Type keyword(s) to search

Season 19 Spoiler Thread

• Start Topic

According to Chris Harrison's blog on EW.com they are seriously waffling on who will be the next Bachelor. Rumor has it that Arie is back in the mix, has even filmed promo shots. If so, I think it's a bad choice. Chris the farmer would be so fun and different, I cannot believe they think anyone can get excited over Arie anymore. Wonder why they are doing this? 

• Love 1

They were just talking about the next Bachelor on E! News. They said it's between two guys and they flashed photos of Chris & Arie and they said now a third guy is being considered as a wild card. They think that's Nick. I'm biased but I think Nick would be a great Bachelor. Or why not have dual Bachelors who can go thru this together and battle for the women? That'd be fun!!

• Love 1

Yeah, Reality Steve has also confirmed that Arie is, surprisingly, back in the running. Here's what he said:

The fact of the matter is, it’s true. I’ve said all along it’s going to be Chris. And maybe it still will be him. But Arie is definitely in the mix now and someone they are seriously considering. Didn’t see it coming since he’s yesterday’s news, but I’m very well aware he’s got a following, so I could see why they’d choose him if they did. My opinion? Professionally, it’d be better if they chose Arie. Personally, I’d rather see them pick Chris.

He goes on to say that they have actually filmed some footage of Arie in Arizona and apparently have hired him a trainer (??--do they routinely do that for the Bachelor or Bachelorette?).  And Chris was flown to LA recently to meet with producers.  RS rails a little about how one of them is getting screwed because the show is stringing them both along at the moment, which considering this is the Bachelor is more than a little ironic. 

Here's RS's analysis of why they haven't decided between the two:

I can make a case for either guy getting picked for the role. Arie would be for shock value since they know he’s got a rabid fan base, but the fact he’s publicly dated two other women from the franchise (Courtney and Selma), has numerous ex-girlfriends and hookups just chomping at the bit to run to tabloids to sell him out, and the fact that nobody would buy for a second he’s interested in finding a wife, is what would make the choice of him very curious. With that said, I could see them doing it because it would get people talking. And Chris, although looking great on paper, doesn’t really have the “buzz” that would resonate over choosing Arie. So in the end, I guess it all depends on what they’re looking for because these two guys couldn’t be more polar opposite if they tried.

Chris seemed to have a rabid enough fan base in the finale audience last night, so I still think he's a better choice, myself.  Plus I just can't believe they are going to pass up the ready-made theme of "The Bachelor: Down on the Farm."  But maybe they're worried about him being tarnished by his arrest record?  Of course, is that worse than Arie being seen as a playboy (cause he is) and definitely not interested in settling down?  I don't know how they're weighing that.

Chris seemed to have a rabid enough fan base in the finale audience last night

I wouldn't trust the studio audience, they also went wild for Juan Pablo and I didn't know anyone who was dying for him to be The Bachelor. I think Arie would be more fun to watch, although if they want somebody more sincere like Sean then Chris is the better choice.

• Love 1

Yeah, Reality Steve has also confirmed that Arie is, surprisingly, back in the running. Here's what he said:

He goes on to say that they have actually filmed some footage of Arie in Arizona and apparently have hired him a trainer (??--do they routinely do that for the Bachelor or Bachelorette?). And Chris was flown to LA recently to meet with producers. RS rails a little about how one of them is getting screwed because the show is stringing them both along at the moment, which considering this is the Bachelor is more than a little ironic.

Here's RS's analysis of why they haven't decided between the two:

Chris seemed to have a rabid enough fan base in the finale audience last night, so I still think he's a better choice, myself. Plus I just can't believe they are going to pass up the ready-made theme of "The Bachelor: Down on the Farm." But maybe they're worried about him being tarnished by his arrest record? Of course, is that worse than Arie being seen as a playboy (cause he is) and definitely not interested in settling down? I don't know how they're weighing that.

You just know they couldn't pass up the innuendo of The Bachelor: Going Down on the Farm"....

• Love 1

Chris, while hot, is a hard sell to me because who the hell wants to move to the middle of nowhere?! Farm life isn't some glamorous, fun thing. It is hard work. Arie on the other hand has a toooooon of loonies that idolize him so it would be fun to see them compete for him. But personally, I think Marquel would be the best bet. Smart, hot, funny, sensitive, well spoken. Sign me up!

• Love 3

I think the challenge with having Chris at this point is that, with all of the Nick drama at the ATFR, Chris has become almost an afterthought or footnote to this season.  

Now, Fleiss & Co. are obviously not aversion to revisionist history, so there's nothing stopping them from reminding us how "America fell in love with Chris" and how "America's heart broke when Chris was sent home", etc.  

But, the entire reason for having retreads is to create continuity and an on-going storyline.  Having anyone from this season would make it very difficult for the show to ignore the Nick/Andi situation, and I'm not sure they want to wade back into that scum-filled pond right away.  They couldn't very well have Nick come back to "offer advice" to The Bachelor.  And they probably don't want Andi and Josh back.

They've already set the precedent for reaching back to an earlier season for retreads.  So I'd say that the ATFR fiasco raised Arie's stock in terms of being the next Bachelor.  

• Love 1

I would think the show runners would be leery that Arie is not serious about marriage. After Juan Pablo's season I think they would be scared to have a smooth operator like him.

I admit that Arie was one of the few contestants I was attracted to. I found him charming and funny but I am also afraid that a whole season of him would make me dislike him. But if they do choose him I AM ALL IN.

• Love 2

Since I worship at the altar of Reality Steve, this is what I just posed on his site regarding his opinion that Arie would be a more interesting Bachelor:

While I really like Chris, I totally agree with Steve that Arie as Bachelor would be TV gold.  Can you imagine all the girls they cast being convinced that they could “change” his horn dog ways? That all he really needs is the love of a good woman, and he’ll change! Really, he will! He just needs REAL love and compassion, and understanding and someone to listen to him, to hold him, to cry with him, who lets him be vulnerable, and….and….and….

Aaaahhh hahahahah!!!!!

Seriously, the ladies will be lining up to prove that THEY have what it takes to change him.  We ALL know women like that, and I guarantee that the producers can easily find 25 women desperate to prove it on National TV.  

If it’s Arie, it’s gonna be a hell of a ride, and I can’t wait!!!

• Love 4

I listened to some of Reality Steve's webcast last night and he said he thinks it will be Chris but if Arie gets it then it will be great for RS as he has lots of stuff on him from his dating of multiple bachelor contestant rejects.

I personally watch the Bachelor for mindless fun and a bunch of girls trying to change Arie has the potential to be an epic season so of course I'm all in for Arie.

Edited by CindyBee
  • Love 5

I guess this could be classified as media but just in case, I'll post it in here. So I saw this at of all places, my TIME Magazine twitter timeline. I guess Arie really, really wants to be The Bachelor huh. 

http://time.com/3071743/arie-the-bachelor/

I can't say I read the whole thing. I mostly just skimmed and rolled my eyes most of the time. Of course I was never as enamored with Arie as others during Emily's season but I do agree with the above that the potential for drama and just an all around hot mess of a season is way higher with him than Chris who quite frankly came across duller than dishwater during Andi's season.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

So in the midst of one of the busiest, most unsettled and travel-focused times of his life, he's ready for a wife?   I would assume that he meets a lot women that are interested in, from, or involved in the racing community.  Women that understand the demands on a racer and their lifestyle. 

Yet he'd prefer to meet 25 women that I would assume are probably not from that environment, in order to find one to settle down with?  How does that make any sense?

Wow, if he does become the Bachelor, it's going to be even better than I thought!  *LOL*

Thanks for sharing the article, @truthaboutluv! So first he talks at length about how engaging with religion has helped him get over his negative reality TV experience ... and then he says he'd like to be the next Bachelor. OK, Arie, whatever you say.

Hey, if God tells you to go on The Bachelor whatchyagonnado?

• Love 7

So long as Arie and his family (I follow both him and his father on Twitter) remember that it's rude to carry on conversations in Dutch in front of someone else who doesn't speak the language (as I would remind them in a heartbeat -- and in Dutch -- if they ever pulled a stunt like that on me), I'm more than OK with his being the next Bachelor.

For pure eye candy and entertainment, I'm for Arie as the next Bachelor. Great hair and smile!

Which I can't say at all about Chris (mileage varies, of course). Chris got an angelic edit, and I'm not buying it, but I still think he'd be a wee bit bland by Bachelor expectations. Whoever is chosen, I always wish they'd cast seemingly more appropriate matches to the leads...for instance, why cast women who have zero interest in farming or off-road racing (or whatever it is that's a big part of the lead's life)? Oops, sorry...I tried to apply logic to this silly show. Obviously drama and discord are prized more than long-term relationship success. And hey, it's not like cast members really think they'll get very far in the process and actually fall in love.

• Love 2

I just got an US Weekly alert that they are looking at Nick Viall for the next Bachelor because viewers really want to know where his story goes.  I gotta say, I agree.  I am more curious about him being able to find love than Chris or Arie.  Keeping my fingers crossed for Nick!

• Love 1

I'm fine with Chris or Arie.  I think Chris will show a lot more personality as lead, and I think Arie will be that adorable horn dog that will snow every woman that shows up. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

Just realized that even though I usually avoid Spoiler threads that this one is safe to read right now.  Definitely crossing my fingers that it is Arie.  I even read somewhere that Jef was being considered which is why he said "No" to an invitation to BIP.  Not sure if that has any merit. I would watch a season of Chris but it could get pretty boring since he seems so soft spoken.  But who knows....people tend to change on that show.

Staaaaaaaaaahp Y'all ! I'll bet our favorite cat and 3 days without posting anything on this forum that Nick was never, ever, never, ever in consideration for the part. I mean, like, never.

• Love 2

Yeah.  Any stories about Nick as a Bachelor candidate are blatant grabs for page views.  Let's not forget, his quasi-stalker storyline might have been forced penance for leaking the outcome.  Why would he then be rewarded with the Bachelor gig?  My name has been brought up as many times as Nick's has (i.e., zero).

• Love 1

No worries on Nick as Reality Steve tweeted out today that its Chris Soules, contract has been signed and pre-filming has already begun in Iowa.   

Too bad for Arie but thank goodness its not Nick as I wouldn't have watched that guy.

• Love 2

Yep.  Here's what RS tweeted today:

(SPOILER): It's official. Chris Soules will be the next "Bachelor." Signed contract couple days ago & been filmed the last 2 days in Iowa

Also:

Not sure when ABC will make their official announcement (prob not til September), but it's Chris. Any reports it's Nick or Arie aren't true

I have no interest in a season of farming!

No.  But I am kinda irrationally excited about the inevitable episodes where the bachelorettes will be forced to do real farm chores to show how "serious" they are about Chris.  Mucking out stables can be hell on a manicure.  The bitching that will ensue should be epic, even for this show.

• Love 3

Eh, I rarely watch The Bachelor seasons anyway since it comes on in the fall when my real shows are back on so not that big of a deal to me(seriously that's how the Bachelorette gets me everytime - it comes on in summer when there's nothing else to watch). I'll watch as much as I did of Sean's which was nothing.

That would be pretty funny.  But not for an entire season.  Also entertaining would be the first episode, where the women are blindfolded and taken to the farm instead of the mansion.  I can just see their faces drop!!  :D  Hmmm, maybe this season won't be so bad after all.  I do hope they give him lots of women who are city, career types.... basically a bunch of Andis.  That's the only way it would be entertaining for me.

• Love 2

With the exception of Emily's season, and until the final 4, they don't go near people's hometowns.  Unless they go for something REALLY outside the box, which I doubt, they'll start in the LA area as usual, make a few US detours and then out of the country. 

And I can't imagine they'd be able to find appropriate accommodations for 20+ women anywhere near Chris's farm, much less a mansion with access to the amenities, food, and date destinations.

I think the only thing "farm-ish" is going to be Chris himself, in the usual mansions in California and with the usual routine. 

With the exception of Emily's season, and until the final 4, they don't go near people's hometowns.  Unless they go for something REALLY outside the box, which I doubt, they'll start in the LA area as usual, make a few US detours and then out of the country.

Well, of course I could be wrong.  But I really think that at some point before the final 4 they will have the bachelorettes in Iowa on the farm.  When that would be or how the logistics will work out I don't know but . . . . c'mon!  Honestly, what is the point of having a bachelor from the middle of nowhere Iowa if they aren't going to use it to ramp up the drama?  Believe me, they'll find someway to use it, maybe not at the very beginning of the season, but at some point. I mean, couldn't you just see a group date where he divides them into two teams and challenges them to see who can do farm chores the fastest?  Fleiss has got to be salivating at that kind of opportunity.

• Love 2

Definitely agree, Rhondinella that heading to the farm would be fab.  I just don't trust the producers to do anything outside the norm.  But I'd love to be totally wrong in this instance  *LOL*

Those kinds of activities it would definitely liven up the dates and wreck havoc with the ladies!  

Well, of course I could be wrong.  But I really think that at some point before the final 4 they will have the bachelorettes in Iowa on the farm.  When that would be or how the logistics will work out I don't know but . . . . c'mon!  Honestly, what is the point of having a bachelor from the middle of nowhere Iowa if they aren't going to use it to ramp up the drama?  Believe me, they'll find someway to use it, maybe not at the very beginning of the season, but at some point. I mean, couldn't you just see a group date where he divides them into two teams and challenges them to see who can do farm chores the fastest?  Fleiss has got to be salivating at that kind of opportunity.

This is driving me crazy, because didn't some other show surprise the ladies with chores they were expected to do on a farm: Definite shock and fake good-humored responses. Was it Joe Millionaire? I need to do some research.

This is driving me crazy, because didn't some other show surprise the ladies with chores they were expected to do on a farm: Definite shock and fake good-humored responses. Was it Joe Millionaire? I need to do some research.

It wasn't Joe Millionaire's first season. The second season had a rancher and a bunch of European women, but I don't remember if any of them were taken to the ranch except for the "winner."

There was definitely a distinct farmer-looking-for-romance show on for 2 or 3 seasons. I need to do some research, too.

Found it! See #13 on the list.

• Love 1

Zzzzzzzzz

The string of crazies that would've signed up for Arie would've been amazing. I'm disappointed. Also, they should've given it to Marquel. I follow him on social media and he is just as adorable as you might imagine. Thanks, Juan Pablo! We will never get a minority again.

• Love 2

Meh, I would've preferred Marquel too. Not sure about Arie after all the hooking up he's been doing with various contestants. Hard to believe he's serious about finding a wife. It would've been kind of mean to not give the job to Chris though, after Chris Harrison basically confirmed it was him on ATFR.

I hope they provide him with lots of alcohol since he seems like a bit of a bad drunk. Otherwise it'll be a boring season. The corny romantic gestures are making me roll my eyes already.

Oh and I'm still sure becoming The Bachelor was his number one goal since day one. He surely knew there was no chance in hell Andi would pack up and move to a farm in the middle of nowhere. He even acknowledged how difficult it would be for her several times. He was only there to make himself seem perfect for the job. Hence the "romantic" letters and planes.

Edited by MsPH
  • Love 3

I have to admit, such a contest to see which woman could best channel her inner Mary Ann would be worth the price of admission, especially if we get 25 women whose idea of "roughing it" is staying at a Motel 6 and who think that cows just lay milk in bottles.

• Love 4

I actually find Chris kind of hard to look at with that big head of his, maybe they will give him a makeover? I am bummed it's not Arie, he has the personality to pull it off. Afraid there will be a lot of cornball crap to try to keep Chris's season entertaining.

• Love 1

I could not watch if it were Arie.  Even Fleiss couldn't package him as someone sincerely wanting to settle down, I don't think.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I don't think Arie's manwhore reputation and many questioning his being ready to settle down would have been that big of a deal only because there are very few of the Bachelors I've believed were seriously looking for a wife. I doubt Arie would have been any worse than say Bob or that Prince Lorenzo guy or Jesse Palmer, Charlie O'Connell, etc. And well of course Juan Pablo.

• Love 3

The only thing I didn't like about Arie was seeing him and his family talk about Emily in Dutch right in front of her.  That struck me as extremely rude, and I always felt that it would have been funny for Emily to suddenly join in the conversation in fluent Dutch after a few minutes.  Pity she didn't speak a word of it.

• Love 3

Marquel seems too content to settle for friendship--not what they're looking for in TB candidates. As Chris Harrison said at TMTA, he could have tried to kiss Andi instead of waiting for her to. On BiP, Mad Hot Michelle Money chose him for her date, and it turned out to be the most platonic outing of the week.