Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Do we get extra drinking points if a whole category has "genre" in the title?  Plus we got Sartre, and a "good for you" for the guy on the end.  It's no wonder I blanked on FJ.  I think I focused too much on the year, too.  But yeah, no FJ for me tonight.  Boo, hiss.

I did get castle keep and loess, though, so there's that.

57 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I’m very surprised- I thought FJ was super easy. 

I'm not surprised.

53 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Do we get extra drinking points if a whole category has "genre" in the title?

I vote yes.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, teebax said:

In other news, I leave for LA tomorrow! I'm a combination of excited and nervous for Monday. 

Safe travels and have fun. "Talk" to us if you are able, when you get there. Inquiring minds want to know ... everything! Well, mine does anyway. I am SO excited for you!

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, teebax said:

In other news, I leave for LA tomorrow! I'm a combination of excited and nervous for Monday. 

You are going to have the experience of a lifetime!  Since you're going early, spend some time wandering southern California.  I highly recommend the Getty Museum.

• Love 2

No clue for FJ. In my defense, it was before my time. ;-)

I did get sandstone. Good for me!

So ends my pathetic week of Jeopardy.

22 minutes ago, teebax said:

To my fellow Eagles fan, I say:

#FlyteebaxFly  

Enjoy every moment.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I don't normally do very well with children's literature; it was a very long time ago that I was a kid, and I avoid children like the plague as an adult.  And I've never read the book, and don't remember if I ever saw the film.  But the whole wanting to be a "real boy" thing is such a part of pop culture, that seeing "boy" in the quote made it an insta-guess, and then I couldn't think of anything else from that era that would have being a "well-behaved little boy" as its conclusion.  I'm a bit surprised it was a TS.

The TS that really surprised me was loess.  I wonder if none of them had ever heard of it, because even though I wouldn't expect one of any given three contestants to know the fact at hand, if any of them learned along the way that loess was some sort of sedimentary deposit, the “more or …” clue within the clue (which was pretty much a neon sign within the clue) should lead them right to it.  So what surprised me was that the "more or ..." hint didn't trigger an, "Oh - loess" response in at least one contestant.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, teebax said:

My only gets tonight were loess (solely based on the clue and not knowledge I had before-hand)

I didn't get it. I mean, I did think "less," but I wouldn't have said it since I didn't really understand the clue. I've seen loess in crossword puzzles I do, but I had no idea it was pronounced "less."

I kinda sorta got Modigilani, but I would have butchered the pronunciation too.

I did get FJ. Yea! Initially I thought Little Lord Fauntleroy for some reason, but then I went with Pinocchino.

Yay for Steven!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

That was me too -- I knew she'd said it wrong, but I couldn't manage to say it right. 

12 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

but then I went with Pinocchino.

Uh oh. If that’s what you would have written down, I don’t know if they would have credited you with the correct answer.

• LOL 5

This nugget is from TheJeopardyFan.com. The original story of Pinocchio was serialized in an Italian magazine. (Not a zine!) Once the serialization was finished, it was published as a book. In the original serialization, Pinocchio was hanged for his faults, but the book’s editor requested that The Fairy with the Turquoise Hair rescue Pinocchio and turn him into a real boy.

I'm kind of in the mood that I wish he was hanged in the book, too. Although I'm not sure how efficient hanging would be to kill a wooden puppet.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I did get FJ. Yea! Initially I thought Little Lord Fauntleroy for some reason, but then I went with Pinocchino. 

This made me laugh so hard after reading the post from Opus. "Modigiliani" and "Pinocchino." Hahahaha! (Moe-dee-GIL-lee-an-nee and Pee-no-CHEE-no)

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1

They’ve had a nice run of relatively calm and unquirky contestants this week and I’m really enjoying that. Though if I had to caption the woman who was on today in a Colbert show style, I’d say “Jeopardy contestant, and PTA Mom who’s going to tell you a thing or two about how to run this school...” She was ready to take charge of the game and almost made it!

Edited by SHD
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't get it. I mean, I did think "less," but I wouldn't have said it since I didn't really understand the clue. I've seen loess in crossword puzzles I do, but I had no idea it was pronounced "less."

Yay for Steven!

Modigliani was in a book about artists I just read. I was so freaking excited to get that one right, but I don't think it was a TS, was it? 

4 hours ago, j5cochran said:

You are going to have the experience of a lifetime!  Since you're going early, spend some time wandering southern California.  I highly recommend the Getty Museum.

We were just looking for something to do Sunday. I go to California a lot, but usually to San Diego, which I love. Thanks for the tip about the Getty.  That's a great idea. 

• Love 1

I got loess (although I would have pronounced it low-ess), FJ, and keep, the DD, which I was yelling at the tv. I got Pinocchio by concentrating on the year, which ruled out Peter Pan, and then going through stories about boys.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, teebax said:

Modigliani was in a book about artists I just read. I was so freaking excited to get that one right, but I don't think it was a TS, was it? 

No, the first answer (from Natasha) was mispronounced, so then Andrew was able to answer with correct pronunciation.  I liked Andrew; he's really retained his accent.  

I first learned a little about "loess" when we lived in Nebraska.  The Loess Hills are across the river in Iowa.  There's even a Loess Hills State Forest in Iowa!  I still didn't think of it for the answer.  I'd heard them pronounced as "luss" not "less."

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't normally do very well with children's literature; it was a very long time ago that I was a kid, and I avoid children like the plague as an adult.  And I've never read the book, and don't remember if I ever saw the film.  But the whole wanting to be a "real boy" thing is such a part of pop culture, that seeing "boy" in the quote made it an insta-guess, and then I couldn't think of anything else from that era that would have being a "well-behaved little boy" as its conclusion.  I'm a bit surprised it was a TS.

The TS that really surprised me was loess.  I wonder if none of them had ever heard of it, because even though I wouldn't expect one of any given three contestants to know the fact at hand, if any of them learned along the way that loess was some sort of sedimentary deposit, the “more or …” clue within the clue (which was pretty much a neon sign within the clue) should lead them right to it.  So what surprised me was that the "more or ..." hint didn't trigger an, "Oh - loess" response in at least one contestant.

My problem was there were a number of boys in children's literature that were roughly in the same time period (well, the 19th century anyway). And Pinnochio was not my jam. So I chose Oliver Twist (who I think was a good boy again in the end...). Very wrong.

I've seen "loess" in print, but didn't know what it was so I didn't get there.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was so proud of myself, until I realized I'd mangled it. Sigh...

• Love 1
On 3/28/2019 at 7:55 PM, GenerationX said:

As a kid, I remember watching The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman.  It was a huge TV movie event, as I recall.  For today's contestants, it was before their time, of course.

It's before mine as well, but we read/watched it in Language Arts class in middle school. I think it was the first thing I saw Cicely Tyson in.

I thought I liked Steven until he hated on the Saints.  I was pleasantly surprised by Andrew's accent.

I've never heard of loess in my life.  I too got what the clue wanted because wordplay, but I probably would've been afraid to ring in. The Pinocchio FJ came to me immediately because him being a good boy was such a big deal; I waffled because I thought the story might've been older, but I was pretty certain.  Am I forgetting something about the Velveteen Rabbit becoming human at the end?

I'll be crossing my fingers for you next week, @teebax! I hope you enjoy every minute.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, opus said:

Uh oh. If that’s what you would have written down, I don’t know if they would have credited you with the correct answer.

I guess I could have been going for Augusto Pinocchino. 😄

Yeah, I struggled with the spelling but decided not to google. 

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This made me laugh so hard after reading the post from Opus. "Modigiliani" and "Pinocchino." Hahahaha! (Moe-dee-GIL-lee-an-nee and Pee-no-CHEE-no)

Glad to be of service!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If you can read the sign, you'll see the National Park Service pronounces it LOW-ess...

Interesting photo, thanks for posting it. So many words are pronounced in different ways, depending on where one lives. I can always tell when a newscaster isn't from "here," he or she mispronounces all the town names during storm broadcasts. And all of us viewers think, "Where? What?"

I would have said "less" to answer that clue, based on the strong clue within the clue. But if I knew the answer was "loess," I would not have rung in. Which is probably why it was a TS. Conclusion: It was a poor clue.

• Love 2

For a split second, I doubted my immediate response of Pinocchio because thanks to Warehouse 13, I knew the author was a miserable bastard and the original story was not Disney-ready.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This nugget is from TheJeopardyFan.com. The original story of Pinocchio was serialized in an Italian magazine. (Not a zine!) Once the serialization was finished, it was published as a book. In the original serialization, Pinocchio was hanged for his faults, but the book’s editor requested that The Fairy with the Turquoise Hair rescue Pinocchio and turn him into a real boy.

I'm kind of in the mood that I wish he was hanged in the book, too. Although I'm not sure how efficient hanging would be to kill a wooden puppet.

Re-reading the book as an adult, I was amazed how Pinocchio seemed to be all but human already. He not only walked and talked but could get hungry (and eat humans' food) and sick. After the Fairy rescued him, he nearly died because he didn't want to take his medicine. Only when four black rabbits entered carrying his bier did he gulp it down. So he could have been killed by hanging. I've only seen bits of the Disney movie, but I assume none of this was in it. The scene of Lamp Wick turning into a donkey was nightmarish enough!

I didn't see last night's episode, but I read the recap. I wouldn't have known loess either. 

• Useful 1

Good group of contestants on Friday.  I don't know that I had any TS (other than FJ in an instaget), but Mrs. GenX was on fire the entire game, including loess, keep, and whelk.  Our deep specialty areas are completely different, which helps us in pub trivia, but wouldn't work quite as well in individual games like J!.

• Love 1

Steve is a machine! 

Thursday's TS were Howard Hughes, feathers, Jane Pittman. FJ was easy as soon as my brain registered 'euphoria' & '9' so I was surprised that all 3 players (& Dr. Toothbrush -haha) got it wrong. He got stuck on the word plate & said earthquakes..lol

Friday's game was great! I was already going to root for Andrew since that is my son's name, and then the accent cemented it. 

A whole genre category & a GFY? That's 6 drinks by my count. Cheers!

As soon as the sports/religious category was revealed we were waiting for a Saints question. Love that is was related to their Super Bowl win - one of the best days ever!!

Steve's answer of 'Fett' for Boba Fett was weird & needed a BMS since his dad (Jango Fett) also used Slave I. 

FJ was an instaget even though I don't think I have ever read the non-Disneyfied version of the book.  

On 3/28/2019 at 7:43 PM, saber5055 said:

As for what HS Gym hair is, you nailed it exactly.

Good For Me! 🍹

23 hours ago, teebax said:

So excited for you!!!! 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Now I'm curious...is the G pronounced? I'm thinking about the Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio...

Likewise body-builder Lou Ferrigno... I've heard "Fer-RIGG-no", also "Fer-REE-no" and, rarely, "Fer-IN-yo."

He knew Agatha Christie and he sang “Alexander Hamilton”.! Awesome showing by the champ. 

For a nanosecond I thought Holmes and then looked more carefully, saw the year and knew it was Poirot.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

He knew Agatha Christie and he sang “Alexander Hamilton”.! Awesome showing by the champ. 

For a nanosecond I thought Holmes and then looked more carefully, saw the year and knew it was Poirot.

I also thought Holmes for a brief second and realized it was too late.  Then, I guessed Poirot, but I really should have known because of the Hercules connection

I hate the mashup categories, because I'll only know half the clue and it annoys me:)  I actually did get 3 of those right, though, which is more than I usually do with that kind of category.

• Love 3

Close call for Steven. He met his match in Reid. 

The only TS I got was yahoo. I got FJ only because of the year, and the 12 mysteries wasn't a hint for me because I thought Hercules had 9 labors. Glad my guess was good in any case. 

I liked the multilingual overlap, and I normally hate those types of categories. But I'm getting to the point where if Alex has to explain how one of these so-called creative & clever categories works, there are 2 1/2 strikes against it from the start.

49 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Good for me!

🍹

• Love 4
7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Now I'm curious...is the G pronounced? I'm thinking about the Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio trims, where you are chastised by the sophisticated 🙂 if you pronounce the G. 

Took three semesters of college Italian. The G is soft (like a J sound) before I or E, unless there is a GH. It's a hard G before other vowels. GN is pronounced with a "nyee" sound (think gnocchi). GL is a weird L sound, like if you rub your tongue on the roof of your mouth while saying it. For some reason a lot of Italian Americans completely mispronounce their own names. I'm not sure if it's because Americans screwed them up too much or what.

• Love 3

Like several of you, I thought about Holmes, but quickly switched to the other one -- Poirot.  If nothing else, the clue writers would give Alex a chance to show off his pronunciation. 

Middle girl shouldn't have bet anything. 

I loved the multilingual overlap category!  Smorgasbordello!  Ha!  Although I've only ever heard brothel pronounced like "broth" as in soup, not as in brother as Alex did.  And we know his pronunciations are always correct, right?

The only TS I got was Symbionese Liberation Army.  I guess the other two couldn't figure out where Steven went wrong.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

For some reason a lot of Italian Americans completely mispronounce their own names.

Maybe because when they came over on the boat, they changed the pronunciation so they wouldn't be all Old World. The way many immigrants changed spelling of their names for the same reason.

During my quest for a five-year BFA, we said "moe-dig-gleeannie." The "g" is pronounced in the fine-arts circles I run with.

4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got was Symbionese Liberation Army.  I guess the other two couldn't figure out where Steven went wrong.

Obviously, BTT*

*Before Their Time.

4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Like several of you, I thought about Holmes, but quickly switched to the other one -- Poirot.

Like several of you, I thought about Holmes, but quickly switched to the other one -- Charlie Chan.

And I don't even know if Chan was in books or just movies. Not that it matters.

I'd like to hear Trebek say "Hercule Poirot" while eating a peanut butter sandwich, ala Aaron Burr.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I like anatomy categories, so I was annoyed they didn’t get to the last Around the Body clue.  And I loved the Multilingual Overlaps category, so I was relieved they didn’t also run out of time in that round.

The Symbionese Liberation Army TS really surprised me, because Steven came so close.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

The Symbionese Liberation Army TS really surprised me, because Steven came so close.

I wondered if they would have accepted SLA, I didn’t remember the category, because I know I can never pronounce it correctly so I would have just said SLA.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with Poirot so I have read all the books multiple times so it was an IG.

• Love 2
Just now, biakbiak said:

I wondered if they would have accepted SLA, I didn’t remember the category, because I know I can never pronounce it correctly so I would have just said SLA.

No, because the clue asked what SLA stood for:  "On April 15, 1974, as everyone else paid taxes, this radical "Army", the S.L.A., was robbing a bank of $11,000"

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

$1,200 for sari?  That's sad.  Looks like we're back to KG Jeopardy!

Categories like Multicultural Smorgasbord make me stabby.  To me this show should be trivia, not cutesy idiocy.

And since I'm being grumpy, the emphasis on Yeshiva is on the second syllable.

I'm going to get ice-cream now.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No, because the clue asked what SLA stood for:  "On April 15, 1974, as everyone else paid taxes, this radical "Army", the S.L.A., was robbing a bank of $11,000"

Thanks I had it on in the background so completely missed that! I would not have rung in because I know I screw up the pronunciation about half the time! It comes up a surprising amount! The mail drop they used when they were on the run was the building next door to me.

6 minutes ago, Brookside said:

$1,200 for sari?  That's sad.  Looks like we're back to KG Jeopardy!

Categories like Multicultural Smorgasbord make me stabby.  To me this show should be trivia, not cutesy idiocy.

And since I'm being bad-tempered, the emphasis on Yeshiva is on the second syllable.

I'm going to get ice-cream now.

(edited)

I didn't get any TSs. In fact, I didn't get any clues in the Business of Comedy category. One or two I just couldn't remember, but the others I simply didn't know.

I couldn't get the pronunciation of Symbionese right, though I MAY have if Steven hadn't said his version first.

However, I did get FJ. I didn't consider Sherlock at all because of the year, so I took a guess at Poirot*, wondering if it might be Nero Wolfe. 

I'm glad Reid missed FJ so Steven could live to play another day.

Edited by peeayebee
*stupid autocorrect
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I completely mangled the pronunciation also, and because of that wouldn't have rung in on the show.  I knew hwat it was, just couldn'r remember exactly what it was called.

• Love 1

I was half-asleep during this ep, so I don’t remember much of it at all. I did wake up for FJ, but I guess not completely, because I got hung up on thinking of Mediterranean sites in titles, then Maltese Falcon, so settled on Sam Spade. Oh, well.

• LOL 1

I got Poirot, based strictly on the date of publication.  I figured he was the most prominent detective character being published in the 40s.  I didn't make the connection to Hercules until afterward.  In fact, apparently the collection these stories appeared in is called "The Labors of Hercules," and all 12 stories were based on the different labors.

I greatly dislike the "tricksy" categories like Multilingual Overlap, and the various Before and Afters, and stuff like that.  That's not trivia!

• Love 3