Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

14 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I believe in that one category (miscellaneous?) that if the clues had been done in order, the correct answers would have been "Rama, Llama, Ramen, Lama, Ding-Dong". (rama lama ding dong). Apparently, the writers were having fun, but probably no one "got it". I got FJ, only because I figure that those numbers indicated that the singer had a lot of hits and I remembered that they always say "Mariah Carey has surpassed so-and-so with #1 hits. MC has 20 (whatever) hits." etc. and I don't think I could tell you even one (except I think there's some Christmas song she does). 

Good catch! I realized there were two llama/lama answers, but that's it.

FJ gave me another reason to hate Mariah Carey.

Something about the way the guy contestant spoke reminded me of Matthew Broderick.

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I call foul on the bocc(i)e clue.  I don't think I've ever seen it spelled with an "i" before the "e" -- just bocce.  I suspect that's why it was a TS, too.

Yes! And I bet that's what the champ was going to say but then thought, "Oh, bocce isn't spelled 'ie' - never mind" after she rang in.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm really trying to understand the logic - women writers vs. female singers.  Don't we have some authors and editors here? Is there a preferred form? Seems like you never see "men" whatever. Occasionally you see "male" something. But I guess any profession is male by default? :(  Sorry if this has been discussed to death and I missed it.)

This is from today's TheJeopardyFan.com:

"I’m not sure why Jeopardy! insists on using WOMEN or FEMALE in a category title, especially in Final Jeopardy!, especially as MEN or MALE don’t show up in category titles. Yesterday’s clue would have held up just fine as just WRITERS (after all, “her” was used in the clue yesterday), and again, there’s “her” in the clue today. That should be sufficient."

Amen.

26 minutes ago, SHD said:

And I bet that's what the champ was going to say but then thought, "Oh, bocce isn't spelled 'ie' - never mind" after she rang in.

Google "boccie" and you will come up with some interesting Twitter comments:

boccie.png

Link to some outraged Twitter comments here.

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 9

I had boccie (never seen it spelled like that either), Immortal Beloved, JFK, and said Mariah Carey before Alex finished reading.

Why does being from Idaho have anything to do with not knowing FJ? Joan was from Washington State by way of Canada and she knew it. That was a strange comment. 

Edited by teebax
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, SHD said:

FJ gave me another reason to hate Mariah Carey.

I'd agree except it's not possible for me to dislike her more than I already do. "Can't Stand Ya" —TM that Seinfeld episode.

I knew I was sunk for FJ since I listened to talk radio exclusively in the 90s. Now, however, give me clues about The Weeknd, Meek Mill, Halsey, CardiB and I'm good. In any case, I knew my FJ streak wasn't going to last. I didn't even have a good (or bad) guess.

So who knew Illinois had an official snack food. Not I. Although I guessed "sweet corn" from the Kernel clue. At least I wasn't eating popcorn at the time.

LOL at the answer "pound sand." I used to say that all the time and no one anywhere knew what I meant. I have no idea where I picked it up, and I never heard anyone else ever use the phrase.

11 minutes ago, teebax said:

What does being from Idaho have anything to do with knowing FJ?

Because obviously Trebek thinks people in Idaho don't have electricity or indoor plumbing much less those new-fangled radio things.

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So who knew Illinois had an official snack food. Not I. Although I guessed "sweet corn" from the Kernel clue. At least I wasn't eating popcorn at the time.

There's an entire website devoted for state symbols and yes, it's on there. I learned quite a bit about the symbols of my home state of Massachusetts. 

I like our new Champion. I had debated briefly between Mariah and Whitney, but decided on Mariah as Whitney started in the 80s.

• Like 2

Holy crap, two “Woman/Female [Profession]” FJ categories in a row?!  Those sexist twits have to just be fucking with the audience at this point. 

This show has been making me hungry lately; first empanadas, and now I want blue crab.

PCH is more than "just a few miles" away from the studio.  The clue works because that’s not the main phrase, but it still bugs me.

I love vocabulary categories, so I liked the I Before E category, and was surprised boccie was a TS.  I’m assuming that’s because they all think of the game as being spelled bocce (as do I), but “Italian lawn bowling” doesn’t lead at least one of them to figure there’s an alternate spelling and guess it?  The Miracle Worker TS was mildly surprising, but only; I don't think she's someone where a photo helps the majority of contestants.  The JFK TS, though, I can’t even.

The Craigslist forum is called Missed Connections, so I don’t think “a missed connection” should have been accepted; that’s the general idea, but not the name of the category, which is what was specifically asked about.  If you're asked about a title and leave off or append an S, it's wrong.  This shouldn't be any different.

I LOL at Alex’s “Oh, no” when J.B. got the first clue wrong by saying Star Trek instead of The Twilight Zone.  I grant that it’s an obnoxious thing Alex does, but that was a dumb-ass answer.

I remember from yesterday that Joan is a Seahawks fan, so I love that she’s the one who got most of the Super Bowl clues. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I believe in that one category (miscellaneous?) that if the clues had been done in order, the correct answers would have been "Rama, Llama, Ramen, Lama, Ding-Dong". (rama lama ding dong).

Cool! I missed that!. Very cute. I wonder if Meghan got it since she seemed quite amused when she said "What is ding-dong."

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I call foul on the bocc(i)e clue.  I don't think I've ever seen it spelled with an "i" before the "e" -- just bocce. 

I said bocce, not even paying attention to how it's spelled. I usually watch the show and type my answers on my laptop. I typed "bocci." Normally I would spell it correctly.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

LOL at the answer "pound sand." I used to say that all the time and no one anywhere knew what I meant. I have no idea where I picked it up, and I never heard anyone else ever use the phrase.

I always thought 'pound sand' had a more vulgar meaning.

Anyway, I guess the only TS I got was boccie/bocci/bocce. Like the contestants, I was getting confused in the Bio Pick category. I was trying to pay attention, but instead of The Miracle Worker, I said Helen Keller.

And instead of Immortal Beloved, I said Beloved Immortal.

I've never heard of that instrument, a boozke or however it's spelled.

For FJ I guessed Whitney Houston. I didn't think that was correct because I knew she had hits in the 80's, but I couldn't think of anyone else that quickly.

• Like 2

I didn't know boccie is spelled with an ie.  That was not what kept me from getting it right, but still didn't know

Once again missed on FJ.  Went with Whitney Houston.

Got Kennedy as a TS.  Really, how could the 3rd person, the new champ, not get that one?  I know, middle of the game, but the category is the 1960s, you know its a president and the other two people had already guessed Nixon and Johnson.  Kennedy is the only likely answer.  I guess technically Eisenhower was president for a year in the 60s, but seemed obvious it was Kennedy

Now the "pound sand" answer has me wondering where that phrase originated.  I have heard it before, but no idea why that means what it does.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm really trying to understand the logic - women writers vs. female singers.  Don't we have some authors and editors here? Is there a preferred form? Seems like you never see "men" whatever. Occasionally you see "male" something. But I guess any profession is male by default? :(  Sorry if this has been discussed to death and I missed it.)

I have a facebook friend who is an editor/journalism guy and this comes up on sports for high school/college teams and its a pet peeve it seems of his.  For the women's teams, many will add 'Lady' in front of the team nickname, and he insists that is not correct.  They are not say the 'Lady' Wildcats, they are just the Wildcats, like the men's team would be.  So I imagine they would be the same way to an editor.  They really should be just "writers" and "singers", as many on here insist as well

If they are going to add qualifiers though, I don't know how why you would say "women writers" vs. "female singers". 

• Like 3

Sad to see Jill go. She reminded me so much of my neighbor/workout buddy. I thought Alex looked very smart in his blue & gray combo Wednesday. Sean didn't bother me, and he seemed really bright; too bad FJ got him. But I have a feeling the buzzer smashing & there you go arm move would have annoyed me had he won & stayed around for long. 

I thought Sean's DD of Valley of the Kings, and Jill's DD of Bolero were both ridonkulously easy. I don't think Sean was spelling slowly as much as carefully, and I don't blame him. Too bad it wasn't quick enough for the man who has all the answers in front of him. 

Wed's TS were Tallchief, Amy Adams, LeSaber (5055) , Baskets. FJ was an instaget thanks to the word circle in the clue. 

New champ Meghan is ok, but I was rooting for Joan. Another day, another Teen Tournament, or even Kids' Week level question that basically boiled down to "in what country is Sydney located"?

TS I got were bocc(i evidently)e; never saw it spelled with an 'i' but I couldn't think of anything else, The Miracle Worker, Immortal Beloved, JFK. Can't believe Meghan didn't get JFK after JB & Joan eliminated the only 2 other 60s POTUS. FJ was down to Whitney & Mariah, but I quickly realized that Whitney's heyday was the 80s not 90s. 

On 1/30/2019 at 7:37 PM, lb60 said:

Let's try again, since I completely screwed up the last post.  In my defense, I feel like crap.

Hope you feel better. 

• Like 2

I had heard "pound sand" as half a phrase. The rest of it is "up your a$$."  At one place I worked, management passed out an allegedly humorous list of phrases to use at work. I don't remember why they were supposed to be funny, but it was the first instance I'd ever seen of pounding sand up anywhere.

https://www.quora.com/Where-does-the-phrase-go-pound-sand-come-from

Re Dorothy Parker - She never even came to my mind during FJ, but not only was Woollcott in her circle, he was a great friend of Harpo Marx, as well. Harpo was quite elated to sometimes be included - this kid who never went to school, sitting there with all those bright intellectuals.

Meghan's face reminds me of the daughter of a friend of mine, so I'm naturally rooting for her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had heard "pound sand" as half a phrase. The rest of it is "up your a$$."  At one place I worked, management passed out an allegedly humorous list of phrases to use at work. I don't remember why they were supposed to be funny, but it was the first instance I'd ever seen of pounding sand up anywhere.

https://www.quora.com/Where-does-the-phrase-go-pound-sand-come-from

Re Dorothy Parker - She never even came to my mind during FJ, but not only was Woollcott in her circle, he was a great friend of Harpo Marx, as well. Harpo was quite elated to sometimes be included - this kid who never went to school, sitting there with all those bright intellectuals.

Meghan's face reminds me of the daughter of a friend of mine, so I'm naturally rooting for her.

Wow........that is the most long winded and confusing half explanation of "pound sound" I can imagine.  They try, in a detailed manner, but still not sure I completely understand.  For one the phrase seems to be used in different ways by different people, from what I am reading :

One being "pound sound up your..." rear or ear, however vulgar you want to be, which is a phrasing I never heard, just seems to be a reference to tell someone off and to do something unpleasant.  This seems more in line with how I heart it used, just never heard the full phrasing like that

The other seems to be doing something pointless, because "pounding sound" is pointless.  Yet its not always pointless, that is the problem with that interpretation.  You can pound sand into different types of holes, as mentioned, and you can pound sound to condense it and make it more dense, that is basically how sound castles and structures are made, to some extent, especially if its wet, so its not always pointless. 

• Like 1

I'm really trying to understand the logic - women writers vs. female singers.  Don't we have some authors and editors here? Is there a preferred form?

Professional editor (as well as author) here.

The qualifiers---"women" and "female"---are not wrong, per se, however if there's a "she" in the clue, they are unnecessary (and as someone else said, the writers are fucking with us because I'm guessing they read J! forums).

Mr. Author (also a published author and professional editor) is okay with it. But then he's a man :)

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Miracle Worker TS was mildly surprising, but only; I don't think she's someone where a photo helps the majority of contestants.  The JFK TS, though, I can’t even.

I've never seen a photo of Annie Sullivan before, so I had no clue.  And I never came up with JFK; I think I was unsure exactly when Khruschev was premier and couldn't quite line him up after Nixon was wrong.  (I also connect dogs with Nixon.)

All I had for FJ was "Madonna was too early for the decade in the clue, and Alicia Keys was too late".

When I saw the Official State Foods category, I knew Maryland's blue crab would be one of the answers.

I actually got three answers right in the NFL category, something of a miracle for me.

I did not know Rama, although I probably should have, and having never seen bocce spelled any other way, I was stumped on that one.  Should've guessed it, though.  I didn't know sympathetic strings (wasn't that an answer to something last week or so?) and also said balalaika, even though I know that's Russian; I misread the clue and thought bouzouki was in the clue.  I didn't do well in the M C category at all.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

The qualifiers---"women" and "female"---are not wrong, per se, however if there's a "she" in the clue, they are unnecessary (and as someone else said, the writers are fucking with us because I'm guessing they read J! forums).

LOL. Yes to all of the above.

Because I seldom pay attention to what category clues are in, I said "bocce" as that TS answer, then saw the category and stopped and tried to spell it in my head, then got all confused so figured it was wrong. So I was all WTH? along with everyone else that dictionaries -- but no living person anywhere -- spell it with "ie."

30 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

All I had for FJ was "Madonna was too early for the decade in the clue, and Alicia Keys was too late".

I didn't think of Madonna, but Alicia Keys did go through my mind, then I figured she wasn't even born then. Ha.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had heard "pound sand" as half a phrase.

I never finished the phrase when I told people to go pound sand, but basically it was a cleaner way to say eff off. And now that I think about it (it's been decades since I've said that, and, as I posted earlier, I've never heard anyone else ever say it), I used to say "You can go PACK sand." But pack sand is close enough to pound sand that I got the Jeopardy answer. Obviously, the player who got the correct answer knew the phrase!

16 hours ago, DrScottie said:

There's an entire website devoted for state symbols

My irritation with not knowing Illinois has an official snack food is that our legislature is a bunch of do-nothing crooks (well, not all of them but most of them) who can't pass a budget and routinely get put into prison for some sort of graft and/or criminal behavior yet they can jack around naming popcorn as our official snack food. WTH. Frankly, living in Illinois sucks. I don't recommend it for anyone.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Because I seldom pay attention to what category clues are in, I said "bocce" as that TS answer, then saw the category and stopped and tried to spell it in my head, then got all confused so figured it was wrong. So I was all WTH? along with everyone else that dictionaries -- but no living person anywhere -- spell it with "ie."

I didn't think of Madonna, but Alicia Keys did go through my mind, then I figured she wasn't even born then. Ha.

I never finished the phrase when I told people to go pound sand, but basically it was a cleaner way to say eff off. And now that I think about it (it's been decades since I've said that, and, as I posted earlier, I've never heard anyone else ever say it), I used to say "You can go PACK sand." But pack sand is close enough to pound sand that I got the Jeopardy answer. Obviously, the player who got the correct answer knew the phrase!

My irritation with not knowing Illinois has an official snack food is that our legislature is a bunch of do-nothing crooks (well, not all of them but most of them) who can't pass a budget and routinely get put into prison for some sort of graft and/or criminal behavior yet they can jack around naming popcorn as our official snack food. WTH. Frankly, living in Illinois sucks. I don't recommend it for anyone.

And you are not exaggerating about the "crook" part for Illinois in terms of governors.  Four of the last severe went to prison?

All states do this with useless bills like this though.  I read one that a large percentage of all bills passed are naming such pretty useless stuff, like a special day of the year or state flower, snack food, metal, car, whatever.  I can't find the exact stat and can't recall the exact number, but the point being, its a whole lot of trivial things that make it through

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

FJ said Native New Yorker and Madonna is from Michigan so I dismissed her immediately.

I got a little hung up on the NY native part of the clue, trying to come up with female singers strongly associated with NY and getting nowhere.  Once I switched to female singers with a slew of hits in the '90s, Mariah Carey sprang right to mind.  I had no idea where she was from, so I couldn't use the NY part of the clue to confirm it, but she seemed the right guess so I stuck with it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I got a little hung up on the NY native part of the clue, trying to come up with female singers strongly associated with NY and getting nowhere.  Once I switched to female singers with a slew of hits in the '90s, Mariah Carey sprang right to mind.  I had no idea where she was from, so I couldn't use the NY part of the clue to confirm it, but she seemed the right guess so I stuck with it.

That's how I got to her, too. I briefly considered Whitney Houston, but I was pretty sure she wasn't from New York.

For state foods, I pre-guessed New York's apple.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 1:29 PM, saber5055 said:

Europeans can discuss American politics better than most Americans. And very few Americans know anything about any place other than the town where they live much less anything "foreign." Which is why I like hanging out here. Knowledge is more valuable than Vermont maple syrup IMO!

In a B&B in Orkney several years ago, I startled a young German couple when I not only knew Angela Merkel’s name (and pronounced it correctly), but discussed her Greek bailout program with them. They told me they were shocked I knew that much about EU fiscal policy.

I think the photo was of Helen Keller, not Annie Sullivan. 

I got bocce (never knew of the ie spelling, though), Miracle Worker, Immortal Beloved, JFK, sympathetic strings (thank you, LOTR making of documentary—the Hardanger Fiddle plays the Rohan theme and Howard Shore talks about those), and Whitney Houston (wrong).

Sounded like J.B. got his Shatner mixed up—he was the star of that Twilight Zone ep.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I did the same thing - then I googled it and saw that apparently boccie is an Anglicized way of spelling it, so I called foul as well.

Also got JFK - I knew just from watching Thirteen Days that the two of them were contemporary leaders. Not to say Khrushchev couldn't have overlapped with Eisenhower or LBJ, so I wasn't 100% sure I was correct, but JFK was the first person to come to mind.

Also Neptune tonight was an instaget. Seemed too easy for a FJ, with the inclusion of "Oceanus".

Boo, hiss on the butane reversal.  Unless there's a butane lamp I've never heard of -- unlike a kerosene lamp, which used to be pretty common in antique stores.  Despite that, it was a good game.  I only got one TS -- winch. 

Total face-palm for FJ.  It should have been an instaget with Oceanus, but I had no idea what the French word meant, and just randomly picked the wrong planet.

Also, Alex?  You really need to stop with the accents, especially the Valley Girl one (because that was the worst Valley Girl accent I've ever heard.  Or possibly the worst accent of any variety I've ever heard!).

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Wed's TS were Tallchief, Amy Adams, LeSaber (5055) , Baskets. FJ was an instaget thanks to the word circle in the clue. 

I see what you did there and I thank you for it.

17 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I don't think Sean was spelling slowly as much as carefully, and I don't blame him. Too bad it wasn't quick enough for the man who has all the answers in front of him. 

And a big BOO YEAH to this. No kidding. He can be so irksome sometimes. Well, most of the time.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Hope you feel better. 

Thanks.  Feeling halfway between crap and normal.  Just one of the hazards of working in a petri dish of disease.  AKA: an elementary school.  Germ ridden little buggers.

1 hour ago, SHD said:

Did Will have no idea what an anagram is?

Apparently not.  I love anagram word puzzles, so I was screaming at him the first time, then calling him a moron when he kept up with his ridiculous guesses.

Meghan is from my neck of the woods, so she was on my local news last night.  She said she's wanted to be on Jeopardy since she was a kid, and that Alex was super friendly, taking questions from the audience between games.  She was okay, but I could have done without her winking at me during the intro.  In fact, all three intros were pretty bad tonight.

Yesterday, I got boccie and JFK.  With zero confidence, I said JLo for FJ. I blame Today and their incessant pimping of her 10 day challenge for having her stuck in my brain.  Mariah never crossed my mind.

Today all I got was FJ.

• Like 3

Good close game.

Saint Elmo’s for the brimstone clue?  WTF?  Yes, I know, St. Elmo’s Fire, but what on earth about that clue led her there?  I guess because biblical was in the clue she went to saint, but, damn; even I know the phrase fire and brimstone, and you have to search to find someone who knows less about the bible than I do.  (But I didn't know brimstone referred to sulfur, so that's my learn something new for the day.)  I even did an internet search to see if there was an association between the weather phenomenon (assuming she wasn't referring to the song/movie!) and sulfur I wasn't aware of, but all I found were a couple of references to the the smells of the two things sometimes occurring together.  It was such a weird guess, I feel like I'm the one missing something and it actually wasn't weird.

And co-sign on wondering if Will knows what an anagram is.  Or how to spell.  Or something.  Because those wrong answers of his were really weird.

The "What a Dad Wants" category?  Um, a great many women and non-breeding men would like those things, too, J! writers.

Did we need the audio part of the Piano Man clue?!  That’s as bad as some of their picture clues.

I'm surprised winch was a TS when they went in order and got that clue right after the wench one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Boo, hiss on the butane reversal.  Unless there's a butane lamp I've never heard of -- unlike a kerosene lamp, which used to be pretty common in antique stores.  Despite that, it was a good game.  I only got one TS -- winch. 

Total face-palm for FJ.  It should have been an instaget with Oceanus, but I had no idea what the French word meant, and just randomly picked the wrong planet.

Also, Alex?  You really need to stop with the accents, especially the Valley Girl one (because that was the worst Valley Girl accent I've ever heard.  Or possibly the worst accent of any variety I've ever heard!).

I agree about the butane reversal. Also, I could have sworn Will said "Snoopy Doo" instead of Scooby Doo. 

I got Abelard and Heloise, but I missed FJ. I guessed Venus because I thought Venus was ocean blue, as in this picture.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I sure hope Will finds his indoor voice over the weekend. 

I didn't get any TS but FJ was an instaget. 

Lol. He was like that Will Farrell character on SNL. I give hin a pass on that because it may be caused by hearing problrms, but I couldn't root for him because it's unacceptable to go on Jeopardy and not know what an anagram is. 

Between that and St. Elmo's fire I did some head-scratching during the game. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

FJ said Native New Yorker and Madonna is from Michigan so I dismissed her immediately. But wouldn't have come up with Mariah Carey in a million years. 

I knew Madonna wasn't a native NY'er, so I went with Cyndi Lauper.  Probably too early to have been a correct response, but what I know about pop music after the 60s can be put in a thimble, unless it's Warren Zevon.

12 hours ago, lb60 said:

Meghan is from my neck of the woods,

When I was born, my family lived in Croydon, not too far from Bristol, so I was cheering for Meghan.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 7:34 PM, Bastet said:

PCH is more than "just a few miles" away from the studio.  The clue works because that’s not the main phrase, but it still bugs me.

I've just begun working with a project manager who doesn't seem to know what the word "few" means. When discussing tens of items I'd given her, she said she had a few. That worried me, because I thought something had gone wrong in the transfer. So I specified exactly how many I'd given her. She replied back, yes, I saw the few that you transferred. Arrghh! At least it gave me a heads up that I needed to be very, very careful with language when exchanging emails.

21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't listen to much "new" music in the 90's (too busy raising our kids on 60's and 70's rock and roll), but even if I had, Mariah wouldn't have entered my mind. Instead, the Mr and I both said "Beyonce" who, for some reason, we both remembered from Destiny's Child. Of course she didn't meet any of the criteria, but, oh well.

Edited by Clanstarling

I, too, got hung up on the NY part of the lady singers clue, with JLo coming to mind immediately. I know she's from the Bronx, and even though I didn't think she had the number of hits in the 90s as the clue stated, once I had her in my head, I couldn't think of anyone else. Didn't even know Mariah was from NY. 

There were some really bad guesses this week. One that stands out for me was a clue about birds, which specifically stated the answer was a body part that birds and humans share. One of them guessed 'talons'. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I, too, got hung up on the NY part of the lady singers clue, with JLo coming to mind immediately. I know she's from the Bronx, and even though I didn't think she had the number of hits in the 90s as the clue stated, once I had her in my head, I couldn't think of anyone else. Didn't even know Mariah was from NY. 

There were some really bad guesses this week. One that stands out for me was a clue about birds, which specifically stated the answer was a body part that birds and humans share. One of them guessed 'talons'. 

I had “Jenny from the Block” pop in my head from the NY part of the clue and it just wouldn’t stop playing in my mind to let me think about other artists. I knew she wasn’t 90s, but it’s hard to think when a song stomps around in the brain. 

We laughed at the talons answer in our household as I tell Mr. Pallida he has talons if his toenails get a little long. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, SHD said:

Did Will have no idea what an anagram is?

No he really did not. 

Although I did not catch or follow the first answer in that category.  Was it "cry" and something?

Butane for kerosene?  Booooo

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Although I did not catch or follow the first answer in that category.  Was it "cry" and something?

Cried & .......something (riced? dicer?) God, am I terrible at anagrams (although I do know what one is)!

ETA: Found it! (neither of my guesses)  ANAGRAM PAIRS $400: Wept & an apple beverage
(Meghan: What is cider?)
(Alex: We need--)
(Meghan: Cried.)
(Alex: That's it. Give us both.)

Edited by illdoc · Reason: looked up a clue
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Cried and cider ("wept and an apple beverage").

While looking that up, I looked up Will's wrong answers to refresh my memory on just how odd they were.  For "true blue and a substance composed of two or more metals," he said, "compound and cobalt."  For "ASAP and a positively charged subatomic particle," he said, "proton and possible."  Even if he'd had the right answers, it annoys me when they're put in the wrong order ("true blue" comes first, so put "loyal" first, etc.).  But that's just a personal quirk; those answering correctly don't always do that, and it's accepted.  His version of anagram, however ... 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Cried and cider ("wept and an apple beverage").

While looking that up, I looked up Will's wrong answers to refresh my memory on just how odd they were.  For "true blue and a substance composed of two or more metals," he said, "compound and cobalt."  For "ASAP and a positively charged subatomic particle," he said, "proton and possible."  Even if he'd had the right answers, it annoys me when they're put in the wrong order ("true blue" comes first, so put "loyal" first, etc.).  But that's just a personal quirk; those answering correctly don't always do that, and it's accepted.  His version of anagram, however ... 

Perhaps he got alliteration and anagrams confused. J! is also big on alliterative categories.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Perhaps he got alliteration and anagrams confused. J! is also big on alliterative categories.

That sounds like a possibility. I was just ticked when the category came up. I have enough trouble with clues with a single anagram, but to have to come with both is nearly impossible (though I did get one, which is why "nearly"). My mind just doesn't work that way.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2019 at 2:12 PM, Bliss said:

Come to think of it, she never told me where the white went when the snow melted, either.

@Bliss, you posted this last Thursday but it sneaked into my head two nights ago and now I cannot get past the question, where DOES the white go when snow melts?

Anyone? Help me please! I'm trapped in this enigma!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

@Bliss, you posted this last Thursday but it sneaked into my head two nights ago and now I cannot get past the question, where DOES the white go when snow melts?

Anyone? Help me please! I'm trapped in this enigma!

Why is snow white? - https://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/climate-weather/atmospheric/question524.htm

From the article - "Snow is a whole bunch of individual ice crystals arranged together. When a light photon enters a layer of snow, it goes through an ice crystal on the top, which changes its direction slightly and sends it on to a new ice crystal, which does the same thing. Basically, all the crystals bounce the light all around so that it comes right back out of the snow pile. It does the same thing to all the different light frequencies, so all colors of light are bounced back out. The "color" of all the frequencies in the visible spectrum combined in equal measure is white, so this is the color we see in snow, while it's not the color we see in the individual ice crystals that form snow."

When the ice crystals turn into water, all that fancy light bouncing off crystals stuff stops.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

Oh wow, @Kathira, there really IS an answer to this! And it actually makes sense. Thanks much. Although now I'll have to think of something else to ponder in the middle of the night. LOL!

Regarding the "Our fair city" category - I've only ever heard that term from the Car Talk guys, referring to Boston. That wasn't it. Then I thought, cities with Fair in the name? No. So, was it just "cities" or did I miss something?

• Like 2

Instaget FJ for me tonight!  Woo hoo!  I only got one TS, though -- The Good Earth.

But what was up with Will saying that "equestrian" was another word for "temblor"?