Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I have never heard the word temblor, but as someone who has owned horses for over 30 years, I knew it wasn't equestrian. 

I loved the middle contestant's duck story.  Reminds me of James Veitch, the terrible flatmate

• Love 2
On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 5:53 PM, Sharpie66 said:

I think the photo was of Helen Keller, not Annie Sullivan.

Was it?  I haven't seen that many of her, either.

Why do the contestants I dislike win?  Indoor voice, Will, use your indoor voice!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

From j-archive, the text of the clue was "Temblor is another name for this event."  I figure that Will focused on the word "event," started thinking of sporting events, and the only one he could come up with that started with "e" was "equestrian."  It wouldn't have fit the category, anyway, since it doesn't end with "e," but I suspect that's what he was thinking.

Au contraire, I thought his answer could have been correct since "equestrienne" is a female rider or performer on horseback. As a female rider and performer on horseback myself, I knew that word began/ended with "e" and so fit the category. Of course, that also means I didn't know the definition of "temblor" either.

I thought Will dominated the game with his mad buzzer skillz and eclectic knowledge. I'd say I hope he continues to do well, but I don't wanna jinx him. *throws salt over left shoulder and spins around three times*

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I worked for over a decade about three blocks from the Players Club in Detroit

Grundoon, I've lived in Metro Detroit for 30 years and never heard of this place! Looking at their website, I can see they're pretty private

I was thinking FJ was too ridiculously easy and maybe they were looking for cloture or something more obscure

• Love 1
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Of course, that also means I didn't know the definition of "temblor" either.

Lived in California for many years, and experienced quite a few, so that one I had a pretty firm grip on (though I always thought it should be a "trembler" - LOL)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

For today's game, I had Katie Sagal, Point Nemo, lice, Julia Gordon Lowe, and Kindred, which I only knew because I've been playing old games on the archive. 

I said pony express immediately and was surprised it was a TS.

Will is a dominant player. I thought John was going to give him a run for his money, but he faded in DJ. 

• Love 7

The correct answer for FJ crossed my mind but I thought it didn't make sense. Boo hiss. Those guesses were all over the place. I was completely thrown by the Iditarod guess. That's what he wrote, right?

• Love 3

Thanks for nothing, John.  You really faded after a fast start.

Jade lost me by being a Patriots fan (#FlyEaglesFly).  She also played like she had never seen the show before. Pick a damn category.  I'm not getting any younger.

I still don't like Will.  

Uhhhh, I mean I love Will.  Hope he stays forever and ever.  ;-)

I was disappointed I didn't get lice.  lol  One year, we had eight kids in one class with the little buggers. Now excuse me while I scratch my scalp.

I got Katey Sagal tonight.

I briefly thought of the transcontinental railroad for FJ, then realized Pony Express made more sense.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 6

The hubby & I thought the FJ was easy tonight....Pony Express just jumped out at us.  The young lady(Jade?) seemed hesitant and not sure what to do(doesn't she watch the show?) and then looked surprised when she answered correctly. I was lol at her saying "football was her religion" and she had to get off work to watch the Patriots play(hope she watched the Super Bowl :)

• Love 4

As a proud former Girl Scout, I was sad that  Juliette Gordon Lowe was a TS when the cookies weren't (and I freely admit I love the cookies and have tagalongs, aka peanut butter patties, in my freezer year round). 

I also got Evangeline thanks to family history in Nova Scotia.

I got FJ immediately but am somewhat embarrassed to admit that it was partly due to the TV show The Young Riders.

Edited by Grundoon59
adding a comma
  • Love 3

Lots of TS's tonight. I got Katey Sagal, Nemo, Evangeline (had to memorize the opening lines of the prologue in middle school), lice, hail, Juliette Lowe, and FJ. I was rooting for "Jesus Hair" John and was disappointed that he fizzled out.

• Love 5

FJ was an instaget for me again tonight -- with an asterisk!  Like a lot of you, I was surprised no one got it.

I also got the TS of Katy Sagal, lice, and Pern.  I was terribly sad that they didn't know Pern.  I love those books -- well, at least the ones written by Anne.  I recommend those, but I also recommend that you stay far far away from any and all of the Pern books written by Anne's children.

For the "Voyager" answer, would they have accepted "Veeger"?  After all, that's how it's pronounced in the movie!

• Love 5

I did get lice. (LOL) Also the Pony Express which seemed like a surprising stumper. The Iditarod? Really? I also ran the sci-fi category and was sad to see both Pern and The Kindred missed. We have a local "If Everybody Read the Same Book" program and The Kindred was the choice a few years ago. Last year was The Distance Between Us, which was very good also. This year is American War by Omar El Akkad. I haven't read it yet, but I plan to.

• Love 2

Tonight’s game was preempted for me, but I was able to read the clues on the archive.

The Katey Sagal TS surprised me because her Peg, Married With Children role was one of those listed.  Lice, too; not that none of them knew it as a plague, but that none of them guessed it based on the kids part.  Same with hail, that no one even tossed it out there as a guess (and, seriously, Will, frogs?  Some of his wrong answers are so weird I wonder about him).  Juliette Gordon Low was surprising in that it seems like the founder of the Girl Scouts is something that has come up enough to be something at least one of three people studying for this game would remember it, but it’s entirely possible I’m the one misremembering and she hasn’t been a recurring subject.  The most surprising TS was FJ.  But, interestingly, Will had the least "Huh?" of the wrong guesses.

I did every bit as poorly in the sci-fi category as I predicted going in – a big ol’ goose egg. 

I got all the TS in the plagues category, Juliette Low, Point Nemo. Like a previous poster said, I thought Pony Express but couldn’t quite commit. Something about the wording of the clue was tricky.

I was rooting for John from NOLA but was surprised that he didn't get Evangeline. Guessing he didn't grow up there. 

GSC would be a Cliff Clavin category for me. 

TS I got were Katy Segall, Point Nemo, Evangeline, Juliet Gordon Low. FJ took me a sec but I eventually got it. But I don't think the Iditarod was a thing in the 19th century, but if it were I do not expect Buffalo Bill Cody would have been involved. 

2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Is it me or does the new champ shout?

Not just you. 

• Love 3

Wait were the answers to the TV who played em all women and them not acknowledge it in the name of the category!?

The TS of Pern made me sad. I loved those books as a kid.

FJ was an IG a similar question was asked in a recent repeat.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I can see where the guy was going with Iditarod.  That race is based on the time-sensitive delivery of diphtheria vaccine to Alaska, which used dog sleds (see Balto).  It crossed my mind after I wrote down Pony Express because I thought Pony Express was too obvious.

@biakbiak, you might still love the Pern books.  They hold up pretty well.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 4

I hate Will's mashing of the signalling device. 

That's driving my parents crazy also. 

There were a lot of TSs last night.  

The Katey Sagal TS surprised me because her Peg, Married With Children role was one of those listed.

Also because Katey Sagal is awesome.  Who doesn't know her? I was sad that they didn't included Leela from Futurama. 

• Love 1

When I hear Buffalo Bill Cody, I think "Wild West Show", not Pony Express. And then have songs from Annie Get Your Gun stuck in my head all day. Thanks, Trebek.

Come to think of it, I always miss Pony Express answers and I really shouldn't because it comes up on J all the damn time.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, ABay said:

I always miss Pony Express answers and I really shouldn't because it comes up on J all the damn time.

They may have spent more time talking about the Pony Express than the time it actually lasted.  It operated for 18 months, from April 1860 to October 1861, when it was superseded by the transcontinental telegraph.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, teebax said:

For today's game, I had Katie Sagal, Point Nemo, lice, Julia Gordon Lowe, and Kindred, which I only knew because I've been playing old games on the archive. 

I said pony express immediately and was surprised it was a TS.

Will is a dominant player. I thought John was going to give him a run for his money, but he faded in DJ. 

I knew Katey Sagal but couldn't come up with her name.  Then I got Lord Baden Powell confused with Juliette Gordon Lowe, and also couldn't drage Kindred out of my brain.  I was very sad that no one knew Pern.  Like Browncoat, I love the Anne McCaffrey-penned Pern books.  I did know Voyager, Evangeline and Nemo.

Pony Express was ridiculously easy.

I was so hoping John would eliminate Will for me.  Damn it.

I also got hail, which was a TS, unlike Voyager, which John got.

I wouldn't have given Will credit for s'more - it's s'mores, damn it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I did every bit as poorly in the sci-fi category as I predicted going in – a big ol’ goose egg. 

It's usually a good category for me, so I was disappointed to miss both The Sirens of Titan and Kindred.

17 hours ago, lb60 said:

I was disappointed I didn't get lice.  lol  One year, we had eight kids in one class with the little buggers. Now excuse me while I scratch my scalp.

Thanks a lot. *scratchscratchscratch*

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Lice, too; not that none of them knew it as a plague, but that none of them guessed it based on the kids part.  Same with hail, that no one even tossed it out there as a guess (and, seriously, Will, frogs? 

Wasn't raining frogs one of the plagues? Or was that just in the movie 'Magnolia'?

I hadn't heard of (or didn't remember) lice and hail being two of the plagues. If they weren't included in "The Ten Commandments" maybe that's why no one knew them.

10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Wait were the answers to the TV who played em all women and them not acknowledge it in the name of the category!?

I just went back to check. You're right! I feel like the writers are giving us a shoutout.

The only TS I got was Pony Express. At least it gave me an asterisk. woohoo.

I couldn't remember Katey Sagal's name. "Katie... Kaley..."

I wondered about the clue for shortbread that said it was a type of bread with loads of butter. Is it really a bread? I don't think anyone considers it that.

I have a general question: Do you think you need to use the words "a true Daily Double" to bet your entire score? It always sounds a bit silly to me, but I don't know what the alternative would be. I guess you could just say, "I'd like to bet it all."

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Wasn't raining frogs one of the plagues? Or was that just in the movie 'Magnolia'?

Frogs were the second plague.  Not a rain of them, though, they just came up out of the Nile and "covered the land."

I don't think there are any magic words for making your bet "a true Daily Double."  I should think you could also say "Bet it all," or just give the amount that you have.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Wasn't raining frogs one of the plagues?

I think frogs were one of them, but they were coming up out of the river or something, not raining down.  (Although they were in the hilarious "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky" moment in The X-Files.)  So when thinking of something that would "rain" on the land, breaking every tree in the field, hail springs to mind much more readily than frogs. 

7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I wondered about the clue for shortbread that said it was a type of bread with loads of butter. Is it really a bread? I don't think anyone considers it that.

The clue had "bread" in quotation marks, precisely because it's not really a bread. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I was rooting for John from NOLA but was surprised that he didn't get Evangeline. Guessing he didn't grow up there. 

I grew up in on the prairies of the Midwest but I got Evangeline. Maybe teaching it in school, where I learned it, was stopped Before Their Time.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I was disappointed to miss both The Sirens of Titan

Vonnegut! My favorite author! Kilgore Trout! Venus On The Half Shell!

4 hours ago, ABay said:

When I hear Buffalo Bill Cody, I think "Wild West Show", not Pony Express.

Cody claimed he rode for the Pony Express when he was 14, although that's been debunked as ... bunk. Sidebar: Bill  Cody's homestead is not far from where I live. A bunch of us rode past it last summer when I was a plus-one biker chick riding with a bunch of Harley guys. But that's another story altogether.

5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I was sad that they didn't included Leela from Futurama. 

My thought exactly. I LOVE that show.

Jade + football = she couldn't get off this show quickly enough for me.

Let me clarify that I did get the TS of lice, just not the actual lice. Back when I was in grade and middle school, it was courtesy to let others borrow your comb, a practice that was frowned upon, and now I know why: those little arthropods!

I'm back living in Bizarro World since FJ was an IG for me, yet an asterisk for the three brainiacs competing on this show. Bizarro World indeed.

11 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Do you think you need to use the words "a true Daily Double" to bet your entire score? It always sounds a bit silly to me, but I don't know what the alternative would be. I guess you could just say, "I'd like to bet it all."

I hate it when any player says, "I've always wanted to say this, Alex, make it a True Daily Double." I much prefer the Alex Jacob style: "Bet it all."

That worked pretty well for him.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Sidebar: Bill  Cody's homestead is not far from where I live. A bunch of us rode past it last summer when I was a plus-one biker chick riding with a bunch of Harley guys. But that's another story altogether

This is a story I really want to hear.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

This is a story I really want to hear.

Let's just say I'd have enough crazy stories to fill a whole year of Jeopardy interviews. Harley Biker Chick is just one of them. I've done (almost) everything, from crewing hot-air-balloons to spelunking to hang gliding when that was a thing.

Although I have to say I didn't fit well with the Harley guys when we would ride to the biker bar to hang out on biker night. Everyone would get a beer, I would order ice tea.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, FiveString said:

It's not you. The combo of the shouting and flat affect is irritating AF.

He was a DJ! That's a show I'd have had to skip, and I actually like jazz. 

I had mock apple pie, Woonsocket, and Peter. I said Denmark for FJ. I had a streak of FJ gets and blew it. Boo hiss. 

Was anyone else yelling at Bif to pick clues faster? It'd been a while since I've noticed a slow player, and now we've had them two days in a row! He was fine otherwise but I hope he speeds it up tomorrow. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Bif is quite handsome (he looks like if Geoff Britten from American Ninja Warrior and John Mulaney had a baby), but he speaks a bit too fast. It was hard to understand him most of the time.

I thought of the young Ken Berry. Anyway, I'm glad he deposed shouty Will. Too bad Bryan couldn't come up with Checkers. I hope his quiz bowl students don't razz him too much.

I missed FJ (thought of Denmark) but came up with mock apple pie and Woonsocket.

There was a question about "pipes" where the answer was diamonds. It seemed like a very strange clue to me--can someone explain?

• Love 3

Trebek, it's really not polite to laugh at a contestant's name.

It's also not that odd to commute via bike in a city. I did it for years when I worked for the feds. It was exhilarating to fly by all that stopped traffic on my bike, and I got home faster than if I drove my car. So, STFU about that, too, Trebek.

Bryan got a GFY. *drink* Thanks, I needed that.

I got mock apple pie and am fully familiar with the Checkers speech. Because, you know, we weren't going to have Dick Nixon to kick around any more after that.

I'm back to The Real World for FJ. I knew it was one of those Scandinavian countries and was pondering between Norway and Denmark. Go figure it would be the land my father came from. I'm an embarrassment to my Swedish heritage.

Sorry to see Will go. I liked everything about him, including his brain. Especially his brain!

40 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

There was a question about "pipes" where the answer was diamonds. It seemed like a very strange clue to me--can someone explain?

Yeah, I did not get that "pipes" and "diamonds" thing either.

40 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought of the young Ken Berry.

Mr. Berry is from my home town and went to school with my sister, who had a big crush on him. She took me to get his autograph and photo at a Sears store when he came back to town during his stint on F Troop. RIP Ken Berry.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

I said Denmark for FJ and then started second guessing myself immediately.  I did better on Women of the Bible than I expected but it would still be one of problem categories.  

I felt bad for Bryan on the Checkers DD.  You could tell he knew it in the deepest recesses of his brain but couldn't find the retrieval button. 

Loved the Independent Bookstore category.  When so many are going under, we must cherish the survivors.  I feel old sometimes when I remember Borders back when it was an Independent Bookstore.

Edited by Grundoon59
  • Love 4