Type keyword(s) to search

S18.04: The Ultimate Upcycle

• Start Topic

So I do love Christian telling them to take their models to hair and make up with sponsors that actually sound like decent quality hair and make up... Every time he says it each episode, it just makes me so happy to be back on bravo...

Though... the judging still leaves a little to be desired... I get that tyler needed to go, but I didn't think his outfit was as horrendous as they made it out to be. It was well made, though dated, and didn't quite fit the brief, but I don't get how the whole denim outfit fit the challenge either. The pants were cool and the top was interesting, but not for a fancy fashion event... 

I was okay with the winner, it was probably the most polished out of the looks. I do think there were better safe garments to put in the top and the bottom than they chose, but I guess the overall end result was still acceptable. 

I know they were re-purposing other garments, but what was with all of the two face half this half that outfits? The one with the big white sleeves could have been okay, but then it was like two different skirts sewn together that didn't match up in anyway and looked ridiculous.... make an asymmetrical hem all you want, but maybe connect them with an angle or something in the middle so they look like they go together! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, dmeets said:

I’m going to miss Tyler and how he wasn’t here for Sergio’s bullshit.

Yeah, that's why I was kind of pulling for him, especially since he wasn't the worst designer the show's ever seen, just...unremarkable. But some people end up remembered for how they flame out more than anything they put in front of the judges, and he joined those ranks in a big way tonight.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Did I hear correctly, Victoria has been living in the US for 20 years? And still can't pronounce "faux"?

She said she was eight months pregnant when she and her husband arrived, and that her son (the toddler in the photo they flashed) is 20 months old now, so no, that’s less than two years as of filming. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, caitmcg said:

She said she was eight months pregnant when she and her husband arrived, and that her son (the toddler in the photo they flashed) is 20 months old now, so no, that’s less than two years as of filming. 

Thanks, I must have heard "20" & thought she said years, not months. I wonder if anyone has told her it's "fau", not "fox"?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think Victoria actually said "20 month years" but I've already deleted the episode.

When they said Karla would be the mentor this week I thought she would be doing the critiques instead of Christian, not just showing up practically at the last minute. And if she had really objected to anything there wasn't time to make any changes. Every time I see a backwards shirt I'm just reminded of Celine Dion at the Oscars. Not an original idea.

I must not be plugged into 'fashion' because I don't get what was so objectionable about Tyler's outfit. The judges acted ridiculously shocked and horrified as if they were personally offended by his choice of fabric and design, snarky comments aside. Challenging him for standing behind his garment, where they expecting him to break down and [metaphorically] fling himself at their feet, weeping and wailing?

On a completely different note, I really like Victoria's hair clip with the geometric shapes.

• Love 19

I was cracking up at every shot of Karla the stylist standing next to Karlie. I know we get the same height difference every week with Christian and Karlie but it still made me laugh every time. I also laughed when the designers got sent to Goodwill separately from Karla. I know it was probably more about the logistics of how many people they could fit in each vehicle but the evil part of me was imagining production telling Karla, "Oh, you don't need to drive over to Goodwill with the designers - eww!"

As someone who gets carsick easily, I felt bad that the designers had to sketch in the van on the way to Goodwill. And that's on top of the fact that they had a one day challenge immediately after the previous runway. They hadn't even gone home after the runway show yet!

I've never seen such a neat, well organized Goodwill before - the clothes were even sorted by color on some racks! Usually when I go to stores like that, they look like Ross the day after Christmas.

I know that the designers probably don't take tax into consideration when they're shopping at Mood or other places like Goodwill, so I love seeing just how close they can get to the amoun they were allotted to spend. I wanted to high five Dayoung for spending $149.87.

I love that Tyler had Sergio pegged like three episodes ago. As for Sergio's "I would be scared to come on this show with no formal training," did he not see Anya's season? She couldn't sew and she won her season. She still couldn't sew when they asked her to come back for All Stars several years later.

Anyway, my point is that in this day and age, there are a lot of things that you can learn for free without any formal training thanks to the internet (Mr. EB has done all kinds of stuff like plumbing repairs and car maintenance by watching YouTube tutorials). You don't have to go to FIDM or some other expensive fashion school to learn how to design or how to do the math for patterns that Sergio mentioned. You can buy books, watch online tutorials, find workshops, etc. The same goes for cooking. Not everyone can afford the tuition required for formal training but if you're willing to use other resources and keep practicing, you can be successful without that piece of paper.

Awww, poor Chelsey. I am not a tall girl like she is but I feel for her. It's so hard when things don't fit your properly because the proportions are off. As an adult it's a little easier to deal with because you can get your clothes tailored or you can find ways to alter things (one of my really tall friends always adds a strip of fabric to the bottoms of her skirts and pants because her legs are so long), but as a kid you're just stuck with whatever your parents put you in (not that I'm blaming her parents either).

I totally get what Geoffrey was saying about some people being lazy (Marquise and Victoria) for tailoring/modifying existing garments like blazers rather than actually taking them apart and using the fabric to make new pieces. On the other hand, I understand why some people went that route since it was a one day challenge that started immediately after the previous elimination. I liked the black and grey dress he made. The leather waistband gave it that little extra something to make it more interesting.

I didn't like Victoria's look at all. To me it looked like too many elements thrown together into one outfit. Do you really need a blazer with a belt with side cut outs with banded arms with an asymmetric skirt with mutton sleeve shoulders?

I know there were other designers who were giving Nancy the side eye for going to Karla so many times but she was smart to get as much info from her as possible. Instead of having to guess what her client would want, she got to ask specific questions about colors, styles, lengths, etc. Anyone who didn't ask Karla questions was not taking advantage of Karla's presence. While Nancy's outfit wasn't my favorite look on the runway, it definitely looked like something that Karlie would wear. I wasn't crazy about the holes in the skirt but they did make it look different from just a plain blue skirt.

I didn't like Delvin's jumpsuit either. The silhouette from the neck to the waist was too similar to the coat dress he made and I didn't like the poofy pants.

I felt for Dayoung when she was having trouble taking apart one of her pieces. Even when you have a seam ripper, sometimes it's really hard to take apart clothes, especially if you don't have a lot of upper body strength. Dayoung's bermuda shorts with a brown sleeveless asymmetric blazer was one of my least favorite looks. WHY?

Tyler, the judges have told you multiple times that your designs look costumey, so when Christian tells you that you are veering into that direction again, LISTEN TO HIM. Stop arguing. I couldn't believe that he thought his final look was East Coast money. I thought it looked like something you'd find at Forever 21. I could definitely picture Karlie wearing it, but that doesn't make it East Coast money. Heh and I agreed with him when he said that using a blazer as a blazer or tying a bow with sleeves isn't fancy enough for Karlie.

Sergio's outfit reminded me of the olden days when the Victoria's Secret catalog used to sell "work clothes" aka super low cut blouses and blazers without anything underneath. I didn't see it as "expensive and elevated" (his words). I saw it as "20 something girl with her first office job doesn't know how to dress appropriately but thinks her mall outfit looks super professional."

I liked Melanie's dress from the waist up. Well, "liked" might be a strong word. It was simple with a lot of cleavage and side boob so Heidi would have loved it. But I hated the layered asymmetric skirt.

I didn't like the blazer with arm cut outs that Marquise made. It looked like something a fashion student would make during their first semester for their deconstruction assignment. The white halter dress underneath seemed cute in the workroom though. The return of double sided tape! Didn't they outlaw that several seasons ago? Or was that the glue gun? I found it interesting that they said this outfit was overdesigned but they praised Victoria's.

Brittany's red, white, and black dress stood out because she used color AND it wasn't another fucking blazer. Again, hated the asymmetric skirt.

Chelsey really committed to that 100% denim concept. I personally wouldn't want to wear denim against my bare skin as a top. I liked the front of the top but I didn't like all the straps in the back (aside from the straps, I liked the back). I thought the pants looked like they didn't fit well either.

I loved Shavi talking about going to Goodwill with his grandmother and taking apart clothes to learn how they were constructed. I actually liked the way his pinstripe outfit looked but I felt bad that the poor model had a hard time walking in that tight skirt. Normally I'm like ugh, another motorcycle jacket? But I liked the juxtaposition of making it with a pinstripe material. I also liked the draped black top underneath.

Ugh, a team challenge next week? Say it ain't so! Can't we just have another regular challenge? We just had an unconventional materials challenge followed by an upcycled materials challenge. Can't we give the designers a week to just have a regular challenge before the inevitable drama of a team challenge?

• Love 19
5 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I love Shavi. I love the way he spoke about his grandmother. I love that they took apart well-constructed garments and put them back together. I love how he handled the criticism. 

Yes, all this made me want him to not go home even though I thought his design was the worst because his model couldn't move.

None of the top three were Paris-worthy. Tyler knew he was going home, so good on him for getting in a dig at the Kushners.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
56 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was cracking up at every shot of Karla the stylist standing next to Karlie. I know we get the same height difference every week with Christian and Karlie but it still made me laugh every time. I also laughed when the designers got sent to Goodwill separately from Karla. I know it was probably more about the logistics of how many people they could fit in each vehicle but the evil part of me was imagining production telling Karla, "Oh, you don't need to drive over to Goodwill with the designers - eww!"

As someone who gets carsick easily, I felt bad that the designers had to sketch in the van on the way to Goodwill. And that's on top of the fact that they had a one day challenge immediately after the previous runway. They hadn't even gone home after the runway show yet!

I've never seen such a neat, well organized Goodwill before - the clothes were even sorted by color on some racks! Usually when I go to stores like that, they look like Ross the day after Christmas.

I know that the designers probably don't take tax into consideration when they're shopping at Mood or other places like Goodwill, so I love seeing just how close they can get to the amoun they were allotted to spend. I wanted to high five Dayoung for spending $149.87.

I love that Tyler had Sergio pegged like three episodes ago. As for Sergio's "I would be scared to come on this show with no formal training," did he not see Anya's season? She couldn't sew and she won her season. She still couldn't sew when they asked her to come back for All Stars several years later.

Anyway, my point is that in this day and age, there are a lot of things that you can learn for free without any formal training thanks to the internet (Mr. EB has done all kinds of stuff like plumbing repairs and car maintenance by watching YouTube tutorials). You don't have to go to FIDM or some other expensive fashion school to learn how to design or how to do the math for patterns that Sergio mentioned. You can buy books, watch online tutorials, find workshops, etc. The same goes for cooking. Not everyone can afford the tuition required for formal training but if you're willing to use other resources and keep practicing, you can be successful without that piece of paper.

Awww, poor Chelsey. I am not a tall girl like she is but I feel for her. It's so hard when things don't fit your properly because the proportions are off. As an adult it's a little easier to deal with because you can get your clothes tailored or you can find ways to alter things (one of my really tall friends always adds a strip of fabric to the bottoms of her skirts and pants because her legs are so long), but as a kid you're just stuck with whatever your parents put you in (not that I'm blaming her parents either).

I totally get what Geoffrey was saying about some people being lazy (Marquise and Victoria) for tailoring/modifying existing garments like blazers rather than actually taking them apart and using the fabric to make new pieces. On the other hand, I understand why some people went that route since it was a one day challenge that started immediately after the previous elimination. I liked the black and grey dress he made. The leather waistband gave it that little extra something to make it more interesting.

I didn't like Victoria's look at all. To me it looked like too many elements thrown together into one outfit. Do you really need a blazer with a belt with side cut outs with banded arms with an asymmetric skirt with mutton sleeve shoulders?

I know there were other designers who were giving Nancy the side eye for going to Karla so many times but she was smart to get as much info from her as possible. Instead of having to guess what her client would want, she got to ask specific questions about colors, styles, lengths, etc. Anyone who didn't ask Karla questions was not taking advantage of Karla's presence. While Nancy's outfit wasn't my favorite look on the runway, it definitely looked like something that Karlie would wear. I wasn't crazy about the holes in the skirt but they did make it look different from just a plain blue skirt.

I didn't like Delvin's jumpsuit either. The silhouette from the neck to the waist was too similar to the coat dress he made and I didn't like the poofy pants.

I felt for Dayoung when she was having trouble taking apart one of her pieces. Even when you have a seam ripper, sometimes it's really hard to take apart clothes, especially if you don't have a lot of upper body strength. Dayoung's bermuda shorts with a brown sleeveless asymmetric blazer was one of my least favorite looks. WHY?

Tyler, the judges have told you multiple times that your designs look costumey, so when Christian tells you that you are veering into that direction again, LISTEN TO HIM. Stop arguing. I couldn't believe that he thought his final look was East Coast money. I thought it looked like something you'd find at Forever 21. I could definitely picture Karlie wearing it, but that doesn't make it East Coast money. Heh and I agreed with him when he said that using a blazer as a blazer or tying a bow with sleeves isn't fancy enough for Karlie.

Sergio's outfit reminded me of the olden days when the Victoria's Secret catalog used to sell "work clothes" aka super low cut blouses and blazers without anything underneath. I didn't see it as "expensive and elevated" (his words). I saw it as "20 something girl with her first office job doesn't know how to dress appropriately but thinks her mall outfit looks super professional."

I liked Melanie's dress from the waist up. Well, "liked" might be a strong word. It was simple with a lot of cleavage and side boob so Heidi would have loved it. But I hated the layered asymmetric skirt.

I didn't like the blazer with arm cut outs that Marquise made. It looked like something a fashion student would make during their first semester for their deconstruction assignment. The white halter dress underneath seemed cute in the workroom though. The return of double sided tape! Didn't they outlaw that several seasons ago? Or was that the glue gun? I found it interesting that they said this outfit was overdesigned but they praised Victoria's.

Brittany's red, white, and black dress stood out because she used color AND it wasn't another fucking blazer. Again, hated the asymmetric skirt.

Chelsey really committed to that 100% denim concept. I personally wouldn't want to wear denim against my bare skin as a top. I liked the front of the top but I didn't like all the straps in the back (aside from the straps, I liked the back). I thought the pants looked like they didn't fit well either.

I loved Shavi talking about going to Goodwill with his grandmother and taking apart clothes to learn how they were constructed. I actually liked the way his pinstripe outfit looked but I felt bad that the poor model had a hard time walking in that tight skirt. Normally I'm like ugh, another motorcycle jacket? But I liked the juxtaposition of making it with a pinstripe material. I also liked the draped black top underneath.

Ugh, a team challenge next week? Say it ain't so! Can't we just have another regular challenge? We just had an unconventional materials challenge followed by an upcycled materials challenge. Can't we give the designers a week to just have a regular challenge before the inevitable drama of a team challenge?

The Goodwill stores in my part of the Bay Area always have the clothing organized by color. 

This hasn’t always been the case, but a lot of clothing, and also fabric, etc. used to make it, is now exempt from sales tax in NYC. 

I thought Tyler’s comment was kind of out of line, regardless of who Karlie’s married to or who her husband’s family is, because it’s not really the place of contestants to bring up the judges’ personal lives if the judges don’t explicitly invite it. I’m sure most past contestants were aware that Heidi was married to (and then divorced from) a pop star, since there was certainly media coverage, but it was certainly off topic for the show. He seemed to be shooting his mouth off to get a dig without thinking it through, regardless of his protestation otherwise. 

• Love 18

IMO Tyler's outfit was boring and dated, but at least better constructed than the other two. Given that fact it seems obvious to me that he was booted, not for having the worst outfit, but for his bad attitude and snide comments.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I must not be plugged into 'fashion' because I don't get what was so objectionable about Tyler's outfit. The judges acted ridiculously shocked and horrified as if they were personally offended by his choice of fabric and design, snarky comments aside. 

Yeah, Tyler's look may not have been elegant and appropriate for the event, but it looked well made.

The other one in the bottom with the suit jacket top sliced apart with tape holding it together was not stylish, didn't at all fit the model and was just poorly/incompletely made. He should have been booted instead in my opinion.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Emmeline said:

I often don’t like the stylists I’ve seen on this show.  Karla Welsh seemed helpful without being too condescending.  
Wow, Kalie Kloss seemed to flip her lid when Tyler brought up the Kushners, wonder why?

She's probably tired of negative social media comments because of who she fell in love with and married.  What's-his-name auffed designer can try to backpedal, but he was clearly lashing out.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Why did so many pick jeans? It seemed like a jeans challenge.

Because their imagination is limited to thinking that "American" must equate to denim. 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
I really do know the difference between their and they're, I just lost my nut there.
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 11
15 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I did enjoy that about Tyler. My fervent hope is that someone is warming up in the dugout to step up and not be there for Sergio's bullshit. There must be at least one. Jesus, that passive aggressive concern trolling had me cringing. "Wow, I can't believe you actually had the undaunted courage to even attempt to keep up in a setting like this! You're so brave!" Cram it Sergio.

That is my (least) favorite passive aggressive Project Runway thing - I can't count the number of times that I've heard a designer say, "I'm really CONCERNED about [other designer's name]" when what they're usually saying is "I was trying to stifle my giggles at the piece of shit they were making."

But yeah, Sergio's snobbery disguised as faux concern about Tyler not being formally trained just made me roll my eyes.

• Love 22
8 hours ago, GaT said:

Did I hear correctly, Victoria has been living in the US for 20 years? And still can't pronounce "faux"?

She was eight months pregnant when she moved to the US and the baby is now 20 months old.

• Love 1

I think Karlie prefers to be known for her own success and not her “married” name.  Further, her husband is pretty liberal and when Tyler was making the “Kushner” reference, he was IMO referencing the Trump/Kushner wing of the family.  I would be irritated if I were her too.  

• Love 8

There doesn't seem to be much JOY this season and I think it starts from the head on down.

Say what you want about Tim but for most of his tenure on PR, it was clear that he liked what he was doing; mentoring and guiding young designers.  What was more important is that he LOVED fashion design.  He also KNEW fashion design.  He'd understand Devlin's lab coat and could maybe get him to relax a bit, be confident in his talent and take more risks.  Tim would put Mr. Sergio in his place with a quickness.  He would have also seen Victoria's outfit for the Comme des Garcons knock-off that it was and not carry on as if she'd created something new.  I couldn't believe that not one single person mentioned Rei Kawakubo.  I'll bet Victoria knows who she is.

Heidi could be tacky and vulgar but most of the time, she was fun.  What I think about Mrs. Kushner is best kept to myself.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 20
6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

There’s no tax on clothing under $110 in NY. So if you are buying fabric for clothing, it’s not taxed.

Karla probably didn’t ride with the designers because with 2 vans, one group would have the advantage of picking her brain.

Tyler kept defending his outfit as perfect for lunching at Martha’s Vineyard, which is fine if the parameters of the challenge are vague and he was describing “his girl” (I hate that phrase!). But the challenge was specifically an event in Paris. So, bye bye Tyler.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I think Victoria actually said "20 month years" but I've already deleted the episode.

When they said Karla would be the mentor this week I thought she would be doing the critiques instead of Christian, not just showing up practically at the last minute. And if she had really objected to anything there wasn't time to make any changes. Every time I see a backwards shirt I'm just reminded of Celine Dion at the Oscars. Not an original idea.

I must not be plugged into 'fashion' because I don't get what was so objectionable about Tyler's outfit. The judges acted ridiculously shocked and horrified as if they were personally offended by his choice of fabric and design, snarky comments aside. Challenging him for standing behind his garment, where they expecting him to break down and [metaphorically] fling himself at their feet, weeping and wailing?

On a completely different note, I really like Victoria's hair clip with the geometric shapes.

Yeah, she said "20 months years".  

That "hairclip" I think was just different bobby pins strategically placed to make the shapes.  

I am among those of you that was completely baffled by the denim thing being on the top. First, I thought it looked horrendous regardless of what the challenge was.  Second, it didn't seem to meet the challenge requirements at all.  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, mightysparrow said:

There doesn't seem to be much JOY this season and I think it starts from the head on down.

Say what you want about Tim but for most of his tenure on PR, it was clear that he liked what he was doing; mentoring and guiding young designers.  What was more important is that he LOVED fashion design.  He also KNEW fashion design.  He'd understand Devlin's lab coat and could maybe get him to relax a bit, be confident in his talent and take more risks.  Tim would put Mr. Sergio in his place with a quickness.  He would have also seen Victoria's outfit for the Comme des Garcons knock-off that it was and not carry on as if she'd created something new.  I couldn't believe that not one single person mentioned Rei Kawakubo.  I'll bet Victoria knows who she is.

Heidi could be tacky and vulgar but most of the time, she was fun.  What I think about Mrs. Kushner is best kept to myself.

This is exactly how I feel. Heidi and Tim has a joyful side to them, it was clear they liked being around fashion and fashion designers. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there seems to be less positivity now and Christian acting like he is having a nervous breakdown every time he walks through isn’t helping.

The judges seem like they want to feared rather than a part of things. Nina’s sternness was offset by other judges having fun. Brandon and Elaine are too serious and don’t seem to find a light hearted side.I will keep watching though, I love seeing the creative process.

• Love 18
6 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there seems to be less positivity now and Christian acting like he is having a nervous breakdown every time he walks through isn’t helping.

The judges seem like they want to feared rather than a part of things. Nina’s sternness was offset by other judges having fun. Brandon and Elaine are too serious and don’t seem to find a light hearted side. I will keep watching though, I love seeing the creative process.

7 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Agree completely. I made similar comments up thread. The judges seem bored and impatient, particularly Nina. Elaine is an odd fit as a judge. Karlie has not impressed me as a judge or as a host.

I fear that this show will start to slide back into the Lifetime version and, if so, I'm out. 

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

There were a few contestants they showed this episode and I was like, "Who the hell are you?" Like the tall girl who made the all denim outfit and the blonde girl who isn't the one from Texas.

I'd seen the tall woman, though I don't think I realized how tall she was, because she's the only Black woman there so she stands out (plus her personal style is kind of wacky, with her different glasses). I didn't know her name until this episode though. But when the blonde was talking about how she and her mom loved to go thrifting, I was like "Harpo, who dis woman?" I swear I've never seen her before.

8 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Elaine seems like an odd fit as a judge. Karlie has not impressed me as a judge or as a host.

Elaine is the judge I feel offers the least. Karlie doesn't impress me either. Heidi does have a more positive, affable demeanor than Karlie does. Tim is supposedly a really lovely person on the show and in real life, and I think that comes across. Nina has always been bitchy; IMO she's always had a snobby air about her. So does Brandon. Elaine doesn't seem bitchy, but she also just doesn't offer much - like, if she weren't on the panel, nothing would change.

I knew all the tea about Karlie and the Kushners already but I was shocked to hear Tyler bring it up. He absolutely meant it as a dig, it totally cracked Karlie's face, and it was just a surprising moment to me - like someone on the show said, "You don't say that out loud!" In what is, for all intents and purposes, work.

I loved Nancy's pink blouse. I'd wear that. Not the skirt though, although I admired the craftsmanship - when they showed the hem and she said it was all back pockets, I thought "Oh cool!"

I cracked up when the one who was talking to himself was just in his moment talking to himself, and then was like "And? Yes, I talk to myself, and I laugh at myself. I'm funny." I just liked that self-awareness. His model taking step by painstaking step because she quite literally could barely walk in his outfit was killing me though. She must have been miserable.

Agree with y'all who vastly prefer this stylist to the other one who screams "Look at me! My topknot is so messy and cool! I'M QUIRKY!"

• Love 21
13 hours ago, bencr said:

There is a meanness to this show that I just don't like, and I always feel a little tense after watching. That's all I have to say.

Well for me, it's Brandon. 

The rest of them are fine.  Except Sergio is a condescending asshole.  The way he spoke to Tyler was unbearable.  

• Love 11
13 hours ago, QQQQ said:

I hate it when I thank people and they respond, "No problem!" (I'm talking about workers just doing their regular jobs). I guess it's better than completely silent transactions though...

That's funny.  I prefer "No problem" over "You're welcome".  I think this is regional/cultural/generational or something, not sure.  I'm always thrown off when someone says "You're welcome" because I'm so used to hearing "No problem" or "Any time".   Why do I need to be told I'm welcome?  That's already assumed.  "No problem" is just a person trying to be nice as possible and it always tickles me when people get upset over it.

I think it's a bit much to pretend Karlie is some trapped victim in a marriage she was forced into.  There are pictures of her and "the Kushners" that can be easily Google'd.  She knew the family she was marrying into. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 19

There is a meanness to this show that I just don't like, and I always feel a little tense after watching. That's all I have to say.

I didn't see it in earlier episodes, but it was clearly on display last night. It really bothered me. I guess we can't have an elegant thoughtful show without production trashing it.

I'm puzzled by the love for Nancy's design. I feel like we saw Victoria's design in decades past.

I'm losing my enthusiasm for the Bravo flavor. These kooky challenges don't provide what I want to see. The results of the one-day challenges are underwhelming craft projects. Having to watch inexperienced contestants fail annoys me. Get rid of the folks who think that sewing machine + bitchy personality = skilled designer.

I don't think he'll win the big prize, but I hope good things happen for Shavi. His comments reminded me of prowling the junk shops with my grandmother in Louisiana.

I would like to see a more even playing field so that there is true competition among skilled designers.

Watch out Sergio. You may be so busy playing your transparent "strategic" game that you don't see your own takedown coming.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 13
12 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I was confused why Tyler kept going on and on about “East Coast, Cape Cod, oMartha’s Vineyard...” I barely know anything about fashion or models, but even I knew Karlie is from the suburbs of St. Louis! I know these contestants don’t have access to social media or Google while they are on the show, but wouldn’t you do a little recon/research on the host and judges before you got to the show?  

Because that's Tyler's style already, and he was basically trying to fit the challenge to himself and his aesthetic.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

Personally, I really love the show.  I didn't feel badly after.  I wanted to watch like another 3 episodes.  I absolutely loved it.

I actually really prefer Christian over Tim. Tim has sabotaged many designers to the bottom.  I never really liked Heidi either.  She likes things short and tight.  Okay, great?  It's not exactly helpful to the designers, though.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 16
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

[Heidi] likes things short and tight.  Okay, great?  It's not exactly helpful to the designers, though.

I always laughed when they had to do the "design something for Heidi" challenge because ... I mean, Heidi kind of has bad taste. It's not just the minidress thing (I have long legs, I rock minis), it's just in general, "I question her taste level," to quote the show.

• LOL 4
  • Love 20

One of the reasons I don't like Christian as a mentor is his snarkiness is all about himself and keeping the camera on him, not about helping the designers. He's gotten a bit better about the advice but it's still more negative, i.e. don't do that, than positive like giving constructive criticism about what they can do. Karla gave really good direction at Goodwill so I was disappointed when she just disappeared for most of the show.

• Love 9

With Heidi, it wasn’t just that she liked short dresses. It was that she likes short tight dresses that showed a lot of cleavage and skin and had sequins. Something with a few of those elements can be fine but she clearly wanted ALL of those things together which comes off as a cheap skanky party dress from Wet Seal. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

Well, the Kushners are trashy assholes, so I wouldn't exactly be shouting from the rooftops that I was married to one. 

So why marry one. Tyler was eliminated because he mentioned her family. I knew from the beginning of the season she had just married into the family.

• Love 4

1. I have had it with asymmetrical hemlines! 

2. Tyler's "Kushners" wisecrack made zero sense, show- or fashion-wise, even if he did couch it in "dinner with". Was that supposed to make Karlie appreciative of his design? Of him? Or make her laugh for some reason? Or think, "Tyler understands the sophisticated milieu I married into!"

No; Tyler meant it instead as his personal criticism of Karlie's associations. The judging panel is not going to countenance such impertinence.

3. I still miss Alan.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, LennieBriscoe said:

1. I have had it with asymmetrical hemlines! 

So many did that this episode! Why did they all go there? Just a lazy way to take a basic suit and make it "something else"?

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

With Heidi, it wasn’t just that she liked short dresses. It was that she likes short tight dresses that showed a lot of cleavage and skin and had sequins. Something with a few of those elements can be fine but she clearly wanted ALL of those things together which comes off as a cheap skanky party dress from Wet Seal. 

Exactly - and when designers produce this kind of thing, they usually get dinged for it being too much. Like, pick legs OR cleavage. 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I also did not appreciate the gasps of shock when Nancy revealed her age on the runway. Good god! You mean she’s still functional and allowed near sewing equipment unsupervised?! Hope she packed the Depends.

I assumed that was for show because I'm sure they know how old she is. That's her hook. (That's not shade, BTW - I've said here before how much I admire her going for her dream in her third act.)

• Love 8