Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Thursday TS were Iraq, bluebird (the only way I could maybe understand this being a TS is if the video had been in b+w), Pompeii & Herculaneum, Delores; FJ was easy once I did the math, but without that part of the clue I never would have gotten it. 

Friday TS were Thomas Paine (Josh's DD), Cologne, sun, clothing, hurt, Carol Mosley Braun. FJ was easy, but I totally sucked at Drop It.

Bif sure got lucky Friday!

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At first, I thought it was a stupid affectation, and then I realized he was responding in the form of a question, so I changed my mind and liked the guy.

If I were to ever be a contestant, I would absolutely write my name in the form of a question. Who is Toothbrush? 

10 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Having to go two days without reading the J! comments before going to work was very disorienting. Glad things are back to normal!

Right? I always browse PTV when I need a mental break from work. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

If I were to ever be a contestant, I would absolutely write my name in the form of a question. Who is Toothbrush? 

That would be funny.  Josh?, without the Who is, was just annoying.  That said, I'm a bit surprised he's the first to have appended a question mark to his name.  Or has that happened before?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Right? I always browse PTV when I need a mental break from work. 

What was worse, for me, was that I was home sick and couldn't get to the forums to while away the little time I was awake. 😞 But I'm all better now, and I really like the new features.

• Love 3
On 2/9/2019 at 12:30 AM, Sharpie66 said:

Really bummed that no one got Carol—she is an icon for an Illinoisan like me!

I recognized Carol Mosley Braun but got stuck on her name so started thinking of the name of a friend of mine who showed her dog, then what kind of dog it was ... then ... TIME'S UP!

*sigh*

Edited by saber5055
18 hours ago, Brookside said:

Dobermann was named after original German breeder, who was called (wait for it) Karl Dobermann.  In North America the second en is dropped.

I beg to differ. Yes, the AKC recognizes/registers the Doberman breed, one en. But consider the Vita Nova Dobermann Club based in Darlington, Pa.; the Working Dobermanns of the Carolinas club based in White Plains, Va.; and the Golden West Dobermann Club centered in Las Vegas. The Vita Nova Dobermann Club is hosting the United Doberman Club's 2019 National Specialty in Atwater, Ohio on May 15-19. If anyone is interested in attending, just PM me. There will be lots of working Doberman/ns there.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I beg to differ. Yes, the AKC recognizes/registers the Doberman breed, one en. But consider the Vita Nova Dobermann Club based in Darlington, Pa.; the Working Dobermanns of the Carolinas club based in White Plains, Va.; and the Golden West Dobermann Club centered in Las Vegas. The Vita Nova Dobermann Club is hosting the United Doberman Club's 2019 National Specialty in Atwater, Ohio on May 15-19. If anyone is interested in attending, just PM me. There will be lots of working Doberman/ns there.

Thanks for the info - you obviously know much more about Dobermen (sic) than I do!

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 8:21 PM, saber5055 said:

It's also not that odd to commute via bike in a city. I did it for years when I worked for the feds. It was exhilarating to fly by all that stopped traffic on my bike, and I got home faster than if I drove my car. So, STFU about that, too, Trebek.

I think it's crazy in the winter.  I know someone who did that, and I thought he was crazy too.

• Love 2
On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 12:43 AM, Bastet said:

Oy, I don't do well with change.

But, before the forum changes short-circuit my brain so that I can't remember anything about the previous two games ...

I think the new format is terrible.  I don't want to have to figure which type of show I'm looking for - alphabetically made sense but this new thing does not.

So, on to Jeopardy.  I was confused by the Germany question, since it does seem to share SEA borders with more than the UK and Sweden, but the other countries also share LAND borders with it as well, so I guess they were looking for sea borders only.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 3:30 PM, Sharpie66 said:

Bif’s not bad—he’s a vast improvement over the last champ.

I saw a great Taming of the Shrew at the Globe in 2012. They had Bianca be as much of a bitch to Kate as the usual other way around, just sneakier about it, which had everyone in the audience go, “Oooohhh!” when that was revealed. Got Kate instant sympathy from everyone. 

I usually do well with Shakespeare, but although I've seen Taming of the Shrew once (Josie Lawrence as Kate at the RSC theatre in Stratford in 1995), I'm not familiar with most of it.  So I'd have bet big on the category and then pulled a Clavin and had no answer at all.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 9:29 PM, lb60 said:

<waits to be told her gifs are annoying>

The gifs themselves aren't annoying, but the placement on the page is because they cover up part of the post.  Not your fault, LB60, just part of this terrible format design.

This is what I did: Go up to your icon and click on the down arrow next to your name. Select Manage Followed Content. The default is by show and you can change it to Forums for a list of shows you follow with busier threads, like Jeopardy. You can sort the order by most recent reply. Then bookmark the page with the list of Forums you follow.

Edited by ABay
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

The gifs themselves aren't annoying, but the placement on the page is because they cover up part of the post.

The gifs don't cover any part of the posts in my browser but I find it irritating that once I activate the gif, I can't turn it off. On other websites, clicking the gif again will stop the action. Maybe some of you wizards can help with that? The gifs will stop once I leave the page, meaning I close that page/tab, then reopen it.

Solution: I don't activate the gif, I just admire the graphics.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ABay said:

This is what I did: Go up to your icon and click on the down arrow next to your name. Select Manage Followed Content. The default is by show and you can change it to Forums for a list of shows you follow with busier threads, like Jeopardy. You can sort the order by most recent reply. Then bookmark the page with the list of Forums you follow.

Unfortunately that only works for shows you follow, and I don't want to follow anything; I just find the list really clumsy the new way.  I realize they're not changing it back, and I'll get used to it eventually, but this was the first time I've seen it since the redo, and I wanted to whinge about it a little. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

So, on to Jeopardy.  I was confused by the Germany question, since it does seem to share SEA borders with more than the UK and Sweden, but the other countries also share LAND borders with it as well, so I guess they were looking for sea borders only. 

Yep:  "Germany has land borders with 9 countries and only maritime boundaries with 2 countries, the U.K. and this one across the Baltic"

18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Unfortunately that only works for shows you follow, and I don't want to follow anything; I just find the list really clumsy the new way.  I realize they're not changing it back, and I'll get used to it eventually, but this was the first time I've seen it since the redo, and I wanted to whinge about it a little. 

Ah, well, that does make it unpleasant. I was going to say my home page is nice, and alphabetical.

If you have forums you regularly read but don't want to follow, you could bookmark them. That's what I do for review sites so I don't have to dig for the reviews. 

Totally get the whinging. This is a rare change that I actually like. Usually I grumble a lot.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yep:  "Germany has land borders with 9 countries and only maritime boundaries with 2 countries, the U.K. and this one across the Baltic"

What about Denmark and Norway?  Am I missing something?

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

43 minutes ago, Brookside said:

What about Denmark and Norway?  Am I missing something?

25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It shares a land border with Denmark as well, and no border with Norway.

It certainly doesn't share a land border with the UK!

15 minutes ago, Brookside said:

It certainly doesn't share a land border with the UK!

I know, that's the other of the two maritime boundary-only countries.  The clue gave that one, and asked for the other one, which is Sweden.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I know, that's the other maritime border-only country.  The clue gave that one, and asked for the other one, which is Sweden.

Still confused.  What about Norway?

Feel free to ignore me at this point.  I think I'd better go for a nap.

I blame it all on the new site set up.

• Love 1

Denmark also has a land border with Germany so it was in that group.  As to Norway, DS and I looked at the map and figured that Norway was too far north for their maritime border to be that far south - ie, there is part of the sea between Germany and Norway that doesn't belong to any country - or maybe belongs to Sweden.

UK maritime border must extend quite a ways east to meet up with Germany's western maritime border.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Still confused.  What about Norway?

Germany has no border - sea or land - with Norway.  Across the Baltic from Germany is Sweden and Denmark (with which it also has a land border, which is why the clue specified maritime-only). 

If the island parts of Denmark didn't exist, there would be a little section of eastern Norway that would be across the Baltic from Germany; maybe that's what you're thinking of? 

UK maritime border must extend quite a ways east to meet up with Germany's western maritime border.

Looking at a map of the maritime boundaries for that area, it looks like the part where Germany's meets the UK's is pretty small.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Just curious, but is there a reason you wouldn’t want to follow something? For me, that seems like the best way to keep up with the things I’m interested in. It looks like this new update puts whatever I follow on the “my homepage”, where it’s alphabetized and highlights unread items. And if you want to check out something you don’t follow, the search thingy seems to be working. But everyone seems to be using the site differently, so I could be completely off base with what you’re trying to do. 

• Love 1

I have never watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy.  I was completely clueless for FJ today, and I really wonder how the contestants all knew that.  Is that some common knowledge that I somehow missed out on?  Not an auspicious start to the week in any event.

And I only got two TS -- Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and kente.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I have never watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy.  I was completely clueless for FJ today, and I really wonder how the contestants all knew that.  Is that some common knowledge that I somehow missed out on?  Not an auspicious start to the week in any event.

And I only got two TS -- Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and kente.

I've never watched an episode either. I just tried to think of a long running ABC show. Before I saw the 15 years I thought Scandal. There haven't been many shows on that long. GA popped into my head and Complications fit in with a medical theme, so I went with it.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I have never watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy.

Neither have I, but it was an instaget for me.  I have a lot of useless (although not if I was a contestant on tonight's show) TV info stored in my noggin.

Fear was my only other get and that was a complete guess.

New champ needs to relax his shoulders.

• Love 4

I swear I heard Biff answer "hydrophonics" (with an eff sound) instead of "hydroponics" but I guess not.

Sorry to see Bif go. The new champ sure got a gloaty look on his face when he saw Bif's wager, even though he had bet enough to beat him by one dollar if Bif had bet it all. Bye Bif, you were another victim of the three-day-champ exhaustion.

I have been doing great on Monday/Tuesday FJs, and today was another IG for me. I thought a bit about the network, then what show had been on that long. I was kinda surprised GA has been on 15 years although I knew it had been on one long time. I watched it religiously for the first several years, it was my favorite show ever. Then after ... well, things started changing ... I stopped and haven't been back.

All of us bought a copy of Gray's Anatomy for our freshman anatomy classes so I always appreciated the snark with the show's title. The GA illustrations are the best!

11 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Apparently I live under a rock. 

LOL! Just this morning I was thinking about me living under a rock! Seriously! So, "Howdy neighbor."

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

My only TS get was Tess of the Daubervilles. I haven't seen Grey's Anatomy but guessed it from the clue. 

Eric must have felt comfortable with the category. Congrats to him on impressive win and defeating a solid champion. 

• Love 3

I guessed Grey's Anatomy from the category alone - been a while since I have managed that!

I don't watch it either, but it's a very well-known, popular and long-running prime time show. Also, once the clue was revealed, "complications" sounded like it could be referring to something medical. I have seen a few episodes from about ten years ago, and gave it up because it was wayyy too much drama, so "complications" seemed to fit.

• Love 5

When she was younger (about 6 or so), my sister's best friend's daughter asked: "Mom, what's Gray's Anatory?" after seeing a commercial for it. This was over a decade ago and I still think it was cute. I got it and wow, that show has been on for a long time like NCIS, the Simpsons, and Law and Order: SVU. I first typed SUV before changing it. 

• Love 2

Tess of the D’Ubervilles was a very surprising TS; whether they’d ever read it or not, I figure Thomas Hardy plus “title girl” would lead the average contestant right to it.

The vegetarians & vegans category belonged in the first round.

FJ was quite close to an instaget, even though I’ve never seen an episode; “complications” led me immediately to a hospital drama, and while I didn’t know for sure if Grey's Anatomy was still on, or what network it's on, it was the only current long-running show in that genre I could think of, so I was confident in the guess.

What a big win for the new champ.

• Love 3

Two contestants each over $20K going into FJ is pretty rare.  Previous champ wagered well:  he completely blocked out the third person and would've won had the new champ missed.  There was no stopping the new champ, though.  He's a machine.

• Love 3

I got Death in Venice and Tess of the D'Ubervilles. Both seemed obvious to me.

I got FJ right, too, but I wasn't confident. I didn't think Grey's Anatomy had been on that long -- I've never watched it either -- and although I saw the name "Complications" as referring to relationships, the medical meaning never occurred to me. Duh.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

although I saw the name "Complications" as referring to relationships, the medical meaning never occurred to me. Duh.

I'm sure it was proposed as a title because of the double meaning -- complications being associated with medical conditions, which works for a hospital drama, but also with relationships, and I think it's one of those shows where everyone is entangled with everyone else, having sex at work, etc.

• Love 1

Wow, that was a really good game! Hardly any TS, and I don’t even think Alex had to call the one-minute warning in either round. 

Never saw Grey’s Anatomy (though I used to read the recaps on TwoP) but I came up with the right answer in time.

• Love 1

Good game! 

TS I got were Tess of the D'Urbervilles & fear. Grey's Anatomy was the only ABC show I could think of that has been on for that long, but I honestly didn't have a whole lot of confidence that I was correct.

Eric gets a GFY 🍹 from me for answering the Upton Sinclair clue correctly. Maybe one day I will know the difference between Upton Sinclair & Sinclair Lewis.

I thought Hepburn needed a BMS since there are 2 very famous actresses of that name, and the clue specified that the answer was an actress.  

• Love 18
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I swear I heard Biff answer "hydrophonics" (with an eff sound) instead of "hydroponics" but I guess not.

Sorry to see Bif go. The new champ sure got a gloaty look on his face when he saw Bif's wager, even though he had bet enough to beat him by one dollar if Bif had bet it all. Bye Bif, you were another victim of the three-day-champ exhaustion.

I have been doing great on Monday/Tuesday FJs, and today was another IG for me. I thought a bit about the network, then what show had been on that long. I was kinda surprised GA has been on 15 years although I knew it had been on one long time. I watched it religiously for the first several years, it was my favorite show ever. Then after ... well, things started changing ... I stopped and haven't been back.

All of us bought a copy of Gray's Anatomy for our freshman anatomy classes so I always appreciated the snark with the show's title. The GA illustrations are the best!

LOL! Just this morning I was thinking about me living under a rock! Seriously! So, "Howdy neighbor."

I was too busy gloating loudly that I'd precalled "hydroponics" that I djdn't hear how he pronounced it.

I watched Gray's at first and loved it too. I stopped and started it up again a couple of times. But it's been years since I watched.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got Death in Venice and Tess of the D'Ubervilles. Both seemed obvious to me.

I got FJ right, too, but I wasn't confident. I didn't think Grey's Anatomy had been on that long -- I've never watched it either -- and although I saw the name "Complications" as referring to relationships, the medical meaning never occurred to me. Duh.

I didn't get the connection either, which while I was pretty sure I knew it was Gray's - I waffled a little before saying it.

7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Eric gets a GFY 🍹 from me for answering the Upton Sinclair clue correctly. Maybe one day I will know the difference between Upton Sinclair & Sinclair Lewis.

I thought Hepburn needed a BMS since there are 2 very famous actresses of that name, and the clue specified that the answer was an actress.  

Generally I mistake Sinclair Lewis for Upton Sinclair (The Jungle is a book that has stayed with me). At least with Upton, you can just say Sinclair and it's right.

I'd forgotten about Katherine Hepburn - maybe it was the context of the clue, which I forget. But I think you're right, a BMS should have been required.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I'd forgotten about Katherine Hepburn - maybe it was the context of the clue, which I forget. But I think you're right, a BMS should have been required.

It wouldn't be Jeopardy! without nitpicking--it's Katharine Hepburn (with an a in the middle, not an e).  The clue was about Audrey Hepburn's husband, and I was going to say that Katharine was never married.  But looking it up, I find to my surprise that she was briefly married in her early twenties.  Anyway, I agree that a BMS would have been appropriate.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm sure it was proposed as a title because of the double meaning -- complications being associated with medical conditions, which works for a hospital drama, but also with relationships, and I think it's one of those shows where everyone is entangled with everyone else, having sex at work, etc.

Yes, I get the double meaning NOW, but the medical meaning went completely over my head.

9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Good game! 

TS I got were Tess of the D'Urbervilles & fear. Grey's Anatomy was the only ABC show I could think of that has been on for that long, but I honestly didn't have a whole lot of confidence that I was correct.

I thought both needed a BMS. I admit I wasn't sure if it was Sinclair Lewis or Upton Sinclair, so when he said Sinclair I still wasn't sure. I mean, yes, you say the last name, but so many people confuse the two men that I think a BMS would have been good.

• Love 2

Quite a game

Gotta hand it to Bif for going all out on the DD to stay in the game, but came up short in the end. 

I knew FJ, never watched Grey's but it made sense based on the clue.  Actually I didn't realize it was still on

Agree "Hepburn" needed a BMS. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

It wouldn't be Jeopardy! without nitpicking--it's Katharine Hepburn (with an a in the middle, not an e).  The clue was about Audrey Hepburn's husband, and I was going to say that Katharine was never married.  But looking it up, I find to my surprise that she was briefly married in her early twenties.  Anyway, I agree that a BMS would have been appropriate.

Go ahead and nit pick. That's basically my day job, so I can appreciate it. 😊