Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Andi Meets The Parents

• Start Topic

Well Chris and his family are certainly adorable. And by saying he's a "very successful businessman" and not just a "farmer" leads me to believe that he is definitely getting the next Bachelor edit

• Love 3
(edited)

I loved Chris's family.  And his home and what little we saw of his farm operation was impressive -- I'm sure he's a millionaire and then some.  I think he'd make a terrific Bachelor!

Edited by Jaye
  • Love 2

So Josh gave up his baseball career to "be there" for his younger brother? Sounds like a BS excuse to me. Isn't that the parent's job?

Josh's sister looks like she could be Andi's sister.

• Love 5
(edited)

I read on Reality Steve that Chris is the next Bachelor.  I'm not sure if RS himself said it OR someone wrote in about it.  I can see it being any of the final 4.   

Josh has odd speaking cadence (no, not his Southern accent!) that drives me nuts!!!  After 10 minutes into a date, I would be done because of that.  Josh is miles out of my league so it wouldn't happen anyway!

Based on hometowns, it seems like Josh's went the "worst" as far as giving a young woman confidence about their marriage since they have to go the brother's games every weekend. BTW, Did the brother get drafted to the NFL or will he be sitting his ass in Atlanta cheering for the Falcons?? 

Edited by Rhondinella
added spoiler tags
  • Love 2
(edited)
So Josh gave up his baseball career to "be there" for his younger brother? Sounds like a BS excuse to me.

And it was such a blow to the Charlotte County Redfish of the South Coast League (Independent, i.e. no connection to a major league team) to lose Josh and his .227/.299/.377 average line. For the benefit of those who may not know, those numbers represent batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage. And to be sure, those numbers are bad. To be fair, he did lead the team in home runs, with 7. 

And that level of play, in his final season of 2007, was actually above his career totals. He was a hot prospect coming out of high school, drafted in the 2nd round (48th overall) by the Brewers in 2002. But like many a hot prospect, he simply peaked in high school.

BTW, Did the brother get drafted to the NFL or will he be sitting his ass in Atlanta cheering for the Falcons??

5th round by the Kansas City Chiefs. Not bad, but the Chiefs have Pro Bowler Alex Smith at the QB position. I don't really know their backup situation, but whether he makes the team or not, Golden Boy Aaron no doubt will be sitting on his ass come September.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 5

This is the first night I've tuned in - Josh's family seem like they have total monster in-law potential. "Wait, Josh who? Have you met the GOOD one, with the football stuff going on??" Damn, even Josh bought into that mess. Andi seems way too narcissistic to tolerate that for very long. "Yeah, I get that he's, like, a big deal, but what about ME...isn't that the point of this 'journey'? ME?!?!"

Marcus...rrrooowwwrrr... Come a little closer, I have a single brother looking for a hot date. Gay arm candy.

Chris who? Lol

• Love 3

I knew Marcus was a goner, you could tell she was not into him. If he falls that easily hopefully he will find somebody else.

Chris's family was so nice but the whole "homemaker", farmer thing is not going to fly with her.

Josh's family scared me off, I would not want to have to follow his brother's games every weekend and all the sports stuff.

I don't even care for Nick, but he seems like the best match of who is left.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought Chris said, I'm joking after the homemaker comment? Anyone else hear that?

I liked Chris' family the best from the edit. He's hunky too. Lol

Josh's mom is stunning. I mean stunning. They made three pretty babies that's for sure.

I really got the feeling that Marcus was "in love" because he was yearning for the family unit that he missed when his dad left. He fell so quick and it seemed a bit desperate poor thing.

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 6

I felt a little dirty watching the reveal of Eric's death. I feel like they should have done that off camera, or at least individually. When Chris Harrison said that he wanted to tell them as soon as possible, I realized that was a bold-faced lie. You wanted to tell them as soon as possible ONCE CAMERAS WERE ROLLING!

• Love 5
(edited)
So Josh gave up his baseball career to "be there" for his younger brother? Sounds like a BS excuse to me. Isn't that the parent's job?

While I've never personally been into Josh myself, I could see how obviously into him Andi was and he never really bothered me too much. Tonight was the first time I truly saw what others have been saying for awhile about his "me, me" attitude with Andi. Dude turned the majority of their time together at the baseball field to a trip down memory lane about his past glory days in baseball. And even as a person with very little knowledge of baseball, I was rolling my eyes at that excuse about his career. My first thought was "bullshit, you just couldn't hack it."

You know what Josh reminds me of, Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days". It's like he's placed so much of his identity on his "baseball career" and no matter how much time has passed, the reality of what happened, he's still stuck on those glory days when he was some big baseball prospect and he was going to be the next big thing - and it never happened. And like he and his baseball weren't annoying enough, there was the family and "Aaron this and Aaron that and Aaron is being drafted, etc. etc." Ugh...as a person whose extent with sports does not go beyond tennis, I would be bolting out of there in a heartbeat. But again it's obvious that Andi is very, very into Josh. 

Marcus' hometown - I saw nothing beyond the striptease as I was too embarrassed for him to keep watching. That alone probably sent him home. Chris' family was nice and the end of the hometown with them all piling around him and Andi was really adorable but let's be realistic, Andi knows and anyone with sense knows, Andi's not moving to Arlington, Iowa - population 750 people. 

Nick's family was sweet but wow, that was a lot of people which of course he did warn Andi about when they first met and he told her he had 10 siblings. I can't even wrap my head around that - Nick at 32, has a 9 year old little sister...that's just crazy. Speaking of the 9 year old sister, Bella was adorable and totally looked like young Jennifer Garner in 13 Going On 30. Nick's mother was also pretty stunning for a woman who has had 11 damn children. Woman looked good for her age. I also liked Nick's sister - she was polite, even pleasant to Andi but honest and firm. She made it obvious she was skeptical of the show and I liked her conversation with Nick and Andi. She also came across fiercely protective of Nick. I liked Nick's HTD because it was nice to be given a break from the "Nick is the devil" edit. See apparently he does have a family, loved ones and people who love and care for him and who he loves and cares for. 

Finally, the news about Eric. Hard to watch. I found the guys' reactions interesting. Marcus clearly did not want to break down in front of the camera, Chris was stoic, Nick was emotional and Josh I couldn't read. I don't know if he was in shock but he just seemed to have this almost confused/blank stare the entire time, it was weird. But I never judge how people react to grief and situations like these because everyone is different. I felt for Andi and I thought her emotions and feelings were genuine and raw. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Once again, like the sit-down with Andi after Eric's elimination, that whole reveal about Eric was more about how it affected them, and showing off their own grief, than anything to do with Eric.

They could've simply explained that they learned about Eric just before the Rose Ceremony, and proceeded to show the RC.  But, then they wouldn't be Mike Fleiss and Chris Harrison.

• Love 14

From what we saw in this episode, I like Chris' family the best.  They actually remind me a lot of my family!  He's my favourite by far, but I don't think he's the right match for Andi.  

Josh's family came across as very possessive and not too flexible when it comes to family obligations.  Expecting Andi to attend every football game for the brother way over the top.  The comment from his mom about not "cutting the cord" pretty much summed up the whole thing.

I don't like Nick at all, but for Andi, I think he's the best match of the three.  She can have him.

I can barely even comment on the rest of the episode (re: Eric).  I know this show isn't exactly classy, but they really hit the lowest of the low tonight by filming and televising everyone's reactions to the sad news.  Then made it worse by capitalizing on it and including it in the previews in an attempt to boost ratings for the "drama".  Sick.

• Love 4
(edited)

Nick: Despite the attempt to humanize him, I still don't like his face.  His family is huge -- I forgot that part!  Twitter was buzzing about the odd array of singular pics all lined up on the walls and I thought that was strange too.  Why not a family pic?  I'm just not a Nick fan.  He was awfully confident, too, telling his mom (?), "I'm her favorite."

Chris: Swoon.  I have such a crush on Chris it is ridiculous.  If I wasn't 34 years old and a single mom with a job to uphold, I'd sign up for the Bachelor if he's the next one (or, you know, think about it).  I like that he's driven, owns a house, and just seems so grounded.  Plus he's freakin' hot.  Oh, and the plane thing?  Soooo cute!

Marcus: There has always been something off about Marcus to me.  Like he is going through the motions of what he thinks someone is love should do.

Josh:  Total narcissist!  Once they sat down to dinner, the family didn't even pay any attention to Andi -- it was all about Aaron!  Andi was the guest and I thought that was so rude.  If she chooses Josh, then she is signing up with her eyes wide open that she will be NOT a priority in that family.  Sure, they talked the talk of blending families, but no.

The Eric Hill death reveal was gut-wrenching.  I found the guys' reactions to be odd.  The producers put down the cameras and walked over, and the guys (and Andi) showed more emotion and and comfort to the producers than to each other.  I also didn't like how any of the guys did not comfort Andi (I think Marcus tried a bit after he walked off).  I liked seeing Chris Harrison's house, as an aside (I may have a small CH crush, too).

Edited by stacey
clarification
  • Love 7
(edited)

Hi everybody. I came over from Twop and registered because... they went to Chris Harrison's house! It was Chris Harrison's house people. You know what that means. Somebody needed a tax write off.

I loved how the show tried to make the death about a touching real moment but...Don't try to leave the room and grieve by yourself because it's a cult, er family. It's a family, Marcus until you get rejected the next day.

I'm so happy to have found my people. We have to talk about this show together because spare the snark, spoil the show or whatever the saying is here.

Edited by lids
  • Love 8
I liked seeing Chris Harrison's house, as an aside (I may have a small CH crush, too).

When Marcus (I think) walked away from the couch and closed the door behind him, they look on Josh's face said to me "durrr, are we allowed to walk around?  Cause I'd like to check out Chris' game room.  durrrr."

Don't try to leave the room and grieve by yourself because it's a cult, er family. It's a family, Marcus until you get rejected the next day.

Yeah.  What was that "we lost one of our own" from Andi bullshit?  They're on a reality show, not storming Fallujah.

• Love 13
(edited)

The Eric Passing reveal was so horrible.  That felt unnecessarily exploitative, even for this show.  I cheered when Marcus got up and left.  

Though I must admit, I felt pretty vindicated in my dislike of Andi when she was sobbing into her mic "I threw him out" … it felt very much about her, and not Eric, in a way that I did not love. 

Then I felt pretty shitty for critiquing someone's grief.  Stupid show.  This is supposed to be a show that allows me to feel good about myself in comparison.  Thank God Bachelor in Paradise is coming. 

Edited by fib
  • Love 2

I must have missed something, because I didn't hear any of Josh's family voicing any expectations of Andi becoming an Aaron Murray groupie, nor expecting both of them to dance in attendance to Aaron. Josh specifically said it was time for him to create his own family with a wife.   His sister even said that too. 

Chris' family was wonderful.  He showed more personality and charm with them than I've seen the whole show.  And Chris even said in his radio interview that he was willing to leave Iowa if that was what Andi needed. 

• Love 2

With regards to the announcement of Eric Hill's death, I figure it was done about as well as could be. He was on the show, and his passing occurred during the remainder of the filming. And it no doubt cast a pall over the rest of the filming. The news was made public before the show ever aired, and fans of the show were not only aware but curious as to how it would be handled. I believe that to skip over it, even out of respect, would have been, as Costanza would put it, a huge matzo ball hanging in the air. In any event, I don't think anything shown was disrespectful to his memory.

As far as the reactions of the cast and crew, I choose to let the reactions, whatever they are, simply be. Hearing the news of the passing of a loved one, or in this case someone known only in passing (no pun intended), is just so damn heavy to process that there can't really be any proper or improper way to deal with it. Maybe Andi and the guys made it about themselves, but so be it. I know all too well from experience that we just can't be held to what we say or do when processing the news of someone's death. This is just my take on it, I'm sure others will disagree. So be it. 

• Love 6

I thought Andi was being really rude by repeating over and over : "Gee, I hope Josh isn't going to be paying attention to anyone but me". Josh hadn't seen his brother for awhile and his family was excited over the news. I think anyone would be. They played plenty of attention to Andi. And there are worse things in the world than be expected to support a family member at the occasional football game (I do it with my nephew who plays college football). I'm sure Andi wouldn't really have to go to every game. And Josh lives in a different town than his parents so he obviously doesn't see them all that much. 

Milwaukee's my hometown and it is really a sophisticated city with a thriving art and music scene. And they must have searched high and low to find a polka club, because no one in my family could tell where that was. That is also why I give Josh the benefit of the doubt regarding the baseball thing: it is planned out completely by the producers and not the contestant.

Marcus is cute but seems very sad and I didn't like the strip tease. Chris is handsome and sweet and he didn't say Andi should be a housewife, he said that would obviously not be for her. It bugs me that they edited that clip in a false way.

I hated the way they brought the guys in to tell them of Eric's death and then made them sit there probably thinking something happened to Andi or that Andi was sending them all home. And what was taped all over Chris' coffee table? Then the crew coming in was just bizarre.

• Love 1
(edited)

I suppose telling them about Eric without the cameras rolling didn't cross ABC/TheBachelorette/Chris or Andi's mind even once?

Everything has to be for "show" just like Eric said before he left. That Andi bitched him out over.   Marcus leaving was the most realistic part.

Chris's family was amazing and he himself seems really great and grounded. Having that big house of his own, his own acres of land, a farming business.  

Josh's family seems very into the  living the life and fame of the football draft child. The draft, pro and media day. The fact they were all gathered there for Josh but made everything basically all about Aaron and his draft before they even sat down made me raise some concerns.

Marcus must be doing really well for himself with driving that car in Dallas. I was expecting more drama from his family dynamics based on what he's said and they seemed normal and have come a long way to mend their family. 

Nick's family is massive! What is he, one of 10 children?

Based on this, I think Nick's her heart "one." If she chooses anyone else I think she'll be following some other advice and not what she really feels for. Like what Emily did when she should have chosen Arie over more wealthy/stable Jef. Jef on paper was more logical, she went with head over heart and it blew up ASAP. 

I always hate that they send someone home in the meeting the familie's episode. The Bachelor/ette always know, it's just awful they meet that persons family and then cuts them right after. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

NOTE FROM THE MOD: Just a reminder, guys, that any discussion of who may be chosen as the next Bachelor constitutes a spoiler for that show, and could possibly be a spoiler for this show if the person chosen is one of the three still left.  So, please do not post such info, or speculation based on such possible info, without spoiler tags.

Or better still, take it to the spoiler thread in The Bachelor forum.  Thanks.

(edited)

Did we know that Nick was engaged?
How stinking cute is Bella?!?!!?

“Andi, when you say ‘I mean’ I kind of want to hit you.” It bugs the shit out of me.

Chris, you are WAY too nice for this show.

Chris Harrison for the next Bachelor?  Anyone? Or is he married?  

And like mentioned above, it definitely seemed like Andi knew about Eric before getting to the house.  Weird scene all around.  And why did it have to happen at Chris' house?  Doubly weird!

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1
(edited)

As a fellow Waukesha/Milwaukee area native, Nick's hometown date was really fun to watch. It was pretty obvious that he was just showing Andi some of the very stereotypical Wisconsin things there is to know about the state, like: Packers/Cheeseheads, fresh cheese curds at the marketplace, polka music (which is basically nonexistent to be honest... I have no clue where you can even find a polka band in the area?), and amazing beer. Nick definitely gained some major brownie points in my book by taking her on a Lakefront Brewery tour, too; that's one of the nicer breweries in the city. (Andi better have enjoyed that Wisconsinite beer! Probably my second favorite Wisconsin-brewed beer behind Spotted Cow.)

Josh's teeth continue to distract me, especially when he was nervously talking a mile a minute during his hometown interviews.

Edited by Curio
(edited)

Did we know that Nick was engaged?

Yeah he talked about it to Andi on his first one on one.

Chris Harrison for the next Bachelor? Anyone? Or is he married?

He's divorced. Edited by truthaboutluv
When Chris Harrison said that he wanted to tell them as soon as possible, I realized that was a bold-faced lie. You wanted to tell them as soon as possible ONCE CAMERAS WERE ROLLING!

I was surprised that it appeared that the crew, or at least that part of the crew, had not been told until that moment either.  At least it seemed like it from the way they were consoling each other.

And, look, totally be sad that someone you knew died, absolutely.  I know personally what a shock to the system that can be.  But  . . . they knew the guy for, what, a week, two at most?  Some sadness, maybe a few tears shed for the potential that was lost and for the grief of the man's family, sure.  But to go on and on like Andi was unseemly.  Just making it all about her, I agree.   Cause you know his death made it soooo hard for her to go on with the show.  Blech.

• Love 4

Andi's pink shorts were seriously the smallest things I've ever seen on an adult in my life.  

Andi's duck lips, "Shut up!" and "stopppppppp" were in full effect tonight. 

Nick is so unappealing to me but I guess he's the best fit for her.  

• Love 3

I'm on the West Coast plus DVR'd so I'm a little behind but catching up.  I just had to say I'm like, so, like, bummed that like "STAHP!"  and "STAHHHHPPP IT!" are like back, like in full force. It's, like, driving me nuts. Andi: like please, like STAHHHPPP telling the guys and, like, their families to, like, STAHHHPPP talking.  Like please!

I surprised myself when I mostly liked Andi but these two verbal tics have been driving me insane, and the hometowns so far (I'm about halfway through) have been the worst. I may have to force myself to re-watch to get the gist of the episode beyond the STAHHHPPPs.  Maybe... I should probably do about a half dozen other things instead, but since I've gotten this far in I want to know who I'm rooting for.

• Love 1

Maybe I'm a terrible person, but when everyone was sitting in Chris Harrison's house just before he broke the news, I was thinking that he should have some snacks and some sodas for his guests (and the camera crew).  After all, they are his GUESTS.  I also noticed that Chris' house didn't look too lived in (not many personal effects around), but that the same designer of The Bachelor house must have given him a hand with his place, because it has that same Tuscan look to it.

Later, when Andi cut Marcus loose and walked him outside, they both looked totally spent.  It was probably the most realistic break-up they've ever had on this show.  Between the death news and the break-up, they just seemed exhausted.  Real tears for once, from both of them.

• Love 6

I'm emotionally exhausted after watching this episode.

I totally agree with whoever posted that Andi (and probably the guys) knew about Eric before they got to Chris' house. it was so sad. I have to say that i am VERY impressed with all the guys and Andi this season. What is being shown is real. Everyone is crying and having real conversations. It's a refreshing change. Although I don't think they should have aired Chris telling everyone. I just don't.

Josh''s hometown date was the oddest, but they were all great.

Did anyone hear Josh say, "I cannot wait to be married again."? I audibly said, "whoa." What?

• Love 1
(edited)

I felt bad for Andi when she was crying and lamenting her last conversation with Eric. It does suck that the last moment they had together was an argument. I felt she was genuinely upset at the fact it ended the way it did and there would be no opportunity to ever hash it out after the show was done.

Josh looked completely unperturbed. 

I liked seeing the crew comforting people - many of those crew members probably spent eons more time with the "cast" than the cast ever did each other - which means they also probably spent a ton of time with Eric. A bad situation all around, and not something they could really ignore in the scope of the show since it happened while they were still shooting.

Edited by threebluestars
  • Love 2

I liked Chris's mom, but I thought his sisters were a bit tacky talking about how successful - wink, wink - he is. The man is a legitimate catch, no need to "sell" him. 

There is something about very large families that kind of creeps me out, and Nick's family was no different. I was impressed that Andi could remember everyone's names. The age range between all the kids is really big, especially since I don't think Nick is the oldest - the brunette sister in the short dress seemed older than him, and possibly the blonde one with too much makeup as well. So if the youngest is nine and the oldest in her mid or late thirties, that's a 25+ year span - I wonder how that's biologically possible. I'm going to hurt myself if I keep thinking about it.

Josh's family did everything short of waving big red flags in Andi's face. Newsflash: a 29-year-old man should have "cut the cord" a long time ago. I would have hated to be at that dinner, because every time someone talks about a sport that isn't soccer, my eyes glaze over. But then I would have cut Josh a long time ago for that very reason.

Marcus is still a non-entity to me, but I liked his mother's cute German accent. 

I wish I could unsee the Eric announcement. If there's one reason not to film something, that was the reason.

• Love 1

Oh my goodness, just finished the episode and I'll definitely have to watch again to form any strong impressions of the hometown dates.I feel bad for making fun of the STAHHPS and "likes" earlier.

I felt like the Eric announcement was handled really graciously earlier in the show, and really horribly in this one.  I do not think any one person handled it badly.  Everyone reacts to grief and shock so differently. I have personally sobbed over the death of someone I had only met for a few hours in a training class and had no romantic interest in at all, so I can see where this would be very upsetting and very individual.  I think the show handled it really badly, though.  I got the impression Andi and the guys had already been told and they were just there to play up their 'reaction' for the cameras, which is probably the only thing that could have bothered me more than the show saving the announcement for the cameras.  I hope I'm wrong and it was just all awkward and sad for everyone.

Might have to wait a few days to try again on the hometown dates... still feeling for Eric and his family. He was pretty local to me so that somehow hits home even more.

• Love 2
(edited)
I felt bad for Andi when she was crying and lamenting her last conversation with Eric. It does suck that the last moment they had together was an argument. I felt she was genuinely upset at the fact it ended the way it did and there would be no opportunity to ever hash it out after the show was done.

That and even if it's super stupid to think, if I were her I could really never shake the idea that if I hadn't threw him out of the game that night, he'd maybe still be alive. I wouldn't blame myself per se of course, it is what it is, but the "what if" would definitely be in my mind. But I'm the kind of person who (stupidly) keeps on rehashing when something goes wrong what I could have done different to change the outcome.

I'm not sure if they knew he was dead or if they were previously informed that he had an accident when it occured so they were kind of prepared to hear bad news.

Edited by Pollock
  • Love 6

They looked like they were expecting bad news.  From Chris Harrison's blog it sounded like it was being reported that he was in bad condition but that they hadn't announced in the news that he'd died yet.  I think knowing he'd been in an accident and then being called to Harrison's house like that means you're expecting bad news.

I don't love that they had to show the reactions, but at least they told the entire group together instead of manufacturing a bawling over the balcony scene complete with interviews and confessionals.  It was understated considering it was The Bachelor.

• Love 3
(edited)

Though I must admit, I felt pretty vindicated in my dislike of Andi when she was sobbing into her mic "I threw him out" … it felt very much about her, and not Eric, in a way that I did not love.

That was a normal reaction on her part, not self-centered. If your last conversation with a friend turns ugly, even if it was 50-50, you'll remember it as 100% your fault. Hence "I threw him out," when in reality he seemed aware that their relationship had fizzled, and hardly begged to stay.

I thought Andi was being really rude by repeating over and over : "Gee, I hope Josh isn't going to be paying attention to anyone but me".

She only had one hometown date with him; it was supposed to be about Andi interacting with each member of his family, not them interacting with each other. I assume Josh had a few more days with his family before going back to L.A.

I'm not sure if they knew he was dead or if they were previously informed that he had an accident when it occured so they were kind of prepared to hear bad news.

I agree, it was hard to tell. Any time you get a phone call from someone telling you they need to see you, but they won't say why, you're expecting the worst. Especially when it's at Chris Harrison's house, which we've never heard about contestants visiting.

Edited by Bugs Meany
  • Love 5

I think it was better that they showed something about Eric's death, instead of ignoring it, since it happened during this part of taping the show.  I don't know how secluded contestants are at this point but they may not have heard much about Eric.  Usually they are cut off from the media.  I think Andi is a kind-hearted person so she felt particularly bad that their last conversation was an argument and they parted on bad terms.  I could tell Nick felt really bad. 

If Andi really loves Chris, she could make it OK in Iowa.  As his mother said there are all sorts of options today because of technology.  Andi could get a job in one of the larger cities close by - Waterloo/Cedar Falls area or Cedar Rapids, go into the office a couple days a week and work from home.  In that big house there's probably room for a decent office. Chris probably has a good-sized office.  Farming takes a lot of business ability.

• Love 2

It was understated considering it was The Bachelor.

I was surprised (in a good way) that they didn't try to throw some drama between Andi and the boys in the midst of it- who will put his arm around her, who's looking jealous etc?  I did find it a bit telling that everyone was being comforted by crew members, instead of each other, but given the amount of time the cast and crew spend together there are probably often deeper bonds between them than there are between most  of the principals.  And I did feel badly for Andi- when she was whimpering "I can't do this, I can't watch our conversation again" i felt for her.  In her spot my first thoughts likely would have been "he'd be alive if I hadn't kicked him off/I wish that we hadn't fought/I don't want to have to watch that".  I do wish that the show had chosen to handle it a different way, but it could have been a lot worse.  

I did like the rest of the episode, although it would be nice if the producers would find some less stereotypical things to do in hometowns.  Polka and a brewery tour in Milwaukee?  10 minutes of producer research would probably give them some new ideas, although at least there weren't any mechanical bulls when they hit Dallas.  And while I wouldn't object to a private strip show from someone I lusted after, doing it in the morning, in a cavernous tacky restaurant, and being encouraged to drink a lot a few hours before meeting the family wouldn't be my preferred setting.   

I thought that Josh had an odd edit this episode for someone who's been so clearly a frontrunner- the baseball thing was just sad.  Presumably he has moved on from his high school baseball dreams, but you'd never know it from that episode.  And his family was just so off-putting- hopefully they just got a bad edit, because leaving that date, there wasn't much reason for Andi to want to move forward with him. 

And I fell in love a bit with Chris this week- the plane thing seemed idiotic to me, but you can't fault his commitment.  The career talk in the field seemed a bit silly- hadn't Andi already quit her law career by this point?  Maybe a conversation that went "we're only an hour away from an airport, so you could pursue your celebrity dreams and still live on the farm" might have been more appropriate. And I love his mother- I disagree with her about 'if you love someone, it doesn't matter where you live' (because I wouldn't live on a farm again), but she was smart, sensitive, and so obviously wants her son to be happy.  His sisters were a bit over the top in their 'he's really successful- REALLY, really successful' comments, but they obviously meant well.  I do wonder how Andi would deal with months of snow. 

Nick still seems to be coasting along- his family were great, and Andi seemed to like them.  Bella was just adorable- I'd forgotten how cute kids are at that age.  Although Andi didn't seem to have any idea at all about how to talk to her- blathering on about an 'emotional connection' when a kid asks what you like about her brother probably isn't that useful- it's no surprise that Bella couldn't remember anything she said.  

• Love 3

Chris's farm was wonderful and his tractor was awesome, so I don't know why his family had to sell him so hard. His mother was all, "I was a city girl and I love farming and you can be a lawyer in town or anything else you want and have pretty grand children for me please, please, please." They were really nice though. I would much rather join a family like that than Josh's where they might forget her name if she doesn't show up for every single football game.

Josh's rapid fire monologues drive me nuts. Take a breath, Bubba! You sound like you're doing short-stop chatter to distract the batter.

I think Marcus' striptease had producer pressure written all over it, but he should have refused.

Nick's mother was so sweet and pretty. My husband is from Minnesota and has 11 siblings and his parents have a wall of photographs, too. Deja vu. I thought a big family would be great but after 30 years I'm still the outsider looking in and they know next to nothing about me. They're very nice but they just don't need anyone else.

His death was already handled the night he left.

Right. The was quiet and appropriate, last night's seemed forced and uncomfortable. Was Andi always this emotional? Not just about Eric, but all the tears over everything just don't seem very lawyerly to me. I may be the most cynical person in the world but I'm starting to wonder if her handkerchief has pepper spray on it or something. What ever it is I wish they had given some to Josh who looked like he was going to burst trying to squeeze out a tear.

• Love 3
(edited)
If Andi really loves Chris, she could make it OK in Iowa. As his mother said there are all sorts of options today because of technology.  Andi could get a job in one of the larger cities close by - Waterloo/Cedar Falls area or Cedar Rapids, go into the office a couple days a week and work from home. In that big house there's probably room for a decent office.

No offense to any Iowa lovers here, but even their "larger cities" are fairly small and pretty boring for someone who has spent time in a bigger city. You really have to embrace a simpler lifestyle to live there. I would not blame Andi one bit for not wanting to move to Iowa, even if she got a job in one of those "big" cities. Trust me, I've had to do my fair share of weekend traveling to Iowa over the past 5 years and there is literally nothing more boring than driving along those flat highways surrounded by miles of corn for hours on end. The most exciting thing near Chris's hometown is the giant strawberry in Strawberry Point.

Was Andi always this emotional? Not just about Eric, but all the tears over everything just don't seem very lawyerly to me.

Being a lawyer doesn't require an unemotional personality, it requires a person to be studious and to be able to read and write thousands of pages of legal documents. 

Edited by Curio
  • Love 4

I actually liked that the guys weren't all trying to comfort Andi when they got the news.  To me, turning that time into yet another chance to fight over who gets to spend some alone time with her would have been inappropriate.  At least with Marcus, she followed him outside - and they only stayed out briefly.  Overall, it was handled about as well as a televised grief-fest could be.

• Love 3
No offense to any Iowa lovers here, but even their "larger cities" are fairly small and pretty boring for someone who has spent time in a bigger city. You really have to embrace a simpler lifestyle to live there. I would not blame Andi one bit for not wanting to move to Iowa, even if she got a job in one of those "big" cities. Trust me, I've had to do my fair share of weekend traveling to Iowa over the past 5 years and there is literally nothing more boring than driving along those flat highways surrounded by miles of corn for hours on end. The most exciting thing near Chris's hometown is the giant strawberry in Strawberry Point.

I do agree that the cities are smaller, thus if you are used to the larger cities there would be some adjustment.  But they are really nice size cities for daily living.  You have everything you need, traffic isn't a huge issue, and there is a lot of feeling of community in cities like these.  Plus they do have a large number of working professionals so it isn't like she would be hanging out with just a bunch of farmers.  It really is a nice size to be in if you want to work and raise a family as well.  As for the flat highways, to each his own.  I find it refreshing and beautiful...though I love the trees that surround me where I live now, I love the beauty of the open fields when I go back to Iowa.  I do think Andi would get bored with it all though, and I am quite sure Chris isn't a frontrunner anyway...so it is a moot point.  

• Love 2

Hated Josh's hometown date. If Andi picks him I will be shocked because she's all me me me and he doesn't seem to make her a priority.  I agree with the poster who said Josh's sister and Andi could be sisters. For a moment I thought Josh's mom was his older sister (I guess because Nick's sister looked so much older). Thought Nick was so cute talking about how he is in love with Andi. He is the ONLY one I believe when he says this. He really seems smitten with her. God help him if she doesn't pick him.  I want to move to Iowa with Chris! OMG he looked so sexy in his vest riding that tractor.  I am not a fan of that lifestyle  but I would change my mind if I could share it with Chris. What a hottie and he seems like a sweetheart. And his family was great. I liked that Andi was open minded about moving there with him but you can tell she's just not into him. No thoughts on Marcus. The strip tease was embarrassing. Don't like the way they handled Eric's passing. I didn't need to see that.

• Love 1
I actually liked that the guys weren't all trying to comfort Andi when they got the news.  To me, turning that time into yet another chance to fight over who gets to spend some alone time with her would have been inappropriate.

Yes, but I automatically assumed that each of them sitting on the sofa were waiting for their own filmed "alone time" with Andi. I actually thought it was going to go there, but maybe they only had one cameraman and there were too many reactions to catch. Fleiss was probably kicking himself for not getting two cameras there. Seriously, I thought they should not have filmed that. However nicely his death was handled earlier in the season, this "big reveal" was exploitative to the ones getting the news.  

Josh's hometown should be an eye-opener for Andi. First, she had her Grumpy Cat face on for most of the visit, reacting to most of what Josh was saying.I think it was very telling of Josh's manners that he directed the dinner table conversation right away to his brother, instead of toward Andi, who was his guest. He should have led the conversation to be more inclusive of her. He does not really have any finesse, and I haven't seen many qualities in him that would make him a caring husband.

I think she knows in her head that this is a family that will be all about NFL football until they are all grey. Every family dinner, every Sunday and Monday night will be sports centered. Every baby gift will be a Kansas City Chiefs or Georgia onesie, they will have the cheifs license plate holder, the flag flying outside their house, etc. And what about his sister saying "You guys will probably fight about this." I don't love Andi, but I would wish more for her than I think she would get from picking Josh.  

I think Chris' hometown was one of the best settings ever.  What a cool guy. I bet he reads too, he just seems so smart and centered.  I think she knows herself well enough to know she probably wouldn't be content in that setting. LOVED Chris' mother and the hide and seek.  What a fun family, compared to Josh's.

Somehow I missed the Nick has ten siblings info. And I enjoyed looking at Nick's dad. I just kept thinking "that's Nick in 30 years."  Nick lives in Chicago, so it didn't really give Andi an idea of what her life would be like if she picked Nick. Too bad we couldn't have seen where Nick lives during the day and then drive up to Milwaukee for the family meet and greet. 

• Love 1

Did anyone hear Josh say, "I cannot wait to be married again."? I audibly said, "whoa." What?

I heard that too and have no idea what's it about as there has been zero mention of him being married before.  Strange. 

I personally can't stand Nick but agree he's the best for Andi of the remaining guys.