Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

But I just read the Wikipedia article about the series, and it made it sound like Pittsburgh is the primary location - that episodes contain both present-day events and flashbacks to the past, and present-day is spread out among several cities (as are the characters in real time) while the flashbacks generally take place in Pittsburgh (where the family grew up).  Is that not true?

Yes the flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh and LA/NJ/Philadelphia are where the present day scenes take place so it isn’t technically incorrect it’s just the way locations are used on the show is ridiculous which is why I said it wasn’t a good fit for the category not that the answer was incorrect.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

Yes the flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh and LA/NJ/Philadelphia are where the present day scenes take place so it isn’t technically incorrect it’s just the way locations are used on the show is ridiculous which is why I said it wasn’t a good fit for the category not that the answer was incorrect.

I suspect that's why they specified primary location in describing the category (since Pittsburgh seems to indeed be the primary location if the show is half flashbacks and all flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh while present-day scenes are spread out among several cities), and included the clue within the clue since just saying, effectively, "This is Us is primarily set here" would be different than saying that about the other shows.  But, yes, with all the shows set in one city with only occasional sojourns to others, perhaps it should have been left out altogether rather than taking additional steps to fit the category.

• Love 2
Just now, Bastet said:

describing the category (since Pittsburgh seems to indeed be the primary location if the show is half flashbacks and all flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh while present-day scenes are spread out among several cities), 

It’s not half the show particularly now when there are FFwds and more concentrated action and FB that don’t occur in Pittsburgh, etc.

The less said about tonight's game the better.

In other news, I'm feeling especially stupid since the All-Star tournament. I'm blaming that abomination (too strong?) for completely throwing me off my game.

<sad>

• Love 1

I got Lister and Air Force Acedemy, maybe others, I can never remember the ones I get after the show

I was thinking Remember Pearl Harbor for FJ, like Remember the Alamo.  But what would Filipinos care about Pearl Harbor?  All I had

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My immediate thought for FJ was, in an Arnold accent, "I'll be baaack." Thankfully, I changed it to the correct answer in time. I'm surprised none of the players guessed the Arnold line.

Me, too.  I was like, wait that's not right. LOL.

• LOL 1

I agree with everyone who said that the Johnson answer should have had a BMS. I got Air Force Academy, the DD decimal, Phil O’Dendron, the DD Kellogg, and Lister. Stumped on FJ. 

I was debating about signing up for the test, but my performance this week is telling me that I’m not good enough. We’ll see. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I agree with everyone who said that the Johnson answer should have had a BMS. I got Air Force Academy, the DD decimal, Phil O’Dendron, the DD Kellogg, and Lister. Stumped on FJ. 

I was debating about signing up for the test, but my performance this week is telling me that I’m not good enough. We’ll see. 

You should definitely take the test! I find when I watch there are some days when I know almost every answer and some days in when I wonder why the heck I think I'm good enough to be a contestant. There's no harm in taking the test. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me today.  I'm surprised the former champ didn't get it.  Congrats to the new champ!

Is it bad that I kind of loved the weird Irish category?  Silly, yes, but fun.

I managed to get the TS/missed DD of Air Force, decimal, Phil O'Dendron, and Lister.  I would have to turn in my microbiologist card if I'd missed Lister!

I enjoyed the Irish category (and don't usually like these kinds) and got everything but Phil O'Dendron - plants aren't my thing (I have a brown thumb).

I am rightly ashamed that I missed Air Force, given that was my father's service, and we lived right by the Academy for years (when I was a child)

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wait, "Johnson" is okay for senator/president? Did I miss something?

We thought it needed a BMS too.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Harding TS surprised me in that no one even guessed one of the eight options to choose from (since the clue specified he died in office).  Same with the Air Force Academy clue, with only five options and not a single one of them guessed.

Alex was funny with his yes, we went there reaction to Phil O'Dendron.

I had Harding's face in my mind, but Taft came out of my mouth. Sigh...

9 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I had brain freeze on Lister, which is pretty pathetic since I just recently listened to a great podcast interview with an author who has a new bio about him.

What is the book, please?  The newest I see is The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister's Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine (2017).

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I got Lister and Air Force Acedemy, maybe others, I can never remember the ones I get after the show.

I sometimes go to the Jeopardy! Archives; helps jog my memory.

Yeah, liked Alex's reaction to the Irish category.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

FJ was an IG because I have an uncle who collects military memorabilia and has one.

Good for your uncle! This from TheJeoparyFan.com: "According to a 1995 Washington Post article, the matchbooks were worth $160 in 1995; they are definitely a prized collectible in 2019." There is a link to the WaPo article on the site.

I agree that This Is Us was a bad choice for location city, especially when there are so many other tv shows that could have been used instead. That show time travels to different places more than Timeless did.

• LOL 1

Did anyone else know there is a hair-cut style named The Caesar? Man, I sure didn't. I thought the picture looked like an extra-short "Moe" cut, but otherwise didn't have a clue. It was just a "regular" hair cut IMO.

Does every hair cut/hair style have a name now? If so, mine is High School Gym Hair, just fyi.

• Love 1

Great game for Steven! 

2 GFY! 🍹🍹

TS I got were Air Force, decimal (Steven's DD), Lister. FJ was an insta-guess - it came to me immediately, but I had no idea if it was right or not. 

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I had Harding's face in my mind, but Taft came out of my mouth. Sigh...

I pictured Taft, but knew it wasn't him. I said "the one with the illegitimate daughter", and Dr. Toothbrush replied, "Abraham Lincoln" Not even sure where that guess came from 😜

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Did anyone else know there is a hair-cut style named The Caesar? Man, I sure didn't. I thought the picture looked like an extra-short "Moe" cut, but otherwise didn't have a clue. It was just a "regular" hair cut IMO.

Does every hair cut/hair style have a name now? If so, mine is High School Gym Hair, just fyi.

I knew because George Clooney had (still has?) it and somehow that so very important fact stuck in my brain 🙄 I have a pixie cut, so of course took that clue as a shoutout to moi. HS gym hair sounds low maintenance - ponytail & you're good to go! 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

See, 1776 tripped me up—I always get Samuel Chase mixed up with Salmon P. Chase and think the he/they are all 18th century people. The only Chief Justice I know from the 19th century is that horrible one who ruled in the Dred Scott case and whose name I can’t recall offhand.

Roger Taney - he actually was a good Justice, and his decisions on many other cases were sound, but that one - oy, it was so bad that there's no way to redeem his reputation after that.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I also got Air Force and Lister. 

I got Air Force.  Should've gotten Lister but could not drag his name out of my brain.  I did get Dr. Schweitzer.  I did better than I'd expect on the Presidential category, but worse than expected in Called Out In Song.

FJ was an insta-get for me.  Philippines + WWII = Bataan Death March = MacArthur = "I Shall Return"

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

He was in the Senate. In fact, he was Senate Majority leader.  He wasn't impeached.  I hadn't noticed that the player didn't say Andrew, but yes, they should have asked for a BMS.

Yep, part 2 of a biography of LBJ was titled "Master of the Senate".  One of the few political bios I know much about.

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Harding TS surprised me in that no one even guessed one of the eight options to choose from (since the clue specified he died in office). 

I had no idea that Harding died in office.  Presidential trivia is a really bad area for me.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't watch the show, but I got it right because, as a football fan, the "terrible towel" part of the clue made it an instaget.

I'm not a football fan, but know some Steelers fans, so the terrible towel was a dead giveaway.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Like Toothbrush, I knew it because of George Clooney.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

How high were the writers when they came up with the Irish People? Category?

I read that as Cat O'Gory.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Mine is Anonymous.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Samurai Lincoln said:

I was unreasonably delighted by the "Tenth", "Doctor", and "Allons-y" categories. Judging by the lack of response in the studio and on here, the clue-writer and I are a party of two. 

I noticed it, but was then severely disappointed that there was not a single "Doctor Who" related clue to be found anywhere.

Anyone else amused that Alex gave a preemptive "before their time" as soon as the World War II category was revealed?  Much as people like to make fun of that, he usually limits it to clues that are about pop culture in some way.  Movies, popular songs, fads--the sort of thing you don't learn about in school, but are most likely to be familiar to those who lived through them.  It's unusual for World War II to get a Before Their Time.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Driad said:

What is the book, please?  The newest I see is The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister's Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine (2017).

Yep, that’s it! The podcast is Hidden Histories, and the ep was from the end of February. They recorded the ep in the Old Operating Theatre Museum in London, which adds an interesting touch when casual museum-goers can be heard commenting on what she is saying. I forgot that the show does point out the book is an award winner, and so not new.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

For some reason I recognized it as Caesar's hair style, so I got it. I don't know many current hairstyles. Mine is old lady who does not want to spend more than 3 minutes in the morning.

Count me in on being both pleased and disappointed with the Doctor Who categories.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Anyone else amused that Alex gave a preemptive "before their time" as soon as the World War II category was revealed?

Yes. It was the way he said it:)

I had a good amount of ts's for a change, decimal, Phil O'Dendron, Dr. Schweitzer, Brittany and Dr. Lister after I quickly switched from Louis Pasteur. Trey household came up with I Shall Return. 

Welcome, @Samurai Lincoln

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Yes, Dr. Ross on E.R. was well known for his Caesar haircut. I don't think Clooney has maintained it since then, though.

He wore one in the Coen Brothers' Hail Caesar! Of course he was playing an actual Roman there. Or rather he was playing an actor playing a Roman.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

For some reason I recognized it as Caesar's hair style, so I got it. I don't know many current hairstyles. Mine is old lady who does not want to spend more than 3 minutes in the morning.

Me, too!  I was going to call it, "retired, low-maintenance!"

• Love 2

It took me an embarrassingly long amount of time to come up with the correct FJ answer. Saved from a shutout this week, thank goodness.

I like calm contestants.

Another instaget FJ for me tonight! 

I liked Kenji's story, but something about him bugged me.  Oh, wait, I know -- he didn't start at the tops of the categories.  After so many days of logical (to me) play, it was jarring.  So it didn't hurt my feelings that he lost.

Good game tonight -- not too many TS.  Or at least not too many that I got.  I did get Howard Hughes, feathers, and Jane Pittman.  I was stunned that no one guessed feathers!  Feathers should be the first thing you think of when you think of birds!  Also, bats have wings, as do many many insects, like the stink bug that was in my house earlier today.

• Love 4

I got the same three TSs tonight. A bit disappointed no one got Miss Jane Pitman, because that movie is part of my childhood. I haven’t read the book, but it is still readily found on bookstore shelves. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Anyone else amused that Alex gave a preemptive "before their time" as soon as the World War II category was revealed? 

And after he said that, I thought, "It was before YOUR time too, Trebek." Except he was born in 1940.  But still ...

32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

like the stink bug that was in my house earlier today.

I didn't think you noticed me.

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I read that as Cat O'Gory.

Good one. Extra points for you, Peeayebee.

7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I have a pixie cut, so of course took that clue as a shoutout to moi. HS gym hair sounds low maintenance - ponytail & you're good to go!

The first time I ever got my hair cut ever, it was so long I could sit on it, it got cut into a Pixie cut. It was all the rage and style then. (The hair salon sold my hair for nice $, I found out later.) As for what HS Gym hair is, you nailed it exactly.

• LOL 4

As a kid, I remember watching The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman.  It was a huge TV movie event, as I recall.  For today's contestants, it was before their time, of course.

Nice that they worked Angus & Malcolm Young into the siblings category.

I, too, chuckled at yesterday's categories of Tenth, Doctor, and Allons-y and was disappointed there weren't any Dr. Who questions.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

.....I’m not good enough.

You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like you. :-)

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Did anyone else know there is a hair-cut style named The Caesar? 

.....mine is High School Gym Hair, just fyi.

Yes.

Mine is put it in a ponytail, grow for several years, donate to Locks of Love, repeat process.

38 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I liked Kenji's story, but something about him bugged me.  

He leaned and his tie was wonky. That's what bugged me.

I got Howard Hughes and Jane Pittman tonight. I was also sad that no one knew Jane Pittman, as I grew up on all those movies/mini-series.

My first guess for FJ was clouds. Then I thought of stars (as in, over the moon), realized that made no sense, thought of tectonic plates because why not, then went back to clouds. Good for me. Although this has been a bad FJ week for me, I'm not a complete loser.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

FJ 

I had no idea that Harding died in office.  Presidential trivia is a really bad area for me.

One of my favorite things is the theory that his wife actually murdered him because he cheated on her.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, lb60 said:

My first guess for FJ was clouds. Then I thought of stars (as in, over the moon), realized that made no sense, thought of tectonic plates because why not, then went back to clouds. Good for me. Although this has been a bad FJ week for me, I'm not a complete loser.

My first guess was something to do with seventh heaven, but then I saw "meteorological". Duh! It must be clouds . . . plate nine . . . cloud nine!

• Love 2

I fairly quickly came up with 'clouds' from 'meteorological atlas', but it took me far longer (just before Kenji's answer was revealed) to make the connection to 'cloud nine'. I got there eventually, though!

I liked Kenji. His story was cute.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

My first guess was something to do with seventh heaven, but then I saw "meteorological". Duh! It must be clouds . . . plate nine . . . cloud nine!

Your thought process makes a lot more sense than mine. lol

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Good one. Extra points for you, Peeayebee.

🎉

I got Howard Hughes, feathers, and Jane Pittman. 

FJ took me a second. Once I thought about what the phrase of euphoria was, I quickly got to clouds and was very pleased with myself. I also would love to see those meteorological plates.

I was so happy that Steven got that right. I'm rooting for him.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I got FJ from the use of “atlas” in the clue—for some reason, Cloud Atlas, from the movie, jumped into my head. 

That’s how I got it as well! 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I loved Alex's "What are feathers?  Birds have feathers!" reaction to that TS.  Because, yeah. 

I would have said beaks; I can't think offhand of any other creatures that have them. 

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's like I have a twin!

Make that triplets!

6 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I got FJ from the use of “atlas” in the clue—for some reason, Cloud Atlas, from the movie, jumped into my head. I completely missed the “nine” part.

I remembered the book/movie too. I also thought of the Temptations song, quite a dark one about using drugs (I theorize) to escape an unhappy reality.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

would have said beaks; I can't think offhand of any other creatures that have them. 

Turtles, squid/octupus, some fish and a few other animals.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I got FJ from the use of “atlas” in the clue—for some reason, Cloud Atlas, from the movie, jumped into my head. I completely missed the “nine” part.

Mine was more from the book. (which I couldn't finish - the movie either. They bored me to tears.)  I knew the 9 part was important, and somewhere in the mess that is my brain, the phrase was there, but I couldn't come up with it.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I loved Alex's "What are feathers?  Birds have feathers!" reaction to that TS.  Because, yeah. 

That was akin to the SNL's "its a freaking hammer!".   Heh, I will admit, my mind went blank also.