Type keyword(s) to search

S18.04: The Ultimate Upcycle

• Start Topic

I also did not appreciate the gasps of shock when Nancy revealed her age on the runway.

I thought Nancy could have handled the situation a bit better. She was ingratiating and kind of pandered to the moment. It felt a little desperate to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

The one guy who has conversations with himself mentioned probably the one designer I've recognized on the show in a while--Gordon Gartrelle!

"Maybe if you tuck it in a little..."

"It's tucked into my socks!"

• LOL 15
  • Love 9

When Sergio first said he was worried about the self taught designers I thought he meant it as, if the self taught designers are good enough to get in the same show as his professionally trained ass then he needs to watch out for them! Silly me. He actually meant they should be worried they're not trained and they're in competition with his perfect self. 

I HATED the jeans outfit. I mean, LOATHED it. I do like Chelsea though. And love all her glasses (I'm an optician). 

I was really underwelmed with this runway. I didn't really like any of it. I'm surprised Tyler was in bottom 3 though. His wasn't that bad compared to some of the others. He should have been safe. 

Edited by Samwise979
  • Love 12

I just remembered Nancy's awe at the tiny waist size of her model.  "I must have measured her wrong!"  Made me laugh.

2 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

I never understood this. I say everything but you're welcome. Sorry not sorry. Too me it sounds so stuffy and condescending especially if it's something that really isn't any trouble or a part of my job description or what have you. And even more so as a worker because in my mind I'm thinking along the lines of it's entitlement you have as a customer so "you're welcome", to me, suggests I've provided you with something I didn't necessarily have to and that just simply isn't the case in a work situation.  

My go to at work is "of course, that's why I'm here."  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I just remembered Nancy's awe at the tiny waist size of her model.  "I must have measured her wrong!"  Made me laugh.

Me too! I had a 23 inch waist once upon a time. Though I'm nowhere near as tall as Karlie.  Couldn't get that waistband of Nancy's anywhere near my waist these days.

30 minutes ago, Snewtsie said:

She married into a notorious family which has never embraced her as being good enough for them.

Which is hilarious since I don't think Karlie has ever done time in prison. Unlike at least one of her in laws.

I say "no problem!" all the time. Sometimes I shorten it to a jaunty "no prob!"

Has there ever been a winner who didn't go to fashion/art/design school?

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 13

Wow.  That was completely underwhelming.  I didn't think Tyler's was the worst, but he's been consistently bad all along, so I'm okay with his ousting.  Victoria's wouldn't have been in the top three if I'd been deciding - I thought it was a hot mess, actually. - but I'm coming up empty on who I thought should've won, so whatevs.

I didn't like anything on that runway.  It showed a complete lack of creativity to me, so many looks interchangeable and forgettable.  Kind of a metaphor for this season, alas.

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, ElTVaddict said:

Tyler was eliminated because he mentioned her family.

I assumed Tyler was going to go when I saw his outfit on the runway, and pretty much knew when he landed in the bottom three, so I don't think that was the reason at all. He'd been at the bottom more consistently than any designer there so far, and hadn't assimilated any of the judges' feedback.

• Love 14
14 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I’m still watching...recorded so I can FF thru ads.  I just had to jump on here to say that was the neatest, cleanest, most organized Good Will store I have ever seen!  My guess is some PA’s and junior assistants to the PA’s were sent to a real Good Will to load up a truck with racks of stuff, then set up “the store” <<wink wink>> in some recently vacated retail space

I kept freeze-framing to see the background but I'm sure that is the Goodwill in downtown Brooklyn not too far from their workspace; it is neat and spacious.

• Useful 3
7 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I was today years old when I learned that there are different schools of thought re: how you should acknowledge people who thank you. I mean, I do sometimes think being thanked for doing the job I'm paid to do is unnecessary (to quote Don Draper, that's what the money is for), but I'm never going to complain about it because it's just someone trying to be nice. (And there are times when "thanks" in email form from someone higher up the food chain means "do what I say" and isn't actually thanking anyone for anything. "Please use the correct TPS report cover sheet. Thanks.") I say "you're welcome," "sure," "no problem," "of course" in response to "thank you" and had no idea that people I was responding to might feel some type of way about it.

I know right? I wasn't today years old and knew this was a thing but I never understood it. Kinda comes across as a bit ungracious actually if you ask me. <shrug>

• Love 10

There have been a few viral tweets about Boomers hating Millennials' way of saying "No problem" in service roles.  To me it's kind of classist, to be honest.  A lot of people in service roles get paid minimum wage, and it's kind of disgusting to pick apart how they respond to you saying thank you.  I agree that it is a sense of entitlement that allows people to demand a certain response, especially from service workers.  "No problem" is colloquial, kind, and not to be taken personally (IMO).

If you Google "thank you no problem Boomers Millennials" you'll see lots of articles about the topic.  Even from linguists, etc.

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/tim-chitwood/article237462144.html

https://didyouknowfacts.com/why-young-people-say-no-problem-instead-of-youre-welcome-and-why-older-people-hate-it/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 7
  • Love 8

I thought Karlie's reaction to Tyler was very boss. She simply reminded him that the challenge was 'her going to Paris' not going to dinner or Cape Cod. Why would he cover her up like in that washboard turtleneck like she's 60 years old?

Interesting that they didn't show Christian mentoring Victoria. She was so proud to show any and every one how she used the pant legs to make the jacket sleeves. I'm sure he would find that not very original, lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Please, if there is a Project Runway God listening:  Can we have a self-taught designer win the whole thing this season? 

Wasn't that Anya from Trinidad? But heh, she didn't self-teach herself how to sew.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4

There was a rumor a few months ago that this is going to be the last season of PR because Karlie was too busy with other stuff. Back then I was wodering whether those rumors were planted to give someone an edge for contract negotiatons. Maybe the producer's decision to broadcast that Kushner comment had something to do with it too?

On another note: the models this week weren't great walkers, were they?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Aulty said:

oh yeah! I noticed that also! Some of them looked very clunky, and not just the poor girl whose skirt was so tight that when they showed her silhouette at the screen, it looked like she was crossing her legs to keep from peeing!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I sure didn't miss Alan, even though I liked him - too much talk and too much show for my liking - and I don't think I'm going to miss Tyler either.  I kind of liked him, but he was way too fond of giving his opinions.  Now if Devlin can just get over himself with being too precious to scrounge through Christmas decorations and the Goodwill store before he gets eliminated too,  maybe I won't have to tell my TV to shut up so much.

I think the suits were a good base for creating new garments, but kind of wish fewer people had used them.  I think they probably had better fabric than some of the other items in the store.

Edited by Gloriosa
  • Love 5

I was rooting for Tyler to pull out a surprise top three, because of the "helpful"/sarcasm advice he was getting. (And also because he seemed like Tyler was genuinely helpful to others when he could be)

I had absolutely no idea about Karlie's personal life, so when Tyler made his remark I had a WTF moment on several levels. TBH, the only time I care is when it's directly related to a challenge (as in last season's Nina's story about wanting to get into fashion while she was still in Colombia) and even that's a bit of a stretch (don't remember the other judges). I agree that it was a desperate attempt of Tyler's to be bitchy-cute-bonding but it only shows a total lack of situational awareness. 

Christian said to him pointblank that Tyler kept ignoring his advice, so it was surprising (and sad) that Tyler expected to be the Siriano Save. The editors had some fun with that, drawing out the suspense as to whether Christian would blow his save on someone who's been clearly out of sync with the judges expectations.

I like Nancy, and I flove the fact that she graduated design school in her sixties and has been rocking it ever since. It was smart of her to avail herself of Carla's expertise, but I think she may have come off like she did last episode, when she was hammering away at the ornaments, unconcerned with how it was driving everyone else around her batty. I thought of the stylist's eyeroll to the camera as a response to that, and not that Carla had an attitude.

(I did appreciate that the stylist's suit was perfectly tailored for her)

There's a reason why I avoid Goodwill in NYC and only shop in the Goodwills in other states. Maybe the other Goodwills also have a sign that says "curated" like this one did, but the prices for clothing are actually kind of ridonk, sometimes twice as much as it is outside of NYC. Plus, anything with a recognizable label (better material) is either specially priced even higher, or already purchased by people who specifically haunt thrift shops for vintage or branded items for resale. At least they were given 45 minutes to shop.

The whole thing about designing on the car ride over--aside from the motion sickness thing (which I also share) --is what led to the multiple re-constructed jacket garments. Finding blazers/men's suits is about the one thing that one can count on --or jeans.

I hated the all denim outfit for this challenge. This to represent American design in Paris?  (The top was cute, though) Love her eyewear, praying that's the only design sensibility she shares with Miss Sunshine.

I did laugh that the representative of American design that won came from one of the most recently American designers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

the prices for clothing are actually kind of ridonk, sometimes twice as much as it is outside of NYC.

Yeah I did a double-take when the employee said the jeans were 19.95 (I think)? That's a lot for a used pair of "dungarees" (as my late grandfather would say).

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Aulty said:

There was one where I thought exactly this, that her walk was terrible. I can't remember who it was though. (There was another where I thought "Her breasts look amazing.")

• Love 2
17 hours ago, bencr said:

There is a meanness to this show that I just don't like, and I always feel a little tense after watching. That's all I have to say.

Were you a viewer back when Michael Kors was a judge? How about Isaac Mizrahi on Project Runway Allstars?  Now they were mean. Brandon Maxwell is a pretender. His comments sound like someone that is trying too hard to be the next Kors or Mizrahi. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

The Good: Karla Welch, my goodness what a breath of fresh, composed, put-together air compared to crazy Marnie and her ridiculous top knotted style (and skeletor face, IMHO). 

The Bad: No Swatch. *hopes for a trip to Mood next episode*

The Ugly: Most of the runway garments. I was shocked how much they liked the head to toe denim look. I still don't have a handle on the designers' names, so I will refrain from commenting except that I was not blown away by the runway. 

• Love 18
17 hours ago, breezy424 said:

Sorry.  She's married to a Kushner.  He's a long time democrat.   I don't think Tyler did anything wrong.  Like it or not, she's part of that family.  No need for the dagger eyes.

Wait.  There's a Melanie?   The blond.

Loved the stylist. 

Can't stand Sergio.

There were some pretty bad designs.

I wished Nancy won because......I just like her and her design was great and she's a woman who is 'older' and had the courage to start a new career.

You choose your spouse, not your in-laws.  Maybe Karli was smart enough to know that alienating a section of the audience by insinuating politics was unwise.  

Just think if you were judged based on your in-laws (or in this case in-law in-laws).  We don't know the entire Kushner family, we know two people who are public figures.  Maybe, all these people who are "politically correct" (Sergio's chiron description that practically has to be two lines long to describe his wokeness) could focus on, you know....fashion design?

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Somebody needs to tell Sergio he’s not the mentor, Christian is. 

I continue to be surprised at how disrespectful some of the contestants are of Christian. Even when he is consistently correct, they still doubt and challenge him. 

• Love 14
17 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I also like Dr. Couture, Delvin. He seems like he’s running as fast as he can from what he perceives as his trashy roots. He also apparently just likes working and being quiet with himself. I wasn’t fond of his look this time, but I like his personality. 

I can really understand this. When you come from poverty, it's not "fun" to play at being poor. It feels too much like tempting fate. One foot over the edge, and you're back in the trash.

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I didn't like Victoria's look at all. To me it looked like too many elements thrown together into one outfit. Do you really need a blazer with a belt with side cut outs with banded arms with an asymmetric skirt with mutton sleeve shoulders?

Yeah, Victoria's was another Big Fat No from me. Heh, the 80s show next week...made for her?

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There have been a few viral tweets about Boomers hating Millennials' way of saying "No problem" in service roles. 

Oh, I'm sure the commentators are using any old fodder they can find for the generation wars, but I'm a boomer, and I've always said "no problem." Rarely say "you're welcome." 

• Love 11

As a person whose horrific in-laws hated her guts, I kind of feel for Karlie on that front. Dinner with my in-laws or jumping in a frozen lake naked ten times? I go for the lake every single time.

Tyler's outfit was dull and not fashion. It was a sexy librarian outfit from an 80s video. It wasn't Martha's Vineyard or East Coast. And that wasn't the brief anyway. 

I truly want more Delvin talking heads because he's on to Sergio. 

I enjoy some of the designers, but I'm a bit sick of Victoria. She's getting too much air time to be interesting.

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's funny.  I prefer "No problem" over "You're welcome".  I think this is regional/cultural/generational or something, not sure.  I'm always thrown off when someone says "You're welcome" because I'm so used to hearing "No problem" or "Any time".   Why do I need to be told I'm welcome?  That's already assumed.  "No problem" is just a person trying to be nice as possible and it always tickles me when people get upset over it.

I think it's a bit much to pretend Karlie is some trapped victim in a marriage she was forced into.  There are pictures of her and "the Kushners" that can be easily Google'd.  She knew the family she was marrying into. 

I don’t like “no problem”.  If I say thank you to, say a server in a restaurant and they say”no problem” all I can think of is “what would make you think that I thought you doing your job would be a problem?”  

2 hours ago, Aulty said:

There was a rumor a few months ago that this is going to be the last season of PR because Karlie was too busy with other stuff. Back then I was wodering whether those rumors were planted to give someone an edge for contract negotiatons. Maybe the producer's decision to broadcast that Kushner comment had something to do with it too?

Why would they need Karlie for the show?  She is totally replaceable. No talent. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Which is hilarious since I don't think Karlie has ever done time in prison. Unlike at least one of her in laws.

Truly.  I feel for her.  These people are shockingly despicable.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Victoria just doesn’t like small people. Ok then. Isn’t she small?

Don't be mad at her for that.  At first I also thought she'd said "small people," but it was so odd that I rewound and read her lips (also had on closed caption).  What she really said was that she didn't like "slow people."  Which, being from NY, I sort of understand, although I've grown kinder about it over the years.  😴

15 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Yea, we sorta do.

The saying really only applies to our families.  

So you would choose not to marry someone you loved and who shared your values, not his family's, because of what other people in his life had done?  It might be an easier choice in some respects, but that's a big price to pay.

I would like to know one bit of knowledge that Sergio possesses that nobody else does, a pearl of unmatched wisdom that would die along with him if he didn't share it.  Just one.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, hoosiermommy said:

I try not to get upset when someone wishes me wellm even using words I wouldn't choose myself.

exactly. I agreed with the comment earlier that it can sound like you are saying "it's no problem to do my job." But that's not the intent, so in real life I just let it slide off. It wasn't meant as an insult or as a rude comment, so no need to take it as such. I'm old, so I say "you're welcome" with a smile 🙂

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

As I mentioned earlier, Anya couldn’t sew but she won her season. She did go to Parsons but she studied graphic and interior design (not fashion).

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I did a double-take when the employee said the jeans were 19.95 (I think)? That's a lot for a used pair of "dungarees" (as my late grandfather would say).

The men’s suits were $19.95 (one of the designers asked an employee how much the suits cost and they also showed a sign with the cost) which I thought was a pretty low price for a jacket and pants!

26 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Don't be mad at her for that.  At first I also thought she'd said "small people," but it was so odd that I rewound and read her lips (also had on closed caption).  What she really said was that she didn't like "slow people." 

She definitely said slow, not small. This was when she was mocking Dr. Couture by telling him that she had finished her outfit before he did. She then said she’s a fast worker and she doesn’t like slow people. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

The first one that comes to mind is Anya from Season 9. I will never understand how that happened.

• Love 7

I guess I’m in the minority because I loved Chelsea’s high waisted jeans. They would have looked great on any long legged model. I agree they seemed too casual for the event. However as Nina   said ( paraphrasing here) Denim is considered quintessential American. Nancy’s outfit was fun and flirty. I liked the sleeves on the winning design ( Victoria?) but am not a fan of asymmetric look. But her design seemed more appropriate for the occasion. 

• Love 10

I kind of liked Tyler's snarkiness in earlier episodes, but he lost me at the beginning of this episode with his "#justicefortyler" as he really seemed to believe he was much more talented than he is (he was lamenting the "costumy" comments from the judges).  He also rejected Christian's advice, so he lost me well before he thought he was making an oh so clever jab at the host of the show.  Which, no.  Rudeness for the sake of rudeness is...rude.

Like others, I did not like the all denim outfit for this challenge.  I am surprised that the challenge to make an outfit for Karlie was a one day only challenge as I would think they would want the contestants to be able to make outstanding designs/outfits to represent the show.

• Love 17

I wasn’t thrilled with Victoria’s winning look either, but when they showed the pics of Karli wearing it, with edgy hair and makeup, I got it.  I just wished they showed a bigger photo to give us a better look.

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, carrps said:

I thought the suits were $29.99? I thought I saw a sign with that amount on it.

yeah the suits were $29.99. I thought I saw the reference to jeans price but couldn't find it on rewatching.

And rewatching to check that I saw Tyler said he is "perpetually perched" whatever the hell that means.

11 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I wasn’t thrilled with Victoria’s winning look either, but when they showed the pics of Karli wearing it, with edgy hair and makeup, I got it.  I just wished they showed a bigger photo to give us a better look.

it seemed like the outfit Karli wore had more midriff showing 

• Love 1

Tyler's outfit belonged on someone in Cape Cod in 1977. Those ruffles were very dated, and there was nothing new or fashion forward about that outfit.

His mentioning her husband's family was just straight up bad form, especially considering their well known dislike of her.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I kind of liked Tyler's snarkiness in earlier episodes, but he lost me at the beginning of this episode with his "#justicefortyler" as he really seemed to believe he was much more talented than he is (he was lamenting the "costumy" comments from the judges).  He also rejected Christian's advice, so he lost me well before he thought he was making an oh so clever jab at the host of the show.  Which, no.  Rudeness for the sake of rudeness is...rude.

Like others, I did not like the all denim outfit for this challenge.  I am surprised that the challenge to make an outfit for Karlie was a one day only challenge as I would think they would want the contestants to be able to make outstanding designs/outfits to represent the show.

Tyler is trying to make it in a super competitive field in which personal connections can really help and he was rude ON CAMERA to the host.    Not a smart move.    

• Love 9
1 hour ago, carrps said:

Oh, I'm sure the commentators are using any old fodder they can find for the generation wars, but I'm a boomer, and I've always said "no problem." Rarely say "you're welcome." 

Boomer here too. I've said "no problem! (or the aforementioned jaunty "no prob!") for decades. Other favorites are "my pleasure" "glad to help" "of course" "no worries". In Spanish and French the polite responses are "its nothing". 

3 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

Tyler's outfit belonged on someone in Cape Cod in 1977. Those ruffles were very dated, and there was nothing new or fashion forward about that outfit.

Hee! Jackie O's secretary maybe. It looked like it belonged in the steno pool. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
6 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

I say everything but you're welcome. Sorry not sorry.

No problem! 😊

Man, I did not mean to start a whole thing! It was just an observation that Christian replies "You're welcome!" and my mom would like that.

On that after the show thing Christian hosts, I was surprised to hear that Tyler only performs drag occasionally, his drag is mostly for fun. His comments seemed like he was trying out sass for the stage, like at the beginning when he said something about being "America's favorite bottom" oh, har har, Tyler. 

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:

I think Karlie prefers to be known for her own success and not her “married” name.  Further, her husband is pretty liberal and when Tyler was making the “Kushner” reference, he was IMO referencing the Trump/Kushner wing of the family.  I would be irritated if I were her too.  

I think he was referencing the fact that she was not invited to the Kushner's for many years because they did not think she was right for Josh.

• Love 4