Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Just curious, but is there a reason you wouldn’t want to follow something? For me, that seems like the best way to keep up with the things I’m interested in. It looks like this new update puts whatever I follow on the “my homepage”, where it’s alphabetized and highlights unread items. And if you want to check out something you don’t follow, the search thingy seems to be working. But everyone seems to be using the site differently, so I could be completely off base with what you’re trying to do. 

I don't like to follow anything.  If there's a show I watch, I just find it in the list.  Sometimes I randomly pick comment threads of shows I've heard of but don't watch from the list as well.  It was a lot easier with just an alphabetical list.  Now I have to think about what genre the show might belong to.  It just seems unnecessarily broken up to me, but I'll get used to it, probably just in time for it to change again.

I liked Bif, even with the goofy name, so of course he's gone.  He should've bet more on that daily double in DJ.  Don't care for the new champ, although I couldn't tell you why.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I have never watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy.  I was completely clueless for FJ today, and I really wonder how the contestants all knew that.  Is that some common knowledge that I somehow missed out on?

I used to watch it, so it was an instaget for me.  I think if "Complications" made you think of a medical show, you might've realized Grey's Anatomy had been on for a long time, but I can see not knowing it.

11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Maybe one day I will know the difference between Upton Sinclair & Sinclair Lewis.

Last week at trivia, I totally confused myself and at first answered a question Lewis Sinclair.  But I did immediately realize I was wrong.  Heh, and neither one of them was the correct answer in the end. 

I thought Hepburn needed a BMS since there are 2 very famous actresses of that name, and the clue specified that the answer was an actress.  

I thought so too.  

• Love 3

Does anyone here watch Gray's Anatomy? The show's been on for 100 years, someone must watch it. Not any of us, apparently. Add me to the list of those who got FJ in spite of not being a fan. One of the few things I know about the show is that it's been on for, like, ever, and that's what the clue was looking for, so I went with it.

Since I was tiring of Bif, I wasn't sorry to see him go. He just plain got outplayed; if it wasn't for his hitting those DDs, it would have been a runaway for the new champ. The new guy seems a bit tightly wound, but he didn't bother me. Maybe he'll relax a bit for his second game. 

53 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Does anyone here watch Gray's Anatomy?

Raises her hand.  I really enjoy it. I guess I'll  have to consider it a guilty pleasure. And since this is the Jeopardy forum, I'll nit pick and tell you it is spelled "Grey's Anatomy."

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 2

Re: Sinclair Lewis v Upton Sinclair for "The Jungle"---A fact I found useful (and indeed used for this question) that I learned from the forums (though I don't recall the original poster). Remember: Upton Sinclair wrote "The JUngle" (i.e. jungle has a U, so pick the author with the U).

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Does anyone here watch Gray's Anatomy? The show's been on for 100 years, someone must watch it. Not any of us, apparently. Add me to the list of those who got FJ in spite of not being a fan. One of the few things I know about the show is that it's been on for, like, ever, and that's what the clue was looking for, so I went with it.

Since I was tiring of Bif, I wasn't sorry to see him go. He just plain got outplayed; if it wasn't for his hitting those DDs, it would have been a runaway for the new champ. The new guy seems a bit tightly wound, but he didn't bother me. Maybe he'll relax a bit for his second game. 

I used to watch it, but I think I stopped in year 2 or three. Usually I have break up issues and will admit to slipping back a few times after I quit,  but I really have never been tempted. I did, however, know things about the show just from reading blogs, magazines, etc. I am not even sure if any of the characters that were on when I was watching are still there. 

I did like Bif..I am wondering why so many people seem to last five shows anymore, or is it just me?  Some I am sad about, others I am so happy I won't see them again in a tournament!

• Love 1

Eric is impressive; he may break the "three game curse." I don't know why so few seem to make it to five games lately. Challengers must be getting better.

Tonight I knew annihilate, square root, and Captain Blood of the TS's. I got FJ from a vague memory of my college Shakespeare course, remembering the reference in The Tempest to the "still-vexed Bermoothes."

• Love 1

I think middle guy said "Marvin Martian" when it's actually "Marvin the Martian." I wouldn't have given it to him. (Unless I heard wrong, in which case, never mind.)

The lady's buzzer reach was so far, I was afraid she was going to hit the guy next to her.

• Love 5

I paid more attention tonight, and I agree -- the champ looks a LOT like Fred Willard! 

I did have to think about FJ for a second, and got it from the "650 miles off the coast" part of the clue. 

TS I got include annihilate, square roots, Captain Blood, and Conan.  Conan was a guess.

I heard middle guy say "Marvin Martian", too.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SHD said:

I think middle guy said "Marvin Martian" when it's actually "Marvin the Martian." I wouldn't have given it to him. (Unless I heard wrong, in which case, never mind.)

Yeah, he left out the "the."  I don’t watch many cartoons, but even I raised an eyebrow at that one.

I can’t believe square root was a TS! 

The contestant who missed the Captain Blood DD must be kicking herself, because it's so easy based on the clue -- they spot you captain and just ask you to know what sanguine references -- but if you don't know the book (as I didn't), you might think that's so easy it would be a dumb-ass guess and start trying to think of other words for captain instead, or do like she did and figure it was Captain [Something]blood.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, he left out the "the."  I don’t watch many cartoons, but even I raised an eyebrow at that one.

I'm not picky about that. (I guess the judges aren't either.) It's like accepting Smoky the Bear for Smoky Bear.

The contestant who missed the Captain Blood DD must be kicking herself, because it's so easy based on the clue -- they spot you captain and just ask you to know what sanguine references -- but if you don't know the book (as I didn't), you might think that's so easy it would be a dumb-ass guess and start trying to think of other words for captain instead, or do like she did and figure it was Captain [Something]blood.

Yes, she said Blueblood, which is actually what I said too, though I didn't think that was correct. I had forgotten about Captain Blood.

The only TS I got was Conan.

I keep getting Bermuda and the Bahamas mixed up. I went wrong tonight and said the Bahamas.

• Love 1

FJ was an instaget but I think that has more to do with the fact that my sister has been bitching about having to go on a cruise there with her in laws in a month (she dislikes both cruises and not being able to escape her in-laws)!

• Love 2

Ok in the Same Day category, the clue saying that “Roma” had its theatrical release and dropped on Netflix the same day is completely false. It was released in theaters for an exclusive three-week run on Nov 21, not on Dec 14 which is when it appeared on Netflix.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Ok in the Same Day category, the clue saying that “Roma” had its theatrical release and dropped on Netflix the same day is completely false. It was released in theaters for an exclusive three-week run on Nov 21, not on Dec 14 which is when it appeared on Netflix.

The clue said its main theatrical release was the same day, so if - and I'm too lazy tonight to look this up - it was released in select theatres earlier and later put into wide theatrical release on the same day as its Netflix debut, the clue isn't wrong.  (Again, I don't know; it's still on my "see before the Oscars" list.)

• Love 1

Another good game. The only TS I got was square root, and I missed FJ not realizing that Bermuda was 650 miles away from the US; thought it was closer.  Dr. Toothbrush guessed USVI.

4 hours ago, SHD said:

He left out the 'the' 

• Love 1

I'm surprised they didn't take "perfect squares" instead of Square roots.  Its the same concept, depending on which numbers you start with, and its not like that is an official calendar designation or an official name.  Its can't be, since you have to go by the abbreviated year, like "16", instead of "2016", for it to even work. They have overturned wrong answers before for much less.   Plus it makes more sense anyway.  The square root of 16 is just 4, not "4-4" as suggested by the date as written.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I ran the Bugs Bunny category.  Saturday mornings in the 70s were nothing but cartoons, and the Bugs Bunny / Road Runner Hour was the pinnacle of animation.

Same. I haven't watched cartoons since I was a kid, so I usually do terribly when a category of them comes up. This one was right up my alley. 

I had square roots, Captain Blood, and FJ immediately.  

I questioned the Marvin Martian response as well. I did a brief search and couldn't find him listed as anything other than Marvin the Martian. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, teebax said:

I questioned the Marvin Martian response as well. I did a brief search and couldn't find him listed as anything other than Marvin the Martian. 

Forget about the middle name of "The." By Jeopardy rules, "Martian" should have been sufficient as an answer since "Kennedy" has been accepted w/o acknowledging if they mean Jack, Bobby, Jackie, Ted, et.al.

So I'm good with the contestant giving both the first and last name of Mr. Martian, middle name be damned.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I immediately said, "Who is my sister-in-law's cat?"  Honestly, that cat hated me. My brother & his wife & cat lived next door to our family home & Carmen's cat, named Nicodemus, would come running in to our house, run into my bedroom, take a swipe at me, draw blood, & go dashing out the door again. I called him "Captain Blood."

I don't like Eric because of the smiley-face-dotted "i" in Eric.  Grow up, sir.

• Love 3

Am I the only one who has never heard of "Captain Blood"?

Alrighty then.

4 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't like Eric because of the smiley-face-dotted "i" in Eric.

I save myself a lot of angst by not looking much at the teevee when this show is on.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I keep getting Bermuda and the Bahamas mixed up. I went wrong tonight and said the Bahamas.

This was me - my thought process was "Bahamas! Wait, no, the other one .... uh.... B....ermuda. Right? Bermuda. I think." I am just lucky I didn't think of Barbados, haha.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The ship was going from England to Jamestown, VA so it had to be an island in the Atlantic. Anything in the Caribbean or southern Atlantic makes no sense.

Yes of course, but getting FJ right entails knowing which island is where. I probably wouldn't have as much trouble keeping them straight if they both didn't begin with B.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

The ship was going from England to Jamestown, VA so it had to be an island in the Atlantic. Anything in the Caribbean or southern Atlantic makes no sense.

Only if you can steer a ship build in 1600 through a hurricane. Maybe you can but I sure cannot. They were lucky they hit Bermuda or they would have ended up in the Bahamas. Or in the drink, as the pirates (Captain Blood!) say.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That got the side eye from me & I was fully prepared to not like him because of it, but all in all I like him.  And I've probably just jinxed him. 

I'm a geography dunce so knew that my hubby's guess of US Virgin Islands was incorrect since they are in the Caribbean, but that was as far as I got 😜

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, rubaco said:

I spent the entire 30-second think music complaining to my cats (with normal names, ha) that FJ was way too easy. And then it ended up being a TS! Are you kidding me?

Toddler Jeopardy level? Dr. Seuss (fun fact: he apparently hated children) isn't even considered a poet!! Sure, he wrote stuff that rhymed, but that does not make him a poet. I, too, thought that is was blatantly obvious it was TS Eliot---perhaps, had the clue said "his cats" instead of "his pets" they may have gotten it, but I'm not so sure. 

• Love 1

We were surprised FJ was a TS. My husband has to write a quarterly article for our sailing association magazine. Last year he wrote an article titled "The Naming of Boats". The article was inspired by "The Naming of Cats", which he referenced. 

I knew it referred to Cats, but I couldn't think of the author to save my life.

I've read about the shipwreck, Bermuda, etc., but at Jamestown Settlement, there's a map that shows the route of the 1607 voyage, and for personal reasons, I thought of Dominica, and I could not think of Bermuda after that.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, opus said:

🎵Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama🎵

I tried to click a Like AND a Laugh at this but this site will not allow me to do both. So I'll do it here. *heart* Ha ha ha ha, good one.

8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Consider this: He put the smiley dot on his i as a tribute to and to say "Hi" to his younger sister who is in hospice and not expected to live much beyond his stint on Jeopardy. He only appeared on the show because she insisted he go and not give up his chance because of her.

Feel guilty yet?

We were surprised FJ was a TS. My husband has to write a quarterly article for our sailing association magazine. Last year he wrote an article titled "The Naming of Boats". The article was inspired by "The Naming of Cats", which he referenced. 

Well yeah, if I were writing for a sailing magazine and had done that article, FJ would have been a no-brainer for me, too. I'll be back at ya when FJ is about dog shows or antique tractors since I write articles for those magazines. IEWYKI.

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Toddler Jeopardy level? I, too, thought that is was blatantly obvious it was TS Eliot---perhaps, had the clue said "his cats" instead of "his pets" they may have gotten it, but I'm not so sure. 

Everyone here who knows Eliot had cats as pets raise their hand ...

*crickets*

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Because of the weird FJ names I immediately thought of Rabbie Burns, but the names were not weird enough. So I went with the guy who wrote Jabberwocky and settled on Lewis. Feel free to point and laugh because Lewis wasn't a poet either.

I've never seen Cats and wouldn't have remembered the cats' names if I had, so the same-named felines mean nothing to me.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Well, give me an asterisk!

You got it, Babe!

Meanwhile, Trebek hijacks an interesting personal story about geocaching (which is quite fun) and takes all the time to tell us his kids use the GPS app on their phones. Like that's some big huge discovery equal to life was just discovered on Mars. WTH Trebek, even I know cars and phones can give spoken driving directions, they've been doing it for maybe a decade now, dumbass.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4