Type keyword(s) to search

S18.04: The Ultimate Upcycle

• Start Topic

On 1/3/2020 at 4:45 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was cracking up at every shot of Karla the stylist standing next to Karlie. I know we get the same height difference every week with Christian and Karlie but it still made me laugh every time.

I just keep thinking of a Harry Nilsson song called "Jesus Christ You're Tall".

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, auntlada said:

I think he made an outfit he thought would be worn by stodgy women trying to fit in with what he thinks of as classy, good people...

I'll take this a step further and say he designed an outfit that Ivanka Kushner wears/has worn/would wear/was in her "fashion" line.   It is totally the silhouette and style she was wearing in 2016.

I did not see the beginning and was mystified why no one used color, and why everyone went with jeans or suit jackets/pants.  I thought for sure they gave them piles of men's clothing and told them to redesign for women.  Now that I know they went to a Goodwill, I am even more mystified!!!  They have dresses and skirts and blouses - in all colors - at Goodwill.  Why did they limit themselves to suits and jeans?  I think it was Nancy that used a pink top, but even that was a buttondown. 

I pretty much hated everything on the runway, and am very disappointed int his season after such a promising start last season.

• Love 13
On 1/2/2020 at 10:36 PM, Nidratime said:

Kushner's brother, who actually is better looking than Jared, but that's beside the point. In any event, the family didn't approve and wouldn't accept her for a long time. To be honest, to be shunned by that family would be an honor.

So, not only did I not know Karlie  was married to a Kushner, in my head she has been Taylor Swift’s girlfriend for years! So I was surprised to think the ladies were hanging with the Kushners... 

Consider me corrected, although my Imaginary tabloid world is probably more fun than reality.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I agree.  All of the garments she has sent down the runway have been identical.  It is all she can do.  If they get a real red carpet challenge, she'll be toast.

If they get their fabric at Good Will, do the garments get cleaned first?  My impression of Good Wills are that the garments get donated, they put them on hangars, and then they are sold.  I clean everything I get there before using.

And, since I am the only person who seems to remember:  Heidi Klum had the original idea for the show, got it developed, got sponsors, and got it on the air.  

I also wondered about whether or not the clothing was clean.  I think that places like Goodwill do clean their clothes before they sell them.

You're not the only one who remembers that Project Runway was Heidi Klum's baby.  I don't have a lot of respect for her but PR was her brainchild and she deserves props for that.

• Love 7

It was mentioned that Tyler does drag. I have a couple friends who do drag and it’s amazing how they are truly transformed when in drag — it’s truly like two separate people. 

I think Tyler is used to being on stage / in front of cameras as his drag persona, and kind of forgot that he is Just Tyler in this environment. His comment in the Christmas episode when he said something like “You’ve roasted me like a Christmas ham” was what made me think this. That’s totally a line a drag queen would use in a performance. 

...or maybe I’m giving him too much credit and he’s just a bitch. 😉

He’s young and obviously has a lot of growing up to do. He will probably look back on this and cringe at his behavior. 

...Btw he is also too young for all the Botox in his forehead. I know he’s going for “perched,” but it makes him look like a creepy doll. (and I say this with love as a man in the second half of my 30s who gets Botox). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I mentioned hearing this in an earlier comment-- what does this mean? I'm clueless.

Think the guy in the New Yorker logo (who has a name - Eustace Tilley). It’s kind of nose up, pinky up. Snobby. (and I don’t think he quite pulls it off IMO)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Even if I had a body like a supermodel I would never wear this.

nup-187539-1334-jpg-1578079816.jpg.09105974c98b8bff33f6c8d5fbfda572.jpg

She will look ridiculous if she actually wears this as is to the function in Paris.  It’s dated, deconstruction has been around forever.  None of them were any good.  I’m surprised there weren’t more interesting patterns.  At a second hand store there are all kinds of prints.  They all played it pretty safe.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

It’s been well documented that there is friction between the Kushners and Kloss.  

Article

I’ve never seen pictures of the younger Kushner. He’s a lot better looking than Jared who is creepy as fuck.   So is the father, a greedy corrupt real estate builder.  

IS the reason she was so annoyed is because the in-laws don’t like her?  

• Love 2

I love Laverne Cox as a judge! She was insightful, critical without being mean, and offered suggestions on even the designs she didn't like.

Bring her back! Or even better, have her be the client for a challenge.

• Love 24
5 hours ago, izabella said:

I'll take this a step further and say he designed an outfit that Ivanka Kushner wears/has worn/would wear/was in her "fashion" line.   It is totally the silhouette and style she was wearing in 2016.

That's exactly what he did, and I think he did it on purpose and had that comment planned to use if he was criticized. It was a cruel, intensely personal jab at Karlie to remind her of being the victim of future in-laws who publicly insulted her and banned her from family functions for years while they welcomed Ivanka with open arms.

Even if his design hadn't sucked, he would have deserved elimination for his shitty, unprofessional behavior. And the non-apology at the end didn't help him look any better.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, meep.meep said:

And, since I am the only person who seems to remember:  Heidi Klum had the original idea for the show, got it developed, got sponsors, and got it on the air.  

No one remembers Heidi creating and developing the show because she didn't! Heidi didn't create Project Runway; Eli Holzman did (before Project Runway, he created Project Greenlight also for Miramax Television). Jane Cha, Sara Rea, Barbara Schneeweiss, and Desiree Gruber were primarily tasked with operationalizing the idea. A creator gets a creator credit that survives their tenure with the show. Heidi doesn't have one.

https://www.eonline.com/news/44416/bravo-gets-greenlight

Scott Dunlop created the Real Housewives. I don't think he worked on a single second of any Housewives show since the initial pitch for Real Housewives (Behind the Gates). He has continued to get a creator credit on EVERY Housewives show including the foreign ones. Jeff Davis created Criminal Minds, but was famously pushed out after a year. He still has a creator credit. The same goes for Whitney Sudler-Smith who created Southern Charm. He has a creator/developer credit for Southern Charm and its spin-offs. He had an executive producer credit for Southern Charm that gave him absolutely no authority over the production, which is why he was so frequently depicted as a buffoon on the show. Tyra Banks came up with the idea for America's Next Top Model; she has a creator credit for the show, the international versions, and Germany's Next Top Model, which Heidi hosts and is an executive producer. Tyra didn't really know how to operationalize her Top Model idea so she went to her childhood friend Kenya Barris (creator of Black-ish) for help. At some point Barris engaged Ken Mok for assistance. Barris has a scripted TV background whereas Mok is from reality TV. Barris and Mok are credited as the developers.

7 hours ago, meep.meep said:

If they get their fabric at Good Will, do the garments get cleaned first?  My impression of Good Wills are that the garments get donated, they put them on hangars, and then they are sold.  I clean everything I get there before using.

I worked there between high school and college a million years ago. Anything actually dirty and smelly ends up as bale or in the trash. Higher end goods are flagged as being high enough quality for an auction or GW Boutique. It's possible that something with a high enough value would be cleaned, but for the most part nothing is cleaned.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 10
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

No one remembers Heidi creating and developing the show because she didn't! Heidi didn't create Project Runway; Eli Holzman did (before Project Runway, he created Project Greenlight also for Miramax Television). Jane Cha, Sara Rea, Barbara Schneeweiss, and Desiree Gruber were primarily tasked with operationalizing the idea. A creator gets a creator credit that survives their tenure with the show. Heidi doesn't have one.

Coincidentally I was just thinking the other night about how Project Runway has survived and is now on its 18th season but its predecessor Project Greenlight lasted only three seasons (and one attempted revival).

My God, so much fug this episode! They could have just as easily sent them to a Men’s Warehouse trash bin since they all picked suits! So boring! I am so tired already of the judges fawning over Victoria. I hate every single thing she has made, and this week was no exception - that was the ugliest frankenstein excuse for a dress. I hated it!  

Why are there so many designers doing these mismatched blocky asymmetrical pieces this season? I do not like the look of that at all and so many of them are doing it!

I guess if I had to pick something I liked this episode, then I would choose Brittney and Geoffrey. At least they made something completely new that was unrecognizable from the original garment. I guess Tyler did too, but his looked cheap and dated, and the styling was atrocious. His model’s shoes made me cringe. His bitchy dig at Karli’s in-laws was the one good thing about this episode.

This episode proves why one day challenges are terrible - look at all the uninspired, barely reinvented crap that went down that runway. For the love of Michael Kors, Bravo, please don’t go the way of Lifetime!

• Love 16
7 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Why are there so many designers doing these mismatched blocky asymmetrical pieces this season? I do not like the look of that at all and so many of them are doing it!

If you do an asymmetrical hem, it’s easier to hide imperfections. If you are aiming for a nice, clean, even hem and it’s done poorly, it’s noticeable.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Lemons said:

IS the reason she was so annoyed is because the in-laws don’t like her?  

No, probably just because she’s trying to keep her personal life private, esp. with the connection to the Trump-Kushners.  And Tyler made the remark with such a bitchy tone.

• Love 4

I was walking the dog this morning, and we came across a bag of what looked like leftover french fries that someone had left on a planter ledge. Fortunately, it was too high for my dog to get (he's a dachshund), but I have to watch him like a hawk because he will eat anything he finds. And all this brought to mind that breakfast scene between Sergio and Tyler. OMG! Did you see the size of the bites Tyler was taking!!! I didn't know how he could chew and swallow it without choking on it. 

Edited by carrps
stupid misspelling
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

If you do an asymmetrical hem, it’s easier to hide imperfections. If you are aiming for a nice, clean, even hem and it’s done poorly, it’s noticeable.

Yet another reason one day challenges are crap. And yet, it mostly just seems like a design choice for a lot of these designers. 
I went back and looked at the photos from all of the episodes so far, and Melanie, Brittany and Victoria are the worst offenders, but Marquise, Shavi and Dayoung have all done it as well, with Marquise actually winning with that weird skort/short thing. Overall it’s messy, disjointed and inelegant. I am not a fan of that style at all.

Edited by Ilovepie
  • Love 7

At least it was a full day to design/sew. On Lifetime, the one day challenge was: 1. Get challenge brief. 2. Go to Mood/Goodwill/Dump for materials. 3. Rest of day to work. So, maybe from noon-midnight (if they were lucky). This crew was up bright and early to start work. 

• Love 4

Maybe they all went suit, boring colours because of Karla’s advice?  I think she said Karlie doesn’t like to show off her legs, but the winning outfit did.

Also, maybe editing, but I didn’t like that Karla seemed to be giving Nancy positive feedback but then later said to Christian that she was worried it would be a hot mess.

I’m glad I never watched Under the Gunn, my Tim Gunn love is intact.

• Love 5

As almost our entire wardrobes these days come from the thrift shops, DD and I were hoping for some insight on making thrift store clothes look more interesting, but none was to be found.  We wished they'd shown the original outfits alongside the final runway product.

I guess I'm the only one who was pissed by Tyler's stages of grief.  Buddy, it's a reality show.  Experience some true loss in your life before you go to the levels of grief.

Am I also the only one who looked at Karla and saw Julie Andrews as Victor?

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
On 1/4/2020 at 4:55 AM, lu1535 said:

I'm sorry but all I could think was, the 90's are back? Shout out to Kris Kross!

050213-fashion-kriss-kross.jpg

pr.JPG

This was a trend in my small Cape Cod high school in 1982-83.  And some of it continued in my college experience.  We used to wear shirts and sweaters backwards with  strands of pearls running down our backs.  1983, such a good year!

Oh, and not a soul would wear Tyler's look on Cape Cod.

Edited by PDXlulu
edited to add Tyler comment.
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

can you really ever get the smell out of used jeans? 😒

I was just catching up on my filing*
came across an article I had cut out of the newspaper* 
about how to clean vintage garments*
they recommend hanging them in the sun*

(* The old days just called, they want me back.)

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Am I also the only one who looked at Karla and saw Julie Andrews as Victor?

Indeed. All I could wonder is: "how often do you have to get your hair cut to keep it so impossibly neat?" 🙂

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 8:33 PM, hoosiermommy said:

Yes, Under The Gunn. I don’t remember her name, but I can’t even listen to Tim Gunn on Sophia the First wi hour getting upset. He lost ALL credibility with that BS.

I've been following her on Facebook ever since and the good news is she seems to be doing great. I really lost faith in Tim after that show. It was a huge mistake for him.

On this show, I thought Nancy's look was overly blah to win. It just felt more like fashion forward Little House on the Prairie to me. I think may be a shorter skirt? and if she'd taken the shirt apart and made it into something?

I also liked the jean pants look but thought she should have gone with a simple top in a different fabric. Too much denim.

• Love 5
On 1/2/2020 at 10:29 PM, BusyOctober said:

I’m still watching...recorded so I can FF thru ads.  I just had to jump on here to say that was the neatest, cleanest, most organized Good Will store I have ever seen!  My guess is some PA’s and junior assistants to the PA’s were sent to a real Good Will to load up a truck with racks of stuff, then set up “the store” <<wink wink>> in some recently vacated retail space.  

The vibe of the store stood out to me too.  I wondered if it was a clothing only location, not all departments?   Then I noticed when the designers were hauling their wares into the workroom the bags all said Curated.  I took that to mean that location was a curated store where they sell the "cream of the crop" donations and probably charge more than the run of the mill Goodwill  location.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 1/3/2020 at 4:54 AM, Sesquipedalia said:

Yes, all this made me want him to not go home even though I thought his design was the worst because his model couldn't move.

None of the top three were Paris-worthy. Tyler knew he was going home, so good on him for getting in a dig at the Kushners.

I forgave the fit issue because I knew why it happened.  He was stuck when he accidentally tore that fabric so late in the day with not much option for recovery.  IMO he was the only one who used the blazers in the spirit of the challenge. 

I thought it stunk that they chose a winner who flagrantly went against the specific intent of the challenge -- don't simply alter a garment, rework it.  When they've committed to Karlie wearing the winning look to a specific event they either don't follow through on that part of the win or they overlook the specific mandate they gave the designers.

The sea of blazer and suiting material walking that runway was one reason for me to give the denim looks slightly higher scores for thinking more out of the box.  There was no way they'd win however because no way was Karlie wearing them to the designated event.           

• Love 4

I thought Nancy's skirt was dowdy.  On the other hand I liked the jeans outfit and the reason Chelsy made it was because Karli had specifically complimented her on the flowy pants she was wearing.  I think if she had made the top out of some other fabric she might have been more in consideration for the win.  (But I just kept thinking about the jeans I used to wear in the 70s and 80s and how loud they were shwooshing down the hall - almost like a flapping sound...LOL!)  I too am sick of the asymetrical hems (probably screwed up the spelling on that) - you've seen one you've seen them all! 

• Love 6
On 1/3/2020 at 3:00 PM, Aulty said:

There was a rumor a few months ago that this is going to be the last season of PR because Karlie was too busy with other stuff. Back then I was wodering whether those rumors were planted to give someone an edge for contract negotiatons. Maybe the producer's decision to broadcast that Kushner comment had something to do with it too?

On another note: the models this week weren't great walkers, were they?

I sure don't want to lose the show   I don't want it to be focused on nasty, drummed up personality drama editing either.

If Karlie's too busy she can be replaced. If they can replace Tim Gunn and Michael Kors, they can replace anyone.  I think Christian is doing a great job.  I'm meh on Elaine, sometimes she's okay, sometimes I find her kind of ridiculous.  

• Love 9

I swear I'll never understand how the judges go gaga over a particular outfit. All I saw with Victoria's outfit was an asymmetrical jacket with some cutout thingamabobs. How is that fashion forward? Weren't women wearing suit jackets and high heels in some past era for fashion? Just last season in one of the 90 Day Fiancee shows one of the people put on a suit jacket with thigh high boots. I like Victoria, she's got amazing hair but I dont get why the judges are all nutty about her. I liked Nancy's because it brought a pretty pop of color and the skirt was cute.

I adore Christian. Always have and even more now.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

How is that fashion forward? Weren't women wearing suit jackets and high heels in some past era for fashion?

Late 80's and early 90's...suit jackets (don't forget the shoulder pads!) and heels were the thing to wear.  See:  Janet Jackson, "Miss Jackson if you're nasty..."

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Victoria, she's got amazing hair but I dont get why the judges are all nutty about her.

I feel like every season there is one that the judges love and all the viewers hate. Last season it was Hester Sunshine. It feels very Emperor's New Clothes to me, but I am resigned to seeing Victoria's blocky oversexed cutout dresses until the finals..........

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I feel like every season there is one that the judges love and all the viewers hate. Last season it was Hester Sunshine. It feels very Emperor's New Clothes to me, but I am resigned to seeing Victoria's blocky oversexed cutout dresses until the finals..........

Until she suddenly becomes "one note" or Nina starts to question her taste level...

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
On 1/4/2020 at 7:56 PM, nb360 said:

I love Laverne Cox as a judge! She was insightful, critical without being mean, and offered suggestions on even the designs she didn't like.

Bring her back! Or even better, have her be the client for a challenge.

Even better have her replace one of the other two judges and/or Karli as the host. 

I don't understand or like the stair-step asymmetrical hem. They all had them this episode. They're not good. 

• Love 4
On 1/2/2020 at 9:52 PM, Emmeline said:

Wow, Kalie Kloss seemed to flip her lid when Tyler brought up the Kushners, wonder why?

Isn't the story that she was lovers with Swift and this marriage is the usual pitch for "respectability" and money, of course.

• Love 1

I don't even mind that some of the looks harkened back to another era.  After all, isn't that what fayshun has done and done and done?  I agree with all who were unimpressed with the offerings.  

Can we please have two day challenges, with brand new fabrics having been chosen after a sketch is done?  I don't care what goofy "inspiration" you use, but please, enough of the clothing from junk, decorations, pre-owned schmattas, and the like.

I wanna see brand new stuff.  I want to see what these folks are made of, and by that I mean, what are their skills, what is their signature.  I don't care so much how they conduct their lives outside of this competition.  A little of that at the end with the finalists is fine. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

Even better have her replace one of the other two judges and/or Karli as the host. 

I don't understand or like the stair-step asymmetrical hem. They all had them this episode. They're not good. 

Since that detail was on the pant leg of the winning look of the first competition it keeps appearing.  It was very unappealing on the skirt this episode.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2020 at 10:49 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

This model looks like Bambi walking for the first time.  Really, a deer in the headlights.

I don't understand why the models all had to have a Karlie body AND BLONDE HAIR ON TOP OF IT.

What kind of limited IQ Karlie must have that she cannot picture herself in designs unless the model looks like her?  I found the whole thing very annoying, especially when the designers and Christian fawned "Karlie, Karlie, Karlie" at the models.  Ughhhh!!!

Meanwhile if the models all resembled Queen Latifah or Salma Hayek or Alek Wek or someone non-white and non-stick thin and non 6 feet THEN I could get on board.  It's just that soooooo many models are already Karlie's type it was so annoying to have everyone act like it was some amazing thing.

The garments wouldn't be able to be exactly duplicated because they were being constructed from Goodwill items.  Since Karlie was wearing the winning look to an event the garments have to fit her, therefore the models had to have her physique.

I thought it was completely ridiculous that the time to sketch was in the vans -- very dismissive of the process.  The stunts and the one day challenges are so Lifetime.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Can we please have two day challenges, with brand new fabrics having been chosen after a sketch is done?  I don't care what goofy "inspiration" you use, but please, enough of the clothing from junk, decorations, pre-owned schmattas, and the like.

I liked the idea of Up-cycling, but I think they should have given them more time not less for this because it's probably more work to take apart an existing garment than using new bolts of fabric.

As it was, there was less time and we see what garbage they were able to produce in the time given. Many were just repurposed rather than making something new. I think that's why so many went for the jackets.

• Love 8
On 1/4/2020 at 9:27 AM, Mondrianyone said:

I would like to know one bit of knowledge that Sergio possesses that nobody else does, a pearl of unmatched wisdom that would die along with him if he didn't share it.  Just one.

Well, he gave one in that episode. A pair of black/navy palazzo pants would have been a better choice for that tacky little top than the tacky little uniform skirt that Tyler sewed onto it.

I truly saw no intent to sabotage there at all by Sergio, who knows his onions, even if he's a bit arrogant about his abilities as a designer. The only person who sabotaged Tyler was Tyler himself.

----------

I am wondering if some here have had Tyler confused with Alan? I have just binge-watched the first four episodes to catch up with the show, and I saw very little of Tyler  prior to this episode, and when he was fucking up his outfit further in the Christmas materials challenge. Reading the last three episodes' threads, I am bemused at the Tyler love. He sometimes wore a hat like Alan's. It was Alan who did 99% of the witty talking heads, not Tyler, who made one dull remark I have forgotten - I think it was a negative remark about Sergio, and as Sergio seems to have been declared the season's horror villain c/- his arrogance, I guess that gave Tyler an enormous tick in many people's books? 

Sadly, he did not provide the goods, design-wise, and was in the bottom, three times in a row. And for good reason. He should have gone home the week before instead of Alan, who had some creative flair, and at least tried to take direction and criticism on board and make some changes to his designs, often to his design's detriment, and was good fun. I will always remember him for his response of utter joy outside the workroom with Dayoung, that they were there, with that amazing view.

Tyler had an inflated sense of his own worth and abilities, and the fact he said that he stood behind that tacky piece of shit says it all. Here's a tip! Just saying something and/or believing something does not make it so. He gave Karlie a nasty dig in a kneejerk response of rage at being harshly criticized, and then he declared he was a professional and therefore he hadn't meant that, as he was leaving. No-one on the panel bought it. I have never seen such a stiff and reluctant goodbye from Karlie. And then the little twerp honestly thought that Christian would waste his one season save on him! Delusional.

To end on a positive note, I did enjoy watching him apply his makeup with a sponge to the undereye area, pre-challenge last week. Love a nicely applied foundation, and always interested in others' ways of doing it.

• Love 2
On 1/2/2020 at 11:46 PM, mightysparrow said:

ergio's disdain of the self-taught is more a reflection on him than on them.  It's unfortunate that his extensive training didn't teach him a little grace or class. 

My experience with this type of scenario is that Sergio is extremely insecure or simply lacking in talent.  I remember talking to a recent graduate who was heading to law school.  There was another attorney present.  I told the student not to be psyched out, that law school is easy, it's basically reading comprehension and memorizing rules.  Very little analytical thinking.  The other attorney smugly said, maybe at your school, but not hers.  (I had attended a much higher ranked law school.)  She was vested in the "law school is so hard" shtick because she was simply dumb.  She failed to pass the bar six times (last I heard). 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
20 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

Tyler's look struck me almost as office wear. Like something Miranda Priestly's second assistant would wear.

That look would be cut to ribbons by Miranda's mere presence as the elevator reached their floor.

• LOL 5

This quote from the article linked above validates those of us who thought Tyler had his dig planned and that he deliberately made an "Ivanka" outfit - at least the way I read it:

Neasloney then went on to reveal that since the episode aired, he’s felt “misunderstood.”

“That’s what is bothersome about some of the coverage, both press and Twitter, is a lot of people are treating it as this non sequitur,” he told The Daily Dish. “It was non sequitur; it was entirely related to the aesthetic of the look.”

I assume he meant "not" a non sequitur," i.e. it was exactly what he meant to say and it was all about his "design." What a jerk.

• Love 6