Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, SMama said:

Lilly was only 13, WOW. Either she’s a prodigy to successfully tackle dual enrollment at that age (and from a homeschool background) or they take anyone (kinda but not really kidding). Good for them.

Watching the kidults THs was cringe worthy. History and Math as favorite subjects? That is why James at thirteen was doing third grade math flash cards? She Don’t even go there with history.

Joy made me laugh when she said they went straight into their “careers.” It was surprising for Josiah to admit he could have used the structure. Yeah, no shit Sherlock. I was disheartened when Josiah said he would consider college if he ever wants expertise in something (paraphrasing). No intellectual curiosity whatsoever. And how busy can he be not selling cars or real estate. 

I think Josiah had a lot of curiosity. Remember he wanted to hang out at Margie's house to learn about desktop publishing. I think any dream Josiah had has been stomped on time and time again by Boob. Boob doesn't want educated kids asking questions. I think it's one of the reasons he hates on Josiah because he so wanted more than Boob would allow. I can see Josiah complaining about wanted to go to school but ended up getting sent to ALERT.  I think Boob hates him for no reason but the fact that he wants to learn. Hence too why Boob set the poor kid up to get him married off. You can see it in Josiah's eyes that he truly doesn't love Lauren. Their relationship is very "forced." Lauren scares me. She probably is a scary drama queen if she doesn't get her way. Time will tell how long Josiah can put up with being unhappy.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

I think Josiah had a lot of curiosity. Remember he wanted to hang out at Margie's house to learn about desktop publishing. I think any dream Josiah had has been stomped on time and time again by Boob. Boob doesn't want educated kids asking questions. I think it's one of the reasons he hates on Josiah because he so wanted more than Boob would allow. I can see Josiah complaining about wanted to go to school but ended up getting sent to ALERT.  I think Boob hates him for no reason but the fact that he wants to learn. Hence too why Boob set the poor kid up to get him married off. You can see it in Josiah's eyes that he truly doesn't love Lauren. Their relationship is very "forced." Lauren scares me. She probably is a scary drama queen if she doesn't get her way. Time will tell how long Josiah can put up with being unhappy.

Curiosity is for sure one thing Boob will not allow. Plus, Josiah used to have some charisma and personality and we've all seen Boob and his lack of both. Off to ALERT with you to have those stomped out! MEchelle and Boob are both such abusive parents.

• Love 17

I assumed Lauren meant that she was a LPN.  Isn't that an Associates degree?   At one point, my son was looking into nursing for his associates degree.

It is not uncommon for homeschooled kids to be dual enrolled in a community college.  My two sons were.  I was very pleased and so were they.  My son had his associates degree at 18 and my other at 19. 

Lauren used the term "dual enrolled" so that is what she is talking about.  Her video made sense to me, surprisingly.   It's rare that anything with the Duggars make sense...

ADDING:

Ok, I looked at my son's school.  It is an AAS.NUR degree.  It takes 6 terms and then you apply to a four year college for the BS RN. At my son's school, it is heavy science, nutrition, one clinical (it seems), math, statistics, pharmacology, nursing topics, public speaking, writing and of course, the usual college basics.

That makes sense because Lauren said she was "done" and didn't want to pursue nursing.  Once again, it seems that Lauren is accurate and not telling Duggar bullshit stories.  I'm completely shocked.  I showed my son the video of Lauren and he understand it also and felt it was accurate.  Who knew? 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Our local Community College offers an AA in nursing that is highly regarded.  The hire rate is quite high.  The AA RN has to pass the same state boards as a nurse with a BSN.  Our maternity and NICU departments had RNs who did not have their BSN; they just could not be in  a supervising position. There are many RN to BSN programs available for the working RN. The RN program is longer and much more complete than an LVN program.  It is quite an accomplishment to complete the program  and it is a very respectable and and worthwhile degree to have.

But it's likely that Lauren did this program online. If so, I am downgrading its relevance. As noted, the degree is in PRE-nursing. That doesn't sound like it qualifies one to work anywhere.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

It is not uncommon for homeschooled kids to be dual enrolled in a community college.  My two sons were.  I was very pleased and so were they.  My son had his associates degree at 18 and my other at 19. 

There is a very large federal push to have dual enrollment for public high school students. My college tutoring lab is funded by the Perkins grant and promoting dual enrollment is part of that grant. Since so many classes are now offered online even the rural school districts can participate.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 7

FYI, Lauren is 19 and has been since May (before she married). I have heard and seen other young brides before. Most of the teen brides I've known and seen have been on television (The Bates/Duggars, and also a few brides on SYTTD:Atlanta and Four Weddings (both TLC shows)). 

I didn't watch the clip. Did the sister say she was sixteen or is that the internet guessing?

I like that her sister wants to keep pursuing a career and hope she doesn't end up a Duggar bride (at least for some time to come). 

• Love 3

Lauren did a pre-nursing program. She is not a nurse. She stated she doesn’t want to continue her education but is glad she can say to her children, “Look what I did”. She also said she’s a slow learner. 

My sister did a 2 year program, is an RN, in New York, making a very nice salary. She started in the emergency room, worked in the operating room, and now works for a law office reviewing cases. She’ll retire in the next couple of years and has done very well for herself and family.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

But it's likely that Lauren did this program online. If so, I am downgrading its relevance. As noted, the degree is in PRE-nursing. That doesn't sound like it qualifies one to work anywhere.

In the video they are touring the campus, they talk about the challenge of adjusting to classroom learning and structure. They mention spending two years at the college. Real school. (No shade on real homeschoolers.)

• Love 12

Either way, for a family whose previous high bar for female education was a certificate (Jill), Lauren has accomplished something and knows something about something. (I also point out that this means the person online who said she was in a college psychology course with Lauren, was probably not in fact telling porkies or thinking of someone else.)

• Love 15
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I"m going to look into that.  What exactly can you do with an AAS-NUR degree? Like I said, my son was planning on doing this and decided he didn't want to go into nursing. He would've immediately gone into a four year school so where he would work with an AAS-NUR degree wasn't really on the radar. 

I doubt Lauren could do all of that online.  There are science labs, clinicals, public speaking,  etc.  Some classes?  Sure but so can everyone do a few online.  I would post the AAS-NUR course of study but I don't really want to post publicly which school my sons and now my daughter attend/attended. 

It seems that Lauren showed up at a real college and took real classes.  Not shocked that Lauren did this.  I'm shocked that anyone connected to Duggarville actually did anything legit.  (that's a great homeschooling reputation ya got there, Duggars! thanks so much!)

• Love 4

This is from the Georgia Military College page:

Pre-Nursing

About This Program:

The purpose of the pre-nursing program is to provide students a liberal arts based pre-nursing program of study through the foundational coursework credits and many of the pre-requisites needed for admission to a nursing program. The Pre-Nursing Program provides a holistic approach to the education of GMC students by emphasizing character education and critical thinking.

Program Benefits:

Upon completion of the degree, students are well prepared for admission to Registered Nursing (R.N.) programs throughout the state of Georgia and adjacent states. This program prepares students for completion of two-year Associate of Science in Nursing (A.S.N.) programs, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.) programs at four-year institutions, and R.N. bridge programs at participating institutions.

• Love 8

This is the coursework for an AAS-NUR degree. This fits exactly with what Lauren said.  I'm guessing she did not want to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam and that would explain what she meant when she said she didn't want to pursue nursing.  Her academic coursework is done. If she takes the exam, she could work. 

Lauren is being foolish by not taking the exam.  Even if she PLANS not to work, you never know how life can twist and turn. (hello Anna).  It does not hurt to be licensed and not need it rather than being in a bad situation and regret not taking the exam while it was fresh in your mind. 

Fall:

PSY 101: Introduction to Psychology 3 credits

ENG 101: English Composition I 3 credits

BIO 110/111 Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology I and Lab 4 Credits

SOC 101: Principles of Sociology 3 credits

PHI 101: Introduction to Philosophy 3 credits

Spring :

NUR 220: Nutrition in Nursing & Healthcare 3 credits

ENG 102: English Composition II 3 credits

BIO114/115: Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology II 4 credits with lab

PSY 256 : Developmental Psychology 3 credits

MTH 107: Introduction to Statistics 3 credits

ENG 102: English Composition II 3 credits

Your second year will consist of the following:

Fall:

NUR 130 Fundamentals of Nursing 4 credits

NUR 131 Fundamentals of Nursing Lab 1 credit

NUR 132 Fundamentals of Nursing Clinical 1 credit

History (General education credit towards BSN) 3 credits

BIO 155/156 Basic Microbiology and Lab 4 credits

Spring:

NUR 140 Nursing Care of the Childbearing Family 2 credits

NUR 141 Nursing Care of the Childbearing Family Clinical 2 credits

NUR 145 Nursing Care of Children and Families 2 credits

NUR 146 Nursing Care of Children and Families 2 credits

SPE 102 Public (general education credit towards BSN) speaking 3 credits

Diversity (General education credit towards BSN) 3 credits

Your third year would consist of the following :

Fall:

NUR 240 Nursing Care of Patients with Mental Health Alterations 2 credits

NUR 241 Nursing Care of Patients with Mental Health Alterations  Clinical 1 credits

NUR 245 Nursing Care of Patients with Medical Surgical Patients Health Alterations 2 credits

NUR 246 Nursing Care of Patients with Medical Surgical Patients Health Alterations Clinical 2 credits

Literature (General education credit towards BSN) 3 credits

ART 101 Introduction to Art, MUS 101 Introduction to Music or THR 101 Introduction to Theater (general education credit towards BSN) 3 credits

NUR 303 Pharmacology 3 credits

Spring:

NUR 250 Advanced Concepts in Nursing Care 4 credits

NUR 251 Advanced Concepts in Nursing Care Clinical 4 credits

NUR 301 Comprehensive Health Assessment Elective (BSN) 3 credits

NUR 216 Management and Professional Issues 1 credit

NUR 302 Pathophysiology 3 credits

Please note:  After completion of term 6, students are eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam and graduate with the AAS Nursing degree. Students will need to be licensed as a RN in NJ to begin semester 1 with XXXXXXX University. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 7

So after reading through this thread, and watching the video, I'm still confused.  Did Lauren study pre-nursing, which is basically prerequisites; or did she take the actual 2 year nursing program, which qualifies her to take the boards?

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

@Sew Sumi, Thank you for making the distinction between the two degrees, because there was obviously some confusion.  An actual AA RN is quite different from an on-line pre-nursing program.  I just didn't want any RNs who actually completed the nursing program at a community college to be slighted.  As I said before, all RNs must pass the exact same state boards.  The licensing board does not differentiate between the two programs.  Hospitals pay an RN with a 4-year degree  more than an RN with an AA, but many hospitals offer assistance to complete an AA to BSN program.  I know several AA RNs who worked full-time at the hospital while completing the program to complete their BSN.  My hospital would give the same pay to someone with a BNS and an AA RN who has a 4-year degree in another field.  You would need a 4-year degree to be able to be a supervisor, however.  The hospital would not ever hire someone with a "pre-nursing" degree.  That is probably a good way to decide if nursing was the career for you, but I don't know what type of employment you could get.

• Love 7

Would we set the goalposts for anyone else as "if you've finished a degree, in order to consider yourself anything it would have to have led to a job in your field", though?  It seems to me for the secular masses, we'd consider getting a degree to be the accomplishment which could stand alone.  My uncle used to work in management at a glass factory.  You can be sure that nobody in management in the glass factory who were degreed, held a degree which had anything remotely to do with glass, unless you count the person who had a BA in Ceramics, for example.  

• Love 7

Did anyone get the name of her school? 

I will look at the video again.  I think she did all this, got her "degree" and didn't sit for the exam, which basically useless.

Well, whatever she did, it's better than most of  Duggarville with the exception of Jeremy and I hate to say it but Derick too.  I love how we are interested in this! It's a first for a Duggar female or daughter in law.  Anna has some degree but it sounds kinda "college plus" online jazz. 

3 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Did anyone get the name of her school? 

I will look at the video again.  I think she did all this, got her "degree" and didn't sit for the exam, which basically useless.

Well, whatever she did, it's better than most of  Duggarville with the exception of Jeremy and I hate to say it but Derick too.  I love how we are interested in this! It's a first for a Duggar female or daughter in law.  Anna has some degree but it sounds kinda "college plus" online jazz. 

She went to Georgia Military College. She took pre-nursing. She was not enrolled in , nor did she complete a nursing program. 

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 9

Lauren only took courses which would prepare her for nursing school.  She did not take any actual nursing curriculum classes that include clinicals and would prepare her for the NCLEX.  There are many 4 year schools which do not accept students into their nursing programs until their 3rd year so taking all the prerequisites at a community college which has a guaranteed entry program would be a big cost saver.

If Lauren finished her AA in pre-nursing she did complete two semesters of anatomy and physiology and one semester of microbiology.  These should be fairly challenging classes and she would need to actually study.  Much above the level of the SOTDRT. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, queenanne said:

Would we set the goalposts for anyone else as "if you've finished a degree, in order to consider yourself anything it would have to have led to a job in your field", though? 

The goalpost isn't necessarily "a job in your field" but just a job, period. I love college! I have 3 AA degrees, 2 Bachelor's, and a Master's and I don't have a job in Social Science (AA), Web Developement (AAS, BAS), Information Systems Analysis (AAS, BAS), or Information Systems Security (MAS). But, I've been employed for the entire time I was going to school and beyond. 

I think Lauren getting a degree in pre-nursing makes more sense than Trace getting a Bible Studies certificate. Even if she doesn't work, she went to a secular college, as a minor, and took classes that introduced her to concepts foreign to her upbringing. Plus, if something ever happens to Josiah she has a field of study she's familiar with and could continue her education to become an RN. Trace's certificate and $5 will get him a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

• Love 18

FWIW many nursing prereqs 'expire' after five years or so, so she can't dilly around long. Some schools will take 7 or 10 year old grades, but not many. She'd have to retake science classes, even if she got straight A's, if she waits too long. Plus, do we know her GPA? She could have a solid 2.0. A 3.7 is a 'really low' GPA to get into many nursing programs nowadays, and admissions are very competitive. Depending on the school there are entrance exam (TEAS, etc) which require high grades, too.

• Love 1

Her general ed classes should be good for quite a long time. There were 20 years between my first attempt at college and my second and my English, Math, and Spanish classes transferred as credits for my new degree. My point was more that she had exposure to the concept of post-secondary education and a basic base of knowledge if she wanted to pursue nursing. 

• Love 4

If I were Lauren's mother, I'd strongly suggest that she take that last test to 'finish it off' properly. If she EVER wanted to continue on, she could much easier.

If they required her to do this before being allowed to court and marry Josiah, I bet that girl would have taken that exam asap and aced it. She gives me the lazy vibe.

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

“Pre nursing” just sounds like bullshit. 

If someone was looking to actually apply to nursing school, a pre-nursing degree could be a less expensive way to get some of the bookwork out of the way.  And, of course, if Lauren was able to do it online and at home, there's a big convenience factor involved, too.  I don't think Lauren took the clinical part of the program which would be required for her to sit for the exam to become an RN.  Obviously, those would need to be done in a regular hospital or outpatient setting and not online.  However, what she did do is not nothing, Plenty of people have degrees that don't exactly qualify them for a specific job; I know a few philosophy, art history, and literature majors who aren't philosophers, art historians or authors; but they got a background in areas of thought and learned ways to process information and use it that are useful no matter what field they chose to pursue.  Lauren apparently mostly took the coursework as a placeholder until she could get married, the only career goal she was permitted; back in the '50's and '60's, a lot of women went to college for an MRS.

Years ago, many colleges and universities offered a major called' Pre-medicine'.  Even back in the '70's when I was attending college, it was going out of fashion because only about 40% of people who applied to med school got in, so majoring in a subject where the odds were against actually getting to the final destination seemed like a waste.  Like most people who wanted to go to med school, I took the pre-requisites for med school along with majoring in another subject.  I majored in Genetics, so there was a lot of overlap.

• Love 16

I still can't figure Lauren out. She's apparently smart enough to pass college courses and her family is financially well off, so why did she marry Si? Nothing against the guy, but he's not particularly good-looking, not as charming as he thinks he is and has nothing on the ball career-wise. I know there's plenty of couples who are unevenly matched, but why wouldn't her parents encourage her to wait a few years and explore her options? Does the Duggar name really matter that much in their circles? 

• Love 23

It's like Pre-Law.  The handful of lower level classes you take can apply to other degrees as well.  I've got a BS in Business Admin, but I took 6 hours of Business Law.  I had no interest in the law, but they were among the options available. 

People just like to use the terms because they sounds more impressive and mature for an 18 year-old.  Just saying "I'm gonna take a bunch of classes until I figure out what I want to be" doesn't cut it anymore. 

• Love 10

It would make sense that the Georgia Military College would have an ASN or the like. Most post secondary schools designated as a" Military College or Academy " are part of the Military Junior College network. There you get an Associate Degree and roll onto an ROTC program at a 4 year. It used to be you could sit in the reserve as a 2LT and then 1LT but you had to have your Bachelor's degree to promote to CPT in the USAR. Many wouldn't find an ROTC program and try to complete school while working full time in the civilian world. If they didn't get it done in 8 years of federal time; they were discharged from the reserve. Army Nurses used to have more leeway and there are still some programs in place to finish your education and begin your commission in the reseve without having a full BSN but you have to complete your program in 24 months and you must have your BSN  to promote to CPT.

My question is: was Lauren actually considering a career in Army Nursing? Or is it just because GMC is in Millegeville, she wound up there. I'm confused and if it was addressed upthread, I missed it.

• Love 3

Did Lauren like school? If she didn't, but her parents expected her to have some sort of job before marriage, it might explain why Lauren felt the wait was soo long before a teen marriage.

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Did Lauren like school? If she didn't, but her parents expected her to have some sort of job before marriage, it might explain why Lauren felt the wait was soon long before a teen marriage.

I don't think she did like school.  She emphatically said she was finished with her schooling and that she was a slow learner.  She seemed desperate to marry (most anyone) so she can be a mom and a helpmeet and not have to worry herself in supporting herself by a real job.

• Love 17
29 minutes ago, louannems said:

I don't think she did like school.  She emphatically said she was finished with her schooling and that she was a slow learner.  She seemed desperate to marry (most anyone) so she can be a mom and a helpmeet and not have to worry herself in supporting herself by a real job.

Lmfaooo, for those of you who watch Teen Mom, Lauren's like the Fundie Chelsea. 

If Lauren hated school, I'm surprised she took nursing prerequisites. You'd think she would've gone with an easier major.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, leighdear said:

It's like Pre-Law.  The handful of lower level classes you take can apply to other degrees as well.  I've got a BS in Business Admin, but I took 6 hours of Business Law.  I had no interest in the law, but they were among the options available. 

People just like to use the terms because they sounds more impressive and mature for an 18 year-old.  Just saying "I'm gonna take a bunch of classes until I figure out what I want to be" doesn't cut it anymore. 

True, I have a slightly more practical associates degree and got a Bachelors and then Masters, but the community college absolutely offered ‘an AA in liberal arts’ to their gen studies people, and when I heard about that I was all ‘WTF?  A catch all two year version of the same degree people usually take four years to get? What’s the point in that? Learn a trade instead, or read at home like Abe Lincoln.’

I'm confused as to not only how Lauren got into the program, but why she took it.  If she is, by her own words, a "slow learner", then how did she get into the program when she was 16?  (Two year program, she's now 18/19, so she must have been 16 when she started, right?)  Also, why would she have taken it? Why would her parents have wanted her to take it?  I know that most parents want their children (daughters and sons) to be educated - but in this community, that isn't the case.  Unless her parents actually wanted her to continue on, but she knew that if she got married she wouldn't have to do so.

It kind of reminds me of the girlfriend of a guy I knew.  When she graduated from high school, her parents told her she had to either get a job or continue her education. She came up with an alternative - getting pregnant.  Without telling her boyfriend the plan.  She figured that if she had a baby she wouldn't have to do either option her parents gave her.  Through a wry twist of fate, she got pregnant with twins. So she had to work through the pregnancy and after the babies were born, in order to afford them.  Good example of "be careful what you wish for". I hope Lauren ends up happy with Josiah, but she seems to me as though she's playing a role.

• Love 12

Lauren and her sister were enrolled in the "dual enrollment" program so it covered two years of high school and two years of college by the taking the same classes and having them count for both high school and college.  She really didn't do anything extra except take the last two years of high school there.  She said it takes her longer to learn the material and that's what she means by slow learner.  It takes more time for her to absorb the material than whoever she was comparing herself with.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, queenanne said:

True, I have a slightly more practical associates degree and got a Bachelors and then Masters, but the community college absolutely offered ‘an AA in liberal arts’ to their gen studies people, and when I heard about that I was all ‘WTF?  A catch all two year version of the same degree people usually take four years to get? What’s the point in that? Learn a trade instead, or read at home like Abe Lincoln.’

That AA in liberal arts is for students who will transfer to a four year college to earn their bachelors in their chosen major. It’s just a way to give a degree to students who completed their first 60 credits of gen ed at the community college level. No one who earns that degree plans on stopping there. At my community college the AA in liberal arts is even called the “transfer degree.”

• Love 14
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Lmfaooo, for those of you who watch Teen Mom, Lauren's like the Fundie Chelsea. 

If Lauren hated school, I'm surprised she took nursing prerequisites. You'd think she would've gone with an easier major.

"...bbbb...but lauren is not lazy at all! She is an accomplished career woman! She has a college degree in nursing. I have a friend who's a cardiac nurse, and it's not easy. And ever heard of a housewife? There is nothing wrong with lauren being a housewife...some of us like being SAHM's. She and Josiah have an an amazing, perfect marriage and family! She is a super fashionable fundie wife and maybe keeps a perfect house (we don't have any proof she's a slob!) while mentally preparing herself to one day raise children. I'm sure she puts in a hard day's work while Siah is out earning the dough! Thinking about raising kids is not just sitting around doing nothing. She also had well-off parents who helped her get her start in life, and she's never had to work, but what's wrong with that? Some parents like to help their children. Lauren got all the way to eighteen before meeting Josiah. She's waited soooo long...she deserves it. I personally am still waiting for my Josiah. I just love everything about their adorable little family!!!! #goals"

/sarcasm

Anyone who follows TM2 will get it. ???

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 14

When Lauren says she's a slow learner, it's possible the homeschooling that she had before she went to school left her underprepared for the courses she was taking. She doesn't seem to be stupid, but she may not have the background to flourish in a real classroom. (Especially if she was pre-nursing, which probably has a lot of math and science courses.)

My impression on fundie parents is that they would just as happy if not happier having a daughter married rather than working.  After all if she's married she's more likely to stay fundie than someone working in the real world. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I still can't figure Lauren out. She's apparently smart enough to pass college courses and her family is financially well off, so why did she marry Si? Nothing against the guy, but he's not particularly good-looking, not as charming as he thinks he is and has nothing on the ball career-wise. I know there's plenty of couples who are unevenly matched, but why wouldn't her parents encourage her to wait a few years and explore her options? Does the Duggar name really matter that much in their circles? 

Lauren's dad seems quite enamored with old Jim Bob and more than happy to forge tighter bonds with the Duggars.  Maybe it's a financial thing and he sees money to be made in Arkansas.  I still haven't figured out why they even moved there, and how they came to be in such a huge house.  But Lauren's dad seems to be a player to me, so he's cooking up some sort of plans.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Christina87 said:

"...bbbb...but lauren is not lazy at all! She is an accomplished career woman! She has a college degree in nursing. I have a friend who's a cardiac nurse, and it's not easy. And ever heard of a housewife? There is nothing wrong with lauren being a housewife...some of us like being SAHM's. She and Josiah have an an amazing, perfect marriage and family! She is a super fashionable fundie wife and maybe keeps a perfect house (we don't have any proof she's a slob!) while mentally preparing herself to one day raise children. I'm sure she puts in a hard day's work while Siah is out earning the dough! Thinking about raising kids is not just sitting around doing nothing. She also had well-off parents who helped her get her start in life, and she's never had to work, but what's wrong with that? Some parents like to help their children. Lauren got all the way to eighteen before meeting Josiah. She's waited soooo long...she deserves it. I personally am still waiting for my Josiah. I just love everything about their adorable little family!!!! #goals"

/sarcasm

Anyone who follows TM2 will get it. ???

????

Yes- Lauren has really suffered in her long long wait to marry Josiah.  

I think Lauren wasn’t incredibly studious (even by funds standards) and was killing time until she could get married. 

• Love 8
On 8/30/2018 at 8:56 AM, Marigold said:

I"m going to look into that.  What exactly can you do with an AAS-NUR degree? Like I said, my son was planning on doing this and decided he didn't want to go into nursing. He would've immediately gone into a four year school so where he would work with an AAS-NUR degree wasn't really on the radar. 

I doubt Lauren could do all of that online.  There are science labs, clinicals, public speaking,  etc.  Some classes?  Sure but so can everyone do a few online.  I would post the AAS-NUR course of study but I don't really want to post publicly which school my sons and now my daughter attend/attended. 

It seems that Lauren showed up at a real college and took real classes.  Not shocked that Lauren did this.  I'm shocked that anyone connected to Duggarville actually did anything legit.  (that's a great homeschooling reputation ya got there, Duggars! thanks so much!)

The nursing hierarchy can be confusing! Hopefully this will clear it up:

An LPN (like JD’s fiancé Abbie) has usually taken a one-year vocational training course. LPNs have a narrower scope of practice than RNs and usually provide routine care for patients who aren’t acutely ill. They tend to work in nursing homes, clinics, and other non-hospital settings.

An AAS in nursing is a two or three year program comprised of general ed classes, science/math prerequisite classes, and clinical nursing classes. In all states (to the best of my knowledge) an AAS Nursing graduate can sit the NCLEX and, if they pass, become an RN. RNs work in all areas of practice and have more responsibility than LPNs. In many areas, AAS grad RNs can still get hired for hospital nursing jobs.

A BSN is a bachelor’s degree in nursing. It includes all the AAS stuff plus more advanced classes in theory and research. A BSN who passes the NCLEX is an RN just like an AAS grad who passes the NCLEX is. There is no legal difference in the scope of practice between the two groups and they are allowed to work the same jobs. That said, many hospitals do prefer BSN-level RNs and will either only hire BSN grads or require AAS grads to get their BSN within a certain period of time after being hired. There are a lot of reasons for this, most of which boil down to Medicaid reimbursement rates.

A pre-nursing degree doesn’t lead to any type of licensure. Lauren isn’t a nurse of any kind if this is the kind of degree she has.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

A pre-nursing degree doesn’t lead to any type of licensure. Lauren isn’t a nurse of any kind if this is the kind of degree she has.

So she can't do any kind of actual work associated with nursing? I'm asking because I thought her degree would make her something akin to what we here call an 'under-nurse' or nurse's aide which is essentially a three year vocational high school program/degree that qualifies you for hospital work, but only the (mostly) non-medical stuff. Kind of like a mix between the LPN and AAS you mentioned in your post, I think? Under-nurses do work in hospitals and do a lot of the heavy lifting like making beds, taking inventory and serving food to patients but also some of the simpler medical tasks like dressing wounds, putting in catheters, blood tests etc, but they can't plan or perform any actual treatments of patients since they're not licensed nurses with a Bachelor's degree. They are fully qualified to start working in hospitals straight after graduation though.

Seems a bit daft to do a two year program without anything practical to show for it in the end.

Edited by Vaysh
quoting issues
  • Love 4

It seems odd that both Lauren and Abbie geared their education toward nursing because of all the defrauding issues that could arise. I wonder if they chose that field for the same reason Anna chose early ed? Anna said she picked that to be a better mother and better at homeschooling. Maybe Lauren and Abbie feel they'll be better equipped to handle minor medical issues within their families. You know, Fundy logic.

• Love 9

It seems to me that Lauren took only pre-requisites and earned an associates degree in the process. She isn't educated, trained or prepared to perform any type of healthcare work. In my opinion, she dropped out. Not surprised as she was really going for her lifetime MRS degree.....which she obtained.

• Love 13