Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'm still impressed with James' knowledge, but I don't like the cutesy DD wagers.

If by cutesy DD wagers you mean his using 9 8 and 12, that is his wedding date: September 8, 2012. I think it's sweet that those numbers are special to him. It's so different from MY experience with the opposite sex. I have some "special numbers" that could catch hell on fire.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

James is ok. His knowledge is great, but I was prepared to hate him for starting at the bottom of the categories and then the 'all the chips' DD wager complete with douchey hand gesture. He gives me the impression of being a really fake person. I might want the self-described precocious child back. 

Thursdays TS were snake & Karmann Gia; FJ was an instaget as soon as I saw Jordan. I felt bad for Anna but her answer of Britain was pretty lame.

Loved Satish & was rooting for him. The only TS I got Friday was Normandy, but surprisingly FJ was an instaget. I normally zone out when the clue tells me to remove x letters to get another related word, but Berlin/Bern came to mind before Alex finished reading the clue. 

I eat Nutella with a spoon, and even after seeing that graphic my love will not abate. I harbor no delusions that it's good for me. 

On 4/4/2019 at 9:34 PM, Bastet said:

On a random note prompted by the ballpark cuisine category, Nutella eggrolls sound awful.

Sounds like food of the gods to me!  

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I might not dislike him so much if he didn’t go straight for the highest value clue.  As I’ve said many many times, I get why they do it, but I HATE it when they do.

ditto

12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

OH, I thought he looked familiar - but I thought it was more a stock photo in a frame way.

lol, but yes. Good looking in a generic way. 

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Today I fell on a board and impaled my hand on a nail. The nail didn't jump up and bite me. Same as if I got my hand stuck on that snake's tooth. It's not a bite. (The nail story is true.)

Yikes! I'm glad you get a tetanus shot & I hope it's feeling better. 

15 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It ALWAYS bugs me when the show videos or photos when I've already come up with the correct answer.

I hate that too. I was wondering why no one rang in immediately once the with the Loretta Lynn was read. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I misunderstood FJ. I thought I was trying to get the name of a country not another state capital.  But, I still doubt I would have gotten it, because when I said Berlin in my head going to the capitals, I was like Berl, that's nothing.  If you want me to remove letters, it has to be at the beginning or the end, because I am just not that smart.  

I spent most of my youth in (West) Germany. Apparently my brain software has not been updated since before the reunification, because it didn't even occur to me that Berlin was the capital. I stink at those add or subtract letters categories anyway, but this was particularly egregious.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Varnish, Normandy, Charles de Gaulle, tremendous, and Miranda Lambert.  All but the last one surprised me to some extent (varnish the most and tremendous the least).

I had the middle three and FJ almost instantly.

I liked early week champ better than late week champ.

I had several "doublegets" on the ACM category - I knew it with either the picture alone or the clue alone.  And I'm not a country music fan.

• Love 2

Not a Nutella fan; however, my daughter was. Used to eat it right from the jar... and she never gained an ounce. So, being a health-conscious mom, I introduced her to homemade nutstuff. You need a food processor, organic nuts, cocoa, maple syrup, a dash of vanilla... and process the crap out of it. Delicious. Since hazelnuts aren't one of my faves, I use cashews or almonds or pistachios or California walnuts. Or all of them. They're all delicious. I can make them healthier by adding coconut. To each their own!

I was spoiled rotten during several trips to Switzerland while same daughter lived there. She'd take me to a chocolate shop named "Tristan" (loved their samples of each chocolate made... came out with wider hips) and I could buy any combination of chocolate/nut/seed along with any degree of cocoa content. The selections were amazing and so delicious... the thin sheets of delicate chocolate studded with nuts - OMG.

Now, my daughter can have zero hazelnuts in her home as my precious granddaughter is allergic to them (and several other nuts). No more Nutella for her mama. It's a small price to pay. (I know my daughter well... I'll bet mama has stashes of 'stuff' where the kids can't find them... she'll never give up her Swiss chocolate.)

For N fans: try a banana spring roll (Thai type - you heat them up) drizzled with Nutella, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I skip the N and use Swiss chocolate. To die for.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Bliss said:

So, being a health-conscious mom, I introduced her to homemade nutstuff.

Good for you! (No pun intended.) And best of all, no rain forests were destroyed to make dirty palm oil as an additive. Now THAT'S how one should eat. *applause!*

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Good for you! (No pun intended.) And best of all, no rain forests were destroyed to make dirty palm oil as an additive. Now THAT'S how one should eat. *applause!*

LOL... I'll take any good for me's I can get!

Yes, I am food conscious - and do my best to make everything from scratch, avoid glyphosates, gmo food, etc. Now, if only I hadn't perfected making chocolate creme brulee, croissants, and other high calorie goodies! I also know where to buy the best ice cream in the world. (I'm the Canadian who took a cooler in her trunk to Stowe, Vermont, so she could bring home Ben and Jerry's Baileys ice cream - many moons ago, when it wasn't available in Canada. It took a lot of ice to keep it frozen for 8 hours of driving... )

There have been a couple of Canadian restaurants featured on J! recently - one in Montreal, and one in Kitchener... both have been on our news channels as they've been overrun with new business, thanks to J!

• Love 2

My doctor told me I needed to get a tetanus shot, just because she didn't know when I last had one. I looked it up when I got home & called her back to tell her July 2013; I don't need one yet.  I don't recall what happened then - must not have been an incident, just 10 years after my last one.

I think I may have gotten Berlin in time to write it down, but it would've been close.

• Love 1
On 4/4/2019 at 7:59 PM, mojoween said:

The new champ is really off-putting but I can’t explain why.  I will say that he was apparently attempting to be gracious, and the lady in the middle was not having it.  She was a little rude, TBH.

I do feel if you add extra shit to your FJ answer like “happy birthday Jack” you should not be credited with a correct answer, because your extraneous nonsense isn’t part of the right response, now is it?

He's smug.  And the extra words bother me, too.  The blown kiss and heart tapping last night were particularly cringe-worthy. 

And don't get me started on the clue hoping.  Drives me nuts.

• Love 6

upside down board picking bothers me the most. 

Other than that though with the current champ, he is mostly just a smug guy who happens to be very good at the game, can't get on him too much. 

I didn't realize he was making his weird bet amounts based on his anniversary, but when I thought about it, if you are in the lead, it does make it a bit tougher on the other to come up with the amount to bet in FJ to overtake you.  Not a lot harder, but somewhat. 

I have even been studying European capitals recently and still didn't get this one.  I was trying to think of 6 letter capitals.  Vienna and Vnna?  Warsaw and Wars?  Wsaw?  London and L-don?  I think its one you either think of it or you don't. 

Those videos they show most of the time are not because they are needed as part of the clue but because those categories are ads within the game poorly disguised as clues. 

• Love 4

I had to laugh at the way Alex said something along the lines of "you continue to mention someone in your response". It sounded like discouragement but this guy doesn't seem like the take-a-hint type.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If by cutesy DD wagers you mean his using 9 8 and 12, that is his wedding date: September 8, 2012. I think it's sweet that those numbers are special to him.

I did not know that. I thought they were lucky gambling numbers. Boo hiss to me.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I have even been studying European capitals recently and still didn't get this one.  I was trying to think of 6 letter capitals.  Vienna and Vnna?  Warsaw and Wars?  Wsaw?  London and L-don?  I think its one you either think of it or you don't.  

Of course, the four-letter Rome is capitol of the six-letter Romule, where the Romulans come from. Just remove the u and l.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

According to an article I read he's using a method called, "The Forrest Bounce".

Throughout the game, Hozhauer employed the Forrest Bounce, a strategy in which contestants constantly switch between categories rather than running down a single list of questions from top to bottom. The technique earns its name from Chuck Forrest, who first used it in Season 2 of Jeopardy!, then later went on to win the 1986 Tournament of Champions.

Another article says his FJ bet of $3268 the other day was in honor of his nephew Jack who's birthday is 3/26/08.  I think that was sweet and makes me like him even more. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Of course, the four-letter Rome is capitol of the six-letter Romule, where the Romulans come from. Just remove the u and l.

But wasn't removing the two letters supposed to give you the capital of another country - in this case, Berlin and Bern? If I'd managed to get to Berlin, I might have gotten Bern - but probably not. I am terrible at those kinds of clues.

On a different note - a friend of mine, recently widowed, was talking about how now she's down to watching Jeopardy (something she associates with old ladies. I think). I gave her a rousing pep talk  about how Jeopardy was great, and I'd been watching it every night since I was young, and there was this very active forum with people who love Jeopardy .... and I may have been a little insistent and scared her straight instead of convincing her it was okay. LOL. Now she says she'll think of it as a great thing. Maybe she's placating me. 😄

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Ok, I usually do not like to comment on looks, but yes James has a smile that is a little vulpine, but I love people who don't rush out to get surgeries, etc. to change the way they naturally look.  He's a little "different," but that's what makes life interesting.

I have been watching Jeopardy a long time and there have been plenty of people that I didn't "connect" with, but he is not the worst of the bunch by far.  I probably would not blow kisses, etc, but how many people get the chance to be on national tv and express love and/or appreciation for someone in  lifetime?  So far I have not observed him doing anything rude or mean and there is nothing wrong with being confident.  After watching the recent all stars and recalling several people I didn't "connect" with.....I am appreciating him a little more! 

I have never cared about the skipping around or not starting at the top.  It is not a rule of the game, and if they have broad knowledge they may not need to catch on to the "theme" of the category to do well. 

Sorry for those that don't like him...hopefully for you his reign will be short! 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I was doing the same thing--Lisbon? Madrid? Athens (which probably isn't even Europe)? I think I was just starting to work on London when time ran out. To be fair, even if I had gotten to Germany, I don't think I would have realized it was right, since I think I might have recognized Bern as a city in Switzerland, I don't think I would have known it was the capital (gun to my head, I would have said Zurich or Geneva (both 6 letters, btw) as the capital).

23 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

But wasn't removing the two letters supposed to give you the capital of another country - in this case, Berlin and Bern?

Oh, gah. You are correct. Even my made-up stuff doesn't work.

25 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

a friend of mine, recently widowed, was talking about how now she's down to watching Jeopardy (something she associates with old ladies. I think).

Good for your friend. Jeopardy can keep the brain from atrophying totally. But IMHO, old people are more inclined to watch Wheel than Jeopardy. Okay, so lately I've been watching Wheel too. Which, on second thought, just reinforces what I wrote.

1 hour ago, shlbycindyk said:

According to an article I read he's using a method called, "The Forrest Bounce".

The Forrest Bounce is when a player skips around the board from category to category and amount to amount with no rhyme nor reason. James has consistently been starting at the bottom and working up, leaving some categories complete until players have to go to them.

20 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Sorry for those that don't like him...hopefully for you his reign will be short! 

For some reason *cough* I think he will be around for a while.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I probably would not blow kisses, etc, but how many people get the chance to be on national tv and express love and/or appreciation for someone in  lifetime? 

Yes. Remember @teebax is going to do the double guns during her intro, then blow smoke off of them, all in tribute to us here.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Oh, and Chicago area people? Cubs opener at 1 pm on Channel 7 Monday, so Jeopardy won't be on at its normal time (probably broadcast at 1, 2, 3, whatever, a.m. Check listings).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, illdoc said:

I was doing the same thing--Lisbon? Madrid? Athens (which probably isn't even Europe)? 

Athens is in Europe (capital of Greece)

The blowing kisses & chest thumps are too OTT for my tastes, but maybe James is an emotional & loving type of guy who wants to acknowledge his loved ones on their special day on a national platform. I am willing to concede that it is sweet, but if he hangs around long enough that he starts to throw kisses to his mail carrier's neighbor's cousin, my agreeableness is off the table. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Going back a couple days, Anna the vet probably was so stunned that she got through first on the buzzer that she forgot the finer points of the Blitzkrieg clue so Britain just fell out of her mouth. I'm thinking she was so used to buzzing in for every clue and never being first that she was gobsmacked for being chosen to answer. So, I forgive her incorrect answer.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
(edited)

I got SO lucky on FJ. During the break, I said to my BF I'm terrible at capitals, I can never even remember for sure if Germany is Berlin...but as I talked out loud I realized Berlin would make sense post-reunification and that will make it easy to remember. So my mind was totally primed when it came up and it was an instaget for me. 

I'm not sure what to think of James. He's a little odd but I respect his knowledge and confidence. I'd be the one waiting too long to buzz in and wagering too low on DDs because I don't trust my memory, so I respect bold game-play. Hey, at least he's not a buzzer masher!

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 4
(edited)

Two more notes:

That Monet-Punny title was really, really tortured. It took awhile for me to even get what they were trying to do. I usually like how the writers play with themed titles but this was a dud. 

Question about the "the type of musical work is being performed here" clue. Is a Quintet considered a "type of work"? Isn't it a type of performer or group? I could even see type of performance. But a musical work? Q brought up quintet immediately but I hesitated because I couldn't reconcile that. Then again, I'm not a musician...

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, snarktini said:

Question about the "the type of musical work is being performed here" clue. Is a Quintet considered a "type of work"? Isn't it a type of performer or group? I could even see type of performance. But a musical work? Q brought up quintet immediately but I hesitated because I couldn't reconcile that. Then again, I'm not a musician...

Yes, the word quintet (or quartet, which is much more common) refers to both an ensemble of players, and a piece written for such an ensemble.  In classical music, these pieces will commonly have "quintet" in their title.

See, for example, Mozart's Quintet for Piano and Winds in E-flat Major, or Schubert's String Quintet in C Major.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:56 PM, Toothbrush said:

I eat Nutella with a spoon, and even after seeing that graphic my love will not abate. I harbor no delusions that it's good for me. 

Me too.  We know it's not health food.  Plus, the discussion here actually made me go out and buy some.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Trey said:

When did we become Primetimer? And what is Primetimer

To question 1: I'm thinking within the last 24 hours. As to question 2: Popping over to look at the main page (primetimer.com), it seems to me to be an "entertainment news" type thing. However, when you click "forums" (upper right) from that main page, you do get to here with the same "forums.previously.tv" url. Whether it will eventually become "forum.primetimer" remains to be seen. So, if you only visited the forums and not the main "previously.tv" site, you won't notice any difference.

• Love 2

There's a pinned post re. the switch to Primetimer at the top of the forum pages:

Previously.TV has teamed up with TV Tattle and some other familiar faces to form Primetimer. What's this mean for the forums? Beyond the new header and a move to the primetimer.com domain later this week, nothing! Same great forums, new name. Thanks in advance for your patience while we work out any kinks along the way. Onward!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Matthew seemed like a intelligent and good guy, but James is just too quick and very knowledgeable. I know looks don't matter, but something about his grin has a vaguely menacing air. Can't figure it out...the teeth, or the lips, or just his practiced poker face. Something.

• Love 2

I said Little Rascals for FJ, but I didn't really think that was right.  And lo and behold, it was not.  If I had said "What isn't the Little Rascals?" Would that coutn as right?  Or a group that's never been in my kitchen? 

I knew as soon as I saw the category that I wasn't likely to get it right, though, so I wasn't disappointed.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, illdoc said:

To question 1: I'm thinking within the last 24 hours. As to question 2: Popping over to look at the main page (primetimer.com), it seems to me to be an "entertainment news" type thing. However, when you click "forums" (upper right) from that main page, you do get to here with the same "forums.previously.tv" url. Whether it will eventually become "forum.primetimer" remains to be seen. So, if you only visited the forums and not the main "previously.tv" site, you won't notice any difference.

I notice a difference!
The actual posts in the forums only take up a thin section in the middle of my screen instead of using the whole page - almost as if it is formatted for a cell phone or something. Lots and lots of scrolling for me.

• Love 4

I knew Munchkins - I remember reading about Jerry Maren's death last year.

What I don't remember reading about was Mario Cuomo's death!  When the referred to him as "this late governor," I said, wait, what??  Mario Cuomo's dead?  When'd that happen?!  New Years Day 2015, apparently, shortly after Andrew Cuomo's 2nd inauguration.

Totally missed it.  Did his death get lost in the shuffle of other news?  Like Ken Berry's passing getting missed because George H.W. Bush's death hours earlier grabbed all the headlines!

Wait, what??  Ken Berry died?!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Arkay said:

Matthew seemed like a intelligent and good guy, but James is just too quick and very knowledgeable. I know looks don't matter, but something about his grin has a vaguely menacing air. Can't figure it out...the teeth, or the lips, or just his practiced poker face. Something.

It was James's gutsy DD wager that put the game out of reach for the others. One of these days that strategy may backfire.

One clue puzzled me a bit: What was the point of mentioning "your grandpa" in the Kublai Khan clue?

• Love 1

James is growing on me.  He applauded for Matthew's DD win and interacted with the other contestants well at the end.  He may never be my most favorite contestant but he is knowledgeable and gutsy.

I enjoyed the Hotel and Theater categories and got FJ mainly from knowing what a golden year 1939 was for movies and Wizard of Oz has always been a favorite.  I am now retiring to my corner to quietly sing "We represent the Lollipop Guild".

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

One clue puzzled me a bit: What was the point of mentioning "your grandpa" in the Kublai Khan clue?

HE's Genghis Khan's grandson.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I said Little Rascals for FJ, but I didn't really think that was right.  And lo and behold, it was not.  

If it makes you feel better, I initially said Little Rascals, changed it to Keystone Kops (WAY too early) and then focused on 1939 and came up with the right answer.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

It was James's gutsy DD wager that put the game out of reach for the others. One of these days that strategy may backfire.

I suspect either that will backfire or he’ll run into an opponent who gets lucky hitting the DDs and is also a gutsy bettor.

I only got home in time to see FJ, and it was an instaget because I recognized his name.  I'm trying to decide whether I'd have reasoned my way to it had I not, because there were so many great movies in 1939, but I think honing in on "group" would have done the trick in time.

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

The actual posts in the forums only take up a thin section in the middle of my screen instead of using the whole page - almost as if it is formatted for a cell phone or something. Lots and lots of scrolling for me.

Scroll down to Theme at the bottom of the page and see if you got switched to a different one with the switch; there was a post in the Bugs, Questions, and Suggestions forum saying if your layout is different, check your theme selection.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

I notice a difference!

Duh! I didn't even notice until you pointed it out. 

I did get FJ. The year 1939 immediately led me to The Wizard of Oz, and then I suddenly remembered the last of the Munchkins dying. However, I wasn't sure if he was the oldest of the Munchkins or of the entire cast. I decided on Munchkins.

BTW, Munchkin is a funny word when you type it a few times.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2