Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

IWell yeah, if I were writing for a sailing magazine and had done that article, FJ would have been a no-brainer for me, too. I'll be back at ya when FJ is about dog shows or antique tractors since I write articles for those magazines. IEWYKI.

Everyone here who knows Elliot had cats as pets raise their hand ...

*crickets*

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I didn't know for a fact that he had cats as pets--and we don't know if all the critters named in the clue were cats--but I did know "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats." One thing I just learned tonight was that Eliot was planning a sequel devoted to dogs. Nice article here.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Driad said:

I'm having my "STFU, Trebek" drink now because Jeopardy is on rather early.  You?

I really need to open that bottle of wine or one of those Leinenkugel's that have been sitting here for two years ...

3 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

One thing I just learned tonight was that Eliot was planning a sequel devoted to dogs. Nice article here.

If you had posted that link yesterday, I would have gotten FJ today.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So I went with the guy who wrote Jabberwocky and settled on Lewis. Feel free to point and laugh because Lewis wasn't a poet either.

Jabberwocky is a famous poem written by Lewis Carrol, so he’s a poet, and that was a very bright intelligent guess by you.

(Can you tell I guessed Carrol?)

Edited by opus
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Everyone here who knows Eliot had cats as pets raise their hand ...

*crickets*

Well, since you asked... not exactly crickets... I've never seen Cats, don't know about Eiliot's pet ownership, but somehow I know that it's based on T S Eliot's writings.  I guess it's one of those "it's easy if you know that" clues.

But I have to admit - the latest season of Kimmy Schmidt includes some Cats references, and I really  didn't know if they were actual or facetious.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, opus said:

Jabberwocky is a famous poem written by Lewis Carrol, so he’s a poet, and that was a very bright intelligent guess by you.

That was my exact reasoning too for guessing Carroll. 

• Love 2

Last night, I only got annihilate.  For FJ, I just started naming any island I could think of, but never settled on one.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I had it before Alex finished reading the clue.

However, it was the only TS I got all night, so there's that.

Same and

same.

• Love 1

The supply and demand TS was surprising.  (I’d never heard aggregate supply or aggregate demand, but the clue asked one to think of an S&D economic term, so supply & demand is something I’d have thought at least one would come up with.)  It surprised me even more than FJ being a TS (which did surprise me, too).

The missed DD of goblet made me think Eric was concentrating too much on the wording of the clue rather than just looking at the picture.

(And, good gods, does he need to stop with the cutesy dottings of the I in his name.  And, no, I don't care why he's doing it.)

The “seven” category belonged in the first round.

I ran the first round, but not at all the second, thanks to comic books and opera, two things I would need to do a lot of studying on if I wanted to compete.

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Toddler Jeopardy level? Dr. Seuss (fun fact: he apparently hated children) isn't even considered a poet!! Sure, he wrote stuff that rhymed, but that does not make him a poet. I, too, thought that is was blatantly obvious it was TS Eliot---perhaps, had the clue said "his cats" instead of "his pets" they may have gotten it, but I'm not so sure. 

Back in the day when we had to write down exam answers, the way to remember how to spell T. S. Eliot is that it's an anagram of toilets.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

So, T.S. was a TS. 

Good catch!

Yeah, I'm one who thought that was super easy. I admit I was thrown just a little for a sec because the clue said "pets," which I always initially assume means dogs. (Guess I'm animal biased.) But it didn't take me longer than another second to come up with TS Eliot.

Other TSs were goblet and obsession.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Toddler Jeopardy level? Dr. Seuss (fun fact: he apparently hated children) isn't even considered a poet!! Sure, he wrote stuff that rhymed, but that does not make him a poet. I, too, thought that is was blatantly obvious it was TS Eliot---perhaps, had the clue said "his cats" instead of "his pets" they may have gotten it, but I'm not so sure. 

I also immediately said Dr Seuss and then second-guessed because I didn't think he counted as a 'poet'. But if high school English taught me anything about poetry, it's that if Eminem can be considered a poet, so can Dr Seuss!
Seriously though - I thought it was a dumb guess and I don't know if I would have actually written it down had I been on the show, but they sounded like names Dr Seuss might make up and "jellylorus" made me think of the Lorax.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The missed DD of goblet made me think Eric was concentrating too much on the wording of the clue rather than just looking at the picture.

I was trying to figure out what type of glass sounded like it could be related to “beal,” the Irish world for mouth.

I had FJ instantly, which was funny because when I saw “Poets” I thought “My worst category, I can never remember who did what other than Dylan Thomas” and then as soon as I saw the clue I knew it was Elliot because of the Cats names.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

*crickets*

As soon as I read the clue (missed the show / caught up on TheJeopardyFan.com), I knew it was that guy that wrote the poems that the musical Cats was based on. The musical I have seen once and slept through half of it. I could not remember the poet's name to save my soul. I guessed White (EB or TH? please don't ask me to be more specific!!!)

• Love 2

TS I got were supply & demand & goblet. Guessed Carroll for FJ, but ran the Opera Characters category. Dr. Toothbrush said he figured it was "the Cats' guy" but didn't know his name. 

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Consider this: He put the smiley dot on his i as a tribute to and to say "Hi" to his younger sister who is in hospice and not expected to live much beyond his stint on Jeopardy. He only appeared on the show because she insisted he go and not give up his chance because of her.

😥

6 hours ago, opus said:

As did I 

I guess I am very ignorant because I had no idea on FJ and did not know that Cats was based on anything written by TS Eliot. 

Can I just claim it was "before my time"? 

Musicals aren't my thing.  Most of my knowledge of Cats comes from references in other shows I watch.  Including the old SNL favorite for the hypnotist, "I loved it.  It was better than Cats.  I will watch it again, and again......"

Fred Willard wins again, though a modest amount this time. 

Will see if he can break the 3-4 game curse this week

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Consider this: He put the smiley dot on his i as a tribute to and to say "Hi" to his younger sister who is in hospice and not expected to live much beyond his stint on Jeopardy. He only appeared on the show because she insisted he go and not give up his chance because of her.

Is this true?

I hope it is true, because then I could start liking the guy.

My SIL, whom I haven't talked to since early December, called way before Jeopardy! came on, but we ended up talking for over 90 minutes, so I missed the entire show.  Well, it was worth getting caught up.  Yet in all that time we talked, she never told me why their Xmas cruise to the Caribbean sucked so badly, other than she got a virus and had to visit the ship's doctor.  They did NOT go to Bermuda NOR the Bahamas. 😉

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

*crickets*

I knew!!  Midnight not a sound from the pavement....Has the moon lost her memory?

• Love 3

The cats' names were the giveaway. Even having never seen Cats, due to my intense aversion to Andrew Lloyd Webber, and never having read Old Possum's whatever, the musical has been around so long and the commercials for touring productions so prevalent, that there was no way I could not know.

I just assumed Eliot had cats because why else write the poem? 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, ABay said:

The cats' names were the giveaway. Even having never seen Cats, due to my intense aversion to Andrew Lloyd Webber, and never having read Old Possum's whatever, the musical has been around so long and the commercials for touring productions so prevalent, that there was no way I could not know.

I just assumed Eliot had cats because why else write the poem? 

Of all the cat names given, I'm pretty sure that only the last one, Jellylorum, is actually used in the musical.  I suspected it was probably Elliot even before Alex got to Jellylorum, since the musical and Elliot's cat poems are known for having unusual names, but Jellylorum clinched it.

Not everyone cares for musicals, or for this particular musical.  But musical theater (even musical theater that is not Hamilton) is a subject that comes up fairly often on Jeopardy!, so it's one of those things that an aspiring contestant would be well advised to brush up on.  As Alex said, I think the writers expected that clue to be easier for the contestants than it turned out to be.

• Love 2
On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:57 PM, Browncoat said:

TS I got include annihilate, square roots, Captain Blood, and Conan.  Conan was a guess.

I got Conan, square roots, and Captain Blood, which is my favorite Errol Flynn movie.

17 hours ago, rubaco said:

I spent the entire 30-second think music complaining to my cats (with normal names, ha) that FJ was way too easy. And then it ended up being a TS! Are you kidding me?

I knew they wanted the author of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats but couldn't pull Eliot out of my brain to save my life.  I was all "it's not e.e. cummings and it's not Ogden Nash, oh damn it, who's that other guy?".

Why, oh why, do the contestants I dislike seem to keep winning?

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Feel guilty yet?

Nope.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I ran the first round, but not at all the second, thanks to comic books and opera, two things I would need to do a lot of studying on if I wanted to compete.

Had I been the contestant who got the Daily Double in Opera Characters, I'd have made it a true daily double.  To me, The Marriage of Figaro was barely worthy of being a first round DD.  But that's because opera is an extremely strong category for me.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Other TSs were goblet and obsession.

I got those too.

17 minutes ago, teebax said:

This is a little off-topic, but I wanted all of you to see it. I made the Teachers Tournament for this year! I'm taking at the beginning of April, and it will air May 5-17th.

Congratulations!  I looked forward to trying to figure out which one is you.  You'll have to do something so we know it's you.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Congratulations!  I looked forward to trying to figure out which one is you.  You'll have to do something so we know it's you.

Easy. They'll be the one who wins.

Edited by opus
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, teebax said:

This is a little off-topic, but I wanted all of you to see it. I made the Teachers Tournament for this year! I'm taking at the beginning of April, and it will air May 5-17th.

Congratulations! That's great! Do you plan to read up on anything before then?

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, teebax said:

Congratulations!

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I may be the only gay, black, left-handed female in the tournament, but who knows? Just look for someone named Tara.

22 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Congratulations! That's great! Do you plan to read up on anything before then?

Oh, I've been reading since before my audition. I'm studying a lot of ancient history, which I'm a bit weak in, and royalty.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, opus said:

🎵Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama🎵

Ah, that song about that wonderful Beach town in Indiana. Okay, so there is an actual beach town in Curacao, but I have only been to the one in Indiana.

16 hours ago, GenerationX said:

So, T.S. was a TS.  Even the category ("POETS") had a "TS".  What didn't have a TS?  My answer, which was "Who is the guy that wrote The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock?"

Studied that poem 3 times in college, and was gobsmacked some years ago to find out the Cats connection, so that stayed with me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Is this true?

No, just trying to lay some guilt on name snarkers. Still, it COULD be true. Just sayin'.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yet in all that time we talked, she never told me why their Xmas cruise to the Caribbean sucked so badly, other than she got a virus and had to visit the ship's doctor. 

I'd say she explained quite well why the cruise sucked.

1 hour ago, teebax said:

Yeay! All our rooting for you did not jinx you ... yet, anyway. May you get all your favorite categories. Many will be education based I am guessing. Can't wait! Let us know your wardrobe choices. Be sure to bring enough clothes for a week so you don't have to run out between tapings and buy something. Like a big, gigantic pendant necklace. I think those are being sold out of the back of a van in the studio parking lot.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Be sure to write TARA with a big heart drawn over it as a shout out to us so we know which Tara is you. (Because I doubt the black, gay, left-handedness will be enough.) I dare anyone here to make fun of THAT.

Meanwhile: To me a goblet is made of metal, not glass. So no way would I have gotten that TS even with the picture. Harry Potter's Goblet of Fire would have broken immediately if it were made of glass.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

So Eric got a "Shut your gob!" from Alex. I guess that's the exact opposite of a "Good for you."  

Sooo... should I spit out my drink?  

I think that qualifies as part of the "STFU Trebek" drinking game, so go ahead and chug.

Since "gob" is mouth, what is the root of one of my favorite words (and @Clanstarling's too) -- gobsmacked? I picked it up from reading Scottish newspapers.

57 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Be sure to write TARA with a big heart drawn over it as a shout out to us so we know which Tara is you. 

No, just put smiley faces in the two A's and the R! Don't forget the finger guns!

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Congratulations!

That's great! I've noticed that Jeopardy uses some names in multiple questions like Pearl Buck so it might help to rewatch  old episodes to help in your weaker subjects.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, teebax said:

Looking forward to it! Congrats 🎉

46 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I think that qualifies as part of the "STFU Trebek" drinking game, so go ahead and chug.

Since "gob" is mouth, what is the root of one of my favorite words (and @Clanstarling's too) -- gobsmacked? I picked it up from reading Scottish newspapers.

I just assume it's getting smacked in the mouth. I am in a literal mood today. 

• Love 1

Is there ANY legal way to stream Jeopardy!? The affilliate in West Palm has a "news" special on tonight between 7 and 8 and they don't rebroadcast in the wee hours. Not a discussion for here in general, but quite truthfully the ability to watch Jeopardy! and wheel is the ONLY thing preventing us from finally cutting the cord. If there was a legit source of streaming Jeopardy! we'd probably pay for that.

Thanks. Go Fred Willard! Need a couple of 5-day Champions to ensure Malibu Barbie gets knocked off the bubble.

• Love 3

Hey @teebax, here's a Two-Guns Teebax logo for you:

TeebaxTwoGuns.jpg.1cc20dfce997f5020bf15ada740d74fd.jpg

And for the rest of yous guys, here's a Happy Valentine's Day treat from our favorite game-show host.

Wait ... I guess Pat Sajak wasn't available. So you get this instead. Better than a box of chocolates, right?

pantslessTrebek.thumb.png.93bc9e0edf4e0767e30b6c5e3ec49fce.png

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, teebax said:

I may be the only gay, black, left-handed female in the tournament, but who knows? Just look for someone named Tara.

Oh, I've been reading since before my audition. I'm studying a lot of ancient history, which I'm a bit weak in, and royalty.

How are you with Opera?  That's come up several times over the last couple of months.  And Shakespeare.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

According to the Cambridge English Dictionary: "so surprised that you cannot speak:"

So I'm thinking so shocked that words cannot come out of your mouth?  I've always heard it used in that way.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I just assume it's getting smacked in the mouth. I am in a literal mood today. 

You may be right.  I've always figured it was based on how sometimes a person will quickly bring their hand to their mouth when they're that shocked by something, but this posits it's because you're as shocked as you'd be by suddenly getting hit in the face.

Either way, it's a good word.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2019 at 2:43 PM, proserpina65 said:

How are you with Opera?  That's come up several times over the last couple of months.  And Shakespeare.

I know enough to answer at leas the first three rows. The harder stuff, not so much. However, I don't see a lot of this category in the teachers tournament archives, so I think I'll be okay.

ETA: I teach Shakespeare, so I would embarrassed to miss a Shakespeare clue, although I don't teach all of his stuff. I have an English degree, so I'm fairly comfortable with the classics. 

Edited by teebax
More info
5 hours ago, teebax said:

Congratulations!  So excited for you!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ABay said:

That was no goblet, that was a chalice from the palace with the brew that is true.

But don't forget that the pellet with the poison is in the vessel with the pestle.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I probably shouldn't admit this, but here goes:  In the "'Urry Up" category, with the clue about Indians (and curry), my first thought was Native American Indians, and I couldn't for the life of me come up with any powder associated with them.  When the contestant said "curry", it was a revelation!  For no reason whatsoever, Indians from India never occurred to me.  Duh.

But I did manage to get TripAdvisor, Baltimore, Numismatist, and countinghouse.

FJ was not an instaget, because I started at the wrong end of the river, but I did get to Brownsville in time. 

• Love 2