Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

I went to a small boarding school in Massachusetts in the 80's. We went on a school trip to see R.E.M. perform in a high school auditorium somewhere in Massachusetts. They weren't famous yet.

• Love 5
backstreet boys GIF

I was 14 years old in 1998 so I was their target demographic. Nosebleed seats, but my dad, sister, and I had a lot of fun anyway. My dad didn't know what to think when AJ (the one in the middle for non-Backstreet Boys fans) decided to hump the floor during a song and all of us teenage girls went ballistic. Ah, teenage hormones.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

My dad didn't know what to think when AJ (the one in the middle for non-Backstreet Boys fans) decided to hump the floor during a song and all of us teenage girls went ballistic. 

LOL, oh, dear :p. 

Gosh, my first concert...strangely, despite the fact that my dad worked in radio and got tickets to concerts from time to time, it wasn't until I was a teenager that I went to any. First one I can remember going to was back in 2000 and had three artists there-Head East, John Waite, and some other singer I can't remember right offhand. And that was a concert my dad got tickets to through his job. I would've been...15, nearly 16, I think, at the time? 

• Love 2

No Doubt came to Nashville when I was in seventh or eighth grade. We sat in the grassy area of Starwood where we got soaked when it started to rain. Then the lightning began (the genius in charge of their tour booked them at an outdoor arena at the beginning of tornado season) so they had to end halfway through.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, Drogo said:

What was the first live concert you ever attended?

Gary Glitter, my first day of university, early 80s.  Part of the on-campus entertainment.  (One of the two concerts I've attended, the other being REM.)

No photos, but I prefer farfalle to spaghetti for marinara or tomato-based meat sauces. It's already pretty much bite-sized, although mini farfalle is also available if you want very small bites. The advantage to me is that the sauce seems to stay on it better than on spaghetti noodles, and there's no need to twirl strands of spaghetti or cut it into manageable bites when serving to kids. 

• Love 3

26AA8400-1FB9-4ABB-9F7E-FB281444D360.jpeg.ae5e6bc357f915bd3926fa714895af8e.jpeg

I like this pasta with just about anything, but it is especially good with homemade pesto with basil from my garden. This pasta isn’t cheap, but it’s worth every bite. I get mine at Fresh Market...I stock up when it’s on sale. 

• LOL 1

@Drogo, is this like a desert island deal where I have to stick with my all around favorite? If so, it’s gotta be fusilli because it’s a great multi-taster.

If not, I’ll be back with more pictures and pasta love. 

6EAD4818-6E6D-45CC-983E-689148620060.jpeg

• Love 6

That's my fave too for the same reason. Good multitasker. Didn't know it was called fusilli though always called it corkscrew. I like that Target one that has the three different flavors. It's cheap too.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, festivus said:

That's my fave too for the same reason. Good multitasker. Didn't know it was called fusilli though always called it corkscrew. I like that Target one that has the three different flavors. It's cheap too.

7SD9Ba4.jpg

mhKcFiY.gif

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

@Drogo, is this like a desert island deal where I have to stick with my all around favorite? If so, it’s gotta be fusilli because it’s a great multi-taster.

If not, I’ll be back with more pictures and pasta love. 

6EAD4818-6E6D-45CC-983E-689148620060.jpeg

Not trying to ruin lives here, but this isn't fusilli.

It's rotini.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Hmm, I think that's what it says on the Target box but I don't have one to check right now. I'll just keep calling it corkscrew. Meanwhile that shell one that's called Conchiglie (!) will continue to be called shells. Everything else's name is spaghetti. Yep, even the bows. 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Drogo said:

Not trying to ruin lives here, but this isn't fusilli.

It's rotini.

True, but it's also even more reason for me to choose fusilli. I can replace the box of tri-color rotini I typically use for pasta salad with fusilli and not miss a beat. It can do the job of any corkscrew (I'm looking at you @festivus) pasta with minimal loss of function.

Or I can just bail on corkscrews altogether and go with bow tie shapes. I love the farfallini for soup and the farfelle for all sorts of things such as...

cZiqnOvl.jpg

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Drogo Is it time for a new Question of the day? 

It is!

A self-serving one, since I'm invited to a baby shower and they have asked for books instead of gifts...

What was your absolute favorite book as a child?

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss. Since it’s for a baby shower might I suggest Pat the Bunny* or Goodnight Moon. 

*Besides being a simple read, the pages also have something for the little one to touch making it interactive. 

• Love 3

Make Way For the Ducklings.  Blueberries for Sal.  Madeline.  Look Out The Window.  Anything from the Barney the Beagle series, but I liked Barney the Beagle and the Cat.

Sorry, I can't choose just one!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I don’t remember being a child, let alone reading. 

But I do remember reading with my children. 

From very early on, I always wrapped up whatever we read that night with a quick run through of The Going to Bed Book. Super cute and was essentially the signal that next move was lights out. 

And Harry the Dirty Dog is fun. 

5E8F6AB9-454F-45BA-9625-E4090485A826.jpeg

A58E7906-4DAA-410F-BB8F-85494B875F91.jpeg

• Love 6
1 minute ago, JTMacc99 said:

The Going to Bed Book. Super cute and was essentially the signal that next move was lights out. 

The early Sandra Boynton books are terrific - Moo Baa La La La; Doggies, etc - I used to enjoy reading those to my friend's daughter, who's in college now *wahhhhh*

Others I loved as a child

clifford.thumb.jpg.346d7da60ff4028a4fd986560142e81e.jpgcord.jpg.9135e20f5c546f3e80c0d5a1d44f0c09.jpg

• Love 3