Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

Shameless because it’s in Chicago, and I love Fiona. 

Kidding, but my choices are off-beat, I guess. I’d like to be in Kath and Kim because they’re hilarious and things always work out no matter how ridiculous they act. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, ABay said:

If it was still on, As the World Turns. But any soap would do because I would be gorgeous, everyone I know would be gorgeous, I would have at least one scrumptious lover, a huge and immaculate home, and a glamorous job for which I had no qualifications and would only work at a few minutes a day.

Yes, There are perils. The evil twin trying to steal my man and/or frame me for a crime, the odd bout of blindness or incarceration (see evil twin), or a short spell of life-threatening medical condition that will be cured at the last moment (unless my contract is under negotiation)but these are trifles compared to the utter fabulousness of my life overall.

Hi Ho...to Oakdale I go. I’m going to eat in Emma Snyder’s kitchen. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I FLOVE her studio apartment, and Rhoda lives upstairs! Maybe I could be a temp in the news room.

But, somehow, I feel I'd be better suited as a member of Dr Hartley's group therapy on The Bob Newhart Show. 

Yes, I'm old. Get off my lawn!

Shows of this era made me think of WKRP!  (slightly later, but I've seen all these shows on the various retro TV networks).  Can you imagine how fun it'd be to hang out with Venus, Andy, Dr Johnny Fever, Jennifer, Bailey, Herb, Les, and The Big Guy?  

Ooh...  that also makes me think of Night Court.

...  I might need to rethink my answer.  😄 

• Love 4

Hawaii Five-O. Exciting days catching the bad guys (though I fear I wouldn’t be much help), topped off with evenings of mai tais with the crew at a beachside bar. (I lived in Hawai’i for 10 years, so this would be a way to go back.)

• Love 4
12 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Shows of this era made me think of WKRP!  (slightly later, but I've seen all these shows on the various retro TV networks).  Can you imagine how fun it'd be to hang out with Venus, Andy, Dr Johnny Fever, Jennifer, Bailey, Herb, Les, and The Big Guy?  

Oooooh! This is a great answer. That would be a great place to be trapped for a month with a bunch of wise-cracking fun people.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Oooooh! This is a great answer. That would be a great place to be trapped for a month with a bunch of wise-cracking fun people.

Not to mention all the great music they played!  WKRP is a great answer.  

• Love 6

West Wing because I love the superfast, witty, intelligent dialogue and all the main characters.  (The producers would have to somehow, and miraculously, bring John Spencer back though.)

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 4

Antiques Roadshow: Kona, Hawaii (not during a hurricane or a pandemic) so I could swim and get fresh papaya and avocado and apple-bananas from the Farmer's Market every morning and then see and learn about cool antiques and artwork in the afternoon while dressed casually. 

• Love 5

Nerd or Geek? I always considered myself more of the second one. My list:

• Lifelong love of sci-fi starting with seeing Planet of the Apes at age 5. ✔️
  • Yes, on the action figure collection ✔️
  • Rattling on about Marvel until my family's eyes glaze over ✔️

I'm sure there's more but I'm not really a gamer unless you count the many hours spent in the arcade and playing Atari when I was a teen. My sons who are serious gamers would not. 

Is that the difference between nerds and geeks?

(Oh and I'd love to go to Comic-Con but I think it would be easier to get an audience with the Queen)

• Love 2

I'm pasty, but that's due to sun screen, not lack of sun - so I don't think that counts. My (somewhat nerdy) friends would not be surprised to learn that I come in at a big fat zero on this quiz! 

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Maybe a three or four if I stretch it and add conditions to those.  Example:  I don't need multiple monitors, but I sometimes will use multiple devices at the same time.  And I've been to a small Con in cosplay, just not Comic-con.  Seems like those should count!  

But I definitely have more online friends than real-life ones.  

• Love 4

I got a zero.

Excuse me, poll written by someone with no nerd credentials to be making a nerd poll.  But its Doctor Who.  Not Dr. Who. I know this because those fanatics in the Who forum called me out on that once.  They take that stuff seriously.  I only wish to assist Nine or Ten.  So that is 15% of Doctors that I would like to assist.  But none of them are Dr. Who so answer is no.

Desire to party with Hobbits.  Um no.  I watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy on a plane to Malaysia and all those Hobbits did was walk and walk and walk some more.  I have never been so bored in my life.  And I read the Hobbit when I was a kid.  I don't remember any fun parties.  Do Hobbits have parties?  Are they known for throwing a rip roarin' good time?  So that's a no.

I'm not so much hoarding cables and cords as I just don't know what they go to.  So I'm going with a no here too.

I'm irritated that I know what Quidditch is despite never reading or seeing Harry Potter.  So no.

I watched a tv competition show called Steampunk'd once but I'm saying that doesn't count.

I hated those two storm troopers in Mandalorian. You know which ones.  But all the Storm Troopers in the first three Star Wars films were like comic relief.  So I don't universally hate Storm Troopers.  I find Luke and Han in Storm Trooper costume rescuing Leia quite swoon worthy.  

I don't universally fear cylons.  Thats a dumb question.  1980s Battlestar Galactica Starbuck befriended a metal one in the only watchable episode of that series.  And have you no knowledge about BSGs final five.?  I do fear that Ronald D Moore ruins everything.

This robot is in my kitchen but he's not homemade by me.  I bought him.

robot.JPG

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Excuse me, poll written by someone with no nerd credentials to be making a nerd poll.... it's Doctor Who.  Not Dr. Who....

Cosign, and:

14 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm not so much hoarding cables and cords as I just don't know what they go to.  So I'm going with a no here too.

I'm irritated that I know what Quidditch is ...

I don't universally fear cylons.  Thats a dumb question.  1980s Battlestar Galactica Starbuck befriended a metal one in the only watchable episode of that series.  And have you no knowledge about BSGs final five.? 

I gave away my only action figure, and it was a librarian.
image.thumb.png.2b6a4a2ec5d626b49b8e25d3d2f7679b.png

Okay.  But I can provide tech support for CSS issues while half asleep on the phone in the dark, but the poll doesn't give that talent nerd cred.
It has been so long since I knew what my cables and cords were for, that I do believe I have migrated to "hoarding," and, while not so much wanting a jetpack, my car should be airborne, so-- 
*drum roll*
I have a 2½?

ETA: Generally pale skin and mostly online friends = 4-4½

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I got four:  pale skin, more online than offline friends and the Stormtroopers.  At first I didn't see the part about the action figure collection.  Most of them are just left from my childhood, but they are safely stored in a C3PO collector's case, so that should count for something.

• Love 3

I got 5 or 6, depending on how much I want to stretch it. Like others, the cord collection is not so much hoarding as I have these cords that go with things I may or may not have any more. And many of them aren't my cords. They belong to my husband, who would score much higher than me. It might be hoarding, though, because I feel that if you throw the cord away, then you'll find something you need it for -- possibly even the thing it went with.

I don't know that I want to assist Doctor Who, but I wouldn't mind hanging out for a while, as long as we weren't being chased by things that wanted to kill us (which seems to happen regularly) and as long as it was the Ninth or Tenth Doctor. I'm not interested in any others.

I wouldn't mind partying with hobbits, either. There's likely to be lots of food because hobbits like to eat a lot, and if it's a birthday party, hobbits give presents to their guests, rather than the other way around. And if you're lucky, a wizard might show up with cool fireworks. (Yes, hobbits do party.)

I would submit that some of those questions are dumb and that there are other questions that probably should be there, possibly more about actually gaming than just owning (one!) 20-sided die. For instance, do you have the collection of dice with different numbers of sides? Is it a matching set? How many do you have? How many six-sided dice do you have (because you need to roll more than one sometimes for attacks and defense).

• Love 4

I really thought I would automatically go with #4, but reading a book seems like a terrible way to enjoy the other three things.

So #1 it is! Love the crackling fire on a winter day. I'd probably be surrounded by dogs as well. 

• Love 1

#4.  I dislike hot weather, and snow means I have to shovel.  Spring brings rain that means the grass grows too fast for me to keep up with cutting it.  (I mow over the fallen leaves, so no raking for me!

• Love 1

The last time 1 happened, I began to feel trapped and broke my ankle and had to hop on one foot until 3.

2 is two sets of pairs that negate each other. I like it best in general but not all at the same time.

So I guess 4, because I have a yard service and don't have to rake the leaves but I'm not drinking the cider.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

image.thumb.png.53081c882c31322913d9d334917955fa.png

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

#2 (Spring)
--because I've always lived where  winter weather can be lethal and spring is the farthest away

1 hour ago, raven said:

I decided to change my life-long favorite of spring to summer because for the last 2 summers (my first of retirement) I've been swimming laps in Lake Michigan most days of summer.
But then I saw @raven's ranking and decided to go with that format, so put me down in decreasing order of preference as:

3 Summer
2 Spring
4 Fall
1 Winter

It was a toss up between 1 and 4 for me, but I'm going for 1.  As much as I like reading, in the fall I am more likely to be outside enjoying the cooler temps, changing colors, etc.   Now if had been sitting around a fire pit or camp fire, or hiking, maybe 4 would have won. 🙂

• Love 2