Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Oh, I almost forgot this - Kitty Gunderson the Elder was scared of doorbells, even ones on TV. Frazier and the old Domino’s pizza commercials drove her crazy.

Ha- you know I love Frazier but didn’t realize doorbells were common. Now I’ll be like “yep!  There it is!”

• Love 2

My sweet old dog Olivia was scared of her own farts. She could be in a deep sleep, fart, and jolt awake and run from the room. She could get all 70 pounds moving really quickly when she had to, lol.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

She even pawed at the TV once when she saw a bird walking across the floor on some show. 

One of the cats we had when I was growing up, Yori, once got really worked up when the 10 o'clock news had some story that featured birds chirping.  When the story ended, she started looking all over my parents' bedroom for the birds, even climbing on the TV stand and looking behind the TV.  My mom was cracking up, but Yori was just like, "What?  Where did those birds go?!"  In general, she would have a strong reaction to animal noises in media, which prompted my father to ask Mom not to play the Christmas album Meowy Christmas (though I think it was just because he didn't like it, not because of Yori freaking out).

Yori's mother, Ursa, would respond to times she felt neglected by going under one of the beds and stealing a slipper, then running around meowing with it in her mouth.  (In doing this, she once found a pair of my sister's slippers that had been missing for a while. )  Sometimes she would be in a room full of people and deliberately leave the room just so that she could be like "I'm not getting any attention!" and go get a slipper.  My aunt finally sent her an old slipper as a Christmas present so she could have one of her own, which she did eventually take to using  instead of everyone else's.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Annie and Sam. (This video leaves out the part I like best when they are in the elevator sneaking looks at each other, but I can't find another one without some random obnoxious music playing over it.)

• Love 9

Food - The best I've done is WW.  Exercise - It changes.  Right now, I'm doing some weight training programs from a book, but I've done pretty much everything, except PiYo.  I can do Pilates.  I can do Yoga. But I'm only doing them on at a time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, OtterMommy said:

Food - The best I've done is WW. 

Same here. It's an excellent plan for anybody who just needs to get arms around what it really means to intake fewer calories than you will burn. It lets you go ahead and eat whatever kind of food that works for you, but it makes it crystal clear how much of it you can consume. 

You want pizza? Go ahead and have a slice of pizza. You want three slices? Well now you've consumed pretty much all your body actually needed to run for the day in one sitting.

• Love 1

Food - agree with OtterMommy on WW.  Exercise?  kind of a mixed bag.  I was in my best shape when I had a physical job (retail, actually - on my feet all the time, stocking shelves, unloading merch of trucks, etc) but didn't "work out" much.  I tend to prefer high-intensity workouts, like kickboxing, boot camp, etc, but since my knee injuries (yes, plural) a few years ago I haven't found a good replacement workout.  Lots of options, of course, but I get bored.  I am currently working out with a personal trainer once a week - and that works well for me. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Exercise?  kind of a mixed bag.  I was in my best shape when I had a physical job (retail, actually - on my feet all the time, stocking shelves, unloading merch of trucks, etc) but didn't "work out" much.  I tend to prefer high-intensity workouts, like kickboxing, boot camp, etc, but since my knee injuries (yes, plural) a few years ago I haven't found a good replacement workout.  Lots of options, of course, but I get bored.  I am currently working out with a personal trainer once a week - and that works well for me. 

I guess a more accurate answer to this question for me is the best exercise is the one that you are going to do.  While certain workouts worked for you in the past, they may not now.  It's not that kickboxing (or, in my case, PiYo) is a *bad* workout, it's just that we can't/won't do them.   I'm not sure there actually is a bad workout--unless it works against your body in some way.

However, when it comes to food, I do think that some of the "diets" out there are actually detrimental to people's health.

• Love 4

Extreme Cash Chopper.

It's either about creating and managing budgets, shredding money, or a trivia game show that takes place in tourist and/or commuter helicopters. I can't decide, or make any sense out of it.

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • LOL 5
27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

My Big Fat Coupon Chopper.

Boring.  I either need to change my name or move.

Yeah, really. Big Fat / Coupon is a tough start. I'm trying to figure out best case scenario if you move.

My Big Fat Coupon Mysteries - What happened to the coupon for "buy one large pizza, get a second one and a 2L bottle of soda for free"?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Police Miami Millionaire

I got nothin'

It could be a reality show or documentary about the Miami police protecting and/or arresting local millionaires. Catching people climbing the walls of their compounds trying to break in, as well as scenes of arresting them for being drunk and disorderly ("Do you know who I AM?!).

Edited by SweetieDarling
  • Love 5

I'm bringing Peanut Butter cookies (that happen to be dairy free/gluten free, but I use this recipe just because it's my favorite).

Ingredients

•  1 cup natural peanut butter
  •  1 cup sugar
  •  1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  •  1 large egg, lightly beaten
  •  Coarse sea salt, for sprinkling

Directions

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place the racks in the upper and lower third of the oven.
  •  In a medium bowl, mix the peanut butter, sugar, vanilla and egg until well combined. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture about 1 inch apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten the mounds with the tines of a fork, making a crosshatch pattern on the cookies. Sprinkle coarse salt on top of the cookies.
  •  Bake until golden around the edges, about 10 minutes, switching the position of the sheets halfway through baking. Transfer to racks to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.

I actually cook one sheet at a time, in the middle rack.  I have also found it takes more than 10 minutes.  However, I tend to make them larger than 1 tbs. 🙂 

• Love 4

Baked brie.

Take a round of brie, wrap it in crescent roll dough.  Bake (a minute or so more than recommended for crescent rolls on the dough package).  Viola.

However, I think it is improved if you take the time scrape off as much of the rind off the cheese as possible before you wrap it in the dough.  If you want to be fancy, you can also spread jam over the cheese before dough wrapping.

• Love 5