Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I always get confused between Goodyear, BF Goodrich, and Firestone. Luckily, I chose the right one.

I know we like to mock the giant pendants, but I thought Amanda's jewelry was stunning, especially that she made it herself with a single stitch. I'm impressed. And I'm glad smiley-face-i is gone, too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I had no clue about Brownsville - I didn't even know it was a town, much less a town in Texas. The only one I could think of on the border was El Paso, and that clearly wasn't it. It has that generic town name - xyzville. Those don't stick with me without additional reasons to remember them. And as for the border news - I follow it, but I only read the news, so I skim to get to the salient details.

When I was in grade school, my grandparents spent winters in Weslaco, Texas.  When I was in 5th grade, we drove down (from Kansas) to visit them, and we went to the market in Matamoros, crossing at Brownsville into Mexico.  But I didn't think of Brownsville as the answer to the question.

• Love 2

I won't say I disliked him, I just never connected to him.  I don't listen to the interviews, so what story did he tell? I thought he was lucky to make it through the other day, so I was not really surprised that he lost. I do want to know if they have ever had so few 5 time winners that they had to include 4 time winners in the Tournament of Champions? 

On 2/15/2019 at 10:30 PM, Bastet said:

Eric saying warrant for subpoena is something he won't live down at work anytime soon.  (The wrong president answer was on its face sillier, but he was flummoxed and just throwing out something he knew was wrong before time ran out.  Warrant, he believed was right.)

The problem is the clue was written terribly.  A subpoena is used to bring witnesses or documents to court, not defendants.  The only thing that universally brings defendants to court is a warrant.  (There are non-custodial methods, but they aren't called subpoenas either.)  So although warrant didn't fit the Latin word origin, it did fit what was actually described, and the "correct" answer was wrong.  It didn't change the game, but if he had argued the clue was inaccurate, I think he would have succeeded.  Can contestants do that?  Not just say my answer also fits, but that the clue is factually wrong?

I got Reagan from knowing his birthday.  There are a lot of presidents born in February, and since he was in office when I was in school learning these things, his birthday has stuck with me.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 1

Rachel is from Syracuse, therefore I must root for her.  Good wagering!

The clip of Buzzy they showed made me irritated.  Please stop it.

Ford’s Theatre as a $2000 clue was absurd!

H.P. Lovecraft was my immediate first thought for FJ and I don’t even know if he was British or how old he was.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

I could have stood there all night, and never come up with H.G. Wells.  My brain went to Tolkien, though I figured it was wrong. 

Lots of TS tonight!  I got neonatal, speedy, Norton Anthology, lyre, The Maine, and desert.  Don't they use the Norton Anthology any more?

I like the new champ, but I also liked the old champ's necklace tonight, too.

• Love 3

I thought FJ was easy. However, I struggled with some of the clues during this game that the contestants knew. 

I did have neonatal, humane, speedy, lyre, Gaza strip, the Maine, and Punic Wars.

When I had my audition, on January 17, they'd just finished taping the All Star games. I'm surprised they're airing already. 

• Love 4

I felt like today's contestants weren't the most well-rounded. Either that or they really just hit bad categories for them. There seemed to be a lot of either TSs or wrong guesses. Of course they're still 10x better than me. Though I did get FJ on a wild guess.

• Love 1

I easily got runcible spoon based on my favorite poem, The Owl and the Pussycat:

"They dined on mince, and slices of quince, Which they ate with a runcible spoon;"

I love that poem. In college I created a 3D boat (pea green, of course) holding an owl and cat, and the poem was on the sail. (Art college guys)

Anyway. There were tons of TSs today. I got neonatal, humane, speedy (trial), rotor, Maine (remember?), then drifted off so didn't write down the others.

Rachel did get TWO GFYs though, so *drink/drink*

You posters who are wizards about how to bet FJ had a great day today, hey?

Oh yeah: Monday must be my best brain day since H.G. Wells came to me immediately and would not leave. I did not think he was born that long ago, but I read later that he died in 1946 so he did live ALMOST to "our time."

• Love 7

I was out on Friday so I didn't see Amanda but I had to root for her tonight since we share a first name and she's from two suburbs west of me.  So I probably doomed her.  Sorry Amanda! 

H.G. Wells was an instaget for me from the Shakespeare of science fiction in the clue and a reference to him in an early Murdoch Mysteries I saw recently which cemented the time frame for me.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

H.P. Lovecraft was my immediate first thought for FJ and I don’t even know if he was British or how old he was.

He was American, born in Providence, RI. His home is a famous local site, along with Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design.

I got many of the TS's already mentioned, plus lyre. I did come up with H.G. Wells, though the first names that came to mind were Asimov and Verne. I know Wells mainly from the movie Time After Time.

• Love 3

The Bill of Rights category was left over from a teen tournament, right? 

I thought it was an on-the-easier-side-of-the-show's-average game overall, so quite a few of the TS were surprising.

I hated the wording of the Puerto Rico clue; way to perpetuate the disturbingly prevalent erroneous belief that it's a foreign country.

• Love 6

My brain kind of simultaneously said Isaac Asimov, Jules Verne, and HG Wells, then I ruled out the first two (too young, too French).

There was a surprising TS, which I forgot the instant I deleted the episode from my DVR... sigh.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Fex said:

There was a surprising TS, which I forgot the instant I deleted the episode from my DVR... sigh.

Gaza Strip?  Neonatal?  Humane, as the next clue in the animals category (not even a guess, with the not "Society" clue within the clue)?  Speedy (trial)?  Norton (Anthology)?  Rotor(craft)?  The Maine?  Desert Inn?  Flemish? 

I know that's not even all of them; the contestants were frequently stumped tonight, and many of them were surprising.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Gaza Strip?  Neonatal?  Humane, as the next clue in the animals category (not even a guess, with the not "Society" clue within the clue)?  Speedy (trial)?  Norton (Anthology)?  Rotor(craft)?  The Maine?  Desert Inn?  Flemish? 

I know that's not even all of them; the contestants were frequently stumped tonight, and many of them were surprising.

Flemish! Thank you. You're right, there were a few surprising ts, but Flemish really stood out to me. The Netherlands doesn't have that many borders!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Fex said:

Flemish! Thank you. You're right, there were a few surprising ts, but Flemish really stood out to me. The Netherlands doesn't have that many borders!

I thought speedy was the surprising TS. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I thought speedy was the surprising TS. 

Me too.  I was expecting a three-way battle to ring in on that one and couldn't understand why no one was, lol.

I was brought up on The Owl and the Pussycat, so runcible spoon was an insta-get for me.  Although I was thinking, "Ogden Nash, people. Ogden Nash!" when it was Edward Lear.

HG Wells was the only pre-1900 sci fi writer I could think of.  No judgment on the answers they gave, but I was surprised no one got it right.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Brookside said:

It's sad that none of them knew the runcible spoon clue.

And another tragic signature, DouG.

I knew it only because there was a restaurant/coffee house with that name in the town where I went to college

And also just by the process of elimination, only so many eating utensils there are to guess

Knew FJ.  Mostly based on the year. 

Asimov is not only the wrong century but the wrong nationality, but I am sure she was just guessing.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I said Lovecraft too - despite the fact I knew it was wrong. Wells didn't come to my mind, though he should have. I figure it was like a Google search, my brain typed "H." and in finished it with "G. Lovecraft"

12 hours ago, teebax said:

I did have neonatal, humane, speedy, lyre, Gaza strip, the Maine, and Punic Wars.

I never remember the Punic Wars. I always go for the other "P" war. sigh.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I love that poem. In college I created a 3D boat (pea green, of course) holding an owl and cat, and the poem was on the sail. (Art college guys)

Glad you added that end comment. 😉

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instead of rotorcraft, my brain went to whirlybird.

Whirlybird! That is a word from my past. "But Daddy, Whirlybird is on!"

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I said Lovecraft too - despite the fact I knew it was wrong. Wells didn't come to my mind, though he should have. I figure it was like a Google search, my brain typed "H." and in finished it with "G. Lovecraft

😄 Our brains are being infected with tech. It's a virus. This is how the computers take over the world.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

So many really easy questions last night.  Like, what does AI stand for. 

My ts's were speedy, Lebanon, Maine, and Desert.  I said autogyro for the helicopter question.

I knew FJ was the person who wrote The Time Machine but it took a couple more seconds to get H. G. Wells.

On ‎02‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:10 PM, saber5055 said:

Is Trebek the only human in the United States who has never heard of nor knows how to pronounce Livonia, that city in Michigan? Good god, I couldn't even recognize what city he was talking about until the player said it correctly.

No.  I'd never heard of the city before.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, teebax said:

I thought speedy was the surprising TS

Indeed! In fact, I would have thought everyone has heard of a "speedy trial"---the fact that it was also "public" is the part that would have stumped me ("a right to a blank and speedy trial").

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Whirlybird! That is a word from my past. "But Daddy, Whirlybird is on!"

I know! Same here! I never would have remembered that TV show, but now I have to look it up and refresh my brain. You know, in case it shows up on Jeopardy some day.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I know! Same here! I never would have remembered that TV show, but now I have to look it up and refresh my brain. You know, in case it shows up on Jeopardy some day.

I wasn't even sure that was the name of the show. It's only a memory because my parents loved to tell the tale. So, a second hand memory.

From www.merriam-webster.com: runcible spoon. noun.

run·ci·ble spoon | \ ˈrən(t)-sə-bəl- \

Definition of runcible spoon: a sharp-edged fork with three broad curved prongs.

First known use of runcible spoon: 1926, in the meaning defined above.

History and etymology for runcible spoon: coined with an obscure meaning by Edward Lear.

This photo is very close to the runcible spoon my mother had and showed me so I would know what one was. She is the one who taught me The Owl and the Pussycat. So I'm chosing her opinion over anyone else's. It's big, like a serving spoon, with three tines that are broad and sort of fancy.

runcibleSpoon.jpg.8203bc060588e187d6c31379a1251019.jpg

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I wasn't even sure that was the name of the show. It's only a memory because my parents loved to tell the tale.

It's only a memory for me, too, but "Whirlybirds" jogged at my brain so I looked it up. It was on from 1957 to 1960.

It was a real show!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Trebek opens the show by telling us he's been accused of making the last two FJs so difficult so as to save payout money for the Tournament. LMAO since I've gotten the last two FJs and I'm below Toddler Level.

What was with Trebek detouring the contestant telling us about her trip to Victoria Falls to ask if she saw any crocodiles. WTH was that about any way? It was a real "DUH" moment for me.

So Festivus is a real holiday now? Who knew. Congratulations Frank Costanza.

LOL that the Alex category was the last one chosen.

Got the TS of Lhasa (thank you sacred dog of the Himalayas) and the DD/TS of McCoys. I think the player who missed that DD had brain freeze and is hating herself for it now.

I saw the FJ category and thought, "Well, I'm screwed." Then it turned out to be Toddler Level. I know because my toddler brain got it easily. Wonders ... never cease!

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instead of rotorcraft, my brain went to whirlybird.

Me too!  There’s an early one in Goodland Kansas, but I haven’t seen it.

Two FJs in a row for me this week, too.

So the new contest starts tomorrow.  I’m expecting it to be fun, but we’ll see.

• Love 2

Broadway Musicals would be one of my dream categories but I would worry I would fall and go boom if I were on the show.  That being said, I was thinking MFL was a very easy one to get from the clue - all you had to do was sing the song - but then the poor champion obviously sang the wrong song and picked the wrong lyric.  Poor girl.

Edited by Grundoon59
Because she sang Ring around Rosy instead of London Bridge.
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I saw the FJ category and thought, "Well, I'm screwed." Then it turned out to be Toddler Level. I know because my toddler brain got it easily. Wonders ... never cease!

I know, right, like literally toddler level. As in, which of these two nursery rhymes contains the answer...

• Love 2

Yeah, I missed FJ and there's no reason other than while I was trying to get through the nursery rhyme, Fergie's "London Bridge" kept popping into my head.

I thought there were whole categories that were ridiculously easy. The crossword clues one and the eating verbs were way too simple.

• Love 5

I had to sing the song, but I got FJ!  I also got McCoy and The Negro League.

And we got at least one GFY, and one boo, hiss from Alex.

Agreed that the categories and clues seemed easy -- Glinda as a DD?  I'm surprised they didn't show a photo.

• Love 4