Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

I think cottage cheese is just nasty!  Luckily I haven't had it for decades because when I was a kid, I told my mom I didn't like it and she said it was fine to just eat the fruit with dinner without cottage cheese.  I haven't felt the need to try it since.  I do enjoy singing along with the jingles in Daisy cottage cheese commercials though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 12/6/2020 at 9:29 AM, JTMacc99 said:

So they were out of plain bagels, so I brought home a couple of whole wheat bagels (which, by the way, are just as unhealthy as plain bagels.

@JTMacc99you're in (or near) NYC, aren't you?   This is the longest I have gone without a trip to NYC in over a decade .... I miss real bagels. 

7 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I think cottage cheese is just nasty!  Luckily I haven't had it for decades because when I was a kid, I told my mom I didn't like it and she said it was fine to just eat the fruit with dinner without cottage cheese.  I haven't felt the need to try it since.  I do enjoy singing along with the jingles in Daisy cottage cheese commercials though.

I don't like cottage cheese, either. Apparently I did when I was very little, though, according to my mom. Tastes must've just changed, I guess :p. 

• Love 1

I have a very eclectic palate. Grew up poor hamburger/roasts/tuna, first DH was Chinese immigrant his mom introduced me to so many new flavors/spices. Second DH was Hungarian immigrant a totally different range of food, really, totally different! I like all the things that have been listed so far, in moderation. I guess what I really don't like is food that is dripping/swimming in fat.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2020 at 3:26 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I can't even pass off a plain whole wheat bagel around here. A cinnamon raisin bagel might have caused my daughter to question if I even loved her.

As for my One Thing that I consider an unholy food item, it would be Ice Cream with Nuts in it.  Just, no.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the real life equivalent to this:

image.png.856b93c406fedc56dfa4bc1f49d05762.png

Cinnamon Raisin Bagels are my favorite!

What's your favorite Christmas song? You may list up to 10 because a) there's no way my list could be smaller than that and b) even that's pushing it. I'll be back later with mine and I'm also hoping to see stuff I've never heard of before.

I love Christmas music!

• Love 1

I will say that my number one holiday/seasonal music is the entirety of George Winston's "Winter" album.  I've decorated my tree to this album every year for decades now.  

I ADORE the Bing Crosby/Davie Bowie's version of "Peace on Earth/Drummer Boy."

And my guilty pleasure is my ridiculous love for a few songs on the soundtrack for the hallmark movie "Christmas Harmony" and have them downloaded to my phone. 

• "Every Year at Christmas"
  • "Cathedral Heart" 
  • "Hearts know it's never goodbye"  (more seasonal than xmas, though)  

• Love 2

I know it's not technically a Christmas song, but it mentions Christmas, and that's the only time I ever really hear it. Anyway, I like it. (I also consider "My Favorite Things" a sort-of Christmas song because it was on one of our Christmas albums when I was growing up. I don't know why, but it was, so to me, it's a Christmas song.)

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 1

Because when I love something I must list at least 10 things and also if I was doing a things I love doing most list, making lists would make the top ten. Anyhoo, here we go:

1. Christmas Eve Sarajevo - Trans-Siberian Orchestra. First song I listen to every year, gets me in the mood for Christmas.
  2. Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You - Billy Squier
  3. Christmas in Hollis - Run-D.M.C.
  4. Father Christmas - The Kinks
  5. Feliz Navidad - The dB's. If you've never heard this version you must listen. This is the happiest song ever.
  6. Little Drummer Boy - Joan Jett or Sleigh Ride - The Ronettes. I couldn't decide!
  7. Gather Round - Earth, Wind & Fire
  8. Christmas Can't Be Far Away - Eddy Arnold
  9. Christmas Time's a Comin' - Bill Anderson
  10. Christmas Time is Here - Bonnie Guitar 

Those last three are my very favorites from childhood, they were all on record no. 4 side two of a Readers Digest Christmas album set and must be heard in the original order.

This was so hard. I love so many songs!

My list of just songs is:

• Carol of the Bells
  • Little Drummer Boy
  • O Holy Night

You just can't mess those songs up.

• Love 2

Santa Claus is Comin' To Town -- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

O Holy Night by anyone who does it seriously and well.  It's just a beautiful piece of music.

All I Want For Christmas Is You -- because of Love, Actually.

I might think of others, but these are the ones that come to mind immediately.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

2) Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Darlene Love

I like U2's version of that song, too:

Others on my list include:

-"Christmas All Over Again"-Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

-"Christmas Day"-Squeeze

-"Christmas Lights"-Coldplay (I've really related to the bit in that song about how it doesn't feel like Christmas without snow lately :/)

-"Christmas Eve Sarajevo"-Trans-Siberian Orchestra

-"Do They Know it's Christmas?"-Band Aid. Yes, the lyrics are...eh, but there's a lot of good artists involved with that song, and it just feels, to me, like an official start to the holiday season when I hear it.

As for more traditional Christmas songs, I like:

-"Carol of the Bells" (this may be my favorite)

-"Silent Night" (there's a version of this by Mannheim Steamroller that always makes me tear up a bit)

-"Silver Bells"

-"I'll be Home for Christmas", bittersweet though it is

-"White Christmas". 'Cause again, I like snow at Christmas, dang it!

• Love 2

Most of these are singer-specific

I'll be home for Christmas (Sinatra or Straight no chaser)

Have yourself a merry little Christmas (Sinatra)

Happy Holiday (Andy Williams)

We three kings (Straight no chaser)

Donde esta Santa Claus (Straight no chaser)

Sleigh ride (Ella Fitzgerald or Boston pops)

In excelsis deI

Carol of the bells

Hark the herald angels sing

Christmas collage (Kathy something)

• Love 1

The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) - Alvin and the Chipmunks

Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt

Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Bruce Springsteen

All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey

Rocking Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee

Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms

Feliz Navidad - Jose Feliciano

• Love 3

"Last Christmas" by Wham! (and I complain when it is edited down from the original seven minutes for radio).

"Sleigh Ride," especially by The Ronettes.  I remember first hearing their version in high school (1991) when our English teacher played Christmas music and just let us goof off and do "extra credit" the last day before break, but for some reason it took many years before I finally was able to identify the artist (no Internet then), so I just kept buying albums that had the song in some form.

"Merry Christmas All" by The Salsoul Orchestra.  I love it when they talk about the "yummy time of the year." 

And the cat decided this post is over because he's not getting enough attention and wants to walk on the keyboard and bite me.

ETA: "This Christmas" by Donny Hathaway was the one I was going to add before the cat interrupted.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added "This Christmas."
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
  • God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
  • O Little Town of Bethlehem
  • Silent Night

BTW, I have zero Christian ancestors. Music is music.

Since we’re doing versions by artists, complete with media:

and: 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

I'll add these:  

The Charlie Brown Christmas music -- the whole soundtrack to the show.

The Bing Crosby/David Bowie version of Little Drummer Boy.

All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth.

I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas (along with Puppy for Hanukkah -- I know, not a Christmas song, but it's delightful!)

• Love 3

I don't celebrate Christmas & I pretty much get sick to death of all Christmas songs the first week they start getting played, usually right after Thanksgiving. The only song I can say I actually like is (maybe this should go in "unpopular opinions" 😀 ) Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" .

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't celebrate Christmas & I pretty much get sick to death of all Christmas songs the first week they start getting played, usually right after Thanksgiving. The only song I can say I actually like is (maybe this should go in "unpopular opinions" 😀 ) Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You" .

I like this song also.

2 hours ago, partofme said:

I need to add Do You Hear What I Hear to my list. 

That is also on my list of favorites 

• Love 1
On 12/10/2020 at 7:33 AM, Quof said:

@JTMacc99you're in (or near) NYC, aren't you?   This is the longest I have gone without a trip to NYC in over a decade .... I miss real bagels. 

Hate to say, but just bought 6 egg bagels with everything on them.  Vegetable cream cheese too.  I dunk in coffee.  Sorry.  ( Long Island)