Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I actually managed to get FJ right!  It was a total guess -- well, maybe not a total guess, but I really didn't think it was right.  I think because I've been looking at Iceland, Norway and Svalbard (for a future trip!), Norway, Finland, and Sweden popped into my head, and I chose the right one. 

I didn't get the "diamonds" and "pipes" thing, either.

Not sorry to see Will go.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't get the "diamonds" and "pipes" thing, either.

This blog from a diamond company has a brief description of diamond pipe mining: "diamond-bearing earth is extracted from the ground through the use of volcanic pipes, which are natural underground channels."

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

It's also not that odd to commute via bike in a city. I did it for years when I worked for the feds. It was exhilarating to fly by all that stopped traffic on my bike, and I got home faster than if I drove my car. So, STFU about that, too, Trebek.

I know people who commute by bike in the city, some long distances. In winter they use knobby tires for traction in the snow.

• Love 7

As a Jewish woman who has marked close to 100 Passover seders,  I can do the plagues in Hebrew and English in my sleep.  In fact, when my kids were little, they did a frog song . "One morning when Pharaoh woke in his bed,  there were frogs on his toes and frogs on his head...."

I often thought we had a tough pr sell with Passover compared to Easter.  Chocolate, bunnies and chicks, or matzah, blood, lice, boils and dead first borns. Oy! But I did sweep the category!

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've been looking at Iceland, Norway and Svalbard (for a future trip!)

I looked at the map to see how far wrong I was with my not-Sweden FJ guess and saw Svalbard for the first time ever. And I thought, WTH is Svalbard? You have to go so you can tell me about it @Browncoat.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

I did better on Women of the Bible than I expected

I did not, but I did do much better on the composers category than I expected.

1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

Loved the Independent Bookstore category. 

Same here; I pre-called several of them when the category was announced.

The Kennedy clue amounting to "identify the family shown here" was my eye roll for the night.

I'm good at geography in that part of the world, so FJ was an instaget for me.

• Love 1

I'd like to thank the city of Woonsocket because that was my only get tonight.  I figured FJ had to be one of three countries, I initially said Norway, then went wayyyyyyyy off course. I suck at geography.

On 2/5/2019 at 8:41 PM, lb60 said:

I still don't like Will.  

Uhhhh, I mean I love Will.  Hope he stays forever and ever.  ;-)

Quoting myself because it looks like my evil plan worked. Muhahahahahahahaha!!!

On 2/6/2019 at 2:51 PM, saber5055 said:

Back when I was in grade and middle school, it was courtesy to let others borrow your comb, a practice that was frowned upon, and now I know why: those little arthropods!

Ack!

<scratches>

Hat day is always a fun day at school.  Not!

On 2/6/2019 at 8:21 PM, saber5055 said:

Trebek, it's really not polite to laugh at a contestant's name.

.....during his stint on F Troop.

But, but, but his name is Bif.  

I loved F Troop.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 3

I got mock and The Checkers Speech.

Instead of Dutch apple pie, I said French. I'll have to look at the clue again to see if I'm wrong.

My geography knowledge sucks. I said Finland because I was picturing Germany being much farther east, and because of my mnemonic -- Non-Sufficient Funds -- I knew that Finland was eastern-most. 

1 minute ago, Brookside said:

Who names their child (or themselves) Bif?  It's like a kids' cartoon character.  And another lifetime of spelling the name for people - "Just one f."

Answer: Check out Back to the Future, dudes! And for fans of The Bachelor, who can forget "One Eff Jef?" He was famous!

See, there is a reason for everything. Including Bif, who is a Jeopardy Champion. So go ahead and laugh, losers!

• Love 1

I went with Finland, darn it. My Swedish grandfather would be disappointed in me.

Powell’s is a great store! I’ve been there twice and had to restrain my buying both times.

Weird coincidence—I just saw that painting of the Hapsburg king over the weekend on an art history documentary on YouTube. All that inbreeding caused that distinctive face.

Edited by Sharpie66

A couple of things annoyed me about Bif, but I like that when he finally decided which clue to choose he used a shorthand way of requesting it. 

TS I got were mock apple pie & diamonds. I luckily enough guessed FJ correctly, and pre-guessed that Powell's would be an answer in the Independent Bookstores category. 

2 hours ago, lb60 said:

Quoting myself because it looks like my evil plan worked.  Muhahahahahahahaha!!!

I thought about that...lol 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I preguessed Powell’s and City Lights (I once notarized Lawrence Ferlinghetti’s signature, his office was a mess!)

FJ was an IG because my brother-in-law bored is all with random German facts when we were traveling in Germany together.

7 hours ago, Driad said:

This blog from a diamond company has a brief description of diamond pipe mining: "diamond-bearing earth is extracted from the ground through the use of volcanic pipes, which are natural underground channels."

Thank you for explaining that! I still think it's a really obscure clue; I bet when most people think of mining they think of shovels and picks, or various underground machines such as those described here, but not pipes.

7 hours ago, Bklyndeb said:

I often thought we had a tough pr sell with Passover compared to Easter.  Chocolate, bunnies and chicks, or matzah, blood, lice, boils and dead first borns. Oy! But I did sweep the category!

But religious Christians have to sit through a story of a man slowly and painfully tortured to death. At least the plagues have a horror-movie cool factor to them. And I think fondly of a Passover seder a friend (now deceased) would have. Her brisket...mmm!

7 hours ago, Brookside said:

Who names their child (or themselves) Bif?  It's like a kids' cartoon character.  And another lifetime of spelling the name for people - "Just one f."

It could be a nickname. The movie "Find Your Feet" featured a woman named Bif. It was explained by her younger sister's inability to pronounce her real name, Elizabeth.

I'm coming down with something and had a fever last night, but I still managed to get mock apple pie and dredged Sweden up out of the depths. It's a long country and extends further south than you might think. Oh, also Checkers. I thought the clue for that one was oddly worded.

9 hours ago, Brookside said:

I thought the same thing

Except from my generation it would be a lifetime of, "Now Bif, don't con me". 

Its the classic 1980s preppy douchebag guy name. 

9 hours ago, Carmel Cub said:

I correctly got Sweden for FJ but certainly would not have picked the UK for the other country with a maritime only border with Germany had it not been part of the clue. 

My thought on this as well.  Knew Sweden, once I figured out the "middle Scandinavian country", so Norway or Sewden.  Also don't understand now it has a maritime border with the UK.  Thought looking at a map would clear it up, but no, just makes it more confusing since the Netherlands and Belgium are east of Germany and closer to the UK

• Love 1

Re: the name Bif.  All I could think of was George Constanza being referred to as Biff Lohman from Death of a Salesman.  I never remember what countries are on the Baltic.  The Checkers speech was an instaget even though it was Before My Time.  “My wife has a cloth coat, not a fur.”

Edited by PaulaO
Spelling counts!
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got mock apple pie and am fully familiar with the Checkers speech. Because, you know, we weren't going to have Dick Nixon to kick around any more after that.

Sorry, @saber5055, the not having Nixon to kick around anymore speech came in 1962, after his unsuccessful run for Governor of California, not the Checkers speech. But both were probably Before Your Time.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

The Checkers speech was an instaget even though it was Before My Time.  “My wife has a cloth coat, not a fur.”

I felt bad for Bryan; he obviously knew what the clue was about, but just couldn't remember the name of the Nixons' dog.  "Snickers" happens to be my cat's name, so I'm taking his incorrect answer as a shout-out to me.

In college, I had a professor whose wife's name was "Biff."  I'm pretty sure it was her actual, legal name.

• Love 1
On 2/5/2019 at 6:03 PM, Grundoon59 said:

I got FJ immediately but am somewhat embarrassed to admit that it was partly due to the TV show The Young Riders.

We are all magpies, grabbing shiny bits of knowledge from all sorts of sources. Never be embarrassed about how you know something. Revel in it's quirkiness. :)

On 2/5/2019 at 7:11 PM, Browncoat said:

For the "Voyager" answer, would they have accepted "Veeger"?  After all, that's how it's pronounced in the movie!

I said "Veeger" first, then switched to "Voyager," and wondered the same thing

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Trebek, it's really not polite to laugh at a contestant's name.

I did, but that's because my mind went immediately to "Back to the Future."

11 hours ago, Driad said:

I know people who commute by bike in the city, some long distances. In winter they use knobby tires for traction in the snow.

I was all ready for the answer to related to volcanoes - but then the diamonds got me confused.

Being Oregonians, we were waiting to shout "Powell's" when it eventually came up. So we were very pleased when it did. A trip to Portland is not a completed trip without a visit to Powell's.

• Love 5

I liked the middle challenger today. I was wary about him putting a question mark after his name, but he ended up being a good contestant.  I like the champ too, though.

I got TS Capri. 

• Love 2

Oy, I don't do well with change.

But, before the forum changes short-circuit my brain so that I can't remember anything about the previous two games ...

I don’t remember many specifics from Thursday’s game at this point, but a) FJ was an instaget, b) Bif may have a stupid name but he’s a pretty smart player, and c) I joined Alex in his “duh, folks, the bluebird of happiness” style reaction to bluebird being a TS.  They got a picture of a blue bird and “happiness” in the clue (plus rhymes with word as the category, but that just gave them bird) and no one could come up with bluebird?

Tonight's game has also faded a bit, but speaking of stupid names, was it explained why Josh had a question mark after his name?  I chuckled at his OMG, I’m an idiot reaction to missing the Thomas Paine DD.  Ex (in the drop “it” category) was quite surprising as a TS.  As was no one guessing the sun when Earth was ruled out in the stargazers clue.  American Legion and Henrietta Lacks a bit, too.  Carol Moseley Braun, with a picture, as a TS was depressing.

The Christiane Amanpour-delivered clue was utterly ridiculous as a DD.  What was the J in that organization going to be other than journalists?!

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oy, I don't do well with change.

Ugh, I’m more confused here than a Wheel of Fortune contestant on Jeopardy.

(Side burn Wheel of Fortune)

• LOL 4
  • Love 12

Welcome back!!

i don’t remember much about Thursday’s show other than I got FJ. I did better today, though, getting Thomas Paine, Capri, Carl Sagan, Henrietta Lacks, Carol Moseley Braun, Taming of the Shrew. I knew Capri from I, Claudius: “C-C-Capri!” in John Hurt’s Caligula’s perfect mockery of Derek Jacobi’s Claudius. 

Really bummed that no one got Carol—she is an icon for an Illinoisan like me! And I remembered that Sagan was from Cornell from Neil deGrasse Tyson’s story of how Sagan had 15-year-old Neil come up and spend the day with him and became his mentor. 

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

I missed you all so much!  And I realized how much time per day I spent on this site.  This new system will take some adjustment but I will persevere because I need to be here with you all.  

I second all of Sharpie66's comments.  I remember I, Claudius well and Carol Moseley Braun came to Michigan a few times to help female candidates back in the day when I ran in political circles.

Friday's FJ was an instaget mainly due to Kiss Me Kate (Brush Up Your Shakespeare is now stuck in my brain) also from having seen a wonderful all female production of Taming of the Shrew at the Globe in London back in 2003 (and many visits to Stratford Ontario over the years).  

• Love 6

Good to "see" everyone again!

FJ was a total guess for me, having neither seen nor read The Taming of the Shrew. But I have Kiss Me, Kate on my theater subscription. 

I was glad Bif won again although I would have been fine with any of the contestants as champ, because I got tired of Alex's needling him about his slow start. I don't think I've ever seen a contestant interview where the question was "Why are you doing such a shitty job today?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, SHD said:

I liked the middle challenger today. I was wary about him putting a question mark after his name

I joined the show late so I don't know if Alex made a comment about the question mark, but I loved it. Made me laugh... such a Jeopardy thing to do.

I wish he had won. I'm not enjoying Bif. Sometimes he takes forever to pick the next clue. Dude, you're not choosing your life mate, just pick something!

• LOL 2
On 2/6/2019 at 10:11 PM, saber5055 said:

Oh. New features still don't include a way to delete accidental quotes. Sorry, Saber5055

On 2/6/2019 at 10:38 PM, saber5055 said:

Answer: Check out Back to the Future, dudes!

I thought of Willy Loman's favorite son.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:55 PM, Gimmick Genius said:

Speaking of Bif with one 'f', I once knew a Jimm with, yes, two 'm's.

The first m was silent.

On 2/7/2019 at 1:32 AM, Toothbrush said:

TS I got were mock apple pie & diamonds.

I have always been a reader. I recall, as a child, eating my tomato soup & Ritz crackers, reading the Ritz box and getting SO grossed out at the thought of a pie made with crackers mimicking apple pie. Who even THINKS of something like that? The depression and WW2 did weird things to people back home.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Tonight's game has also faded a bit, but speaking of stupid names, was it explained why Josh had a question mark after his name? 

At first, I thought it was a stupid affectation, and then I realized he was responding in the form of a question, so I changed my mind and liked the guy.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, deemac said:

I was going nuts with the forum shut down.....now a fond farewell.  Both I and my eyes are too old for this format.

Read the intro to 4.0.  I think it's on the home page.  There are instructions for changing the format that includes bigger fonts.

Only two days but I missed PTV.  Did not have a good J! week though I did get several of the TS s.  

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, deemac said:

I was going nuts with the forum shut down.....now a fond farewell.  Both I and my eyes are too old for this format.

Don't leave us, @deemac.  Just scroll down to the bottom of the page, click on Themes and you can change the font size.  Good thing too, or I'd have to leave as well. 

I can't remember much of Wednesday's and Thursday's games except that I did not get either FJ.  W should have come to me immediately, after getting the JFK part of the answer but it did not.

Yesterday's ts's were mill, ex, and Carl Sagan, plus the missed DD of Thomas Paine.  Did not get FJ.  My overall Shakespeare knowledge is spotty and even worse for comedies.

Denmark wasn't a ts but I just wanted to say I got it immediately because I studied the map of Europe after Wednesday's FJ about Germany's maritime borders.

Missed you all, glad we're back:)

• Love 7

Having to go two days without reading the J! comments before going to work was very disorienting. Glad things are back to normal!

When the shouty champ said he'd been a DJ and Alex asked what kind of music he played, I was waiting for the guy to say "I HOSTED AN EASY LISTENING SHOW!"

Did anyone else know the Nicaragua answer because the mentions of bananas and coffee in the clue brought to mind the song Managua, Nicaragua? I know that even though it's before my time...

I also knew Capri thanks to I, Claudius!

• Love 1
On 2/7/2019 at 7:46 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

Sorry, @saber5055, the not having Nixon to kick around anymore speech came in 1962, after his unsuccessful run for Governor of California, not the Checkers speech. But both were probably Before Your Time. 

Thank you Your Majesty. I knew I should have looked it up but didn't have the strength. So the Checkers Speech is where the Republican Cloth Coat term came from, hey? I remember my mom talking about that. She was a straight-ticket Republican and proudly wore a cloth coat. (Thanks also for the BYT comment. Me likee!)

Count me in with those who aren't all crazy about the changes here. Too many ads taking up space and contain, no doubt, scripts that will lock up my browser. But then I guess someone has to pay for our fun.

Any other comments I had for the games of the last two days aren't relevant enough for me to remember. Although I did write down the TSs of blue bird and Delores (del Rio), and noted Amanda got a GFY.

I'm also a Bif fan. Getting a kick out of his reign.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Carol Moseley Braun, with a picture, as a TS was depressing.

I'm surprised I didn't get that. I hadn't seen that picture of her before, and her hair was different or something. Anyway, I didn't recognize her.

3 hours ago, deemac said:

Don't give up yet! I'm bad with change, too, but I'm plodding along and expecting things to become easier as time goes by.

The name Biff/Bif always makes me think of West Side Story, perhaps my favorite movie musical. However, I just checked IMDB and discovered that his name is Riff. I don't know how I've mistaken it all these years.

For Thursday TSs, I got Mill, Profession, Thomas Paine, and Sagan. I couldn't come up with Henrietta Lacks' name.

I was terrible with the drop IT category.

I also got FJ, though I wasn't positive that The Taming of the Shrew was correct.

For Friday TSs, I got bluebird (Duh is right, Alex!) and Delores.

I did n't get FJ. I came up with JFK, but I misread the clue and thought the other film was also three letters. I can't say for sure if I would have gotten W if I'd read it right. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I was glad Bif won again although I would have been fine with any of the contestants as champ, because I got tired of Alex's needling him about his slow start. I don't think I've ever seen a contestant interview where the question was "Why are you doing such a shitty job today?"

So much THIS. And this is why I'm rooting for Bif to continue his winning streak, because Trebek has made it obvious that he hates Bif. I even said "STFU Trebek" yesterday to my teevee when AT starting ranking on Bif. AGAIN.

As for the one eff, consider Jif Peanut Butter. Also consider the Dobermann with two ens.

• Love 4

Bif’s not bad—he’s a vast improvement over the last champ.

I saw a great Taming of the Shrew at the Globe in 2012. They had Bianca be as much of a bitch to Kate as the usual other way around, just sneakier about it, which had everyone in the audience go, “Oooohhh!” when that was revealed. Got Kate instant sympathy from everyone. 

• Love 1

Being Oregonians, we were waiting to shout "Powell's" when it eventually came up. So we were very pleased when it did. A trip to Portland is not a completed trip without a visit to Powell's.

I'm not an Origonian, but I totally agree. And... Powell's carries my books :)

I saw The Taming of the Shrew in a park (outdoor theatre) in Colorado Springs. A guy played Kate in Act I and really got into it with Petruchio. A woman took over the role in Act II. It really, really worked nicely.

Once upon a long time ago, as a college student, I was in a Wisconsin Players production of Kiss Me Kate.

And now I'm singing: "If a custom tailored vet, asks me out for something wet, when the vet begins to pet, I cry, Hooray! But I'm always true to you, Darlin', in my fashion..."

Good to be back!

• Love 5

Catching up on two weeks of shows.  There was a questionable judge's call before FJ when Will Mash the Buzzer Into a Pulp won his first game.  Without allowing his extremely borderline answer, we would've been spared his irritating buzzer antics in future games.

Mad at myself for picking Sarah McClachlan over Mariah Carey.

The Paine missed DD was just common sense.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

So much THIS. And this is why I'm rooting for Bif to continue his winning streak, because Trebek has made it obvious that he hates Bif. I even said "STFU Trebek" yesterday to my teevee when AT starting ranking on Bif. AGAIN.

As for the one eff, consider Jif Peanut Butter. Also consider the Dobermann with two ens.

Dobermann was named after original German breeder, who was called (wait for it) Karl Dobermann.  In North America the second en is dropped.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 1

So glad we're back!  I missed y'all!

Thursday's FJ was almost an instaget for me -- I remembered JFK, then did the math to come up with W.  I was also astonished that they all missed bluebird.  That should have been a gimme between the photo and the clue.  Other TS I got that day included Pompeii and Herculaneum, and Dolores.  I don't remember much else about the game.

For Friday, I was glad Bif managed another win.  Josh? annoyed me with his rocking, and his odd (to me) pronunciation of oeuvre.  I've always heard it more of "uh-vre" than his "oovra", and I was distracted by that.  I completely whiffed FJ, so I only managed 4/5 this week.  Boo, hiss.  But I got the TS of Mill, Thomas Paine, sun, and Henrietta Lacks.  I've read the book (multiple times), seen the movie, and actually even occasionally work with the cells themselves.  I'd have to enter the witness protection program if I'd missed that one!

Off to go explore the new features (or at least figure out how to customize my home page).

• Love 1

Thursday--my only get was FJ.  JFK was an instaget.  W was the only other one that made sense.

Friday--I got Thomas Paine, ex, and the sun.

This was me during FJ: 

think winnie the pooh GIF

I got Kiss Me, Kate stuck in my head.  Then, the episode of Moonlighting they did based on the play.  For the life of me, I could not come up with Taming of the Shrew.

Loving the new Winnie the Pooh gifs. Obviously!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Loving the new Winnie the Pooh gifs. Obviously!

Hey! That's neat - I didn't realize that new gifs came with the update! There are some for me too!

sad winnie the pooh GIF

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 3
Just now, secnarf said:

Hey! That's neat - I didn't realize that new gifs came with the update! There are some for me too!

sad winnie the pooh GIF

We care!

winnie the pooh friends GIF

<giggles>

<waits to be told her gifs are annoying>

• Love 1