Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

As a kid I loved all the sugary cereal - Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, Count Chocula, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, Trix, Corn Pops, etc.

I used to eat all of those, too :D.

Nowadays, my favorites are Rice Krispies and Corn Chex. And sometimes I'll be in the mood for Cocoa Krispies, too. And I also like my cereal dry. 

• Love 4

I didn't really like cereal as a kid, though we ate it. Mostly corn flakes or Raisin Bran - Coco Puffs were a treat. Now I eat gluten free peanut butter toast for breakfast and sometimes have Honey Nut Chex with vanilla soy milk as an afternoon snack.  🙂

• Love 2

As a kid - Captain Crunch all the way, followed by Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes. I also liked Grape Nuts.

Now that my body decided gluten and myself are not friends, I would have to say, Cinnamon Chex.

If my husband ever went out of town, I’d buy some Captain Crunch and have a bowl or two and risk the consequences (I feel awful for people with celiac disease).

Now I really want some Captain Crunch.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Hated cereal as a child. Didn't like how soggy it would get. I have issues with texture. Occasionally I would eat Corn Pops dry out of the box. 

As an adult? I never buy cereal.

I just next unread topic my way through this thread, and I think I've weighed in only once, but this prompts me to do so again: I didn't eat cereal as a kid (unless that was all that was on offer at someone's house after a sleepover, at which point I munched on dry cereal or just declined and waited to be picked up), and I don't do so as an adult -- a very odd food, floating something in milk, and I'll pass.

• Love 2

I've always had cereal dry--the sogginess just grossed me out.  As a kid, I would rotate through various sugary cereals, such as Cocoa Puffs and Lucky Charms (which I don't know how I could stand between the marshmallows and the gross other pieces that were the actual cereal).  By middle school, I switched to Cheerios.  At some point (I don't remember how), I settled on Wheat Chex and stuck with that for over a decade.  The store would be out frequently, so I got Corn Chex once as a substitute and decided I liked that more.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I settled on Wheat Chex and stuck with that for over a decade.  The store would be out frequently, so I got Corn Chex once as a substitute and decided I liked that more.

Of the various things used to make breakfast cereal, I've always strongly favored the ones made from oats. In addition to Life that I already mentioned (which leads with oat flour but also has corn and wheat) my other favorite as a kid was this cereal that went extinct at some point when I was a teenager:

image.png.2e018e45407b91ae2d2de6340997b088.png

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

a very odd food, floating something in milk, and I'll pass.

Most granola doesn't float, and, surprisingly, neither does Raisin Bran after a minute -- in case this question is making you feel gastronomically adventurous. 😉 
<shapeshifter gives her oatmeal a jaded look>

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

As a child, I loved Life. I don't eat cereal now being mostly gluten free and preferring to have a good dose of protein to start my day, but if I did I would probably go with either Life or Wheetabix (they are like Shredded Wheat, but better IMO).

• Love 2
11 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Of the various things used to make breakfast cereal, I've always strongly favored the ones made from oats. In addition to Life that I already mentioned (which leads with oat flour but also has corn and wheat) my other favorite as a kid was this cereal that went extinct at some point when I was a teenager:

image.png.2e018e45407b91ae2d2de6340997b088.png

I loved fortified oat flakes

• Love 3
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Most granola doesn't float, and, surprisingly, neither does Raisin Bran after a minute -- in case this question is making you feel gastronomically adventurous. 😉 
<shapeshifter gives her oatmeal a jaded look>

No, not at all - especially because raisins are crimes against grapes.

But if oatmeal counts as cereal, then, hey, I do actually like a cereal as an adult (I still almost always stick to an egg white scramble as my breakfast if I eat one [I normally start with lunch] or occasionally French toast/pancakes, but I like the occasional bowl of steel cut oats).  And, thinking back, it occurs to me that as a very little kid, "I want baby cereal" when I was sick meant I wanted Gerber oats baby cereal - a smooth consistency oatmeal should not obtain, but I found it soothing at the time.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Drogo said:

I forgot these existed, but they were the shit. 

I cannot do the Rice Krispies treats, they are too sticky.

I do like the regular Rice Krispies.    I think most cereals would be too sweet for me now.   Now this is not as good as the peanut butter and of course if you get it you just pick out the berry ones and leave the others but is sill right up there

cereal2.thumb.jpg.fb9ddb5f40df1c26f1c16df4b3ab39b4.jpg

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

MTV’s Remote Control! Takes me back to high school and college summers when I had nothing better to do but watch it in the afternoons (I usually worked at night).

I loved that show. I would sit there everyday and watch while I was feeding my baby.

Match Game 73, etc,  you know back when it was good. I don't want to be a contestant on anything, I want to be Brett Somers on Match Game.

• Love 9

on what game show would you most like to be a contestant?

12 minutes ago, festivus said:

Match Game 73, etc,  you know back when it was good. I don't want to be a contestant on anything, I want to be Brett Somers on Match Game.

Okay, then I will be Patti Deutsch on Match Game '73 ff. with you, @festivus.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

Wheel of Fortune where they chose prizes after a round

In my university days, we used to watch WofF to psych ourselves up to go to the horrible cafeteria for dinner. We would scream happily when they chose the ceramic dalmatian. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I'm not sure if I have an all time favorite, but I am 100% certain that if I could have been a contestant on a game show, it would have been the primetime version of Deal or No Deal. At worst, it was a free $30,000. More likely you just keep picking until you get in a position where it's getting a little risky, and you bail out taking home $75,000 - $100,000.  That game was just free money.

• Love 3

Jeopardy! is my favorite to watch, but I think I'd be a better contestant (i.e. more likely to win some $$$) on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

Wheel of Fortune where they chose prizes after a round

Wheel! Of! Fortune!  Lookatthestudiofilledwithfabulousprizes!  I loved those days, too.  Oh, the ceramic dog! 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I remember, years ago, VH1 used to have "Rock and Roll Jeopardy". I would've liked to go on that show :). 

With Probst! I watched it too, that one and Remote Control are the only ones I would have ever done well on.

• Love 1

As a child The Price is Right

i also like Family Feud(though Steve Harvey is a horrible host)

I definitely would have wanted to be on Deal or No Deal but I hate watching it.  Also Who Wants to be a Millionaire, when the daytime version filmed in nyc I used to take the test from time to time, it was very hard.  Or Wheel of Fortune, I’m good at the bonus round. 

• Love 2

When I was a kid, my mother watched a game show called Concentration. After a contestant found matching tiles on the board, they revealed clues to a rebus puzzle (mix of pictures & words). I loved that game show, and sad that they never attempted a reboot.

• Love 8

My favorite is probably Family Feud, though I haven't always watched every version of it.  I watched some back in the day, and then in the more modern versions with Steve Harvey and Richard Karn. 

I've sometimes thought that a friend and I would be good contestants on Beat Shazam because we could cover the different genres, but she is severely visually impaired so it wouldn't work unless I did all of the early round stuff where you ring in with multiple choices.  I also actually studied hoping that I could become the first female contestant on ESPN's game show 2-Minute Drill (which took me a few minutes to remember the name of), but the show was soon cancelled.  (They showed the last episode in the middle of the afternoon on 9/11!  That's when it had been scheduled, but it was still weird when they showed it.)

• Love 2
On 1/29/2021 at 5:43 AM, KWalkerInc said:

My favorite is probably Family Feud, though I haven't always watched every version of it.  I watched some back in the day, and then in the more modern versions with Steve Harvey

I am one of those people who got through chemotherapy with Steve Harvey yelling stupid stuff and the contestants yelling even more stupid stuff back. 
You know, @KWalkerInc, like one of those little old mom contestants who, when Steve is told that she is a cancer survivor and that being on the show was on her bucket list, he gets this really incredulous look and can only say: Really??? 

Edited by shapeshifter
Added “like” because I never actually got on the show
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I've always been particular to Wheel of Fortune, but I'd probably know the answer but land on "Lose A Turn" every spin.

There was a show called "Moment of Truth" a few years back where contestants took a polygraph ahead of the taping then were asked a portion of the same questions live in front of the host/audience and their loved ones... they had to give the answer the polygraph had determined to be true.  Certainly the questions chosen to be used on the show were the worst ones (ex: people admitting to infidelity or theft) but for a non-degenerate it should've been an easy $500K.  

• Love 3
18 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

When I was a kid, my mother watched a game show called Concentration. After a contestant found matching tiles on the board, they revealed clues to a rebus puzzle (mix of pictures & words). I loved that game show, and sad that they never attempted a reboot.

Growing up in the 70’s my brother and myself watched a lot of game shows (we had 3 and a half channels to choose from - getting PBS depended up the antenna). 

Concentration was one of my favorites. I also liked the original Match Game, The Jokers Wild and password.

• Love 5

I did like Concentration.  I had a home version -- it came with a spool of paper that the rebus puzzles were printed on.  After you found and finished one, you'd turn a little crank or wheel (I don't really remember) to move to the next one.  We'd play Concentration with a deck of cards too, but no rebus, obviously.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did like Concentration.  I had a home version -- it came with a spool of paper that the rebus puzzles were printed on.  After you found and finished one, you'd turn a little crank or wheel (I don't really remember) to move to the next one.  We'd play Concentration with a deck of cards too, but no rebus, obviously.

I had that game also. I was the youngest of 4 and it was one of the few childhood items with which I was the original owner.

• Love 5

I think I have to go with Hollywood Squares with Paul Lynde and Charley Weaver.  And all the other people.  Lots of fun and seemed so adult when I was a kid.  I also liked Match Game when Charles Nelson Reilly was on. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I think I have to go with Hollywood Squares with Paul Lynde and Charley Weaver.  And all the other people.  Lots of fun and seemed so adult when I was a kid.  I also liked Match Game when Charles Nelson Reilly was on. 

I loved those shows too!

Charles Nelson Reilly and Brett Somers had THE BEST banter! 

• Love 10