Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Starting out the week in my usual way by getting FJ wrong! I said August Wilson. As soon as Alex mentioned comedy, I knew the answer. I blame Daylight Saving Time for the brain fog.

I'm also ticked that I missed Pluto, because I was only half paying attention. Pluto is and always will be a planet. I curse Pluto's demotion!

<shakes angry fist>

I did get Book Club, Underwood, and lymph.

Anyone else start listing "ll" animals when the category was revealed? No? Alrighty then!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm glad they saved a part of the Norman Lear category -- I knew they'd clear the board if they left those for last.  However, I admit I had no idea he was still alive.

I hope that doesn't mean he'll be a victim of The Jeopardy Curse. Made me nervous to see him have a whole category.

When I saw the FJ category, my first thought was all the posters here will be all superior with such a Toddle Level category. So, Good For You guys. *drink* Well, the ones who got it correct anyway.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But I couldn't come up with Underwood devilled ham.  I could picture that devil on the label, but just couldn't see the word.

I could draw a detailed picture of the deviled ham container, the can has a white paper covering with a red devil and lettering on it. I'd just have to leave the space where "Underwood" goes blank. I might even have a can of that in the far back of one of my cupboards, purchased years ago.

I'm starting to say answers out loud instead of writing them down. It's more satisfying to beat the players, given I don't have to buzz in.

1 minute ago, lb60 said:

Anyone else start listing "ll" animals when the category was revealed? No? Alrighty then! 

Oh, I did, and that would have been my first choice category. But where was the llama? Maybe it's on J6. I haven't played that yet.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said Hormel because all I could think of was Spam.  Blech.

I too said Hormel. I could picture the packaging, but not that darned named. Or damned name, I guess.

21 minutes ago, lb60 said:

I immediately thought of llama, but it didn't come up. 😞

I got Pluto, Luther Burbank, and Maude. 

For FJ I was trying to remember who died in 2018, and came up with Sam Shepherd, but then I said, "He wasn't 91!"

• Love 4

I am super happy that I got FJ. Playwrights is far from my favorite category, and when I saw the clue, I said “well, it would be helpful if I had any idea who died in 2018” (I don’t, obviously.)

But I decided to try to think it through... he was 91, so his popular work was probably in the 60s or 70s... It ended up with me saying to my husband “I have no everloving idea - Neil Simon?” Imagine my surprise. 

I’d like to thank the monkeys flipping through the card catalog in my brain for making connections that baffle my conscious mind. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

knew they'd clear the board if they left those for last.  However, I admit I had no idea he was still alive.

He’s a good follow on Twitter!

I can’t believe a pic of Martin and Lewis was a $2000 question.

FJ was an IG. I randomly watched The Goodbye Girl this weekend.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

It takes me a few days to adjust to DST, so I wasn’t ready to quit at 7:00, and the archive isn’t updated, but I decided to watch the episode online.  It’s fun watching on drink three instead of one.

The absence of a llama clue was odd.

Book Club was a very surprising TS; I haven’t yet seen the film, but even if the cast didn’t give it away to any of the contestants, so the text of the clue didn’t help them, damn – the pictograph was quite simple; I’m surprised Alex wasn’t snarky in revealing the answer (like he appropriately did with the missed DD, where the contestant didn’t figure out it would be the planet ruled no longer a planet). 

Lymph was mildly surprising as a TS given the category. The Maude TS actually caused a twinge of pain.

But count me in among those who could picture plain as day a white label with a red devil, yet not come up with the brand of the deviled ham; I had this vague grocery store memory of that label wrapped around a can of something, but no idea what -- I've never eaten it (nor do I want to), and it didn’t even sound familiar once revealed!  I'd have never come up with that one.

The ropa vieja clue was coincidental timing; I know enough Spanish to know both words, so I’d have come up with it regardless, but just last night on an old episode of a cooking show, I learned there’s a folk tale around the origin of the dish about shredding old clothes, so it was fresh in my mind.

Munch = The Scream never belongs in DJ, unless it really is the Toddler Tournament.

FJ was an instaget for me, and I thought, given the timeframe, a bit too easy for a FJ clue – I was surprised to see only one get it.  But she was my favorite of the three contestants, so, yay.

• Love 1

I thought Norman Lear had died so was thinking the Jeopardy curse had struck again, but then thought no he died last year. Google informed me that I had him confused with Neil Simon who died in August 2018. So of course I (jokingly) pre-guessed Neil Simon when the FJ category was shown. And lo & behold 😎

My local affiliate kinda spoiled the end because right before airing the show they had a 'this week on Jeopardy' teaser showing Elaine with a huge delighted smile on her face, so I pegged her as the winner.   

TS I got were Book Club, Underwood, Pluto (Conor's missed DD), El Greco (Scott's missed DD), Maude. 

3 hours ago, lb60 said:

Yep! We guessed gorilla & alligator but also said llama. 

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I thought Norman Lear had died so was thinking the Jeopardy curse had struck again, but then thought no he died last year. Google informed me that I had him confused with Neil Simon who died in August 2018. So of course I (jokingly) pre-guessed Neil Simon when the FJ category was shown. And lo & behold 😎

My local affiliate kinda spoiled the end because right before airing the show they had a 'this week on Jeopardy' teaser showing Elaine with a huge delighted smile on her face, so I pegged her as the winner.   

TS I got were Book Club, Underwood, Pluto (Conor's missed DD), El Greco (Scott's missed DD), Maude. 

Yep! We guessed gorilla & alligator but also said llama. 

FJ was easy. I knew underwood. I was so depressed that nobody knew The Count of Monte Christo I love that book. My birthday twin is Nicole Kidman.

A lot of shameful TSs tonight... Speaking of Neil Simon I just watched BAREFOOT IN THE PARK for the first time a few nights ago. And I'm sad to discover that my celebrity birthday twin (Deborah Lee Carrington) died last year 😯.

Edited by Gimmick Genius
Misspell
9 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I am shocked that no one knew Maude. That is just so wrong. 

Well, the show was Before Their Time and I don't know if it's in reruns anywhere. "Maude" also never became shorthand for a particular type of person the way "Archie Bunker" did. If younger folks are familiar with Bea Arthur, I am guessing they know her from The Golden Girls rather than Maude.

7 hours ago, lb60 said:

I'm also ticked that I missed Pluto, because I was only half paying attention. Pluto is and always will be a planet. I curse Pluto's demotion!

<shakes angry fist>

I thought about Pluto because of the "rise and fall" part of the clue, but was thrown by the "America's favorite planet" part. I never thought of Pluto as a "favorite." But don't be too unhappy about its demotion, since there are those who think it should get its full planetary status back, as discussed here.

I also got Book Club, Underwood, Luther Burbank, lymph, Count of Monte Cristo, and El Greco. It took me a moment, but I did come up with Neil Simon. He was so prolific that Joan Rivers once joked she should call her own play The New Neil Simon Play.

I know that watching Jeopardy is a bittersweet experience for many of us now that we know about Alex's health. Did anyone else wince when he said he was "still recovering" from the All Stars tournament?

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Well, the show was Before Their Time and I don't know if it's in reruns anywhere. "Maude" also never became shorthand for a particular type of person the way "Archie Bunker" did. If younger folks are familiar with Bea Arthur, I am guessing they know her from The Golden Girls rather than Maude.

Eh I have only seen eps and clips on YouTube and I got it instantly mainly because she is a role model/icon for a lot of women for a lot of reasons including the abortion episode which still is often mentioned when talking about popular culture and reproductive rights.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

If you are at all a Rita Moreno fan and have Netflix, PLEASE check out the new version of One Day at a Time.  It is a lovely show and apparently needs more eyeballs to secure a fourth season.

Second that. I watched the original back in the day when I was the age of the daughters. It was a good show, but this re-imagining of it is so good. Very funny - yet very touching.

11 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Hormel because all I could think of was Spam.  Blech.

Me too.

10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I hope that doesn't mean he'll be a victim of The Jeopardy Curse. Made me nervous to see him have a whole category.

Doesn't the curse usually happen before the show is aired? That is, clues about people who were alive when the episode filmed, and who've since departed or had scandals. That being said, the man's 96, we gotta expect it sometime.

10 hours ago, Etta Place said:

I am super happy that I got FJ. Playwrights is far from my favorite category, and when I saw the clue, I said “well, it would be helpful if I had any idea who died in 2018” (I don’t, obviously.)

But I decided to try to think it through... he was 91, so his popular work was probably in the 60s or 70s... It ended up with me saying to my husband “I have no everloving idea - Neil Simon?” Imagine my surprise.

Your brain worked faster than mine - probably because I initially rejected Simon thinking that there was no way he was that old (now that I think about it, I probably conflated him with Neil Sedaka). So I started out with the birthday and tried to work forward, but time ran out.

9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I know, right?

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought about Pluto because of the "rise and fall" part of the clue, but was thrown by the "America's favorite planet" part. I never thought of Pluto as a "favorite." But don't be too unhappy about its demotion, since there are those who think it should get its full planetary status back, as discussed here.

I think (no proof) that Pluto gained popularity when it was demoted. Americans love an underdog. On the other hand - speaking of dogs - maybe it's a Disney thing.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yes, and I also felt that way about the pic of Rita Moreno.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Munch = The Scream never belongs in DJ, unless it really is the Toddler Tournament.

Right. Can anyone name another Munch painting?

7 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I was so depressed that nobody knew The Count of Monte Christo I love that book. 

I said The Man in the Iron Mask. I never keep those two straight.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Well, the show was Before Their Time and I don't know if it's in reruns anywhere. "Maude" also never became shorthand for a particular type of person the way "Archie Bunker" did.

Oh yes, Maude is on reruns on one of the retro channels.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I said The Man in the Iron Mask.

So did I.

I did get Pluto, Luther Burbank, El Greco, and Maude.  I think the Maude clue said "this woman" and that led me straight to Maude.

Also got FJ even though I wasn't really sure he had died in 2018.

I like the new champ's pink hair.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I said The Man in the Iron Mask. I never keep those two straight.

I thought The Man in the Iron Mask, knew it was wrong, and couldn't think of the right title.  I would have been reduced to muttering, "You know, the other one."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I did get Pluto, Luther Burbank, El Greco, and Maude.  I think the Maude clue said "this woman" and that led me straight to Maude.

Also got FJ even though I wasn't really sure he had died in 2018.

I like the new champ's pink hair.

I had those TS's as well. I don't know how I missed that Neil Simon had died; it seems it should've been pretty big news, but I only got it right because I knew both Arthur Miller and August Wilson died in '05, and he was the next playwright I thought of.

Ditto on the pink hair. I don't like it on everyone who has it, but the new champ wears it well.

Also ditto on the revamp of One Day at a Time. It's excellent, and Rita Moreno is a national treasure. Speaking of EGOT winners, I was catching up on this season of The Voice last weekend and learned that John Legend is an EGOT. I had no idea. I went down an EGOT rabbit hole and am now prepared should an EGOT category come up during my game(s)!

• Love 4
6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Well, the show was Before Their Time and I don't know if it's in reruns anywhere.

Maude has been running on AntennaTV for awhile.

12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

So much this. This should have been a word clue only, no picture needed. But then I just watched the Jeopardy rerun where FJ was the picture of the map of Oregon and Idaho with a dot and arrow on the border, asking for the name of the company located there. At least Dean and Jerry was just a money clue, even if its value should have been one zero less.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yes, and I also felt that way about the pic of Rita Moreno.

Although Rita doesn't look the same as she did in her West Side Story days. It took me a minute.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I watched the original back in the day when I was the age of the daughters.

I had to stop watching the old One Day At A Time reruns because of the creepy stalker Schneider. I trust there is none of that in the new show. No Valerie Bertinelli either, right @opus?

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

yesterday Twitter suggested I follow Anthony Bourdain. ????

Twitter hates you, obviously. Stay here, do not follow.

6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Well, the show was Before Their Time and I don't know if it's in reruns anywhere.

BTT is no excuse on this show. I hate when Alex says that.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Can anyone name another Munch painting?

I can, but then if I couldn't I would have wasted five years of art history classes.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I had to stop watching the old One Day At A Time reruns because of the creepy stalker Schneider. I trust there is none of that in the new show. No Valerie Bertinelli either, right @opus?

Not yet.

I don't have Netflix, but I believe the Schneider bit has been ruled outdated. Old show connection-wise, Mackenzie Phillips (Julie) has done 7 eps of the reboot, and Michael Lembeck (who played Julie's husband) has directed an episode. Valerie has mentioned wanting to appear, but her schedule (she has 3 shows on The Food Network) and the shows schedule haven't lined up. So the new ODAAT will at least need a season 4 to attempt to make that happen.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, teebax said:

Speaking of EGOT winners, I was catching up on this season of The Voice last weekend and learned that John Legend is an EGOT. I had no idea.

He, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and Tim Rice all became EGOTs recently, all thanks to the Jesus Christ Superstar TV special that aired last year.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got Pluto, lymph, Count of Monte Cristo (one of my favorites), and El Greco.  But I couldn't come up with Underwood devilled ham.  I could picture that devil on the label, but just couldn't see the word.

I didn't get lymph, but knew the rest.  And I had the same problem with Underwood.  I was shouting "Maude!" at the tv, but that didn't help.

17 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

The new champ wasn’t annoying, but I didn’t like the pink hair.

Me, neither.

15 hours ago, lb60 said:

I did get Book Club

I did as well, although I thought it was so easy, I must be wrong.

15 hours ago, lb60 said:

Yes, but they didn't use the one I started with, llama.

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

think (no proof) that Pluto gained popularity when it was demoted. Americans love an underdog.

I agree, also without proof.

• Love 3

I didn't get Book Club, because my first thought was "clover", then "shamrock" -- I never got to club!  And because I was focused on that part, I didn't even really look at the first picture.  If I had, I probably would have gotten the whole thing, because "book clover" and "book shamrock" make absolutely no sense at all.  :)  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Stavia said:

I’m Elaine. Thanks for being pleased I won! Sorry I missed so many stumpers. It’s insane how fast it goes.

(And even my mother took a few years to warm up to this hair color, so it’s not an instant hit with everyone.)

Welcome, and I was totally rooting for you on the show (and no, I'm not just saying that because you're here). I'm on board with any Bruce fan. Continued good luck! When were the tapings?

• Love 3

I got the "Maude" clue based on Tuckahoe! I also knew that Norman Lear was still alive because of the Kennedy Centers Honors controversy a couple of years ago and was certain I would remember if he had died within the last 18 months or so. I did know Neil Simon had died fairly recently (and actually "pre-guessed" him), but my mother kept trying to talk me out of it saying "he wasn't 91"! I, too, guessed "clover" and didn't even recognize the first picture as a book, probably because usually pictures of books tend to be of "open books".

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Stavia said:

I’m Elaine. Thanks for being pleased I won!

Welcome, @Stavia / Elaine! Congrats on a fabulous win and becoming a Jeopardy Champion, you now belong to an exclusive club. Frankly, I didn't notice your hair during the show (crummy tv I guess, plus I never watch closely) but I did see it on TheJeopardyFan site ... and I'm a fan. I totally support colored hair, tattoos, strange clothes, whatever anyone wants to do. I mean, why not? IMO, it says more about a person who doesn't like how others look than about the person with a different look. I gravitate toward those who hear a different drummer.

You rocked that FJ, even though you kept it from being an asterisk in our contest, and I loved how happy you were at winning. I'll be rooting for you again today. Good luck!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Stavia said:

I’m Elaine. Thanks for being pleased I won! Sorry I missed so many stumpers. It’s insane how fast it goes.

(And even my mother took a few years to warm up to this hair color, so it’s not an instant hit with everyone.)

Not to sound old, but I am, I have grown to love the vibrant hair colors because my daughter changes hers regularly. The brighter the better!

You did great! Welcome.

• Love 3

Hi, Elaine/Stavia! You were great, and I'm rooting for you too. I missed the intros, but I noticed Alex kept calling you EE-laine. Is that how you pronounce it, or was he muffing it?

• Love 1

I also thought autobahn because I thought the Maginot Line was WWI. 

The Janus question was weird - I wonder why Alex just didn’t say the name of the Union and instead said the letters in the name. 

• Love 2

I can't believe I got FJ. I literally said "I don't know.  Maginot Line?  That can't possibly be right.  Well, that's my answer."  LOL.  Knew a couple of answers I couldn't think of fast enough.  I hate that.  I like it better when I just flat out don't know.

• Love 1

Hi Elaine/Stavia! You played well and went out with grace and humor - can't ask for more than that.  If it makes you feel better, I thought Maiginot line and talked myself into the autobahn for FJ! 😂

• Love 3

FJ was one of those where the answer jumped into my brain instantly, but I wasn't sure so I tried to come up with something else. But I couldn't think of anything else. So Maginot Line it was.

I'm sorry you didn't win again, Elaine/Stavia, but at least that Evan guy didn't win. He was driving me crazy with his slow picking. I'm happy that Brandon will have money to fund his travel and study of religion. I was afraid he had jinxed himself when he said what he wanted to win the money for.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Kathira said:

but at least that Evan guy didn't win. He was driving me crazy with his slow picking.

I know, he was driving me crazy.  I hold him completely responsible for the one clue left on the board. That's better than they do a lot of times, but he had at least 3 pauses that were long enough for one more clue.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Kathira said:

FJ was one of those where the answer jumped into my brain instantly, but I wasn't sure so I tried to come up with something else. But I couldn't think of anything else. So Maginot Line it was.

I'm sorry you didn't win again, Elaine/Stavia, but at least that Evan guy didn't win. He was driving me crazy with his slow picking. I'm happy that Brandon will have money to fund his travel and study of religion. I was afraid he had jinxed himself when he said what he wanted to win the money for.

Agree about the Evan guy, he seemed totally disinterested throughout the game. Odd. I had zero clue for FJ and still have no idea what the Maginot Line is.

• Love 6

Well played, @Stavia / Elaine!  I know what it's like to just kill it in the game and then get a Final Jeopardy like that.

But I do want to give you a big brava for the "antici . . . pation" answer. I was hoping someone would answer it that way!

• Love 19

Evan, next time you're on national television, you might want to consider a shot (or 12) of caffeine. 

Any GH watchers here? My first reaction when they showed him was, "Hey, it's Shiloh!"

Anyway, I could have sat until the cows came home and never come up with FJ.

I did get Brown Bear, which I've read way too many times, and Allison Janney (love!).

Not a fan of the new champ.

Edited by lb60
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, illdoc said:

I got the "Maude" clue based on Tuckahoe! I also knew that Norman Lear was still alive because of the Kennedy Centers Honors controversy a couple of years ago and was certain I would remember if he had died within the last 18 months or so. I did know Neil Simon had died fairly recently (and actually "pre-guessed" him), but my mother kept trying to talk me out of it saying "he wasn't 91"!

Oh yeah, I was yelling "Maude!" at the TV.

I couldn't quite remember if Neil Simon had died recently - I was half-distracted by Edward Albee (who actually died in 2016 at 88.)  But I figured Simon had all those awards and nominations, and if he was indeed deceased, it HAD to be him.

Norman Lear looks great!  He is one of the people on our "Famous People Older Than Mom" poster.  Our mom (who is, of course, the mother of Tom & Jim who were on J! last year), will turn 95 next month, and we made the  poster for her 90th.  It started out with 30 people, and 16 have now passed on.  Mom's winning!  Norman Lloyd, Carl Reiner, Olivia DeHavilland, Bob Barker, Bill Macy (who played Maude's husband Walter!), Hugh Downs, Kirk Douglas, Doris Day, Norman Lear, Bob Dole, Henry Kissinger, Gloria Vanderbilt, Betty White, and Prince Phillip are still in the running, so to speak. 

Ya done good, Elaine!

• Love 8

I’m Elaine.

You, and your hair, are awesome. I really enjoyed watching you the last two days! 

I laughed at the Crawdads TS, just because the book was sitting next to me on the couch as I was watching. Also, I'm not sure if there was ever a category more made for me than the Movie Role/TV Role one - or less for me than whatever that Mermaid situation was.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

But I do want to give you a big brava for the "antici . . . pation" answer. I was hoping someone would answer it that way!

Agreed!  And good for you, @Stavia for not drawing it out too long and running out of time.  🙂

I also was annoyed by Evan's slow picking, and was really surprised that Brandon missed the Plymouth Rock clue.  1603 was Jamestown. 

I once knew someone who seriously pronounced the silent Ps in words.  Drove me insane, but apparently she couldn't help it or something.  And no, she wasn't just doing it to drive me insane.

Once again I was clueless for FJ.  I've heard of the Maginot Line, but had no idea what it was.  I did think the answer must have had something to do with the war, but ended up guessing Autobahn as well, just to  have something to say.  But I did get several TS -- 1620, Brown Bear, pneumonic, Allison Janney, crawdads, Henry Clay, and Adirondacks. 

I love Allison Janney, so I was sad she was a TS, and I also loved "Where The Crawdads Sing", but since it's a fairly recent book, wasn't surprised it was a TS.  Adirondacks surprised me, though, especially after Catskills had been ruled out.

• Love 1

I missed more than half of the first round, so I had to find it online.

I love that Elaine answered “antici …pation” like the song; I was going to be annoyed if whoever rang in didn’t.

Allison Janney is one of my favorite actors, so her being a TS was a bummer.  Also a bit surprising given a recent Oscar win for one of the roles asked about.  Susan Sarandon, too, but not as much based on the two roles listed.  Crawdads was another one I'd have predicted someone would get.  I was surprised it took three tries to get to airport, too; maybe McCarran not being as well known threw them off that trail, but airport is the first thing I think of when I hear Logan.

Really, Roe v. Wade being the case establishing abortion rights and that the CL in ACLU stands for civil liberties in DJ?  Some of the Feelings clues (in the first round) were Teen Tournament worthy, but it always bugs me more in DJ.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

For once I didn’t feel bad about missing FJ because even after the answer was revealed, I was all...”OK, I don’t even know what that is.”

I felt like there was an implied “Whatever...” before every word Evan said. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Alison Janney is one of my favorite actors, so her being a TS was a bummer.  Also a bit surprising given a recent Oscar win for one of the roles asked about.  Susan Sarandon, too, but not as much based on the two roles listed. 

I guess no one here watched Feud: Bette and Joan last spring? It had me looking forward to Sunday nights for the first time since Mad Men ended. Definitely worth seeking out.

• Love 2