Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

47 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Hilarious that DeForest Kelly was a TS. What's up with no Trekkies on this panel? I just got done watching the original ST, and Next Gen is on now. Love me some Picard.

What was the DeForest Kelly question?  Today's Jeopardy was pre-empted here for sp*rts and I can't find it on Youtube yet so I just looked up FJ (and got it, yay Poe and suspense!).

Another big fan of Picard. And Spock. Not Kirk.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Driad said:

What was the DeForest Kelly question? 

The category was TV Doctors and they showed Kelly's picture. I don't remember the clue, but either "Bones" was in it or Trebek called him "Bones" after the TS. I'm guessing someone else here remembers better than I do.

I never saw the appeal of Kirk, even though he was the "sex appeal" guy. Spock was my man. And yes, Picard over Riker!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

That was a great game.  Except for Alex attempting to impersonate Hitchcock (thankfully, FJ was an instaget so I didn't get distracted by his horrible effort).

But, Stephanie, the correct answer is, “Ugh, who are the fucking Patriots?”

Marie Antoinette was a stunning TS.  Maybe they all over-thought it, figured it was too simple and would wind up being an embarrassing guess?  But Kate had a few answers where she thought she was wrong but went ahead anyway (and was right), so who knows?  The India TS surprised me not that none of the three knew the specific fact at hand, but that none of them guessed it based on the entire clue.  Washington was also a bit surprising.  Newsome didn’t surprise me, because none of the three seemed to be at all confident in the sports category; it would have had they seemed strong on sports, but not under these circumstances.

The Arts category was better suited to the first round.  Same with the Quaker DD. 

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But, Stephanie, the correct answer is, “Ugh, who are the fucking Patriots?”

New was in quotation marks (I think), so the correct answer actually is “Ugh, who are the fucking New England Patriots “

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

Just when I got used to the buzzer abuse, Lyndsey loses. Ah well, she was a fierce competitor, had a lot of knowledge, and won a lot of $$$. GFH 🍹 And her gender is irrelevant to me as far as the buzzer annoyance is concerned. I like Jonathan so far, & Stephanie was really good too.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:18 PM, Mindthinkr said:

@Browncoat I love Justin Wilson too. Especially how he pronounces the word onions!

He was a friend of my great-grandfather's. I never got the opportunity to meet him (PawPaw died when I was a baby), but evidently he was very funny as well as a good cook.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:29 PM, teebax said:

Speaking of the show, my per diem check arrived today. I was hoping it'd be a fancy Jeopardy check I could frame (I just take a picture to deposit). Alas, it was boring. But it said Jeopardy so I'm still going to frame it. Anyway, it just got really real that I'm flying out there next weekend. Crazy!

I'm so excited for you!!! Best of luck! 

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

She had exploratory surgery today and it's NOT lymphoma; she's just got IBD which can be controlled with special food and a short course of Prednisolone.  And I'm not typing up dead pet charts anymore!!  I'm much happier. Stella is still in the hospital and Bosco's wandering around, totally lost without her. There's nobody to wash the top of his head.

The 2 feline Toothbrushes send good kitty juju to Stella. They like to groom the top of each other's heads too. This is the first time for us having more than 1 cat and I had no idea that was a kitty thing - I just thought they were weird 😻

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Earlier, I was continuing my binge-watching of Doc Martin, which ran over into J! time. I turned over to J! just in time to see the Doc Martin question and I'm still laughing. 

Wow, that's crazy! I love these kinds of coincidences.

I thought this was interesting: The show was created by Dominic Minghella and Doc Martin's name, Ellingham, is an anagram of Minghella.

Cool to know! 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

LOL at Trebek's (really poor) Hitchcock imitation when reading the FJ clue. At least it had absolutely no bearing on the answer, thank goodness.

At least we didn't get his Robby Burns.

I couldn't remember Deforest Kelley's name. James Doohan immediately came to mind, but I knew that was Scottie.

Instead of space suit I said astronaut suit. I also got Marie Antoinette (duh) and India (a guess). FJ seemed pretty easy.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I never saw the appeal of Kirk, even though he was the "sex appeal" guy.

My friends and I joked that James T. Kirk's middle name was Tantalizing.  Tantalizing refers to something you want but can't have.  Kirk was the opposite.

• LOL 1

Nice to see I wasn’t the only one who was thinking of the full name, the fucking New England Patriots!

Marie Antoinette killed me, as did no one even attempting George Washington when spotted US president and 18th century. You don’t have a lot of choices. 

• Love 3

I was surprised no one knew George Washington. He resigned his commission in the Continental Army at the state capital in Annapolis to return to his beloved Mt. Vernon to farm.

And there being such limited choices, it being 18th century nicknames and all. My only thought was that the reference to Cincinnatus threw them off. That one and Marie Antoinette seemed like shockingly easy TSes.

I liked all three contestants a lot, and how competitive it was at the end.

On 3/20/2019 at 8:29 PM, teebax said:

I really hope I have a chance to answer "Aaron Burr" on my show. I freaking love that commercial. Speaking of the show, my per diem check arrived today. I was hoping it'd be a fancy Jeopardy check I could frame (I just take a picture to deposit). Alas, it was boring. But it said Jeopardy so I'm still going to frame it. Anyway, it just got really real that I'm flying out there next weekend. Crazy!

Per diem check?  I didn't get no per diem check!  I guess they treat you all fancy when you're in a tournament! 🙂

Seriously, good luck to you!  I was afraid that I was going to have divided loyalties.  Ruth Payne, who was one of my opponents on my third show and is now my Facebook friend, recently posted that her husband has qualified for the show.  He's a teacher, so she thought he might be in the Teachers Tournament.  But he's not; he'll be in one of the regular games, so now I can root for @teebax with no reservations!

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Etta Place said:

Marie Antoinette killed me, as did no one even attempting George Washington when spotted US president and 18th century. You don’t have a lot of choices. 

I forgot about the category being 18th century.

• Love 2

For Final Jeopardy, I had another curious experience; the same kind that's happened to me before.  I read the clue early in the day on jeopardyfan.com, and had no idea.  Then, when I was actually watching the show and Alex read it, Poe was an insta-get.  Maybe it was Alex's neato Hitchcock impersonation that made the difference? 🙂

For the 18th Century clue, I waffled between Washington and Jefferson, who was also a farmer, but settled on Washington, since he was better known for his Just-Let-Me-Go-Home-and-Farm attitude.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

On the "Doc Martin" front, Mrs Genius and I are big fans (loved Clunes ever since he played Barmy Fungy-Phipps on JEEVES & WOOSTER). A friend gave her a boxed set of DVDs of the first six series and the two movies... and our dog, Bandit, promptly chewed up the package while we were out of the house (no damage to the discs, though). Mrs taped it all back together as neatly as she could, and -- a few days later the dog tore into them AGAIN! We figured it's because the Doc hates dogs. And no matter how we explain to Bandit that he's just ACTING, the dog won't believe us.

BTW, Bandit's also an eclectic book destroyer. He's eaten the covers off of my wife's bible as well as a Rex Stout, Stephen King, Harper Lee, and Lee Child... so far.

Edited by Gimmick Genius
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

On the "Doc Martin" front, Mrs Genius and I are big fans (loved Clunes ever since he played Barmy Fungy-Phipps on JEEVES & WOOSTER). A friend gave her a boxed set of DVDs of the first six series and the two movies... and our dog, Bandit, promptly chewed up the package while we were out of the house (no damage to the discs, though). Mrs taped it all back together as neatly as she could, and -- a few days later the dog tore into them AGAIN! We figured it's because the Doc hates dogs. And no matter how we explain to Bandit that he's just ACTING, the dog won't believe us.

BTW, Bandit's also an eclectic book destroyer. He's eaten the covers off of my wife's bible as well as a Rex Stout, Stephen King, Harper Lee, and Lee Child... so far.

Clunes, himself, is a huge dog lover. Netflix has a bunch of documentaries that he's done, too. I've enjoyed them all, especially the one about draft horses.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

For Final Jeopardy, I had another curious experience; the same kind that's happened to me before.  I read the clue early in the day on jeopardyfan.com, and had no idea.  Then, when I was actually watching the show and Alex read it, Poe was an insta-get.  Maybe it was Alex's neato Hitchcock impersonation that made the difference?

Perhaps. Or your brain had been working on background and was ready with the answer by showtime.

1 hour ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Ah! Nero Wolf and Cujo? 

32 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Clunes, himself, is a huge dog lover. Netflix has a bunch of documentaries that he's done, too. I've enjoyed them all, especially the one about draft horses.

I watched the dog documentary and loved it. I didn't know he'd done others.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get Jeopardy tonight.  I'm back home, but there is no Jeopardy on my regular station.  They have a sister station, but the program guide is not helpful!  Fingers crossed for me that I'll get to watch the show tonight!

• Love 2

Wow! Another really close game today. I love when that happens. Dave really lucked out with Jeff and Jonathan finishing DJ in a tie. 

I had Ahab, peel, fling, knell, liver (after saying gallbladder first), and FJ on a very wild guess. I initially was thinking Earth Day but knew it hadn't started until the 70s, so I went with Arbor Day.

Mildly off-topic: I was babysitting my nephew earlier, and I had on some old episodes from YouTube. When Cheryl from the Clue Crew came on, my nephew said, "Auntie, she looks like you!" I don't see it, but you guys can decide for yourselves soon. I wonder why she stopped doing the show. It probably was a big time commitment with all that travel, but it'd be a dream job for me.

Edited by teebax
Spelling correction!
  • Love 5

Yay, my regular station’s sister station showed Jeopardy at its regular time!

Unfortunately, that didn’t mean I was able to get FJ.  I thought it must have something to do with when spring arrives and the growing  season starts, but blanked on what that might be.  Good wagering by the new champ, although I might not have wagered anything if I had been in that position.

I did get peal, fling, and knell, and also liver after initially answering gallbladder.  It’s a kneejerk response — I hear bile, and immediately think gallbladder, forgetting that bile is merely stored there, not produced there.

• Love 5

It's a good thing I don't have any windows open, or my neighbors would be wondering why I was yelling, "the liver!"  I also scoffed aloud, "The Tennessee Valley Authority?" when the contestant answered TVA instead of WPA in the DD, so I'm apparently extra cranky this evening.  But I can't believe that with two wrong answers, liver still wound up being a TS.

I only saw the DJ round and FJ, but from that it was a good game, even though it ended with a TS.

• Love 1

I thought I heard a pretty clear "d" at the end of Seth Macfarlane when the middle guy said it, but I must be the only one.

I hadn't the foggiest idea for FJ, I thought Arbor Day was in October for some reason (not that it occurred to me as a possibility, just saying that if the question had been "when is Arbor Day" I would have said October).

I was yelling "knell! you just heard it, come on!" and like @Bastet I may also have said something like "the Tennessee Valley Authority? Really?"

In FJ, Jonathan and Jeff were tied at $9800, both bet it all and ended at zero. But Jonathan was credited as 'second place' with $2000 and Jeff got 'third (bronze medal!)' with $1000. Does anybody remember the rationale for arriving at this? 

I figured out Arbor Day after a moment or two. Not an insta-get, but pretty close. 

23 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

In FJ, Jonathan and Jeff were tied at $9800, both bet it all and ended at zero. But Jonathan was credited as 'second place' with $2000 and Jeff got 'third (bronze medal!)' with $1000. Does anybody remember the rationale for arriving at this? 

As I understand it, in the event of a tie for second place at the end of the game, the contestant who was leading at the end of DJ is awarded that second-place slot.  If, in a case like this, the two were also tied at the after DJ/heading into FJ point, second place is awarded to the one leading as of the end of the first round. 

Going back to that point in the game, Jonathan was ahead by $200, so I think that's it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

FJ was an instaget for me tonight.  I love Poe.

So does Jeopardy!

If J! wants an American author and it's not gender-specific, the answer is either Poe or Louisa May Alcott. Always.

so the correct answer actually is “Ugh, who are the fucking New England Patriots “

I wonder if they would have accepted "Ugh, who are the fucking New England Pats."

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Since I've never gotten a day off of school or work for Arbor Day, I didn't have a clue what HOLIDAY FJ referred to. Okay, so it's an observance, but so is Pi Day and National Pancake Day. I briefly thought Fat Tuesday. Then had nothing. At least Pi and Pancake Days are talked about on national and local news; Arbor Day, never. So we observed Asterisk Day Friday.

I think Lobster Day should be a real thing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Having lived in Nebraska, I knew that Arbor Day was first held in the US in Nebraska City, Nebraska, in April 1872, and is still observed there in April.  I also knew it was held elsewhere on different days, but "in May" wasn't enough of a clue for me.

That was a wild finish, though! 

I knew All the Light We Cannot See (missed DD). From Jersey in the Channel Islands, family and I took a ferry for a day trip to Saint-Malo, one of the book's settings.  In anticipation, I read the book.  I recommend it.

• Love 3

I love close games with 3 well-matched players. Liked all 3 but was rooting for Jeff because I liked his voice; very calm & soothing.

TS I got were peal, fling, & liver. Had no idea for FJ. The only observance in La in January that I could come up with is King's Day, the end of the Christmas season/start of the Mardi Gras season. 

I did not hear the "what is" for Jeff's answer of Mackinaw Island in DJ. 

• Love 5

I got to see yesterday's ep on YouTube.  Yay.  I couldn't find Thursday's, but that's OK.  I couldn't believe nobody got peal.  I also couldn't believe the DD guy couldn't get knell, when the clue specifically said "rhyme" and that had just been said earlier.  This is also why I'm secretly glad to not be able to get on this show, because that is exactly the kind of thing I would do:)

52 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Having lived in Nebraska, I knew that Arbor Day was first held in the US in Nebraska City, Nebraska, in April 1872, and is still observed there in April.  I also knew it was held elsewhere on different days, but "in May" wasn't enough of a clue for me.

I had no idea.  It was actually really funny, because I said "President's Day," thinking maybe a couple of states held it in different months due to native son presidents, but Alaska hasn't had a president, so that was just stupid all around, but then I said, wait, no that's Feb.  Martin Luther King  Day.  Yeah, Katy, that was established in 1872.  Use your head.  New Year's Day.  Well, I knw that's just stupid.  I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I just binged the entire week of shows. I got Friday’s FJ as soon as I zeroed in on the states mentioned. I did say “death knell,” so I would have gotten that TS wrong, but I did get WPA, fling, and peal. From earlier in the week, what I remember is that I swept the 18th century nicknames category but did surprisingly badly on archaeology, which is usually a specialty of mine. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I had no idea.  It was actually really funny, because I said "President's Day," thinking maybe a couple of states held it in different months due to native son presidents, but Alaska hasn't had a president, so that was just stupid all around, but then I said, wait, no that's Feb.  Martin Luther King  Day.  Yeah, Katy, that was established in 1872.  Use your head.  New Year's Day.  Well, I knw that's just stupid.  I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!

I’m giving you points for persistence!

• Love 1

From @chessiegal's Lobster Day link:

"Lobsters can also regenerate limbs"

So one could keep a tank of lobsters, cut off their hands/claws/legs and eat them, wait 'til they all grow back, then do it again. Eh.

Reminds me of the old three-legged pig joke.

5 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

They actually do this in the FLorida keys

Oh, my! Who knew? But now I do. Thanks for that intriguing article.

5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

They are a different breed from the Maine lobsters. 

Well yes, since one is a lobster and the other is a crab.

20 hours ago, forumfish said:

The kind soul who posted the video definitely doesn't live in my neck of the woods, 'cause their local news commercial said "we may reach a high of fifty!" We had a good laugh at that.

It got up to 50 here the other day and I opened the back door to let the heat in.

• Love 1
On 3/23/2019 at 2:14 AM, Mystery Author said:

If J! wants an American author and it's not gender-specific, the answer is either Poe or Louisa May Alcott. Always.

To me, it's always Fitzgerald or Hemingway!

• Love 1
On ‎03‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:03 PM, Browncoat said:

There were a few surprising TS tonight — I got Cyrus McCormick, DeForest Kelley, spacesuit, and Marie Antoinette.  I was terribly sad that they missed DeForest Kelley.  Bones had some of the best lines in Star Trek, including my favorite, “I’m a doctor, not a bricklayer!”

I got McCormick and Marie Antoinette.  I thought they wanted something more specific than just spacesuit, so I didn't say it, and I couldn't drag DeForest Kelley's name out of my brain.

On ‎03‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, chessiegal said:

I was surprised no one knew George Washington. He resigned his commission in the Continental Army at the state capital in Annapolis to return to his beloved Mt. Vernon to farm.

I did not know that.  Learn something new all the time here. :-)

On ‎03‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:30 PM, teebax said:

I had Marie Antoinette (strange TS), Hedda Gabler, George Washington, and Ozzy Newsome.

I got Antoinette (see above), Hedda Gabler, and Ozzy Newsome.  He just retired as the Baltimore Ravens general manager - I don't watch the NFL, but only get the Baltimore news so it's a little hard to avoid the Ravens.

On ‎03‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:52 PM, hendersonrocks said:

My only thought was that the reference to Cincinnatus threw them off

That's what did it for me.  That, and forgetting the category.

On ‎03‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:20 PM, teebax said:

had Ahab, peel, fling, knell, liver (after saying gallbladder first),

I had peel, fling, knell and liver (also after saying gallbladder).  Did not get FJ, although Arbor Day made sense in retrospect.

On ‎03‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:28 PM, Bastet said:

I also scoffed aloud, "The Tennessee Valley Authority?" when the contestant answered TVA instead of WPA in the DD, so I'm apparently extra cranky this evening. 

I said CCC instead of WPA.  Oops.

On ‎03‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:57 AM, zoey1996 said:

I knew All the Light We Cannot See (missed DD). From Jersey in the Channel Islands, family and I took a ferry for a day trip to Saint-Malo, one of the book's settings.  In anticipation, I read the book.  I recommend it.

I knew the book they wanted, but couldn't quite get all the right words in there.

• Love 1

I loved middle guy's FJ response!  Good for him for having a sense of humor for his boneheaded and/or non-responses!  I mean, JFK?  In 1964?  I have to give him a pass on Peggy Sue -- that just would not come to me, either.  Lodged in the deep recesses of the brain, I guess.

FJ was an instaget, and I also got rocket, North Korea, the sinking of the Titanic, the Owl and the Pussycat, and LBJ, of course. 

I had no idea Alsace rhymed with glass.

Anyone else think about "Candygram for Mongo!" when candygram came up?

• Love 6

Wow, I was yelling at the TV during the 60s category. That was so painful.

FJ was an instaget though! First instaget for me in a long while.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 4

I knew alchemy, but it wouldn't come to me.  I got LBJ and Peggy Sue, though, so it's all good.  I actually did really well in the first round.  I did not get FJ.  I was trying to think of somewhere people would go annually for a specific holiday or something, but I didn't know.  I didn't even have a guess.  

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I had no idea Alsace rhymed with glass.

I always thought that it was pronounced "al-sauce", but then, I don't have Alex Trebek's easy facility with languages.

😝

• LOL 2