Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I also thought Holmes for a brief second and realized it was too late.  Then, I guessed Poirot, but I really should have known because of the Hercules connection

I guessed Poirot because of the date - thought I was completely wrong because I always think of his last name, and didn't make the connection with his first name.

12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I liked the multilingual overlap, and I normally hate those types of categories. But I'm getting to the point where if Alex has to explain how one of these so-called creative & clever categories works, there are 2 1/2 strikes against it from the start.

🍹

I don't care for the overlap clues, and I only got one - smorgasbordello - which tells you where my mind goes. 😉

10 hours ago, Brookside said:

And since I'm being grumpy, the emphasis on Yeshiva is on the second syllable.

I was a bit grumpy yesterday too, and noted the same thing. 🙂

I had no trouble with Symbionese Liberation Army - I lived in the Bay Area and was just a touch younger than Patty Hearst, so it was big (and constant) news. Not before my time, in other words. Also, piece of trivia, the Mister met Bill Harris before his stint in the SLA - his parents were acquaintances with the Harrises.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Alex continues his reign of terror against Italian. The Duel category had "Il Duelce" as a play on words for Mussolini and Alex pronounced it as "do-ell-say" when it should have come out like "dool-chay", sounding almost like Duce (and exactly like "dulce", Italian for "sweet"). Edited to say: I posted this first thing in the morning and that’s my excuse for mashing up Spanish and Italian for “sweet” (dulce and dolce)  into this unholy alliance. 

17 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

For some reason a lot of Italian Americans completely mispronounce their own names. I'm not sure if it's because Americans screwed them up too much or what.

It's not just Italians - there are lots of names out there that are long removed from their original pronunciations for reasons of ease, Ellis Island, etc. Brett Favre, anyone? But it reminds me of how we had just moved back to the US from Italy and my husband had a student in one of his classes with the last name something like Cecchino (it wasn't that, but it had a similar distribution of C's), and he pronounced it "Ke-chee-no." My husband refrained from teaching him to pronounce his own name correctly (Chec-kino).

I hate the categories that need explaining but I feel like they are a nice occasional break from the fact-bot nature of Jeopardy. So are math categories (speaking of the ones like "number of months with 31 days times number of members of the Roman triumvirate"), although I would have hated to be faced with one of those.

Edited by Etta Place
Drink coffee first
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

For some reason a lot of Italian Americans completely mispronounce their own names

Your name is your name, and how you pronounce it is how it's pronounced.  So, I think it would be exceedingly rare for anyone to mispronounce their own name unless they had a medical issue or a mouth full of food.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Your name is your name, and how you pronounce it is how it's pronounced.  So, I think it would be exceedingly rare for anyone to mispronounce their own name unless they had a medical issue or a mouth full of food.

I should have put "mispronounce" in quotes. I just meant to not pronounce it as the Italian language would dictate.

I got Poirot because I've read that collection, but even if I hadn't, the titles were clearly the labors of Hercules and therefore Hercule Poirot.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I guessed Poirot because of the date - thought I was completely wrong because I always think of his last name, and didn't make the connection with his first name. 

And I didn't make the connection with his first name until I read your post, @Clanstarling. So thank you for that.

"Hercule, Hercules ... Huh. I never made the connection. Thanks, Mr. Obvious." --TM First Time Caller, Long Time Listener.

• Love 2

That was a lucky break for Steve that Reid didn't get FJ right. 

Only two ts's for me, Last Comic Standing and Symbionese Liberation Army; almost had Yahoo, knew the word started with Y but couldn't quite pull it out.

Instaget FJ.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

"My name is spelt Raymond Luxury-Yacht, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove".

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
On ‎03‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:02 PM, Browncoat said:

I did get castle keep and loess, though, so there's that.

I got those, but did not get FJ.  I also said Little Lord Fauntleroy.

On ‎03‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:29 PM, lb60 said:

I did get sandstone

So did I.

On ‎03‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:43 PM, Bastet said:

I wonder if none of them had ever heard of it, because even though I wouldn't expect one of any given three contestants to know the fact at hand, if any of them learned along the way that loess was some sort of sedimentary deposit, the “more or …” clue within the clue

I'd never heard of it, but the "more or" part made me say "less" even though I didn't think it was correct.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Etta Place said:

Alex continues his reign of terror against Italian. The Duel category had "Il Duelce" as a play on words for Mussolini and Alex pronounced it as "do-ell-say" when it should have come out like "dool-chay", sounding almost like Duce (and exactly like "dulce", Italian for "sweet").

But the category - Duel Personalities, about famous participants in duels - is why he did that play on words; "this leader of Italy was a part of several sword duels in his youth," so instead of Il Duce, call him Il Duelce, pronounced like duel.  It was a purposeful pun, not a mispronunciation -- at least the first part.  I didn't catch that he said "say" (like for the Spanish dulce) instead of "chay" (like for the Italian dolce) for the second.

On ‎03‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:26 PM, Toothbrush said:

Steve's answer of 'Fett' for Boba Fett was weird & needed a BMS since his dad (Jango Fett) also used Slave I. 

That's what I thought, too.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

Then, I guessed Poirot, but I really should have known because of the Hercules connection

I got it right as soon as I realized those were two of the labors of Hercules.  I knew Symbionese Liberation Army right away.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Smorgasbordello

Shouldn't all bordellos be smorgasbordellos? lol

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

But the category - Duel Personalities, about famous participants in duels - is why he did that play on words; "this leader of Italy was a part of several sword duels in his youth," so instead of Il Duce, call him Il Duelce, pronounced like duel.  It was a purposeful pun, not a mispronunciation -- at least the first part.  I didn't catch that he said "say" (like for the Spanish dulce) instead of "chay" (like for the Italian dolce) for the second.

I don’t pronounce “duel” with 2 syllables. 

12 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I have just said "duel" to myself a half dozen times, trying to decide whether I use one or two syllables. I am going with one and a half syllables

I know what you mean.  I pronounce both syllables in duel, but don't divide them as clearly as I do with the two in dual.

4 hours ago, Trey said:

almost had Yahoo, knew the word started with Y but couldn't quite pull it out.

Since the category was 'Crossword Clues - Y' that makes sense. 😄

However, I forgot that was the name of the category, so I was lost.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Since the category was 'Crossword Clues - Y' that makes sense. 😄

However, I forgot that was the name of the category, so I was lost.

D'oh! I forgot that was the category:)  But I really did know it started with Y.

3 hours ago, Etta Place said:

I don’t pronounce “duel” with 2 syllables. 

3 hours ago, forumfish said:

I like the so-called "tricky" categories. I find it combines trivia (because you do need to know facts) with creativity and humor. To each his own.

I have just said "duel" to myself a half dozen times, trying to decide whether I use one or two syllables. I am going with one and a half syllables -- "doo-l" -- not "dool" as rhymes with "tool" or "fool" but not "doo-ul" either. I give the "l" a teensy bit of emphasis. And now my head hurts.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know what you mean.  I pronounce both syllables in duel, but don't divide them as clearly as I do with the two in dual.

I think I agree with the 1.5 syllable interpretation. Sort of like when I learned that dial was two syllables. Who knew? But once I heard it, I heard it.

But now I've forgotten how this relates back to the game 🙂

On the "mispronunciation" of names, my best friend growing up had a Polish last name, which she and her cousins pronounced completely differently -- the cousins' family gave up on trying to get Americans to say it the Polish way.

Steven seems like a nice guy, and he's obviously good at this game, but I think it's kind of cute/sad that all his fun stories seem to be his wife's ideas! (Cosplay, Oscars party....)

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, SHD said:

I thought I had a chance on FJ today, but I blew it. I said Elvis and Prince (because of the “monarchy” clue).

Me, too!  I forgot about Aretha!  Sorry, Aretha!  And I could not for the life of me come up with the name of the game Trouble.  I could picture that dice popper, though.  I think we spent more time playing with that than we did actually playing the game.

But I did get Lindsey Wagner, Germany, zero, and miasma.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, SHD said:

I thought I had a chance on FJ today, but I blew it. I said Elvis and Prince (because of the “monarchy” clue).

I did, too, but I  knew it was wrong as I knew that Prince died in December and earlier than that.  

5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

nd I could not for the life of me come up with the name of the game Trouble.

I got that one.  I was also screaming Lindsay Wagner at the TV.  I think that makes me old.  

When they asked about the state of Nitrogen and Hydrogen (or whatever, I'm not a scientist, sue me), I did say liquid, but not until after I said New Mexico, LOL.  That would have been embarrassing beyond all ability to get past it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Groucho Marx died three days after Elvis Presley. Some people suspect that Elvis is now Groucho's driver, and Groucho sends Elvis into stores to buy cigars, which is why Elvis is sometimes seen but Groucho is not.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

It's a Tuesday miracle! Blah, blah, see post from last night. However, after I came up with the two names, I kept wondering what the hell they had to do with butterflies. Yup, even when I'm right, I'm an idiot. King and queen, indeed.

I also got Lindsay Wagner and Trouble. I was very sad that Trouble was a TS. I freakin' loved that game as a kid.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, Driad said:

Groucho Marx died three days after Elvis Presley. Some people suspect that Elvis is now Groucho's driver, and Groucho sends Elvis into stores to buy cigars, which is why Elvis is sometimes seen but Groucho is not.

Groucho must also like Burger King Whoppers. I know Elvis does.

I thought Steve was doing The Matt Jackson Finger Count for games won during the intro, but Trebek seems to think it's The Buzzy Cohen. I associate Buzzy with The Shoulder Swipe. But that's just me.

I came up with Aretha at the last second, after going through several names, including B.B. King. Now I have three more chances to get another FJ this week.

This very interesting note was posted on TheJeopardyFan, and relates to discussions we've had here: "Something I’d like to point out, because the show does receive criticism when they only feature white men in categories: Four of the five works in the BESTSELLERS category were written by women, the fifth by an Asian-American."

Go figure, the Bestsellers category was not Women Bestsellers. Amazing! Can we survive this phenomena?

• Love 6
7 hours ago, forumfish said:

I have just said "duel" to myself a half dozen times, trying to decide whether I use one or two syllables. I am going with one and a half syllables -- "doo-l" -- not "dool" as rhymes with "tool" or "fool" but not "doo-ul" either. I give the "l" a teensy bit of emphasis. And now my head hurts.

Ha ha - this reminds me of a scene in a recent Documentary Now! episode where John Mulaney was berating someone for saying the word ruined like “ru-ined” when he insisted it was “rooned.”

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

However, after I came up with the two names, I kept wondering what the hell they had to do with butterflies. 

That’s initially what I thought!!!

I hate when Alex’s reply to a wrong answer is “Oh...noooo.” Because it really sounds like the subtext is “Wow, that was a really easy question, how could you get it wrong?”

Edited by SHD
  • Love 9

Oh how I have missed this forum.  I was lucky to be traveling for a couple of weeks and mostly missed Jeopardy. Glad to get back on regular viewing and forum reading schedules of yesterday. 

FJ was an instaget since I passed through Memphis (and I remember where I was when Elvis died) on my way home to Detroit (where the Aretha coverage was substantial and well deserved).

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Jeopardy was not shown here due to coverage of a fire at a local chemical plant. Glad to see that Steve is now a 5-time champ, and I got FJ instantly reading it at J! archives. I didn't realize they died on the same date, but got it from the word monarch. 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

thought Steve was doing The Matt Jackson Finger Count for games won during the intro, but Trebek seems to think it's The Buzzy Cohen. I associate Buzzy with The Shoulder Swipe. But that's just me.

Not just you. We said the same thing Monday. IOW, we're right & Alex is wrong. 

24 minutes ago, SHD said:

I hate when Alex’s reply to a wrong answer is “Oh...noooo.” Because it really sounds like the subtext is “Wow, that was a really easy question, how could you get it wrong?”

Ugh, I hate that too. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I knew Elvis immediately and also thought of Prince at first.  But I was pretty sure he's been dead longer than 7 months (he has; it's been close to 3 years.)  Then I realized some monarchs are female -- as in the  Queen of Soul!  Don't know if I'd have had time to scratch out Prince and write Aretha.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I did, too, but I  knew it was wrong as I knew that Prince died in December and earlier than that. 

He died in April. I remembered that because of a specific clinical rotation I was on at the time (from March to May of 2016), and being at that rotation when I found out. Prince was my first thought for FJ as well and then quickly ruled it out because of that.

After that, I had absolutely nothing.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Not just you. We said the same thing Monday. IOW, we're right & Alex is wrong. 

Wait, let me grab my parka and earmuffs because for sure hell is freezing over right now.

I got a laugh out of Steven answering "Wiener Dog" for the answer of Dachshund, especially since this show-dog handler said "Hot Dog" out loud. When I was a kid, everyone called them wiener dogs. I would have given it to him if I had been judging.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, lb60 said:

However, after I came up with the two names, I kept wondering what the hell they had to do with butterflies. Yup, even when I'm right, I'm an idiot.

That's ok. For the clue about the Saturn V rocket fuel, when it asked for the state, I said Alabama.

1 hour ago, SHD said:

Man, I hate that, too. 

50 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I got a laugh out of Steven answering "Wiener Dog" for the answer of Dachshund, especially since this show-dog handler said "Hot Dog" out loud. 

And when Alex was waiting for him to say the correct name, he said weiner-mahwer. I think in trying to come up with some real name, Weimaraner entered his mind.

I got Lindsey Wagner (in the nick of time), Germany (after Steven guessed Russia), and miasma.

For FJ, I immediately came up with Aretha, then I did some math and ended up in the 60's. (Math is not my strong suit.) For some reason I thought it was probably the 70's, and I came to Elvis. And then I seemed to recall people saying they had died years apart on the same day.

I liked Anika a lot, but I'm still glad Steven won.

• Love 6
(edited)
57 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

FJ was an IG because August 16th is my dad’s birthday

It's also my mom's birthday; I'm pretty sure I'd have known it anyway, given coverage of Aretha's death (which, of course, noted the coincidence) was semi-recent, plus the "monarch" clue within the clue, but that definitely helped.

I had to read the archive.  When I got home I discovered I needed to fix my refrigerator (<grrr>, but hopefully the temporary fix works until I can get the part I need and thus no food will have to be tossed) and thus missed the game, so I wasn't at my best, and I discovered I've never heard anything about Yahtzee other than its name, because I didn't know that one at all.  On the flip side, even without being able to see the picture, I got the mahjong clue.  (I also got the Trouble TS; I rarely played that, but remembered that pop-o-matic bubble die roller thing.)

I was mildly surprised no one knew the liquor in a Rob Roy.  The Lindsay Wagner TS didn't really surprise me, I guess, but it did make me roll my eyes.  These whippersnappers (I don't even know if the challengers are young enough for the Bionic Woman to be "before their time," I just like to grumble about kids today on general principle).  Now, if Cagney & Lacey had been a TS, I'd have thrown something (soft) at my monitor.  None of the other TS raised an eyebrow.

But Kentucky = coal mine in DJ, really?

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, SHD said:

That’s initially what I thought!!!

Now I don't feel so bad.

29 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

That's ok. For the clue about the Saturn V rocket fuel, when it asked for the state, I said Alabama.

Hahaha! I said Florida.

Sometimes I wonder about my intelligence. Or lack thereof.

• LOL 1
13 hours ago, Jesse said:

On the "mispronunciation" of names, my best friend growing up had a Polish last name, which she and her cousins pronounced completely differently -- the cousins' family gave up on trying to get Americans to say it the Polish way.

My childhood last name was of British origin, but my brother gave it a French pronunciation (which, to be fair, allowed more people to pronounce it). So when I called his work (he lived across the country) because there was an emergency, the person who answered was suspicious of me since I said the last name the correct way. (that's when I found out he gave it the French spin)

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I thought Steve was doing The Matt Jackson Finger Count for games won during the intro, but Trebek seems to think it's The Buzzy Cohen. I associate Buzzy with The Shoulder Swipe. But that's just me.

Me too.

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And when Alex was waiting for him to say the correct name, he said weiner-mahwer. I think in trying to come up with some real name, Weimaraner entered his mind.

Thanks - I couldn't figure out how he came up with that.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was mildly surprised no one knew the liquor in a Rob Roy.  The Lindsay Wagner TS didn't really surprise me, I guess, but it did make me roll my eyes.  These whippersnappers (I don't even know if the challengers are young enough for the Bionic Woman to be "before their time," I just like to grumble about kids today on general principle).  Now, if Cagney & Lacey had been a TS, I'd have thrown something (soft) at my monitor.  None of the other TS raised an eyebrow.

Bionic Woman was definitely not before my time, but all I could think of was Lindsay (and a number of other last names that had nothing to do with it). I almost missed Cagney & Lacey and got to it via a circuitous route - I remembered that Terry's daughters on Brooklyn 99 were named after them and THEN the synapses fired. LOL.

• Love 2

I went with the King and the King of Pop.

This reminds me of a funny WWF (as was) promo for the King of the ring promo in which Jerry "The King" Lawler was going to compete. All variety of kings seated around a table proclaiming that Lawler was no king, including a mummy, a german shepard, and Elvis.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I got FJ thanks to Facebook. My newsfeed always explodes with tributes when a celebrity dies, and I'm pretty good with remembering approximate timelines of events if not exact dates.

Count me as another one who hates the way Alex says "Oh no" when someone misses one he thinks is easy.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, SHD said:

I said BB King and Nat King Cole.  (Not sure the years were even close to being right.)  I did think of Elvis, but Aretha Franklin did not cross my mind at all.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Jesse said:

My father was Polish. He came to an assembly when I was in junior high. When my name was said, he told me they said it wrong. I was embarrassed because that was how I was saying it. I changed after that.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But I did get Lindsey Wagner, Germany, zero, and miasma.

I got Germany, miasma and Lindsey Wagner, although it did take some digging to remember her first name.  On second thought, Wagner would've been fine, probably.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

When they asked about the state of Nitrogen and Hydrogen (or whatever, I'm not a scientist, sue me), I did say liquid, but not until after I said New Mexico, LOL.  That would have been embarrassing beyond all ability to get past it.

Okay, now I don't feel quite so bad.  :-)

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

11 hours ago, lb60 said:

Hahaha! I said Florida.

My people!

Edited by proserpina65
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wait, let me grab my parka and earmuffs because for sure hell is freezing over right now.

I got a laugh out of Steven answering "Wiener Dog" for the answer of Dachshund, especially since this show-dog handler said "Hot Dog" out loud. When I was a kid, everyone called them wiener dogs. I would have given it to him if I had been judging.

I wouldn't have, because it's just a nickname and not the actual name of the dog, but I did find it amusing.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I was mildly surprised no one knew the liquor in a Rob Roy. 

I said whisky - think they'd have accepted that?  The Scots don't call it scotch.

Just wanted to apologize for all the consecutive replies.  Usually they end up merging when they're that close together.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1