Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

Since Si can't drink, I'm having an extra glass of wine tonight in his honor.

I've never seen someone look so absolutely miserable on his wedding day. Even if it was due to normal stress and exhaustion you'd think there'd be some twinkle in his eye over the fact he's finally gonna get laid tonight.

As for Lauren she seemed to be begging the camera for confirmation that she didn't just totally ruin her life. "I'm happy!!!" "Don't I look HAPPY!!!" "Somebody please save me!!!".

They were rattling off all the right platitudes but their body language and facial expressions didn't match the words at all. Those poor kids.

• Love 24
(edited)

Haven’t followed this at all — why do we think Josiah isn’t happy? Do we really believe he’s gay? Bc I’m thinking if he were straight, he’d be expressing some excitement and happiness even if he didn’t feel 100% in love with Lauren bc he’d be getting kissed and laid finally. I mean there’s lots of fundies who later turn out to have disastrous marriages — yet on the wedding day, if nothing else the guys are happy to be hours away from the wedding night. Thinking of all the Duggar and Bates weddings we’ve seen this is the least enthusiasm we’ve seen from any groom - and this is a guy who had a LOT of personality and was never shy. Even the quiet/more reserved grooms like Joe, John Webster still seemed emotional. Derek was under a tremendous amount of stress when he got married yet in his pics he still looked happy though exhausted and when he spoke he did have that  glimmer of - MY wife, can’t wait to get to the hotel.

In that video Josiah talks about the wedding/marriage the way most of us talk about a new job being a good opportunity, while she is clinging to him — he doesn’t even touch her once. And in the still pic, anyone think his eyes look kind of red/puffy? Hope that was happy tears before the ceremony but IDK.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 20
4 hours ago, McManda said:

I like her dress insomuch as it's one cohesive dress (no Miss Whatshername Frankenstein dress) and it's not a poofy ball gown. 

I had been thinking it looked like a plaster cast, but this is true.

Josiah has on a Britney Spears smile, only with less teeth.

• Love 5

FWIW, I don't believe Josiah is gay, I just don't think Lauren is his type. She actually reminds me of Priscilla Waller. She has that airheaded, empty demeanor where she mirrors her husband's behavior and comments but would give you a blank stare if you asked for her opinion on anything. I think Si would've preferred someone with a bit more substance.

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

FWIW, I don't believe Josiah is gay, I just don't think Lauren is his type. She actually reminds me of Priscilla Waller. She has that airheaded, empty demeanor where she mirrors her husband's behavior and comments but would give you a blank stare if you asked for her opinion on anything. I think Si would've preferred someone with a bit more substance.

Given that he's clearly miserable and Lauren seems to be overcompensating ("we're STILL living in a dream!!!" just minutes after the wedding while clawing at Josiah's arm), there's something really off about this whole situation. Why would he feel the need to get married to her so soon if there is no attraction and he's "only" 21, assuming he has agency in this (John David waited until he was 28 to court, after all--when he found the right person). So if Josiah picked Lauren himself, why, if he's obviously not into her? And if JB/Michelle forced him into it and it just isn't a good match, why couldn't they have found a better one for him? Presumably they want the marriage to work.

• Love 11
(edited)
14 hours ago, graefin said:

Best description ever: a plaster cast. Now that you said it, I cannot unsee it as that!

Miss Renee must be fuming over the fact that she can’t sell a dress called “The Lauren” or supplied the bridesmaids’ dresses.

I am still floored they CinderJana freakin’ made the eight bridesmaid dresses. Now I really can’t wait to see them! 

I wasn’t aware that Anna knew how to do anything other than pop out babies. Perhaps she picked up that particular skill set as a legitimate reason to always have a needle, seam ripper or other sharp objects in her hand should Smuggar step out of line?!

Or, she’s already planning on how to be a self sufficient single mom when the day arrives that she finally leaves his pathetic ass?!?!

As stated previously, the dress is a big miss for me, especially with that hideous hair. It looks so messy! I know it was hot & humid in AK today, but as someone posted, calling in Josie Bates for hair duty would’ve been the best thing she could’ve done. 

The long hair also covered up any jewelry she might’ve been wearing; another reason I don’t care for her dress.

Surely pulling her hair halfway up would’ve been a much better choice? For someone who has eleventy billion colors as part of their theme, I was surprised at how “boring” they both looked. No flowers in her hair and no bright corsage, tie or socks on Josiah. The photo from People could’ve been printed in black & white and it would’ve looked the same. While I’m in the shallow end of the pool, the color of Josiah’s suit seemed awfully dark for a summer wedding. 

Maybe I missed it, but do we know who made Lauren’s dress? The more I look at it, the more I kind of like the shape of it from the waist down. It’s those damn t-shirt style sleeves that ruin the whole look for me. I personally think it’s also too plain (fabric wise), so it probably didn’t photograph well. That said, wouldn’t having a dress photograph well be important to a bride because of those important keepsakes known as photos? ?

I don’t sew, so pls forgive me if I screw up the terminology, but some type of a lace overlay or any subtle placement of texture or a trim around the dress would've been chic, elegant and modern. It would’ve added some much needed-yet-subtle pizzazz to the dress without looking anything like Kendra’s disco ball top. 

Edited by Bridget
Extra snark. Also, I can see, but I cannot sew. Damn auto correct.
  • Love 7

People says the dress was from The White Dress Boutique in Rogers, AR.

Agree that the dress could have used some embellishment and that her hair was a mess, but the latter seems to be a prerequisite for Duggar weddings. I think it's because they insist on wearing it down, but I'm sure there are ways to do so without it looking like they just rolled out of bed. 

And last time Jana was conscripted into dress-making for Jill, Anna sympathetically remarked that someone should be helping her. I guess since Jana's other sisters were too lazy to do it, Anna stepped up this time, so good for her. 

• Love 15
(edited)

In the video Lauren reminded me of Anna back in the day. When I saw the wedding picture all I could think of was the Gong Show.

I don't hate Lauren's dress, but the sleeves make it look a little to much like a Nurse's uniform. 

I don't think TLC ever paid for the weddings. Jessa said JB gave them a set amount to spend however they wanted. Jessa said she went cheap on the wedding to have more money for the honeymoon. I kind of looked at JB's set amount as pay back or back pay, for their childhood years on the show in addition to the Bride's parents traditional responsibility to finance a daughter's wedding.. 

I do think TLC contributes to the honeymoons but I don't think they foot the entire bill.

The next few weddings will be Duggar boys so I'm guessing we'll be seeing more mints and punch bowls receptions.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, graefin said:

And less chewing gum. 

Josiah isn't wearing a wedding ring? I'm not surprised that he doesn't want to be reminded that he's married every time he glances at his hands.

I agree that "April Duggar" will be coming along very soon now.

No one that I know of says that they're going to 'slow down' after marriage. What the heck does that mean? What are they going to live on for money?

A sad, strange event IMO. Lauren looked like she's trying hard to come across as 'so very happy' and Josiah has dead, scared eyes. What is wrong with BOTH of their parents?

• Love 11

That video was cringe worthy. So, he says now that they are married, they are going to slow down and get to know each other.   Perhaps they should have done that before getting married?

The Dillard’s video:

D66052BB-C8F1-4212-B3D7-130EDED6A387.jpeg

• Love 7

Her gown almost looks like an LDS Temple Sealing gown but the sleeves were too short. Take that Duggars! The Mormons outmodest you in the wedding gown department!

• Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

That video was cringe worthy. So, he says now that they are married, they are going to slow down and get to know each other.   Perhaps they should have done that before getting married?

The Dillard’s video:

Wait, Dickard wasn’t at the wedding?

??Back at you Izzy, whatever that means. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Wait, Dickard wasn’t at the wedding?

I tried to watch the video again, but the sound isn’t playing for me now. What did they say that makes you think that?

• Love 1

Perhaps “slowing things down” means he isn’t planning on knocking her up right away.   He sounded so hesitant and careful about the whole thing.   Maybe he wasn’t even ready to have sex with her.  He mentioned taking the first year to “spend time together and get to know each other”.   So odd. 

I’m not so sure the wedding was consummated last night - just like I don’t believe TFDW got busy on his wedding night.   Mmv 

• Love 16

That dress is surprisingly form fitting for their circle.  Jana made the bridesmaids dresses (with Anna's help), I hope that was entirely her choice and she was happy to do it not forced or guilted into it as a sort of CinderJana that I sometimes think she's come to be (not to go to off-topic but it's hard to figure out with her where "I'm happy with the life I have" ends and "I'm the Duggar's designated slave" begins).

I'm going to be the voice of dissent on how happy Josiah is.  When you look at a picture different people see different things so I completely get where many see an unhappy groom.  But when I look I see a guy who can't "pose".  Sort of reminds me of the Friends episode where Chandler can't smile for the engagement picture.  It seems like if he can put on a goofy face or be caught in a candid moment he's fine but when he tries to pose for a formal picture he can't get his face to cooperate.  Just an IMHO thought.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, graefin said:

And if JB/Michelle forced him into it and it just isn't a good match, why couldn't they have found a better one for him? Presumably they want the marriage to work.

I think what the kidults that are dependent on JB & Michelle do or don't want is immaterial.  Most of us assume his courting of Marjorie crashed and burned on HER say so.  Could be Josiah just didn't care at this point.  As the title of this thread points out, he has to marry somebody.  Lauren was just a willing sacrifice.  

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Lunera said:

What does he mean by slowing things down the 1st year? To me that sounds like he wants to get to know his wife better and doesn't want kids right away. Are they planning on being celibate for a year to prevent children? If not Lauren will be pregnant within the week and there's nothing slow about that. 

This guy is absolutely miserable and Lauren is totally clueless.

Another Derick and Jill type marriage in the making.

And please do not get me started on the Jill and Deredick congratulations video.

5 hours ago, Temperance said:

Anna had been shown using a sewing machine and to be a competent sewer.  She also is better cook than her SILs.

Anna made her own bridesmaid dresses.

• Love 4

I don't know who I feel sorry for more. Josiah, whether gay or not, is so miserable and clearly not into this marriage at all. Lauren who is so completely clueless and entirely too grabby in that video, that it even made me uncomfortable. Too me it seems she's just all about the wedding and now be "married" and how she can make seventy million babies. I weep for both of them and what the wedding night must've been like.. These people lead the most pathetic lives..

• Love 12

Did anyone from the Bates family go? Usually Nathan is everywhere and he takes lots of pictures. I haven't seen any besides the ones on FJ.

Wonder too who the best man was?

• Love 2

Damn, I woke up excited to see the bridesmaids dresses (nope, don’t have a life)! 

It looks like Jill and Dreck have nice-ish hair, and the boys are probably wearing their finest polo shirts. They ran home from the wedding to make that video. Yay!! Jesus!!

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Wonder too who the best man was?

I wonder if Josiah had any groomsmen that were not his brothers. Eight (to match the # of bridesmaids) would cover all his brothers except Josh, right?

(edited)
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

The Dillard’s video:

I thought the courting stage was the stage that they are getting to know each other.  Didn't  Josiah say that they knew the whole family for a long long time so because of that they should have known each other already

Edited by Rabbittron
Cat pushed save too early
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I thought Izzy was cute when he said he loves eating pizza with Si and Lauren.

I wouldn't be surprised if Uncle Si was Izzy's favorite relative. Despite having most of the spirit crushed out of him by his parents, I can see him being the "fun uncle" or at least the uncle who's always kind and patient, listening to the kid instead of lecturing him. 

• Love 19

I don't want to say I'll give them a pass on saying they'll get to know each other post-marriage, because unless you're in an explicitly arranged marriage situation that's a little odd, but all of the Duggar kids have said that post-wedding, so I wouldn't call it a particular shocker. 

From what I can see, courtship seems to be about the parents makiing sure the guy is the right kind of fundie (the girl's religious credentials seem less important). For the soon-to-be-marrieds, it seems like a giddy whorl of "You like pickles? Me too!" "You love Jesus? Me too!!" like when you make a best friend in grade two. I'm actually just a little impressed that they have the wherewithal to realize that those (chaperoned) conversations aren't the same as actually getting to know someone.

• Love 16
(edited)

Looks like Sierra and her strawberries may have been involved.

Screenshot_20180701-103836_Instagram.jpg

And Sam's "the fuck?" furrowed-brow expression in the Dillard congrats vid is the best! Yay!

Edited by graefin
  • Love 8

I love strawberries and homemade cake as much as the next person, and many times the professionally made ones don't taste as good as they look - but damn. Those cupcakes look terrible! I'm hoping it's a bad photo, and if the person who made them is a "professional," shame on them. Have they never heard of continuity?

Having said that, I'd try one. I'm sure they taste good. But in this Instagram day and age, especially with how obsessed these losers are with appearances, this was a huge miss.

• Love 13

I agree with those who say they didn't like the t-shirt style. It looked like poor Anna all over again. Any kind of embellishment would have made it better. I do like the shape of the full dress, but the t-shirt look ruins it for me. I would hate to have been married at eighteen, and have these pictures to look back on. I bet one day, she will wish she hadn't chosen (or been coerced to choose) something so plain. She probably has no idea what real options are out there. I look back at my high school fashion and cringe, but at least that did not include my wedding day!

I always have had the feeling that Josiah is gay, but found genuine friendship in Marjorie. He lit up when they played piano and sang together, and really, anytime she was around! As a musician, I have known plenty of closeted gay men dating women, and they have genuinely been best friends, with a real romantic affection for their girlfriends. I absolutely think gay men are capable of romantic love (sappy admiration and a kiss or two) with a woman, but wanting a normal sexual relationship is likely out of the question. Now, with lauren, I feel that Si is playing along to get out of the house. I have never seen such a miserable groom. I wonder if he thought he would develop the feelings he had for Marjorie, but they never came. Poor Lauren. I hope it's not a sexless marriage, but they have literally their whole lives for it to turn into one. Sexless relationships are torture, unless you're abstinent by choice!

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Can't wait to see where the Lords gonna take them on this crazy adventure. Seriously... Really... Words escape me...

An uncomfortable first year of getting to "know" each other, multiple babies, stilted talking heads for TLC, and then abject poverty when the TV money dries up and Si has to find a job with his abysmal homeschool education and total lack of work ethic.

• Love 19
9 hours ago, cereality said:

Haven’t followed this at all — why do we think Josiah isn’t happy? Do we really believe he’s gay? Bc I’m thinking if he were straight, he’d be expressing some excitement and happiness even if he didn’t feel 100% in love with Lauren bc he’d be getting kissed and laid finally. I mean there’s lots of fundies who later turn out to have disastrous marriages — yet on the wedding day, if nothing else the guys are happy to be hours away from the wedding night. Thinking of all the Duggar and Bates weddings we’ve seen this is the least enthusiasm we’ve seen from any groom - and this is a guy who had a LOT of personality and was never shy. Even the quiet/more reserved grooms like Joe, John Webster still seemed emotional. Derek was under a tremendous amount of stress when he got married yet in his pics he still looked happy though exhausted and when he spoke he did have that  glimmer of - MY wife, can’t wait to get to the hotel.

In that video Josiah talks about the wedding/marriage the way most of us talk about a new job being a good opportunity, while she is clinging to him — he doesn’t even touch her once. And in the still pic, anyone think his eyes look kind of red/puffy? Hope that was happy tears before the ceremony but IDK.

Omg I can't agree with this more. Derick was under so much stress...his mom's deathly illness, working his first real job at Walmart, being featured on a huge hit tv show (I find it a little different now...the show is not as popular, and Jill was the first girl married, with all the hoopla to go along with it). Yet, he seemed physically attracted to Jill, and very excited about the wedding night! That excitement even lasted close to a year probably...he said the next season that they were forever in the honeymoon phase and I rolled my eyes sooo hard. Yet, their marriage started out so well...they seemed like a match, and very attracted to each other...and now it is horrible. Now Josiah and Lauren can reset the low bar and show us how awful a Duggar marriage can turn out!

• Love 6
16 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Josiah looks miserable.  She looks clueless and who let her have her hair like that?  What is with these girls and not knowing any hair up gorgeous styles for the day?  I read her father did her ceremony like Kendra's dad did.  Is it cool in the Fundie circle that a "pastor" can come into another one's church and do a ceremony? I've never seen that before.  It was always the priest(s), pastor(s) came with the church.  

If they did a candy bar like the one in the photo it would probably involve butcher paper and styrofoam bowls.  So sad.  

We're not fundie, and dh's dad did our service. He was an ordained Presbyterian minister. It was really cool to have him do it.

14 hours ago, McManda said:

I like her dress insomuch as it's one cohesive dress (no Miss Whatshername Frankenstein dress) and it's not a poofy ball gown. 

Me too. I'm a fan of simple. Too many wedding dresses these day are trying to do EVERYTHING and they sort of throw everything but the kitchen sink at it--sparkles, lace, ruching, flowers, pearls, tulle.

2 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Perhaps “slowing things down” means he isn’t planning on knocking her up right away.   He sounded so hesitant and careful about the whole thing.   Maybe he wasn’t even ready to have sex with her.  He mentioned taking the first year to “spend time together and get to know each other”.   So odd. 

I’m not so sure the wedding was consummated last night - just like I don’t believe TFDW got busy on his wedding night.   Mmv 

I was wondering, too, if he might use the "I want to know you a lot better before we sleep together" excuse? First time can be kind of nerve-wracking anyhow.

2 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I'm going to be the voice of dissent on how happy Josiah is.  When you look at a picture different people see different things so I completely get where many see an unhappy groom.  But when I look I see a guy who can't "pose".  Sort of reminds me of the Friends episode where Chandler can't smile for the engagement picture.  It seems like if he can put on a goofy face or be caught in a candid moment he's fine but when he tries to pose for a formal picture he can't get his face to cooperate.  Just an IMHO thought.

This is entirely possible. dh HATES being photographed and just hates that "programmed smile" look, so of course our wedding day was torture when it came to posing for photos. :P

• Love 15

Gods that video was painful to watch.  I'm waiting for him to yell at Lauren "Let go of my arm, woman!"  That vapid look on her face as she gazes at her headship is just horrific.  

I'm guessing Jill and Derilick weren't at the wedding? or did they run home to make a video?  Odd.

I did not realize until someone mentioned it here that they really did paint a tire white and hang it from the ceiling for their backdrop. What were they thinking?

Not a fan of the dress and the hair.

I think she's miserable but she doesn't understand why because she's SUPPOSE to be happy.  Josiah looks resigned and dead inside, esp. after seeing that bowtie fun picture of him from a few years ago.  And while seeing this makes me despise Boob and J'chelle even more, what the HELL were Lauren's parents thinking to let it go this far?

• Love 11

I really like Lauren's dress.  The fabric makes or breaks that kind of dress.  In person it may look classic and elegant.  Everyone regrets fashion choices when they look back.  Fashions and tastes mature.  I also like the heart shaped cake.  As long as it was what Josiah and Lauren wanted.  No reason to follow tradition and have a tiered cake if that's not what you want.

I hope and pray that Josiah wanting to take it slow means babies.  Courting with a chaperone present doesn't give much change to get to know each other.  Even for couples who've been together a long time, living together is quite an adjustment.  Add in learning about sex and what their intimacy needs are it can be rough.  Who knows how much either of them know or what they expect.  

Jill and Derick should have taken their time.  Jill seems to want to still be in the honeymoon phase.  Having fun with her husband, having him to herself. They had barely learned to live together and she had two babies and difficult births.  I feel like that's why they seem to resent Izzy.  He barged in on their honeymoon time.  

• Love 20

Regarding Anna‘s sewing skills, I seem to remember that she made her own wedding dress plus the bridesmaid’s dresses. Since she was doing all of that work she probably didn’t have time to embellish her wedding gown.

Lauren’s simple wedding gown may have cost less than a fancier gown. If her family was paying for everything that may have been a consideration. No freebies for this wedding. 

... I wonder if there will be an annulment after a few months... (non consummation of the marriage Is grounds for an annulment).

I MUST see those bridesmaid dresses!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Temperance said:

Anna had been shown using a sewing machine and to be a competent sewer.  She also is better cook than her SILs.

Anna’s got a crappy husband, but she’s been shown to be a really good mom.  She just needs to stop popping out blessings so she can continue to be a good mom, rather than overwhelmed. 

• Love 17

Josiah could have a problem posing – but the pic where they’re standing by the cake is a candid and it doesn’t look particularly comfortable either; and the TLC video – come on this kid grew up on TLC and he has personality – he can turn it on.  Even his day to day IG pics – many of which are posed – look happier; whether gay or not, I wonder if the enormity of marriage for the rest of his life was hitting him that day.  I also wonder if he looks at Joseph who while much quieter than Josiah was very excited/emotional/physically into his wife on their wedding day – and Si is thinking, I should feel like THAT, why don’t I feel like THAT?

Also, why the rush to marry, whether gay or not? He’s only 21, she’s only 18.  As much as JB acts like a big swinging dick, reality is he hasn’t been able to marry off anyone who didn’t want to marry.  Jana – 28 – not married and clearly he’s been unable to force her.  JD – 28 – just started courting yesterday.  And there hasn’t been any rush on boy weddings generally; JB looks to get the girls attached to a headship so they can start making babies and isn’t all that concerned if a boy marries 2 yrs later – or in JD’s case many yrs later – than what JB and Michelle consider optimal.  If Josiah knew he wasn’t into it – why pursue it?? I realize he couldn’t have broken off the courtship bc JB and Michelle would freak out that he was unmarriable.  But why enter the courtship at all when you know courtship leads to marriage in 10 minutes? Even if JB was pushing – ahem that girl is nice, she likes you – can’t you tell dad that your heart is still stuck on Marjorie and you need to pray that away first? Or the Lord isn’t leading you in Lauren’s direction yet but you’ll pray?

If he is gay, I wonder why he was so happy with Marjorie? I only saw a few videos of theirs and they were obnoxiously goofy happy together.  I feel like he could have made a marriage with her work, even if he truly didn’t like women.  This marriage – he’s acting like it’ll be 60 years at a job he doesn’t want to take.  Their TLC video is worse than what I remember of Josh and Anna.  She is clinging to him for dear life like Anna did -- trying to please him/make him feel important as the headship, and he just DOES NOT CARE.  You’d think JB and Michelle would learn – when a child has a “problem” whether it’s not being straight (not a problem for me – but it is to them) or being a sexual predator – the fix to that is NOT, marry him off, once he has a wife and family his problem will be all better.  That worked out so well for Josh, didn’t it . . . .

I don’t think of Josiah as as much of an ass as Josh but desperation can lead you to do bad things – wonder if there will be hidden affairs in a few years.  In any event, I think there will be a pregnancy soon – maybe already today.  I can see Josiah being a good dad and maybe that’s how he’ll get thru married life – have sex with his wife just when it’s time to make the next baby and then take good care of the babies so while his wife may wonder if this is what a normal marriage is like, as a fundie – she’ll at least be thankful to have a man who is a good daddy and takes out the garbage. In the end that wasn’t enough for Josh though, who also seemed like a good dad but in the end still stepped out on Anna.

• Love 20