Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E09: I Thought We Were Playing It Nice / S29.E10: Riding a Bike Is Like Riding a Bike

• Start Topic

The race continues in Hanoi, Vietnam.

The race continues in Ninh Binh, Vietnam, where teams battle scorching heat while transporting shrimp baskets for one mile to a local fisherman. One racers nears their breaking point during the exhausting Roadblock.

Oh good gravy.  Is there anything Brooke can do without whining about it?  I am sad that she's in the final four.  Two-faced hypocrite that she is. 

I'm also sad about Team Fun, but mostly because that is a crap way to be eliminated.  Looks like Floyd was able to recover, though, which is good.  Heat stroke or heat exhaustion or whichever one he had is no joke.

Tara and Joey for the win!

• Love 20

I missed that this was a double episode so I have no idea what happened in the first half.  Second half was pretty brutal.  Though at least we were saved from Flo 2.0 breaking down on exactly the same task that totally destroyed original Flo.  Brooke is very cheerful when she doesn't have to do anything, isn't she?  I think Becca is not really a nice person but at least she withheld her internal monologue about how she thinks Floyd sucks when Floyd was actually around.  And I've thought London was kinda like Kris (of & Jon) all season, but not so much with that task.  Kris was surprisingly physical for her size.

• Love 7

Feel sorry for Floyd, heat exhaustion is no fun. Brooke was her usual whiny complaining self for two episodes tonight, doubling my time wishing I could slap her and yell "snap out of it". In the second episode, it looked like Scott did all the challenges, hauling the baskets and the rowing. She didn't do a durn thing. Hopefully her whiny ass will be out next time. Kudos to Tara & Joey for coming in third even with the additional detour.

• Love 17

Bungee jumping looks so cool.  I wish I had the nerve to do it.

Sorry Scott.  Red shows his ass yet again.

Brooke did 5 roadblocks? Doesn't seem like it. I'm glad he got it together!

"I'm crazy too!"  Love it.

Off to Vietnam.  I miss some airport drama......

I would love to visit there.

Good eye catching that yellow stick clue, Floyd.  They snagged a good taxi driver.

Ladder drama! And Brooke has her 1st tantrum of the evening......and on it rolls.  And on.  And on....

Uh Oh. Are Tara and Joey are missing a mannequin?

"It's all about the angles"  Indeed.  LoLo can't seem to figure it out.

And on.  And on.... Brooke really is a piece of work.  Shut up about the damned ladder!

Yay Team Fun!!  I've been to The Galapagos.  Awesome!

#Read Your Clue!!

Suspense!  Did the cab driver screw The Bickersons?

No.  

Sorry Tara, it's a RACE!  (For the umpteenth time this season, collectively) Just like LoLo didn't owe Brooke a ladder.

But of course it's NEL.  I'm sick of them.  If you read your bleeping clue, you would have been way ahead of them.

Now we're all making phony nice.  Enough of this alliance BS.  Maybe because they are all strangers??

Scott is more optimistic? A man on the gallows with a noose around his neck is more optimistic than Brooke.

Bus Station Drama?  Not so much.....

Awesome rock formations!  I prefer my two wheelers with engines :)

The Great Shrimp Trap Challenge!

"I don't trust 'em one bit!"  Me neither.

Uh Oh!  Floyd forgot some baskets! And more are dropping off.  No help from the peanut gallery.  I thought Floyd would be better on the bike.

And now begins Brooke's 2nd tantrum.  "OMG you're not giving birth"  LOL

Speed Bump!  6 dozed eggs....  hmmm...  crap.

That foot rowing looks really tough.  The heat would have killed me long ago.

Well done Scott! Good job London! Bummer Floyd!  I'll hate to see you go.  Did he think he was a good bike rider?

Down for the count?  They were good sports about it.

Logan was too tall for that.  Didn't they say they could switch rowers?

Again with the steps!!  Wow! They brought Ho-Chi-Minh back to life!  And right on cue it's tantrum number 3....No, wait,  they swapped out the real Brooke...for Little Miss Sunshine.

Ah well.  I liked the episode, the outcome, not so much.  I knew Matt&Red would win.  False hope I would be rid of Mom&Dad.  Vietnam looks spectacular.

• Love 5
(edited)

And I've thought London was kinda like Kris (of & Jon) all season, but not so much with that task.  Kris was surprisingly physical for her size.

Kris was Wonder Woman!

Brooke is one total hypocrite...but I don't think much of Scott either.  Sorry they were not eliminated.

Both legs were very physical -- and made even more so by the intense heat.  I was worried about Joey...but then Floyd is the one who actually was overcome in the second leg.  Yep, glad Becca did not voice her issues with Floyd within earshot of her teammate.  

As Matt pointed out, the trick with the bicyles and the oversize load was maintaining that constant speed.  That's why Scott and Joey were able to do it in one steady try.

Still rooting for Tara/Joey.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 10
(edited)

Aw, poor Floyd :( Loved their little rap at the end though. They really were the perfect partners for each other. I wonder if each team always has a medic close by.

I really need teams, even ones I like, to stop whining about U-Turns and other teams not helping them. RAAAAAAAAACE.

Bungee jumping is the one reason I could never be on TAR. There's just no way in hell I'd do it. Good for Scott for getting through it. And he's right, Brooke is the worst! Does she have any self-awareness whatsoever? She's going to be 80 yrs old and still bitching about Scott not holding the ladder.

Tara doesn't like heights? But wasn't she a paratrooper? Okaaaaaay then. By the way, what was their Speed Bump? I swear I blacked out and missed it.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 9
(edited)

I couldn't watch the second episode. I knew Floyd and Becca would get kicked out but to see them go out like that was just so painful.  I think they may be my favorite team in the years of TAR I've watched and I would love to see them race again.  Weeps. I am happy they won another leg, though.

Do the racers get paid per leg?  I hope so because Scott deserves something for putting up with Brooke.*  My goodness.  Just when I think she's about to get better, she gets worse.

*Although I see people saying he showed his ass too.  Maybe I missed it because I was fast forwarding somewhat. 

However, as much as Brooke annoys me, I wanted to slap Joey in the first episode with his bitching (and Tara too).  As soon as Brooke and Scott realized that there weren't enough ladders for everyone to do the challenge, they knew they were put at a big disadvantage that likely put them in the back of the pack.  While winning would be fun right now, the true race is to not lose and elimination happens thanks to the little things--like just missing out on the ladder challenge and having to switch.  Or because of not reading the clue fully.  It's not deceptive to let the only other team behind you to discover that for themselves to have any buffer you can get.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 10

I didn't get a chance to catch all of the first hour, but I did catch the second hour, and boy was it brutal! After three fairly easy legs, they finally get whammied with a pretty gruelling one. That's a pretty tough leg to go out on. I feel bad for Team Fun, but especially Floyd. He really did try his best but exhaustion and the bike challenge really got him. I truly buy his happy persona, more so than Becca's. It's fine, because Becca's overall an ok person, but I really did feel worse for Floyd, who didn't falter in his calming behaviour, even when things were going horribly wrong. 

Also, funny how Becca went from cocky ("oh, I'm not worried AT ALL") to absolutely pissed.

I did catch Scott having to do the bungee task and good for him. He really pulls his weight on the team. If it wasn't for Scott, their team would be way farther down the pack. I do think they have been the most consistent in where they place. Brooke really is awful. Her calling Scott a brat in the first hour was just icing on the cake. Yeah, sure, Scott's the brat. 

London finally annoyed me with her "Floyd! Help me!" with the bikes, since he was struggling and that was his second go. However, since London hasn't annoyed me before and has refrained from directly asking for help, unlike Brooke, I feel like I can give her a pass. Her and Logan were just fine after that, so it's all good. Plus, that task couldn't have been easy for the smaller people. It's not so much the balancing but the sheer strength in holding the bikes up.

Good on Tara/Joey for really turning their bad leg around for the second hour. 

I did note that teams were starting to break apart their "Teamwork" mantra in the first hour. I did miss the whole "who's mad at who", even with the explanation at the beginning of the second half, but finally teams seem to be learning to race. 

Matt is still the better of the two. I could really root for Matt and Scott to ditch their teammates and be their own team. Then they can be in the final 3 with LoLo and Team Mom and Dad. Also, is it just me, or does it feel like Matt's been taking a LOT of the roadblocks? I know that Redmond has a prosthetic leg (and I will admit, his leg jokes on the mat are pretty entertaining), but it feels like Matt is getting a lot of the tasks, especially the more physical ones. Apparently, Redmond has done four. 

Scott's patience with Brooke is truly amazing. His snark at her huffing and puffing ("Oh, she's giving birth again") had me chuckling. Seriously, I'd hand the win to just him for carrying Brooke through all these legs AND dealing with her hysterics and absolute abysmal behaviour toward him.

• Love 15

Sad to see #teamfun go down.  They both stayed positive to the end.

Tara and Joey annoy me  more than even Brooke.  All the whining about Scott and Brooke not telling them there were no ladders left was pathetic.  Even worse, they bitched about Scott and Brooke Uturning Mike and Liz when they U turned Team Fun.   It's a raaaaaaaaaace, so stop whining like little bitches 

• Love 19
(edited)

I have no problem with Tara and Joey uTurning TeanFun....it actually made sense.   Why Becca thought they were sneaky for doing it is what baffled me.

I also can't fault Joey and Tara for being unhappy that Brooke withheld information then bitched about it for 2 minutes.  That said, I can also understand why Brooke was blaming London for taking the ladder she had spotted first....but she never shut up about that or Scott "not holding her ladder."

Edited by sinycalone

CBS running ads showing Brooke & Scott in ep 2 during ep 1 took all the air out of the manufactured race-to-Phil drama. Glad that Joey & Tara weren't eliminated. I love them, but I can't figure out why they expected Brooke & Scott to tell them about the ladders when the two teams were fighting to not be last. Nor could I figure out how they looked at the picture of the window display, noticed the man, and decided to ignore him the whole time they built it.

The elimination was sad. I don't like seeing people physically unable to compete, especially someone who appeared as sweet and good-natured as Floyd.

• Love 17

Do these teams not understand the damn concept that other teams are NOT OBLIGATED to help you or tell you where things are?? It's Tara & Joey's time to bitch and moan about Scott & Brooke not helping them. Why? Since Joey always thought Brooke was deceitful then it shouldn't surprise him then. Lost major points with me tonight. Brooke asks if Joey is ok at the pit stop and Tara gets an attitude that now Brooke is worried. Well Brooke was worried about Joey's well being. They were just being ridiculous during the 1st hour.

Scott had me laughing when he said Brooke is giving birth again this time to twins. Why does Brooke start everything with "I can't"? Now she can't ride a bike. She was just unbearable during the mannequin detour just won't STFU. If I was Scott I would have whacked her in the mouth with a mannequin piece. Brooke is only encouraging to Scott when she's not doing much of anything. I want the team eliminated just so I don't have to hear or see Brooke. Also laughed when Scott told her to shut up about the damn ladder.

I felt so bad for Floyd he had to do the roadblock over and over to the point of fatigue and dizziness and that sun and humid weather didn't help matters either. I love that he stayed optimistic throughout didn't freak out and I believe he's truly like that outside the race. Becca on the other hand not so much. 

LoLo still go at their pace and slowly moving up the ladder. I would like to see them win the whole thing. Logan and London definitely should have switched the roadblock and detour. Logan is too tall for the boat and London could barely ride the bike. 

At least no teams had a Flo moment with the bikes and were able to get through it without so much trouble minus Floyd...poor Floyd.

• Love 11

Did not have a good day. Then I had two hours of Brooke whining, Scott not exhibiting the saintly patience of Zach, and a grueling leg that demanded a lot from the Racers. Oh, and the one really likeable guy almost dies. I know, Mark came closer, but damn. Oh, and we got flashbacks featuring the goddamn hippies and Flo. Arrrrrrrrrgh. Great that we'll have another season someday, because this season would be downright painful to go out on.

And Floyd couldn't bike back the first time to pick up the baskets? I'm thinking if Elise & Bert had to do the leg over, Racers would've been allowed to drop the baskets off. I mean, Floyd shouldn't tried to help London, but he shouldn't have done an additional lap. I'll give him credit for trying, and I give Becca credit for supporting him even as she was getting mad on the sidelines. They were not the perfect team, but they managed to gel together for he most part, and they will be missed.

Aside from maybe The Boys, I don't think anybody came off well. LoLo continues to exist against all odds. Tara & Joey start showing cracks, as well as Joey's accent. And why, why, WHY couldn't Phil eliminate Brooke & Scott? She's horrible, and he's a pain in the butt. I mean, he's way better than her, but his stock dropped a lot tonight.

ETA: Big-ups to Scott for the bungee, though watching the staff beckon him was funny, because he actually did it.

• Love 7
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Did not have a good day. Then I had two hours of Brooke whining, Scott not exhibiting the saintly patience of Zach, and a grueling leg that demanded a lot from the Racers. Oh, and the one really likeable guy almost dies. I know, Mark came closer, but damn. Oh, and we got flashbacks featuring the goddamn hippies and Flo. Arrrrrrrrrgh. Great that we'll have another season someday, because this season would be downright painful to go out on.

And Floyd couldn't bike back the first time to pick up the baskets? I'm thinking if Elise & Bert had to do the leg over, Racers would've been allowed to drop the baskets off. I mean, Floyd shouldn't tried to help London, but he shouldn't have done an additional lap. I'll give him credit for trying, and I give Becca credit for supporting him even as she was getting mad on the sidelines. They were not the perfect team, but they managed to gel together for he most part, and they will be missed.

Aside from maybe The Boys, I don't think anybody came off well. LoLo continues to exist against all odds. Tara & Joey start showing cracks, as well as Joey's accent. And why, why, WHY couldn't Phil eliminate Brooke & Scott? She's horrible, and he's a pain in the butt. I mean, he's way better than her, but his stock dropped a lot tonight.

I hate everything about Brooke and I hate that Scott panders to the camera. The guy is trying so hard to book a sitcom deal after the race. That said, he does have to deal with Brooke. Is she the worst or what? OMG! STFU!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

She even looked at the picture and then at the woman with a 'what's wrong?' gesture like she didn't comprehend there were three figure in the picture and two in their display...

Poor Floyd... and even while he was super-struggling himself he did his best to help London. Good guy that Floyd, crappy way to go out.

I couldn't understand that. She/They really didn't see 3 mannequins in the picture? I can understand misreading the clue but actually not seeing 3 bodies in the picture is kind of odd. IMO!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 11
(edited)

Wow, that was a tough leg. In that heat! Oh poor Floyd, when he sat down while Joeys was being counted, I knew it was too much for him. I cried when his bike fell over and he just lay there, I cried with Becca..gawd, what's wrong with me.

Please don't let Scott and Brooke win, I don't know how many times I muted her, she's a screamy whiny little girl, and actually he's quite funny at times, how he stays motivated with her as a partner I don't know.
Oh poor team fun, its so unfair to be eliminated that way...

That heat looked exhausting, mum and dad did well! We cheered when the first hour was a NEL.
I really like Matt and Redmond, so positive. The scenery was nice, and we get to see a little more as the numbers dwindle. I have no desire to go there, so watching them is fine by me.

Scott had me laughing when he said Brooke is giving birth again this time to twins. Why does Brooke start everything with "I can't"? Now she can't ride a bike.

And Scott said but you go to spin class!! LOL

Edited by F. M.
  • Love 8
37 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

That said, I can also understand why Brooke was blaming London for taking the ladder she had spotted first

I thought London spotted it first and then Brooke and Scott rushed over to try to get it. London looked at Brooke and was like "Brooke?!" then, when they were leaving, London said "Not cool, guys!"

56 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

This reminds me of the first two TARs, when a likable, fun team (Kevin & Drew, Danny & Oswald) who seemed able to win it all got eliminated shortly before the final stretch. I remain a fan.

The dreaded 4th place curse!

21 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

She even looked at the picture and then at the woman with a 'what's wrong?' gesture like she didn't comprehend there were three figure in the picture and two in their display...

I think, because, Tara misread the clue and thought they only had to bring 2 mannequins, she was only thinking about what was wrong with the 2 they had. #ReadTheClue (I would have added "Dumbass" to that hashtag.)

• Love 6

So sad Team Fun is gone. :-( I'm surprised more people didn't succumb to the brutal heat. 

When was the last time Redmond did a Roadblock?

Amen to STFU with complaining about not being helped by your COMPETITORS! 

• Love 9

I've been to the Corinth Canal, years and years ago, when the Colonels' junta ran the country.  There was a gigantic banner draped from cliff to cliff honoring the dictators who were running things.

Wow, Greece to Vietnam?  that's a looong flight.

Matt is such a bro.  And yet, he's still likeable.

Why did Scott have to do that particular roadblock, even if they were tied in the number of roadblocks they've done? Especially since Scott had to do the next roadblock as well.

Wow, Floyd, good eye with the fan with the yellow stick.

Oh, God, Brooke shut the fuck up.  She's going to win this whole thing, isn't she? "I just want this to be over."  Yeah, I know how you feel.  I want it to be over, too.

#ReadYourClue  Oh, my God, How could they be looking through the window and not notice that the picture had an extra mannequin?

Scott is SO done. #FreeScott

Man, those baskets on the bikes looked horrible to do. Poor Floyd.

I knew Brooke was going to lose it when she saw those steps.

The guy at the pit stop looked like Ho Chi Minh.  :)

Damn, I hate losing Team Fun.

• Love 8

I can't stand it when they help each other.   Even when Floyd told Matt and Redmond to look for the yellow stripe on the fans, to find the clue.  Just let them figure it out.  

Brooke was not nearly as bad the second hour.  Oh yeah -- she didn't have to do ANYTHING!  Well, she had to ride a bike, and it was hot, and she had to climb stairs.   And even though that was all she had to do, she still managed to whine and complain about it.  She is the worst.  Absolutely. 

These seemed like about the toughest tasks .  The most physically demanding in the most hot and humid climate.  I too am surprised there were not more issues with the heat. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Squirrely said:

Why no one was shouting "PIVOT! PIVOT! PIVOT!" while maneuvering those ladders up the stairs is beyond me. Matt's pitiful little "pivot" does not count as he was clearly not channeling his inner Ross. 

Man, leg 2 was brutal. "Now she's having twins." Snerk. I was cracking up. I don't care that he lost his shit with her. It's been a long time coming. I wouldn't have made it an hour in her company in any leg without blowing up.

all I could picture was ross screaming PIVOT 

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, enlightenedbum said:

And I've thought London was kinda like Kris (of & Jon) all season, but not so much with that task.  Kris was surprisingly physical for her size.

Man, I loved Kris and Jon, and she remains one of my all-time sentimental favorites. On a season with some truly horrible people, she just glowed with an inner and outer beauty. 

If they ever did an all stars strangers pairing, I'd love to see Kris and Floyd team up. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, enlightenedbum said:

I missed that this was a double episode so I have no idea what happened in the first half.  Second half was pretty brutal.  Though at least we were saved from Flo 2.0 breaking down on exactly the same task that totally destroyed original Flo.  Brooke is very cheerful when she doesn't have to do anything, isn't she?  I think Becca is not really a nice person but at least she withheld her internal monologue about how she thinks Floyd sucks when Floyd was actually around.  And I've thought London was kinda like Kris (of & Jon) all season, but not so much with that task.  Kris was surprisingly physical for her size.

Well, if you missed the first half, you missed Brooke yelling at her partner non-stop, for something that wasn't really his fault.  She wouldn't stop yelling, and wouldn't collaborate on how to do the task, just kept blaming him.

• Love 9

Damm, that was sad. Floyd is so genuinely likeable, I felt so bad for him. I was wondering wth he was thinking when he was sitting there talking about wanting to take a nap, but I also thought heat exhaustion was getting to him. Then he finally gets the clue and did not seem to be doing that well on the ride back, a little too trembly, and of course everything escalated from there.

At this rate, I want anyone but Brooke to win.

• Love 10
(edited)

I wrote something else, posted it, and am now editing to remove that comment.  It was so mean-spirited that even Brooke didn't deserve it, and I refuse to lower myself to that level, no matter how annoying she is.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 3
(edited)

Hahahaha first episode Scott to Brooke: you're not giving birth!

second ep: she's giving birth again!

Tara on the boat task: this is harder than giving birth 

hahahahaha

ps Tara on manequin detour: what are we missing?! (2 manequins vs 3 in the pic)

wahahaha

Edited by piequinn35
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I’m so pissed off, friggin Brooke is still in the race, but Team Fun are gone. This show sucks

Why couldn’t Becca say anything when Floyd dropped some shrimp traps? People yell out helpful stuff all the time.

I hate Brooke, that’s all, I just hate Brooke. Why isn’t she eliminated?????

Why was London screaming for Floyd to help her? She really got on my nerves “My bike is broken, waaaaaa”

• Love 8
(edited)
18 minutes ago, GaT said:

I’m so pissed off, friggin Brooke is still in the race, but Team Fun are gone. This show sucks

Why couldn’t Becca say anything when Floyd dropped some shrimp traps? People yell out helpful stuff all the time.

I hate Brooke, that’s all, I just hate Brooke. Why isn’t she eliminated?????

Why was London screaming for Floyd to help her? She really got on my nerves “My bike is broken, waaaaaa”

I don't think teammates are allowed to assist the one doing the roadblock. They can yell out encouragement, but that's it.

I seriously thought that Tara and Joey realized they'd missed the third mannequin and just thought it would be easier to just go ahead and put everything together before running back for the third. I was shocked when they actually asked for a check from the judge! WTF

I was really hoping Brooke would do the shrimp trap roadblock. I think she'd still be doing it.

Poor Floyd :( I'm so sad he and Becca went out like that.

Edited by kris4n6
  • Love 15

Cannot stand teams who get all high & mighty when another team treat the race like a competition.  If someone chooses to give help, fine. If they choose to not give another team an advantage, that's fine too.  Tara started to lose me beginning in Italy.  Tonight was the final straw.  Particularly since they were ahead of Brooke and what's-his-name and only came in last through their own fault. Also, pretty sure they road blocked someone earlier. 

Poor Team Fun.  This leg should have been the non-elimination leg instead of the one before it. I could swear they used to have non-elimination legs timed when the tasks were super strenuous. 

I know Brooke is whiney, but I can't deny finding her entertaining.  

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And Floyd couldn't bike back the first time to pick up the baskets? I'm thinking if Elise & Bert had to do the leg over, Racers would've been allowed to drop the baskets off. I mean, Floyd shouldn't tried to help London, but he shouldn't have done an additional lap.

Floyd was dropping things off his bike before he even fully left the roadblock, so he would've had to have gone back to the start anyway. 

• Love 2

The first leg definitely seemed like an easier leg on the teams than the second one was.  All five teams seemed to struggle in different ways, though one struggled the least.

So the performances for the first leg:

Becca & Floyd: Perfectly-run leg on their part!  They figured out how to find the clue among the fan-swinging ladies, found the temple with no problem, found the bamboo shop at Bamboo Climb with no problem, and completed it with only one hitch that they quickly solved.  Then, they outran Matt & Redmond to the Pit Stop for their second win!  Great job!

Matt & Redmond: Yeah.  Still douches.  But effective douches, unfortunately.  They ran another perfect leg, knocking the Bamboo Climb Detour right out of the park.  If anything, just being steps behind Becca & Floyd the entire leg led to them finishing second.  But I was okay with that since I hate them.

London & Logan: Steadily staying the course.  While their leg was not as perfect, it was still a good one, with their quick grab of the ladder to shut Brooke & Scott out of the Bamboo Climb Detour and taking the last spot in that Detour.  They struggled with the last part of squeezing the ladder onto the roof, but finally managed to do it, finished the Detour, and managed to land solidly in the middle of the pack once again.

Brooke & Scott: Honestly, the way this first leg went for them, they'd better be feeling very lucky not have finished last.  Scott whines his way through another heights-based Roadblock, Brooke barely misses their chance at nabbing the last ladder for the Bamboo Climb Detour, and she blames Scott for not holding the ladder for her as they're forced into the Window Design Detour.  And Brooke whines her way through that task, too, as the pieces of the mannequins prove way too tough for her to carry.  And worse still, Brooke melts down over their cab driver taking them to the wrong park for the Pit Stop.  They lucked out majorly that Tara & Joey didn't read the clue and take their third and last mannequin with them.  Otherwise, they'd have been Speed Bumped.  Although based on what happened on the next leg, they probably would've been fine.

Tara & Joey: First to last for them, and it was completely their fault.  After being forced into the Window Design Detour, they completely forget about their third mannequin and still ask for a check despite not having it.  Only then do they realize that they didn't have it and have to go back.  This was their major mistake that sent them crashing down to the bottom.  But they hit a non-elimination leg, so they should be feeling very lucky to still be in it.

And the performances for the second leg:

Matt & Redmond: Admittedly, it was a perfect leg for them.  They got on the first bus to Ninh Binh, rode their bikes effectively to the temple, Matt knocked the Roadblock right out, and he got the hang of rowing their boat with his feet decently enough to keep them in what seemed to be a pretty comfortable, commanding lead.  Still hate them, though, and want them out.

Brooke & Scott: Honestly, Scott is the one to thank for their highest finish thus far.  They got on the second bus to Ninh Binh, and they fell far behind due to Brooke's ineffectiveness with riding her bike.  Scott passed up some teams, though, with his timely completion of the Roadblock, and he rowed their boat very well with his feet.  All this combined to give them second place.  Good job . . . to Scott.

Tara & Joey: Fantastic job.  They caught the second bus to Ninh Binh and really worked to catch up.  They rode to the temple well ahead of Brooke & Scott and London & Logan, and they completed their Speed Bump as quickly as they could.  Then, Joey just killed the Roadblock, and Tara calmly did the rowing of their boat with her feet, even though she did lose her cool on Joey at least once during the task.  Still, they completely redeemed themselves from the last leg and came in third, masterfully making up the time they needed to stay in the race.

London & Logan: A rougher leg for them than usual.  They caught the second bus to Ninh Binh, but everything else seemed to go to hell for them there.  They rode their bikes to the temple and to the Roadblock okay, but London struggled majorly at that task and only has Floyd struggling more to thank for staying in it.  Logan was sweet to do the rowing for her since he knew she was tired.  Because of Floyd's energy completely giving out, they were pretty much ensured to survive the leg, and they did by coming in fourth.

Becca & Floyd: Two legs in a row, the previous leg winners pull a first-to-worst.  They caught the first bus ton Ninh Binh, but everything pretty much crumbles after that.  Why, oh, why did Floyd do such a physical Roadblock in such terrible heat?  And even worse, he didn't stop to pick up what he'd dropped as he went along.  He went all the way to the finish point, thinking that he could just pick them up afterwards rather than just stop to pick them up along the way.  As bad for him as I felt, he really shouldn't have taken the chance.  Had he stopped along the way to pick them up, he might've only needed one trip, and he and Becca wouldn't have fallen so behind.  Add in him pretty much losing the rest of his energy on the way to the rowing, and it was pretty much over.  Shame to see them go out that way.  If TAR30 (now that the show has been renewed) is the usual returning teams season (every season with a number divisible by six typically has been since TAR18), I hope they're at the top of the list to invite back.  I will miss you, Team Fun.

F4 leg next.  Interested in seeing who falls victim to the final elimination!

• Love 5

The foot rowing was invented to keep hands free to hold an umbrella, is that what Phil said? Someone should start working on a foot rice-planting technique so those poor rice farmers could finally chuck their large hats. 

I've been indifferent about Team Fun this whole season but I really hate how they're gone and Brooke is still in this race.  Poor Floyd.  Why was he losing traps all along the way and others made it on one attempt?  And it was so sweet of him to help London when he was clearly in need of assistance himself.  Yeah, Becca.  I'm SURE you would've been so much more effective on that task.  Shut up.

Brooke is the definition of insufferable.  Scott might be eligible for sainthood following this race. 

Depsite the grueling tasks, Matt and Redmond just keep smiling.  I can't help it--I like them.  I like Team LoLo too.  So unassuming.  But at this point, I'm just "Anyone but Brooke."

• Love 10
1 hour ago, absolutqt said:

I've been indifferent about Team Fun this whole season but I really hate how they're gone and Brooke is still in this race.  Poor Floyd.  Why was he losing traps all along the way and others made it on one attempt?  And it was so sweet of him to help London when he was clearly in need of assistance himself.  Yeah, Becca.  I'm SURE you would've been so much more effective on that task.  Shut up.

Brooke is the definition of insufferable.  Scott might be eligible for sainthood following this race. 

Depsite the grueling tasks, Matt and Redmond just keep smiling.  I can't help it--I like them.  I like Team LoLo too.  So unassuming.  But at this point, I'm just "Anyone but Brooke."

I'm afraid Brooke & Scott are going to end up like Flo & Zach. Winners! She has been so horrible that it's be hard to watch this season.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, GaT said:

She really got on my nerves “My bike is broken, waaaaaa”

I mean, it was literally broken. After struggling with 30+ baskets and biking for 2km or however long it is, then having to run the 2km back while the guy behind you happily flew by on his non-broken bike, I would be pissed too. Except she wasn't even complaining, she just said it sucked and kept running. She panicked on the way there but she handled herself on the way back well. 

7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

When was the last time Redmond did a Roadblock?

Like all other teams and how it's split, he's got 4 while Matt has 5.  I remember Matt doing the pallet climb, the market task, the changing of the guard, the biking and the bungee last episode which means Redmond last did the mask painting in Venice, two episodes ago. Yes, Matt has been doing the more physical tasks but just as how that always happens when it's a male/female split team (and really why they implemented that rule to start with as the men always took most of them), it makes sense for Red to take the less physical tasks up front in case something happens (like the foot rowing, if that were a roadblock) near the end that he literally wouldn't be able to do. 

• Love 9

Maybe it's because Flo 2.0 Brooke is always screeching "I CAAAAN'TTT!!!!", but it seemed to me Scott had done more of the tasks than she had.  That's why I was squeeeing in anticipation of Brooke having to do the bike/fish trap thing.  But, nope.  Then I saw there was a river/boat task and for a brief moment I had flashbacks to Flo in those round wicker basket boats.  Again I was hoping that task would happen and Brooke would have to implode. Nope again. I have a horrible feeling those 2 are going to win just because I dislike Brooke so so so very much.  In addition to her rotten attitude, it irks me that once she makes it to the mat, she acts as if all is great and she was an amazing competitor and partner.  Talk about a revisionist. 

Were the Race production planners trying to kill someone on these legs?  Bungee jumping and then torturous bike riding, ladder climbing, manequin-carrying. foot rowing AND climbing 500 steps in 90% humidity and 100+ degree heat???  Thank goodness Phil came down the mountain to meet up with Floyd and Becca for their elimination.  The only way Floyd could have made it up there was in an ambulance.

• Love 20

Comparing Brooke's constant meltdowns while performing relatively simple tasks with Floyd never complaining and even stopping to help another racer while on the verge of heat exhaustion really drove home how special Team Fun was.  Perhaps Floyd and Becca will make a return appearance some day and I hope they remain friends.  Oh, and points to Becca for correctly using Yiddish when she said she was "shvitzing."

As soon as the shrimp basket task was revealed I thought of Flo and while I didn't need to see her again I had to chuckle at that flashback clip.

• Love 23
7 hours ago, F. M. said:

Oh poor team fun, its so unfair to be eliminated that way...

It was sad, excruciating in fact, but though I want to call it unfair, I can't. It happened because Floyd somehow didn't fasten everything securely (unlike all the others) and didn't notice them dropping. So it was, however unhappy I am about it, his doing.

7 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

The dreaded 4th place curse!

Though this one was 5th place.

5 hours ago, GaT said:

It's a rule (that has, I think, been added during the history of the Race, because in the past people did indeed yell out too-helpful stuff). You can offer generic encouragement but can't give any kind of advice during a Roadblock.

2 hours ago, Nalan said:

And even worse, [Floyd] didn't stop to pick up what he'd dropped as he went along.  He went all the way to the finish point, thinking that he could just pick them up afterwards rather than just stop to pick them up along the way. 

No, he didn't realize at the time that he'd dropped anything, or he would have stopped and retrieved it. But with the ridiculous size of those bike loads, you really can't see behind yourself in the road. He didn't know his count was short until he got to the check point and was told. Then he hoped he could at least drop what he'd brought and go back, but was told otherwise.

• Love 5

Omigosh, that was absolutely brutal.  I was worried for Floyd.  That could have been (was!) really dangerous.  Still I was hoping he'd recover enough to finish and he and Becca would pass a whimpering Brooke on the stairs.  I guess since Brooke didn't have to do anything other than give birth twice pedal a bike she had enough energy to climb the steps.  Becca was really devastated but kindly did not complain to Floyd.  Maybe they'll be given a second chance at TAR.

I still don't like how most of the racers continue to think others owe them help and/or information and are angry when it doesn't come, but for the most part the rest of the teams are ok and I wouldn't mind any of them winning.  Since I generally prefer competence over personality, I guess either Tara and Joey or the Boys for the win.  Scott does crack me up though with his Brooke snark.  LoLo are just kind of there.

• Love 11
(edited)

Am I the only one here who is actually mad at the race designers for getting Floyd to that point? What dumb rule was it that you had to take all of that stuff back when you lost something, in that heat?! They must have seen it coming that somebody could very well get a bad case of heat exhaustion from this. It's not like this hasn't happened before, but until now there wasn't anything anybody could have done, here they could have.

Hope mom and dad win the whole thing (even though their whining about stuff that is part of the race is slightly annoying). They seem to be the only worthy team left. Maybe the boys, but I'm just meh on two young men winning the race again.

6 hours ago, GaT said:

The other teammate can not help with roadblocks in any shape or form other than yelling generic encouragement. Redmond could have said something, but I understand why he didn't. They probably thought this was going to be a race for first.

36 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Oh, and points to Becca for correctly using Yiddish when she said she was "shvitzing."

Didn't even notice that. Since Yiddish is so close to german (a lot of the time), I just hear it as german and even though it's in an otherwise english show. My brain just doesn't register it. (in this case the german word would be "schwitze" [way closer in pronounciation as the written word would suggest])

Edited by Miles
  • Love 6