Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Andi Meets The Parents

• Start Topic

Interesting... I had never thought about how the roses got attached but it's true, it doesn't make 'real world' sense! 

So she puts the magnet on the back side as well?  I was thinking what if production attached the back magnets in advance?  How awkward would that be? (in case rose ceremonies weren't already awkward enough)

Lol. I was thinking the exact same thing about the boutonnieres this episode. She pressed it on and voilà! I also was trying to figure out how it worked and came to the hypothesis that the men must already have a magnet behind their jacket lapel. But i wonder whether there are any outtakes in which she misses and the rose falls to the ground.

So she puts the magnet on the back side as well?  I was thinking what if production attached the back magnets in advance?  How awkward would that be? (in case rose ceremonies weren't already awkward enough)

That would't work - a magnet needs something magnetic to stick to, so both the front and back magnets need to be attached at the same time.

(edited)

IMHO, part of the reason Andi looks so awkward holding the roses is how HIGH she holds them.  SHe keeps her arms tight to her side and then holds the rose up just under her chin.  If you google other bachelorettes and rose ceremony, they hold the rose more casually, lower, with their arms more relaxed.  Some held them up high, but they appear to have relaxed as the season went on.  Here are some pics for comparison: 

Andi (pic halfway down page)

Emily (pic 3/4s way down page)

Ashley, episode 3 (right at the top in the video) and episode 7 (way down at the bottom)

Edited because of course the links didn't work well...

Edited by fib
  • Love 3
(edited)

But, gathering everyone at Chris' house for hummus and "hey, Eric's dead" is one thing.  Deciding to film it is another thing.

The alternative wasn't to just ignore the whole thing.

They've already acknowledged what happened to Eric.  They could've very easily just inserted a taped segment from Chris explaining that the day before this RC they all learned that Eric had died, and that the news obviously had an emotional impact on the RC.

This! I have never thought to myself, upon receiving news of a death of a friend or family member, "now, if only there were cameras around to catch my reaction!"

Edited by BC Mama

But why wouldn't they just go to the mansion? The crew knows how to set up there very quickly and they ended up shooting there the next day anyway. I just think CH had some renovations done at his house and he can write part of it off now as a business expense.

That property is probably being rented constantly for weddings and corporate events and did not happen to be available that day.

I just assumed they were sanitizing the place between seasons!

• Love 4
I've always wondered whether the producers get "set people" into the family's house ahead of the visit to "stage" it and make sure it looks nice for the cameras.  Because every house we go to seems just so perfectly decorated and appointed.  Or maybe my house is just an anomaly?

If I remember correctly (from some behind the scenes info from... somewhere?), sometimes the house itself does not belong to anyone in the family. The family may object to their real home being shown, or production might not like it for practical and/or aesthetic reasons. But I'm sure that even in the actual homes (like Nick's family's looked legit), they still do the Bachelor Decorating Thing. Graphic, colorful throw pillows. Candles. Flowers. More candles. Blankets. A few more candles. More pillows! A bistro table set on the patio. Etc. 

• Love 2

NOTE FROM THE MOD:  Please remember it is completely possible to disagree with someone's opinion or snark without sounding like a dick or insulting them and others.  We're adults here, not snippy teenagers in the high school lunchroom.  State your own opinion, make it clear that it is your own opinion, not necessarily the only way to look at an issue, respectfully and calmly say why you disagree with someone. Don't call them names or critique them because their level of "investment" in the show is different than yours.  A well-placed YMMV can do wonders for the tone of a post.  It's not that difficult, really.  

I deleted the last two posts for tone issues.  No warnings  . . . . YET!  Thank you.

(edited)

If I remember correctly (from some behind the scenes info from... somewhere?), sometimes the house itself does not belong to anyone in the family.

Yup - the first time this was evident was during I think Matt's season, where Noelle the Photographer's 'house' in Loveland Colorado was a recognizable resort, which announced their participation in the local press.  It came out shortly thereafter that her family's home was a perfectly nice small, working class home.  I'm not sure who pulled the plug, Noelle's family or the show, but in a lot of homes, there wouldn't be room to set up lights and cameras.  I think that's one of the reasons a lot of the meals are done outside - there's often a lot more room for the show to work with and maintain 1st class production values, or the homes look like McMansions, which do probably have enough room for the show to work with. 

Edited by fib

But I'm sure that even in the actual homes (like Nick's family's looked legit), they still do the Bachelor Decorating Thing. Graphic, colorful throw pillows. Candles. Flowers. More candles. Blankets. A few more candles. More pillows! A bistro table set on the patio. Etc. 

I THINK it was Nick's house, they were in one room and you could see it open into another room, and on the table in the other room was the EXACT SAME candle holder I've seen in various talking heads, etc. It's a long, rectagular wooden holder with four or so tealight candles in glass.

I wonder if the family gets to keep any of the staging stuff--pillows, candles, etc?  I mean, if what you said is correct @JenE4 (and I have no reason to doubt it), then obviously they do recycle some pieces.  But it would be kinda nice if they actually left something behind with these people for their trouble.

And I absolutely did not know about the "borrowing a house" thing, but I don't know why I'm surprised.  I watch House Hunters, after all.

Sharleen finally recapped this episode. I loved the fact that she was basically like "yeah I'm in Paris so ain't nobody got time to be sitting in front of a computer writing a recap". As usual I agreed with most of what she said and was cracking up at so many parts - basically her whole recap of Marcus' hometown date and her loving Chris' drunk mother.

http://www.alltheprettypandas.com/recaps/episode8#comments-53bea318e4b01539a52a5ee7=

Thanks so much for Sharleen's recap, truthaboutluv. I've been checking for it and gave up. (Hey, Sharleen! I don't care if you're in Paris! There's no "vacation" for recappers/bloggers while a season is still in progress! -jk)

I really appreciate her continued championing of Nick, especially as I think he's been edited badly, is misjudging Andi and is probably heading for a fall in the FRC. Being trashed on the internet on top of that would feel horrible, but Sharleen has always been in his corner. After the hometown dates--where he was so likeable and seemed very genuine to me--I definitely see what she's been seeing. Really like her blog, too, with screencaps and fairly minimal (but just enough!) text. I really liked what she said about not getting the criticisms of Nick and finally deciding that "the people who don't like him probably didn't like me either", including how they find him "creepy" and called her "awkward" and "weird".  

That kind of self awareness doesn't happen much in Bachelor-World! I hope Nick will experience some post-Bachelor popularity like Sharleen did (even though she had a pretty big fan base during the season--for reasons obvious in her blog--and I don't think he has). Looking forward to her recap of FRC because she'll be very kind to the loser (and whoever it is, is going to be devastated. They are both madly in love with Andi, imo--beyond what I can remember in the past--both believe they are definitely F1. I don't understand how she doesn't seem at all worried about it, but, anyway, glad Sharleen will be recapping it. )