Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

21 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

My father was Polish. He came to an assembly when I was in junior high. When my name was said, he told me they said it wrong. I was embarrassed because that was how I was saying it. I changed after that.

My Polish grandparents Anglicized the pronunciation of our last name. I knew the Polish pronunciation, but it sounds like "up chuck" to American ears, so I always stuck with the Anglicized version. When my mom & I went on a cruise, the Filipino crew member in charge of our lifeboat during drills pronounced our name the Polish way. We were highly amused.

I thought Steve was trying to get to Weimaraner, too, since "wiener dog" was deemed unacceptable. Working at a vet's, I'm baffled by all the different spellings people come up with for dachshund...like they can't believe there are two H's divided by an S.

57 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Working at a vet's, I'm baffled by all the different spellings people come up with for dachshund...like they can't believe there are two H's divided by an S.

Dash-hound.

13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And when Alex was waiting for him to say the correct name, he said weiner-mahwer. I think in trying to come up with some real name, Weimaraner entered his mind.

I thought "Weiner-mahwer" might be the name of some obscure German dog breed that will be accepted into AKC in the near future. Too many "new" breeds are being accepted for registry already, so many that when I watch a group, I have to ask, "WTH is THAT?" and most of my life-time dog-show friends don't know either.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I wouldn't have, because it's just a nickname and not the actual name of the dog, but I did find it amusing.

I'm just nicer than some people.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm just nicer than some people.

I'm the hard-ass who'd make the contestants come up with 1st names too, lol.  Of course, that would've burned me with Lindsay Wagner, so . . .

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I said whisky - think they'd have accepted that? 

Probably a "be more specific" prompt, since the specific type of whisky is what makes it a Rob Roy as opposed to a Manhattan.

• Love 1

My maiden name is Anglicized from the original Dutch spelling & pronunciation. When my aunt was doing genealogy research she found that the first of our ancestors to come to America Anglicized his last name differently and more similarly to the original Dutch spelling/pronunciation, but somewhere along the line another branch of the family tree (mine) changed it again. Granted this was in the 17th century, but there is another faction of my paternal family who have a completely different last name. There is a little hamlet in NY with the 'other' name. Having Dutch ancestors who made their way south via NY & MN made me a rarity growing up - a native of SE LA whose last name is pronounced exactly how it is spelled!

• Love 4

For several years, I worked at a Waldenbooks just down the road from Chicago’s Little Warsaw neighborhood (Belmont and Central, FYI), so even though I am personally of Irish and Swedish heritage, I got really good at pronouncing Polish last names. It’s just a matter of breaking it down into syllables. 

• Love 2

I look Italian and my last name looks Italian but it's origin is Polish. My college professors from Italy constantly pronounced my name Italian-style, it was fun 🙂

I like the champ (5 days, doesn't that trigger the ToC?) but he definitely likes to switch categories.

I got FJ right.  I was feeling pretty confident about the category since I used to work at a travel agency, but that came down more to geography and history.

I said Maverick instead of Ice Man.  Ooops.  Oh well.

Wiener dogs trigger 2 fun memories for me.

One is the ad for some phone service where we see 100 dachshunds running adorably in a field and the cowboy batted guy on the phone says "I ordered 100 oxen."

The other was watching a bouncy, happy little dachshund trying to get a bigger dog to play with him, running back and forth in a little park in Vienna. Every trip to Wien should include a wiener dog.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I said Maverick instead of Ice Man. 

You need to play J6.

This was an exciting day for me. "Cities on the Mississippi" was a category written by people who must have been sitting around my kitchen table, I've lived along the Mississippi my entire life. I was in Davenport last week, and the TS of Moline amazed me by being a clue since that is where I was born and lived for more than 25 years. Side note: It's just across the Mississippi from Davenport. I routinely cross the Mississippi to buy groceries or shop. I know all the towns up and down the river.

For the DD in that category, I would have done an Alex Jacob hand toss and said "Bet it all," and I would have been correct. Even the F6 clue answer ... I've been to that city on the Mississippi more times than I can count. I've sandbagged, water skied, swam (dangerous current, I do not recommend swimming), boated and picnicked on river islands. Thank you, Jeopardy clue writers.

FJ gave me two correct for this week. *knock wood*

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

What in the hell, Steven?  He seemed totally checked out.

I'm so disappointed. 

On the other hand......

it's a Wednesday miracle. lol 

Seriously, I got FJ and Steven had nothing?

<annoyed>

• Love 5

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I was surprised Steven couldn't come up with anything.  I guess he was tired?

I rewound the DVR twice and still heard the new champ say "chill" instead of "chisel" in the first round.

I also got serpent's tooth, but though I could picture Val Kilmer in Top Gun, I couldn't come up with Iceman. 

• Love 2

Wow, I'd have been surprised if any of them missed FJ, but for Steven to do so was particularly unexpected.  He just kind of ran out of steam as this game went on.

The Ming clue belonged in the first round.  Of a teen tournament.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The Ming clue belonged in the first round.  Of a teen tournament.

I was thinking KG tournament.

Please make your mind up Alex - is it "scoon", "scon", or "scone"?

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, ABay said:

Wiener dogs trigger 2 fun memories for me.

Wiener dogs fill me with regret that I never went to the wiener dog races when I lived in Houston.

I got zero TSs. I guess there weren't many, though. It was a good, competitive game.

I did get FJ. I flitted about Imelda Marcos and Aung San Suu Kyi (though I couldn't remember her name and just googled it), but then I settled on Indira Gandhi. 

Didn't we recently have a clue about Ming and vases? Maybe I'm confusing it with my daily crossword puzzle.

Edited by peeayebee

Steven seemed to totally check out. I will miss him, but Alex seems ok. So far, anyway. I somehow get the feeling that the longer he sticks around the more annoying he will get. Hope not. Rose played a great game also. 

TS I got were Malcolm & Montreal. FJ was an instaget, and I thought very easy, so I'm surprised Steven missed it.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

TS of Moline amazed me by being a clue since that is where I was born and lived for more than 25 years.

I didn't do as well as you did in the category, but shoutout to both of our birthplaces being responses.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I rewound the DVR twice and still heard the new champ say "chill" instead of "chisel" in the first round.

We heard the same. 

14 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Wiener dogs fill me with regret that I never went to the wiener dog races when I lived in Houston.

I went shortly after I moved here. So much fun & so freaking adorable. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I said Goose, LOL

I didn't say it, but I thought it.

11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I was surprised Steven couldn't come up with anything.  I guess he was tired?

I also got serpent's tooth, but though I could picture Val Kilmer in Top Gun, I couldn't come up with Iceman. 

I heard "chisel."

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

For someone who thinks boxing should be banned, I managed to run the category.  Perhaps the clues were REALLY easy.  I’ll miss Steven.

I know, I got them all but the magazine - and I haven't watched boxing since I was a wee girl watching with her daddy.

The wording of FJ confuzzled me. I got the city, but I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that the airport - not the code - was named after a woman. So I was thinking "Delilah? Nope. Delores? Nope." LOL.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The wording of FJ confuzzled me. I got the city, but I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that the airport - not the code - was named after a woman. So I was thinking "Delilah? Nope. Delores? Nope." LOL.

Me, too...and I used to be a travel agent. You'd think "Delhi" would have popped into my head at some point.

I totally misread the airport FJ clue and thought they wanted the airport, so I confidently said Delhi.  Oh well.

For yesterday's FJ do you think they would have taken Elvis and Aretha, since both are very well known only by their first names?

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I totally misread the airport FJ clue and thought they wanted the airport, so I confidently said Delhi.  Oh well.

For yesterday's FJ do you think they would have taken Elvis and Aretha, since both are very well known only by their first names?

Not to be that guy, but the airport name is actually Indira Gandhi International Airport.  So, you were still wrong:)

I think they probably would have.  Definitely for Elvis, because I've heard them just say Elvis and had it counted correct.  Aretha is a little more shaky.

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

Depends on the phase of the moon. Maybe on a Tuesday if it's dark [Star Trek reference].

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Driad said:

Please say hello to the Piasa Bird for me.

@Driad, you come up with the most interesting links. I've been to Alton many times, but have never heard of the Piasa Bird. But now I know!

13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I didn't do as well as you did in the category, but shoutout to both of our birthplaces being responses.

Crescent City! Interesting everyone knew that's NOLA but no one (including anyone here from what I can tell) knows the headquarters of Deere & Co. is in Moline. (Although Mr. Deere lived in Grand Detour, Illinois when he invented the metal plow. Trivia! He moved to Moline to have access to river transport.) I should get two extra asterisks for that TS.

13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Didn't we recently have a clue about Ming and vases?

Yes. It seems to be common for a few games to go by, then the same subject comes up again as a new clue, just written differently.

13 hours ago, Brookside said:

In American we say skohn, long "o." In Scotland, it's skahn. Then there's the Stone of Scone, said still differently. Skoon, I believe. Apologies for my poor phonetic spellings.

13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Steven seemed to totally check out.

He had to be exhausted if he played five games in one day. I think that's how many are played each day. It's been close to 100 games since we've had a five-time winner, most tap out after three games. Getting to four is amazing, and five is ... well, pretty unheard of lately. Makes me wonder what kind of machine Ken Jennings was. Looking forward to rooting for Steven in the ToC.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I got all the Mississippi River clues.  I grew up in Illinois and now live in Wisconsin.  I have driven the Great River Road many times.  I also had final jeopardy and to my husband's amazement ran the tool category too.

On 4/3/2019 at 9:10 AM, Clanstarling said:

My childhood last name was of British origin, but my brother gave it a French pronunciation (which, to be fair, allowed more people to pronounce it). So when I called his work (he lived across the country) because there was an emergency, the person who answered was suspicious of me since I said the last name the correct way. (that's when I found out he gave it the French spin)

I live in South Carolina, birthplace of Stephen Colbert, who, as we know, uses a French pronunciation of his last name (Kohl-behr.)  In 2013, his sister Elizabeth was the Democratic nominee in a special election for the SC First Congressional District. She, and I'm guessing the rest of the Colbert family, uses the British pronunciation (Kohl-burt.) Elizabeth, is that you? 😉

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think they probably would have.  Definitely for Elvis, because I've heard them just say Elvis and had it counted correct.  Aretha is a little more shaky.

The former Declan MacManus would definitely ask for a BMS.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

You can't ask for a BMS on an FJ, though. It's either right or wrong, so in that case, this Declan McManus person would count it wrong, I guess.

(edited)
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

Probably a "be more specific" prompt, since the specific type of whisky is what makes it a Rob Roy as opposed to a Manhattan.

I guess my point was that, in Scotland, whisky is Scotch and nothing else.  But I'd be okay with bms.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This was an exciting day for me. "Cities on the Mississippi" was a category written by people who must have been sitting around my kitchen table, I've lived along the Mississippi my entire life. I was in Davenport last week, and the TS of Moline amazed me by being a clue since that is where I was born and lived for more than 25 years. Side note: It's just across the Mississippi from Davenport. I routinely cross the Mississippi to buy groceries or shop. I know all the towns up and down the river.

I got Hannibal and New Orleans, but the other three cities meant nothing to me.  Well, I knew St. Paul was the capital of Minnesota, but not that it was on the Mississippi.

I got FJ by thinking DEL in Asia had to be New Delhi, and the only woman I could think of who would've been important enough to name an airport after in India was Indira Gandhi.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Brookside said:

For the place in Scotland, it's pronounced scoon.

I got Malcolm and serpent's tooth.

Yep, lol.

Edited by proserpina65
45 minutes ago, Katy M said:

You can't ask for a BMS on an FJ, though. It's either right or wrong, so in that case, this Declan McManus person would count it wrong, I guess.

Just fyi, this "Declan MacManus person" is Elvis Costello.

34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, I knew St. Paul was the capital of Minnesota, but not that it was on the Mississippi.

You would if you remembered the Interstate 35W bridge collapse that killed 13 and injured 145 when the bridge over the Mississippi at Minneapolis/St. Paul broke apart during rush hour in 2007. It was quite the news story, as well an episode of "I Survived" among other true-life tv shows.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Of course now I can't remember which, but I feel like there've been a few FJ (and DD) recently where I was really confused by the wording about what they were even looking for. Not that particular clue for me, but it's been happening to me more than usual. I don't know if the writing has been a little weird or if I'm just off my game.

• Love 1

The new champ is really off-putting but I can’t explain why.  I will say that he was apparently attempting to be gracious, and the lady in the middle was not having it.  She was a little rude, TBH.

I do feel if you add extra shit to your FJ answer like “happy birthday Jack” you should not be credited with a correct answer, because your extraneous nonsense isn’t part of the right response, now is it?

• Love 9

James is definitely in the category of champions who I can admire the skills of but who I can't quite root for.  Sorry about the sentence structure - brain foggy from a respiratory bug.

On the upside, Comerica Park was a clue on Opening Day - Go Tigers!!

• Love 7
(edited)

I also hate James. lol  

Spoiler

Unfortunately, I think he might be the next great champ the promos I've been seeing are talking about. Look in the media thread if you want more info.

In other news......

it's a Thursday miracle. FJ was an instaget. If I get it right tomorrow, hell will have officially frozen over. And yes, I know I probably just jinxed myself.

Edited by Athena
Adjusted spoiler tag
(edited)

I like the new champ!  He doesn't go nuts on the buzzer, doesn't shift from side to side, doesn't interupt Alex, and he smiles!  It's almost like he's read these boards and figured out what drives people crazy.  He is an aggressive player but that's how you win the game.  I also noticed he hesitated a couple of times, towards the end of the game, before he rang in and I think it was to give Anna a chance to ring in.  I've never seen a player not answer anything on the first round of Jeopardy.  I think the other two were just too fast on the buzzer.  I felt sorry for her.  

I'm also pretty proud of myself for getting the correct Final Jeopardy answers two days in a row.  That's a record for me!  Now I have to call all of my family so I can brag about that.

Edited by shlbycindyk
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, rubaco said:

I felt so bad for Anna. Imagine getting all the way to making an appearance on the show, and only being able to ring in twice. 

And one of those ring ins was so she could tell us the Blitzkrieg was when Germany invaded Britain.

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Five minutes in and I hate James.

One-half hour later and I'm loving James. I was all about his bold "Bet it all" DD. Reminded me of Alex Jacob, one of my all-time favs. Then again, both are/were professional gamblers.

I got the TS of Karmann Ghia. One of my best friends in college drove one. I've always liked Volkswagens.

Didn't pay a lot of attention to other TSs. And FJ has been remarkably easy if I can answer them. I'd be kicking ass in the FJ Contest if I weren't banned from playing by the snot-rag of a contest mod.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I don't like board hopping because it affects my game, but I don't really have a problem with James.  But, yes, anyone who amasses over $40,000 in one game is probably going to be around a while.  He clearly has a broad base of knowledge.

I started to say England, but then switched to Poland.  Is Eng-Poland a right answer, LOL.  It is for home play anyway.

I feel stupid that I said the Dead Sea for FJ.  But, amazingly, since geography is not my thing, I got all the highest capital clues right.  I clearly forgot the category and laser-focused on the Jordan.  Oh, well, it happens.

• Love 2

I also like the new champ...great player, and he beat that former "precocious little kid" whatshisname from yesterday. Anna waa fine, but can't say I feel sorry for her...she was bested, plain and simple 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rubaco said:

I felt so bad for Anna. Imagine getting all the way to making an appearance on the show, and only being able to ring in twice.

I was embarrassed for her, but I was listening more than watching -- was she frequently trying to ring in and beaten to the buzzer, or did she largely stand there seeming not to know?  Because one of her two ring-ins was with a wrong answer to a clue I'd expect most contestants to get right, so I'm wondering if she was just out-buzzed or plain out-matched.

Snake was a surprising TS; I’d never heard of a stiletto snake, but reptile and fangs in the clue pointed to it clearly enough I can’t believe no one guessed it.

There were quite a few clues in DJ I thought had only first round value.

On a random note prompted by the ballpark cuisine category, Nutella eggrolls sound awful.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

The new champ is really off-putting but I can’t explain why.  I will say that he was apparently attempting to be gracious, and the lady in the middle was not having it.  She was a little rude, TBH.

When did that happen?

I don't have a problem with James. I guess I'm missing what's bugging a lot of you. I was impressed by his range of knowledge.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I feel stupid that I said the Dead Sea for FJ.  But, amazingly, since geography is not my thing, I got all the highest capital clues right.  I clearly forgot the category and laser-focused on the Jordan.

I also said the Dead Sea. Was the category U.S. bodies of water? Then I forgot that, too.

I got snake, but basically a guess, and Karman Ghia (sp?).

I was surprised when Anna said Germany attacked Britain in 1939. 

• Love 1