Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had no clue as to FJ!  I said Oberammergau or wherever the Passion Play is held. I disagree that Alsace rhymes with glass.  I like Dave, therefore he is doomed.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 1

I like Dave too, and am glad he had a better game today & won some decent moolah. He's also very handsome. Wasn't crazy about his jacket/shirt combo. 

TS I got were Alsace, rocket science, psychology, violet, N. Korea, Peggy Sue, sinking of the Titanic, The Owl & the Pussycat (hello again runcible spoon!). FJ was an instaget, & I wish they could have given the game to Ryan for his answer 😂

Did Mara's DD in DJ make anyone else think of this? I looked it up on YT to show the oldest mini-Toothbrush why hubby & I were killing ourselves laughing (besides the fact that we are easily amused), and was shocked to see that I was only about 2 when it aired & Dr. Toothbrush 7 or 8. I mean logically I knew it was that long ago but just shows that some things really stand the test of time while others...don't. 

land shark GIF by Saturday Night Live

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I wish they could have given the game to Ryan for his answer 😂

I do appreciate the level of self-deprecation knowing that he had completely shot himself in the foot with those DDs. 

I can understand not knowing Peggy Sue, but anybody who thinks that JFK was still alive in 1964 has no business being a Jeopardy! champion. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Anyone else think about "Candygram for Mongo!" when candygram came up?

I thought of the land shark on SNL.

• Love 8

I mean, JFK?  In 1964? 

I said Nixon.

Anyone else think about "Candygram for Mongo!" when candygram came up?

*Raises hand* Except I didn't know until today that a Candygram was a real thing. I thought it was something from the imagination of Mel Brooks.

I easily got the TS of violet, finally a question about Illinois official state somethings that I knew. My mom raised violets in our kitchen window, and they grow wild in my Illinois yard.

I wish someone would tell Trebek that maybe $4,500 is a paltry sum to him, but to me it's almost a year's pay and would make a difference in whether I buy from the $1 menu or am able to spring for a big full-price burger.

I also got the TS Titanic. Didn't keep track of other TSs. Except this one:

SHOUT OUT! to the Owl and the Pussycat and their runcible spoon! So exciting!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Not the brightest bulbs in the factory tonight. Good luck living down JFK!

I got rocket, psychology, sinking of the Titanic, and LBJ.  

No clue for FJ. Guess I'm not the brightest bulb, either. Boo hiss!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, lb60 said:

No clue for FJ. Guess I'm not the brightest bulb, either. Boo hiss!

Me neither.  I was thinking Jerusalem or Bethlehem -- visitors at Christmas and Easter.  So pilgrims go to Mecca just once a year?  I thought the Haj was year-round. 

Alex seemed tired today, or rather his voice did.  Not nearly as animated as usual.

• Love 1

Oh my.  They all qualified to be there, so they’re not dumb, but it was really not any of the contestants’ day.  There were at least ten TS, many of them surprising, two of three DDs were answered incorrectly, and there were several mind-boggling wrong answers (JFK was the worst, but not the only).

I swear Ryan looked surprised to land upon the DD at the end of the first round – even though that was the last clue remaining, and they hadn’t previously uncovered the one DD in that round.  Any other episode, I’d credit him with just being caught up in the game, but he didn't exactly come off as the brightest bulb.  He has a great sense of humor about himself and his performance, though.  If I'd shit the bed like that, I'd be standing there in full grumpy face, so good for him.

FJ was an insta-guess for me -- it immediately sprang to mind (pulled directly out of my ass), and I had no other answer, so I went with it.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

... The Owl & the Pussycat (hello again runcible spoon!)

It's very pleasing to see a reference to a previous Jeopardy clue on the show.

Besides The Owl & and Pussycat, I got Psychology, Peggy Sue, sinking of the Titanic, and LBJ. Also Mecca.

Instead of violet I said wisteria.

Whenever I heard Western Union, in my head I always hear "NAH-nah-nah-nah-nah. NAH-nah-nah-nah-nah. NAH-nah-nah-nah-nah..." Anyone else?

• Love 4

Watched a bunch of episodes over the last two days getting back from Spring Break.  As the previous champ's wins piled up, the buzzer mashing became more frenzied and maniacal.  Oh, the humanity.

The music, geography, and sports categories were in my wheelhouse in the last week.  I would have played well.  If I ever got on the show, though, I'm sure it would be a steady diet of royalty and opera.

• LOL 1

FJ was an IG because we once arrived in Jeddah a few days early not realizing it was the last day of Dhu al Hijjah and the city was packed! Luckily we were staying with friends so didn’t have to worry about a room!

JFK in 1964. Ouch. 

That 60s category was embarrassing. I was yelling at the TV for all those (I’m just glad Alex didn’t bring out the “before your time” comment.)

I had no clue on FJ. I couldn’t think of something that was only open one week per year. I got stuck thinking maybe something with the Pope. As soon as I saw the correct answer it was obvious in hindsight. 

• Love 1

Got Rocket science, North Korea, Peggy Sue, sinking of the Titanic, binary, LBJ, FJ-New Orleans (forgot the “foreign” part of the category and only thought of US locations). 

Nice to see I wasn’t the only one to think Land Shark with Candygram, although Mongo is a good choice, too. (When my family saw Jaws in ‘75, my sister had a nightmare that night that the shark was walking on its back fin down the hall at home to our bedroom. Land Shark was on SNL later that fall, and we had fun teasing her with “Candygram” for months afterward.)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I had no clue on FJ. I couldn’t think of something that was only open one week per year. I got stuck thinking maybe something with the Pope. As soon as I saw the correct answer it was obvious in hindsight. 

I thought of Vatican City during Holy Week. Right idea, wrong religion!

On 3/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, saber5055 said:

There was a show on PBS (when I had those channels!) about Van Gogh's ear, trying to determine if he really cut it off and if so, what part was left and what part came off. The answer was revealed in the final minutes of this 60-hour "investigation." The other 58 minutes was a bunch of jabber. Still, I watched the entire thing!

So, what was the verdict?

On 3/22/2019 at 7:33 PM, peeayebee said:

I really didn't know FJ, but I guessed Lobster Day since I thought it had to do with seafood.

I did too - I didn't get Arbor Day because I thought it was held the same time everywhere (we're celebrating it on the 1st of April).

12 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I had no clue as to FJ!  I said Oberammergau or wherever the Passion Play is held. I disagree that Alsace rhymes with glass.  I like Dave, therefore he is doomed.

It sure doesn't rhyme in English - but I'm guessing that maybe they do rhyme in either French or German (I said Reisling, because they looked like Reisling glasses to me).

21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I found 3 different sites that give a pronunciation of Alsace - they all rhymed with glass. I'd never heard it pronounced that way.

I've never heard it pronounced any other way, so I guess we're even:)

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I knew alchemy, but it wouldn't come to me.  I got LBJ and Peggy Sue, though, so it's all good.  I actually did really well in the first round.  I did not get FJ.  I was trying to think of somewhere people would go annually for a specific holiday or something, but I didn't know.  I didn't even have a guess.  

I said Pamplona for FJ, even though a million people a day sounded like a lot for the running of the bulls.  Mecca makes much more sense.

I got so many TS answers that I was beginning to think I was some kind of genius, lol.  Although I did know that Alsace rhymes with glass - at least that's how my Parisian French professor in college pronounced it.

I was deeply saddened that none of the contestants seemed to have heard of Walter Lord's terrific book about the sinking of the Titanic.  Makes that crap James Cameron movie look, well, like crap.

14 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

TS I got were Alsace, rocket science, psychology, violet, N. Korea, Peggy Sue, sinking of the Titanic, The Owl & the Pussycat

I couldn't come up with violet.  I was going through shades of purple in my mind, but did not get there in time.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It sure doesn't rhyme in English - but I'm guessing that maybe they do rhyme in either French or German (I said Reisling, because they looked like Reisling glasses to me).

Al-sass

6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

at least that's how my Parisian French professor in college pronounced it.

I credit him with giving a decent enough French accent to merit a compliment from the woman at the post office in DeGaulle Airport.  Nothing like hearing a language spoken by a native, I guess.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was deeply saddened that none of the contestants seemed to have heard of Walter Lord's terrific book about the sinking of the Titanic.  Makes that crap James Cameron movie look, well, like crap.

I don't know that I was really aware of the book, but I knew what "A Night to Remember" referred to.  

18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I couldn't come up with violet.  I was going through shades of purple in my mind, but did not get there in time.

Violet was the first thing that popped into myhead, but it was a complete guess.

38 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Al-sass

I credit him with giving a decent enough French accent to merit a compliment from the woman at the post office in DeGaulle Airport.  Nothing like hearing a language spoken by a native, I guess.

So, what is the word for glass, and how is it pronounced?

47 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I said Pamplona for FJ, even though a million people a day sounded like a lot for the running of the bulls.  Mecca makes much more sense.

I got so many TS answers that I was beginning to think I was some kind of genius, lol.  Although I did know that Alsace rhymes with glass - at least that's how my Parisian French professor in college pronounced it.

I read the book ages ago, and if I remember correctly, there was a movie, possibly a tv movie made from it. I still liked Titanic despite all its flaws.

6 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

It would rhyme in German, but not French. 

I was thinking that might be true.

13 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

So, what is the word for glass, and how is it pronounced?

Alsace rhymes with the English word 'glass'.  French for glass is verre.  German is glas.

I can't look at j-archive at work, so I'm not sure how the clue was phrased, whether the answer had to rhyme with the English word glass or with its French or German counterpart.

Edited by proserpina65
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Alsace rhymes with the English word 'glass'.  French for glass is verre.  German is glas.

I can't look at j-archive at work, so I'm not sure how the clue was phrased, whether the answer had to rhyme with the English word glass or with its French or German counterpart.

I think it was ambiguous, but that may be because I was focused on the glasses which are dead ringers for a set I got in Germany. So it was the German word that ran through my mind initially.

1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

I think it was ambiguous, but that may be because I was focused on the glasses which are dead ringers for a set I got in Germany. So it was the German word that ran through my mind initially.

Hey, if it gave you the right answer, then whatever works.  :-)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

Re: the "what is rocket science?" clue -- I thought they were going for the clue-within-a-clue by using Kevin Durant, but he doesn't play for the Rockets.

I knew the category had science in it, but I didn't know what they were going for. I think I said common sense.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

From J!Archive:

"A type of glass is named for this white wine making French region near Germany whose name rhymes with "glass"."

So it looks like they wanted it to rhyme with the English word "glass".  Which Alsace does, when pronounced the only way I've ever heard it pronounced: Al-sass.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

FJ-New Orleans (forgot the “foreign” part of the category and only thought of US locations). 

I initially thought of New Orleans (Mardi Gras), but then I saw that they were looking for a foreign location. I don't know how I came to Mecca. (But it wasn't via that train.)

6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Should we discuss Don vs. dawn?....

NOOOOOOOOO!

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't know that I was really aware of the book, but I knew what "A Night to Remember" referred to.  

I hadn't heard of the book either, but I know of the movie.

Re the Alsace clue, I thought we were in the category of first and last letter being the same, so I was very confused.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Pamplona was my guess too!  Now I don't feel quite as stupid. 😊  For some reason, I fixated on Europe and never turned my thoughts to Asia. 

I read the book ages ago, and if I remember correctly, there was a movie, possibly a tv movie made from it.

A movie-movie was made from the book, starring Kenneth Moore, Honor Blackman and a very young David McCallum. Then there was a movie called Titanic with Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyck, a VERY young Robert Wagner (be still my heart) and the incredible Thelma Ritter as Molly Brown.

I wonder why no one will play Trivial Pursuit - Silver Screen with me!

Director "Coppola"??? Needed a BMS.

Abso-bloody-lutely! It could be Kit Coppola!

But I guess it needed a WOMAN director designation for it to be another Coppola.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

Salman Chase was an instaget.  Don't know how all 3 of them missed that.  Then again there was one I couldn't think of that I knew, but just couldn't hink of it.  And I said Aztec instead of Inca.  Never can keep those two straight.

• Love 2

I, uh, really, uh, am, uh, not, uh, going, uh, to, uh, be, uh, able, uh, to, uh, deal, uh, with, uh, the, uh, new, uh, champ.

Uh!!

Bachelor, asteroids, and Regan were my only gets tonight.

I also said mackerel for FJ, lol. Not that it would have helped, but I figured they were looking for a last name.

Looks like another winning week of FJ for me.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

So, what was the verdict?

He cut off approximately two thirds diagonally, leaving part/most of the ear lobe. There were drawings done by the attending doctor, shown at the end of the hour.

47 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Salman Chase was an instaget.  Don't know how all 3 of them missed that.

Make that four. Never heard of the guy. Salmon Rushdie, Alex Salmon, yes. Salmon Chase, no. I did like the attempt with Mackerel though. That was worth extra-credit points.

I should get extra credit for knowing the TS as soon as I read Jade and Tanner in the clue, I didn't need the (blank) in Paradise. The Bachelor threads are the most fun in all of PTV for so many reasons (all wrong reasons, of course).

I did not like the middle guy because of my personal hatred of facial hair, especially his OTTB, but wasn't going to say anything about it here. Then he called a magazine a "zine" during his interview and that made him dead to me. (TM Mr. Wonderful)

Maytag being from Iowa was an easy peasy DD/TS for me. What about you guys? We've discussed Maytag Blue Cheese here in the past. And the fact that I don't live all that far from Maytag's original Iowa headquarters in Newton. And the fact it put almost the entire population of Newton on the unemployment list when it shut down.

@Browncoat, surely you knew penguins have knees, because I did!

I also got asteroid, retina and Regan the Exorcist girl. Sort of makes up for me tanking FJ. Sorta.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I should get extra credit for knowing the TS as soon as I read Jade and Tanner in the clue, I didn't need the (blank) in Paradise. The Bachelor threads are the most fun in all of PTV for so many reasons (all wrong reasons, of course).

LOL. I definitely needed the Blank in Paradise.  The names meant nothing to me.

7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Maytag being from Iowa was an easy peasy DD/TS for me. What about you guys? We've discussed Maytag Blue Cheese here in the past.

Nope.  In that category all I got were the obvious Gatorade Florida, and Goodyear Ohio, because I used to live in OH.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew FJ tonight chiefly because of my brother: he loved the trivia fact that Salmon P. Chase is on the $10,000 bill. Chase Bank is also named for him. (Salmon P., not my brother!)

It was an instaget for me - it was the only name I could remember from those days that was in any way fish-related, and I remembered him being on the money.  I didn't know about Chase Bank, thanks for that tidbit!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

It was an instaget for me - it was the only name I could remember from those days that was in any way fish-related, and I remembered him being on the money.  I didn't know about Chase Bank, thanks for that tidbit!

The offices that he held didn't fit the clue, but I almost said Hamilton Fish. Then I thought it was unlikely that they would use the word "fishy" in the clue--too close to the actual name. It would do for "Stupid Answers" (insert Forrest Gump voice here), though.

• LOL 2

Absolutely no clue for FJ tonight.  I never would have even considered the name to be a first name -- I tried to think of a fishy last name and couldn't come up with anything.  Boo, hiss. 

I swear I heard middle guy say "orangutang" instead of "orangutan" -- the first is incorrect, and he should have been dinged for it.  Not that it mattered in the end, but still.

Hey, we got a "genre"!  Drink!

I knew Iowa for Maytag!  I also got asteroid and retina.  And yes, @saber5055, I knew penguins have knees!  🙂

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I swear I heard middle guy say "orangutang" instead of "orangutan"

He did, and it irked me as it did you for him to get away with it.

Casper was a surprising TS, and retina was close to stunning.  I can't decide if I'm surprised FJ was a TS; I'm leaning towards no.

The One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest DD was ridiculously easy for DJ.  So was the entire body language category.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew FJ tonight chiefly because of my brother: he loved the trivia fact that Salmon P. Chase is on the $10,000 bill. Chase Bank is also named for him. (Salmon P., not my brother!)

Interesting info! I don't think I've heard of Salmon P Chase. And I think John should have put down "Who is Holy Mackerel."

41 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

The offices that he held didn't fit the clue, but I almost said Hamilton Fish. Then I thought it was unlikely that they would use the word "fishy" in the clue--too close to the actual name. 

I swear, the first thing that came to mind was Abe Vigoda. 

35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I swear I heard middle guy say "orangutang" instead of "orangutan" -- the first is incorrect, and he should have been dinged for it. 

Yeah, I thought he said that, too, but I wasn't surprised they didn't rule against him. So many people say it that way. But as he was picking the next clue, Alex said something which I couldn't hear, and I wondered if he was offering the correct pronunciation.

I've never watched Bachelor in Paradise and know nothing about it. [Blank] in Paradise led me directly to Death in Paradise.

All I got was the DD of asteroids, as well as retina and Regan.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I swear, the first thing that came to mind was Abe Vigoda. 

I've never watched Bachelor in Paradise and know nothing about it. [Blank] in Paradise led me directly to Death in Paradise.

All I got was the DD of asteroids, as well as retina and Regan.

Abe Vigoda - funny!  I've also never watched any of the Bachelor shows, so no clue, and I also thought Death in Paradise, but I didn't think that would be correct.  I knew Salmon P. Chase today, and also got Mecca on Monday.

For TS the last two days, I knew Psychology, Sinking of the Titanic (I've read the book and seen the movie), and of course, owl and pussycat with the Runcible spoon!  Also Minnesota for Pillsbury and Retina.  For DD I got Iowa (Maytag, and I've also been to the Amana colonies), and asteroids.

• Love 2

I said Pike for FJ. At least there was someone in history named Pike. He got a peak named after him. 

Yeah, that body language category wasn't worthy of Double Jeopardy. More like Toddler Jeopardy.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 3