Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

Ava was going to testify against Valentin for his role in Nikolas' "death" which Spencer was all for, but then Valentin persuaded her to drop her testimony in exchange for a visit to the clinic that was able to restore her face after the fire. The fact that Nikolas turned out to be alive and that he hid that from Spencer for three years hasn't changed the fact that Spencer still has this ridiculous vendetta against Ava. 

I had thought she and Bechtel's Spencer were still friendly-ish when she tried to get him to talk to Coloma's Nikolas upon his return after all that, though. Maybe I'm misremembering. But I guess there was also another wrinkle later on with him choosing Ava over Spencer, so that's a biggie.

3 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Addition: They have a background of friendship as medical professionals and parents of teenagers who are friends. I believe Portia would talk to Elizabeth about something personal regarding a man, but I don't believe she would confide in Terri whom she barely knows. 

Both Liz and Terry were working at GH when Portia joined GH so Portia has known them equally long.  Realistically Portia would know Terry better than she would Liz because they would be attending the same staff meetings and drug rep presentations, things Liz as a nurse wouldn't be attending. And there was the evening that Terry brought Portia to Liz's house for a girls' night so we've been given the impression that Portia and Terry are friendly.

In terms of plotting, Terry kind of pushed Portia into confiding in her about Curtis but Liz needed to be on duty for Anna to see her and Finn acting suspiciously and Jordan was needed to find them so Terry is the only one left to push Portia into going to Curtis' club for reasons of plot.

Stupidest question of the episode: Gladys asking Olivia what plans Carly has to bring Brando into the Corinthos mob.  It's bad writing even if they did want to push Gladys getting Brando into the mob.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jsbt said:

I had thought she and Bechtel's Spencer were still friendly-ish when she tried to get him to talk to Coloma's Nikolas upon his return after all that, though. Maybe I'm misremembering. But I guess there was also another wrinkle later on with him choosing Ava over Spencer, so that's a biggie.

Yeah, I wasn't watching all of it so someone else can probably say better than me. 

The only thing I agreed with Gladys on today was her putting her drink on Carly's tab. If I lived at the Metro Court, I'd be putting everything on Carly's tab. Because reasons.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/22/2021 at 12:57 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I really don't believe that number (and if you peep his Instagram you'll notice that he's carefully curating his pictures so you can't see how tall he is) but maybe it was something other than the height thing, then. I guess we're just going to go with the "He still looks 13" route.

So of course they went the other way with the new Spencer. (I don't think he looks THAT old, but whatever.) 

NB honestly seems like he'll be fine, though. He's in the Disney Orbit and he can still believably play junior high. He'll probably pop up in something else in like a "Gordo on Lizzie Mcguire" type role or something.

how tall is spinelli? he's an average looking guy but very popular and was put with maxie. i thought spencer would be similar to him when he got older TBH, smart and nerdy  but more cassadine ish. 

Edited by mason86
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

What I don't get about Gladys is, Sasha is a spokesmodel who owns a stake in a cosmetics company, why does she act like Sasha is some two-bit nobody scheming to 'land' her garage owning son? 

Gladys wants Brando to have the upper hand in the relationship so that Gladys can have the upper hand, too. It's all about what Gladys can get.

• Love 5
On 7/21/2021 at 11:25 PM, tvgoddess said:

Hope you're okay. And no, you didn't miss a thing. Literally, nothing happened.

much better thank you :)

also hahaha

• Love 3
(edited)

Now that was a LOOOONNNNGGGG overdue Jason-Monica conversation about AJ. I was not expecting Jason to acknowledge to Monica that they were wrong for how they treated AJ. Loved that Monica flat out told Jason she's tolerated Carly all these years for his sake, and Michael's. It's also obvious how comfortable SBu and LC are with each other after all these years. 

Phyliis: We don't open for another hour.

Me: How would anyone know the difference?

Nina was Silas's wife, not his colleague - Lenny getting an appointment for surgery that fast because of her "connections" is absurd (like most of this Show). She really is being painted as the White Savior/"chosen family" to this couple. 

Good work by Howarth in that brief Austin-Jason exchange. LOL.

Spencer was such an ass to Trina.  He's so selfish and self-involved. He flat out said so what if his father and Ava are miserable. UGH.  He doesn't deserve Trina. I like that she's pushing back, and walking away from him in disgust. LOL at Ava's giant hat and overall attire; she looks ready for a day on a hot, sunny beach instead of at a pool that has a roof.

I still don't buy Terri as Elizabeth's best childhood friend; the friendship conversations IMO scream retcon of Elizabeth's youth esp. since Teri was never mentioned before she materialized in the hospital one day. I swear I'm going to reach into the screen if I hear "Biz" one more time - I loathe the nickname. I miss her friendships with Robin and Emily.

I assume Elizabeth confesses to Jason since he's confronting her alone. Same with Finn and Anna. I am not moved by Anna's tears. 

I thought the silent patient in the wheelchair was going to inexplicably be Hayden, not Ryan, because Alexis looked surprised instead of scared.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

LOL at Ava's giant hat and overall attire; s

I hope she doesn't jump in the pool, she will sink with those earrings unless they self inflate to PFD's.

14 hours ago, mason86 said:

how tall is spinelli? he's an average looking guy but very popular and was put with maxie. i thought spencer would be similar to him when he got older TBH, smart and nerdy  but more cassadine ish. 

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't mind the actor (Betchel), he was certainly better then some child actors like the previous Cam, so wooden. Just the writing and directing got a little over the top.

2 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Now that was a LOOOONNNNGGGG overdue Jason-Monica conversation about AJ. I

That conversation almost made sense, so unlike GH.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, drtslim said:

Hasn't she left, returned, and left again since being shot?

Yes.  This is a total rewrite though because several people know Nik ordered the shooting and it was on screen.  It's embarrassingly bad imo.

• Love 5

Nice that Jason and Anna know about Peter or think they do and are going to talk to Elizabeth and Finn about it. 

I don’t buy that Ryan would be housed in a lower level prison. At the very least, he should be in a highly secure medical facility

• Love 10

Even if one has amnesia, how is living in a bar, working in same bar, dating the first woman who walks into that bar, and hanging out only with said bar's proprietors such a fulfilling life for Mike?! I would be bored shitless. Does he build model airplanes in his room or something? 

Sam is gonna help Shawn/Sean because "After all you did for my mother." What exactly did he do for Alexis? ...other than get her thrown in solitary. 

No! Not yet another Alexis in prison story line. Ugh!   

• Love 7

Does the show think that CoS is an elected position? Why are Britt and Terry talking to people to get them onside?

I  wish they would explain what feels like an extreme hatred that Spencer has for Ava because going back on her word to blame Valentin for killing Nik, who isn't even dead, doesn't explain it all. Is he afraid that Ava will get pregnant and Spencer will have to share his inheritance? Britt is more likely than Ava since she's younger. Spencer can see how unhappy Nik is, unless there is a better reason than I've seen this vendetta is worthy of a much younger child.

Other than giving him blood a few months ago, how did Carly save Jason's life? And she lost him Robin.

26 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I don’t buy that Ryan would be housed in a lower level prison. At the very least, he should be in a highly secure medical facility

A facility that is better able to take care of his substantial longterm medical needs.

6 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Sam is gonna help Shawn/Sean because "After all you did for my mother." What exactly did he do for Alexis? ...other than get her thrown in solitary.

Isn't Alexis the one who helped Shawn by getting the idea to go through the judge's rulings?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Hater said:
2 hours ago, drtslim said:

Hasn't she left, returned, and left again since being shot?

Yes.  This is a total rewrite though because several people know Nik ordered the shooting and it was on screen.  It's embarrassingly bad imo.

I can't with Shawn being all "I must find the shooter to protect the citizens of Port Charles."  OK, Mob Flunky.

10 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Other than giving him blood a few months ago, how did Carly save Jason's life?

I literally think that's all he's talking about.  Other than that, she's brought him nothing but misery and problems.

• Love 9
(edited)

"Is it okay if I say hello?" Ugh, just talk to her or don't, Jason. Don't do this fake consideration crap.

20 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

LOL at Ava's giant hat and overall attire

I love it, it's so hilariously dramatic and perfectly in character. Nik, on the other hand, looks like a cabana boy.

Monica saying she's cut Carly a lot of slack over the years is quite the understatement. And Jason saying that AJ went about getting Michael the wrong way? Had Carly, Jason, and Sonny shown him a little more consideration, maybe he wouldn't have had to make threats.

It was pretty funny watching Jason lurk in the background watching Finn and Elizabeth. He's not one for eavesdropping.

I'm sure I was supposed to find the toast to "chosen family" by Lenny, Phyllis, Mike, and Nina heartwarming, but I found it gross.

Edited by dubbel zout
belated typo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Other than giving him blood a few months ago, how did Carly save Jason's life? And she lost him Robin.

I imagine, in Carly's mind his losing Robin was saving his life. 

• LOL 2
(edited)

Llanview mention, awww. Still think GH should have been cancelled not OLTL.

Nice that Monica brought up AJ and the reasons Monica has issues. Jason admitting he was wrong. Shocking, but I don't see Carly changed.  Carly lied trying to pass the baby as Tony's first then Jason's. AJ didn't do anything until all of that was done to him. 

Doesn't Windermere have their own pool? Mansion on private island should. The Quartermaines have one. Sonny's house should too. I don't get going daily to Metrocourt pool.

How does Alexis have a French manicure? Nail salon in jail?

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:
5 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

LOL at Ava's giant hat and overall attire

I love it, it's so hilariously dramatic and perfectly in character.

So totally Ava.  I'd expect nothing less. 

Also, another cute suit for Trina. 

I have a hard time believing a convicted serial killer--incapacitated or not--would be in a "Club Fed" facility.  And by hard time I mean there's just no fucking way.

I can't with all the Nixon Fails crap.  Great White Saviors Nina and Mike saving The Poors--who despite being a veteran, despite having a job as a nurse, have absolutely no health insurance--is a story that really didn't need to be told.  On the plus side, when Lenny kicks at least we'll get more Emmy reel scenes for MB, and really, isn't that all that matters? /sarcasm

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

So totally Ava.  I'd expect nothing less. 

Also, another cute suit for Trina. 

I have a hard time believing a convicted serial killer--incapacitated or not--would be in a "Club Fed" facility.  And by hard time I mean there's just no fucking way.

I can't with all the Nixon Fails crap.  Great White Saviors Nina and Mike saving The Poors--who despite being a veteran, despite having a job as a nurse, have absolutely no health insurance--is a story that really didn't need to be told.  On the plus side, when Lenny kicks at least we'll get more Emmy reel scenes for MB, and really, isn't that all that matters? /sarcasm

I was thinking that being self employed, he should have Obamacare. Or married to a nurse, he should be on her employer policy. I forgot he was a veteran, but you are right; he’d be covered there too.  Result :  dumb plot point. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

I think none of them should have been cancelled. they could have found ways to save money. but it was like aww when I heard the Llanview mention.

Honestly if it's between Terry and Britt - I'm team Britt here. 

though I don't get why they are gathering supporters. Chief of Staff isn't a voted position . 

• Love 16
41 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I think none of them should have been cancelled. they could have found ways to save money. but it was like aww when I heard the Llanview mention.

Honestly if it's between Terry and Britt - I'm team Britt here. 

though I don't get why they are gathering supporters. Chief of Staff isn't a voted position . 

Me too. Can’t stand Terry and her Biz nonsense. 

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Daisy said:
2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Of my relatives that watched ABC soaps, GH was always their least favorite, even during its late 70s-mid 80s heyday. I still believe Oprah missed out on a second fortune when OWN didn't pick up AMC and OLTL after the Prospect Park online debacle.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm really glad, after how lackluster her disgust learning about the engagement was, that they gave Monica this scene with Jason.  That she got to say in dialogue that it's hard for her to be in the same room as Carly, that she only puts up with it for Jason and Michael, and her line about Carly always using AJ as a stepping stone to Jason was gorgeous. 

I did not like, though, that they painted Monica's beef as stemming from stuff from when Michael was an infant.  Carly aiding and abetting AJ'S MURDERER was pretty recent, Show.

And also, where is all this going?  We're getting a lot of truth telling about Carly's attitude and behavior from a variety of people - Jax, Liz and Sam, Britt, Monica - but is something actually going to change?  Because I think the show still wants us rooting for her.

Llanview mention!  Maybe Lenny will run into Lucas' (who?) doctor friend at the hospital there, though he works in pediatrics, having been inspired by the doctors that saved his premie daughter's life. #showinmyhead

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I'm really glad, after how lackluster her disgust learning about the engagement was, that they gave Monica this scene with Jason.  That she got to say in dialogue that it's hard for her to be in the same room as Carly, that she only puts up with it for Jason and Michael, and her line about Carly always using AJ as a stepping stone to Jason was gorgeous. 

I did not like, though, that they painted Monica's beef as stemming from stuff from when Michael was an infant.  Carly aiding and abetting AJ'S MURDERER was pretty recent, Show.

I will say in a lot of ways that conversation was very true to Jason and Monica as characters, and in a good way. But it was historically inaccurate (and that is true in real life). The only reason AJ decided to go after Carly's baby (Michael)is because the bitch drugged him in order to get him out of town. Carly drew first blood. She usually does. I kind of love that Jason is so brainwashed at this point that even when he admitted that is was wrong to steal Michael from AJ, he honestly believe that Carly is a better person than she was when she was younger. No, she is much much worse. Mainly because she hasn't suffered any consequences for her crappy behavior. If anything, she leveraged them to raise her own status. Also she has developed severe narcissism in addition to her borderline personality disorder. Now she has infected her offspring with her entitled attitude. However, for Jason to admit that she is horrible, much worse than any Q, it is to admit that the last 20 odd years of his life has been an utter waste. Let's give the Qs this: they never blindly fell in line with whatever Edward wanted.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Spencer was such an ass to Trina.  He's so selfish and self-involved. He flat out said so what if his father and Ava are miserable. UGH.  He doesn't deserve Trina. I like that she's pushing back, and walking away from him in disgust. 

I really do not like his character. He's smug, conceited, self-righteous, and has this ridiculous vendetta against Ava for no good reason at all. Good that he got shoved into the pool, but a) it should have been Trina, and b) I really need him to get his ass kicked.

7 hours ago, Hater said:

Nice of them to rewrite the entire who shot Hayden storyline.

Ugh. Don't get me started. My girl's not even here and she's still getting shitty writing involving her. I could maybe understand if it were only one person that knows, but a total of six people (maybe seven, the last one is somewhat in doubt) know. GAH.

4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I love it, it's so hilariously dramatic and perfectly in character. 

Not only this, but Ava looked freaking fabulous. She's not divorced yet; she's still married to a prince. She can wear whatever the damn hell she wants. And looks incredible doing it!

There was some good in that Jason/Monica conversation. I'm glad Monica got to speak her mind and let him know how she really feels. And for Jason to even acknowledge any wrongdoing feels like a win. But I wasn't even around back then and I know that I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Carly was complete bs.

Ah, Show. Finally give me what I want for the briefest second and then pull it away. Just enough Jason/Britt to satisfy me. LOL at Monica calling Britt and Terry into her office like she's the principal and Britt's "peachy" face to Monica. And it was a little thing, but I enjoyed Britt making Terry go first because she sees it as a small show of power since she's still CoS for the time being.

Trina's 2 for 2 in the cute suit department. I'm betting she's only seen the remake of Parent Trap with Lindsay Lohan and not the superior original. Although Ava looked like she was channeling Meredith.

The less said about Nixon Falls, the better. Let's just say those were the scenes I didn't pay attention.

Ryan was kind of a shocker, so good on them. But it's so unrealistic that this serial killer would be in the summer camp prison.

I liked the Anna and Val scenes. I thought Fin was excellent.

Today's show was much more enjoyable to me (save NF and Hayden's rewrite) than the last two episodes.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I can't with Shawn being all "I must find the shooter to protect the citizens of Port Charles." 

Co-sign. My memory is a little fuzzy, but (A) he pled guilty to (B) cover up for the crime he was actually there to commit ( shooting someone else, I think, Billy Miller? I forget who he was at the time, Jake-under-Helena's- control, pre-Jason memories?)  

So, miss me with the whole, justice must be served BS 

• Love 11
(edited)

This Hayden retcon is really troubling because so many ppl know who had her shot, including Hayden. Are they really going to try and act like no one knows?!? This is ridiculous!! 

Well, I guess the show that acted like Liz and Lucky didn’t even know they had buried a completely different child would act like Liz, Laura, Hayden, and possibly Sam don’t already know (or suspect in Sam’s case) that Nikolas was behind Hayden’s shooting. This is beyond lame. That plot played out only 6 years ago!! 

I just can’t take this arc seriously. Hayden KNOWS who shot her!! She married the man and fell in love with him. This is done and dusted. Spare me this ultra lame #JusticeforHayden arc! Give Sean something else to do! 

Edited by lala2
  • Love 9

I don't get this Nixon falls story. Instead of sonny finding out who he is ,he stays in this town. The owners of the bar don't  have any friends in town but sonny and Nina?

When Lenny dies what happens to Phyllis and sonny  they stay and run the bar or move to Port charles?

• Love 3

They should have retcon that Liz and Laura knew that Nikolas tried to kill Hayden because that was a horrible take for those characters. Nikolas trying to kill someone so no one would find out that Jake Doe was really Jason (but not really just Drew) should horrify his mother and make Liz feel guilty as she grew close with Hayden.

Justice for Hayden is silly but if they could tie Shawn's investigation into  finding where Hayden is now, that would be great. Whoever is holding Hayden could also have Drew and let us not forget Holly.

As contrived as Spencer still hating on Ava for her lying about Valentin "killing" Nikolas, I don't believe that he is jealous of his father being in love and married. Spencer were quite close with both Britt and Hayden, and did like Ava until she betrayed him.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Daisy said:

I think the board votes on it, if anyone does. But I don't think it's a bad idea to be able to point out that half the staff (or whatever) supports you being COS. You want the hospital to run smoothly, and people liking the COS can go a long way toward that happening.

The way the scene in Monica's office went, I am at least 50 percent convinced that neither Terry nor Britt will become COS, it will go to Finn (until the Peter lie comes crashing down).

11 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

And also, where is all this going?  We're getting a lot of truth telling about Carly's attitude and behavior from a variety of people - Jax, Liz and Sam, Britt, Monica - but is something actually going to change?  Because I think the show still wants us rooting for her.

Do we still think someone will speak now and not forever hold their peace and stop the wedding? I have to think it will be more than just a courthouse special.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Do we still think someone will speak now and not forever hold their peace and stop the wedding? I have to think it will be more than just a courthouse special.

Yeah, given the whole urgency of it all, re the Novaks threatening, this wedding planning is going at a leisurely pace.  If all that it was meant to do was convey a commitment, a courthouse wedding would suffice.  But this idiotic story has it that the Novaks actually have to believe Jason and Carly are in love and thus the wedding must reflect that. 

I'm already rolling my eyes at Carly decked out like a blushing bride while Jason looks like he's walking to the gas chamber.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Will Nina have an attack of conscience and stop Carly from committing bigamy? I hope not.

1 minute ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Yeah, given the whole urgency of it all, re the Novaks threatening, this wedding planning is going at a leisurely pace.  If all that it was meant to do was convey a commitment, a courthouse wedding would suffice.

If it really was about showing that Jason is the one holding power, faster would be better, and a courthouse marriage better than a white wedding with Carly in a pouffy dress. But I guess we're all supposed to be warm and happy that Carly is marrying the man of her dreams.

Speaking of missing people, has no one remembered Holly?

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

The way the scene in Monica's office went, I am at least 50 percent convinced that neither Terry nor Britt will become COS, it will go to Finn (until the Peter lie comes crashing down).

I hope not.  Finn is a good doctor and a brilliant researcher (as long as you don't understand science) but when has he shown any capacity for administration?

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Will Nina have an attack of conscience and stop Carly from committing bigamy? I hope not.

Jason's face when he finds out his soulmate is alive and that he's not legally married to Carly will be priceless. He'll actually have an expression!

• LOL 10
11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Finn is a good doctor and a brilliant researcher (as long as you don't understand science) but when has he shown any capacity for administration?

When has anyone since Steve Hardy? The writers haven't made that position accurate for years. I don't really care, but at least pick a lane with it. The duties of the COS have been all over the place.

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, statsgirl said:

And she lost him Robin.

Jason's choice to take care of/be loyal to Carly as Michael's mother, and Sonny, above all else for the rest of his life lost him Robin. Robin knew she wouldn't have the kind of life she wanted if she decided well, I'm in love with Jason, period.

17 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I can't with Shawn being all "I must find the shooter to protect the citizens of Port Charles."  OK, Mob Flunky.

THIS. Thank you!

16 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Yes and yes.  I was looking forward to Paraphrase Hospital analysis regarding Nixon Fails - Lenny's gratitude toward Nina and the 'chosen family" toast.

13 hours ago, ciarra said:

Recast Spencer.  I can't stand him.  What a douchebag, with his sunglasses perched on his head.

12 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

I really do not like his character. He's smug, conceited, self-righteous, and has this ridiculous vendetta against Ava for no good reason at all. Good that he got shoved into the pool, but a) it should have been Trina, and b) I really need him to get his ass kicked.

I'm pretty sure this perspective on Spencer is the writers'/Show's intention.  They are continuing on with who Spencer has always been, in this recast. The actor performs the dialogue he's given, and (I'm assuming) following how he is directed in the scenes.  The only changes I see are that he doesn't constantly call someone he doesn't like a "townie" and in conversations with Trina he has referenced his "dad" and mom" whereas NB's Spencer always said mother, father when mentioning them to people. So it seems like adult Spencer is just a little less formal in his speech. I am half expecting him to say something to Joss along the lines of he likes qualities in Trina and think she's beautiful but they are just not of the same pedigree so a real relationship wouldn't work.  

Unrelated note: I'm still really, really hoping someone shoves/pushes/knocks Carly into the pool.  I would love for it to happen because Yuri is protecting Monica, or BL, or even Valentin from a perceived threat. 

ETA It seems like the writing is mostly to blame for problems with the characters, etc. lack of layers, mis-using or ignoring history, or adults dwelling on remembering kisses. For example, I only find the Terry character tolerable when she's talking to her (now deceased) patients and the families about diagnosis and care. Of Howarth's three characters, I've only found Austin tolerable to enjoyable so far. I feel like the BL character is much better to watch now that she shows layers of who she is, rather than the one-note immature spoiled brat when she was trying to seduce Dante, and more recently when she had her tantrums regarding ELQ that culminated with the "my father is a horrible person" attitude. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

Whoever is holding [Rebeca Budig] could also have Drew and let us not forget Holly.

Is someone holding Rebecca Budig?  I thought she just went off the grid for...reasons, I can't even remember.  But I thought it was something she did, not that she got snatched or anything,

• Love 1
4 hours ago, lala2 said:

Well, I guess the show that acted like Liz and Lucky didn’t even know they had buried a completely different child would act like Liz, Laura, Hayden, and possibly Sam don’t already know (or suspect in Sam’s case) that Nikolas was behind Hayden’s shooting. This is beyond lame. That plot played out only 6 years ago!! 

There's no suspecting when it comes to Sam. She confronted Nikolas and then he and Drew (Jason at the time) got into a big fight and Drew/Jason almost killed him.

3 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Is someone holding Rebecca Budig?  I thought she just went off the grid for...reasons, I can't even remember.  But I thought it was something she did, not that she got snatched or anything,

No one is holding her. She left town and went off the grid to protect Violet. Nik convinced and gaslighted her that Violet was in danger. He hired a thug to attack Hayden on the pier. Valentin was blackmailing both of them, I think. I was pissed so I can't remember all of the details, but I do vividly remember how devastated she was to leave Violet. She had a terrific "goodbye" scene with her.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I'm pretty sure this perspective on Spencer is the writers'/Show's intention.  They are continuing on with who Spencer has always been, in this recast. The actor performs the dialogue he's given, and (I'm assuming) following how he is directed in the scenes.

I meant he sucks as an actor.   He can still be conceited and smug, but know how to act.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

When has anyone since Steve Hardy? The writers haven't made that position accurate for years. I don't really care, but at least pick a lane with it. The duties of the COS have been all over the place.

I think Alan was a good one? Did Tony ever hold this position? Steven Lars SUCKED, as did Patrick; Robin, for reasons, and it was strictly plot pointy. Up until her being complicit with what Bobbie did, Monica was a decent Chief of Staff.

But Steve Hardy was the BEST.

1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

The only changes I see are that he doesn't constantly call someone he doesn't like a "townie" and in conversations with Trina he has referenced his "dad" and mom" whereas NB's Spencer always said mother, father when mentioning them to people. 

True. But he still calls Nikolas "Father" when not in Nik's presence. Like that whole thing in his first appearance "This is for your own good, Father." It sounds so fucking pretentious.

And since this show especially, gets everything wrong, I want him exposed as fixing the election for his gramamaaaaa, and there be consequences. The twit.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

There's no suspecting when it comes to Sam. She confronted Nikolas and then he and Drew (Jason at the time) got into a big fight and Drew/Jason almost killed him.

Thank you! I had forgotten that part. Someone mentioned the same thing on another board so that means Sam, Drew, and Curtis know as well!! 

This is beyond lame - to retcon a story where so many ppl played key roles! And why? Is RB coming back or something? Why dredge all this up again? I'm happy Sean is out, but I don't want to see Nikolas in jail!  

• Love 4
On 7/23/2021 at 2:08 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

I still don't buy Terri as Elizabeth's best childhood friend; the friendship conversations IMO scream retcon of Elizabeth's youth esp. since Teri was never mentioned before she materialized in the hospital one day. I swear I'm going to reach into the screen if I hear "Biz" one more time - I loathe the nickname. I miss her friendships with Robin and Emily.

This doesn’t work because Liz was actually on this show as a teen and we know who her friends were, and Teri wasn’t one of them. And Biz, ugh I really don’t like that. 

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

This doesn’t work because Liz was actually on this show as a teen and we know who her friends were, and Teri wasn’t one of them. And Biz, ugh I really don’t like that. 

Or you know, that Elizabeth never mentioned any friends she had to leave behind when she found herself in Port Charles at 16? And she never talked about a boy best friend who was allowed to come over and have sleepovers, as Elizabeth mentioned last year.🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I miss my 70s, 80s, and 80s General Hospital. And mid 2000s, with a few exceptions, of course.

• Love 2
(edited)
45 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

The Show introduced this character as an oncologist, who was a friend of Elizabeth's from before Elizabeth and Sarah came to live with Audrey. I think Elizabeth was supposed to be 14/15ish then. There was a mention that pre-trans, he was Elizabeth's first kiss. In a conversation last December, Elizabeth said something like, "Oh, you're going home to see your parents for Christmas?" and the response was something like "Yes, they still ask about your parents. Is there any hope with you and your parents?"  (Umm, none of your business.)

I'm supposed to believe that from the time Elizabeth and Sarah arrived, her talk of feeling second to Sara, through all the trauma of 15-year-old Elizabeth victimized by rape and then the kiss with Lucky at the boxcar, her close friendship with Emily and then with Robin, and everything else she has been through in Port Charles over the years, she somehow just forgot to mention that she had a close friend from grade school/middle school/early high school who called her "Biz, who was her first kiss and then transitioned? Utter b.s. 

i hated it when Teri did the intro for Elizabeth and Franco's reception at the Haunted Star because she called Elizabeth "my oldest friend." It seemed to imply that they have been close all their lives when in fact Teri didn't meet Elizabeth's kids until Cam was 16, wasn't a part of Elizabeth's life when she was raped or fell in love with Lucky or during the previous marriages or when she became a nurse. As an Elizabeth fan, having her early youth retconned for a character because the Show stupidly killed off Emily but wants to pat itself on the back for hiring a trans actor to play a doctor who will also engage in pushy girlfriendy gossip, bugs me.  (That is not an endorsement of NL's acting, by the way.)

ETA: Jinks, @GHScorpiosRule!😂

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, lala2 said:

This is beyond lame - to retcon a story where so many ppl played key roles! And why? Is RB coming back or something? Why dredge all this up again? I'm happy Sean is out, but I don't want to see Nikolas in jail!  

Because the show is creatively bankrupt and lazy. There's no other explanation for why they're bringing this up. 

They can't send away an African-American actor and character after they've just been done using him in their "social justice" piece. So instead of coming up with an actual storyline, they are just circling back and rewriting something nobody cares about. 

Nikolas isn't going to jail. The justice system works differently for rich people. Especially GH's justice system. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

and the response was something like "Yes, they still ask about your parents. Is there any hope with you and your parents?"  (Umm, none of your business.)

I get that you don't like Terri and Liz's friendship, but I'm not sure how it's none of her business. They're friends. Friends are allowed to ask each other personal questions.

6 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

i hated it when Teri did the intro for Elizabeth and Franco's reception at the Haunted Star because she called Elizabeth "my oldest friend." It seemed to imply that they have been close all their lives when in fact Teri didn't meet Elizabeth's kids until Cam was 16, wasn't a part of Elizabeth's life when she was raped or fell in love with Lucky or during the previous marriages or when she became a nurse. As an Elizabeth fan, having her early youth retconned for a character because the Show stupidly killed off Emily but wants to pat itself on the back for hiring a trans actor to play a doctor who will also engage in pushy girlfriendy gossip, bugs me.  (That is not an endorsement of NL's acting, by the way.)

Her calling Liz her oldest friend simply means it's her longest-lasting friendship, even if they hadn't seen each other for years. I have no issue with this retcon because, despite Liz being on-screen for eons, we barely know anything about Liz's life before she came to PC. Her youth wasn't retconned because they added a friend. A retcon, IMO, generally means something was drastically altered that we heard about/saw on-screen. Just because she's never mentioned Terri doesn't mean the friendship is some wholly ridiculous thing. Wasn't Liz herself a retcon? Did we ever hear about her or Sarah before they came on the scene? Liz also has a mother she's barely mentioned during all of her tragedies, but it wouldn't be a retcon if they brought her mother on and created a history we've never heard mentioned.

I'm not upset that they hired a trans-actor/brought on a trans character and attached her to a long-standing vet. I'm just pissed they haven't utilized her properly, or more.

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Just because she's never mentioned Terri doesn't mean the friendship is some wholly ridiculous thing.

My thing is it’s being written as if these two were besties when longtime viewers know that’s just not true. They could have just said Liz and Terri went to high school together and knew each other, that would be believable. And saying they were besties before she moved to PC when they couldn’t be more than 13-14?  That’s even less believable. 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I get that you don't like Terri and Liz's friendship, but I'm not sure how it's none of her business. They're friends. Friends are allowed to ask each other personal questions.

, we barely know anything about Liz's life before she came to PC. Her youth wasn't retconned because they added a friend. A retcon, IMO, generally means something was drastically altered that we heard about/saw on-screen. Just because she's never mentioned Terri doesn't mean the friendship is some wholly ridiculous thing.

A) She put Elizabeth on the spot in front of other people, and it wasn't at a time when Elizabeth was comfortably talking about her family connections. My read on it was that she was being pushy/intrusive.

B) I would agree with you, had the Show not specifically addressed Elizabeth's sexuality and comfort level as a teenage girl, post-rape. Her friendship and first kiss  experience with Terri would have been directly relevant to  her first kiss with Lucky, a guy friend she had a crush on, as well as Lucky sleeping on the floor since she supposedly had sleepovers with Terri in the past.  That first kiss with Lucky was such a big deal, with Elizabeth up to that moment wondering if she could ever feel normal again after being raped.  There was a strong implication at the time that she had never been physically or emotionally close with a boy prior to the rape, and never once mentioned Terri to Emily as she and Lucky were getting close. That's why I feel it's a retcon.

• Love 3