Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

Well I don't have a question, but I do have a quiz/riddle thing. Everyone can try and guess a number. I figured most out but there are still 5-6 bothering me. 

1. History repeats itself

38. Tiptoe Through The Tulips

126453501_10217910758672564_4215392368230449283_n.jpg

• Love 1
On 11/5/2020 at 3:47 PM, graybrown bird said:

All Creatures Great and Small - lovely old BBC show about a country vet practice in the Yorkshire Dales.

I remember that show. I like James Herriot and read a couple of his book every living thing and the cat and the curmudgeon.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:47 PM, jewel21 said:

126453501_10217910758672564_4215392368230449283_n.jpg

Oooh, fun!!  I put our answers together (apologies if I missed someone) and added mine in bold:

1. History repeats itself

2. Ring around the Rosie

3. Repeat after me

4.  Read between the lines

5. You're under arrest

6. 4 square meals

7. Ready for more

8 - Alice in Wonderland

9. Right after me

10 - Frankenstein

11. Made in China

12. Settle down 

13) One in a Million

14.  Four wheel drive

15. land before time

16. I'll be there in a minute

17. Rail crossing?

18. Microscope

19. banana split

20.  operation

21. Update

22. balanced meal

23. tennis shoes (10 issues)

24. excuse me

25 Time after time

26 - bad influence

27. No one knows

28 - too big too ignore

29) Big Bird

30) High Chair 

31 - ice cube

32 foreign language

33. Space Invaders

34.  Safety in numbers

35. Blanket

36. To who's in charge

38. Tiptoe Through The Tulips

39. Free for (four) all

40 neon lights (knee on lights) that one drove me crazy!

All we are missing is #20 and #37

• Love 7
3 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

17. Rail crossing?

39. Free for (four) all

Thank you! That one has been driving me crazy. I thought it spelled Rall and it couldn't make any sense of it. I also thought the answer to #39 was all for nothing but yours makes more sense! 

23. Repeat issue?

27. No one knows

• Love 2
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

7. Ready for more

12. settle down

@jewel21,  is it cheating if I used this version?

Hide contents

akelas-council-cub-scout-leader-training

Not at all! Thank you for finding a clearer version!

18. Microscope (this version finally allowed me to see the word that was in the box!)

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Not at all! Thank you for finding a clearer version!

18. Microscope (this version finally allowed me to see the word that was in the box!)

Thank you!  I couldn't see/read the word in #18 no matter what I did.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I added all our answers to Raven's post above. It looks like we're only missing the answer to #20 and #27!

#20 is operation.   remove the "pain".  it took me a while to figure that one!

#27???  "One knows"?  that doesn't seem right.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, raven said:

#20 is operation.   remove the "pain".  it took me a while to figure that one!

It's painless operation.

18 minutes ago, raven said:

#27???  "One knows"?  that doesn't seem right.

Won by a nose. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

We're missing 37 as well. 

Equal rights.

1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

I think 27 is 'no one knows.'

Where are you getting the "no" from?  I've only ever seen this as won by a nose (one by a knows).

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Equal rights.

Where are you getting the "no" from?  I've only ever seen this as won by a nose (one by a knows).

I think my mind just kept seeking out the 'no' in the word knows, saw the 1 and went with no one knows. But looking up the answer it does appear to be won by a nose. 

And I think that is it and we've completed the game. Now, @JTMacc99 bring us a new question!

• Love 3

So they were out of plain bagels, so I brought home a couple of whole wheat bagels (which, by the way, are just as unhealthy as plain bagels.)  My teenage daughter:

tonight show ew GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

So your question of the day is, what is the ONE food or drink you absolutely can't stand? No lists, no "anything that [general description], just pick one thing. Do tell us why you can't stand it, or if you had a bad experience with it, let us know.

• Love 2

Coffee

I don't know why I don't like it, I just don't.  My taste buds yell at me whenever I have anything coffee or coffee flavored and even usually have to spit it out.  I can't force myself to swallow it.  I can't even eat coffee ice cream, or coffee in chocolate, or coffee liqueur. Even a hint of coffee in something will ruin it for me.  And despite knowing this, for some reason, every few years or so I decide to try it again, and every time it's just as bad as ever.

black coffee GIF

(I even instinctively make a face when looking at this gif.  My taste buds are shuddering). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Liver. Just typing the word makes me gag. 

I remember as a teen going to a formal party and someone was all excited that they were serving pâté. Ugh. Giving it a French name doesn't make it less disgusting.

I think it's mainly a textural issue, though the smell doesn't help.

• Love 6

Eggs.  I can't even stand the smell of someone eating them in the same room, which is why I don't go out for brunch.   In junior high, my mother wrote a note to the Home Ec teacher saying I was allergic so I could skip that unit.  

You would never know it to look at my compost bin, however. Cuz I do like cookies.  

• Love 7

Olives. Half my family loves them and think I'm nuts for hating them, or that I need to give them a 'try.' I have, more than once. If something has olives in them, I will pick them out. Occasionally one slips past me and I end up eating one. I still don't like them. So salty, yuck. 

• Love 4

Mushrooms.

I can't get past the look or texture. I've been through the "you can't even taste them/then why do you add them?/for flavor" argument more times than I can count. I will pick them off pizza or pile them in a corner of my plate if it's in a prepared dish. I won't even eat them out of politeness (like I do with greenbean casserole). Nope.

• Love 4

Pickles. Specifically Dill pickles.  The smell is disgusting to me and the taste is even worse.   

My sister would get huge jar of them for christmas every year and would squeal and jump around with joy to have her own jar of dill pickles.  

I worked at burger king as a teen and my hands smelled like dill pickles for two freakin' years.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Broccoli.  Cooked. Because of the smell. Someone else's Mom made me eat it once when I was a kid and having a sleepover at a friends house.  I did because I was a good and obedient child (with neighbors).  Then I threw up on the dinner table.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Lamb. The smell alone makes me sick. If I go out to a restaurant with other people & somebody orders lamb, it ruins my entire meal. I once went on a cruise with my SO who knows I hate lamb, so when they served lamb kabobs, he lied & told me that it was beef because he thought somehow I wouldn't notice. He got a real surprise when I took one bite, spit it out, & very loudly started yelling about how the beef had gone bad & that nobody should eat it. Nope, do not like lamb.

• Love 2

Tree nuts.  All tree nuts.  I can't stand the taste, texture, or smell of any tree nuts.  Many a decent pound cake has been ruined by almond extract.  Big nope on macadamia nuts, too.  And keep your nasty Nutella away from me.  Black walnuts are the worst of the lot, though.

Raisins! Nasty little ruined grapes that keep polluting all the wonderful oatmeal cookies and cinnamon toast and so many other baked goodies (which fortunately I don't eat, except in super rare circumstances, anymore anyways). And then they (them, you know - them) give the desiccated morsels to innocent children on Halloween in boxes instead of proper candy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, isalicat said:

Raisins! Nasty little ruined grapes that keep polluting all the wonderful oatmeal cookies and cinnamon toast and so many other baked goodies (which fortunately I don't eat, except in super rare circumstances, anymore anyways). And then they (them, you know - them) give the desiccated morsels to innocent children on Halloween in boxes instead of proper candy.

I don't mind raisins by themselves, but don't put them in my food. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I cannot stand any kind of fish.  It's a texture thing, meat is not supposed to be flaky.  Doesn't matter how it's prepared either.  

Also, cilantro is the devil's weed.  I inherited the gene from my father where it tastes like soap.  I can even taste coriander in dishes, and that also tastes like soap.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I hope your bagels didn't have raisins in them JT. That's the real crime. 🤨

I can't even pass off a plain whole wheat bagel around here. A cinnamon raisin bagel might have caused my daughter to question if I even loved her.

As for my One Thing that I consider an unholy food item, it would be Ice Cream with Nuts in it.  Just, no.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the real life equivalent to this:

image.png.856b93c406fedc56dfa4bc1f49d05762.png

• Love 1