Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I totally agree.  I don't like runaways in any sort of game or sport.  It just gets boring!

I don't mind the occasional blowout.  Especially if the team or individuals have played before and are basically even matched, but one is just having a really great night.  But, on Jeopardy, when you have someone that is basically unbeatable, it's just sad for the contestants who might have had a shot against pretty much anybody else.

• Love 3

I'm not enjoying the champ. The starting at the bottom and the wage amounts and the stupid messages on FJ and the creepy grins bug the hell out of me. Every time he hits a Daily Double, I yell an annoyed "shit!" at the tv. 

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Or not. There are two who do not win every day on Jeopardy.

Yes, but they usually "don't win."  They aren't usually steamrolled in a clearly uneven match.  It would be like pitting your local high school team against The Patriots, or something.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I could not complete the registration for the online test without posting the photo.  I tried a couple of times and got a popup telling me I had "one more step" in order to finish.

Hmm. Maybe they just didn't WANT my photo. 😞

• LOL 3

My first comment here in Jeopardy but boy am I impressed by James! I have watched Jeopardy from the very first(yes, I am old but the game never grows old!). I even scheduled my college classes so that I could watch it at the student union at lunch. So over the years, I have seen many great champions but I don't think I can remember someone who has such a wide range of knowledge. I loved Ken Jennings and I enjoyed his run but I think he was exhausted at the end. I don't know if James will have anywhere near that long a reign since he bets so much but I will enjoy it while it lasts. I really don't mind the beginning the answers at the end because I always thought that was the way to go...get lots of money so you have lots to bet! BUT James bets so much, it makes it a chilling bet. When he does lose, he will have plenty of money so I am guessing he won't mind plus he has done what he wanted to do...be the biggest daily winner and I think that record will last a long, long time!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, aces said:

ash builder (Opening round)....

1. Who played Maverick in Top Gun... Tom Cruise

2. In figure skating, first Asian to win 1992... Yamaguchi

3. Last

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Edited by Brookside
On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, TaraS1 said:

Today's the first day I've been able to check in here since James became champion, so imagine my surprise that no one else thinks he looks like a serial killer.  The shifty eyes and weird, tight smile?!  Let's just say he better hope none of his relatives have submitted DNA to any of those genealogy sites lately....

(Still, kudos to him for being so well rounded!)

He reminds of the actor who plays the title character on Lucifer - is that close enough? lol

17 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Why did the woman in the middle look like she wanted to cry?

I'd have wanted to cry if I ended up in the same game as James.

18 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm torn on the transporter/teleporter debate.  I said transporter, so I'm covered on my own scoring.  But, I guess it depends on what the exact wording of the clue was. I just looked up the definition of teleportation (yep, I'm that weird) and it's 

A hypothetical method of transportation in which matter is converted into minute particles or into energy at one point and re-created in original form at another.

And, that's pretty much what I recall happening on the show.  But, if they specified *name* or *called* then yes, it had to be transporter.  Maybe just take away the incorrect answer but not award a correct answer.

I'm with Saber5055 - it's a transporter on Star Trek, and since the clue referenced Star Trek, teleporter was dead wrong.

18 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Hopefully I would hide it a little better!  But yeah...

I probably would've burst into tears.

18 hours ago, Katy M said:

If serial killers "looked like serial killers" they probably wouldn't be that successful. Although, Charles Manson definitely had the serial killer look down, so maybe I'm wrong. 

That's definitely part of why Ted Bundy got away with it for so long.  He looked like a nice middle-class boy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

No problem.

I was so blown away by how good he was I had to save his episode on my DVR. I knew it would come in handy someday.

😁

• Love 1
17 hours ago, aces said:

There's no way this guy's just a professional sportsbettor..... cause most are dumb as hell and this guy's a genius!

Not that every smart person has to be making a contribution to society, but him being a professional gambler feels like a waste of his intellect. He doesn't have to be a brain surgeon, but I'll bet (pun intended) that he could do very well on Wall Street. 

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, Kathira said:

Not that every smart person has to be making a contribution to society, but him being a professional gambler feels like a waste of his intellect. He doesn't have to be a brain surgeon, but I'll bet (pun intended) that he could do very well on Wall Street. 

I consider myself a sports bettor (not a pro) but I'm certainly nowhere near the intellect he is. I would love to know how his intelligence helps him gain an edge in sports betting, if at all. Most successful bettors I know aren't very book smart but street smart. I wonder if he makes his money arbing instead of betting sides. Maybe he'll write a book on it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

James went to my alma mater, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (so did a million other people).  I was way  BHT. 

Ditto and ditto.  I am now rooting for James to shatter more records.

• Love 2

It is FAR too early to compare James to Ken Jennings.  The thing about the record Jennings holds is not about how much money he won, or that he has a tremendous breadth of knowledge (which James seems to have a good depth, but it's only been 4 shows, so that's only 48 categories-Ken Jennings with 75 games played, 74 won, played in 900 regular game categories)--it's the endurance and stamina needed to keep competing for so long.  Contestants regularly talk about being exhausted by the afternoon shows--James has not done even 1 single full day of taping.  So we don't know if he's going to slow down or lose his edge toward the end of the day.  Or two days in a row?  It's just far too soon, since Ken's run was about longevity, not just money.  Lots of people win 4 games.  Only 1 has won 74.

• Love 18

Who wants to be compared to Ken Jennings anyway? I hate when people try to compare eras, basketball players, etc.  Technology changes, rules change, so many things change so it is not the same playing field.  Now players have the ability to go back and watch, study, etc. previous games and clues that was not available years ago....the clues may even be easier or harder..who knows?  He won't be another Ken, Matt, Roger or anybody else....just James and I hope he continues to entertain.  The object of the game is to win and answer as many clues as you can , as fast as you can. Not to feel sorry for your competitors.  Play to win....that's what my dad always said. 

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Nope, always will remember him from Miranda.  I do not see it, but James does remind me of an actor.  Sooner or later I will remember who....

He kinda reminds me of the guy who played the older brother in The Wonder Years.

• Love 3

The website fivethirtyeight.com had an article a few years ago about how it is unlikely someone will break Ken Jennings' streak.

Short answer: (1) they now allow players to practice the buzzer before the game starts and (2) the pool of potential players is larger, so there are fewer weak players.

(2) is more-or-less why nobody will break Joe Dimaggio's hitting streak.  The best hitters today are as good as Dimaggio, but the weakest pitchers in MLB today are better than the weak pitchers in 1941.  Dimaggio was able to face both good pitchers and bad ones, but now there aren't many bad pitchers.

Jeopardy! now recruits nationwide with an internet-based test, and that means there are few weak players getting on the show.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ken-jenningss-jeopardy-streak-is-safe-for-the-rest-of-time/

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I'm glad Alex cleared up that Manassas/Bull Run clue.  I apparently didn't read that closely either, and all during the commercial break was ranting that the battle(s) there could be called either one.  And I would have to move out of Virginia if I didn't know that.

I had to think about FJ for a second, but got it in plenty of time to write it down.  Basically, it was the only name I could come up with.

• Love 4
Just now, Browncoat said:

I'm glad Alex cleared up that Manassas/Bull Run clue.  I apparently didn't read that closely either, and all during the commercial break was ranting that the battle(s) there could be called either one.  And I would have to move out of Virginia if I didn't know that.

I had to think about FJ for a second, but got it in plenty of time to write it down.  Basically, it was the only name I could come up with.

I actually caught that immediately about the creek.  

I got FJ right two days in a row so that's exciting.

I also got morning glory.

Laura was doing pretty well.  Too bad she missed that DD.  But, I'm sure it wouldn't have changed the outcome because James would have just bet more and still won.  

Once again I did terribly in the geography category.  I just can't picture a map to save my life and can't keep my east and west straight.  I read an article a few years ago about directional dyslexia and I'm convinced I have it.  East, west.  Left, right.  They're all the same to me.

8 minutes ago, Roaster said:

The website fivethirtyeight.com had an article a few years ago about how it is unlikely someone will break Ken Jennings' streak.

Short answer: (1) they now allow players to practice the buzzer before the game starts and (2) the pool of potential players is larger, so there are fewer weak players.

(2) is more-or-less why nobody will break Joe Dimaggio's hitting streak.  The best hitters today are as good as Dimaggio, but the weakest pitchers in MLB today are better than the weak pitchers in 1941.  Dimaggio was able to face both good pitchers and bad ones, but now there aren't many bad pitchers.

Jeopardy! now recruits nationwide with an internet-based test, and that means there are few weak players getting on the show.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ken-jenningss-jeopardy-streak-is-safe-for-the-rest-of-time/

I don't know about that.  He's been blowing the contestants out of the water fairly easily.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• Love 1

I was really rooting for Laura's DD wager to pay off, so that at least the game wouldn't be a runaway, but when she missed the question that was it for her and Jeff.

Oh well--I came up with FJ instantly and knew the TS of Argonauts.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Ditto. I was like, “How the hell should I know!? I don’t have a clue! Oh, whatever - the Romanovs.”

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I don't like to rank on players, but Laura's nasal-whine voice and turning the last syllable of a word into two (or three) upspeak syllables made me glad she went home.

That was lucky James didn't have more than $1,000 to bet on that first DD. There but for the grace of god ... and ... *knock wood*

I did not appreciate Trebek telling Jeff he "trails badly" after the Jeopardy round. Geezy pete, Trebek, the guy knows that. So go ahead and make him feel more like crap. It's not that hard to say something positive, but I guess for Trebek it is.

I said nacre for mother of pearl. Turns out they are the same thing.

I got the TS of Argonauts but I thought the clue was confusing and poorly written. That's happening a lot lately.

I also got Bull Run. So woo hoo for me I guess.

For FJ I came up with Tsar Nicholas and Anastasia but couldn't muster the last name. So no FJ point for me today.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

To me he looks like a young Simon Cowell. 

His suggestion to prepare for Jeopardy by reading nonfiction from the kids section of the library is genius, and I may try it myself.

FJ not an instaget, but arrived pretty quickly. Subtract, get to 1918, end of WWI, Russian Revolution is going on, important family, must be Tsar Nicholas II, what was their last name, oh yeah Romanov.

I got Bull Run and argonaut, and was shocked that James missed Bill of Rights

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 2

I was happy I got the FJ, I had read the book "Nicholas&Alexandra" and have always been fascinated by their story & the fact that supposedly their daughter, Anastasia lived thru the massacre & ended up in Paris.

• Love 3

I still can't stand James.

He smiles like the majority of 6-8 year olds I know, that haven't yet learned how to smile more naturally for pictures.

I did get FJ tonight. Good for me!

I should be 3 for 3, but James annoys me so much, I just gave up on Monday and Tuesday. Bad for me!

7 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Every time he hits a Daily Double, I yell an annoyed "shit!" at the tv. 

Same here! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I read an article a few years ago about directional dyslexia and I'm convinced I have it.  East, west.  Left, right.  They're all the same to me.

Remind me to drive if we are ever going somewhere together. You: "But I turned left at the light! Or was it right? Which way DID I turn? Anyone? Bueller?" We need to tape a GPS to your wrist.

• LOL 1
44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I just can't picture a map to save my life and can't keep my east and west straight.  I read an article a few years ago about directional dyslexia and I'm convinced I have it.  East, west.  Left, right.  They're all the same to me.

The way I remember which way West and East go is the initials spell "we".  Don't know if that helps, but I've used it for decades.  For right and left, I have a scar on one hand that I always look at to remind me which is which.  Does this make me sad?

• Love 1

As much as I appreciate (& envy!) James' wide breadth of knowledge, the runaways are already getting boring after only 4 games. Even when he missed the first DD I had no doubt whatsoever that the game would end up a runaway. 

I got the missed DDs of Bill of Rights & conch, and also got Morning Glory & Argonauts. FJ was an instaget, because I remember the family being canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church. 

Laura's voice = nails on a chalkboard to my ears. 

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

Nope, always will remember him from Miranda.  I do not see it, but James does remind me of an actor.  Sooner or later I will remember who....

Dr. Toothbrush said a young Val Kilmer around the eyes. I agree with @Abstract re: Simon Cowell. 

43 minutes ago, Katy M said:

East, west.  Left, right.  They're all the same to me.

My sister also. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

Remind me to drive if we are ever going somewhere together. You: "But I turned left at the light! Or was it right? Which way DID I turn? Anyone? Bueller?" We need to tape a GPS to your wrist.

My type of directions are: "turn left at the McDonald's" or 'go one street past the library & turn right" Considering I grew up in NOLA where west bank of the Mississippi River is actually the Northern part of the city (or is it southern? I always forget lol), there's no way N S E W will ever make sense to me. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I know if I have to turn right, you flip the directional up, left is down, look at the arrow.  I know it's sad.  

I've been to a couple of foreign countries and my dad will ask what side of the road they drive on.  He gets pretty mad when I have to preface the answer by asking which side we drive on.  I'm always on the right (or correct side) of the road. I'm not driving into people.  

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

I think he reminds me of Carmine on Laverne & Shirley.  But, I could be way off. It's been a while.

41 minutes ago, Abstract said:

FJ not an instaget, but arrived pretty quickly. Subtract, get to 1918, end of WWI, Russian Revolution is going on, important family, must be Tsar Nicholas II, what was their last name, oh yeah Romanov.

That's how I worked it out as well.

23 minutes ago, Brookside said:

For right and left, I have a scar on one hand that I always look at to remind me which is which.

When I'm going somewhere with the GF, I usually drive, and she will give me directions like "At this light, turn your way..."

• Love 2

I just took the online test. Ya'll are lucky you won't be seeing me on tv any time soon. Or any time not soon. At least not on Jeopardy! There's still the local and national news ...

16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think he reminds me of Carmine on Laverne & Shirley. 

This made me laugh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I just took the online test. Ya'll are lucky you won't be seeing me on tv any time soon. Or any time not soon. At least not on Jeopardy! There's still the local and national news ...

This made me laugh.

Close, but there is someone that is more spot on....it is seriously hovering on the edge of my memory....although some of these have also been close or hilarious!

This latest divisive contestant is giving me a weird hope that someone somewhere is writing a thesis on what makes a Jeopardy competitor loved or hated. 

Alex doesn't bother me in the slightest.  Ken Jennings has made me lunge for the remote since the first time he was on.  What does that say about me?  Where do I fall on the Jeopardy spectrum?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I did not appreciate Trebek telling Jeff he "trails badly" after the Jeopardy round. Geezy pete, Trebek, the guy knows that. So go ahead and make him feel more like crap. It's not that hard to say something positive, but I guess for Trebek it is.

This. He doesn’t have to say anything positive or negative. That seemed out of line. And I mean, he was way behind the champ but he wasn’t tens of thousands behind the other contestant.

• Love 6

It is somebody, but right now I can only come up with a combination of the brother from the Wonder Years and Logan from Veronica Mars....but there is still someone else that he reminds me of, a guy that  has been a supporting actor in a lot of things....

My sister thinks it is Alfred Neuman from MAD Magazine...but the mouth is not right...

Tonight I kept track of certain words on Star Trek: The Next Generation, Ship in a Bottle, Season 6, Episode 12.

Times this word is said:

Transporter/Transport: 2,354

Teleporter/Teleport: 0

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, SHD said:

I’ll add to the whole “James reminds me of...” discussion by throwing in a young Seth McFarlane. 

Yeah, I can see that.

744441165_james-holzhauer2.jpg.7dd8a43f6eb4057863a112763f8b8a8e.jpg

2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Who wants to be compared to Ken Jennings anyway?

*Raises hand*

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

For right and left, I have a scar on one hand that I always look at to remind me which is which.  Does this make me sad?

As a good little Catholic child, before I grew up to be a recovering Catholic, I learned to bless myself with my right hand. That's how I remembered left from right.

1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

.....there's no way N S E W will ever make sense to me. 

N(ever) E(at) S(oggy) W(affles).

Growing up at the shore, I learned you go east or south to get there, north or west to get out.

12 minutes ago, SHD said:

I’ll add to the whole “James reminds me of...” discussion by throwing in a young Seth McFarlane. 

Young David Duchovny?

I still can't stand him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Abstract said:

Ha - pretty much a transcript of what went on in my brain.

I ... was shocked that James missed Bill of Rights

That was one of those clues I answered in my "duh" tone (because, yep, I answer aloud), so I, too, was quite surprised he got it wrong.  I suspect the wording sent him down the wrong path, mentally searching for something similar to the Constitution rather than that particular section of the Constitution, but he answered really quickly as always; I don't know, but it was an odd miss for him.

• Love 3