Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, SHD said:

If it makes you feel better, I initially said Little Rascals, changed it to Keystone Kops (WAY too early) and then focused on 1939 and came up with the right answer.

I thought Little Rascals too, but then I wondered if it fit, because they had a series of movies, so it wouldn't be limited to 1939. Never got the right answer.

2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I did get FJ. The year 1939 immediately led me to The Wizard of Oz.

I also considered that it might have something to do with Gone with the Wind based on the year.

(edited)

I am really enjoying James! Finally someone who takes risks and wants to actually maximize his winnings! Starting at the bottom is smart, you build up a large amount quickly so if you hit the DD you have more to wager. 

I hate when people are so timid with their wagering. 

$133,000 in just three shows, that’s amazing. He’s averaging over $44,000 per show! I hope he’s around for a while. 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I wonder if they would have said I was correct with my answer of "the Lollipop kids"...I'm pretty sure that was the specific group of Munchkins that Jerry was a part of. 

Lollipop Guild would probably be an acceptable answer instead of "munchkins".

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I figured it was something like that. Still seemed pretty random and more confusing than helpful, though.

Actually that helped me a lot. I think I might have answered Genghis instead without that.

• Love 2

Another big win

It will come crashing down though when he makes a big bet and misses on a DD. 

Do they know when the shows they tape will be aired? And how specifically do they know ahead of time? I wondered about this because of him wishing someone happy birthday. 

He still comes across as a rather smug bastard, but he is very good, have to give him that. 

Anyone else have a problem with perception being accepted in place of perspective?  Bothered me a bit.  Sort of the same thing, but .......just doesn't seem quite right

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Another big win

It will come crashing down though when he makes a big bet and misses on a DD. 

Do they know when the shows they tape will be aired? And how specifically do they know ahead of time? I wondered about this because of him wishing someone happy birthday. 

He still comes across as a rather smug bastard, but he is very good, have to give him that. 

Anyone else have a problem with perception being accepted in place of perspective?  Bothered me a bit.  Sort of the same thing, but .......just doesn't seem quite right

They do know because sometimes there are categories specific to the date it's airing. 

He probably wont' care when it comes crashing down because by that time he'll have quite a bit of money.

I don't remember the exact clue for perspective, but they're both from the same latin root, so I imagine the clue was broad enough that they both fit.  They accepted immediately which means they were probably anticipating that answer as possible and had already researched it.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Actually that helped me a lot. I think I might have answered Genghis instead without that.

I believe that's precisely why the "his grandfather" bit was there, to narrow it down and let the contestants know they were after the grandson.

As to the air dates, Johnny Gilbert reads a "bumper" before each episode, which gives the episode number, the date of recording, and the date it will air.  You don't see that on TV, but you hear it in the studio, so contestants certainly know what day their episode(s) will be broadcast.  They actually ask you not to add any personal messages like that to your FJ response, but there's really no way they can stop you if  you're determined to do it.

James is a very strong player.  I suspect he'll be around for awhile.  I have no strong opinion about him personally (I usually don't), but I like watching players who are good at the game.  And he certainly is that.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

They actually ask you not to add any personal messages like that to your FJ response, but there's really no way they can stop you if  you're determined to do it.

They can't do anything if you get the question wrong, but if you get the question right, they could rule it wrong due to the extraneous information.  If they wanted to and put that in the rules, of course. I suppose even on wrong answers they could deny you the second or third place prize.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, SHD said:

If it makes you feel better, I initially said Little Rascals, changed it to Keystone Kops (WAY too early) and then focused on 1939 and came up with the right answer.

I said Little Rascals too - and never came up with the Munchkins - even though I played on in a school play (not a role I relished, I was already self-conscious about my height, or rather, lack thereof)

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I said Little Rascals too - and never came up with the Munchkins - even though I played on in a school play (not a role I relished, I was already self-conscious about my height, or rather, lack thereof)

I played one in the school play, also.  Also short.  Typecasting, LOL.  I had the best costume, though.  The munchkins were supposed to wear striped skirts, which I guess means there were no male munchkins. I think the boys without actual parts played flying monkeys. anyway, my mom made me a skirt and she had an old hoop skirt that she put under it so mine was all puffy.  I have the best mom ever.

• Love 6

Today's the first day I've been able to check in here since James became champion, so imagine my surprise that no one else thinks he looks like a serial killer.  The shifty eyes and weird, tight smile?!  Let's just say he better hope none of his relatives have submitted DNA to any of those genealogy sites lately....

(Still, kudos to him for being so well rounded!)

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

They can't do anything if you get the question wrong, but if you get the question right, they could rule it wrong due to the extraneous information.  If they wanted to and put that in the rules, of course. I suppose even on wrong answers they could deny you the second or third place prize.

They could, I suppose, but I suspect that would play very badly with the public.  I can just imagine the news stories:  "This guy should have won $50,000 on Jeopardy!  Instead he went home with nothing, and all because he said happy birthday to his sweet old grandma!  Why does Jeopardy! hate grandmothers?"

It's one thing to discourage it.  It's another to actually try to punish someone for doing it.  They've probably decided that's a battle they don't really want to fight.

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

They could, I suppose, but I suspect that would play very badly with the public.  I can just imagine the news stories:  "This guy should have won $50,000 on Jeopardy!  Instead he went home with nothing, and all because he said happy birthday to his sweet old grandma!  Why does Jeopardy! hate grandmothers?"

It's one thing to discourage it.  It's another to actually try to punish someone for doing it.  They've probably decided that's a battle they don't really want to fight.

I'm sure it is.  I was just saying that if they cared that much, yes, there is a way to curb it.  I think they could probably have the technology to hide anything on the board that is not the answer.  I think they can and do read the answers before they are revealed to us, so surely there's a way to wipe out extraneous info at the bottom.  Again, if they really cared.

35 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Doing it now after so many years of simply discouraging it might not go over well, but if they'd wanted to prevent it from the start it could've been a rule for decades. I don't find it so draconian. On Wheel Of Fortune if you say anything that isn't part of the puzzle, you're wrong. Writing extra stuff in the FJ answer area falls into the same logical bucket for me. The rule wouldn't be something like "don't write personal messages". It'd be "only write your answer(question) and your wager. All text will be evaluated as part of the clue response" or something. Then if the correct response is not "The Grapes of Wrath Hi Grandma", you're wrong.

It's also possible they don't bother putting it in the rules because most people don't do it after receiving the informal request not to, so it's a small enough issue adding it to the rules feels unnecessary. If he goes on a super long run though and does it every time, I wonder if it might become worth it if they really don't want that.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

They do know because sometimes there are categories specific to the date it's airing. 

He probably wont' care when it comes crashing down because by that time he'll have quite a bit of money.

I don't remember the exact clue for perspective, but they're both from the same latin root, so I imagine the clue was broad enough that they both fit.  They accepted immediately which means they were probably anticipating that answer as possible and had already researched it.

It was one of the clues in the visual category with pictures, asking about perspective in art or along those things. 

I can never tell with those clarifications if they it accept right away since that is how they show it or if they edit it down to make it look that way for TV

James immediately picking all the high-value clues is driving me bonkers. I hate board jumping, but even more, it's no fun ending a round with low-money clues. Especially DJ, having the game sputter to a close with a bunch of $200 clues is anti-climactic. He has enough cash. He can leave now. 

• Love 15

James is impressive, even if I could do without his starting at the bottom of categories, kisses & chest thumps, and all-in DD hand gesture (although I appreciate the bets themselves). I'm getting the feeling that he is wishing people happy birthdays as a random shoutout, not because it is their birthday. Except for my twins, my dad, hubby, & 2 aunts, and 2 cousins, no one in my family has birthdays that close together. Not saying it's not possible, just a feeling. 

I didn't understand Maryanne's story; was her friend stepping out on her fiancé ? 

True Crime Books - a Cliff Clavin category for me! The only TS I got was extra point, and FJ took a sec but I got it in time. Dr. Toothbrush guessed The Little Rascals.

15 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Wait, what??  Ken Berry died?!

My reaction exactly! RIP Ken Berry

14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

It was James's gutsy DD wager that put the game out of reach for the others. One of these days that strategy may backfire.

If speculation is true (not a spoiler because I have no idea one way or another), he will supposedly be around for a while. 

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Another munchkin-player here, in a community theatre production. Also short - if I stretch I'm 5'2". My 13-year old niece has been taller than me for a year, and my 13-year old son will be there soon. Probably by the end of the school year.

31 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

James immediately picking all the high-value clues is driving me bonkers. I hate board jumping, but even more, it's no fun ending a round with low-money clues. Especially DJ, having the game sputter to a close with a bunch of $200 clues is anti-climactic. He has enough cash. He can leave now. 

That's what I hate too. It's boring to end the game with Toddler Jeopardy clues. 

• Love 3

I knew it was Munchkins. And now have this stuck in my head: As Coroner I must aver I've thoroughly examined her, and she's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

All text will be evaluated as part of the clue response" or something. Then if the correct response is not "The Grapes of Wrath Hi Grandma", you're wrong.

I would read that book.

1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

James immediately picking all the high-value clues is driving me bonkers.

I'm not sure why this doesn't bother me. Maybe because then he usually methodically works his way up. His strategy must be to amass a large amount early so that he can take advantage of a DD if he hits it relatively early in the game. Of course it would suck if the first $1000 clue he picked in the first round was the DD. That's sure not to happen if you start with top clues first.

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

I knew Munchkins - I remember reading about Jerry Maren's death last year.

I remembered reading about his death too, AFTER I settled on The Little Rascals and stopped thinking further. 1939 should have told me it was a Munchkin, not a Little Rascal. The answer reveal was a "DUH" moment.

16 hours ago, secnarf said:

The actual posts in the forums only take up a thin section in the middle of my screen instead of using the whole page - almost as if it is formatted for a cell phone or something. Lots and lots of scrolling for me.

22 hours ago, illdoc said:

So, if you only visited the forums and not the main "previously.tv" site, you won't notice any difference.

There's a big PRIMETIMER banner at the top of my forum website page. But no ads on the side right now, so posts go clear across my rather large computer monitor. I'm fine with that. Plus it's still PTV.

16 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Wait, what??  Ken Berry died?!

LOL! Although his death is not funny. But we did discuss Mr. Berry here some pages back, when I noted that he went to high school with my (much) older big sister, she had a crush on him. She took me to get his autographed photo when he came back to town for a meet and greet ... at Sears, of all places. Somewhere I have his autographed F Troop photo. (Maybe) Sears shoe department is also where, that same day, the salesman told me to "ask your mother" about shoes I wanted, which made my sister SO mad. It's one of my favorite memories.

14 hours ago, SHD said:

I suspect either that will backfire or he’ll run into an opponent who gets lucky hitting the DDs and is also a gutsy bettor.

There should be a tracker somewhere that tracks what people wager on DDs. I swear, $2,000 is the norm. I love a gutsy wager ... when it pays off, of course, and it has been for James. Of course, one has to have the knowledge to back up those wagers, which he does, so I'm good with it. And I like runaway games, I'm the person who does not like stress. Although I don't care if James or anyone else wins lately, I don't have any horse in the race. Not until the Teachers Tourney, then I'll care.

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

If they are going to do that, then make them stop letting players do mimes, dancing, hand gestures and other "fun-to-that-person" things during their intros. But the show loves it, how many times have we seen Austin do some mime over and over on the Jeopardy website, he's become a GIF. Plus this isn't College Bowl, the show is suppose to appeal to families at home testing their smarts against people who really are smart. This show loves the flamboyant player, whether its rules do or not. Kit Carson.

1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

I didn't understand Maryanne's story; was her friend stepping out on her fiancé ? 

Same here. I think Maryanne just didn't have the story rehearsed enough since she called the blind date being with her husband instead of future husband, and insinuated her friend was cheating on her man. Which, I guess, maybe she was and Maryanne saved her bacon by going out with the boyfriend/future husband. Hopefully, the friend stayed engaged. Or maybe hopefully she didn't, if she was skipping around. Not that any of it matters!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I remembered reading about his death too, AFTER I settled on The Little Rascals and stopped thinking further. 1939 should have told me it was a Munchkin, not a Little Rascal. The answer reveal was a "DUH" moment.

There's a big PRIMETIMER banner at the top of my forum website page. But no ads on the side right now, so posts go clear across my rather large computer monitor. I'm fine with that. Plus it's still PTV.

LOL! Although his death is not funny. But we did discuss Mr. Berry here some pages back, when I noted that he went to high school with my (much) older big sister, she had a crush on him. She took me to get his autographed photo when he came back to town for a meet and greet ... at Sears, of all places. Somewhere I have his autographed F Troop photo. (Maybe) Sears shoe department is also where, that same day, the salesman told me to "ask your mother" about shoes I wanted, which made my sister SO mad. It's one of my favorite memories.

There should be a tracker somewhere that tracks what people wager on DDs. I swear, $2,000 is the norm. I love a gutsy wager ... when it pays off, of course, and it has been for James. Of course, one has to have the knowledge to back up those wagers, which he does, so I'm good with it. And I like runaway games, I'm the person who does not like stress. Although I don't care if James or anyone else wins lately, I don't have any horse in the race. Not until the Teachers Tourney, then I'll care.

If they are going to do that, then make them stop letting players do mimes, dancing, hand gestures and other "fun-to-that-person" things during their intros. But the show loves it, how many times have we seen Austin do some mime over and over on the Jeopardy website, he's become a GIF. Plus this isn't College Bowl, the show is suppose to appeal to families at home testing their smarts against people who really are smart. This show loves the flamboyant player, whether its rules do or not. Kit Carson.

Same here. I think Maryanne just didn't have the story rehearsed enough since she called the blind date being with her husband instead of future husband, and insinuated her friend was cheating on her man. Which, I guess, maybe she was and Maryanne saved her bacon by going out with the boyfriend/future husband. Hopefully, the friend stayed engaged. Or maybe hopefully she didn't, if she was skipping around. Not that any of it matters!

When the interview was done, I said "wait, that was the most interesting part of the story, I want to know more." 

• Love 2

I haven’t watched since James’ first appearance.  Looking at him today, I see he has an underbite.  I’m a medical librarian who has a bizarre interest in orthognathic surgery....

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

The subject line of one of my emails was "Mnuchin reveals White House lawyers…" I thought it was saying "Munchkins." 😄

Every time I see his name, I think "Munchkin"!

As for the Little Rascals/Our Gang, the films were made from the early 1920s to the 1940s.  And as of January this year, at least 7 of the more than 40 child actors who played in the series are still alive.  The most well-known, of course, being Mickey Gubitosi -- now known as Robert Blake!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Ok, can we agree that James does look a little strange? I hate commenting on looks, but yes, I can see where he might look strange to some people. I actually have a strange fascination with teeth, so I noticed it right away, but there is something more than that. 

He is also extremely good at the game.  I realized today that the reason some champs probably don't both me the way they do others is because I don't bother to listen to the opening or the interviews.  Unless they are mugging or doing something while they are answering a clue it goes over my head....

• Love 1

I caught the tail end of the show. I thought I misread James’s score going into Final Jeopardy. Wow! $72,600!!! Did he get all the Daily Doubles? Then he gets Final Jeopardy and ends with a total $110,914. Simply incredible. It is too bad that he has a problem with the smile thing. I don’t know if it’s a show thing or his everyday life thing?! That said, I’m impressed and I will be setting the DVR to see how far he goes. 

• Love 2

Holy shit, James. That was just bonkers to watch.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more surprised to get a FJ correct than this one, given the category - physics is not my jam - but that seemed like a reallllll easy one.

(re: James’s teeth, I think he’s got an underbite that contributes to his unusual smile. I can’t hate on someone for their appearance, and I am mostly just fascinated by him at this point!)

• Love 8
1 minute ago, hendersonrocks said:

Holy shit, James. That was just bonkers to watch.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more surprised to get a FJ correct than this one, given the category - physics is not my jam - but that seemed like a reallllll easy one.

(re: James’s teeth, I think he’s got an underbite that contributes to his unusual smile. I can’t hate on someone for their appearance, and I am mostly just fascinated by him at this point!)

I know. There have been plenty of creepy, strange, serial killer type people on this show over the years.   He is by far not the worst, and so far it looks like his clothes fit.  I am interested in seeing how far he goes.  He is clearly not in it just for the money as he wagers big. I have never been irritated by one person answering the clues, skipping, etc. because the object of the game is to answer as many clues as possible. I am impressed that he has either memorized so many things or that he has such a broad knowledge base.  I knew he was going to go big in final Jeopardy.  He always looks to shake hand with his competitors, which I also appreciate.  Maybe I will tire of him, but right now I want to see how far he goes and hope he makes 5 days, which has been difficult lately.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I believe you qualify for the ToC if you win over $100K no matter how many games you win. James has knocked Roger Craig off the list of single biggest game winners.  I don’t mind that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Hang on. They give the guy on the end hemp for hops but won't take teleport for transporter ? I'm sure someone once in one of the billions of Star Trek iterations has used the word teleport. That's what it's often called in British sci-fi (could someone update Blake's7, btw? I have some casting notes).

• Love 7

I had to think about FJ for a second (mostly because I wasn't giving the game my full attention, thanks, James), but I did get it fairly easily.

Agreed about teleporter vs. transporter, @ABay -- she should have gotten credit for that.

Seems clear now that that promo was about James and not just about generally being on Jeopardy.  Bummer.  And I say this as someone who adores Ken Jennings, and eagerly watched his run.  Just something about James is offputting to me.

• Love 3

Wow, just Wow!  That was a crazy wager, but he Is a Professional Gambler!  I'm an 'old timer" but I don't remember anybody betting that big....I agree with everyone that he certainly has a broad base of knowledge, is quick on the buzzer without smashing it, he's fond of his family, sooo he seems like a nice guy, but his starting at the bottom of the categories drives me Nuts!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Holy forking shirtballs! At first I thought James only wagered 3,800, not 38,000. That was Austin's old 77,000 one-day record he beat, right? Talk about a quantum leap! (Which I did not get, embarrasingly enough.) I felt sorry for the other contestants. James is a machine.

Edited to say that it was Roger Craig's one-day record, which has stood since 2010. I think it'll be a long time before anyone beat 110,000.

Edited by Kathira

I admire players who have such a breadth of knowledge. He's obviously weird, but aren't we all in our own way? He seems to have studied DD board placement too. I am looking forward to seeing how far he goes.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Litnit said:

I admire players who have such a breadth of knowledge. He's obviously weird, but aren't we all in our own way? He seems to have studied DD board placement too. I am looking forward to seeing how far he goes.

Lord knows I am.  My family think I am weird because I am obsessed with this show. There is a running joke that if I ever make it on it will solidify my strangeness!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I just took the online test.  Man, I suck.  But what really makes me mad is I knew one answer (I knew more than one just in case that came out wrong) but didn't think of it in time.  Probably for the best that I didn't pass.  My upper front teeth are crooked, my hair is ugly and I get nervous in front of people.  The internet would eat me alive.

I got FJ today, though.  Whoo-Hoo.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I just took the online test.  Man, I suck.  But what really makes me mad is I knew one answer (I knew more than one just in case that came out wrong) but didn't think of it in time.  Probably for the best that I didn't pass.  My upper front teeth are crooked, my hair is ugly and I get nervous in front of people.  The internet would eat me alive.

I got FJ today, though.  Whoo-Hoo.  

That's cool that you took the test but you would have to have an interesting story to tell Alex 🙂

2 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

That's cool that you took the test but you would have to have an interesting story to tell Alex 🙂

I could tell the story of how when I went I went to France, our flight was out of Newark.  So, we decided to take Greyhound instead of driving to the city.  The bus got lost in New York city.  We got the bus station 3 hours after we were supposed to and just barely were able to make our flight.  I mean, what kind of bus driver get lost?  And lost to the tune of 3 hours? That's got to be semi interesting right?

Or, I could tell the story of how I missed the bus while in the bus station and it was the last bus going my way that day. 

Or, how a friend and I got on the wrong bus in Iceland, but nothing really happened on that one. Buses and I don't mix.  If I'm a two time champ, I can have a whole theme going.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Agreed about teleporter vs. transporter, @ABay -- she should have gotten credit for that.

No. Just . . . no. It's a TRANSPORTER on Star Trek. It's not a teleporter, ever. I'm clearly one step away from being one of those trekkies who starts an online fist fight about dilithium crystals and the warp capability of the nacelles in a Federation star ship, but dammit! These things are important!

• LOL 8
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

No way hose-A. I'm watching Star Trek now (Spock rules) and will be watching Next Gen next (gen) and it's a Transporter. You don't call a Mercedes a Volkwagen, even though they do the same thing. The Enterprise is equipped with a Transporter.

"Beam me up NOW, Scottie!" -- Saber

24 minutes ago, Litnit said:

He's obviously weird, but aren't we all in our own way?

I don't think he is weird in any shape, way or form. I don't get all the gab about his face or his teeth or anything. I think he ROCKS. But I'll be very sad if he beats Ken Jennings' reign. I'm old school. Let him come close, then bring on Watson to send him home.

25 minutes ago, Litnit said:

He seems to have studied DD board placement too.

Yes to this. I admire his play. He's there to play and win, not to make people at home like him. Although I sort of thought he slowed down a bit toward the end today to let the other two catch up a bit so they wouldn't be totally smoked. Event though they were. Smoked, that is.

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

Why did the woman in the middle look like she wanted to cry?

Because she got her ass handed to her. Speaking of asses, she was a dumb one because every time she actually got to choose a clue, she went up to the $200 or $400 one, even though she was getting a thorough thrashing by James. For pete's sake lady, grow some and try to grab some big money while you've got the chance. But no-0ooooh. If she had found a DD she might have bet a big $100. She deserved the ass kicking she got. 

It's so strange that when I see a FJ category that I know I'm going to tank, I don't know beans about physics anything, I end up knowing the answer easy as peasy. Thank you Sam Becket and Al Calavicci.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

Why did the woman in the middle look like she wanted to cry?

Wouldn't you, if you waited your whole life to be on Jeopardy! only to be playing against someone like James?

• Love 21