Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

When they didn’t get “Unbreak My Heart” I figured it was a safe bet they were not going to get the next clue about The Weeknd.  I didn’t either.  I know what The Weeknd looks like, but could not name one of his songs under any circumstance.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Another coincidence: Art Fleming died of pancreatic cancer.

That's quite eerie. Trebek can almost use Warren Zevon's joke... when he was diagnosed with mesothelioma, WZ said "All I asked for was Steve McQueen's haircut." (McQueen died of mesothelioma, too.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't think I've heard of a forecastle.

I knew it was the answer, but I really wanted it to be poop deck, because sometimes my inner ten year old can't help herself.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

When they didn’t get “Unbreak My Heart” I figured it was a safe bet they were not going to get the next clue about The Weeknd.  I didn’t either.  I know what The Weeknd looks like, but could not name one of his songs under any circumstance.

I don't even know what he looks like.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm so sad about Alex.  I can't imagine how he'll undergo treatment, etc and still keep hosting, yet I can't imagine anyone else taking his place.  He makes me crazy on lots of levels, but he's also "irreplaceable" in his own quirky way.  Many thoughts and prayers to him and his family as they start this journey.  

Edited by Julia67
  • Love 11

@teebax, when do you tape your tournament? If you can, please let us know how Alex is doing at that time (if he is able to host your tournament, that is). 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

That’s a fairly well-known portrait of Anne Boleyn.  The necklace was (If I remember correctly) a gift from Henry VIII.

I recognized the portrait, but ended up getting the answer from the clue itself. All those old portraits look alike. 😉

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Maybe because it's pronounced foke-sul?

I got it because I read a lot of historical novels. Though I am not fond of pirates.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I recognized the portrait, but ended up getting the answer from the clue itself. All those old portraits look alike. 😉

The necklace does have a B on it, though, so even if you didn't know the order of his wives, or didn't recognize the portrait, that would have been a giveaway.  I went through a period a while ago where I was obsessed with Henry VIII.  So, I love clues about him and when he gets a whole category I clear it every time.  It's probably the only category I can say that about every single time.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I got it because I read a lot of historical novels. Though I am not fond of pirates.

Absolutely. I'm also going to tell him how many well wishes I've read for him here and on other forums I visit. Yesterday was such a roller coaster day for me. I received the e-mail from the contestant coordinator with my flight information and was really excited. About an hour later, I opened up my Facebook page and the first thing I saw was his video. I'm still really upset, as I'm sure all of you Jeopardy fans are. Alex has his quirks, but I can't even begin to imagine Jeopardy without him. I've been watching since 1984, when I was 12 years old and knew very few of the answers.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Oddly weird... I was scanning YouTube for old episodes of Jeopardy! with Art Fleming and found one from 1974. It's here. At 17:46 in the Double Jeopardy round, the $100 clue in the "Odd Lots" category was:A triple stumper that Art reveals is the fo'c'sle. A duplicate answer 45 years later! I was really surprised to see that. That's some coincidence.

Who knows, but I may have watched that. Wish I had a super-memory to recall it.

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

I couldn't remember the title, but once Alex said it, it sounded familiar.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't even know what he looks like.

The first time I saw him he looked like this:

weeknd.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664

Hard to forget.

• Love 1

I think the champ pronouncing forecastle the way she did is probably indicative of reading it but never hearing it pronounced. I did the same thing when I told my husband I was going to a house on Coxswain Ct,, pronouncing it as written, when he told me it's pronounced koksun. 

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

I think it’s going to be from now until the end of time before I get over that guy answering “Lawrence Thomas”.  It was wrong on so many levels.

And the real LT is such a part of my fandom that I automatically typed out Taylor and had to back up.

Backlash came to me right before the last bong of the song so I don’t know if I would have had time to write it down.  The other answers were...interesting.

I was shouting Lawrence Taylor at the tv.  Oops.  I did get RG3, though.

My dad would be so proud of me for getting zymurgy.  He loved that word, and like to say it was the last one in the dictionary, although apparently that wasn't true.

I came up with backlash fairly quickly based on the number of letters, but I didn't think it was correct.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I think the champ pronouncing forecastle the way she did is probably indicative of reading it but never hearing it pronounced.

This is sometimes called tome deafness.  Probably quite a few of us have it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Welcome back to clues left on the board, Good For You interviews, four-digit final $ totals and any DD wager more than $2,000 is daring and oh-so bold. Hope everyone who hated the All Stars is happy.

I'm happy to get a full game, rather than just half of one.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I think the champ pronouncing forecastle the way she did is probably indicative of reading it but never hearing it pronounced. I did the same thing when I told my husband I was going to a house on Coxswain Ct,, pronouncing it as written, when he told me it's pronounced koksun. 

I'm quite embarrassed to not have gotten that one, since ships are usually one of my really good categories.  However, had I come up with forecastle, I would've pronounced correctly, but only because I've heard it pronounced before.  That's what happens when you watch enough Horatio Hornblower.

15 hours ago, lb60 said:

Good for me. I also got tsunami.

Me, too.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

also got tsunami (also a surprise TS), and Robinson Crusoe on a wild-ass guess.

I would never have known that there was a Robinson Crusoe island in that group, but Alexander Selkirk was the person on whom Defoe based the character, so it was obvious to me in that context.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Fex said:

I was yelling Rhodes. With "scholar" in quotations marks, it seemed so obvious to me!

I completely missed the obvious on that one.  A real "D'oh!" moment, as it were.

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I knew the song but couldn't come up with the title in time.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

When they didn’t get “Unbreak My Heart” I figured it was a safe bet they were not going to get the next clue about The Weeknd.

I was laughing because I imagined all three players wanting to answer, "Who is The Weeknd?" Only they would have spelled it "The Weekend." Side note: The Weeknd is one of my favorites, love his "stuff." So that was an easy one for me. (Hey, easy is rare for me, so cut me some slack.)

13 hours ago, Fex said:

I thought tornado was a strange guess. The question was about the Pacific ocean! I thought typhoon and tsunami right away, but I don't know which I would have gone with in a game.

At least tornado is a "t" word. My thought was "tidal wave" because my brain couldn't dredge up tsunami, even thought I knew that was the correct answer.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was laughing because I imagined all three players wanting to answer, "Who is The Weeknd?" Only they would have spelled it "The Weekend." Side note: The Weeknd is one of my favorites, love his "stuff." So that was an easy one for me. (Hey, easy is rare for me, so cut me some slack.)

I don't like a lot of modern artists, but I freaking love The Weeknd. "Earned It" is one of the sexiest songs I've ever heard. It's on my hot date playlist! He also seems like a good guy, which is nice in a time when so many celebrities don't seem to be.

• LOL 1
12 minutes ago, teebax said:

He also seems like a good guy, which is nice in a time when so many celebrities don't seem to be.

Yes! The Weeknd and Chance the Rapper both fit that category.

I might have to start a "hot date playlist." LOL!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My thought was "tidal wave" because my brain couldn't dredge up tsunami, even thought I knew that was the correct answer.

They used to call them tidal waves, don't know when they started calling them tsunamis. 

I did get that ts along with Robinson Crusoe.  Also got backlash for FJ but, like others have said, didn't think it sounded quite right.

Dana wagered properly and got lucky - a winning combination.

• Love 1

I had never heard the phrase “read you 5x5” before. I had no idea what she was talking about when she guessed that. Also, I can’t remember the last time a contestant started answering without buzzing in. That same woman looked mighty peeved when two of her answers were just slightly off and the tip-ins both went to the librarian. I don’t blame her!

I got FJ and honestly couldn’t even come up with an alternate guess.

• Love 7

I still don’t even understand “I read you 5x5”.  Help!

I’m not at home, so I wasn’t able to write down the TS I got (this hotel room doesn’t have stationery or even a notepad!), but there were a couple.  I also got FJ.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I still don’t even understand “I read you 5x5”.  Help!

Here to help, my hotel-living friend. It's a term that originated from radio signals -- the signal quality is reported on two scales, strength and clarity, and are ranked from one to five. One is the worst, five the best. The numbers are separated by "by." (Heh) So five by five (5x5) means the signal has excellent strength and perfect clarity, the best signal there is.

It has since come to mean "I understand you perfectly" in other situations, the way "loud and clear" entered slang after WWII. It also is sometimes used to mean "everything is good." As @ABay said, Faith on "Buffy" used it that way.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
59 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Here to help, my hotel-living friend. It's a term that originated from radio signals -- the signal quality is reported on two scales, strength and clarity, and are ranked from one to five. One is the worst, five the best. The numbers are separated by "by." (Heh) So five by five (5x5) means the signal has excellent strength and perfect clarity, the best signal there is.

It has since come to mean "I understand you perfectly" in other situations, the way "loud and clear" entered slang after WWII. It also is sometimes used to mean "everything is good." As @ABay said, Faith on "Buffy" used it that way.

Thanks! I never quite understood where Faith's phrase came from but have wondered for many years.

• LOL 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Thanks! I never quite understood where Faith's phrase came from but have wondered for many years.

"And now you know, " to quote Paul Harvey. (!)

52 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

OTOH, I have a much better penguin encounter story, since mine doesn’t involve a zoo!

I KNOW! I thought of you and was afraid she was going to ace you on the penguin personal antidote but, whew, hers did fall short. Yours will make a kickass interview when you get on the show.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1

Glad to be back in sync with the forum since Detroit got tonight's show.  Thanks for the info on 5 by 5.  I had heard it before (either some historical remnant in my brain or in Buffy watching) but couldn't really get how it fit the category.  

Hope staged a good comeback with some luck from stumbles by Kristin but I was surprised she got credit for her answer The Titanic when the question seemed to ask for the movie's title which I think is just Titanic.  I agree Kristen looked peeved but her answers were wrong.

I was surprised the Rough Riders was a TS with Teddy Roosevelt mentioned in the clue.

• Love 5
(edited)

The Rough Riders TS was surprising because of Teddy Roosevelt being included in the clue (I wouldn't expect anyone to get it just based on knowing who lead it, but once Roosevelt was listed as second-in-command, I think the Theodore Roosevelt-Rough Riders association should have been common enough knowledge among contestants that one would have rang in).  The Costa Rica TS would surprise me if I hadn't had to long ago accept that even J! contestants suck at geography.  Irritate me, though, yes -- there was enough info in that clue that at least one of three people who studied to appear on this show should have come up with it.  The Elizabeth Blackwell TS made me sad, especially in a game with three women competing.

The movie was Titanic, not The Titanic; unless I heard Hope wrong, she should have been ruled incorrect as it asked for the film title, not the name of the ship.

Art is a hit-and-miss category for me, so with a wide-open FJ category like that I'd have had no idea what to wager.  And any clue with Jesus in it is not likely to bode well for me, but it was an instaget -- that I went on to second-guess for the rest of the music, because it seemed so easy I figured it was just that it was the only painting with Jesus in it I could think of and the right answer was something different.

Dana knows her wagering.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I knew FJ right away but wasn’t 100% sure because it seemed way too easy a question if I was right.  

I knew FJ right away too, and I think you are correct it was too easy since all three players also knew it. I was disappointed it did not stump at least one since it was the first FJ I had been able to answer since before All Stars. It made me feel like more of a dumbass, only able to answer easy-peasy clues. *sigh*

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

How the heck did you come to know this? I've never heard the expression.

48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The movie was Titanic, not The Titanic; unless I heard Hope wrong, she should have been ruled incorrect as it asked for the film title, not the name of the ship.

That grated on me, too, but I guess Jeopardy! basically discounts articles.

I felt bad for Kristin with her errors of Pee Wee and XL.

TSs I got were Costa Rica and Rough Riders. Like others here (and there), I got FJ. What else could it be?

Wednesday's TS were Robinson Crusoe, Unbreak My Heart, Can't Feel My Face. aFJ took a sec but I got it in time. Chuck Yaegar seems easy for a $1K clue.

Thursday's TS were loud & clear, every trick in the book, Costa Rica, Rough Riders. FJ was a guess but it was all I could come up with. Dr. Toothbrush said he thought it would be related to Jesus walking on water, but neither of us could think of a famous painting portraying that.

13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I completely missed the obvious on that one.  A real "D'oh!" moment, as it were.

D'oh here too but hubby got it. Hate when that happens. 

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks for the explanation. The category's title had something to do with reading, so since that expression doesn't pertain to reading or books as the answers to the other clues did, I'm surprised it was deemed correct. But this is Jeopardy we're talking about. 

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Thanks, @saber5055!  Once again, Jeopardy taught me something!  Maybe I should submit that for my Jeopardy story.  OTOH, I have a much better penguin encounter story, since mine doesn’t involve a zoo!  LOL

I thought about you and yes, your penguin encounter story is much better. Also thought of @saber5055 in the dog breed category. Surprisingly I got them all correct; I'm usually horrible with mixed words. 

• Love 2

I was surprised she got credit for her answer The Titanic when the question seemed to ask for the movie's title which I think is just Titanic.

It IS just Titanic. That pissed me off. There was another iffy answer but I'm damned if I can remember it now :)

Oh, it's so good to be back to regular J! I hated that boring, all-star clusterf*ck.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

That grated on me, too, but I guess Jeopardy! basically discounts articles.

Here's how it was explained to us in the pre-show briefing when I was on the show:

When giving titles (of movies, books, whatever), you can add an article that isn't there, or omit an article that is there, unless that would create a conflict with another title.

So, for example, Ralph Ellison wrote a novel called Invisible Man.  H.G. Wells wrote a novel called The Invisible Man.  If a clue was about the Ellison novel, and you said "What is The Invisible Man?", you would be ruled incorrect because there is another novel called The Invisible Man.  On the other hand, Shakespeare wrote a play called Two Gentlemen of Verona.  If you answered "What is The Two Gentlemen of Verona?", you would be ruled correct, because there is no other play with the title The Two Gentlemen of Verona.

So in this case, I presume they ruled "The Titanic" correct, because there is no movie with that title.

It strikes me as a little on the loosey-goosey side, but that's the policy as it was explained to me.

Maybe if j5cochran, who was on the show more recently that I was, is reading this, she can tell us if they're still giving that instruction in the briefing.

• Useful 11
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I was surprised the Rough Riders was a TS with Teddy Roosevelt mentioned in the clue.

Me too - and was surprised to learn the origin of the name of an army base I once lived on as a kid - Fort Leonard Wood.

7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I thought about you and yes, your penguin encounter story is much better. Also thought of @saber5055 in the dog breed category. Surprisingly I got them all correct; I'm usually horrible with mixed words. 

I thought of @saber5055 too, and explained to my husband why I thought of her. 🙂

10 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Here's how it was explained to us in the pre-show briefing when I was on the show:

When giving titles (of movies, books, whatever), you can add an article that isn't there, or omit an article that is there, unless that would create a conflict with another title.

So, for example, Ralph Ellison wrote a novel called Invisible Man.  H.G. Wells wrote a novel called The Invisible Man.  If a clue was about the Ellison novel, and you said "What is The Invisible Man?", you would be ruled incorrect because there is another novel called The Invisible Man.  On the other hand, Shakespeare wrote a play called Two Gentlemen of Verona.  If you answered "What is The Two Gentlemen of Verona?", you would be ruled correct, because there is no other play with the title The Two Gentlemen of Verona.

So in this case, I presume they ruled "The Titanic" correct, because there is no movie with that title.

It strikes me as a little on the loosey-goosey side, but that's the policy as it was explained to me.

Maybe if j5cochran, who was on the show more recently that I was, is reading this, she can tell us if they're still giving that instruction in the briefing.

Thank you. I was a bit miffed by "The Titanic" but now that I understand, I won't be. It's very similar to the logic regarding last names (though that one is trickier).

• Love 1
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I felt bad for Kristin with her errors of Pee Wee and XL.

I didn't feel bad for her regarding Pee-wee. The clue SAID "possessive." How can you NOT add an apostrophe/s?

I didn't get the Teddy Roosevelt answer because I got stuck on "Hey, so that's who the 'fort' was named for!"

The only "mixed breed" I got was Malamute, only because "Husky" didn't fit the letters. That had nothing to do with unscrambling anagrams. Hahaha.

IS there another painting with Jesus' feet? (Outside of the ones where he's a wee babe.)

But it was really good (and I didn't realize how much I missed it) to see them go down the board instead of hopping all over the place.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Rough Riders TS was surprising because of Teddy Roosevelt being included in the clue (I wouldn't expect anyone to get it just based on knowing who lead it, but once Roosevelt was listed as second-in-command,

I, for my part, was surprised that Teddy was only the second in command.  I thought he was in charge of the whole thing.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I, for my part, was surprised that Teddy was only the second in command.  I thought he was in charge of the whole thing.

Me too!  I thought in History class they always taught that Teddy was the leader of the Rough Riders

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Dana knows her wagering.

I am so impressed by her math skills. I can hold my own on trivia knowledge from the comfort of my couch but would be absolutely sunk by all of the if-x-then-y calculations in FJ. 

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

You beat me to it! That is exactly the instruction that we were given, with exactly the same two examples.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Me too!  I thought in History class they always taught that Teddy was the leader of the Rough Riders

That's what I was taught in history classes in school, too, but I'm reading Doris Kearns Goodwin's Leadership.  One of the multitude of examples of Teddy's leadership abilities is his refusal of the colonelcy of the Rough Riders, recommending Leonard Wood instead. Teddy knew that he did not have the military experience to manage the troops, so he took the position of second in command. However, it was Teddy, the only one on horseback, who led the troops up San Juan Hill and Kettle Hill. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2