Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Free gas -- I have a long commute, and while my car is a hybrid and gets great mileage, I still pay a lot for gas every week. 

For my second choice, I'll take free house cleaning. 

These are my picks, too. I would love the idea of free pizza, but realistically speaking, I think these two would serve both myself and my mom well in the long run. The free gas would save us a lot of money, and the free house cleaning...our place desperately needs a good sprucing up, so...

• Like 5

Free cell phone/service first.

After that, it's a tough decision.  I want meals out and alcohol, but I think I'll go with the house cleaning since I suck at that and I'm pretty good with eating and drinking. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Easy:  Free house cleaning and free alcohol. 

These.  I’d happily trade the alcohol for outdoor cleaning (snow, leaves, weeds, etc) which might even beat house cleaning.

• Like 3

The top one for me would be the free restaurant meal (although I would be picking up, as I haven't eaten at a restaurant since Feb. 29, 2020.  We pick up once a week).  Most of the others don't really apply to me because I can't drive and don't really wear makeup, etc.  I guess I would go for the housecleaning because we probably need it!

• Like 4

Mz Peaches posted this in chit-chat and I thought it would make a fun QotD.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Remember the Pandemic? Of course you do, we held each other close here for the duration. Do you remember we had to wash our hands for a certain amount of time, 30 seconds or a minute or something. Did anyone else sing a little ditty while washing? Mine was Little Bunny Foo Foo.

What did you sing? My answer to come. I'll bet nobody else has it. 😁

• Like 1

Old MacDonald Had A Farm.  In addition to farm animals and COVID patients, I also included disgruntled workers, with various curse words here, different curse words there, and everywhere yet another, different curse word.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
(edited)

I guess. I am pretty boring, I sang Happy Birthday X 3 while scrubbing my hands and then scrubbed just a bit longer to be sure I was clean.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 3
  • Wink 1
On 6/28/2023 at 1:23 PM, festivus said:

What did you sing? My answer to come. I'll bet nobody else has it. 😁

Okay, I'll bite, what is your answer?

On 7/16/2023 at 7:19 PM, Silent Scream said:

Okay, I'll bite, what is your answer?

Oops, I forgot about it. It twas this:

At first I sang  Happy Birthday which was what was suggested, but that ain't my jam. With this one you get to make up funny shit to sing to your cat. And that chorus is a classic. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, festivus said:

Oops, I forgot about it. It twas this:

At first I sang  Happy Birthday which was what was suggested, but that ain't my jam. With this one you get to make up funny shit to sing to your cat. And that chorus is a classic. 

Well worth the wait. 

Wow. I just noticed it’s been awhile since someone asked the question. I hope it’s ok that I do. 

Last night I lost all cable and internet so needed to find something to do. I read, although I thought about starting a jigsaw puzzle. What hobby do you like that doesn’t require electronics? 

• Like 4

Reading and if there's electricity just no internet: watching DVDs or listening to CDs.

Or just thinking 🙂. I have a huge imagination and can keep myself entertained for hours just making up fanfiction about my favorite shows in my head (without the need to write it down), or just having a stream of thoughts. No worries of getting bored for me.

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Reading and if there's electricity just no internet: watching DVDs or listening to CDs.

Or just thinking 🙂. I have a huge imagination and can keep myself entertained for hours just making up fanfiction about my favorite shows in my head (without the need to write it down), or just having a stream of thoughts. No worries of getting bored for me.

This reminds me of the day we lost our internet.  Our internet runs everything - our cable, our landline and we didn't even have data for our cell phones.  Basically, all we had was electricity.  And the entire family had Covid so we couldn't go out.  We read, I went on the exercise bike (since I couldn't do any of my workout videos) and listened to music on my old boom box from 1991.  

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Last night I lost all cable and internet…

This happened to me Friday morning. But I still had cell phone from my daughter's plan, so I spent way too much time mastering tethering devices to my cell phone data because they said it was just me and I'd have to wait until Sunday afternoon for a tech to come out. (Turned out it was widespread, and they fixed it Saturday afternoon.) 

almost-done.jpg.6dec7351e46d1e08fb843da5852e9f42.jpgBut I'm also almost done with a double-portrait watercolor for extended family, and I recently got out an old guitar and attempted to tune it — but apparently 30 years is really outside the lifespan of nylon strings; I didn't break them, but….

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Wow. I just noticed it’s been awhile since someone asked the question. I hope it’s ok that I do. 

When the thread was created the first rule was:

QotD "questions" will be gold posts.

Meaning only moderators would pose the questions, but since there seem to only be a couple of those these days, presumably standards have relaxed and anyone can do it.

I don't have internet access when the power is out, as I didn't replace my battery back-up for the U-Verse modem/router when it died, and now I don't have computer access without electricity, either, as its battery also needs to be replaced (it's a laptop hooked into a port replicator that's connected to all my components, so normally I can undock it and use it as a laptop on battery power).  Thankfully, power outages are a rare occurrence since I work from home.  The times I am without electricity, if there's sunlight I'll usually read or grab a deck of cards and play Solitaire the old-fashioned way.  If it's dark, I can see the cards by candlelight, but not see enough to read, so I may just go lie down and cuddle with the cat.

If I have electricity, there are lots of things to do that don't involve my computer or TV.  I just don't do as many of them as I used to.  Gardening has become more of a chore than a hobby, so I have more weeds than was typical.  But I do still spend plenty of time reading on the patio, and I go on a walk most evenings.  I used to shoot pool a fair bit, but I bet my pool table cover is dusty these days; I think I've been inspired to go out (it's in a game room separate from the house) later and see how rusty I've gotten.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Last night I lost all cable and internet so needed to find something to do. I read, although I thought about starting a jigsaw puzzle. What hobby do you like that doesn’t require electronics? 

I would tackle that pile of library books in my bedroom or maybe read one of the hundreds of books I have downloaded on my Kindle.  If the book is good enough, I won't miss my internet.  If I am not in the mood to read, then go out and grab a beverage or two at my local microbrewery or just go to bed.  It really depends on when I lost my internet.

• Like 4

Reading, writing, and drawing would be my main activities. Give me a good book or some paper and pen/pencil and I'm set for the next few hours :). 

• Like 4

We had a power outage for nearly three full days in January after an ice storm, and I spent a great deal of it sorting a few hundred baseball cards (with a lantern-type flashlight after dark) and putting them in the correct albums.  As the outage dragged on, I started rationing them but still finished the project before I went to bed on the third night.  Luckily the power was restored the second I got up the next day.

I get pretty grumpy when Internet is out, especially when it is a full Comcast outage with cable and landline out too, but at least it isn't cold when there's still power.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

During a 3 day power outage many years ago, I spent the evenings learning several forms of solitaire because cards and illustrations in a book were the only things I could really see by candlelight.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

I was snowed in by myself for five days many years ago; my husband was out of town and no one anticipated that it would snow five feet in three days and take down all the power lines. Since I was on a well (this is in the mountains) no running water either (besides losing power for lights and heat, you lose your well pump!), but I had the best wood stove and lots of food in the fridge (that went out in a cooler in the enclosed unheated porch) and freezer (out in the snow!) so I melted snow for water and washing, cooked on the stove and dug like crazy to keep the tunnel to the woodshed open enough to go get wood. Read and did cross words by candlelight and stove light with my cat on my lap. Other than really wanting a shower after the second day and yes, flush toilets are really best, I was really enjoying myself. You can take away everything but books I haven't read yet and pretty soon I won't miss whatever at all.

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 4/14/2024 at 9:43 PM, ECM1231 said:

@isalicat, what a pioneer woman! 👏

Yes, that is what I felt like at the time - quite indomitable! I could not do that again now for all sorts of reasons (the digging out to the wood shed every few hours all day and having to get up every two-three hours every night to put another log in the wood stove was a bit hard even then - 12 years ago) but at the time I realized how little you really need to sustain yourself and why actual printed books were and still are my primary entertainment resource. And a cat...having my big tom as company also was invaluable. 😺

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 4/13/2024 at 1:09 PM, Annber03 said:

Reading, writing, and drawing would be my main activities. Give me a good book or some paper and pen/pencil and I'm set for the next few hours :). 

I've recently rediscovered colouring books and newly discovered "paint by stickers" books, which makes me feel a bit juvenile and sad, but what the heck.

I do swear by my battery operated transistor radio, which I listen to in bed.  And having now officially become my father I'll sign off!

• Like 9
14 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I've recently rediscovered colouring books and newly discovered "paint by stickers" books, which makes me feel a bit juvenile and sad, but what the heck.

I do swear by my battery operated transistor radio, which I listen to in bed.  And having now officially become my father I'll sign off!

Not juvenile.  :) I have colouring books and pens that I keep forgetting to use, but I loved felt tip pens when I was a kid, and I still get that feeling when I see them in the store.  

I used to be an artist, and I just stopped.  Tried to get back into it, but it didn’t stick.  I still can’t believe that I stopped.  It was my “thing”. 

• Hugs 2
21 minutes ago, Anela said:

Not juvenile.  :) I have colouring books and pens that I keep forgetting to use, but I loved felt tip pens when I was a kid, and I still get that feeling when I see them in the store.  

I used to be an artist, and I just stopped.  Tried to get back into it, but it didn’t stick.  I still can’t believe that I stopped.  It was my “thing”. 

It's been a long time since I've heard/seen "felt tip pens".  Now I just need to bring sticky back plastic into the discussion.

pancake day GIF by BBC

• Love 1