Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

FJ said Native New Yorker and Madonna is from Michigan so I dismissed her immediately.

I got a little hung up on the NY native part of the clue, trying to come up with female singers strongly associated with NY and getting nowhere.  Once I switched to female singers with a slew of hits in the '90s, Mariah Carey sprang right to mind.  I had no idea where she was from, so I couldn't use the NY part of the clue to confirm it, but she seemed the right guess so I stuck with it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I got a little hung up on the NY native part of the clue, trying to come up with female singers strongly associated with NY and getting nowhere.  Once I switched to female singers with a slew of hits in the '90s, Mariah Carey sprang right to mind.  I had no idea where she was from, so I couldn't use the NY part of the clue to confirm it, but she seemed the right guess so I stuck with it.

That's how I got to her, too. I briefly considered Whitney Houston, but I was pretty sure she wasn't from New York.

For state foods, I pre-guessed New York's apple.

• Love 2
On 1/31/2019 at 1:29 PM, saber5055 said:

Europeans can discuss American politics better than most Americans. And very few Americans know anything about any place other than the town where they live much less anything "foreign." Which is why I like hanging out here. Knowledge is more valuable than Vermont maple syrup IMO!

In a B&B in Orkney several years ago, I startled a young German couple when I not only knew Angela Merkel’s name (and pronounced it correctly), but discussed her Greek bailout program with them. They told me they were shocked I knew that much about EU fiscal policy.

I think the photo was of Helen Keller, not Annie Sullivan. 

I got bocce (never knew of the ie spelling, though), Miracle Worker, Immortal Beloved, JFK, sympathetic strings (thank you, LOTR making of documentary—the Hardanger Fiddle plays the Rohan theme and Howard Shore talks about those), and Whitney Houston (wrong).

Sounded like J.B. got his Shatner mixed up—he was the star of that Twilight Zone ep.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL. Yes to all of the above.

Because I seldom pay attention to what category clues are in, I said "bocce" as that TS answer, then saw the category and stopped and tried to spell it in my head, then got all confused so figured it was wrong. So I was all WTH? along with everyone else that dictionaries -- but no living person anywhere -- spell it with "ie."

I did the same thing - then I googled it and saw that apparently boccie is an Anglicized way of spelling it, so I called foul as well.

Also got JFK - I knew just from watching Thirteen Days that the two of them were contemporary leaders. Not to say Khrushchev couldn't have overlapped with Eisenhower or LBJ, so I wasn't 100% sure I was correct, but JFK was the first person to come to mind.

Also Neptune tonight was an instaget. Seemed too easy for a FJ, with the inclusion of "Oceanus".

Boo, hiss on the butane reversal.  Unless there's a butane lamp I've never heard of -- unlike a kerosene lamp, which used to be pretty common in antique stores.  Despite that, it was a good game.  I only got one TS -- winch. 

Total face-palm for FJ.  It should have been an instaget with Oceanus, but I had no idea what the French word meant, and just randomly picked the wrong planet.

Also, Alex?  You really need to stop with the accents, especially the Valley Girl one (because that was the worst Valley Girl accent I've ever heard.  Or possibly the worst accent of any variety I've ever heard!).

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Wed's TS were Tallchief, Amy Adams, LeSaber (5055) , Baskets. FJ was an instaget thanks to the word circle in the clue. 

I see what you did there and I thank you for it.

17 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I don't think Sean was spelling slowly as much as carefully, and I don't blame him. Too bad it wasn't quick enough for the man who has all the answers in front of him. 

And a big BOO YEAH to this. No kidding. He can be so irksome sometimes. Well, most of the time.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Hope you feel better. 

Thanks.  Feeling halfway between crap and normal.  Just one of the hazards of working in a petri dish of disease.  AKA: an elementary school.  Germ ridden little buggers.

1 hour ago, SHD said:

Did Will have no idea what an anagram is?

Apparently not.  I love anagram word puzzles, so I was screaming at him the first time, then calling him a moron when he kept up with his ridiculous guesses.

Meghan is from my neck of the woods, so she was on my local news last night.  She said she's wanted to be on Jeopardy since she was a kid, and that Alex was super friendly, taking questions from the audience between games.  She was okay, but I could have done without her winking at me during the intro.  In fact, all three intros were pretty bad tonight.

Yesterday, I got boccie and JFK.  With zero confidence, I said JLo for FJ. I blame Today and their incessant pimping of her 10 day challenge for having her stuck in my brain.  Mariah never crossed my mind.

Today all I got was FJ.

• Love 3

Good close game.

Saint Elmo’s for the brimstone clue?  WTF?  Yes, I know, St. Elmo’s Fire, but what on earth about that clue led her there?  I guess because biblical was in the clue she went to saint, but, damn; even I know the phrase fire and brimstone, and you have to search to find someone who knows less about the bible than I do.  (But I didn't know brimstone referred to sulfur, so that's my learn something new for the day.)  I even did an internet search to see if there was an association between the weather phenomenon (assuming she wasn't referring to the song/movie!) and sulfur I wasn't aware of, but all I found were a couple of references to the the smells of the two things sometimes occurring together.  It was such a weird guess, I feel like I'm the one missing something and it actually wasn't weird.

And co-sign on wondering if Will knows what an anagram is.  Or how to spell.  Or something.  Because those wrong answers of his were really weird.

The "What a Dad Wants" category?  Um, a great many women and non-breeding men would like those things, too, J! writers.

Did we need the audio part of the Piano Man clue?!  That’s as bad as some of their picture clues.

I'm surprised winch was a TS when they went in order and got that clue right after the wench one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Boo, hiss on the butane reversal.  Unless there's a butane lamp I've never heard of -- unlike a kerosene lamp, which used to be pretty common in antique stores.  Despite that, it was a good game.  I only got one TS -- winch. 

Total face-palm for FJ.  It should have been an instaget with Oceanus, but I had no idea what the French word meant, and just randomly picked the wrong planet.

Also, Alex?  You really need to stop with the accents, especially the Valley Girl one (because that was the worst Valley Girl accent I've ever heard.  Or possibly the worst accent of any variety I've ever heard!).

I agree about the butane reversal. Also, I could have sworn Will said "Snoopy Doo" instead of Scooby Doo. 

I got Abelard and Heloise, but I missed FJ. I guessed Venus because I thought Venus was ocean blue, as in this picture.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I sure hope Will finds his indoor voice over the weekend. 

I didn't get any TS but FJ was an instaget. 

Lol. He was like that Will Farrell character on SNL. I give hin a pass on that because it may be caused by hearing problrms, but I couldn't root for him because it's unacceptable to go on Jeopardy and not know what an anagram is. 

Between that and St. Elmo's fire I did some head-scratching during the game. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

FJ said Native New Yorker and Madonna is from Michigan so I dismissed her immediately. But wouldn't have come up with Mariah Carey in a million years. 

I knew Madonna wasn't a native NY'er, so I went with Cyndi Lauper.  Probably too early to have been a correct response, but what I know about pop music after the 60s can be put in a thimble, unless it's Warren Zevon.

12 hours ago, lb60 said:

Meghan is from my neck of the woods,

When I was born, my family lived in Croydon, not too far from Bristol, so I was cheering for Meghan.

• Love 2
On 1/31/2019 at 7:34 PM, Bastet said:

PCH is more than "just a few miles" away from the studio.  The clue works because that’s not the main phrase, but it still bugs me.

I've just begun working with a project manager who doesn't seem to know what the word "few" means. When discussing tens of items I'd given her, she said she had a few. That worried me, because I thought something had gone wrong in the transfer. So I specified exactly how many I'd given her. She replied back, yes, I saw the few that you transferred. Arrghh! At least it gave me a heads up that I needed to be very, very careful with language when exchanging emails.

21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

All I had for FJ was "Madonna was too early for the decade in the clue, and Alicia Keys was too late".

I didn't listen to much "new" music in the 90's (too busy raising our kids on 60's and 70's rock and roll), but even if I had, Mariah wouldn't have entered my mind. Instead, the Mr and I both said "Beyonce" who, for some reason, we both remembered from Destiny's Child. Of course she didn't meet any of the criteria, but, oh well.

Edited by Clanstarling

I, too, got hung up on the NY part of the lady singers clue, with JLo coming to mind immediately. I know she's from the Bronx, and even though I didn't think she had the number of hits in the 90s as the clue stated, once I had her in my head, I couldn't think of anyone else. Didn't even know Mariah was from NY. 

There were some really bad guesses this week. One that stands out for me was a clue about birds, which specifically stated the answer was a body part that birds and humans share. One of them guessed 'talons'. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I, too, got hung up on the NY part of the lady singers clue, with JLo coming to mind immediately. I know she's from the Bronx, and even though I didn't think she had the number of hits in the 90s as the clue stated, once I had her in my head, I couldn't think of anyone else. Didn't even know Mariah was from NY. 

There were some really bad guesses this week. One that stands out for me was a clue about birds, which specifically stated the answer was a body part that birds and humans share. One of them guessed 'talons'. 

I had “Jenny from the Block” pop in my head from the NY part of the clue and it just wouldn’t stop playing in my mind to let me think about other artists. I knew she wasn’t 90s, but it’s hard to think when a song stomps around in the brain. 

We laughed at the talons answer in our household as I tell Mr. Pallida he has talons if his toenails get a little long. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Although I did not catch or follow the first answer in that category.  Was it "cry" and something?

Cried & .......something (riced? dicer?) God, am I terrible at anagrams (although I do know what one is)!

ETA: Found it! (neither of my guesses)  ANAGRAM PAIRS $400: Wept & an apple beverage
(Meghan: What is cider?)
(Alex: We need--)
(Meghan: Cried.)
(Alex: That's it. Give us both.)

Edited by illdoc
looked up a clue
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Although I did not catch or follow the first answer in that category.  Was it "cry" and something?

Cried and cider ("wept and an apple beverage").

While looking that up, I looked up Will's wrong answers to refresh my memory on just how odd they were.  For "true blue and a substance composed of two or more metals," he said, "compound and cobalt."  For "ASAP and a positively charged subatomic particle," he said, "proton and possible."  Even if he'd had the right answers, it annoys me when they're put in the wrong order ("true blue" comes first, so put "loyal" first, etc.).  But that's just a personal quirk; those answering correctly don't always do that, and it's accepted.  His version of anagram, however ... 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Cried and cider ("wept and an apple beverage").

While looking that up, I looked up Will's wrong answers to refresh my memory on just how odd they were.  For "true blue and a substance composed of two or more metals," he said, "compound and cobalt."  For "ASAP and a positively charged subatomic particle," he said, "proton and possible."  Even if he'd had the right answers, it annoys me when they're put in the wrong order ("true blue" comes first, so put "loyal" first, etc.).  But that's just a personal quirk; those answering correctly don't always do that, and it's accepted.  His version of anagram, however ... 

Perhaps he got alliteration and anagrams confused. J! is also big on alliterative categories.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Perhaps he got alliteration and anagrams confused. J! is also big on alliterative categories.

That sounds like a possibility. I was just ticked when the category came up. I have enough trouble with clues with a single anagram, but to have to come with both is nearly impossible (though I did get one, which is why "nearly"). My mind just doesn't work that way.

• Love 3
On 1/31/2019 at 2:12 PM, Bliss said:

Come to think of it, she never told me where the white went when the snow melted, either.

@Bliss, you posted this last Thursday but it sneaked into my head two nights ago and now I cannot get past the question, where DOES the white go when snow melts?

Anyone? Help me please! I'm trapped in this enigma!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

@Bliss, you posted this last Thursday but it sneaked into my head two nights ago and now I cannot get past the question, where DOES the white go when snow melts?

Anyone? Help me please! I'm trapped in this enigma!

Why is snow white? - https://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/climate-weather/atmospheric/question524.htm

From the article - "Snow is a whole bunch of individual ice crystals arranged together. When a light photon enters a layer of snow, it goes through an ice crystal on the top, which changes its direction slightly and sends it on to a new ice crystal, which does the same thing. Basically, all the crystals bounce the light all around so that it comes right back out of the snow pile. It does the same thing to all the different light frequencies, so all colors of light are bounced back out. The "color" of all the frequencies in the visible spectrum combined in equal measure is white, so this is the color we see in snow, while it's not the color we see in the individual ice crystals that form snow."

When the ice crystals turn into water, all that fancy light bouncing off crystals stuff stops.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Regarding the "Our fair city" category - I've only ever heard that term from the Car Talk guys, referring to Boston. That wasn't it. Then I thought, cities with Fair in the name? No. So, was it just "cities" or did I miss something?

• Love 2

My only get tonight was The Good Earth.

FJ was easy.  Well, once the answer was revealed, because before that I had no earthly clue.  I really should have known the answer.  I'm starting to think it might take my brain a day or so to kick in after the weekend.  

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, lb60 said:

My only get tonight was The Good Earth.

FJ was easy.  Well, once the answer was revealed, because before that I had no earthly clue.  I really should have known the answer.  I'm starting to think it might take my brain a day or so to kick in after the weekend.  

Instead of The Good Earth, I said The Pearl. I don't think they give points for naming a Steinbeck novel titled the first name of the author of the correct answer. Ugh.

I almost didn't get FJ because it seemed so obvious that I thought it must be wrong.

• Love 7

I didn't see Friday's show since I was unexpectedly out for the evening so I was new to Will tonight.  I understand his getting on people's nerves but I sort of have to root for him because I worked for over a decade about three blocks from the Players Club in Detroit.  Off to hide quietly in a Corner of Jeopardy-land now.

• Love 2

The Good Earth is the only TS/DD I wrote down. (Were there others?) Because the 30s and China means Pearl S. Buck.

I got FJ (Good For Me!) because that was the only word I could come up with and it happened to be right. Plus if I remember correctly, a filibuster was going on IRL not too long ago. At least this week won't be another Goose Egg Week for me in the FJ Contest. So, Good For Me x 2.

57 minutes ago, SHD said:

Instead of The Good Earth, I said The Pearl. I don't think they give points for naming a Steinbeck novel titled the first name of the author of the correct answer. Ugh.

I think there should be some sort of convoluted judgement/point system for this sort of thinking. I know I appreciate it. It's like the string theory of trivia.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

Encore Provence was a mildly surprising TS; I think they knew encore as the French word for again part of the clue, but didn't pick up on the fact all they needed to do to get the title being sought was add Provence to it.

The missed DD of The Good Earth was also surprising, but Susan’s “Holy shit, I seriously missed that?” style reaction when it was revealed was not; bad time for a brain fart.

Seriously, 98.6 (as the average body temperature) in anything beyond Kids Week?!

Which brings me to FJ.  Okay, Teen Tournament with that one; no surprise all three got it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SHD said:

Haha!  So close.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight!  Woo hoo!  I only got one TS, though -- The Good Earth.

But what was up with Will saying that "equestrian" was another word for "temblor"?

Will is so odd

He has some answers like that, or the anagrams category, where you wonder what he is thinking

Then there are others, things of I have never heard of and would never be able to get, that he knows. 

Easiest final jeopardy in awhile. 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:41 AM, Clanstarling said:

That sounds like a possibility. I was just ticked when the category came up. I have enough trouble with clues with a single anagram, but to have to come with both is nearly impossible (though I did get one, which is why "nearly"). My mind just doesn't work that way.

Yes I don't like those categories where you have to get two related answers because my mind doesn't work that quickly with them. 

I could get them, but not in five seconds or less. 

• Love 1
Just now, peeayebee said:

Instead of Nine Old Men I said Nine Wise Men. ARGH! "Old" had first come into my mind, but for some reason I dismissed it.

I couldn't remember how many (hangs head in shame). I had the Old and the Men....

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But what was up with Will saying that "equestrian" was another word for "temblor"?

Saying equestrian when he should have said earthquake, coupled with his obvious problem with anagrams in Friday's game, I wondered if he has some little mental quirk that makes it difficult to do word puzzles.

My only ts was Encore Provence. I knew the one answer was a book by Pearl S. Buck but I couldn't remember the name of it.  Usually, when it's a question about her, it's her name they want, not the book.

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got FJ (Good For Me!) because that was the only word I could come up with and it happened to be right. Plus if I remember correctly, a filibuster was going on IRL not too long ago.

Ditto.  Since it wasn't gerrymander (my other government go-to word) it had to be filibuster.  And I remembered there had been a filibuster fairly recently.  Will misspelled it, used two l's.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

From j-archive, the text of the clue was "Temblor is another name for this event."  I figure that Will focused on the word "event," started thinking of sporting events, and the only one he could come up with that started with "e" was "equestrian."  It wouldn't have fit the category, anyway, since it doesn't end with "e," but I suspect that's what he was thinking.  He might not even have registered the word "temblor," having got caught up in thinking "What's an event that starts with e?"  Sometimes you seize on something in the clue that you think is a hint, but it really isn't.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Nine Old Men I said Nine Wise Men. ARGH! "Old" had first come into my mind, but for some reason I dismissed it.

I just watched "The Old Man and the Gun" this weekend, and, strangely, I think it helped me get to "nine old men" because what else would they have called them before a woman showed up? I also had The Good Earth and FJ, but for me it just wasn't that fun of a game. Will had a pretty big lead, and I think I just checked out a bit while watching.

• Love 1