Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was surprised by Trebek  telling ... was it Lindsey? that the answer of "what is a deer" was "a tough one," this when the clue contained "fallow" and another kind of deer in it. Can't remember the details, I just made a note of it since I found the clue/answer insanely simple. But then animal categories are my strength, opera and Shakespeare, not so much.

I don't know a lot about animals, but I have heard of red deer and fallow deer, and I've been to Richmond Park and seen deer there.  So this was an IG for me.

I don't actively dislike Lindsey, but I do have to admit that her aggressive style of ringing in is starting to get on my nerves a little.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was surprised by Trebek  telling ... was it Lindsey? that the answer of "what is a deer" was "a tough one," this when the clue contained "fallow" and another kind of deer in it. Can't remember the details, I just made a note of it since I found the clue/answer insanely simple. But then animal categories are my strength, opera and Shakespeare, not so much.

It was red and fallow in the clue, and I didn't get it.

• LOL 1

Yay, Jonathan!  After the FJ category was called, I pre-guessed either Tudor or Stuart, but then when the clue came up, I picked the wrong one.  Boo, hiss.

So glad Alex got to say "genre" more than once!  LOL

I only wrote down two TS -- return receipt and angostura bitters.  I'd like to thank Justin Wilson for my knowledge of angostura bitters.

1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

buzzer.png.2c4db520f2fbf7c47253363241d33e0d.png

Eh, I'd ridicule a man just as much for his buzzer torture, and I suspect I have done.

• Love 14

I'm always tickled when my love of English History comes in handy 🙂  Bonnie Prince Charlie was one of the last of the Stuart line...   Lindsay attacking her buzzer was even commented on by one of our local news anchors 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Lindsay didn't bother me at all, but I don't think for those that it did, it was a sexist thing.  Awkward sentence, I know, sorry.

I couldn't believe only one of them got Stuart.   But, I do love my British Royal history.

Apparently mountains are like geography to me:)  I did get Matterhorn and Mauna, though, so it wasn't a complete loss.  

I wanted Aaron Burr to be an answer in the VP category.  Why?  I don't really have a reason.  I did not do well in that category either.  I got John Adams, and I think I would have gotten Dan Quayle if I had more time.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I wanted Aaron Burr to be an answer in the VP category.  Why?  I don't really have a reason.

So you could say "Aaron Burr" like you had a mouthful of peanut butter sandwich, of course.

I knew Lust for Life, but couldn't pull it out of the deep recesses of my brain in time.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I couldn't believe only one of them got Stuart.   But, I do love my British Royal history.

I wanted Aaron Burr to be an answer in the VP category.  Why?  I don't really have a reason.  I did not do well in that category either.  I got John Adams, and I think I would have gotten Dan Quayle if I had more time.  

British royalty was one of my weakest subjects, so I've read about 10 books on it and watched a few documentaries as well. Still, when the category came up, I told my BFF I probably wouldn't get it right. Then I did get it right! Something stuck in this aging mind of mine!

I really hope I have a chance to answer "Aaron Burr" on my show. I freaking love that commercial. Speaking of the show, my per diem check arrived today. I was hoping it'd be a fancy Jeopardy check I could frame (I just take a picture to deposit). Alas, it was boring. But it said Jeopardy so I'm still going to frame it. Anyway, it just got really real that I'm flying out there next weekend. Crazy!

• Love 20
10 minutes ago, teebax said:

British royalty was one of my weakest subjects, so I've read about 10 books on it and watched a few documentaries as well. Still, when the category came up, I told my BFF I probably wouldn't get it right. Then I did get it right! Something stuck in this aging mind of mine!

I really hope I have a chance to answer "Aaron Burr" on my show. I freaking love that commercial. Speaking of the show, my per diem check arrived today. I was hoping it'd be a fancy Jeopardy check I could frame (I just take a picture to deposit). Alas, it was boring. But it said Jeopardy so I'm still going to frame it. Anyway, it just got really real that I'm flying out there next weekend. Crazy!

So excited for you.  And jealous. I've taken the online test 3 times.  But, realistically speaking, it's probably for the best.  I'm really shy and self-conscious in front of people.  I'll live vicariously through you.  Good luck.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

So excited for you.  And jealous. I've taken the online test 3 times.  But, realistically speaking, it's probably for the best.  I'm really shy and self-conscious in front of people.  I'll live vicariously through you.  Good luck.

Thanks for the kind words. Truth be told, I'm terrified I'm going to freeze up and make an ass of myself. I'm taking getting picked as my win. Everything else is gravy. 

• Love 13

I said Bergman Gooddorf for the answer of Bergdorf Goodman.

I said "Moulin Rouge" for Lindsey's missed DD, then thought no, that movie was Nicole Kidman swinging on a swing and falling in love with a poet. Turns out that was correct, and also turns out Toulouse was in the movie too. I did find out there are five movies titled Moulin Rouge; three of them did not have a Toulouse in the cast.

I laughed with everyone else when Jonathan answered "My Left Ear."

Did anyone count how many times Trebek got to say "genre"? Or did you pass out drunk before the end of the game.

I got "mattress pad thai." Maybe because I love me some pad thai. And I have a mattress pad.

Good on Karen for going for broke on FJ. If she had been correct, she would be the new champ.

When I saw the FJ category, I thought, "Oh, cr*p, big fail for me, and I'll have to read all those PTV posts from people who love British royalty." Then I saw the clue and couldn't believe it. Instaget. Thank you Diana Gabaldon. 

It's been 88 games since the last five-time champ. Congrats Lindsey on your $101,000-plus pay check. Well done. You're the best. Hope you make it to the TofC.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I did one better.  I answered "My Left Ear" to the second Van Gogh movie, thinking he might be on to something.  Obviously, he wasn't.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, teebax said:

Thanks for the kind words. Truth be told, I'm terrified I'm going to freeze up and make an ass of myself. I'm taking getting picked as my win. Everything else is gravy. 

Just remember that whatever transpires, we have your back here at PTV!

• Love 7

What season are you saying good-bye to on the first day of spring?  Really?

“My Left Ear” gave me a good chuckle, though.

I never tire of hearing Alex say “genre” – it’s my absolute favorite of his pronunciations of foreign words (which I love; his accents when imitating someone are terrible, but his foreign word game is on point).

I also never tire of Before & After categories.  (It seems like there’s always a contestant who doesn’t pay attention to the category with those, but I love them.)  And now I'm craving Pad Thai.

The return receipt TS surprised me.

• Love 7

Did "My Left Ear" really happen? I mean, did someone really say that ?

I got the DD of Moulin Rouge, mattress pad thai, and then FJ. I don't know how I got Stuart, except that it seems like it's a house that has been left in the dust. Does "Bonnie Prince Charlie" refer to a specific guy? 

Instead of "Lust for Life" I said "The Agony and the Ecstasy". Doh.

I couldn't recall the name of the flower agapanthus. I just call it Lily of the Nile since I can't recall the other name.

Bean as a dog's name? Is that common?

• Love 1

I got FJ! I was so excited because British royalty is a hit or miss category with me. I originally hovered on Tudor because of Henry but realized that was ridiculous. After a few second Charles led me to the Stuart Restoration. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, teebax said:

You've been picked to be on the Olympic team! Even a bronze medal (third place finish in your game) is an awesome achievement!

Edited by j5cochran
Changed "metal" to "medal" - speeling counts!
  • Love 13
charlie brown dancing GIF

See ya, Lindsey. I'm sure your buzzer is as relieved as I am that you lost.

Opposite week in my brain appears to be over.  

I got return receipt and Moulin Rouge (love!). No clue for FJ, but I don't care. The buzzer masher is gone.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Bean is the call name of GCH Kamand Full Of Beans @ Erinhill, the Sussex Spaniel that won the Sporting Group at Westminster this year. (Side note: He's a grandson of "Stump" that was the oldest dog to win Best in Show at WKC.) However, in all my years in dogs and knowing, quite literally, thousands of dogs, I've never heard of any other dog named Bean.

So, to answer your question, no, it's not a common name and that was a stupid clue. My guess is one of the J! writers watched WKC and thought Bean was cool because he knows how to sit up. You know, like no other dog can do THAT. *sarcasm*

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Does "Bonnie Prince Charlie" refer to a specific guy?

Yes. Long story short, he was the heir to the throne, and the Jacobite Uprising (1745) in Scotland was the attempt to put him back on the throne. The bad part is, the uprising failed, all the Scottish clansmen were either killed on the battlefield of Culloden (1746) or banished to the wilds of America, it was made illegal to wear tartan and Scotland was put under British rule. The Bonnie Prince (Charles Edward Stuart) escaped to France, and that was the end of the House of Stuart. And why I'm in America and not Scotland, the land of my ancestors. And also why a lot of Scots are quite testy about being under British rule to this day; there even was a vote for independence a few years ago. (Failed.) We Scots can carry a grudge for centuries.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, teebax said:

Acorn.tv just released a new documentary called Henry IX. I started watching it, but had to stop - the sound levels were all over the place. One minute it sounds like the dude's whispering, the next he's yelling. I wasn't learning anything from that, so I quit. Maybe I'll try again when I've finished my binge of Doc Martin.

ETA: Bean isn't a common dog name at all, but Bear sure is. I don't think I've ever seen the name Bronson, either, but I've seen a lot of Brody. Working for a vet, you get to see a lot of really cool or really stupid pet names.  The other week, I was working on a chart of a dog named Joan Jett when the doc sitting next to me was looking at her phone while discussing some patients with another vet. Then she said, "Luke Perry died," and I thought she was still talking about pets.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 5
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I spent most of the time thinking it was 5 inches instead of 5 feet - so I was in completely different animal category (who's a cute and dangerous hedgehog? who is?) But I realized it was feet just in time and ot it right.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I said Bergman Gooddorf for the answer of Bergdorf Goodman.

I said "Moulin Rouge" for Lindsey's missed DD, then thought no, that movie was Nicole Kidman swinging on a swing and falling in love with a poet. Turns out that was correct, and also turns out Toulouse was in the movie too. I did find out there are five movies titled Moulin Rouge; three of them did not have a Toulouse in the cast.

Did anyone count how many times Trebek got to say "genre"? Or did you pass out drunk before the end of the game.

I got "mattress pad thai." Maybe because I love me some pad thai. And I have a mattress pad.

Good on Karen for going for broke on FJ. If she had been correct, she would be the new champ.

When I saw the FJ category, I thought, "Oh, cr*p, big fail for me, and I'll have to read all those PTV posts from people who love British royalty." Then I saw the clue and couldn't believe it. Instaget. Thank you Diana Gabaldon. 

It's been 88 games since the last five-time champ. Congrats Lindsey on your $101,000-plus pay check. Well done. You're the best. Hope you make it to the TofC.

I love pad Thai and also have a mattress pad, but for some reason my brain couldn't stop trying to figure out a single answer for each part of the clue, instead of two answers that mashed together, so I missed all of them. Argghhh.

Gabaldon was also the reason for my getting the Bonnie Prince Charlie clue. I'm fairly strong on the Tudors, but except for Mary Queen of Scots, not so much on the Stuarts.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The other week, I was working on a chart of a dog named Joan Jett when the doc sitting next to me was looking at her phone while discussing some patients with another vet. Then she said, "Luke Perry died," and I thought she was still talking about pets.

Hee. We named our cat Mickey Mouse.  When the vet encouraged me by laughing, I told him his mafia name was Mickey the Mouser. By the time he'd been in that office twenty times for diabetes problems I think they  loved our cat more than we did.  How do you all stand the constant loss?

• Love 2
14 hours ago, teebax said:

I really hope I have a chance to answer "Aaron Burr" on my show.

If I ever get back on, I want to be able to say Aaron Burr so I can say "Aaron Burr, Sir". 

13 hours ago, teebax said:

The contestant staff is very good at making you feel comfortable so you don't do a Cindy Brady on air.  

And, I finally got a FJ this week!!   For me, that is akin to asking me my middle name.   I do know my British royals. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes. Long story short, he was the heir to the throne, and the Jacobite Uprising (1745) in Scotland was the attempt to put him back on the throne. The bad part is, the uprising failed, all the Scottish clansmen were either killed on the battlefield of Culloden (1746) or banished to the wilds of America, it was made illegal to wear tartan and Scotland was put under British rule. The Bonnie Prince (Charles Edward Stuart) escaped to France, and that was the end of the House of Stuart. And why I'm in America and not Scotland, the land of my ancestors. And also why a lot of Scots are quite testy about being under British rule to this day; there even was a vote for independence a few years ago. (Failed.) We Scots can carry a grudge for centuries.

Very well explained. Thank you. I know I've heard about Bonnie Prince Charlie, but even so whenever I hear the name I think of the current Prince Charles.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Maybe I'll try again when I've finished my binge of Doc Martin.

I love that show. I'm eagerly awaiting the next season.

ETA: Bean isn't a common dog name at all, but Bear sure is. I don't think I've ever seen the name Bronson, either, but I've seen a lot of Brody. 

Did all the dog names in the category begin with B? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Oh, I didn't notice that. The clue/answer for that category in J6 was not a B name. But maybe B names was the theme for the show category. None of the answers had much to do with dog names, they were just random questions, like left-overs, and writers are tired of using Pot Pourri as a category title.

Another Doc Martin fan here, except I've lost my PBS channels. But Martin was getting pretty insufferable anyway so I don't miss him personally.

Edited by saber5055
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I really want someone to make a Van Gogh movie now called My Left Ear. 

There was a show on PBS (when I had those channels!) about Van Gogh's ear, trying to determine if he really cut it off and if so, what part was left and what part came off. The answer was revealed in the final minutes of this 60-hour "investigation." The other 58 minutes was a bunch of jabber. Still, I watched the entire thing!

• Love 1

When I saw the FJ clue, I thought "D'uh, Stuart." but then I thought "Why wouldn't Bonnie Prince Charlie have the same family name as his brother?  Why is it phrased that way?  Did he not have the same name?  Is this a trick?'.  Then I realized I was overthinking it and stayed with the correct answer.  No, Alex, neither York nor Tudor were good answers.  Explicable, especially Tudor since that was Henry the 8th's family name, but not good answers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

buzzer.png.2c4db520f2fbf7c47253363241d33e0d.png

Except no one was ridiculing her for being smart and trying hard.  We complained because the buzzer mashing was annoying.  Her gender is irrelevant.  Commenters on this board have done that exact thing for male contestants.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I pre-guessed Spiro Agnew.  Kind of glad he wasn't in there.  And I said Mondale instead of Humphrey; I often do that.  Oh well, at least he was from Minnesota.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I knew Lust for Life, but couldn't pull it out of the deep recesses of my brain in time.

I was shouting it but somehow none of them heard me.  I also got Bergdorf Goodman - not a TS, but still, I was happy about it.

17 hours ago, teebax said:

Speaking of the show, my per diem check arrived today

You got a per diem check?  Wow, that's changed since I was on.  That has been more than 10 years, though.  Or maybe it's just for tournaments.  I'm looking forward to more details about the tournament experience once you're allowed to talk about it.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I took a wild guess at that one.  Color me surprised that he was in it.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't eat Thai food, but I've seen them eat it often enough on Big Bang Theory.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

he was the heir to the throne, and the Jacobite Uprising (1745) in Scotland was the attempt to put him back on the throne. The bad part is, the uprising failed, all the Scottish clansmen were either killed on the battlefield of Culloden (1746) or banished to the wilds of America, it was made illegal to wear tartan and Scotland was put under British rule. The Bonnie Prince (Charles Edward Stuart) escaped to France, and that was the end of the House of Stuart.

Actually he was allegedly the grandson of the last Stuart monarch to sit on the British throne (there was definitely debate at the time about that), and Scotland had already become part of the kingdom after the death of Elizabeth I, more than a century before the Battle of Culloden.  The failure of the Jacobite rebellion did lead to the government in London dealing extremely harshly with the Scots, though.  The wearing of tartan did indeed become illegal, and many clansmen who survived the rebellion were expelled, especially the chiefs of clans who supported Bonnie Prince Charlie.

46 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

No, Alex, neither York nor Tudor were good answers. 

Let me translate that for you: Wrong answers are not good answers.

And "long story short" means just that. Even my short story was too long. *cough*

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

No, Alex, neither York nor Tudor were good answers. 

To be fair, they were royal houses but centuries earlier so I also thought that they were not good answers. 

If anyone is curious, the last York king's (Richard III) reign ended in 1485, the last Tudor monarch's reign ended in 1603 (Queen Elizabeth 1) and Henry Benedict Stuart lived from 1725 – 1807.   Actually, Henry Stuart had a really interesting life - he was Roman Catholic Cardinal - and in fact was one of the longest serving Cardinals in the Church's history.   

19 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

To be fair, they were royal houses but centuries earlier so I also thought that they were not good answers. 

If anyone is curious, the last York king's (Richard III) reign ended in 1485, the last Tudor monarch's reign ended in 1603 (Queen Elizabeth 1) and Henry Benedict Stuart lived from 1725 – 1807.   Actually, Henry Stuart had a really interesting life - he was Roman Catholic Cardinal - and in fact was one of the longest serving Cardinals in the Church's history.   

Although Henry Benedict Stuart was a descendant of Henry VII (Tudor) through his daughter Margaret, so you could perhaps make a case if you wanted to get into a whole matriarchal feminist thing:)  And, ditto for York since Margaret's mother was Elizabeth York, Richard III's niece. 

yes, I know, it doesn't work that way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

No.  I don't remember all the names, but the poodle was Jacques, and the one regarding the dog being the queen of the house was Sheba.

• Love 1

I’m travelling again, and Jeopardy here is on ABC, so I got it at the usual time.  I think it was pre-empted on my “home” channel.

FJ was an instaget for me tonight.  I love Poe.  But I will not go see scary movies.  

I don’t mind Jonathan, but he needs to stop flailing his buzzer arm. At least he’s on the end now, and won’t hurt anyone.

There were a few surprising TS tonight — I got Cyrus McCormick, DeForest Kelley, spacesuit, and Marie Antoinette.  I was terribly sad that they missed DeForest Kelley.  Bones had some of the best lines in Star Trek, including my favorite, “I’m a doctor, not a bricklayer!”

• Love 4
10 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

How do you all stand the constant loss?

I don't deal directly with the pets; I'm inputting all the old entries on the charts to complete the digital conversion. But I can tell you that for the past year, I've been working on nothing but dead pets and I have been SO freakin' depressed, calling in sick, leaving early, etc. because dealing with dead pets was so very draining. Then, when my cat got sick, I started imagining the worst.  She had exploratory surgery today and it's NOT lymphoma; she's just got IBD which can be controlled with special food and a short course of Prednisolone.  And I'm not typing up dead pet charts anymore!!  I'm much happier. Stella is still in the hospital and Bosco's wandering around, totally lost without her. There's nobody to wash the top of his head.

Earlier, I was continuing my binge-watching of Doc Martin, which ran over into J! time. I turned over to J! just in time to see the Doc Martin question and I'm still laughing.  I thought this was interesting: The show was created by Dominic Minghella and Doc Martin's name, Ellingham, is an anagram of Minghella.

I blew FJ. For some reason, I got Dashiell Hammett in my head & couldn't let him go.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was an instaget for me tonight.  I love Poe.  But I will not go see scary movies.  

If by scary movies you mean horror movies, I'm with you. For me, it's because I don't like blood and guts. Now I love me some suspense. Poe has always been my favorite writer. 

That was an exciting game with three solid players. Congratulations to Jonathan. We don't often see giant slayers repeat as champs. Yes, I know Lindsey won four games, but she was really sharp, regardless of her buzzer-murdering technique!) I would have been happy with any of today's three contestants winning.

This is the first time in ages I wrote down my gets. I had Marie Antoinette (strange TS), Hedda Gabler, George Washington, and Ozzy Newsome. Of course I had FJ immediately. I was disappointed that Stephanie didn't write anything down. I guess you risk giving a bad answer, but it seems worth it to just pick an American Author and hope for the best. 

• Love 5

So crazy that McCormick was a TS (which I answered easily) since I was uploading a tractor magazine to the printer while watching the show. I also live near the headquarters of Deere & Co., and my house is in the middle of corn and bean fields. I'm tapping my fingers waiting for a tractor/farming category.

Kate got a GFY! It's been a while since we've had a drink, if you ignore the drunken stupor from all the "genres" the other day.

Jonathan is a mountain climber! Okay, so I'm liking this guy. Shared interests and all.

Hilarious that DeForest Kelly was a TS. What's up with no Trekkies on this panel? I just got done watching the original ST, and Next Gen is on now. Love me some Picard.

Hilarious No. 2 was the shout out to Doc Martin after we talked about that show here today.

Marie Antoinette was a TS. I know I'm not THAT smart. Those players must have just been tired by the time that clue came up.

I got a laugh from Rodan's The Thinker being a clue/answer since it is in the Jeopardy! opening credits every day; it even "dabbed" during the College Tournament.

I got FJ instantly, which shocked me and now makes me nervous for tomorrow. I'm already having one of my best FJ weeks for ages, and if I get tomorrow, I'll tie my high FJ score ... which I've only gotten once in the half year we've been having the FJ contest. Oh, the PRESSURE!

ETA: LOL at Trebek's (really poor) Hitchcock imitation when reading the FJ clue. At least it had absolutely no bearing on the answer, thank goodness.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was reading with a third grader this afternoon. I read with a different student every day, so they're often in the middle of their book. Today's book was about a family that wanted to foster a service dog. One of the characters was named Bean. I was super excited, until the student explained that was the nickname of the younger brother. So close!

I may or may not (I do) know a dog named Lunchbox. He has a tendency to eat whatever is not glued down.

Tonight, I only got space suit and FJ. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4