Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, crashdown said:

but dammit! These things are important! 

"But dammit Jim, it's a Transporter, not a Teleporter!"

Update from the Star Trek episode I'm watching now: Spock just got beamed up to the Enterprise and Uhura said to Kirk: "The Transporter Room reported Spock is now on board."

Now, activate Saber's Cloaking Device.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I'm torn on the transporter/teleporter debate.  I said transporter, so I'm covered on my own scoring.  But, I guess it depends on what the exact wording of the clue was. I just looked up the definition of teleportation (yep, I'm that weird) and it's 

A hypothetical method of transportation in which matter is converted into minute particles or into energy at one point and re-created in original form at another.

And, that's pretty much what I recall happening on the show.  But, if they specified *name* or *called* then yes, it had to be transporter.  Maybe just take away the incorrect answer but not award a correct answer.

• Love 1

That was an amazing game! And remember, he got a little screwed by getting that first DD when he could only bet $1000! I love hearing audible gasps from the audience in reaction to his bets.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Wouldn't you, if you waited your whole life to be on Jeopardy! only to be playing against someone like James?

Hopefully I would hide it a little better!  But yeah...

Just now, SHD said:

That was an amazing game! And remember, he got a little screwed by getting that first DD when he could only bet $1000! I love hearing audible gasps from the audience in reaction to his bets.

From the go big or go home motto....

• Love 2
1 minute ago, catrice2 said:

Hopefully I would hide it a little better!  But yeah...

I’d hope so too, but I know I’d be devastated. Does anyone remember that woman who was on within the past couple of years who had a visible breakdown during the second round when she kept falling behind? You could see the anxiety attack coming on.

Just now, SHD said:

I’d hope so too, but I know I’d be devastated. Does anyone remember that woman who was on within the past couple of years who had a visible breakdown during the second round when she kept falling behind? You could see the anxiety attack coming on.

Nope, but hat would probably be me, too.  

• Love 1

Talk about the continuum of this show, there is a Forbes article online called: "Quantum Teleportation Versus Transporters." Sam Beckett vs. Captain Kirk! I'm guessing today's clue writers found the same article.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Today's the first day I've been able to check in here since James became champion, so imagine my surprise that no one else thinks he looks like a serial killer.  The shifty eyes and weird, tight smile?!  Let's just say he better hope none of his relatives have submitted DNA to any of those genealogy sites lately....

(Still, kudos to him for being so well rounded!)

Do you know a lot of serial killers?  I hope none of his relatives read what you've said about him. 

I like James and I don't care who knows it!  He strikes me as being a little shy but that's just my opinion.  I'm happy to see a smart player who knows how to work the board, makes gutsy wagers,  and doesn't wave the buzzer around like they're trying to land an airplane.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, SHD said:

Does anyone remember that woman who was on within the past couple of years who had a visible breakdown during the second round when she kept falling behind?

There was a multi-day champ who had a physical ailment come over her and she failed that day's game, it was like hypoglycemia or something. We all thought she'd get a do over like Ryan the Pyramid Puppy Player, but nothing happened from it. Taping had to be stopped during her episode because of it. Maybe that's who you are thinking of?

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, shlbycindyk said:

Do you know a lot of serial killers?  I hope none of his relatives read what you've said about him. 

If serial killers "looked like serial killers" they probably wouldn't be that successful. Although, Charles Manson definitely had the serial killer look down, so maybe I'm wrong. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I could tell the story of how when I went I went to France, our flight was out of Newark.  So, we decided to take Greyhound instead of driving to the city.  The bus got lost in New York city.  We got the bus station 3 hours after we were supposed to and just barely were able to make our flight.  I mean, what kind of bus driver get lost?  And lost to the tune of 3 hours? That's got to be semi interesting right?

Or, I could tell the story of how I missed the bus while in the bus station and it was the last bus going my way that day. 

Or, how a friend and I got on the wrong bus in Iceland, but nothing really happened on that one. Buses and I don't mix.  If I'm a two time champ, I can have a whole theme going.

Sounds interesting to me!  Going to Iceland sounds pretty cool to me...

• Love 1

Daaaaaamn, that was some impressive freaking game play, there. I’ve never seen anyone wager as high as James on DD before. I mean, when you’ve got 120k in the bank from previous days and you’re already ahead by like 20k, why not? But people usually just...don’t. 

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

If serial killers "looked like serial killers" they probably wouldn't be that successful. Although, Charles Manson definitely had the serial killer look down, so maybe I'm wrong. 

Charlie looked pretty much like a regular hippie-type guy when he and his clan were living on that California ranch. After he got sent to prison and carved the swastika in his forehead, yeah, he sort of went off the rails. 

Ted Bundy looked like the guy you'd want your daughter (or you) to date/marry. Even John Gacy was a normal-looking dude ... when he wasn't wearing his clown outfit. And Jeffrey Dahmer blended in like any college kid. You just didn't want to join him for dinner.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

James won me over when he (almost) ran the Theatre category.  Which I loved, since the first clue was about The Lifespan of a Fact, which was absolutely AMAZING!  I usually root for theatre people--and I've officially put James in that category, at least for myself.  (Don't say he's just a guy who knows a lot--I like him more if he's a theatre buff.)

• Love 2
Just now, saber5055 said:

Charlie looked pretty much like a regular hippie-type guy when he and his clan were living on that California ranch. After he got sent to prison and carved the swastika in his forehead, yeah, he sort of went off the rails. 

Ted Bundy looked like the guy you'd want your daughter (or you) to date/marry. Even John Gacy was a normal-looking dude ... when he wasn't wearing his clown outfit. And Jeffry Dahmer blended in like any college kid. You just didn't want to join him for dinner.

Yeah, that was all kind of my point.  You can't tell a serial killer by his looks.  They probably try hard to not look like serial killers. So, if one looks like one they're not worried about it, and are therefore probably safe.  That's what one of my college friends used to call "Katy logic."  

• LOL 2
12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

There was a multi-day champ who had a physical ailment come over her and she failed that day's game, it was like hypoglycemia or something. We all thought she'd get a do over like Ryan the Pyramid Puppy Player, but nothing happened from it. Taping had to be stopped during her episode because of it. Maybe that's who you are thinking of?

That was the woman who was in The Runaways, wasn’t it? The one I’m thinking of happened before that.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

That was the woman who was in The Runaways, wasn’t it? The one I’m thinking of happened before that.

Oh, yes, you are correct. The Runaways woman is the one I remember failing for a physical reason. I don't always watch, I listen mostly, so I obviously missed the panic-attack person.

I don't see anything wrong with his looks,  And he seems like a really nice guy.  He has won me over a little more every time he's on.  And  picking the high dollar clues first doesn't bother me like it usually does. I'm really impressed with his wagers and his vast knowledge.  And he doesn't come across as smug. Then I would hate him no matter how smart he is.  

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, BryroseA said:

Daaaaaamn, that was some impressive freaking game play, there. I’ve never seen anyone wager as high as James on DD before. I mean, when you’ve got 120k in the bank from previous days and you’re already ahead by like 20k, why not? But people usually just...don’t. 

I wasn't sure Roger Craig's record could be beaten, but James could break his own record tomorrow if he keeps playing like that.  That was the work of a true master. It's only a matter of how many more games James is going to win. Will he beat Ken Jennings with 75 games? 

• Love 4

Count me as another Star Trek fan who think the made the right decision by not giving her teleporter.

I thought FJ was way too easy. 

Impressive total! I guess the ads weren’t lying.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ABay said:

Hang on. They give the guy on the end hemp for hops but won't take teleport for transporter ? I'm sure someone once in one of the billions of Star Trek iterations has used the word teleport. That's what it's often called in British sci-fi (could someone update Blake's7, btw? I have some casting notes).

I know, that drove me nuts in this game!

Though it would not have made one difference, even close to it, in the end. 

I really have no problems with the champion.  Very smart and quick too. 

Don't think he looks like a serial killer.  He is just much more calm than most all other champions that we see.  Not buzzer beating or showing the least bit of stress. 

I don't like him starting at the bottom.  Only complaint. 

33 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I wasn't sure Roger Craig's record could be beaten, but James could break his own record tomorrow if he keeps playing like that.  That was the work of a true master. It's only a matter of how many more games James is going to win. Will he beat Ken Jennings with 75 games? 

It only takes one time to slip up with is "all in " wagers for it to end, so no, I don't see him winning 75 games.

But I could see him winning a million plus easily by the time he is done in this run. 

• Love 3

As I was watching tonight’s game I got a text from my daughter informing me that “BTW the guy on Jeopardy who is currently making a bucket of money was a middle school friend of my husband’s”

Gutsy wagers aside, the champ’s knowledge is impressive. I can see him hanging around for quite a while.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, ABay said:

Hang on. They give the guy on the end hemp for hops

Hemp and hops are two different things, but there are several varieties of craft beer made from hemp. Googling it will give you 29,300,000 results and lots of information on making beer with hemp. So yeah, they gave the guy on the end credit for hemp being used to make beer. Try one next time you are in your local micro brewery.

12 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Don't think he looks like a serial killer.

What, he's not good looking enough?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Wow. What an impressive total. James sure knows a lot of stuff.

3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Why did the woman in the middle look like she wanted to cry?

I missed this. Was it at the very end?

He is by far not the worst, and so far it looks like his clothes fit. 

OK. I'm borrowing this if I have a blind date. "You're by far not the worst, and it looks like your clothes fit."

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Okay, hear me out: today James was incredibly impressive but.. were the clues a bit on the easy side? I got a personal best - I answered all but one in the Jeopardy round (Wobblies). James totally stole my thunder, haha.

2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

...and so far it looks like his clothes fit. 

Ha! Great point.

1 hour ago, SHD said:

Ooh, I love the audible gasps, too.

• Love 6

So he won $110,914, and his daughter was born on November 11, 2014!  

I live in Vegas, and James is going to be on our late local news tonight. 

I was supposed to take the online test at 5 pm and I totally forgot.  I will do it on Thursday instead.  They ask for a photo now.  I wonder why?

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2

I realized today that the reason some champs probably don't both me the way they do others is because I don't bother to listen to the opening or the interviews.  Unless they are mugging or doing something while they are answering a clue it goes over my head....

I tend not to watch the opening or interviews, either; in general, I'm less affected than others here even by what contestants do (beyond their answer/non-answer) during game play, but most of the other stuff I just don't even see.  I have caught a glimpse of James's shout-out gestures, and I'm not particularly down with anything cutesy or, especially, lovey-dovey, so I do roll my eyes -- but I pretty well forget about by the time I've put my eyeballs back in place. 

Tonight was the second game in a row where I came in right before FJ (and the second night in a row it was an instaget; I think that was too easy a clue for FJ) so I didn't get to see James's latest bout of dominance in action, but he's an impressive - and gutsy - player, so I'm curious to see how far he goes.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Ted Bundy looked like the guy you'd want your daughter (or you) to date/marry. Even John Gacy was a normal-looking dude ... when he wasn't wearing his clown outfit. And Jeffrey Dahmer blended in like any college kid. You just didn't want to join him for dinner.

Ok, maybe it is me, but I have never thought Ted Bundy was attractive or that he looked like the boy next door.  I saw pictures of him before I knew who he was and I did not see good looking. Maybe there is something wrong with me, but I don't know that I've ever met anyone that looked trustworthy to me. I'm always confused when people say that. I think everybody is capable of anything, no matter how innocent they may look.   All three that you mentioned looked pretty crazy to me,  but then again I have always been known for my great BS detector and my dad says "crazy knows crazy."  I have a thing about mouths and teeth and all three of them had strange mouths, the shape of them.  I don't have a problem with James.  I'm not trying to date him and he is not taking money out of my pocket, so he's o.k. 

This is the first time I've watched Jeopardy in over 10 years.... and only cause my DVR forced me to. Then I see James Holzhauer which is crazy coincidence cause I saved the episode when he appeared on "The Chase" where he  correctly answered 19 of 23 questions and won $175,000 for his team. Even the Beast said if it were chess, he'd be resigning! There's no way this guy's just a professional sportsbettor..... cause most are dumb as hell and this guy's a genius!

• Love 4

Players rarely bug me. I skip all intros and interviews, and I generally don't notice anyone's looks unless there's a particularly attractive male contestant that day. I don't even care if people board hop if they're quick about it. Failure to clear the board is my one pet peeve.

James is an incredible player and it is a pleasure to watch his games.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I was supposed to take the online test at 5 pm and I totally forgot.  I will do it on Thursday instead.  They ask for a photo now.  I wonder why?

Yeah, I forgot too. And yeah, I was asked for a photo too. I believe that's so they can screen out the serial killers.

• LOL 16
  • Love 3

I keep hoping there's enough time lag between James' streak and our @teebax - correct me if I'm wrong. The memory isn't what it used to be... but FJ was incredibly easy.

I'm enjoying James. He's a bit of a machine.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I keep hoping there's enough time lag between James' streak and our @teebax - correct me if I'm wrong. The memory isn't what it used to be...

She's in the Teacher's Tournament, so it won't matter who they leave off on in regular play.

• Love 3

were the clues a bit on the easy side? I got a personal best - I answered all but one in the Jeopardy round

You took the words out of my mouth...fingers.

I am LOVING James. Holy shit! He bet 25K, I've never seen anyone do that except in FJ.

And he's a reader. He's got to be. I run the book categories [except Children's Lit], and tonight I ran the Short Story category, but James seems to know ALL book categories. I'd love to have him over for dinner. We could talk BOOKS!

The best thing is, he might make a bad guess once (or twice?), but he doesn't ring in if he doesn't know the answer.

Why yes, I'm impressed. Why do you ask?

• Love 8
11 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

(re: James’s teeth, I think he’s got an underbite that contributes to his unusual smile. I can’t hate on someone for their appearance, and I am mostly just fascinated by him at this point!)

Yes, and I think his upper teeth are a little bit prominent, too, so when he smiles the teeth push his upper lip upward, causing him to look slightly like he's baring his teeth.  Exactly like Kiera Knightly and she's a movie star!  Heh.  I think he's cute.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I am LOVING James. Holy shit! He bet 25K, I've never seen anyone do that except in FJ.

According to TheJeopardyFan.com, $25,000 is the most anyone has ever bet on a Daily Double.

I knew (or suspected) that something like this would happen.  There was a promo video running on Facebook all day yesterday saying basically, "Tonight, a Jeopardy record will be broken!"  I figured it had to be the single game total.  But he didn't just break Roger Craig's record, he completely shattered it!  $110,914 in one game?  There are 5-day champs who didn't make that much!

TheJeopardyFan has a nice run-down of records James broke last night.  In addition to the single-game winnings, he also now holds the record for highest total going into four games, and the highest amount of money going into Final Jeopardy.  Assuming he doesn't flame out in the next few days, he's on pace to easily break Austin Rogers's record for total money after six wins.  He is already 8th on the list of all-time money-winners in regular season play (not counting tournaments).

One of these days, those all-in bets on Daily Doubles may bite him in the butt.  Thing is, though, he's so good that he might even be able to recover from losing everything, provided he has enough clues left.  He's very fast on the buzzer and he obviously knows a lot.

And in other, more trivial things, no way should teleporter have been accepted for transporter.  Star Trek has never called it a teleporter.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

Do you know a lot of serial killers? 

Tons of 'em.  Though none as wealthy as James!

I thought the best part of last night was Samir - he seemed as awed by that performance as we all were lol

1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes, and I think his upper teeth are a little bit prominent, too, so when he smiles the teeth push his upper lip upward, causing him to look slightly like he's baring his teeth.  Exactly like Kiera Knightly and she's a movie star!  Heh.  I think he's cute.

From what I could see in some of the profile shots of him, he has a significant underbite - so that when he smiles and is filmed head on, it looks like his teeth are massive, but it's both his upper and lower teeth we see. He does seem self-conscious about it. 

He's impressive, but I'm not fond of him starting at the bottom clues.

Count me in on it's "transporter" not "teleporter." I think the clue referred to Star Trek, but I couldn't swear to it.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, aces said:

Then I see James Holzhauer which is crazy coincidence cause I saved the episode when he appeared on "The Chase" where he  correctly answered 19 of 23 questions and won $175,000 for his team. Even the Beast said if it were chess, he'd be resigning! There's no way this guy's just a professional sportsbettor..... cause most are dumb as hell and this guy's a genius!

I never watched The Chase. Are the questions really hard?

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yeah, I forgot too. And yeah, I was asked for a photo too. I believe that's so they can screen out the serial killers.

The good looking ones?

I put a reminder on my phone to notify me 10 minutes before 5:00. I think posting a photo was optional.

• LOL 1

Unpopular opinion:   I don't enjoy watching a champion absolutely demolish the other people on stage for days on end.  I didn't enjoy Ken Jennings' run for the same reason.  So, yes, I'm hoping James wins a lot of money in a short period of time and moves on so someone else can have a chance.  

I like a little variety in my Jeopardy.  

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I put a reminder on my phone to notify me 10 minutes before 5:00. I think posting a photo was optional.

I could not complete the registration for the online test without posting the photo.  I tried a couple of times and got a popup telling me I had "one more step" in order to finish.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I never watched The Chase. Are the questions really hard?

Cash builder (Opening round)....

1. Who played Maverick in Top Gun... Tom Cruise

2. In figure skating, first Asian to win 1992... Yamaguchi

3. Last month with exactly 30 days... November

4. Known for his hats, what pop singer is known for "I'm Yours" and "I won't give up"... Bruno Mars (Jason Mraz)

5. What beat poets writing was declared.... Ginsberg

6. Ocular tonometry is a pressure test that screens for... Glaucoma

7. Near the  start of the Civil War, first state to secede from the Union... South Carolina

8. In math, exclamation after a number... Factorial

9. Edgar Degas was prominent in what art movement... Impressionism

10. What 80s Kevin Costner movie had the line "If you build it, they will come"... Field of Dreams

11. Adam Samberg's TV comedy is set in 911 precinct... Brooklyn

12. Who was the first Supreme Court Chief Justice... John Jay

13. What Yankees star is nicknamed A-Roid.... Alex Rodriguez

14. Since his death in 2013 whose wife Chaz writes on his movie blog.... Pass (Ebert)

12 correct $60,000 (New Record)

The Chase (2nd round) Offered $30,000, $60,000 or $120,000. Chose $60k.

1. 'Antedeluvian' refers to what biblical event.. The Great Flood

2. Bill Gates paid $30 million for the Leiceter Codex a scientific notebook that once belonged to... Da Vinci

3. What stage of human development comes earliest?..... Blastocyst (Zygote)

4. The Great West Schism refers to... Catholic popes

5. Director Baz Luhrmann used his old high school for the exterior of a NY Mansion in what 2013 film... The Great Gatsby

6. Which ancient city was the site of the world's first advanced sewer system.... Rome

Banked $60,000.

The Final Chase (Last Round)

1. How many events are in the Pentalon... 5

2. What 2008 movie does Liam Neesom search for his kidnapped daughter in Europe... Taken

3. What woman hosted a cooking show called "The French Chef"... Julia Child

4. Hanging church is a famous church in what city... Cairo

5. In 1963 Lydon B Johnson was sworn in as President in what plane... Air Force 1

6. Maria Carey credits her healthy pregnancy to what Chinese needle insertion therapy... Acupressure* - (Acupuncture)

7. The fashion house Hugo Boss in headquartered in what country... Germany

8. What woman wrote the 1939 play the Little Foxes..... Hellman

9. What breed of dog rescues people in the Alps....  St Bernard*

10. Each CSI series uses which band's music for its themes... The Who (James answered correctly but someone else buzzed in first so didn't count)

11. What color is the star in the North Korean flag... Red

12. Kama Sutra was originally written in what ancient language... Sanskript

13. In what 2008 animated feature Jack Black play a high kicking creature named Po... Kung Fu Panda*

14. What textile pattern has rows of slanting lines that resembles a fish skeleton... Herringbone

15. After being a page what was the second stage of training for a medieval knight.... Squire

16 What artist is known for his painting of a  swimming pool titled A Bigger Splash... Hockney

17. In 1687, What Englishman published his discoveries in the Principia... Isaac Newton*

18. What Russian coin is worth 1/100 of a Ruble... Kopek

19. What does the computer term USB stand for... Universal Serial Bus

20 What woman had a successful solo album after singing lead for the Fugees... Lauren Hill

21. A spunky red-headed orphan is the subject of what 1945 book by Astrid Lindgren.... Pipi Longstocking

22. The country of Lesotho is an enclave within what other country... South Africa*

23. How many electrons are in a hydrogen atom... One.

24. Krishna is an incarnation of the god Vishnu in what religion.... Hinduism

25. What top gallery in Florence was designed by Giorgio Vasari... Uffizi

* answered by a teammate

Won $175,000 (split 3 ways)

Edited by aces
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Phebemarie said:

Unpopular opinion:   I don't enjoy watching a champion absolutely demolish the other people on stage for days on end.  I didn't enjoy Ken Jennings' run for the same reason.  So, yes, I'm hoping James wins a lot of money in a short period of time and moves on so someone else can have a chance.  

I agree.  It's absolutely nothing personal.  But, I don't like it when anyone wins more than 15 times.  It's too much, IMO.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, aces said:

13. What Yankees star is nicknamed A-Roid.... Alex Rodriguez

LOL! Hee-larious. I expect he might have been called that a few times though.

Just now, Katy M said:

I don't like it when anyone wins more than 15 times. 

Well, 11 to go before you don't like it I guess.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Bliss said:

I keep hoping there's enough time lag between James' streak and our @teebax

Since @teebax is in the Teachers Tournament, she won't compete against him if he is still there. But she might get to meet him, which would be cool, if he is still there. That's approximately 20 games away (without looking at a calendar).

• Love 1
On 4/8/2019 at 7:54 PM, GreekGeek said:

I figured it was something like that. Still seemed pretty random and more confusing than helpful, though.

Interesting, the grandpa bit of the clue was the only way I got to the right answer!

ETA: Sorry, I see from later comments this has totally been covered! I am almost always a day or two behind on watching so I read warily and rarely comment...I was trying something new, jumping to a reply without reading everything. Oops.

Edited by snarktini
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I totally agree.  I don't like runaways in any sort of game or sport.  It just gets boring!

• Love 2