Type keyword(s) to search

Dear Diary: Question Of The Day(s)

Message added by JTMacc99

Reminder:  This isn't a discussion thread.  Either answer the question, or skip it and come back for the next one.   

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't do karaoke, but I do (attempt) to sing Cara Mia when I am in the shower, does that count? 

Sure, why not? I sing in the car by myself and if anyone is lucky enough to be in there with me, they get a free show.

Just yesterday on my way to the Walmart, I tore the shit out of this:

Proud Mary

I don't think I'd do that at karaoke night because; Tina Turner, but if I did, I'd have to start drinking again. 😅

• Love 8

Sigh. That video. Miss ya, Tom.

Great song choice, though, yes :). Quite a lot of his songs would make for good karaoke picks.

1 hour ago, auntlada said:

Although I discovered in the car yesterday that I still know all the words to this:

Same :D! I remember this song being on some tape of '80s songs I used to listen to all the time as a kid. 

1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

Second choice: Train in Vain (The Clash). 

Love that song. If I were gonna do a Clash song, though, it'd probably be "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" 

Ultimately, though, I think I'd probably pick something by the Spice Girls. Like this:

This song would be most fun with a group of girls on stage, of course, but hell, I'd sing it solo, I don't care :D. And if I had a guy on stage with me, I'd also be up for doing the B-52s' "Love Shack". 

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't do karaoke, but I do (attempt) to sing Cara Mia when I am in the shower, does that count?  The key word is "attempt".  Someone can kick me in the groin a thousand times, and I still will never hit the high notes.

LOL, same. I have a strange thing for liking songs and artists, especially male ones, that can hit notes I could never hope to reach in a million years :p. 

(Good song, that, by the way.)

• Love 6

I’ve never done karaoke, but it it’s been on my bucket list for many years. I always imagine the song being Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee.”

Meanwhile, I sing and hum in the shower and on walks in weather too cold for anyone else. The last couple of days it was Simon and Garfunkel songs. Got to practice for my future karaoke night —wherever and whenever that may be. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I’ve never done karaoke, but it it’s been on my bucket list for many years. I always imagine the song being Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee.”

I'd do a duet w/ you if you'd like!  

This was one of the songs one of my sister's and I sang together when we did dishes at night.  

I've been told I sound pretty good on Dream a Little Dream of me by Mama Cass so I'd probably do that one.  

• Love 6

I would probably pick "The Game of Love" by Santana featuring Michelle Branch.  However, I have a lot of experience singing "Hearts" by Marty Balin to my cat because I would play the same mixed CD over and over during my workout and that song would come up just before it was time to give him his dental food.  I sang to him once during this time, and he came to expect it ever since.  He enjoyed this song more than others, as he would react (meow or chatter) at the appropriate times instead of just licking himself the whole time.

• Love 9

You don't have to sing well to do karaoke.  Just have fun!  Ok, so I'll pick a few of my "go-tos" and post them here.  

In the beginning I always went for - Wild Boys by Duran Duran.  It's one of my fave 80s bands and in my range.  Plus it's a good song for belting.

Soon after I learned I could "rock out" Wannabe by the Spice Girls, even doing all parts and get the whole bar behind me singing along.

To mix things up, I added Pepper by the Butthole Surfers.

And I've since added Rich Girl by Hall & Oates, a few songs by The Hooters, I Love Rock & Roll, Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, love doing either part of Love Shack, and several others.  I can also highlight exactly how creepy Barbie Girl is (and still have fun with it).  Oh, and if a certain 5 others join we all do Cellblock Tango. 

• Love 4
On 2/5/2021 at 8:11 AM, JTMacc99 said:

Bonus question: And which type or flavor of chip do you hate with the fire of a thousand nuns?

Thank you for bringing the nuns back into the conversation.  I tried to reintroduce them recently on another thread and no-one recognized them.

Chips (crisps) I hate: cheese and onion.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

You are a princess attending a royal ball. Show us what dress your fairy godmother made for you!

The last time I saw my mother in person --before the pandemic and before she passed last summer-- she could no longer move or speak, but she could focus her eyes and blink and think, so I spent hours showing her pictures on my laptop, and when we had looked at all of them, I spent many more hours with her Googling Red Carpet Fashion because she had always loved that --fashion and Hollywood. Here's one that Mom, ever the Fairy Godmother, might have selected for the ball, although Mom, whose last job was managing fashion boutiques, would have done something more attractive with the belt, and the sleeves would have been either longer or shorter:
https://images.app.goo.gl/zpAWdvHUcu6gk79L8
cannes15-810x540.jpg

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7

This is only the most important question you guys have ever asked, heh. As the true Princess that I am, I could never settle on just one dress for such an event. So I narrowed it down to 5 after must research into the wee hours of the morning last night. They are as follows:

7b7529004f57b437dc8ee5df48ec9f7a.jpg

93affdb5dbeb6f563b649b889d817d29.jpg

6826f593c662a4805628530b8b50f8f2.jpg

7842057fb2c29a374bf839e437f6f2b0.jpg

file_57de3a6b0e_original.jpg

• Love 6

You've died and gone on to whatever is necessary to make this question work.

You are greeted by a representative of the afterlife who is there to answer any questions about your time on earth!

First you MUST get the answer to one of these three questions:

• Everyone who secretly had a crush on you at some point
  • The grossest thing you ever ate
  • Biggest financial opportunity you missed (and how much)

Tell us which one, and then tell us at least one more question you would ask.*

* No politics, no COVID, and no broad "Why are people terrible..." please.

For ideas, here are John Larroquette and Dana Carvey in the sketch that inspired this question.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

After watching that sketch and getting the parameters for grossest thing I ever ate, it would have to be whatever I ordered from this hole-in-the-wall late night restaurant back in grad school.  I knew this place had questionable food handling procedures, but their onion rings were that perfectly golden brown you can only achieve with old oil in a fryer that was never cleaned properly.  I also knew, never to actually set foot in that establishment in daylight and sober.  I only ordered delivery from there.

Also, soft serve ice cream.  Like seriously, so many restaurants do no clean their machines properly.  The reason why the ice cream machine is always down at McDonalds--they have not properly cared for it and the old mix has frozen solid inside.  

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Biggest financial opportunity I missed. I’m definitely money-motivated so I would want to know. 

The question I would ask? WHO KILLED JON-BENET?!! (I may have a true crime problem.)

Yeah. And who was Jack the Ripper. I needs to know.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Biggest financial opportunity I missed. I’m definitely money-motivated so I would want to know. 

The question I would ask? WHO KILLED JON-BENET?!! (I may have a true crime problem.)

33 minutes ago, festivus said:

Yeah. And who was Jack the Ripper. I needs to know.

Did Lee Harvey Oswald act alone?  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Everyone who secretly had a crush on you at some point

This one. Cause I'll find everyone that didn't and rattle my ghostly chains at them and shriek in their ear.

My other question: Why aren't we bald? Do aliens like on the X-Files exist? Of course they do. So why do they get to be bald and we don't? It would have saved so much trouble. I would have rocked my bald head. But then everyone would just make fun of the shape of each others heads. So never mind. Why does humanity suck so much? 😘

• Love 6

I love that in the SNL sketch that the 200th most disgusting thing he ate was a butterscotch pudding with a dead earwig in it. 

I’d still ask that question. What would I care at that point, I’d be dead. 

My question would be: What skill did I have that I never discovered? 

Maybe I could have been a terrific auctioneer or banjo player and went my whole life without knowing. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

First you MUST get the answer to one of these three questions:

• The grossest thing you ever ate
  • Biggest financial opportunity you missed (and how much)

I think I’m missing something here but why would I be asking what was the grossest thing I ever ate? Is that implying I’ve eaten a lot of stuff that was gross but I didn’t realize it?  I think I can figure out what financial opportunities I’ve missed (Apple? Amazon?) so I’d have to go with the crushes.  Then I think I would ask for that guy’s Bitcoin password. 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I think I’m missing something here but why would I be asking what was the grossest thing I ever ate? Is that implying I’ve eaten a lot of stuff that was gross but I didn’t realize it?

Correct. It is implying that during our lifetime we ate things we didn’t realize we were eating. This is the chance to find out what those things were. 

Probably a lot of bugs. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Correct. It is implying that during our lifetime we ate things we didn’t realize we were eating. This is the chance to find out what those things were. 

Probably a lot of bugs. 

Yep, that’s something I definitely don’t want to know. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

You've died and gone on to whatever is necessary to make this question work.

…a representative of the afterlife who is there to answer any questions about your time on earth!

First you MUST get the answer to…:

… then tell us at least one more question you would ask.*

Everyone who secretly had a crush on you at some point”???  
I guess the point to this question is that the answer will be too long, too short, or too embarrassing, and that I’m just supposed to list the question, but following suit from some of the above:   
In my 40s, shortly after I moved for a job back to the area where I had gone to high school, a person I worked with who happened to live in the house I grew up in came to my office to tell me that one of my best friends from high school had just recently died of cancer, which she learned from my former bff’s younger brother, who lived in the neighboring house where they grew up, and that he had had a crush on me when we were in high school.
Sorry. Tl/dr and TMI.  
But the story could be even longer. 

So. Just 1 question??? 
I may have to edit this later.  
But here it is:

Are there alternate universes where I made other choices and/or other people whose lives intersected with mine made other choices?

• Love 1