Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: A Hell of a Week: Part Two

• Start Topic

Madison?  I had a feeling from the hair color in bed last week it was her.

All versions of Kevin are cuties. Fresca reminds me of my Grandma, I remember her babysitting me and letting me have some which was a treat because my parents limited the soda we drank.

Cabin road trip with Kevin and Randall.

• Love 20

Well that was unexpected. I was so sure it was going to be Sophie in bed with Kevin and it turns out to be Kate's friend! Yikes.

Sophie's mom was cool, even if she was a bit of a flake. Though when she told Kevin the ring had a story I was all "of course."

I am dreading what's going to happen with Kate and Toby.

• Love 14

Congrats to everyone who called Madison as the woman in bed with Kevin. I actually like Madison, but I’m not sure she’s right for Kevin. I’m not against it though. 

I do hope the Sophie chapter is closed. Just because people have good memories and a love for each other doesn’t mean they belong together. 

Sibling bonding- road trip to the cabin!

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
14 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Oh wow, I had such the opposite reaction 😄

As an early aughts it-girl of sorts. And Jon Hamm’s partner for all those years. We all loved Kissing Jessica Stein. And she did play the part of Sophie’s mom perfectly 😊

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

This episode featured Young Adult Kevin at his least douchey. The episode also made me more of a Sophie and Kevin shipper than I remember. I like Madison. I wonder if Sophie and Kevin meet up and reunite much later in life, a la Rebecca and Miguel.

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 20
7 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

As an early aughts it-girl of sorts. And Jon Hamm’s partner for all those years. We all loved Kissing Jessica Stein. And she did play the part of Sophie’s mom perfectly 😊

Yes, I know who she is.  She's been on "Younger" as well.  Her overdone face really freaks me out and I'm just not a fan of hers as an actor.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Allow me to toot my own horn for this post I made in the thread for the season three finale, almost a year ago. 

I think if that does come to pass, 1) it would be an interesting twist and 2) you better play the lotto. 

Justin had an extra haunted and sad look in his eyes.  So I wonder if this filmed around the time that news of his divorce was hitting the internet.  No matter how good of an actor you are, there are some tiny things you simply can't hide. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11

I am going to have to assume Kevin and Madison had sex, but she may still not be Kevin's baby mama.   I do think the writers are going to drag this out.  The flashforward is August 31, 2020 and the timeline of this episode is January.   Morning sickness does not usually last that far into a pregnancy unless the mother suffers from hyperemesis graverdum.   Kevin still has months in which to find the woman and get her pregnant. 

The bonfire on a school night in winter in Pittsburgh just baffles me.  Plus Jack's outdoor memorial service.   This is such a fail that should never have happened.   Google exists and the writers and production designers should use it.  

• Love 17
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

Kevin wants his 'one for the ages' and I just don't think that's Madison.  Everything about him post-coitus screamed regret. I give the show marks for Sophie not appearing behind him at the grave,  ring in hand, because I was totally waiting for it.  I still think Sophie is end game.

But isn't this more realistic? The idea that he may want something like this, and he knows that it should have been with Sophie, but in the end, it just isn't quite it? And that's ok, in my opinion. Not everyone gets their "one for the ages". 

I think they closed the door on Sophie/Kevin for good. She chose to look forward with her fiance and her new life. Both of them got to reflect on the past and what could have been but, in the end, they just weren't right for each other in his life. It was still heartbreaking, but poignant, nonetheless. They really came full circle with Kevin/Sophie and I truly think this is the best possible ending for them. Sophie's happy with another man, and Kevin can be happy with another woman, and they can still be friends down the line. 

1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am going to have to assume Kevin and Madison had sex, but she may still not be Kevin's baby mama.   I do think the writers are going to drag this out.  The flashforward is August 31, 2020 and the timeline of this episode is January.   Morning sickness does not usually last that far into a pregnancy unless the mother suffers from hyperemesis graverdum.   Kevin still has months in which to find the woman and get her pregnant. 

Perhaps, but I'd think that the show would like to show us how Kevin falls in love with his fiancee, and there's only six episodes left. I'd actually rather see Kevin/Madison grow into where they are in August, rather than having him try to date around until he meets a new woman and rushes into an engagement and baby. I think this kind of makes more sense, especially with where Kevin's been heading. 

• Love 17

Loved this episode!  Sophie's Mother was just great for Kevin(he has always felt over-looked by his own family).  Loved the story about the ring: Kevin had to earn it.  I love Kevin & Sophie together, but I feel like they both know that the past is past & they need to move on...too much hurt between them, altho, as someone above pointed out, Sophie did look at her Grandmother's ring & compared it to her engagement ring & seemed to look doubtful.   Loved the sweet moments with Teen Kevin & Teen Sophie: at the movie, at the campfire, just so sweet & normal.  And all the Kevins: from youngest to oldest are Adorable.  

• Love 20

I do think the Sophie chapter is closed. Alexandra Breckenridge is starring in Virgin River on Netflix. It’s doing well and was renewed. She’s the lead and doing great.  

I liked this episode a lot....Kevin is a more complex character, kid to adult, than the show has explored before.

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

But isn't this more realistic? The idea that he may want something like this, and he knows that it should have been with Sophie, but in the end, it just isn't quite it? And that's ok, in my opinion. Not everyone gets their "one for the ages". 

I think they closed the door on Sophie/Kevin for good. She chose to look forward with her fiance and her new life. Both of them got to reflect on the past and what could have been but, in the end, they just weren't right for each other in his life. It was still heartbreaking, but poignant, nonetheless. They really came full circle with Kevin/Sophie and I truly think this is the best possible ending for them. Sophie's happy with another man, and Kevin can be happy with another woman, and they can still be friends down the line. 

Perhaps, but I'd think that the show would like to show us how Kevin falls in love with his fiancee, and there's only six episodes left. I'd actually rather see Kevin/Madison grow into where they are in August, rather than having him try to date around until he meets a new woman and rushes into an engagement and baby. I think this kind of makes more sense, especially with where Kevin's been heading. 

Didn't Kevin give himself a pretty tight timetable to have a wife and family? He moved very quickly with Hall Pass. People desperate to have children within a partnered relationship can convince themselves that the one they're with right now is the love for the ages. 

We knew Randall went on a date to see Titanic on that Super Bowl Sunday, and now we learn Kevin/Sophie caught Good Will Hunting

I loved that Sophie's mom just called it Days, like a true soap fan.

Edited by Dejana
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14
51 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It reminds me of season 1 or 2 when they were dragging out telling us how Jack died. We all thought they were going to show him dying when he and Rebecca fought, then when he was drinking again.....and it was all a fake out that had nothing to do with his death. They could show Kevin sleeping with a different woman every week and not tell us who is the mother until next season.

I wasn't a fan of Sophie/Kevin before this episode, but now I kind of want them together.

• Love 22

So Kate and baby Jack went to the family retreat, while Toby stayed behind?  Yikes.

I am another who thought they were intending to show us that the Kevin and Sophie chapter is closed now.  To me, K&S finally viewing the ending of Good Will Hunting after all this time, and extinguishing of all the “possible endings” that had been floating between them for years, was the show’s way of trying to tell us that.  

Have we ever figured out why Jack had what appeared to be a graveside service, but was cremated?

Edited by reallyjustjen
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

I tend to enjoy adult Sophie and Kevin scenes/moments, despite objectively thinking Sophie deserves better than him after everything he's done to her. I don't really feel one way or another about them as kids or teens, but I really feel the easy chemistry with the adult actors that makes me kinda root for them regardless.

However, if they do end up together, I would rather her marriage run its course on its own instead of her ruining it for Kevin. I think she's likely to appear in and out as the show goes, but we probably won't see them together until the very end, if then.

I could see Madison being the one that's pregnant and he's engaged to, but not who he ends up with. I can see him trying to force something more serious with her than he really wants when he finds out she's pregnant, even though this whole episode was supposed to be about him learning not to settle.

Edited by colorbars
  • Love 12

😢😢😢 I cried SO MUCH this episode.  Yes, I agree with above posters how Kevin's episodes have been the best so far. I enjoy digging into his psyche more than just the role of "Mr. perfect/blessed/a**hole" child. Loved Sophie's mom being his rock. She was flighty but took that true love/grandma's ring super seriously.

"Zophie" name made a return.  On the fridge when we 1st saw the flashback to Sophie's house in high school, there were kids' letter magnets on the fridge. It spelled out "20phie." Interesting- plus we're seeing this in the year '20. 

Loved the message about "losing something you love but finding something new to love." I'm using that on my kid tomorrow.  She was heartbroken over the loss of something today. 

• Love 19

They showed Sophie is the love of Kevin's life no matter who the mother of his child turns out to be. Kevin wasn't happy about being in bed with Madison, they all said the sad three. I think they picked Madison because she is married to a writer who wants to give his wife a bigger role. 

With Kevin telling Sophie's mom he still wants Sophie and her looking at her grandmother's engagement ring, I think it could still happen for them in the future but I don't think we'll see them together again anytime soon.

• Useful 3
  • Love 14

Toddler Kevin is adorable. 

Jack giving 3(?) year old Kevin a big Jack Pearson speech about his stuffed animals was a little ridiculous to me but I guess he can’t help himself. 

I’m glad Kevin’s baby mama isn’t Sophie. Tonight’s episode gave some nice insight and closure to their relationship but I think it would have been unfair for Kevin to disrupt her life yet again just because he decided he was finally ready to settle down. There’s too much history there and it’s not all good so I think they made the best decision leaving it in the past, hopefully. 

Last week I said I hoped it was Madison in Kevin’s bed but that they’d probably be a train wreck together….still I was pretty happy to see her open Kate’s door. Madison has been a loyal friend to Kate who has stuck by her even though Kate doesn’t always deserve it, so Kevin pointing out that she’s not the one who gets left but rather the one who’s willing to stay actually makes sense with the little bit we know about her character so far.  And Kevin seems to need someone in his corner and I think Madison can be that person for him so I’m kind of excited to see their relationship play out… if this is indeed for real and not a fake out. 

Madison has also been kind of a fan favorite so I wonder if that played into the writers’ choice. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
8 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

Loved the message about "losing something you love but finding something new to love." I'm using that on my kid tomorrow.  She was heartbroken over the loss of something today. 

I think this message and with Kevin/Sophie watching the end of Good Will Hunting, they both said goodbye to that possibility. 

As for Madison, I do like her a lot and always thought whoever wins Kevin's heart would have to be close to Kate. And that's really not the case between Kate and Sophie.

I wonder if Madison does end up being Kevin's fiancee/babymama, but the show won't make her pregnant until Kevin and she actually do fall for another.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, mansfolly said:

And nice of Rebecca to not even watch the "Days" episode...not.

She had a job so she probably couldn't watch soap operas during the day. My guess is she had originally planned to set the VCR, but when Kevin told her his lines had been cut, she decided not to bother. Maybe she thought that no lines would mean no screen time.

I find Jennifer Westfeld annoying, but I thought it was good casting as Sophie's mother, who was supposed to be a bit annoying, or at least that's how I interpreted it.

This only occurred to me after seeing the scene for the second time, but why was the drying rack with Randall's underwear smack in the middle of the living room? She was already living in the new house, and even if it didn't have a laundry room, she could have put the drying rack into a spare bedroom. It's such an eyesore to have it in the living room.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Quiet1 said:

They showed Sophie is the love of Kevin's life no matter who the mother of his child turns out to be. Kevin wasn't happy about being in bed with Madison, they all said the sad three. I think they picked Madison because she is married to a writer who wants to give his wife a bigger role. 

With Kevin telling Sophie's mom he still wants Sophie and her looking at her grandmother's engagement ring, I think it could still happen for them in the future but I don't think we'll see them together again anytime soon.

In the spoiler/speculation thread there's a link to an interview with one of the show's writers about the episode. They say the other writers have wanted to pair Kevin and Madison for a while. However, Dan Fogelman joked (?) on Twitter a couple years ago that he was not putting his wife in a sex scene on TV with Justin Hartley, so they had to work to sell DF on the pairing. I am sure some of this was said in jest, and I doubt it's a trust issue so much as exceedingly awkward for everyone involved given the dynamics at play.

Edited by Dejana
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

This only occurred to me after seeing the scene for the second time, but why was the drying rack with Randall's underwear smack in the middle of the living room? She was already living in the new house, and even if it didn't have a laundry room, she could have put the drying rack into a spare bedroom. It's such an eyesore to have it in the living room.

See... I actually like these touches. A kind of "shout out" to real life mess/  chaos/disorganization that plagues the best of us. I think the undies were likely falling apart as Becca said Randall needs new ones and they wouldn't put them in the dryer then. As for smack in the middle of the livingroom? I can get with it. Maybe it was the warmest room so they dry quicker? Or so he wouldnt leave to go back to school without taking the undies with?

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

I really liked this episode, I am glad to get a Kevin episode, and to get more context on his relationship with Sophie. Little Kevin is so cute! 

I have always been kind of so so on Sophie (didnt dislike her or wasnt a huge fan) but I really enjoyed getting to know her more here, and I found her story here really touching. I did kind of crack up at her mom saying how the ring has a story, because of course it does! Its not just Pearson's, everyone has dramatic family stories and traditions and heirlooms and such! 

I so knew it was going to be Madison and that she and Kevin had a vibe, called it! A part of me thinks that this is a nice cap on the end of Sophie and Kevin's romance and gives them closure so that they can both move on...and the other part hopes that the look Sophie gave the ring means that she ends up proposing with the ring and she is Kevin's future baby mamma! What can I say, I got into them this week. 

• Love 13

I loved the Days reference.  NBC references the show a lot, but I’m also messy and love that both of Justin Hartley’s ex-wives were on Days. Keep it in the family. 

As soon as Kevin left Pittsburgh, I knew it would be Madison in that bed. I think it’s been speculated several times over that she’s the mother, but that feels so easy.  I wouldn’t mind Madison because I like her, but I also want to be surprised. Same with Sophie. I really loved her in this episode but it would be ridiculous for her to go back to Kevin yet again, when he’s let her down so many times before. I feel like she deserves better.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Dejana said:

Really surprised Sophie's mom had the ring after all-she was portrayed as a bit of a flake with money and I wondered if she'd pawned it already.

I thought she was a flake at first too but I also wondered if maybe she knew she was sick by then and figured a big vacation with her daughter would be a better use of her money.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 10

Hmm I must admit that after being so excited for this episode I am actually left a big disappointed (and teary-eyed as always with TIU). I think I had hoped there would be more throwbacks, as that whole aspect of the show is why I love it so much. It was quite annoying to have to watch Kevin and Sophie looking at each other like that for half of the episode and just know they're not going to go anywhere and it's just a teaser. I mean I get it's only a 40 min show, but I just want so much more info on Kevin. As others have said he is my favorite character and I just find him so interesting. Also I miss seeing kid Kevin, he is my fave. 

It was heartbreaking to see how Rebecca reacted to his new career. But on the other hand it's also refreshing seeing good people on TV not always doing the right things. People can't be perfect and as some of you have pointed out there can be reasonable explanations as to why she didn't catch it and/or maybe thought it wasn't a big deal to Kevin. It was so very heartwarming to see Sophie's mom treat him like an only child and throw all that love on him - in that moment you just see how foreign that is to him and how much he actually needed that. We all need to remember we can all be that person for someone we know in our life. Everything counts. 

I'm fine with either Madison or Sophie as Kevin's baby mamma. This dragging out is getting annoying though. 

I'm way excited to finally see what happened to Kate! Maybe the bf did kill himself? I change my mind every episode.. We shall see! 

• Love 9

Good Will Hunting was always a favorite for me and I was glad they had that in. I felt like many that it could have multiple meanings but I do think "gotta see about a girl" and doing what he wanted not what was expected, seemed to lean more toward Sophie. Does she love the guy she is marrying the same way or "settling". I never felt anything with Kevin and Madison but a little sexual chemistry and she is still figuring things out for herself. Cassidy is married and has issues, really Sophie and Kevin share a history and both have grown. Seeing him with the donut bag and looking at her through the window, I felt anyone but her would seem lame unless we hadn't met her yet. The "no one is home" Madison thing was so obvious and so Kevin sleeping around, same old.

I hadn't heard about him divorcing, that seems to be a shock to his wife, too bad but so common when stars are young and popular.

We see Kate getting dumped out a car next week, not sure how she gets a call to home but glad she's okay. The anger/control issues the young man has, the question will be is he suffering from a mental disorder, drugs, or something else. I don't think he does anything to her like sexual assault though or I would hope her reaction would have been worse seeing his picture. Watching her low self esteem is so hard, I've had issues, not that bad though, I've seen it with friends, it's hard to watch someone not value themselves enough.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Sibling bonding- road trip to the cabin!

or not......I imagine by the end of it "they aren't talking to Randall".

5 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

P.S. Justin Hartley was killing me, and he is easily the most underrated cast member.

P.P.S. Also, I love him.

I never really felt it before but this season I am in love with him too!

• Love 2