Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I probably shouldn't admit this, but here goes:  In the "'Urry Up" category, with the clue about Indians (and curry), my first thought was Native American Indians, and I couldn't for the life of me come up with any powder associated with them.  When the contestant said "curry", it was a revelation!  For no reason whatsoever, Indians from India never occurred to me.  Duh.

I have no problem admitting that's exactly what I thought as well.

Add the Mars rover Opportunity to the list of victims dead from the Jeopardy Curse. RIP Opportunity, 2/13/19.

I couldn't come up with FJ for the life of me, even after the answer was revealed. All I could think of was Nogales, where I crossed into Mexico, except that's not a color. However, it would work if the clue referenced edible cacti. I also thought Tijuana/San Diego but knew that was wrong, too. So ... I got nothin'.

I usually do not agree with other posters who think a player looks like someone famous, but now all I see is Fred Willard as the champ. Long may Mr. Willard reign!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I don’t remember any other TS that I knew, but I knew the TripAdvisor owl.  I’ve been a regular contributor on their Forums since 2005.  Maybe they need a more memorable mascot.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1

Congratulations Teebax!  We will all be rooting for you and I will repeating my vow to not be snarky in early April.  If it helps at all, Mother Grundoon turns 95 on April 6 so we will both add our happy thoughts to your taping time.  She's a retired teacher so would love for you to do well.

Edited by Grundoon59
Posted before I finished my thought.
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

One clue referenced a female Muppet. ARE there any options besides Miss Piggy? I can’t come up with any. 

There's Janice in the band and Camilla the chicken.

Edited by harrie
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

One clue referenced a female Muppet. ARE there any options besides Miss Piggy?

Not being a Muppets fan, I wondered that, too.  She's the only one I know, so she was my answer.

The first half of the first round seemed to go by more quickly than usual.

I wasn’t sure how I’d do with the romantic comedies category as I can count the ones I like on two hands and probably don’t even need all 10 fingers, but they picked ones I know (and a few I even like).  It was another good first round for me.  A pretty good second round, too, thanks to Supreme Court cases, space history, novels about turning 40, and a vocabulary category.  I even did well in the TV reboots category, only missing the game show.

I’m better than the average bear at geography, and it’s not uncommon for J! to, seemingly accommodating the way geography knowledge has declined, offer up pretty simple clues, so I’d have been tempted to wager quite aggressively on FJ if I was playing.  It would have paid off thanks to current events confirming my first guess.

Eric the lawyer getting beaten to the buzzer on all but one clue in the Supreme Court cases category caused a sympathetic chuckle (not as sympathetic as it would have been without those juvenile smiley faces in his name).

Edited by Bastet
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Add the Mars rover Opportunity to the list of victims dead from the Jeopardy Curse. RIP Opportunity, 2/13/19.

I was thinking that, too, but I couldn't remember the name of the spacecraft. 

I blame the wine.

The only Ts I got was the DD, history.

I had not idea about Brownsville. That was a good FJ question.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Why did you think it was easy? Has the origin of the name of Brownsville been in the news? (Of course I know THE BORDER has been in the news.

The category was colorful geography, it’s been in the news and 1846 is the start of the Mexican American War. No idea it was a soldier named Brown but all the other clues made it easy.

• Love 2

I was quite clueless on Final Jeopardy.  Of course I've heard about all the issues at the border, but I don't remember hearing Brownsville mentioned specifically.  Perhaps I just haven't been paying enough attention.

Congrats to Eric for breaking the "three-day champ" curse.  It's been awhile since we've had anyone go longer, but I figured he could do it if anyone could.  Too bad he mispronounced "Numismatist."  I had "numismatics" as one of my responses, as well, so I felt a weird coin-collecting kinship with him in that moment.  I thought he got screwed on the "$100,000 Pyramid" answer.  It seemed like Alex was prompting him for more information, which then turned out to be wrong.  Hasn't the show's official title been just "Pyramid" for awhile now?  Certainly that's what the Donny Osmond version was called.  Not that it ended up making a difference.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, teebax said:

I may be the only gay, black, left-handed female in the tournament, but who knows? Just look for someone named Tara.

As a fellow Tara, I would have been rooting for you regardless but now I'll have double the reason!

Congratulations!

• Love 3
16 hours ago, illdoc said:

But don't forget that the pellet with the poison is in the vessel with the pestle.

But, no! They broke the chalice from the palace. NOW the pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon.

I never understood this. Clearly, she originally dropped the pellet with the poison into the vessel with the pestle. How did she remove the pellet with the poison from the vessel with the pestle and then place it in the flagon with the dragon?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I probably shouldn't admit this, but here goes:  In the "'Urry Up" category, with the clue about Indians (and curry), my first thought was Native American Indians, and I couldn't for the life of me come up with any powder associated with them.  When the contestant said "curry", it was a revelation!  For no reason whatsoever, Indians from India never occurred to me.  Duh.

But I did manage to get TripAdvisor, Baltimore, Numismatist, and countinghouse.

FJ was not an instaget, because I started at the wrong end of the river, but I did get to Brownsville in time. 

I ran the Urry Up category.  I got countinghouse and Baltimore, but couldn't manage to come up with TripAdvisor although I could picture the owl they use in their commercials.  I said pontificating instead of pontification for the DD in 13 Letter Words - I'd have made them accept that one.

FJ: war in 1846 meant the War with Mexico, so I guessed a city in Texas with a color in the name.  Color me surprised that it was correct.

Damn it, so, so close to getting rid of Eric!

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

Darn, I believed the story about the dying sister and practiced liking him last night. Hearing about his wife and kids made him a bit more likable. But he still has some weird stances and reactions, which are making it hard. Mr. M and my 13-year-old think I'm too hard on J contestants anyway. I was rooting for Mitch!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I was quite clueless on Final Jeopardy.  Of course I've heard about all the issues at the border, but I don't remember hearing Brownsville mentioned specifically.  Perhaps I just haven't been paying enough attention.

I do pay attention and have not heard Brownsville in the news at all.

Going back a few days, learning Bermuda is in the middle of the Atlantic all by itself was news to me. I always "ass"umed it was down there with Jamaica and the Bahamas.

So where is the Bermuda triangle? That's what Inquiring Minds really want to know.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

where is the Bermuda triangle? That's what Inquiring Minds really want to know.

Bermuda is the Northern tip of the triangle. The tip of Florida and Puerto Rico are the other two points of the triangle.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2019 at 12:45 PM, teebax said:

This is a little off-topic, but I wanted all of you to see it. I made the Teachers Tournament for this year! I'm taking at the beginning of April, and it will air May 5-17th.

Not off topic at all!  Many congratulations!  I'll be watching and cheering you on--assuming you use the name "Teebax"on Jeopardy, which I'm sure you will. wink wink

Congrats again!  That's something to be VERY proud of!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Add the Mars rover Opportunity to the list of victims dead from the Jeopardy Curse.

Do you think we should have a thread, keeping track of these things??? "Jeopardy Curse--are YOU on the list?"

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Do you think we should have a thread, keeping track of these things??? "Jeopardy Curse--are YOU on the list?"

That would be cool, but there have been so many of them. We'd have to go back ages to get all The Cursed Ones included. Although I'd guess many of The Wise Ones here could help recall most of them. Maybe start with poor Opportunity?

• Love 1

I'm late to posting about yesterday's game. My family had a little surprise "you made it" party for me. Let me tell you, if they saw me trying to teach hungover they may not put me on the Teachers Tournament!

I had Trip Advisor, traveler, numismatics, $100,000 Pyramid, and pontification. I had no clue on FJ, and there was nothing in the clue that would've led me to Brownsville. I wonder if being a Texan helped Eric who, by the way, has been most impressive.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

I said tourist instead of traveler - so close:)

My ts's were 100,000 Pyramid, counting house and the missed DD of pontification - although I also said pontificating and figure it would have been accepted too.

Didn't get FJ.  I've heard of Brownsville and even know it's a border town but it didn't come to mind.  The "colourful" part of the clue led me to Orange NJ and I couldn't get beyond that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, teebax said:

I'm late to posting about yesterday's game. My family had a little surprise "you made it" party for me. Let me tell you, if they saw me trying to teach hungover they may not put me on the Teachers Tournament!

LOL! I want to be part of your family. Good for them! *drink*

Well, maybe make that a SOFT drink kind of drink.

26 minutes ago, Trey said:

The "colourful" part of the clue led me to Orange NJ and I couldn't get beyond that.

This made me laugh, so thanks for that. There is a rumor that some want to build a wall around New Jersey, so it might have been accepted.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

No game today because of a workplace shooting coverage.  Five dead and so is the shooter.  I’m so tired of  violence.  

Uggh. I was coming here to make a snarky remark about Alex’s contestant interviews, but that doesn’t seem so important now. 

• Love 1

I immediately thought of Carver, then immediately thought NO! The vulcanized rubber guy. Vulcan = Spock. NO! Rubber = city in Ohio = Akron. No, that's not a guy's name. Who invented vulcanized rubber ... Too late, time's up. Never in a zillion years would I have come up with Goodyear, which makes me feel better.

This from TheJeopardyFan.com:

As best as I can tell, Eric is the 7th straight 4-time champion to lose in going for win #5.

Also, as best as I can tell, Eric is the 9th person since Austin Rogers’ run to win on Monday through Thursday, and then lose on Friday.

Today was one of those games where the strategy leaves you scratching your head a bit. But the winner is the one with the most amount of money at the end, and that’s all that matters.

• Love 3
On 2/14/2019 at 12:45 PM, teebax said:

This is a little off-topic, but I wanted all of you to see it. I made the Teachers Tournament for this year! I'm taking at the beginning of April, and it will air May 5-17th.

Yay!! I can't wait to make fun of you. ;-)

8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I said pontificating instead of pontification for the DD in 13 Letter Words - I'd have made them accept that one.

As did I. I figured that would have been accepted, but you never know with the wacky judging on this show.

4 hours ago, teebax said:

.....if they saw me trying to teach hungover they may not put me on the Teachers Tournament!

Hahahahaha! Teacher of the Year.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

There is a rumor that some want to build a wall around New Jersey, so it might have been accepted.

Those people need to put a fence around themselves. And maybe parts of North Jersey. lol

democratic national convention dnc GIF by Election 2016

Anyway.....

Last night, I got traveler, $100,000 Pyramid, pontificating (assuming they would have accepted that), and FJ.

Tonight, I got knee. For FJ, I said GWC. Wrong!

• Love 2

Is Trebek the only human in the United States who has never heard of nor knows how to pronounce Livonia, that city in Michigan? Good god, I couldn't even recognize what city he was talking about until the player said it correctly.

What, he doesn't proofread his cards before he reads them? Or does he think everything should be pronounced with some weird inflection?

Never mind. I answered my own questions.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, teebax said:

I only had knee and Regan tonight but I did get FJ with a bit of a guess. 

That reminds me: As a life-long resident of Illinois, did any of us know this state had a holiday in honor of Pres. Reagan? No? Me neither.

I do know the East-West Tollway was renamed in his honor. Maybe because I can see it from my house.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

It was another great first round for me tonight; I loved the word puzzles, body parts, “so funny,” and wife categories especially (thanks go to the folks in The X-Files forum talking about a biblical Rachel who died in childbirth for me actually getting that one).  As often happens, I wasn’t quite as hot in DJ, but I did pretty well and loved the songs, Kafka, and homophonic pairs categories.  I did a report on Goodyear in elementary school, so that must be why FJ was pretty much an instaget for me; I didn't specifically remember either of those descriptions, but he quickly sprang to mind and fit the clue, so I stuck with him.

I’m surprised knee was a TS; that’s the only one in the body part category I wouldn’t have gotten just from the word alone, but with “as in genuflect” given as a (big) hint, I’m surprised none of them joined me in figuring it out.

Eric saying warrant for subpoena is something he won't live down at work anytime soon.  (The wrong president answer was on its face sillier, but he was flummoxed and just throwing out something he knew was wrong before time ran out.  Warrant, he believed was right.)

• Love 1

Sorry that Eric couldn't make it 5 wins, but I'm glad he broke the 3-game barrier. 

A Matter of Wife & Death needs to be a show on the ID channel. 

@teebax I'm so excited for you & will pretend to root against you lest I jinx you.  Can't wait to watch!! 

23 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I was shocked that only one person got Brownsville, I thought it was the easiest FJ this week in which has seemed to be crazy easy FJs.

After 2 weeks of 5/5 FJ, I only got one this week (Grey's Anatomy). 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, teebax said:

I wonder if being a Texan helped Eric who, by the way, has been most impressive.

Well, now we know -- He has an acquaintance who lives in Brownsville.

I got Rachel and Goodyear. Good for me! Initially I was thinking of GWC, but then I figured that the "plant metal" or whatever had to be rubber, and I immediately said Goodyear.

I didn't realize that Oscar Wilde had a wife.

Loved Amanda making that little joke about the homophone category.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Loved Amanda making that little joke about the homophone category.

That cracked me up:

Alex (after "sent scent" was a - surprising, to me, even for being the first clue uncovered in that category - TS): We're going to have fun with this one.
Amanda: Not yet. [Selects different category]

Was tonight the first time Johann Sebastian Bach was referred to as J.S. Bach?  It seems unlikely, but, on the other hand, I cannot recall hearing anything other than his full name (initially or upon receiving a BMS prompt after answering Bach, as Mark did).

Edited by Bastet

Amanda is cool.

My ts's were knee and sent/scent.

My first thought for FJ was Carver but I was doubtful, so, when MrTrey said Firestone I said yep, rubber is what those clues refer to. So, we sat there in smug confidence, watching contestants fall. Then the reveal - Goodyear! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I know I'm not the only one with "Vatican Rag" in their head when they hear "genuflect" (Bow your head with great respect and genuflect, genuflect, genuflect). A thorough knowledge of the Tom Lehrer song book is a good thing to have for Jeopardy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/14/2019 at 6:47 PM, zoey1996 said:

I don’t remember any other TS that I knew, but I knew the TripAdvisor owl.  I’ve been a regular contributor on their Forums since 2005.  Maybe they need a more memorable mascot.

I don't participate in the forums, but I have been on the site a time or two, and the logo stuck in my mind.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:55 PM, peeayebee said:

Why did you think it was easy? Has the origin of the name of Brownsville been in the news? (Of course I know THE BORDER has been in the news.

I had no clue about Brownsville - I didn't even know it was a town, much less a town in Texas. The only one I could think of on the border was El Paso, and that clearly wasn't it. It has that generic town name - xyzville. Those don't stick with me without additional reasons to remember them. And as for the border news - I follow it, but I only read the news, so I skim to get to the salient details.

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I immediately thought of Carver, then immediately thought NO! The vulcanized rubber guy. Vulcan = Spock. NO! Rubber = city in Ohio = Akron. No, that's not a guy's name. Who invented vulcanized rubber ... Too late, time's up. Never in a zillion years would I have come up with Goodyear, which makes me feel better.

Our antenna crapped out, so we missed Jeopardy last night. But I went on the Jeopardy fan site - and followed exactly that line of thought. It lead me to it - but mostly because I lived in Akron for one (thankfully) short month, and the Goodyear sign popped up in my memory. (If anyone's from Akron - it may be a lovely town, but I was there unwillingly because of my wandering Dad. So I don't mean to cast aspersions. I probably would have hated New Orleans too.)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1