately what "sheer" meant, and as others have pointed out, Christian is there to answer any questions they may have.   (Even he's fed up with her by now, though).  I wish the rest of the designers told her not to let the door hit her when when she left....

Thought for sure Marquise would be at the bottom - that looked like one hot mess to me, especially  next to Sergio's design which appeared to be flawless, along with (I forget her name) the other design at the top.   At the very least, he should have been safe, with either Brittany or Devlin in the top 3.  

Brittany and Devlin can offer commentary on the top and bottom 3 every week.  I liked listening to their comments.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I liked Hester. Not all of her stuff, but there was something  refreshingly quirky/ offbeat about her overall style that appealed to me. And while she had a specific aesthetic, her looks were individual and different.  Unlike Victoria, who does the same damn thing week... after week... after week.  Not a valid comparison, IMO.

I personally vastly prefer Victoria's looks over Hester's.  I don't actually like Victoria though.

I think it's a valid comparison because the judges are obsessed with both, while a lot of the audience is like ?

8 hours ago, raeb23 said:

I actually found myself rolling my eyes more at Britney. She made Victoria wanting to quit about herself, she's often snarky about the other designers, and is overconfident about her own work. 

Brittany complains a lot.  Nothing is ever fair.  Blah blah.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I noticed Victoria is very dismissive of Christian when comes into the workroom. I’m tired of her moody genius act and her throwing a fit if she isn’t the top. 

It's very grade school!

7 hours ago, Fellaway said:

I'm sorry to see Dayoung leave, but, while I understand it from the production viewpoint, there was no need to bring back Marquise, IMO. His design in the top? Whoa to the nth degree, no

True.  He's out of his depth at this point.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Honestly I was kind of shocked and disappointed that EVERYONE left the workroom to follow Victoria and beg her to stay (especially considering that barely anyone stopped working last week when Dayoung was sick). Like do you all care that much whether or not she quits? Enough to stop working on your garments during a one day challenge?!

Brittany is so miserable and fake, always begging the designers to stay and then bitching about them later in the workroom.

I feel like Nancy is totally genuine, and Geoffrey too.

Delvin is the only one who realizes this is a competition and wants to win.  He doesn't care about begging his competition to stay, and he isn't fake.  He likes who he likes that's it.  He may have been joining in with Brittany's bitching, but he was just saying who he thinks was on the bottom or the top.  I don't think he was rude.  He basically does that to fill the air, because that's what Brittany likes to do.  

• Love 24
2 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I thought that was bizarre and it just screams fake, Fake, FAKE! Why in the world would these competitors burn what appeared to be at least 15 minutes of a one day challenge desperately pleading with the whiny diva judges'-darling-despite-making-the-same-garment-for-every-challenge, who is likely to ultimately beat all of them with her one-dress collection, not to leave the competition?

Totally.  I was yelling "Why are ALL of you wasting time on this?  Let her leave!"

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Brittany is so miserable and fake, always begging the designers to stay and then bitching about them later in the workroom.

I feel like Nancy is totally genuine, and Geoffrey too.

Delvin is the only one who realizes this is a competition and wants to win.  He doesn't care about begging his competition to stay, and he isn't fake.  He likes who he likes that's it.  He may have been joining in with Brittany's bitching, but he was just saying who he thinks was on the bottom or the top.  I don't think he was rude.  He basically does that to fill the air, because that's what Brittany likes to do.  

Brittany's reasoning for wanting Victoria to stay had nothing to do with liking Victoria - her reason is selfish.  Brittany feels that she is the "best", so only wants who she perceives to be the "best" to compete against.  She is very much like Sergio in that regard, where she thinks she is above or better than most of the other designers there.  Granted, she is good, but she's not as great as she thinks.  And, I hate when people are fake-nice to others that they perceive to be beneath or less than they are.  I get that vibe from both Brittany and Sergio.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Did someone drop Karly Kloss on her head when she was a child?

Hahaha. Karlie has such a weird way of speaking. Everything Karlie says, to me, sounds like she's announcing something versus just talking/saying her lines. And she has these weird hand gestures, again, like she's announcing. 

Karlie may be confusing herself with Vanna White. 

6 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Christian, if you were to found a cult, I might just join.

Me too, I'd totally join. I would love to go out for drinks with Christian and just let the banter flow. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

“Toooooo tally deefrent dress.”

This was what was crazy to me.  Does she really not see that the sketch was EXACTLY the same design she's made every week?  I was expecting the usual "but this is what I do and I stand by it" excuse that we usually get.

I was glad that Marquise at least seem to like the poor model who was picked last.  I guess we don't know if the models were behind that sheer screen during the actual selections but it sure was edited to seem like they heard the selection process.

I like Marquise as a person but none of his designs have been that impressive.  The show has always (I think?) brought back the last eliminated designer whenever there is an unexpected exit though, so I don't know why it was cut as a cliffhanger as to who would be brought back. 

• Love 21
19 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Brittany's reasoning for wanting Victoria to stay had nothing to do with liking Victoria - her reason is selfish.  Brittany feels that she is the "best", so only wants who she perceives to be the "best" to compete against.  She is very much like Sergio in that regard, where she thinks she is above or better than most of the other designers there.  Granted, she is good, but she's not as great as she thinks.  And, I hate when people are fake-nice to others that they perceive to be beneath or less than they are.  I get that vibe from both Brittany and Sergio.

I heard Brittany's reasoning, and I don't really believe it.

• Love 7

I personally thought Delvin's outfit should have won this week.  I thought it was stunning when it came down the runway.  I also liked Brittany's outfit - I was surprised Marquise's outfit was judged in the top 3.  I thought Sergio's outfit was actually quite beautiful (best he has made this season) but I didn't understand why he added the fringe - it didn't seem necessary and added nothing to the garment.

I believe Chelsy should have stuck with her original garment - maybe taken some of the ruffles off to give more of a sheer illusion but I think if she had sent that down the runway she would have at least been kept over Victoria, although I agree that the judges seem to love Victoria (or maybe the producers do) so it is going to be hard to get rid of her.  I didn't like Geoffrey's garment at all but that man has the most gorgeous eyelashes!

I'm kind of a snarky person so I actually don't mind Brittany's comments.  Plus I am fascinated by how she manages to keep her eyes open with such heavy fake eyelashes - I have trouble with mine feeling heavy if I wear two coats of mascara!

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
37 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

Hahaha. Karlie has such a weird way of speaking. Everything Karlie says, to me, sounds like she's announcing something versus just talking/saying her lines. And she has these weird hand gestures, again, like she's announcing.

Karlie may be confusing herself with Vanna White. 

This! Before I read that last line I was thinking, Just like Vanna White when she took over for Pat recently. She never sounded natural while she was talking to the contestants, always like she was "announcing."

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I was wondering that if Victoria actually did walk out and quit, would they have brought back Shavi, who was eliminated in the challenge before Marquise to replace someone who quit?  I don't know if we've ever seen that.  Also, has there ever been anyone who just quit like that?  I'm thinking there was one guy, several seasons ago, who walked out?  (The only thing I remember is that he took a ton of smoking breaks and was pretty rude to Tim Gunn?)

I also remember there was another designer - Helen (?) - who, for some reason, they kept on and she was one of the top three.  She, much like Victoria, had these emotional breakdowns and threatened to quit, although it seemed like she cried almost every single week.  She, much like Victoria, used the same design week after week - crop top and pencil skirt.  She, much like Victoria, was coddled by the judges and praised for her work. 

So, I guess we'll see where this goes.

• Love 7

Victoria has a loathsome personality, but Chelsey's garment was ass. Victoria's was poorly constructed and had her typical design elements, but the model did look incredible in the color. The material itself though, as Christian said, WORST EVER. Had that dress been made with a material that had more weight to it, I would have really liked it. Typical Victoria, but good design.

Christian suggested that Chelsey remove some of the ruffles to make it more sheer. Instead Chelsey made a sheer pool cover. Ugh. It was terrible and clearly the worst thing that walked down the runway.

I didn't mind the Brittany and Delvin snark. They are there to win a competition, and discussing winning and losing looks and guessing what the judges think is part of that. 

I have liked some of Nancy's designs but I cannot stand Nancy. She clearly comes from a corporate world and was one of those people who enjoyed corporate retreats.. *shudder* I'd want to strangle her ten minutes into a conversation. And it has nothing at all to do with her age. I can see how she and Sergio get along. He designs for older women, although his 40 is actually 60, and Nancy is a bit over 60.

During the Victoria intervention, it seemed to me that Delvin had gone away inside, mentally. He was being forced to stand there by the producers, but he wasn't going to say anything, do anything or look enthused. He has zero fake acting chops and no time for that crap.

Marquise's garment was a good idea, poorly done. It looked like a hot mess. Geoffrey's look would have been good had it just been "less." Less volume in the sheer, a smaller cowl, a thinner belt. Sergio's was beautifully made, but that fringe placement sucked.

• Love 16

Like everyone else, I could not believe that the other designers gave Victoria the time of day to beg her to stay. Just GO! I don't want to hear your whining!

And in the beginning, I noticed a quote from the diva: "I think too much. I know I don’t look like I think too much"

Give me a break girl. So you think you are so beautiful that no one would think you have a brain. Nice way to a) say you know you are beautiful and b) put down beautiful women as stupid.

• Love 15

Victoria is pretty, but she needs to stop with the cat eye.  She doesn't have the eye shape for it.

I am not surprised they kept her; the other design was shit.  

I personally liked Brittany's the best.  I thought it was beautiful.  I thought Sergio's looked old ladyish.  I didn't like Nancy's fabric and definitely thought Marquis was shitty.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

I don’t like Sergio’s personality, but he did produce a beautiful garment. I was surprised that Geoffrey wasn’t in the safe group and Brittany in one of the top looks.  

Sergio is a level above in his mind...….yeah, right.  Look at some of his line, dowdy crap.

I love Geoffrey but hated this outfit and agree that Brittany should have been in the top.

But, I liked Chelsey's, so what do I know.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2