Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got Speedo and Saint-Saens.

For FJ I only got Moonlight. 

I liked learning that Eggos were originally called Froffles (I think). Obviously Eggos is a better name, but why "egg"? Is it the shape?

• Love 2

Brian thinks Hitler invaded England?  Surely if you nothing else about European WW2 history it's that England wasn't invaded.

It's Yo-Yo Ma, not Jo-Yo.  In my book, Lindsey shouldn't have got that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The only TS I got was inquisitiveness, and I got Moonlight pretty instantly, but don't even remember Spotlight. After referring to IMDB I remember the movie but don't remember it being called Spotlight 🤔

The buzzer mashing is annoying. I'd really like Lindsey if not for that. Was rooting for Brian.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Did anyone else hear the answer of "World" Fair instead of "World's" Fair? Not that what I hear or think I hear makes any difference to the judging on this show.

Yes, and Alex said, "Correct. World's Fair" Oy!

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

424776A8-71B6-45BF-8DD2-4CFFB819794C.thumb.jpeg.c0e02068847057cc28b68559be30863b.jpeg

I saw this on Twitter. Thought that it might amuse some of you. 

Duly amused!

56 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I generally do better with clues about Oscar winners of old rather than films of the past ten years or so,

I'm the same. 

• Love 3

If I'm not mistaken (and if I am, I sure hope MA will correct me), it's this: "In other book-length fiction categories, G.K. Aalborg’s River of Porcupines (Five Star Publishing) won for historical novel;"

That's why I love this forum (and plan to dedicate my next book to it!) You are not mistaken and good for you <drink> for looking it up.

Briefly, River of Porcupines involves the Rocky Mountain fur trade of the early 1800s and the intense rivalry between the powerful Hudson’s Bay Company and the North-West Company complicated by the arrival of Ilona Baptiste, a lovely and much-desired Métis maiden who could become the catalyst for a bloody trade war between the companies. Young trader Garth Cameron and the brutal H.B.C. woods boss Louis Savard both want Ilona, and end up in thrilling, pursuit through the Rocky Mountain wilderness, with Ilona the prize. Terrified of one pursuer, and in danger of falling for the other, the brave young woman is dependent upon her native cunning and survival skills to save herself and the man she comes to love.

Mr. Author writes lyrically while I never met a fragmented sentence I didn't love. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got it! It all goes back to high school, when I had a monster crush on one of the swim-team guys so went to all the swim meets. Good times.

Did anyone else hear the answer of "World" Fair instead of "World's" Fair? Not that what I hear or think I hear makes any difference to the judging on this show.

For FJ I instantly came up with The Artist. Hey, it's nine letters. But then I couldn't come up with what won the next or previous year. So, total fail.

Congrats to Lindsay — great job again, Champ. I just hope she can make it past the Three-Day-Champ Curse tomorrow.

I also got Speedo, and yes, I also heard World Fair.

8 hours ago, Brookside said:

Brian thinks Hitler invaded England?  Surely if you nothing else about European WW2 history it's that England wasn't invaded.

It's Yo-Yo Ma, not Jo-Yo.  In my book, Lindsey shouldn't have got that.

But, they bombed it. I said England, too, only because I really thought that was where those archaeologists were from.  Clearly mistaking them for someone else.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:
  • My late mom once told me of something she read about how to remember the Apollo 11 guys - their first initials are the same as "the first 3 men on earth" - Adam & Abel (Armstrong & Aldrin) got to walk on the moon, while Cain, the killer, (Collins) had to stay behind.  I thought that was extemely stupid, especially comparing Collins to a murderer, but, obviously, I never forgot it.

Whatever works. 😉

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

Why?  I'm pretty sure it's sturdy enough that she's not going to break it.

I got all the geography category wrong.  I hate it when that happens.  But, I'm so geographically challenged, it's not even funny. I'm also movie challenged, so no on FJ.  I keep thinking La La Land.  Clearly I have Faye Dunaway to blame for my loss:).  I did get all the 15 letter words, though, so there is that.

I'm crap at geography too - but I got one (Malaysia) not because I knew it - but because I tossed out the one other country in the general area I could think of.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That's why I won't even have golf on the tv in the background, it puts me instantly to sleep. Really puts a crimp in my productivity.=

The mister watches golf - which he enjoys, but is also a go-to nap time for him. I find it soothing when it's in the background and I'm reading.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I keep up with movies and always watch the Oscars, but I must have been in a comma that year since I'd never heard of Spotlight, I also had to google it. Interestingly, I knew all seven of the other 2016 Best Picture nominees and can tell you plots, actors, directors and so forth for all seven. But Spotlight? Never heard of it. Go figure.

I follow the Oscars (hold a party each year) but I forget who won almost as soon as it's over. I couldn't get La La Land out of my head, even though I was "No, that's the one that DIDN'T win (fun fact, we turned the tv off at my party because none of us liked La La Land, and missed the whole thing...boo hiss). I finally got Moonlight, but too late to think of Spotlight (excellent, but not fun film).

7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Mr. Author writes lyrically while I never met a fragmented sentence I didn't love. 

Compadre!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Was it an Oxford comma, @saber5055?

Oh, that is hilarious in so many way, Your Majesty. You made me LOL and I haven't even had morning coffee yet. I write and edit to AP Style and would never use an Oxford comma. I guess I was in a comma coma when I wrote that sentence. Thanks for the laugh. I'm not even going back to edit it, that sentence is perfect as is now.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

so the only TS I got was Speedo

I didn't realize Speedo had been around any near that long.  Wow.

15 hours ago, secnarf said:

I got Moonlight pretty quickly - pretty much the only best picture winner I can ever remember, thanks to the drama/confusion with it - but I guessed Starlight for the second movie, which I obviously made up. Would never in a million years have come up with Spotlight - I had to google it and then recalled hearing about a movie with that plot, but wouldn't have remembered the title or known that it won best picture.

I got Moonlight right away, too, but had to struggle for Spotlight; I think I would've had time to write it down, but who knows.

15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

But does the clicking have to be so audible? Surely there's a technical way to avoid that. Maybe I haven't paid close enough attention but I really never noticed it before this current champ.

I've noticed it in other games this season, but don't remember before that.  Maybe the mics are more sensitive now?

13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Saint-Saens

I got that one too.  Actually ran the category, and the TV category.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

but I got one (Malaysia) not because I knew it - but because I tossed out the one other country in the general area I could think of.

I knew Malaysia shared a large island with another country, wasn't sure which one, but I took a halfway educated guess, and was surprised to be correct.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

The buzzer mashing is annoying. I'd really like Lindsey if not for that. Was rooting for Brian.

THIS.  SO MUCH THIS.  For the first time ever, I just fast forwarded to the end because her "buzzer beating" was off the charts.  I just couldn't watch.  I liked her at first but, as her winnings increase, she's coming off a bit smug and arrogant.  We'll see.

And, for the record, Oxford comma.. ALWAYS! 😉

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Julia67 said:

I will remove your Oxford commas when you send your stories in for the magazines I edit. I have the power!

Again there was an Arizona vs. Arizona State clue/answer in Monday's game. Is one of the writers from Arizona? I'm hoping for a "Let's Go To Tucson" category when @TEEBAX makes her first appearance.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

But, they bombed it. I said England, too, only because I really thought that was where those archaeologists were from.  Clearly mistaking them for someone else.

Invasion in this context is generally considered as involving armed forces on land.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Julia67 said:

As a recent convert, and a writer in a profession requiring precision, I agree. Though my other writing isn't as precision oriented. So if I ever submitted your publications @saber5055 delete them if you find them. 😊

2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

As a recent convert, and a writer in a profession requiring precision, I agree. Though my other writing isn't as precision oriented. So if I ever submitted your publications @saber5055 delete them if you find them. 😊

Exactly!  I am trained as a professional/technical writer so precision and ease of understanding take precedence!  I'm not a story writer so @saber5055 won't be editing out my beloved Oxford comma any time soon!  😉

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I will remove your Oxford commas when you send your stories in for the magazines I edit. I have the power!

Hoping you save a box of commas for when you need them (or to sell to those of us who use Oxford commas) instead of tossing them out the window as in Pi Alley.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Julia67 said:

Exactly!  I am trained as a professional/technical writer so precision and ease of understanding take precedence!  I'm not a story writer so @saber5055 won't be editing out my beloved Oxford comma any time soon!  😉

And I am trained as a lawyer and I can't tell you the number of times where the lack of an Oxford comma has caused an interpretation by the courts not intended by the legislature.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Julia67 said:

My field as well.

1 hour ago, hendersonrocks said:

Lindsey is a beast (a true compliment). She is straight up destroying the competition day after day; it will be interesting to see if this is a long run or if she’ll get a tough contest sometime soon.

But, isn't tomorrow Day 5 for her? Few contestants this season have beaten the "day 5 curse" (hi, MrAtoZ).

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, RT4 said:

Easy Final Jeopardy.

shocked Lindsey Missed it but it was a runaway so if u going miss fj these are the games to do it in.

I missed it.  Geography again.  Argh.  

On the plus side, I did well in several of the other categories.  How did nobody get Potato Eaters?  

I think I got all the middle children.  Although I was guessing on that Kenny one.  Literally, the only thing I know about South Park is that some kid named Kenny dies a lot.

• Love 2

Looks like it's opposite week in my brain. For the second straight day, I didn't get a single TS, but managed to get FJ correct.

I still don't like the champ and that is not an opposite thought. That poor buzzer.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, illdoc said:

But, isn't tomorrow Day 5 for her? Few contestants this season have beaten the "day 5 curse"

Hey, she beat the Three-Day-Champ Curse to make it to day four. And I say, "Good on you, Lindsay. Long may you reign." With her active buzzer hand, I can see her trying to buzz in, knowing answers to clues she doesn't win the buzz for. Yes, she IS a beast!

For FJ I answered "Morocco" based on "close" and "across the water," but was so sure I was wrong. I just couldn't come up with anything else. So imagine my surprise that I was correct. I did some reading on the war; Spain still owns two cities in Morocco. That's another thing I did not know until today!

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, halfpint ingals said:

Tonight,   I was curious if The Family Guy would be accepted. 

I thought the same thing, then remembered that articles added to titles don't count. Unless there is another show named The Family Guy, then it would be ruled incorrect.

• Love 2

For FJ tonight, I immediately thought Morocco, but questioned that, since it seemed too easy.  In the end I stuck with it, though, so good for me.

I also got Purdue (how did they miss that?), cappuccino, gods, Craig T. Nelson (because I'm Pixar's bitch), and Thebes. 

Lindsey may be a beast, but I'm tired of her and her torture of the buzzer.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I was sorry no one knew Uncle Duke. I'll always remember his taking a hallucinogen before making a speech and seeing the audience turn into sheep. I knew The Emperor Jones also, having published a paper on it. Plus cappuccino, The Potato Eaters, and FJ. No idea about most of those comic strip voices, though, and I thought the vocabulary questions were really tough.

I'm rooting for a long streak for Lindsey, buzzer smashing and all.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I noticed that she starts out OK, but as soon as other contestants start getting answers, she starts to freak out a little and really strangles the signaling device.

1 hour ago, halfpint ingals said:

Last night,  as soon as I saw TV series finales,  I knew M*A*S*H had to be in there somewhere. 

I thought for sure St. Elsewhere would be in there. I know people who are STILL mad about the ending.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Hey, she beat the Three-Day-Champ Cu With her active buzzer hand, I can see her trying to buzz in, knowing answers to clues she doesn't win the buzz for. Yes, she IS a beast!

But you’re assuming she was going to answer correctly. I saw a few times where she was mashing the buzzer, wasn’t first, the person answered wrong, and then she didn’t ring in after. So I assume she had been planning on saying the same incorrect answer.

• Love 6

Man, try as I might I just couldn't remember Uncle Duke or Craig T Nelson. For the latter, all I could come up with was Coach.

I did get Emperor, The Potato Eaters, Garden of the Gods, and Morocco.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got Purdue (how did they miss that?)

I said Ball State. It's named after the Ball Brothers. Ball jars are the best.

1 hour ago, SHD said:

I thought for sure St. Elsewhere would be in there. I know people who are STILL mad about the ending.

Snow globe!

1 hour ago, SHD said:

So I assume she had been planning on saying the same incorrect answer.

I sadly lack your ability to see into or predict the future. My failure at the track betting window is proof of that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I said Ball State. It's named after the Ball Brothers.

Not in the Big 10 though.

Fun fact—- There are 14 schools in the Big 10. There are, however, 10 schools in the Big 12.

Edited by opus
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

I noticed that she starts out OK, but as soon as other contestants start getting answers, she starts to freak out a little and really strangles the signaling device.

I don't see the freaking out. To me, she's calm, VERY smart, and she picks clues quickly, all qualities I like in a J! Champ. The buzzer mashing doesn't bother me. But then, as y'all know, I liked Austin, LOL. As they say in Guys and Dolls: "I'm just a no-goodnick! Alright, already, it's true. So nu. So sue me, sue me, what can you do me? I like Lindsey."

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, halfpint ingals said:

I was curious if The Family Guy would be accepted. 

It was actually a joke on the show once over which is correct - Family Guy or The Family Guy.  

The TSs I got were Uncle Duke and Craig T Nelson. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think I got all the middle children.  Although I was guessing on that Kenny one.  Literally, the only thing I know about South Park is that some kid named Kenny dies a lot.

And that's the only way I got it - Kenny was on my mind because I'd used his name as a joke in another forum just the other day.

10 hours ago, SHD said:

Raises hand.

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I said Ball State. It's named after the Ball Brothers. Ball jars are the best.

It never occurred to me that Ball State was named after anybody. LOL. The mister got it, as he's a Purdue alumn. I chose Butler - the alma mater of both my MIL and a good friend.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

For FJ I answered "Morocco" based on "close" and "across the water," but was so sure I was wrong. I just couldn't come up with anything else. So imagine my surprise that I was correct. I did some reading on the war; Spain still owns two cities in Morocco. That's another thing I did not know until today!

That was pretty much my thinking, too.

I mostly did terrible in the University category.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

For FJ tonight, I immediately thought Morocco, but questioned that, since it seemed too easy.  In the end I stuck with it, though, so good for me.

I also got Purdue (how did they miss that?), cappuccino, gods, Craig T. Nelson (because I'm Pixar's bitch), and Thebes. 

Purdue was a complete and total guess for me.  I was surprised as hell that it was correct.  I find it more inexplicable that no one new cappuccino.  I also got Craig T. Nelson, since that it the only Pixar movie I've ever seen.  Should've gotten Thebes, but just couldn't come up with it in time.  I did know Uncle Duke and the Potato Eaters.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

And I am trained as a lawyer and I can't tell you the number of times where the lack of an Oxford comma has caused an interpretation by the courts not intended by the legislature.

See here, for example: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2018/02/09/oxford-comma-lawsuit-settlement/

Always use the Oxford comma if you don't want to lose 5 million bucks!

Edited to add:  BTW, I work at Ball State, so thanks for the shout-outs, everybody!

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

BTW, I work at Ball State, so thanks for the shout-outs, everybody!

I knew that and almost added a "Hi to @MrAtoz" to my post, then decided not to, obviously. But you got a loud mental shout out from Saber. 

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I am fully pro-Oxford comma.  Used properly, it does make a sentence clearer and easier to understand.

I learned about Oxford commas from Vampire Weekend and Stephen Colbert. Sad.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I was surprised by Trebek  telling ... was it Lindsey? that the answer of "what is a deer" was "a tough one," this when the clue contained "fallow" and another kind of deer in it. Can't remember the details, I just made a note of it since I found the clue/answer insanely simple. But then animal categories are my strength, opera and Shakespeare, not so much.

• Love 3

But they did get HIMYM in the category of Most INFURIATING Show Finales. I'm still mad about that one too (and utterly hated the St Elsewhere end. I loved that show)

• Love 7
23 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

And you have made my point exactly!  It changes the meaning--too often to be discarded!

• Love 1