Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

And I think John should have put down "Who is Holy Mackerel."

Nope. Just in case somehow the answer was Mackerel, that would have messed it up, unless the guys first name happened to be Holy.

Oh, and all 3 contestants got a good for you .

Edited by opus
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I agree with everyone about the toddler-level category of Body Language, but I really, really liked the One T, Double T category.  There's no way to prepare for it - you just have to have a expansive vocabulary and the ability to search it in milliseconds!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Salmon Rushdie,

It’s Salman and not pronounced like the fish.

Fj wasn’t an IG but I got it in time.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I really, really liked the One T, Double T category.

So did I (I always like vocabulary categories).  I fumbled a bit before coming up with counterattack, so if that hadn't stumped the contestants, I'd have probably still been thinking when someone rang in.  The others were IGs, but that one took some thought.

• Love 1

Salman Chase was an instaget.  Don't know how all 3 of them missed that.

Make that four. Never heard of the guy.

Make that 5. What movie was he in again?

I got asteroid, retina, Casper, something else I can't remember, and Regan the Exorcist girl.

Trivia: My sister played the Demon and all the possession scenes in The Exorcist.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I wonder why no one will play Trivial Pursuit - Silver Screen with me!

I will!  I will! The only reason I pay for cable is to get TCM.

For Final Jeopardy  I said Sturgeon General, which is why Alex would hate me if I ever got to play.  He would have a special, extra dry, "No," just for me.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

The offices that he held didn't fit the clue, but I almost said Hamilton Fish. Then I thought it was unlikely that they would use the word "fishy" in the clue--too close to the actual name. It would do for "Stupid Answers" (insert Forrest Gump voice here), though.

This was my thinking exactly!  Although if that were the correct answer, it would really need a BMS--there were a remarkable number of people named Hamilton Fish!

After I rejected all the Fishes, I did get Salmon P. Chase in time.  He was Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury, after having been one of his rivals for the Republican nomination.  You can't read as much about the Civil War as I have and not run into his name.

• Love 1

I liked the new winner Emma. She’s pretty and the red looked good on her and on camera. I got bachelor, I said Corcovado instead of Christ the Redeemer but it turns out that’s the name of the mt it stands on so I would have been wrong. I also got asteroid, retina, and I knew Linda Blair was the actress who played in the Exorcist, but I couldn’t remember her characters name Regan.  I was stumped on FJ.

I thought besides the Body Language one that the baby instagram category was too easy as well. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

Salman Chase was an instaget.  Don't know how all 3 of them missed that.  Then again there was one I couldn't think of that I knew, but just couldn't hink of it.  And I said Aztec instead of Inca.  Never can keep those two straight.

Make it three for me - Aztec, Inca, and Mayan - I throw those answers out like a blind dart player. Managed to hit it this time.

10 hours ago, Kathira said:

I said Pike for FJ. At least there was someone in history named Pike. He got a peak named after him. 

Yeah, that body language category wasn't worthy of Double Jeopardy. More like Toddler Jeopardy.

And a lovely peak it is - especially on New Year's Eve and the 4th of July. (at least it used to be - they'd shoot fireworks off, and you could see it anywhere in Colorado Springs). I'm kind of ticked I didn't come up with it - but it was crickets in my head. I've heard of Chase, but don't connect anything at all with him. Now, Chase bank - that's a nice piece of trivia I might remember. Thanks @GreekGeek

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Make it three for me - Aztec, Inca, and Mayan - I throw those answers out like a blind dart player. Managed to hit it this time.

We have three players in our house, so we each take one.  We also do Norway, Sweden and Denmark that way.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I knew Salman P. Chase because Samuel Chase is the Maryland delegate in 1776...although exactly how I got from one to the other, I'm not entirely sure.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I did not like the middle guy because of my personal hatred of facial hair, especially his OTTB, but wasn't going to say anything about it here. Then he called a magazine a "zine" during his interview and that made him dead to me. (TM Mr. Wonderful)

A "zine" is slightly different than a magazine:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zine.  So hate him, but not for that.

That aside, I disliked him as well, and I'm from Pittsburgh too and always root for my hometowners.  But he's such a strain of new hipster with the OTTBs that I can't stand.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

And I said Aztec instead of Inca.  Never can keep those two straight. 

Inca = Peru ...four letters each. The Aztec & Maya are mostly in Mexico.

At first, I said, "Justice Troutt," just plain guessing, then Salmon P. Chase sprung into my head and I felt saved. Yes, I even got the middle initial without a struggle. How the mind works is a baffling thing.  ("Sturgeon General" - I love it!)

I, too, was annoyed at orang-utang.

I remembered Regan because I once had a neighbor who lived above me with a daughter named Regan and that kid, too, was possessed, especially at bath time. Everytime that kid took a bath, I had water coming through my ceiling.

I got all the state brands, too. I think having Stella asleep on my lap helps my thinking. She had exploratory surgery Thursday; I brought her home Monday & all we do is cuddle, much to Bosco's dismay. He very quickly got used to being an "only" cat & quite the lap cat.  (Turns out, all Stella has is IBD, controllable with food and perhaps a short course of Prednisolone.)

• Love 6

I am not even a big Lord of the Rings fans.  I have not even read all the books or seen all the movies.......

But, GANDALF!!!  Seriously!  He is the wizard.  I know that much

Seemed like lots of easy misses for the former champ.  I mean, meriorite instead of asteroid, really?  I suppose you could argue its a matter of them being the same thing depending on where it is located, outside or inside the earth's atmosphere, but they showed a picture, obvious what they wanted. 

Also my first date with my wife was to see the movie Armageddon

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I've never watched Bachelor in Paradise and know nothing about it. [Blank] in Paradise led me directly to Death in Paradise.

I watch both, and Death in Paradise is the better show although the PTV thread for Bachelor in Paradise is a lot more fun.

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It’s Salman and not pronounced like the fish.

I didn't correct spelling for other posters who misspelled Salmon P. Chase. But thank you for your diligence in correcting me.

We've had an extended discussion here in the past on how to pronounce salmon. The conclusion was, different people pronounce it different ways. End of that story.

Have a nice day. *sarcasm*

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

(Turns out, all Stella has is IBD, controllable with food and perhaps a short course of Prednisolone.)

I am very happy for you and Stella, that it wasn't anything worse.

I doubt I've ever given any thought to whether or not penguins have knees but I know cats have knees.

My only ts was asteroids.  FJ was an instaget, one of those pieces of information I picked up once and my mind has hung on to, including the middle P.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ErinV said:

A "zine" is slightly different than a magazine:

Thanks for that interesting link. Good info. It also turns out that a magazine I created and self published in the 80s was really a zine. Who knew! I was before my own time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

We have three players in our house, so we each take one.  We also do Norway, Sweden and Denmark that way.

We only have two, so we double our chances, but still whiff it now and again (same with the country, though the Mister is much stronger on that topic.)

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Also my first date with my wife was to see the movie Armageddon

Now that's a movie that screams "romance". But congrats on it working for you!

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At first, I said, "Justice Troutt," just plain guessing

I should have said Kilgore Trout, just to have an answer. But I did think of a new category: Jeopardy writers, what about "That's So Fishy," people names with fish in them. Laurence Fishburne.

I'm so glad Stella is okay. What a relief, no? But exploratory surgery is not fun for anyone. There should be enough lap for Bosco to join in your Jeopardy watching. One arm/hand per cat. Problem solved!

Now that's a movie that screams "romance". But congrats on it working for you!

Well there is the romance between Liv Tyler and Ben Affleck. 

And the love theme song, I don't want to miss a thing.  It was nominated for an Oscar as best original song

Also nominated for a number of Raspberry awards, including "winner" as worst actor Bruce Willis.  Oddly it was nominated for a rasperberry for worst original song as well, the same one. 

But no not really a great story for the ages to tell the grandkids about one day

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

The fishiest name I could think of was Scalia, even though I knew he wasn't Chief. How ridiculous is that? I wonder if I would have had the guts to actually write that down.

Write it "scale-ia"

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew FJ tonight chiefly because of my brother: he loved the trivia fact that Salmon P. Chase is on the $10,000 bill. Chase Bank is also named for him. (Salmon P., not my brother!)

I should've known that one - one of the very few politics questions I should've gotten - but I didn't.

5 hours ago, ABay said:

I knew Salman P. Chase because Samuel Chase is the Maryland delegate in 1776...although exactly how I got from one to the other, I'm not entirely sure.

Whatever works :-)

17 hours ago, lb60 said:

Bachelor, asteroids, and Regan were my only gets tonight.

I got those.

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

retina

And that one.  I was surprised that no one guessed it.

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Maytag being from Iowa was an easy peasy DD/TS for me. What about you guys? We've discussed Maytag Blue Cheese here in the past. And the fact that I don't live all that far from Maytag's original Iowa headquarters in Newton. And the fact it put almost the entire population of Newton on the unemployment list when it shut down.

I had no idea.  I only knew Gatorade = Florida because of the Univ of FL Gators, and Goodyear = Ohio because questions about the blimps have shown up on Jeopardy before.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I swear I heard middle guy say "orangutang" instead of "orangutan"

Me too.

That Casper TS was really shocking.  You'd think one of the contestants would've either heard of Casper, Wyoming or Casper the Friendly Ghost.

• Love 3

I like the new champ, but agree with the um, uh, etc. Although I am afraid that would be me if I were to ever make it on the show. 

Genre 🍹

TS I got were Bachelor in Paradise, Iowa & asteroid (Dave's missed DDs), Reagan. FJ took a moment but I came up with it in time. 

@Prevailing Wind - Glad Stella is doing well. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That Casper TS was really shocking.  You'd think one of the contestants would've either heard of Casper, Wyoming or Casper the Friendly Ghost.

I'm such a dolt, I misheard/misread the clue and said "Custer," as in Custer, Montana. Custer did turn into a ghost after the battle there. Geographically close, but no Jeopardy cigar for me. I even bought Casper the Friendly Ghost comics on a regular basis when I was a kid.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I should've known that one - one of the very few politics questions I should've gotten - but I didn't.

Whatever works 🙂

I had a Casper the ghost doll. His body was terrycloth, and when you pulled his string, he'd say "I am Casper the friendly ghost and I like you!" I moved around a lot, and he was my comfort doll.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

See, 1776 tripped me up—I always get Samuel Chase mixed up with Salmon P. Chase and think the he/they are all 18th century people. The only Chief Justice I know from the 19th century is that horrible one who ruled in the Dred Scott case and whose name I can’t recall offhand.

5 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

See, 1776 tripped me up—I always get Samuel Chase mixed up with Salmon P. Chase and think the he/they are all 18th century people. The only Chief Justice I know from the 19th century is that horrible one who ruled in the Dred Scott case and whose name I can’t recall offhand.

Roger Taney.

• Love 1

Instaget FJ for me today.  I'm surprised the former champ didn't get it.  Congrats to the new champ!

Is it bad that I kind of loved the weird Irish category?  Silly, yes, but fun.

I managed to get the TS/missed DD of Air Force, decimal, Phil O'Dendron, and Lister.  I would have to turn in my microbiologist card if I'd missed Lister!

• Love 7

I got FJ two days in a row.  What are the odds of that?

I also got Air Force and Lister.  I got the entire Presidential category right. Whoo-Hoo.  But, I got the entire category of called out in song wrong, and I refuse to feel bad about that.  I did better in the Irish category than I expected to.  Sometimes I have a lot of trouble with the cutesy categories.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

So I guess LBJ was never a Senator or they would've asked for a bms on the answer of Johnson? (I suck at American History)

He was in the Senate. In fact, he was Senate Majority leader.  He wasn't impeached.  I hadn't noticed that the player didn't say Andrew, but yes, they should have asked for a BMS.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Is it bad that I kind of loved the weird Irish category?  Silly, yes, but fun.

When I asked a friend if she had put her Irish furniture outside yet, she was all, "Huh?" And I said, "Yes, your Pati O'Furniture." And she about passed out laughing. I thought everyone knew that old joke. Needless to say, I liked that category too.

My immediate thought for FJ was, in an Arnold accent, "I'll be baaack." Thankfully, I changed it to the correct answer in time. I'm surprised none of the players guessed the Arnold line.

Otherwise, after I got Air Force Academy I paid little attention to any other TSs. Today was a Wandering Mind Day.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm so glad Stella is okay. What a relief, no? But exploratory surgery is not fun for anyone. There should be enough lap for Bosco to join in your Jeopardy watching. One arm/hand per cat. Problem solved!

Thanks! Bosco, though, is HUGE. He's closing in on 16 pounds, and that's after 3 years on diet food!  Lil Stella, with all her puking has whittled down to 9 pounds. I'm trying to put more weight back on her. She's such a sweetheart. We DO manage to squeeze two cats on my one lap - with the recliner's foot up, Stella's further toward my knees, Bosco's up under my chin. It gets hard for me to breathe with all that cat on my chest. Hahahaha.

I got FJ tonight without even thinking about it. AT's "good for you" at Emma's interview actually sounded sincere and not just a conversation closer.  "Johnson" should have gotten a BMS.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

My immediate thought for FJ was, in an Arnold accent, "I'll be baaack." Thankfully, I changed it to the correct answer in time. I'm surprised none of the players guessed the Arnold line.

I’m pretty sure I would have confidently lost all my money with “I will return “

• LOL 1

The Harding TS surprised me in that no one even guessed one of the eight options to choose from (since the clue specified he died in office).  Same with the Air Force Academy clue, with only five options and not a single one of them guessed.

Alex was funny with his yes, we went there reaction to Phil O'Dendron.

• Love 5

Stella's further toward my knees, Bosco's up under my chin. It gets hard for me to breathe with all that cat on my chest.

Switch, put the 9-pounder Stella under your chin, Bosco by your knees. Although I know they have their own fav places. But your breathing will be easier!

AT's "good for you" at Emma's interview actually sounded sincere and not just a conversation closer.

I know, I thought the same. He sounded like he actually meant it.

• Love 1
On 3/26/2019 at 10:16 AM, PaulaO said:

Should we discuss Don vs. dawn?....

On 3/26/2019 at 4:39 PM, peeayebee said:

NOOOOOOOOO!

I agree! I’ve seen perfectly civilized forums devolve into vitriol and bannings over less. 

• Love 2

Johnson definitely needed a BMS.

I got Air Force Academy, philodendren, and Schweitzer (whom I had pictured a couple of weeks ago when trying to come up with some other guy's name).

I did not get FJ. I was torn betw the matchbooks being from England or the USA. I tried to make "Keep calm" into a 3-word phrase, then the best I could come up with was "Stay the course."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I know they specified a scene with Jack but I thought This is Us was a bad fit for the category because only the flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh. It bugs because the writers on that show are so stupid about locations.

How high were the writers when they came up with the Irish People? Category?

FJ was an IG because I have an uncle who collects military memorabilia and has one.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I know they specified a scene with Jack but I thought This is Us was a bad fit for the category because only the flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh.

That's interesting.  I don't watch the show, but I got it right because, as a football fan, the "terrible towel" part of the clue made it an instaget.  Alex's explanation of the category when it was revealed was "You have to identify the primary city in which the TV show is set," so if that show is primarily set someplace else, that's a little wonky that only the clue within the clue will get you to the right answer.  But I just read the Wikipedia article about the series, and it made it sound like Pittsburgh is the primary location - that episodes contain both present-day events and flashbacks to the past, and present-day is spread out among several cities (as are the characters in real time) while the flashbacks generally take place in Pittsburgh (where the family grew up).  Is that not true?